PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Bogut is unique

Chronz
12-11-2014, 05:05 PM
The dude came into the game as a horrible defender. Absolutely horrible. Some how he turned himself into a shot blocker and then he became a DPOY caliber defender. How many guys have grown into that? How great would Bogut have been had he never injured his shoulder? I honestly dont know of too many comps.

Goose17
12-11-2014, 05:28 PM
He led the league one year in blocks and charges drawn before getting injured. That's s rare combination.

I think he could have been a franchise guy. Maybe not the number one. But when you think of the guard/big men duos over the years. He could've been one of those.

His passing is elite from his position. No debating it.

His defense is high caliber.

His scoring ability is average.

After injuring his shoulder his shot never really came back and he's struggled to score. I think that's the area of his game that was hurt the most.

Edit; I think his weak defense coming into the league was more to do with a lack of knowledge on spacing and the fact that he wasn't as strong as he is now.

ewing
12-11-2014, 05:47 PM
He led the league one year in blocks and charges drawn before getting injured. That's s rare combination.

I think he could have been a franchise guy. Maybe not the number one. But when you think of the guard/big men duos over the years. He could've been one of those.

After injuring his shoulder his shot never really came back and he's struggled to score. I think that's the area of his game that was hurt the most.

Edit; I think his weak defense coming into the league was more to do with a lack of knowledge on spacing and the fact that he wasn't as strong as he is now.

i think this is big thing. Kind of like JJ Reddick who was a terrible defender and became a tolerable one. He always understood what he was supposed to do but he was often physically overpowered.

Chronz
12-11-2014, 06:30 PM

Jermaine Oneal is the other guy I remember being adept at both charge taking and blocking shots. I miss that guy.

As for his weak defense early on, thats what bad defenders are. They have little to no clue on where to position themselves but Bogut is a very special case IMO. The guy was averaging less than a block per36 minutes his first 2 years in the league, hes almost tripled that rate by now. I dont know if we've ever seen anything like that, at least not off the top of my head.

When he first came in I was honestly expecting a Vlade Divac clone. Hes not quite the passer Vlade was but damn has he become a defensive beast.

FlashBolt
12-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Impressive but tbh, this guy's career is done. The amount of minutes he is playing likely is in effect because of some nagging injuries. Don't know the deal there but if he can't play 30 minutes consistently, I don't care what he does.