PDA

View Full Version : Cavs interested in Grizz C Koufos, may be willing to part with Waiters to get him

spreadeagle
12-09-2014, 12:49 AM
The Cleveland Cavaliers are widening their scope in search of the rim protector that, even amid their best basketball of this young season, everyone knows they badly need.
Far more worrisome to the Cavs than their uneven 11-7 start is the lack of a proven presence at the rim to help stiffen their defense for the long term. That's why Cleveland, sources say, has been inquiring with the Memphis Grizzlies about the availability of reserve center Kosta Koufos among their various trade pursuits.

Sources say that the Cavs are well aware landing a quality big man likely depends on selling on potential trade partners to take back polarizing shooting guard Dion Waiters. Cleveland rates Waiters' talent highly, but sources maintain that the Cavs have let a number of teams know they are prepared to surrender him if they can acquire a difference-making center in return.

And Koufos, regarded as one of the league's more underrated interior defenders thanks to the limited minutes he gets behind Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph, would certainly qualify.

Koufos, by contrast, is an unrestricted free agent next summer whose camp, sources say, has made it known to Grizzlies management that it has less than pleased with the limited role carved out for the 7-footer over the past two seasons.
http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/3367/add-memphis-koufos-to-cavs-wish-list

Raps18-19 Champ
12-09-2014, 01:11 AM
I would as well.

Arch Stanton
12-09-2014, 01:16 AM
I think they'll probably wait closer to the deadline before they make a move. I think they'll want more for Waiters if they decide to deal him. Their interior defense has improved over the past ten games and a rim protector isn't as necessary until the playoffs.

PowerHouse
12-09-2014, 01:46 AM
After the game Waiters had today they will think twice about this.

JEDean89
12-09-2014, 01:58 AM
Koufos kind of sucks, especially in the playoffs, the should be able to get more for waiters.

Arch Stanton
12-09-2014, 01:59 AM
Koufos kind of sucks, especially in the playoffs, the should be able to get more for waiters.

How about a trade exception for Koufos?

Kyben36
12-09-2014, 02:06 AM
Only way i do this as the cavs is if i can either get Courtey lee or Tony allen back in the deal,

that said, i hope they deal him strait up for kufos, not a great move IMO. not saying he isnt a bad player, but your dealing a 6th man quality player for a deep bench big man.

Chronz
12-09-2014, 02:38 AM
No brainer, Waiters isn't the type of player you want on a championship team IMO. Koufos isn't a starter but he represents exactly what this Cleveland team lacks.

TrueFan420
12-09-2014, 02:45 AM
Only way i do this as the cavs is if i can either get Courtey lee or Tony allen back in the deal,

that said, i hope they deal him strait up for kufos, not a great move IMO. not saying he isnt a bad player, but your dealing a 6th man quality player for a deep bench big man.
Kufos is more than just a deep bench big. He's solid. And there's no way the Cavs land Lee or Allen in the deal. Yes talent wise they get a worse deal but they desperately need what kufos has to offer. I think they should look form a better deal. But if the time comes make the move. If theyre lucky they can try and get a late first back in the deal.

SPURSFAN1
12-09-2014, 03:03 AM
Remember when cav fans told me waiters wasn't a scrub? lol

IBleedPurple
12-09-2014, 05:10 AM
Koufos is pretty decent, could be valuable minutes for them come playoff time.

JLeBeau76
12-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Remember when cav fans told me waiters wasn't a scrub? lol

waiters isn't a scrub. He's a talented player who plays like he's had three coaches in three years. In the right system with a little stability, he can be a borderline all-star player (or at least a quality starter).

Not saying Cleveland is that place and not saying it isn't but I would hate to give up on him with this team so soon.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2014, 10:58 AM
No brainer, Waiters isn't the type of player you want on a championship team IMO. Koufos isn't a starter but he represents exactly what this Cleveland team lacks.

exactly. This would be a deal I make 10/10 times from the Cavs side.

GiantsSwaGG
Perfect trade for the Cavs

Waiters is another JR Smith

Hawkeye15
waiters isn't a scrub. He's a talented player who plays like he's had three coaches in three years. In the right system with a little stability, he can be a borderline all-star player (or at least a quality starter).

Not saying Cleveland is that place and not saying it isn't but I would hate to give up on him with this team so soon.

not seeing it. He looks to me to be joining the long list of undersized SG chuckers.

Chronz
12-09-2014, 11:08 AM

What makes him talented?

Is there really a team bad enough to cater its system to his talents? Maybe the Sixers

MonroeFAN
12-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Dion Waiters reminds me of Will Bynum and Flip Murray.

I would do this trade.

MrfadeawayJB
12-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Grizz prob are not interested. Koufos is a legit starting C in a backup role. The grizz don't need a sg so I don't see how this trade makes any sense

BALLER R
12-09-2014, 12:03 PM
If if Memphis I do it. The players that have on that team will knock some sense in to waiters. You really think tony allen and Zbo are going to put up with **** from waiters.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2014, 12:04 PM
What makes him talented?

Is there really a team bad enough to cater its system to his talents? Maybe the Sixers

Waiters reminds me straight up of Rashad McCants

WSU Tony
12-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Remember when Cavs fans refused to include Waiters in the Love deal. He was considered a deal breaker at the time.

LOL

ewing
12-09-2014, 02:27 PM

BS dude is a quality big

ewing
12-09-2014, 02:29 PM
exactly. This would be a deal I make 10/10 times from the Cavs side.

x2

Blitzbolt
12-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Nop we need a Sf not a SG and koufos is a key player since we like to Pwn teams with our bigs.

Maybe a 3 team deal could work with us getting a starting SF.

Chronz
12-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Dion Waiters reminds me of Will Bynum and Flip Murray.

I would do this trade.
Great comparison actually

Chronz
12-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Another great comp
But wasn't mccants a tragic story?

Confusious
12-10-2014, 12:02 AM
Remember when Cavs fans refused to include Waiters in the Love deal. He was considered a deal breaker at the time.

LOL
Because Wiggins was also included, and we'd have zero SG?

LOL

Chronz
12-10-2014, 01:27 AM

LOL
U still have zero sg

WSU Tony
12-10-2014, 10:52 AM

LOL

U still have zero sg

hahahahahaha.

It's funny how you can share a giant bowl of popcorn but when the last kernel is sitting there it somehow is 100X more valuable.

beasted86
12-10-2014, 11:28 AM

Really good comparison

Arch Stanton
12-10-2014, 11:28 AM
So I guess everyone is really high on Dion... :)

mavwar53
12-10-2014, 11:43 AM
I don't see why Memphis would do this, waiters is selfish, the opposite way of the Memphis grizzlies.

Quinnsanity
12-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Whenever I see Waiters on the floor it just sort of looks like he's sucking the joy out of that team. Just get him out. If you can get Kosta back, even better.

Chronz
12-10-2014, 12:21 PM
I don't see why Memphis would do this, waiters is selfish, the opposite way of the Memphis grizzlies.

Maybe back during the lionel hollins era they might've, definitely not now tho

Vee-Rex
12-10-2014, 01:05 PM

LOL

Remember when the T-Wolves were championship contenders? Cause I don't.

LOL

Shammyguy3
12-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Remember when the T-Wolves were championship contenders? Cause I don't.

LOL

Are you under 10 years old then?

beasted86
12-10-2014, 05:50 PM

^ Double entendre

Vee-Rex
12-10-2014, 06:43 PM

4 years old

I see the Cavs finishing off the rest of December 10-2 and ending up with a 23-9 record, which would put us on pace with the Heat in 2010.

koreancabbage
12-10-2014, 08:16 PM
maybe that sparked something in Waiters cuz he's played great the last two games

IndyRealist
12-10-2014, 08:24 PM
In 5 years, Dion Waiters will be the cautionary tale that floats around NBA front offices about guys that don't produce in college and refuse workouts, but "hey he LOOKS like a star!"

michael jordan
12-10-2014, 09:00 PM
they need a center who can block shots/

arlubas
12-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Another great comp
But wasn't mccants a tragic story?
Nope, he was actually a fruitcake that fell out of teams' rotations in his last few years in the league, tried to make a comeback but failed to put it together, then went to China to play there. That was the last I heard of his name.

EDIT: OK so I went to his Wiki page and after China the guy played in the D-League, Brazil and this year Lebanon (?!?!). I didn't even know Lebanese people had a professional basketball league tbh (no pun intended).

Chronz
12-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Nope, he was actually a fruitcake that fell out of teams' rotations in his last few years in the league, tried to make a comeback but failed to put it together, then went to China to play there. That was the last I heard of his name.

EDIT: OK so I went to his Wiki page and after China the guy played in the D-League, Brazil and this year Lebanon (?!?!). I didn't even know Lebanese people had a professional basketball league tbh (no pun intended).

Yeah I thought I remembered an apologetic story from him but it was prolly just a fluff piece, the guy seems immature.

Btw, Im guessing M2 is gone for good? Can you PM me where all the fellas have gone? I wasn't posting there anymore but I would still lurk and it was comforting seeing some of the old names still posting. Ill never forget my first debater of the year award. You guys were like my estranged e-family

michael jordan
12-11-2014, 08:38 PM
they need a center who can block shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

FlashBolt
12-12-2014, 12:00 AM
I was never a fan of Waiters. He has heart but he's just not mentally prepared to be on an elite team. If I were the Knicks, I would consider a Shumpert for Waiters trade. I know that would mean ballhog galore for the Knicks but at this point, they really have nothing to lose. I do believe that Waiters could be an easy 20-4-4 player. Just not for the Cavs.

Arch Stanton
12-12-2014, 01:40 AM
If they end up signing Ray Allen I could see them trying to trade Waiters for a Koufos type player. I prefer Mosgov though.

FlashBolt
12-12-2014, 01:53 AM
If they end up signing Ray Allen I could see them trying to trade Waiters for a Koufos type player. I prefer Mosgov though.

If I'm Cleveland, I would make Ray Allen first priority. I'm sure LeBron agrees.

Arch Stanton
12-12-2014, 01:54 AM
If I'm Cleveland, I would make Ray Allen first priority. I'm sure LeBron agrees.

They'll sign him... He just has to agree.