PDA

View Full Version : N.O Pelicans should be moved to EAST conf

LOOTERX9
12-11-2014, 11:33 AM
I think nba should move N.O Pelicans to the eastern conference. Anthony Davis is such a great player it would be a shame if he is stuck in the west not making playoffs for next 2 seasons. The nba needs anthony Davis in the east so he can make playoffs and showcase his talents to America. Him being stuck in the stacked west is a waste when he can be on a playoff contending team in the east constantly.
The nba will only benefit and be a better product if they moved the pelicans to the east. They should just do it and don't think bout the haters saying they are favoring Davis by doing this. Just do it for the betterment of the league

koreancabbage
12-11-2014, 11:34 AM
yes. a realignment is needed for some teams.

Arch Stanton
12-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Does that mean the Sixers are going to play in the West?

Crackadalic
12-11-2014, 11:49 AM
I mean they should but what team can be realistically be moved out west

diu9leilomo
12-11-2014, 11:58 AM
yes, milwaukee should move to west

koreancabbage
12-11-2014, 11:59 AM
I mean they should but what team can be realistically be moved out west

only teams maybe is Chicago and Milwaukee. Memphis and No move to the East

koreancabbage
12-11-2014, 12:00 PM
yes, milwaukee should move to west

if you say Milwaukee, you have to say Chicago. they practically are side by side

diu9leilomo
12-11-2014, 12:11 PM
or should we just move cleveland :)

mRc08
12-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Or just move them to the east, and then bring back Seattle to the west? I know expansion is the last thing the nba needs, but that city has been wanting a franchise since the sonics last left.

LOOTERX9
12-11-2014, 12:53 PM
if you say Milwaukee, you have to say Chicago. they practically are side by side

Yeah Milwaukee is good to move to west. Keep bulls in east and move pelicans to east. So we swapping pelicans and bucks. Simple

thaShady
12-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Move the Bucks to Seattle. Boom.

koreancabbage
12-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Yeah Milwaukee is good to move to west. Keep bulls in east and move pelicans to east. So we swapping pelicans and bucks. Simple

I want Memphis in the East as well. give Seattle their team back.

Ezio
12-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Aren't the Nets for sale? I think that's why the owner is trying to move the contracts.

kobe4thewinbang
12-11-2014, 02:11 PM
They already moved the New Orleans team to the western conference. That, and it makes no sense to have a New Orleans team listed as an 'eastern' team. And no to putting the Grizzlies in the East--that place is by Texas and it ain't 'eastern' down there. It's hot as fuq. That, and nobody wants to see the Grizzlies in the finals every year.

koreancabbage
12-11-2014, 02:16 PM
They already moved the New Orleans team to the western conference. That, and it makes no sense to have a New Orleans team listed as an 'eastern' team. And no to putting the Grizzlies in the East--that place is by Texas and it ain't 'eastern' down there. It's hot as fuq. That, and nobody wants to see the Grizzlies in the finals every year.

'Murican education at its finest.

Blitzbolt
12-11-2014, 02:51 PM
I want to see the grizz in finals every year!!

koreancabbage
12-11-2014, 03:12 PM
I want to see the grizz in finals every year!!

HAHAHA. wouldn't mind sprucing up the competition in the East

a4anthony
12-11-2014, 03:32 PM

This gave me a brain tumor.

lamzoka
12-11-2014, 08:00 PM
According to Marc Cuban the 3 texas teams along with Pelicans should be move to the east Then ship Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago and Hornets to the West

JV35
12-11-2014, 08:06 PM
yes. a realignment is needed for some teams.

I disagree. It's set up perfectly geographically right now.

If Davis is that good, they should win the West.

JV35
12-11-2014, 08:08 PM
According to Marc Cuban the 3 texas teams along with Pelicans should be move to the east Then ship Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago and Hornets to the West

Mark Cuban? Do people even care what he thinks?

Shammyguy3
12-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Do away with conferences. Balance the schedule, 16 best teams make the playoffs. Simple. Doesn't need realignment.

beasted86
12-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Do away with conferences. Balance the schedule, 16 best teams make the playoffs. Simple. Doesn't need realignment.

Have you ever lived in the East Coast Time Zone? If so, did you enjoy staying up until 1:30AM to catch the ends of games when you have to wake up at 6:30 AM to get ready for work?

Because thats what I face on most West road trips and I don't like it, and I surely don't want more of it.

I've never lived out West, but I can imagine similar frustration with a game that starts at 4:30PM or 5PM while you are still at work/leaving work.

Shammyguy3
12-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Have you ever lived in the East Coast Time Zone? If so, did you enjoy staying up until 1:30AM to catch the ends of games when you have to wake up at 6:30 AM to get ready for work?

Because thats what I face on most West road trips and I don't like it, and I surely don't want more of it.

I've never lived out West, but I can imagine similar frustration with a game that starts at 4:30PM or 5PM while you are still at work/leaving work.

Would you prefer to see the Cavs play the Magic in the first round? Is that really entertaining? I'd rather stay up to see a good game than waste my time watching a 7-game series whose outcome isn't the least bit interesting.

I want better product. I'll revolve my schedule around that - if I can't stay up to watch it, i'll record it and watch it the following day. Not a deal breaker at all for me personally.

Also - not that this is a great comparison, but soccer fans stay up for crazy amounts of time to watch their country's national team play.

beasted86
12-12-2014, 12:44 AM
Would you prefer to see the Cavs play the Magic in the first round? Is that really entertaining? I'd rather stay up to see a good game than waste my time watching a 7-game series whose outcome isn't the least bit interesting.

I want better product. I'll revolve my schedule around that - if I can't stay up to watch it, i'll record it and watch it the following day. Not a deal breaker at all for me personally.

Also - not that this is a great comparison, but soccer fans stay up for crazy amounts of time to watch their country's national team play.

No offense, but you sound like someone who definitely hasn't lived in EST and experienced what I'm talking about, and/or you simply aren't working traditional work hours and attempts to maintain a social/family life outside of basketball so much to the point you will 'cater your life around sports showtimes.' Sorry, but that's just so foreign and unrealistic sounding to me.

And yes, soccer is a bad comparison since there aren't 82 games. As a point of comparison, I am willing to stay up late to watch finals games because there are only a few of them. I'm certainly not doing it for 41 road games or even half that if that's what it came down to.

Shammyguy3
12-12-2014, 01:01 AM
I said let the 16 best teams in the playoffs and a balanced schedule. . You brought up time zone differences. Now you're talking about staying up for just the regular season? If you don't care to stay up and watch the games, then record it. If you don't have a DVR - then find out the score the next morning.

I mean, seriously. Even if there are 20 games where you have to wait until 10:00pm for it to start - not all of those are going to be on a work night. And the other games - so what if you can't watch EVERY game.

And yeah - i don't live out East. So I can't speak for everyone - but I'm speaking for myself. I want to see better games, better series, better teams. If that means I have to stay up 60 more minutes, or record the game to watch it at another point then that's what I have to do. If I don't want to or simply can't cater my life to that, then it's obviously not a big deal since it's not more important than work or family.

I fail to see how that truly matters in the grand scheme of things - technology helps this small predicament out quite a bit. Give me a better product in the playoffs and I'm happy.

LOOTERX9
12-12-2014, 12:48 PM

Biggest problem with this is the whole time zone difference which makes traveling back and forth a Hassle. We already know these babies players and media will complain bout the travel

mike_noodles
12-12-2014, 01:07 PM
I agree that NO should be moved to the East, but not for the reasons the OP would.

beasted86
12-12-2014, 02:21 PM
I said let the 16 best teams in the playoffs and a balanced schedule. . You brought up time zone differences. Now you're talking about staying up for just the regular season? If you don't care to stay up and watch the games, then record it. If you don't have a DVR - then find out the score the next morning.

I mean, seriously. Even if there are 20 games where you have to wait until 10:00pm for it to start - not all of those are going to be on a work night. And the other games - so what if you can't watch EVERY game.

And yeah - i don't live out East. So I can't speak for everyone - but I'm speaking for myself. I want to see better games, better series, better teams. If that means I have to stay up 60 more minutes, or record the game to watch it at another point then that's what I have to do. If I don't want to or simply can't cater my life to that, then it's obviously not a big deal since it's not more important than work or family.

I fail to see how that truly matters in the grand scheme of things - technology helps this small predicament out quite a bit. Give me a better product in the playoffs and I'm happy.

With a balanced schedule there would be far more road games, so I'm addressing just one of the issues from my perspective as a fan. Right now I can watch most of the games knowing there are 15 games (18%) every year I might not be able to watch. To balance the schedule each team would need to be played 4 times which is now 30 games (25%) I would not be able to watch.

"You should just pay more money than you already do to watch the same sport you've already been watching by leasing a DVR" again lacks common sense foresight, and also sounds like an unrealistic solution to this concern. This doesn't seem to make as much of a difference to you since you likely like in Central time where all games are convenient for you no matter the start time, so I understand how you could feel indifferent to anyone else's issues with this.

But for those who enjoy watching most, if not all of their favorite local team's games this doesn't seem to work for the normal working class.... all in the effort of improving the 6-8 seeds which haven't won nor advanced to the Finals more than one time I've been alive. So just from my perspective I don't care as much to be inconvenienced to that end.

M.I.A.
12-12-2014, 02:37 PM
I think nba should move N.O Pelicans to the eastern conference. Anthony Davis is such a great player it would be a shame if he is stuck in the west not making playoffs for next 2 seasons. The nba needs anthony Davis in the east so he can make playoffs and showcase his talents to America. Him being stuck in the stacked west is a waste when he can be on a playoff contending team in the east constantly.
The nba will only benefit and be a better product if they moved the pelicans to the east. They should just do it and don't think bout the haters saying they are favoring Davis by doing this. Just do it for the betterment of the league

I respect your argument but I find it lacking. The question could be asked, "Why doesn't New Orleans surround Davis with similar talent so that they can compete in the West?"

Your argument just seems to beg that question to me. Sorry if I offended you because that is not my intention.

LAKERS4LIFE!!
12-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Seems like the fans of Eastern teams really don't wan't this or an alignment to the conferences. I wonder why.

kdspurman
12-12-2014, 02:58 PM

I agree.. Being on the east, i hate the 10:30PM starts during the week. (though a Win is well worth the loss of sleep :) )

But i would much rather have better quality basketball come playoff time. The 1st round in the east is usually quite uneventful.

M.I.A.
12-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Seems like the fans of Eastern teams really don't wan't this or an alignment to the conferences. I wonder why.

I couldn't care less if they realign them any way they want to. I just do not agree with the reasoning of the OP.

beasted86
12-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Double

beasted86
12-12-2014, 03:09 PM

Do you live on the West or are simply a Lakers fan.

If you do, if like to hear some thoughts on how 4:30 PM start times sound to you guys.

M.I.A.
12-12-2014, 03:29 PM
It doesn't matter what conference you are in when the NBA Finals roll around. Either you're good enough to get there and win the thing or you aren't. Nobody is going to care which conference you are in if you are the champion. I know if the Hawks ever win it, which conference we are in will matter to me not at all.

AllBall
12-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Well, someone failed Geography. Let me help you here buddy

http://mapsof.net/uploads/static-maps/where_is_tennessee_located.png

Anyways, yes move New Orleans and Memphis to the East, we'll send the Bucks to Seattle as part of the West.

LAKERS4LIFE!!
12-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Do you live on the West or are simply a Lakers fan.

If you do, if like to hear some thoughts on how 4:30 PM start times sound to you guys.

I live in the west & I honestly don't mind 4:30 PM games. Yes I miss some and at times I may miss the first quarter but in my opinion it would make the playoffs so much better. Watching the Heat cakewalk to the eastern conference Finals the last 4 years was not entertaining at all besides maybe 2 series.

t_money25
12-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Makes no sense to move the Pelicans nor any other team to another conference just because fans wanna see a particular player play in the playoffs. If that's really what the OP wants then the Pelicans should trade Davis to an eastern conference team.

t_money25
12-12-2014, 03:41 PM
It's the responsibility of the Pelicans to put a quality product on the court that can contend in the west. It's not the NBA's responsibility to relocate teams teams so good young players can increase their odds of playing in the postseason. That definitely would be opening up Pandora's box.

LAKERS4LIFE!!
12-12-2014, 03:42 PM
I couldn't care less if they realign them any way they want to. I just do not agree with the reasoning of the OP.

If the OP just wants AD to be in the east then yea thats weird but I just feel like there needs to be a realignment.

cmellofan15
12-12-2014, 03:43 PM
put Denver in the East too..I'd like a shot at the playoffs again lol

Crackadalic
12-12-2014, 03:48 PM
The east teams just have to do a better job at building teams

beasted86
12-12-2014, 03:49 PM
I live in the west & I honestly don't mind 4:30 PM games. Yes I miss some and at times I may miss the first quarter but in my opinion it would make the playoffs so much better. Watching the Heat cakewalk to the eastern conference Finals the last 4 years was not entertaining at all besides maybe 2 series.

So your motivation is because you want X team not to be in the Finals rather than a equal schedule and odds at determining playoff seeding. Sounds biased.

I also somehow doubt you make it out of LA traffic in the half hour it takes to finish the 1st quarter. If you really don't mind missing half of 30 games, not much I can say to that.

M.I.A.
12-12-2014, 09:07 PM

I wish I didn't have stay up so late to see west coast games. That really sucks.

M.I.A.
12-12-2014, 09:08 PM
The east teams just have to do a better job at building teams

Ding ding ding we have the winner!

JV35
12-12-2014, 09:16 PM
This whole discussion has degenerated into a "crybaby thread" for fans of Western teams that are going to finish out of the top 8.

LAKERS4LIFE!!
12-12-2014, 09:19 PM
I wish I didn't have stay up so late to see west coast games. That really sucks.

I give you that, watching a game earlier is way better than having to stay up late. Maybe just take the top 16 teams in the NBA (even though the Eastern teams would still play each other more often, it'll help a little more). It just seems like a tough situation to fix but something should be done.

LAKERS4LIFE!!
12-12-2014, 09:24 PM
This whole discussion has degenerated into a "crybaby thread" for fans of Western teams that are going to finish out of the top 8.

lol lakers are garbage and have no chance in the playoffs. I just want the 16 best teams (regardless of conference) to be playing in the playoffs. Who wouldn't want the best competition out there.

M.I.A.
12-12-2014, 09:29 PM
I give you that, watching a game earlier is way better than having to stay up late. Maybe just take the top 16 teams in the NBA (even though the Eastern teams would still play each other more often, it'll help a little more). It just seems like a tough situation to fix but something should be done.

Like I said, I don't really care how it is set up. Its the last 4 out of 7 that I care about.

c.c.
12-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Majority of the west teams with central timing could go East or West. It would be very difficult deciding who goes.

M.I.A.
12-12-2014, 10:34 PM
lol lakers are garbage and have no chance in the playoffs. I just want the 16 best teams (regardless of conference) to be playing in the playoffs. Who wouldn't want the best competition out there.

Honesty is the best policy? Lol

Vinny642
12-13-2014, 12:46 AM
We should be in the East, and if that was the case we would be a top 4 team in the East

M.I.A.
12-13-2014, 01:59 AM
We should be in the East, and if that was the case we would be a top 4 team in the East

You would be sitting at #6 right behind Cleveland as of right now.

sjbirds
12-13-2014, 02:05 AM

You would be sitting at #6 right behind Cleveland as of right now.
Different schedule tho so may have more wins

M.I.A.
12-13-2014, 02:30 AM
Different schedule tho so may have more wins

Well, yeah there is that. You guys have done well vs. East teams. Except for Atlanta, of couse. J/K ;)

Saddletramp
12-13-2014, 06:35 AM
This is the dumbest thread. What happens if Davis regresses or leaves and the Pelicans suck again? What happens in two years when another team looking out of the top 8 wants to switch conferences? The East is the East and the West is the West and if divisions or conferences are realigned then it shouldn't be because a team or two needs to move to even things out. Sports teams work in cycles.

The conversation is ridiculous. Stop crying.

MonroeFAN
12-13-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm so sick of hearing this WCF > ECF argument. It's a completely different style of basketball and history would suggest that it doesn't matter in the finals.

With that being said, this is just stupid. NOH would be the 6th seed in the eastern conference with a healthy Davis. They're as good as he allows them to be. Beyond him their roster is maxed out from a potential stand point.

M.I.A.
12-13-2014, 10:12 AM
This is the dumbest thread. What happens if Davis regresses or leaves and the Pelicans suck again? What happens in two years when another team looking out of the top 8 wants to switch conferences? The East is the East and the West is the West and if divisions or conferences are realigned then it shouldn't be because a team or two needs to move to even things out. Sports teams work in cycles.

I'm not defending the OP's point here because I just don't care about conference alignment. But how many teams would suck if they lost their star player? Just about everybody.

AllBall
12-13-2014, 01:40 PM

Doesn't matter, there is still a valid GEOGRAPHICAL argument. Does it make sense to have New York in the Western Conference? NO.

Saddletramp
12-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Go look at a map and tell me which team in the East is further west than New Orleans. I'll wait. And all of those teams like Chicago and Milwaukee that are somewhat close up north are so close to the rest of their conference mates like Cleveland, Detroit and Indiana that it would just not make sense.

mjt20mik
12-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Makes no sense. Unless they plan to add 2 more western teams (Seattle and Kansas come to mind) and move memphis or NO to the east.

LOOTERX9
12-14-2014, 03:08 PM
I respect your argument but I find it lacking. The question could be asked, "Why doesn't New Orleans surround Davis with similar talent so that they can compete in the West?"

Your argument just seems to beg that question to me. Sorry if I offended you because that is not my intention.

if I'm the nba i'm not even worrying bout when will the pelicans get better players around davis. They are good enough now to be a playoff team in the east. So I'm putting them in the east. I don't care bout if I am favoring a certain player. It's best for business. N.o is a eastern city anyways. They are the perfect candidate for the nba to make a switch without much backlash at all. I say just make the switch and move on.

M.I.A.
12-14-2014, 05:21 PM
if I'm the nba i'm not even worrying bout when will the pelicans get better players around davis. They are good enough now to be a playoff team in the east. So I'm putting them in the east. I don't care bout if I am favoring a certain player. It's best for business. N.o is a eastern city anyways. They are the perfect candidate for the nba to make a switch without much backlash at all. I say just make the switch and move on.

It isn't that easy, friend. Its best for business for the East teams to keep them out, lol.

As already stated though, I couldn't care less about conference alignment.

dtmagnet
12-14-2014, 06:06 PM
You can't realign so that one player can be in the playoffs, how about the Pelicans just become good enough to make it like everyone else?

rhino17
12-14-2014, 06:26 PM
So you move New orleans to the east, who takes their spot in the Southwest division? OKC??? They you might have 5/6 best teams in the nba in the same conference

M.I.A.
12-14-2014, 06:33 PM
You can't realign so that one player can be in the playoffs, how about the Pelicans just become good enough to make it like everyone else?

Ding ding ding we have our thread winner.

If they can't win the west they can't win the NBA finals, so who cares, really? That's just how I see it.

LOOTERX9
12-14-2014, 07:16 PM

Yes you can. Why not. N.O belongs in east anyways. Plus nba can do what they want. Just cause some may say it's favoritism for 1 player but so what. Nba needs to do what's best for the league. Just move the bucks to the west and pelicans to the east

M.I.A.
12-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Yes you can. Why not. N.O belongs in east anyways. Plus nba can do what they want. Just cause some may say it's favoritism for 1 player but so what. Nba needs to do what's best for the league. Just move the bucks to the west and pelicans to the east

You're dead set on this. Good luck.

Saddletramp
12-14-2014, 08:31 PM

NBA's been doing just fine, even if they're not realigning every few years because there's a lot of good teams in one conference or the other. Let it go. I can't tell if you're trolling, baiting or just 11.

I'd even go further and say that if two teams were added to the West (Seattle and one of KC. St. Louis or Vegas) and they had to move one team to the East, it'd probably be Minnesota or Memphis before it'd be New Orleans just because they're closer to other teams in the East. I'd say they'd probably slide Minnesota over to the East or just add St. Louis or KC to the East so there's not two new teams in the West. If that were to happen, those two new teams wouldn't go anywhere for years and years.

static_inferno
12-14-2014, 09:10 PM
I like this proposal of realignment:
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11/26/7280545/nba-schedule-reform-regions-map-playoffs

M.I.A.
12-14-2014, 09:22 PM
NBA's been doing just fine, even if they're not realigning every few years because there's a lot of good teams in one conference or the other. Let it go. I can't tell if you're trolling, baiting or just 11.

I'd even go further and say that if two teams were added to the West (Seattle and one of KC. St. Louis or Vegas) and they had to move one team to the East, it'd probably be Minnesota or Memphis before it'd be New Orleans just because they're closer to other teams in the East. I'd say they'd probably slide Minnesota over to the East or just add St. Louis or KC to the East so there's not two new teams in the West. If that were to happen, those two new teams wouldn't go anywhere for years and years.

Good post.