PDA

View Full Version : I think Jackson and Melo had a little back door deal ...

mudvayne387
12-11-2014, 02:05 PM
I know this sounds ludicrous, but here me out. I think the reason Carmelo Anthony re-signed with the Knicks is because he and Phil Jackson made a back door deal. It allowed Carmelo to cash in on what will be his final "mega contract" and the no trade clause was assurance that he wouldn't be traded to a non contender. On the other side of the coin, it allowed Phil to take his time finding a suitor while having Melo locked up. It also prevented Phil from having to deal with disgruntled Knicks fans for not re-signing their "superstar".

I know, put on my tinfoil hat. But if you think about it logically, it was almost a win/win for both parties. I believe Melo will be traded after the new year or at the very least in the off season. The Knicks own their draft pick (amazingly) and are almost guaranteed to pick in the top five. With the plethora of cap space, their #1 pick, and the incoming picks or talent they get from the Melo trade, Phil can build a team the right way ....

Melo is not a Phil guy. He would not put his basketball reputation on the line by building his team around a "pure scorer". When Kobe was at his best he was a lock down defender, always got the most out of his teammates, and genuinely made those around him better. Carmelo does none of those things.

What do you think ?

kobe4thewinbang
12-11-2014, 02:12 PM
What do you think ?That you're nuts. LOL. That, and I think Carmelo took one look at Phil's fingers.

mudvayne387
12-11-2014, 02:18 PM
That you're nuts. LOL. That, and I think Carmelo took one look at Phil's fingers.

lol I think the more probable answer is the Melo took one look at LaLa's spending habits ... Forgive me, I am on the East Coast and snowed in with too much time on my hands ...

nycericanguy
12-11-2014, 02:22 PM
I don't know if they have a back door deal... but lets be real. If the Knicks strike out on FAgency this summer then it makes no sense to keep Melo.

And yes the no trade clause is basically a way for Melo to pick his next team if they go that route. Not that I think Phil would just send him anywhere anyway, but it's added security for Melo.

I do think he ends up a Bull if the Knicks can't get some combination of Gasol,Hibbert, Dragic, Jackson...etc...

I don't think Phil would ask Melo to go through a rebuild.

mudvayne387
12-11-2014, 02:25 PM
I don't know if they have a back door deal... but lets be real. If the Knicks strike out on FAgency this summer then it makes no sense to keep Melo.

And yes the no trade clause is basically a way for Melo to pick his next team if they go that route. Not that I think Phil would just send him anywhere anyway, but it's added security for Melo.

I do think he ends up a Bull if the Knicks can't get some combination of Gasol,Hibbert, Dragic, Jackson...etc...

I don't think Phil would ask Melo to go through a rebuild.

Can the Bulls fit Melo under the cap though ? I know it would take Gasol's contract and ? Maybe Butler if they don't feel they can re-sign him ?

pebloemer
12-11-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but your case is not at all illogical. To give it some credence though, it will require Melo to be traded in the next 9 months or so.

The other possibility that I still think is most likely; Melo knows this team can't compete now, but believe Phil can build a competitive team with a high pick and cap space this off-season.

king4day
12-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Not a bad theory. Probably not accurate but it's not so far fetched that you should get flamed for the idea.

nycericanguy
12-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Can the Bulls fit Melo under the cap though ? I know it would take Gasol's contract and ? Maybe Butler if they don't feel they can re-sign him ?

Gasol has a no trade I believe, and he's been CHI's best player... I don't think they trade him. plus it would be a huge slap in the face to him.

Gibson, Mirotic, Dunleavy... something along those lines.

Or call me crazy but I wouldn't rule Rose being involved. I think his whole situation has become an annoyance. If CHI unloads him they could really take back some quality vets from NY.

Shump, Prigs, Melo, Calderon for Rose, Gibson, Mirotic, McBuckets... something along those lines.

koreancabbage
That you're nuts. LOL. That, and I think Carmelo took one look at Phil's fingers.

cuz he wanted Phil to finger him?

D-Leethal
I don't buy it at all, but if I was a conspiracy theorist I would add the wrinkle of this allowing Melo to leave NY without becoming a villain - because it was Phil who traded him rather than him walking on his own terms.

mudvayne387
12-11-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but your case is not at all illogical. To give it some credence though, it will require Melo to be traded in the next 9 months or so.

The other possibility that I still think is most likely; Melo knows this team can't compete now, but believe Phil can build a competitive team with a high pick and cap space this off-season.

Me neither, which is why I hesitated to make this thread. Maybe there is some truth to this on a smaller scale though.

Phil: If this team isn't competitive by next season, I will entertain a trade.
Melo: Ok, but I want a NTC then.

xxplayerxx23
12-11-2014, 02:38 PM
If the knicks don't sign anyone in FA then they will get rid of him. But it may be tough with no 2016 pick

slashsnake
12-11-2014, 02:39 PM
so Phil told Melo "I don't like you and want to take as much talent off of your future team as I can get by trading you there next year, making them as bad as I possibly can next year, while putting you in a disaster losing situation this season" and Melo said, ok? Its a full year you are praying he plays well and doesn't have a major injury or you just ruined everything. He could have done it this year without that risk and having to deal with a star on the team he wants nothing to do with.

And to cap it off, when Melo said can you put this in writing, Phil answered "Of course not, that would be collusion and would negate any trade anyways... just trust me"...

Doesn't really pass the tin foil hat test for me. Too much risk.

nycericanguy
12-11-2014, 02:42 PM
so Phil told Melo "I don't like you and want to take as much talent off of your future team as I can get by trading you there next year, making them as bad as I possibly can next year, while putting you in a disaster losing situation this season" and Melo said, ok?

And to cap it off, when Melo said can you put this in writing, Phil answered "Of course not, that would be collusion and would negate any trade anyways... just trust me"...

Doesn't really pass the tin foil hat test for me.

More like... "next year is a transition year, a building year, but we should be able to land some big FA's to help in 2015... if we don't, and we are still building in 2015, then we'll work something out to get you somewhere you can win"

mudvayne387
12-11-2014, 02:47 PM
More like... "next year is a transition year, a building year, but we should be able to land some big FA's to help in 2015... if we don't, and we are still building in 2015, then we'll work something out to get you somewhere you can win"

Yes

colinskik
12-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Gasol has a no trade I believe, and he's been CHI's best player... I don't think they trade him. plus it would be a huge slap in the face to him.

Or call me crazy but I wouldn't rule Rose being involved. I think his whole situation has become an annoyance. If CHI unloads him they could really take back some quality vets from NY.

Shump, Prigs, Melo, Calderon for Rose, Gibson, Mirotic, McBuckets... something along those lines.

I will not call you crazy. In fact, I've thought about this scenario as well. For one, we've all seen that the bulls can be as successful, if not more, without Rose in the lineup. Plus, for Rose a change of scenery could be what he needs, especially since Chicago has the added pressure of being his hometown.

For CHI, adding Melo and replacing Rose with a vet like Calderon seems like an upgrade.

slashsnake
12-11-2014, 03:00 PM

If they can't land any free agents why would they get rid of their only marketable player though? There's a really good chance Melo in a trade next year to the teams he would want to join would only bring in middling players or picks. Then what is his reason for moving the only guy who will sell tickets and merchandise there and maybe draw a free agent the following year? What happens if Melo says LA is his only team and Phil doesn't like what they get there and would rather have Melo?

I just have no reason to like that if I am either party. Melo is putting his career on hold for the word of a guy who already doesn't really want him, and who he has no way of proving this deal existed. Phil is at the mercy of Melo wanting to go to certain teams that may not be able to offer much of anything in compensation. If Phil says "we just got Hibbert and Ellis... we are good, you are staying", and Melo says "ummm no, time to send me to LA" how does that work?

benny01
12-11-2014, 03:01 PM

I pretty certain that the Melo to the Bulls ship has sailed. I don't think there is a combo of players that they could make work to get a deal done. Butler and Mirotic I don't think are available. The Knicks would essentially have to give the Bulls Melo. They would have to take Gibson, Dunleavy, Snell and whatever junk the Bulls have on top of that(moore, Nazr) to do the deal. Of all the teams in the league, I think that the Bulls would be the least likely to pull off a move like that. Especially mid-season, I would say there is about a 1% chance that happens.

pebloemer
12-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Me neither, which is why I hesitated to make this thread. Maybe there is some truth to this on a smaller scale though.

Phil: If this team isn't competitive by next season, I will entertain a trade.
Melo: Ok, but I want a NTC then.

Well I have no doubt that within the process of Melo signing his deal there had to be conversations about Phil's plans to make this team a contender. I don't buy the whole "Melo only wants money" argument." He's a professional athlete that wants to win like everyone else. What that plan included and whether there was an "escape plan" we'll never know. But as I mentioned, your theory sounds possible. As far as conspiracy theories go, it might be one of the more logical ones I've heard - certainly on this site :).

slashsnake
12-11-2014, 03:18 PM
I pretty certain that the Melo to the Bulls ship has sailed.

Agreed. I thought one of the biggest reasons Melo wanted Chicago was to pair with what he thought would be an elite Rose. What would have Melo wanting to go there and basically play for a scrapped roster and Noah now?

I just don't see either side putting any faith in a deal they can't put on paper. Sure they might have talked about that as a potential future possibility, but it means nothing really, I am sure players always talk about what might happen down the line. Next year if Phil is stuck with Melo and no FA's, and wants to move Melo, he would ask him then "If I can get a deal for you to go to a contender and get some pieces would you waive your trade clause?"

I really think that if Phil doesn't pick up any FA's next year he will cite health reasons and just retire. I doubt he will want to sit there and start all over with prospects in 2015...

numba1CHANGsta
12-11-2014, 03:43 PM
This is what happens when you let your wife make decisions for you

GiantsSwaGG
12-11-2014, 04:14 PM
I said this from day one.

lamzoka
12-11-2014, 04:14 PM
I think Lala should dump Melo and come get with me. I eat honey nut cheerios for breakfast, lunch and dinner anyway.

Quinnsanity
12-11-2014, 06:52 PM
As a Knicks fan I wanted him gone.

alexander_37
12-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Melo wanted coin and he got it. He knows he will NEVER win ****.

mudvayne387
12-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Ok I slept on this one and I don't think it's as crazy as I thought.

nycericanguy
12-12-2014, 01:01 PM
I pretty certain that the Melo to the Bulls ship has sailed. I don't think there is a combo of players that they could make work to get a deal done. Butler and Mirotic I don't think are available. The Knicks would essentially have to give the Bulls Melo. They would have to take Gibson, Dunleavy, Snell and whatever junk the Bulls have on top of that(moore, Nazr) to do the deal. Of all the teams in the league, I think that the Bulls would be the least likely to pull off a move like that. Especially mid-season, I would say there is about a 1% chance that happens.

I don;t know, in Melo's documentary he seemed to love CHI's organization and was very close to going there.

I don't think it will happen mid-season... if it does I think it would be this summer IF NY strikes out.

The Bulls would be crazy not to make Mirotic available. If you can get Melo and keep Gasol, Butler & Noah... that's a no brainer.

As good as CHI is they are built around some iffy players. Gasol has arguably been their best player but he is older and injury prone and Thibs is playing him huge minutes. Noah is pushing 30 and injury prone. Rose of course... and while Butler is having a great start... you have to wonder if he's going to regress.

FriedTofuz
12-12-2014, 02:19 PM
conspiracy

IBleedPurple
12-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Melo also gets a $17M lump sum payment from the team he is traded to. This theory could hold some water.

mudvayne387
12-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Melo also gets a $17M lump sum payment from the team he is traded to. This theory could hold some water.

I didn't know that. Melo may be smarter than he looks (or has a good agent)

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Knicks fans secretly still wish they had gotten D-Rose in 2008 and making it sound like the Bulls need to trade him for a "change of scenery". It's ok we get it.

Sssmush
12-13-2014, 05:16 AM
I know this sounds ludicrous, but here me out. I think the reason Carmelo Anthony re-signed with the Knicks is because he and Phil Jackson made a back door deal. It allowed Carmelo to cash in on what will be his final "mega contract" and the no trade clause was assurance that he wouldn't be traded to a non contender. On the other side of the coin, it allowed Phil to take his time finding a suitor while having Melo locked up. It also prevented Phil from having to deal with disgruntled Knicks fans for not re-signing their "superstar".

I know, put on my tinfoil hat. But if you think about it logically, it was almost a win/win for both parties. I believe Melo will be traded after the new year or at the very least in the off season. The Knicks own their draft pick (amazingly) and are almost guaranteed to pick in the top five. With the plethora of cap space, their #1 pick, and the incoming picks or talent they get from the Melo trade, Phil can build a team the right way ....

Melo is not a Phil guy. He would not put his basketball reputation on the line by building his team around a "pure scorer". When Kobe was at his best he was a lock down defender, always got the most out of his teammates, and genuinely made those around him better. Carmelo does none of those things.

What do you think ?

Here's my conspiracy theory:

Melo can't take the heat, can't play in a system, can't take the pressure, and is already looking for excuses (minor injuries, fights with teammates, etc). Now *surprise* we start hearing grumbling about trades.

Carmelo WAS looking for a nice, cushy, maxed out landing spot, and being the main man on a maniacally obsessed championship dynasty led by Phil Jackson in the biggest media market in the world will never be that.

Carmelo must've understood that on some level and therefore he had his reservations. Phil Jackson is extremely persuasive, however, and the extra $40M or whatever probably is a factor as well.

Now the Knicks are just exactly where they were with D'Antoni and Melo, Woodson and Melo, now Fisher and Melo. Ho hum. Is anybody in NY actually surprised about this?

*Spoiler alert* Let me tell you how this is going to go down: Phil Jackson is not some kind of Woodson or Mike D'Antoni. He is either going to MAKE or BREAK Melo, no two ways about it. Either Melo will find is other long lost testicle and rise to the championship level he's made mumbling lip service to on occasion, or Phil Jackson will straight up break this guy and he will have to cry his way out of New York.

Seriously... you wanted Phil Jackson, you got him. This is no joke. This is Phil Jackson you're talking about. Not sure is NYC basketball is ready for all this but I guess we're going to find out.

benny01
12-13-2014, 05:32 AM
I don;t know, in Melo's documentary he seemed to love CHI's organization and was very close to going there.

I don't think it will happen mid-season... if it does I think it would be this summer IF NY strikes out.

The Bulls would be crazy not to make Mirotic available. If you can get Melo and keep Gasol, Butler & Noah... that's a no brainer.

As good as CHI is they are built around some iffy players. Gasol has arguably been their best player but he is older and injury prone and Thibs is playing him huge minutes. Noah is pushing 30 and injury prone. Rose of course... and while Butler is having a great start... you have to wonder if he's going to regress.
I don't disagree with most of what your saying here. I think that Mirotic is a legit 20 and 10 guy as soon as next year if he were to start. You can call me crazy as it's pure speculation, but I think that how the Bulls view him as well. I also think that the contract the Bulls offered Melo is really as much as they wanted to pay and I think they are valuing their depth for some of the reasons you mentioned. To add to everything above, this is NOT the type of move the Bulls as an organization makes.

IndyRealist
12-13-2014, 10:47 AM
There did not have to be any under-the-table deals. Melo had all the leverage in the world, because Phil HAD to resign him. He inherited a mess of an overpaid roster, and if Melo walked New York would have no star while still being over the cap. Melo knows he can force a trade anytime he wants to and can guarantee where he goes. I suspect his wife had more of a say where he signed than basketball did.

nycericanguy
12-13-2014, 01:24 PM
BTW there is nothing "backdoor" about any of this... it's perfectly legal.

In fact Phil openly told the media that he told Melo that he should consider opting in for a year to see how things go.

blahblahyoutoo
12-13-2014, 10:18 PM

are you saying melo is gay?

IDunknown
12-13-2014, 11:02 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7AL44keDZw

rhino17
12-13-2014, 11:55 PM
there was absolutely no reason for Melo to return to NY, made no sense

cssdmark
12-14-2014, 12:11 AM
Not far fetched at all. I think Phil wants to rebuild completely. I think among other things Steve Kerr knew this and did not want to be a part of it as a first time coach in NYC rebuilding, he would get Hell just like the NYC media is starting with Fish. Steve knew Phil's plans and he stated that Phil would get it turned around in a few years. I will not be surprised at all if Melo is gone next summer. Thing that pisses me off is every time it appears we may get rid of Shump it gets injured now JR gets injured right before the 15th that is the luck of the Knicks.

cssdmark
12-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Knicks fans secretly still wish they had gotten D-Rose in 2008 and making it sound like the Bulls need to trade him for a "change of scenery". It's ok we get it.

No you can keep him but definitely mad about Steph Curry and would love to have Lillard.

cssdmark
12-14-2014, 12:15 AM
D Rose does not need a change of scenery just needs to stay healthy. He is from Chicago I thought so he is where he should be playing for his hometown.

cssdmark
12-14-2014, 12:18 AM
there was absolutely no reason for Melo to return to NY, made no sense
124 million reasons. Money talks and all that other **** walks, you should know this you do live in America, don't you?

jimm120
12-14-2014, 12:23 AM
I think the problems were always Amare taking up so much cap that we never added the appropriate 2nd star. We've had to rely on JR Smith, then Smith and Bargs, and now Smith and Calderon (with Iman or Hardaway progressing).

Oh, and Dantoni was definitely a problem.

As for Woodson: he gave us an 11th ranked offense, which is ok. In the 54 win season, it was even higher. The problem with that specific offense, though, was that we were EASILY defended in the 4th quarter and in the playoffs.

So, the question isn't that its been Melo and "coach". Its that Amare is taking up a lot of space for that #2 guy. Its that Dantoni sucked. Its that WOodson relied too much on JR Smith and his offense wasn't good in the 4th (and his switching defense made a DPOY like Tyson look so bad).

Melo can't take the heat, can't play in a system, can't take the pressure, and is already looking for excuses (minor injuries, fights with teammates, etc). Now *surprise* we start hearing grumbling about trades.

Carmelo WAS looking for a nice, cushy, maxed out landing spot, and being the main man on a maniacally obsessed championship dynasty led by Phil Jackson in the biggest media market in the world will never be that.

Carmelo must've understood that on some level and therefore he had his reservations. Phil Jackson is extremely persuasive, however, and the extra $40M or whatever probably is a factor as well.

Now the Knicks are just exactly where they were with D'Antoni and Melo, Woodson and Melo, now Fisher and Melo. Ho hum. Is anybody in NY actually surprised about this?

*Spoiler alert* Let me tell you how this is going to go down: Phil Jackson is not some kind of Woodson or Mike D'Antoni. He is either going to MAKE or BREAK Melo, no two ways about it. Either Melo will find is other long lost testicle and rise to the championship level he's made mumbling lip service to on occasion, or Phil Jackson will straight up break this guy and he will have to cry his way out of New York.

Seriously... you wanted Phil Jackson, you got him. This is no joke. This is Phil Jackson you're talking about. Not sure is NYC basketball is ready for all this but I guess we're going to find out.

cssdmark
12-14-2014, 12:25 AM

That is exactly what we need, me being a NY Knick fan am ready, we will see if Carmelo is ready.

jimm120
12-14-2014, 12:28 AM
124 million reasons. Money talks and all that other **** walks, you should know this you do live in America, don't you?

There was a reason. TWo very important reasons:

1 - an extra 25 million over Houston/Lakers/Dallas offers and an extra 40 million over the Chicago offer
2 - Loving the Knicks/NY. Wether it was about marketing (and there's mostly negative marketing in NY) or about simply not wanting ot leave the team he loved as a Kid and loves being with now...

I'm a knick fan. I'm magically good enough to be a good player. I'm also already extremely rich. I'm told I can go to the Knicks and get 20% more money, though they suck AT THE MOMENT or I can go to OKC and play with Durant and Westbrook and be a serious contender...I'd probably pick the Knicks.

cssdmark
12-14-2014, 12:39 AM
I didn't know that. Melo may be smarter than he looks (or has a good agent)

A great agent

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Let's get real here. Melo saw the dollars flash in front of his eyes combined with the pressure from his family to stay in NY, he chose to stay. Then after their worst start in team history, he regretted not signing with the Bulls.

mike_noodles
12-14-2014, 03:52 PM

What do you think ?

I don't think this is probable, it is possible. I like your thinking here for sure. But I think it's more likely that they sign a FA and then trade their selection for a proven vet.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-14-2014, 04:00 PM

What do you think ?

He's already on a non-contender.