PDA

View Full Version : Who was the Worst Pick, Kwame Brown, Darco Milicic or Hasheem Thabeet

Kyben36
12-08-2014, 03:15 PM
This is not who was the biggest bust, although, all 3 could be considered bust, being top 2 overall picks. but the question is, which team ****ed up the biggest by taking one of these guys over somebody else in that draft

Kwame Brown - taken First overall

Players the Lakers Past on

Tyson Chandler #2
Pau Gasol #3
Joe Johnson #10
Zack Randolph #19
Tony Parker #28
Gilbert Arenas - #31

Darco Milicic- Taken Second Overall

Players the Pistons Passed on

Carmelo Anthony #3
Chris Bosh #4
Dwane Wade #5
Chris Kaman #6
Kirk Hinrich #7
David West # 18

Hasheem Thabeet - Taken Second Overall

Players the Grizlies Passed on

James harden #3
Tyreke Evans #4
Ricky Rubio #5
Stephon Curry #7
Demar Derozan #9
Brandon Jennings #10
Jrue Holiday #17
Ty Lawson #18
Jeff Teague #19
Darren Collison #21

IndyRealist
12-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Kwame had a long career, and Thabeet is still in the league, so I'm going with Milicic.

goingfor28
12-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Easily Milicic imo.

chi-townlove1
12-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Has to be darco because of the players missed on. Just in carmelo and Wade alone

DoMeFavors
12-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Lakers didn't draft Kwame the Wizards did. But Hasheem was the worst he hardly lasted in the league while the two others stayed longer. Kwame wasn't in a stacked draft. Darko was in a stacked draft but Pistons still won a title with him. Hasheem was worst.

2-ONE-5
12-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Thabeet. I think watchhig him in college it was pretty clear he wasnt that good, at least to me it was. He couldnt even handle Blair in the big east days

Sandman
12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Thabeet is easily the most useless despite being most physically gifted, the other two guys were OK backup centers

But Darko is also a bad pick for the 4 or 5 guys he was picked before

ewing
12-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Thabeet. I think watchhig him in college it was pretty clear he wasnt that good, at least to me it was. He couldnt even handle Blair in the big east days

he got slaughtered by DeJaun Blair but was still expected to be a defensive anchor by some. Definitely, the worst basketball player of the 3 you could argue that Darko was a worse pick b/c of who was taking after him but at least he had real potential and was an NBA caliber player

Miltstar
12-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Greg Oden

but out of the three to choose from, Kwame was the best player lol... Darko worst pick IMO

2-ONE-5
12-08-2014, 03:33 PM
he got slaughtered by DeJaun Blair but was still expected to be a defensive anchor by some. Definitely, the worst basketball player of the 3 you could argue that Darko was a worse pick b/c of who was taking after him but at least he had real potential and was an NBA caliber player

eh Thabbet literally just stood in the paint and blocked shots. The main reason i dont blame Detroit for Darko is bcuz they had a ready to comepte for a title team and it didnt cost them anything, the pick came from a trade that happend like 5 years prior so they could afford to take that risk.

Had Kwame went to college for 2 years he could have became an all star level player

lamzoka
12-08-2014, 03:34 PM
I wanna say millicic, but Detroit won the ship the year they pick him. Thabeet was pretty ****ing useless.

Blitzbolt
12-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Thabeet did suck but he had terrible luck when he came in the Grizz got Zbo and MGasol and that hurt his minutes and development. But still it was a BAD pick that still hurts.

Vinylman
12-08-2014, 03:38 PM
is this a joke? it is clearly darco because he was a reach and the melo at a minimum was a lock

Miltstar
12-08-2014, 03:42 PM
is this a joke? it is clearly darco because he was a reach and the melo at a minimum was a lock

Melo was the obvious pick... I'm just glad Darko didn't fall to the Raptors haha they clearly would have taken him!

ghettosean
12-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Milicic easily

JV35
12-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Well said.

IBleedPurple
12-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Darkowing Duck, easily.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Has to be darco because of the players missed on. Just in carmelo and Wade alone

yep. That, and what it would have done for Detroit, they were legit contenders. Bosh, Wade, or Melo gives them another ring or two

koreancabbage
12-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Darko lol come on. Look at who was drafted behind him.

each of those players vs the level of talent in their respective drafts: Darko looks the worse.

2-ONE-5
12-08-2014, 05:25 PM
yep. That, and what it would have done for Detroit, they were legit contenders. Bosh, Wade, or Melo gives them another ring or two

im not sure about that. i doubt they develop the same in Detroit who wasnt in position to really worry about developing youth

MonroeFAN
12-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Piston fan here.

Darko would be my vote. That's probably the best draft in history. Take Wade, Melo or Bosh and we're likely looking at 2 championships instead of one and maybe more. The Thabeet pick was pretty bad to, and they passed on a lot of great players. But at least he performed during college. We passed on a sure fire talent who had just won the NCAA championship for a European with essentially no game film available.

Kwame had an ok career, he does not belong in this discussion.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2014, 05:38 PM
im not sure about that. i doubt they develop the same in Detroit who wasnt in position to really worry about developing youth

Their talent level was great enough to make a floor impact. I don't disagree that their eventual growth may have been limited under Brown, but they would add a nice punch that would have probably pushed them over the hump a year or two.

Bruno
12-08-2014, 05:45 PM
I'd say Darko out of the three players.

Although the worst draft pick ever might have been LaRue Martin from 1972. He was selected by Portland in front of Julius Erving, Bob McAdoo and Paul Westphal. He played only a few season in the league and was replaced by Bill Walton as Portlands future two years later in 1974. Apparently, he had a great college showdown against Walton before being drafted and because of how well he played, he shot up the pre draft rankings.

And if you want to read something really cool about Dr J. and the 1972 draft:

When he became eligible for the NBA draft in 1972, the Milwaukee Bucks picked him in the first round (12th overall). This move would have brought him together with Oscar Robertson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Instead, the 6 feet 7 inches (2.01 m), 210-pound (95 kg) Erving signed a contract with the Atlanta Hawks before the 1972 draft when he discovered his former agent Steve Arnold happened to work for the Squires, deluding him to sign for a low paying contract.

As attorneys tried to reach an agreement among three teams in two leagues, Erving joined Pete Maravich and the Hawks's training camp, as they prepared for the upcoming season. Erving enjoyed his brief time with Atlanta, and he would later duplicate with George Gervin his after-practice playing with Maravich. He played three exhibition games with the Hawks until, because of a legal injunction, he was obliged by a three-judge panel to return to the ABA Squires. The NBA fined Atlanta $25,000 per game for Erving's Hawks appearances because Milwaukee owned his NBA rights.

jaydubb
12-08-2014, 06:40 PM
This is not who was the biggest bust, although, all 3 could be considered bust, being top 2 overall picks. but the question is, which team ****ed up the biggest by taking one of these guys over somebody else in that draft

Kwame Brown - taken First overall

Players the Lakers Past on

Tyson Chandler #2
Pau Gasol #3
Joe Johnson #10
Zack Randolph #19
Tony Parker #28
Gilbert Arenas - #31

Darco Milicic- Taken Second Overall

Players the Pistons Passed on

Carmelo Anthony #3
Chris Bosh #4
Dwane Wade #5
Chris Kaman #6
Kirk Hinrich #7
David West # 18

Hasheem Thabeet - Taken Second Overall

Players the Grizlies Passed on

James harden #3
Tyreke Evans #4
Ricky Rubio #5
Stephon Curry #7
Demar Derozan #9
Brandon Jennings #10
Jrue Holiday #17
Ty Lawson #18
Jeff Teague #19
Darren Collison #21

The lakers did not draft kwame brown so I'm not sure why you said they passed* on all those players.. The Wizards drafted kwame brown..

As for the thread, I think it's darko.. I think carmelo and Dwayne wade were clearly easier picks as well as bosh at the #2 pick..

Shammyguy3
12-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Darko by far. Wade's a top-25 player ever, arguably top-20 based on peak alone. Then you have Bosh, Melo, West, and Hinrich even after him. Thabeet could hypothetically take that spot in 10 years though, Harden/Curry could be the two of the most dominant offensive guards this league will see

THE MTL
12-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Darko because of who he was picked over. 2003 draft class was just so stacked and Pistons dropped the bomb. If they drafted Melo, they would have had a dynasty for years to come no question.

However Thabeet is the worst player of the bunch and already had a year or two out the league.

PowerHouse
12-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Out of those three I would have to say that by far the worst pick was Greg Oden.

:laugh2:

JasonJohnHorn
12-09-2014, 01:04 AM
Thabeet is easily the worst player of the three.

Had Darko and Kwambe been late first round picks, most would say they had decent careers.

Kwambe was a big body and a decent rebound, and Darko could block shots.

Darko's per36 stats were nearly a double-double and he was an solid shot blocker, though he committed a lot of fouls. Had he not had high expectations and drafted later, people would view him favourably. And teams were always willing to take him in a trade or sign him.

Kwambe has always hovered near a double-double per36, and had been a second round pick instead of a first pick, people would be kinder about him.

Thabeet can't even get minutes. In give years he's barely cracked 200 games, and that is more because of DNP-CD than injuries. Kwambe and Darko were at least good enough to get starting minutes on several rosters. His second year he averaged like 6 fouls per block....

If you had a three-man rotation at center and you were working with these three guys, Kwambe would start and Darko would take most of the remaining minutes with Thabeet getting time when the others are injured or in foul trouble.

This isn't even a conversation about who the worst player is.

That said, Detroit fawked up the most. Wade would have been a perfect fit, he could play both guard position, come off the bench, with two rings his first two seasons, and free agents would have been taking discounts to play on a contender. Who knows... maybe evne LBJ goes to D-town instead of Miami.

Passing up on Harden and Curry was a big fawk up though... still... Houston ended up with one of them.

MrfadeawayJB
12-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Darko, thabeet, brown

JWO35
12-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Worst Player: Thabeet(never came close to even being a decent/serviceable player)
Worst Pick: Darko(Obviously, picked in front of two potentially HOFs and two of the best of the 2000s era)

Many people mentioned Greg Oden. IMO when its all said and done Oden will live in infamy with Sam Bowie in regards to "being picked in front of KD.

DreamShaker
12-09-2014, 01:08 PM

This. He was never any good, and he proved that. I never got that pick. Darko and Kwame at least never got exposed in college like Thabeet. They were all upside picks, but Thabeet was purely a shot-blocker.

andy2518
12-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Darco.

SportsFanatic10
12-09-2014, 06:25 PM
it's darco imo just because of the position detroit was it and the talent they missed after him in melo/bosh/wade. the pistons had a great team and missed a chance to really add a franchise player to that and win more than just the 1 ring.

rapsjaysfan88
12-09-2014, 06:38 PM
may I add Andrea Bargnani 2 the mix?

bigmac8675
12-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Easy... Milicic

Kyben36
12-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Greg Oden

but out of the three to choose from, Kwame was the best player lol... Darko worst pick IMO

Oden had injury issues, none of these guys have that excuse, they were all just under achievers, i cant beleive that people arnt more upset about Thabeet, James Harden, Steph Curry, Demar Demar derozan,