PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 Of The Season In... Western Conference: Best In NBA History?

tredigs
12-08-2014, 06:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

I'm taking in the standings right now, and rounding out the onslaught of legitimate conference contenders are the #7 seed Dallas Mavs - who sit fourth in the SouthWest Division despite their games being an average win of 8 points. They're 16-6 and on pace for 60+ wins. The WC playoff teams are currently 56-9 against the East. That's equivalent to a 70 win squad.

The Rockets are 16-4 while missing the majority of their starters throughout the year. Portland's young core has only gotten stronger and are as tough a team to beat at home as anyone. The Grizzlies are finally at full strength and showing us just how vicious of a defense they have when Marc Gasol is firing on all cylinders. The Spurs are biding their time/minutes and still coasting to a 62 win pace (despite that not being good enough for HCA right now). The Clippers look like the hottest team in the NBA and are winning their past 10 games by an average margin of 16 points! The Warriors decided to stop losing about a month ago and are going to add an AS caliber PF to their bench next week. And finally, a guy who many consider to be having one of the best individual seasons they've seen from a young player in their lifetime can't carry his team to .500 in this wood chipper.

Can anyone come up with a year where there were more talented teams in one conference? In the past there has been an average of ~1.5 Sixty win teams a year in the league. Is it possible that won't even garner a squad HCA this year?

Just had to let out some awe in this as we're now 1/4 through the season and the trends are relevant. I cannot wait for this post-season.

SPURSFAN1
12-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Best ever. East is dumpster fire right now.

kdspurman
12-08-2014, 06:47 PM
It seems like it's always been good, but i think maybe by the 1/2 way or even 3/4 mark we should have a clearer picture. I remember Portland started out great last year and then sort of cooled off a bit. But as of right now, I would think so.

Spurs btw are also looking to get healthy soon (knock on wood) with Splitter/Mills both missing pretty much all year, Belinelli missing games early on, & Parker dealing with some nagging injuries now, so the rotations/depth have been a bit off to start the year.

But It's definitely a dog fight right now. And you gotta think OKC goes on some sort of streak soon to catapult themselves into the conversation in the upcoming weeks

ricky recon
12-08-2014, 06:52 PM
The disparity is remarkable.

tredigs
12-08-2014, 07:08 PM
It seems like it's always been good, but i think maybe by the 1/2 way or even 3/4 mark we should have a clearer picture. I remember Portland started out great last year and then sort of cooled off a bit. But as of right now, I would think so.

Spurs btw are also looking to get healthy soon (knock on wood) with Splitter/Mills both missing pretty much all year, Belinelli missing games early on, & Parker dealing with some nagging injuries now, so the rotations/depth have been a bit off to start the year.

But It's definitely a dog fight right now. And you gotta think OKC goes on some sort of streak soon to catapult themselves into the conversation in the upcoming weeks

Good point on the Spurs -- sitting starters and missing a lot of time from key guys... still maintaining elite play. And yeah, I did not even think to include OKC. Now at full strength, you have a top 5 team in the NBA charging at all of these guys from the cellar. It's absurd.

LAKERS4LIFE!!
12-08-2014, 08:27 PM
The east is really bad. They need to change the playoff formatting because it's completely unfair how teams like the Suns, Pelicans, Kings, and Nuggets will miss the playoffs in the west when they would be competing for home court if they were in the East.

It's even more sad to imagine if all the teams in the NBA had the same schedule(meaning they each played west and east teams the same amount of times) and Durant was never injured then the top 8 teams from the NBA would all be from the west. The west is so stacked, it's insane.

jerellh528
12-08-2014, 08:29 PM
2 soon

kdspurman
12-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Good point on the Spurs -- sitting starters and missing a lot of time from key guys... still maintaining elite play. And yeah, I did not even think to include OKC. Now at full strength, you have a top 5 team in the NBA charging at all of these guys from the cellar. It's absurd.

it is... but it should make for some good high quality basketball come playoff time don't ya think? stressful as fans of WCF teams of course lol... but entertaining as well

Verbal Christ
12-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Maybe Cuban was on to something when he suggested moving several teams from the Southwest division to the Eastern Conference.

east fb knicks
12-09-2014, 12:58 AM
this will be the reason gasol leaves to the knicks the west is stacked