PDA

View Full Version : Are you surprised that the Knicks are this bad?

%%%%
12-11-2014, 04:44 PM
They are 4-20, meaning they have the most losses of any team in the NBA (Sixers have 18 losses; Pistons 19).

Are you surprised?

I thought they would be close to .500, as they entered this season with a fresh coach (Fisher), a fresh offensive makeup (triangle), and a fresh contract for Carmelo Anthony.

Chronz
12-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Fresh triangle isn't exactly a good thing. Fresh coach isn't exactly a good thing.

Once they traded Chandler, I felt like that was when they were building for the future. I thought Calderon was the perfect triangle PG but more of a stopgap considering his age. I think they may look back on that trade as badly as Charlotte did. TC was so underrated for his regular season efficiency, people dont understand how important guys who selflessly roll to the rim, open the game up for their teammates. Guys like Tyson hurt isolation basketball (aka outdated offenses) but they absolutely open up the perimeter snipers.

Phil has historically been a bad talent evaluator IMO, hes made a bunch of ****** recommendations over his career but hes smart enough to grow into the role. That said, the Knicks came into the season with only 3 players who grade as above average producers and none of them impact the game defensively. So they were the most talent deprived team, the only reason people had a glimmer of hope was because of the hype behind Phil.

bucketss
12-11-2014, 05:00 PM
yes, i thought they would be bad but not this bad. i predicted like 7/8 seed.

Crackadalic
12-11-2014, 05:02 PM
No. I had them fighting for a 8th seed in a week east but the flaws are showing much more. We are 2-12 in games within 5 points or less in the last 5 minutes. On top of having 8 of your top rotation players that can't defend at the nba level and you have a 4-20 record.

With Melo getting knee surgery and still getting injuries just tank for a top 3 pick and get Okafor/Towns/Mudliey moving forward

sixers247
12-11-2014, 05:03 PM
No, they have an awful roster. Only Knicks fans seemed to think they would be any good.

JayW_1023
12-11-2014, 05:03 PM
They have no good defenders left and that includes Shumpert.

Chronz
12-11-2014, 05:07 PM
They have no good defenders left and that includes Shumpert.

Always felt he was overrated on that end. Hes a great 1 on 1 defender but people dont understand that TEAM defense is of far greater importance than how you defend a single player with the ball. Or are you saying hes overrated on the ball as well?

JayW_1023
12-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Always felt he was overrated on that end. Hes a great 1 on 1 defender but people dont understand that TEAM defense is of far greater importance than how you defend a single player with the ball. Or are you saying hes overrated on the ball as well?

Both. He is a gambler on defense, somehow that merits being called a good on the ball defender. Positioning is way more important.

koreancabbage
12-11-2014, 05:12 PM
kinda expected to be fighting with Brooklyn for that last playoff spot but not this bad.

Goose17
12-11-2014, 05:14 PM
I expected they would miss the playoffs. Wasn't quite prepared for this though. I thought Jackson would blow up the roster and bring in some decent and reasonably high I.Q players.

FYL_McVeezy
12-11-2014, 05:21 PM
I was a bit optimistic heading into the season, but look at our roster, it really isn't THAT shocking. It's not like we were this playoff contender heading into this season anyways...

Oh well..

#KNICKSTANK

FYL_McVeezy
12-11-2014, 05:25 PM
I expected they would miss the playoffs. Wasn't quite prepared for this though. I thought Jackson would blow up the roster and bring in some decent and reasonably high I.Q players.

And how exactly was he supposed to do that THIS season?

Everyone who follows the Knicks closely knows the blowup is coming in 2015/16.

abe_froman
12-11-2014, 05:27 PM
not in the least surprised.they went out and got a coach who is new to such(and doesnt seem that equipped imo) and didnt really change their team much except trading their 2nd best player for crap. unless you were a knicks fan blinded by optimism ,it shouldnt be that much of a surprise. i thought it was pretty clear that this was a throw away year for them.

GiantsSwaGG
12-11-2014, 05:34 PM
#tanktape

Goose17
12-11-2014, 05:35 PM
And how exactly was he supposed to do that THIS season?

Everyone who follows the Knicks closely knows the blowup is coming in 2015/16.

Literally trade them for anything. Big expiring deals like Bargs can be worth something. Trade J.R for anything you can get. Anything.

It just seems to me why even bother running the triangle if you're going to let half the team go at the end of the year anyway? They're never going to learn it. Especially those bigs and J.R

FYL_McVeezy
12-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Literally trade them for anything. Big expiring deals like Bargs can be worth something. Trade J.R for anything you can get. Anything.

It just seems to me why even bother running the triangle if you're going to let half the team go at the end of the year anyway? They're never going to learn it. Especially those bigs and J.R

I'm guessing that Phil and the FO decided to ride it out for better or for worse.

Nobody wants those contracts....expirings(especially Stat's HUGE expiring) aren't that valuable to teams anymore. If we were actually trying this season I think we would tailor an offense for our roster(because you're right the Triangle doesn't fit them at the moment) but long term that's what we will play when we add people who can play in it. It gives Fish a free season to get some coaching experience LOL. He'll learn exactly how he wants to implement certain things when he's coaching a more talented team.

Agreed on JR, I wouldn't be shocked if he's moved before the trade deadline, but it would be as a salary dump, not to get anything in return that could help us.....

koreancabbage
12-11-2014, 06:17 PM
noone wants anyone on that team. except Melo.

Maybe Jose as the backup PG.

KingstonHawke
12-11-2014, 06:33 PM
When I said they should trade for Kobe most of yall said they were better off retaining STAT. How yall feel about that now? At least with Kobe and Melo they'd be in the playoff discussion. Having someone who understand the offense would've been HUGE for them. I've watched a bunch of their games and them boys look lost. Also, Kobe is great friends with the coach. His presence would help keep the team buying into Fisher.

macc
12-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Fresh triangle isn't exactly a good thing. Fresh coach isn't exactly a good thing.

Once they traded Chandler, I felt like that was when they were building for the future. I thought Calderon was the perfect triangle PG but more of a stopgap considering his age. I think they may look back on that trade as badly as Charlotte did. TC was so underrated for his regular season efficiency, people dont understand how important guys who selflessly roll to the rim, open the game up for their teammates. Guys like Tyson hurt isolation basketball (aka outdated offenses) but they absolutely open up the perimeter snipers.

Phil has historically been a bad talent evaluator IMO, hes made a bunch of ****** recommendations over his career but hes smart enough to grow into the role. That said, the Knicks came into the season with only 3 players who grade as above average producers and none of them impact the game defensively. So they were the most talent deprived team, the only reason people had a glimmer of hope was because of the hype behind Phil.

Exactly. Which is why I've never had high expectations for them. They have Carmelo then who.....quite the drop off. At one point they had some decent role players but to win in this league you need a 'few' really good players in your starting lineup. I don't see those players on the Knicks.

Jamiecballer
12-11-2014, 06:49 PM
What do they need to play from here to win 50?

Crackadalic
12-11-2014, 07:42 PM
What do they need to play from here to win 50?

46-12 to just hit 50 wins

JV35
12-11-2014, 07:52 PM
I didn't expect them to set the world on fire, but I think a .500 record (at this point) was a reasonable expectation.

michael jordan
12-11-2014, 08:20 PM
no
Anthony is not Jordan
amrea stinks hes old
and they habe no big men!

Jamiecballer
12-11-2014, 08:20 PM
46-12 to just hit 50 wins
Seems a long shot haha.

michael jordan
12-11-2014, 08:27 PM