PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Viewpoint on Players Vocalizing Opinion

chi-townlove1
12-08-2014, 06:05 PM
This may branch off from the D-Rose "I Can't Breath" Thread. But I want it to be different. I am sitting here typing a paper and have ESPN on in the background. Let me say this, I don't want individuals political ideas coming into this. MY question regards ESPN as a whole.

SPORTS - entertainment that is supposed to be the distraction from everything in life that we don't want to deal with - whether that be work, family, politics, etc. Sports are there to bring us together as fans of a common idea. They are supposed to stay clean, entertaining, and most of all non-political in regards to the conflicts surrounding our community.

Sportscenter is currently airing a discussion regarding the "I Can't Breath" topic and making it into a bigger discussion. The main question being should athletes vocalize themselves and their opinions or should they stay quiet. The polls, thankfully, showed that majority of people believe players should stay quiet, play their game, and focus on thier own beliefs off the court and field.

What I don't understand is the ESPN "ironically" chooses, in many opinions, 2 of the most racist and confrontational people in all of sports entertainment - STEPHEN A. SMITH AND CHRIS BROUSSARD. Then they fill the third spot with another African American woman, Cari Champion or Jemele Hill (I couldn't remember), who feeds off of what the 2 men talk about.

Why does ESPN do this? Do they not realize that they only bring negative attention to themselves when they involve themselves in something so controversial? Is it ironic that all 3 of these analysts were black? IF they had been white, just like in any other situation, the matter would be completely biased and therefore ESPN and those individuals would be labeled as racist. What does it take to end ESPN being so trashy in many aspects of media? We all can agree that we try and steer away from ESPN because their rankings and biases are incredibly ridiculous. But, now they are trying hard to push matters that should never be touched by sports analysts, into the general public's mind. Kids watch Sportscenter. They truly need to avoid trying to lure people to one side of the conversation, only fueling the fire more.

Feel free to comment on the matter, regarding ESPN. Try and stay away from your opinion of the Ferguson situation, Etc. Answer the question if you would like.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2014, 06:39 PM
I mean, I get the premise. I wish celebrities would shut about about politics and world issues, but they don't (I really don't want to hear Leo tell me to hang dry my clothes to save energy then hop on a private jet to Cannes). If there is a camera around, famous people will be heard. Just the way it is.

Tony_Starks
12-09-2014, 02:26 AM
I find it pretty ironic you want peoples unbiased opinion on the subject yet not only do you proclaim Steven A and Broussard racist like that is seriously a actual fact, you infer that Cari or Jemelle couldn't be objective because they're black women.

Anyway to your actual point I prefer the athletes speak out on social issues. I don't subscribe to the theory that they are just jocks playing a kids game for my amusement. They have a forum and I applaud any player that uses it to bring attention to issues that your typical Joe Blow would love to talk about but doesn't have a audience.

chi-townlove1
12-09-2014, 02:36 AM
I find it pretty ironic you want peoples unbiased opinion on the subject yet not only do you proclaim Steven A and Broussard racist like that is seriously a actual fact, you infer that Cari or Jemelle couldn't be objective because they're black women.

Anyway to your actual point I prefer the athletes speak out on social issues. I don't subscribe to the theory that they are just jocks playing a kids game for my amusement. They have a forum and I applaud any player that uses it to bring attention to issues that your typical Joe Blow would love to talk about but doesn't have a audience.

My point of the two woman was saying that whichever one it was, they come in and have the same viewpoints as the two men. Then they just feed off of each other's statements. As for Stephen A and Chris they regard everyone as their brothers, assume they are best friends with every African American athlete, and speak very vocally about many matters that can justify someone's belief that they are racist. The way they carry themselves is enough to make me as an individual come to certain conclusions.

Steering away from that, I actually agree with you somewhat. I like their ability to speak out and have people hear them. Whether I agree or not with the matter their speaking out about doesn't matter. I believe their focus should be on the game and they must expect to gain a ton of hatred for their speaking out, but if they are willing to deal with that then more power to them.

JV35
12-09-2014, 02:38 AM
Personally, I think most of these NBA players wearing attention-whoring shirts like "I Can't Breathe" probably don't give a **** about a dead black man.

They do it because their "social media advisor" told them it would get them in the news.

Most of them are too stupid to even give a **** (or even know what the **** they are doing).

Tony_Starks
12-09-2014, 02:53 AM
My point of the two woman was saying that whichever one it was, they come in and have the same viewpoints as the two men. Then they just feed off of each other's statements. As for Stephen A and Chris they regard everyone as their brothers, assume they are best friends with every African American athlete, and speak very vocally about many matters that can justify someone's belief that they are racist. The way they carry themselves is enough to make me as an individual come to certain conclusions.

Steering away from that, I actually agree with you somewhat. I like their ability to speak out and have people hear them. Whether I agree or not with the matter their speaking out about doesn't matter. I believe their focus should be on the game and they must expect to gain a ton of hatred for their speaking out, but if they are willing to deal with that then more power to them.

Well I actually hear Steven A refer to white players as "brothers" quite often as well so that's not exclusive. He's actually pretty fair but I think his demeanor and confidence rub a lot of people the wrong way. You have to understand that black people on TV are in a lose-lose, if they speak their mind they get accused of "playing the race card" if they go along with the status quo they're accused of being sellouts.

But to your point I agree, if players are willing to have a opinion and deal with the backlash then I say bravo.

benny01
12-09-2014, 02:56 AM
As far as Espn goes, they are going to air anything they think people will watch. Espn's focus is on ratings not responsibility.
I think that when athletes are positive and well-informed that it's a good thing for them to take stands over issues. They are role models and when they protest something with a purpose and peacefully it's sets a good example. I think that we forget sometimes that professional activists don't really exist. They are just normal(depending on your definition of normal) people with day jobs. I don't think that athletes should be excluded from having their voices heard do to the fact that they are athletes. Athletes just have a bigger platform.

Goose17
12-09-2014, 03:22 AM
It depends. For example, I get what Luol did at the all star game because of all the crazy **** he's been through and his family went through. He's connected to it. And using his "celebrity" status to try and gather more attention and discussion on matters isn't a bad thing. (For those who don't know his family left Sudan to escape the war when he was like 6 years old)

The issue here is America and the world as a whole but especially America. Need to stop turning these guys into celebrities. They need to just let them be athletes
I mean it's all well and good saying you just want them to play ball and the majority of fans on an espn poll saying the same but when Barkley says he's not a role model people flip out. You can't have it both ways
The people can't simultaneously complain about players getting into altercations at a bar or tweeting out photos of being in strip clubs and accuse them of not being a good "role model" AND then complain about them discussing current affairs and voicing their opinion on political matters. It's just not fair. If you want them to be role models and then they try to do that by showing kids they should stand up for what they believe in and demonstrate their anger in a positive and peaceful way instead of rioting. You can't just tell them to stfu.

I find it more disturbing that people find this to be a political issue, that's a terrible label for it.

lamzoka
12-09-2014, 03:32 AM
Mods need to merge this thread with the "d-rose I can't breath" thread. They're pretty much the same ****.

kingsdelez24
12-09-2014, 04:51 AM
Espn is run by a guy who suspended a writer for supporting evolution

Go figure

bgdreton
12-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Personally, I think most of these NBA players wearing attention-whoring shirts like "I Can't Breathe" probably don't give a **** about a dead black man.

They do it because their "social media advisor" told them it would get them in the news.

Most of them are too stupid to even give a **** (or even know what the **** they are doing).

Geez do you kiss your mom with that mouth?

raiderfaninTX
12-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Espn is run by a guy who suspended a writer for supporting evolution

Go figure

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again I will post what I posted last night, people just have issues when blacks speak out. African Americans are supposed to be nothing more than entertainers.

These are the same people who argue that tebow should be able to talk about his religion, or have no problem with domestic abuse campaigns, or breast cancer. God forbid anyone say something that makes people have to think.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2014, 10:38 AM
reading through the responses, here is my gripe.

Athletes, especially NBA players, are more or less mid to late 20's, uneducated people. Their opinions are generally not educated ones, they are simply reactionary to the media, like many. They don't help the situation most times when they speak, they simply lay on the same rhetoric the media is trying to portray. Same with most celebs in general.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2014, 10:40 AM
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again I will post what I posted last night, people just have issues when blacks speak out. African Americans are supposed to be nothing more than entertainers.

These are the same people who argue that tebow should be able to talk about his religion, or have no problem with domestic abuse campaigns, or breast cancer. God forbid anyone say something that makes people have to think.

Do people really have a problem with african americans speaking out? I only have issues with people speaking out who are not intelligent, or just repeating what the media is feeding them/us. If they have a well thought out response, I will listen to it and respect it, even if I might not agree with it. Who cares what color they are.