PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Rose "I can't Breathe"

Tony_Starks
12-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Before the game yesterday D Rose wore a "I can't breathe" T shirt instead of a shooting shirt. Pretty cool on his part to publicly take a stance on that situation.

benny01
12-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Yep, pretty classy. He really does a ton of work in the city in regards to all of the violence too.
Que the shitstorm.

WOwolfOL
12-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Don't worry, Derrick, just shoot another 3-pointer.

Cal827
12-07-2014, 09:09 PM
I saw this as a comment on another article by a Bulls fan:

"Oh Great, now he has another injury to deal with"

Tony_Starks
12-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Yep, pretty classy. He really does a ton of work in the city in regards to all of the violence too.
Que the shitstorm.

I have family in Chi town that say the exact same thing, he's a really good guy behind the scenes. I really don't know where all the hate came from...

Cal827
12-07-2014, 09:12 PM
I think there will be more people will take a stance on this, especially with this case has a video, and it's 100% clear that it was an idiot cop with an ego trip, who got away with murdering this guy.

What in the hell is wrong with the legal system? Are states afraid of indicting officers?

benny01
12-07-2014, 09:14 PM
I have family in Chi town that say the exact same thing, he's a really good guy behind the scenes. I really don't know where all the hate came from...
Chicago really loves nothing more than to hate the guys that play for them. It's tradition.

benny01
12-07-2014, 09:15 PM
I think there will be more people will take a stance on this, especially with this case has a video, and it's 100% clear that it was an idiot cop with an ego trip, who got away with murdering this guy.

What in the hell is wrong with the legal system? Are states afraid of indicting officers?
DA's indict people and the police work for them

bgdreton
12-07-2014, 09:42 PM

No it's under the prosecutors control of evidence shown to the grand jury when indicting officers. Normally the prosecutors are working with cops which is why is so hard to indict them. It really conflict of interest so yes the system is garbage.

IndyRealist
12-07-2014, 09:44 PM
DA's indict people and the police work for them
Basically this. DA's see police as on the same side, and rarely give full effort to bring one to trial. They use the grand jury as a political scapegoat. To paraphrase, a DA could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich. In the Brown case specifically, the DA called his own witness a liar.

They CHOOSE not to narrate the evidence, and the jury is so confused by the disjointed testimony and evidence that they can't make heads or tails of it.

The adversarial system relies on the prosecutor giving 100% effort to convict whether he belives it or not, because the defense is giving 100% effort to acquit regardless of whether they think their client is innocent. When the prosecutor fails to hold up his/her end, the system can't work.

benny01
12-07-2014, 09:51 PM
If there were a such thing as an independent body federally that could prosecute, that would be the way to go. Any death as a result of police action should be reviewed by a federal prosecuter and charges should or should not be filed at the prosecuters discretion. The person or persons charged could defend themselves at the subsequent trial.

benny01
12-07-2014, 09:55 PM

Jeffy25
12-07-2014, 10:19 PM
I'd prefer players wouldn't take stances, but whatever.

blahblahyoutoo
12-07-2014, 10:35 PM

yeah, lets just leave that to our president and his "sons".

Rain City
12-07-2014, 10:46 PM
edit

PurpleLynch
12-08-2014, 05:48 AM

Why?

2-ONE-5
12-08-2014, 09:46 AM

if it was a white guy that died it wouldnt even be anything more than local news

ManningToTyree
12-08-2014, 09:53 AM
How much time is he gunna miss now....

But seriously I'm cool with peaceful protest no big deal

Jeffy25
12-08-2014, 10:23 AM
Why?

Because they are athletes, not political commentators.

Their political proweress and ideas are no different than the rest of us. I also don't like political bumper stickers. I find it silly to use your car as a political advertisement.

Personal opinion.

IndyRealist
12-08-2014, 11:53 AM
if it was a white guy that died it wouldnt even be anything more than local news
If it was a white guy that died, the cop would have been indicted. But white people living in affluent areas can be be belligerent to police and not get put in a choke hold, which is illegal no matter who the suspect is.

2-ONE-5
12-08-2014, 12:34 PM
maybe stop resisting arrest and doing illegal things in public?

lamzoka
12-08-2014, 12:45 PM

Oh please, just stop it man.

2-ONE-5
12-08-2014, 12:50 PM
dont force a cops hand. its that simple.

blahblahyoutoo
12-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Their political proweress and ideas are no different than the rest of us. I also don't like political bumper stickers. I find it silly to use your car as a political advertisement.

Personal opinion.

athletes are also dumb as bricks, especially drose.
have you heard him speak in interviews? kids afflicted with down syndrome are more eloquent than him.

blahblahyoutoo
12-08-2014, 01:08 PM

nah, it's far easier to terrorize your own community and burn down locally owned stores. that'll show em!

DaBUU
12-08-2014, 01:22 PM

So we've granted special judge, jury and immediate execution powers to the police now? Wow, I missed that one.

72 Wins
12-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Regardless of my opinion of this matter, has the NBA talked about fining Rose for wearing a non-approved pregame shirt?

DarkKnight
12-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Listen was the cop or cops wrong yes , was the who died could've avoided everything by just being arrested in the first place yes... The cop or cops were wrong and so was the poor guy who died... But also and this isn't a parting shot because I feel he shouldn't have died... But damn I read he was arrested some 30 or so times....that's just crazy in it self

2-ONE-5
12-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Listen was the cop or cops wrong yes , was the who died could've avoided everything by just being arrested in the first place yes... The cop or cops were wrong and so was the poor guy who died... But also and this isn't a parting shot because I feel he shouldn't have died... But damn I read he was arrested some 30 or so times....that's just crazy in it self

you would think he knew the drill

blahblahyoutoo
12-08-2014, 02:06 PM

he was committing a crime.
he was resisting arrest.
he had an pre-existing condition.

don't do illegal **** and the cops don't bother you.
i've been walking the streets of nyc, and i watch plenty of others do the same thing without getting roughed up be LEO.

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 02:46 PM
nah, it's far easier to terrorize your own community and burn down locally owned stores. that'll show em!

Not funny at all... Show some intelligence

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 02:51 PM

You should probably stop posting from now on with that statement.

DaBUU
12-08-2014, 02:54 PM
he was resisting arrest.

i've been walking the streets of nyc, and i watch plenty of others do the same thing without getting roughed up be LEO.

Sounds like you'd be down for America's own version of The Star of David. Do you have any suggestions on what the lot of us should wear around our neck? Ya know, so we all know our place.

blahblahyoutoo
12-08-2014, 03:07 PM

Sounds like you'd be down for America's own version of The Star of David. Do you have any suggestions on what the lot of us should wear around our neck? Ya know, so we all know our place.

refute what i said instead of posting meaningless comments. maybe we can have an honest conversation. or i might just be naive, expecting this in a sports forum. yeah, i'll go with that.

2-ONE-5
12-08-2014, 03:08 PM
You should probably stop posting from now on with that statement.

did he not resist arrest or commit a crime?

2-ONE-5
12-08-2014, 03:09 PM
would Rose being wearing a t-shirt in support of any of race under the same circumstacnes?

blahblahyoutoo
12-08-2014, 03:11 PM
would Rose being wearing a t-shirt in support of any of race under the same circumstacnes?

don't you get it? black lives matter. only when they're taken by white people.
lets ignore all the other black ppl killed by other blacks on a daily basis (or hourly like in chicago).

sjbirds
12-08-2014, 03:14 PM

So we've granted special judge, jury and immediate execution powers to the police now? Wow, I missed that one.
Let's stand up for a ****ing scumbag drug dealing jerkoff who if he didn't resist arrest would still be alive. Makes sense. If he couldn't breath he wouldn't have been able to say I can't breath.

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 03:21 PM

refute what i said instead of posting meaningless comments. maybe we can have an honest conversation. or i might just be naive, expecting this in a sports forum. yeah, i'll go with that.

Lol man protest and violence have been a part of America for years upon years. It is the only way to get people to listen that don't want to hear it. These type of demonstrations are part of the reason why I could drink the same water as a white person today. Granted it sucks for the community but let's not point the finger at something else to cover up the main topic. The fact of the matter a GUY was killed for no reason that's a problem.

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 03:23 PM

Who cares the point is someone died that should not have.

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 03:26 PM

lets ignore all the other black ppl killed by other blacks on a daily basis (or hourly like in chicago).

Yes they do matter, cops killing blacks and/ or blacks killing blacks so what your point? It all matters, just because blacks kill other blacks doesn't make cops killing blacks not wrong.

sjbirds
12-08-2014, 03:27 PM

But if he wasn't doing illegal stuff and resisting arrest he would be alive.

IndyRealist
12-08-2014, 03:28 PM
he was resisting arrest.

If a criminal holds up a liquor store and the clerk has a heart attack due to a pre-existing condition, the criminal gets murder.

The cop applied an illegal choke hold, the suspect had a pre-existing condition and died. What's the difference?

2-ONE-5
12-08-2014, 03:30 PM

that happens daily and i dont see any other protests.

sjbirds
12-08-2014, 03:31 PM
he was resisting arrest.

If a criminal holds up a liquor store and the clerk has a heart attack due to a pre-existing condition, the criminal gets murder.

The cop applied an illegal choke hold, the suspect had a pre-existing condition and died. What's the difference?
Haha really? Because the clerk wasn't committing a crime. This guy was. How do you not see the difference

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 03:32 PM

Let's stand up for a ****ing scumbag drug dealing jerkoff who if he didn't resist arrest would still be alive. Makes sense. If he couldn't breath he wouldn't have been able to say I can't breath.

Even with that said it still doesn't make it right to kill somebody. There were at least 6 cops on top of him it was unnecessary to choke him, and obviously he couldn't breath because he died. On top of that wouldn't you struggle back of someone was choking your breath away?

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 03:33 PM

that happens daily and i dont see any other protests.

just because you don't see it doesn't happen? Lol

IndyRealist
12-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Haha really? Because the clerk wasn't committing a crime. This guy was. How do you not see the difference

The cop comimitted a crime. Choke holds are prohibited and conside r ed police brutality.

sjbirds
12-08-2014, 03:35 PM

Even with that said it still doesn't make it right to kill somebody. There were at least 6 cops on top of him it was unnecessary to choke him, and obviously he couldn't breath because he died. On top of that wouldn't you struggle back of someone was choking your breath away?
No I hate that he died it's awful when a life is lost but again if he complied he would be alive. He wouldn't have been choked or fought with

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 03:35 PM

The cop comimitted a crime. Choke holds are prohibited and conside r ed police brutality.

Exactly

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 03:41 PM

No I hate that he died it's awful when a life is lost but again if he complied he would be alive. He wouldn't have been choked or fought with

The choke is illegal doesn't matter that's a crime as well. On the ground he didn't struggle he was laying there lifeless and got stared at for 15 mins like he was a piece of garbage. There were more than enough cops to restrain him without faults.

DarkKnight
12-08-2014, 03:41 PM

I believe that's legal in NY

benny01
12-08-2014, 03:50 PM
you can ignore them, but the black community certainly doesn't ignore the problem. There are multiple marches and demonstrations every year in chicago that are organized in relation to this issue. That also says nothing of hundreds of community supported after school programs and the like. Drose doesn't ignore the problem as he has donated millions of dollars to said programs. The Bulls don't ignore them as they hold multiple events a year to try to deal with the violence, including Noah's basketball tournament that he funds with the Bulls.
The biggest problem with this issue regardless of which side one falls on is the rampant ignorance that people have while proceeding to open their ****ing mouths. We would have just as informed discussion if we were talking about molecular physics.

blahblahyoutoo
12-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Lol man protest and violence have been a part of America for years upon years. It is the only way to get people to listen that don't want to hear it. These type of demonstrations are part of the reason why I could drink the same water as a white person today. Granted it sucks for the community but let's not point the finger at something else to cover up the main topic. The fact of the matter a GUY was killed for no reason that's a problem.

is we talking about ferguson specifically now?

benny01
12-08-2014, 03:54 PM
I believe that's legal in NY
True, it is legal they are taught not to do it. Though to be fair the coroner ruled the death a homicide, for what it's worth.

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 03:55 PM
you can ignore them, but the black community certainly doesn't ignore the problem. There are multiple marches and demonstrations every year in chicago that are organized in relation to this issue. That also says nothing of hundreds of community supported after school programs and the like. Drose doesn't ignore the problem as he has donated millions of dollars to said programs. The Bulls don't ignore them as they hold multiple events a year to try to deal with the violence, including Noah's basketball tournament that he funds with the Bulls.
The biggest problem with this issue regardless of which side one falls on is the rampant ignorance that people have while proceeding to open their ****ing mouths. We would have just as informed discussion if we were talking about molecular physics.

Well said...

benny01
12-08-2014, 04:05 PM
was selling loose cigarettes, no need to embellish he was committing a crime

benny01
12-08-2014, 04:12 PM
you hate that a scumbag drug dealing jerk off, your words, died. Being from a rural area, it sure sounds like you think that n***** got what was coming to him.
Seriously if you want to have an honest debate have one, but the first thing you said in this thread was ill-informed and inflammatory. Not really conducive to debate.

blahblahyoutoo
12-08-2014, 04:20 PM
just because you don't see it doesn't happen? Lol

at this scale? no, not even close.
there are truly innocent black kids that are killed daily, unlike this guy who was a career criminal.
lemme axe you, why are 2 criminals (brown and garner) revered to the point that we have national protests, but truly innocent blacks that are killed barely get a mention?

benny01
12-08-2014, 04:26 PM
there are truly innocent black kids that are killed daily, unlike this guy who was a career criminal.
lemme axe you, why are 2 criminals (brown and garner) revered to the point that we have national protests, but truly innocent blacks that are killed barely get a mention?
I think that your issue is with the media coverage, not the activist or black community. I think that many would ask that same question.

blahblahyoutoo
12-08-2014, 04:46 PM
I think that your issue is with the media coverage, not the activist or black community. I think that many would ask that same question.

oh, i have issues with all 3. esp with the race baiter "activists" like sharpton and his bff jessie.

and with the media that constantly portrays these thugs as innocent children with photos that were taken 10 years ago. for not asking the real questions like why do you still believe your child was innocent despite all the forensic evidence and accounts from black witnesses that show otherwise.

and the inner black community... i think anyone that lives near a major metropolis in the US has issues with them.

jimm120
12-08-2014, 05:15 PM
The problem hasn't been about Race (though there is an underlying theme). Its more about police protocol and police brutality (excessive force) in all of these cases.

Phantom Dreamer
12-08-2014, 05:25 PM

But if he wasn't doing illegal stuff and resisting arrest he would be alive.So the penalty is being choked to death?

DarkKnight
12-08-2014, 05:41 PM

This is true and really sad

DarkKnight
12-08-2014, 05:43 PM
oh, i have issues with all 3. esp with the race baiter "activists" like sharpton and his bff jessie.

and with the media that constantly portrays these thugs as innocent children with photos that were taken 10 years ago. for not asking the real questions like why do you still believe your child was innocent despite all the forensic evidence and accounts from black witnesses that show otherwise.

and the inner black community... i think anyone that lives near a major metropolis in the US has issues with them.

Sharpton is the biggest fraud ever ....tax evasion still owes millions and Twanna Brawley case was a complete joke

DarkKnight
12-08-2014, 05:46 PM
The problem hasn't been about Race (though there is an underlying theme). Its more about police protocol and police brutality (excessive force) in all of these cases.

Its not bad enough you can't stop and frisk anymore... I look at it this way if you're not hiding anything why would you be upset if you were frisked ...

blahblahyoutoo
12-08-2014, 05:57 PM
So the penalty is being choked to death?

no, i don't believe the cop intentionally killed him. he apologized for his death.
he had a pre-existing condition and it was an unfortunate event.

lemme axe you... i've been in the city for many years and not once was i harassed by the cops. i've been pulled aside and have had my bags searched in the subways by cops. I comply and it's over with in less than 5 seconds.
all the people that i associate with have similar pleasant experiences.

it's not hard. don't do illegal ****. don't resist arrest. these are two things that brown and garner failed to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ

TheIlladelph16
12-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Its not bad enough you can't stop and frisk anymore... I look at it this way if you're not hiding anything why would you be upset if you were frisked ...

Holy ****, do you really support "Stop and Frisk" policies? It's an inherently racist policy/protocol and it encourages profiling based on race and economic status. I feel like this is something that everyone on all sides of the political spectrum should plainly see.

When did so many people in this country become content with their rights being stripped away?

TheIlladelph16
12-08-2014, 06:32 PM

Some folks are ok with cops playing the role of Police, Judge, Jury and Executioner it seems.

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 06:45 PM

no, i don't believe the cop intentionally killed him. he apologized for his death.
he had a pre-existing condition and it was an unfortunate event.

lemme axe you... i've been in the city for many years and not once was i harassed by the cops. i've been pulled aside and have had my bags searched in the subways by cops. I comply and it's over with in less than 5 seconds.
all the people that i associate with have similar pleasant experiences.

it's not hard. don't do illegal ****. don't resist arrest. these are two things that brown and garner failed to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ

Whatever you say buddy. Hey I killed your mom but I said sorry so it's cool right! Can I still get those wonderful muffins see used to cook before I killed her. Even if he didn't mean to kill him it's still negligence of someone's life. You don't under hook someone's throat for that length of time and not expect death especially when there were enough cops to take down an entire donut shop. Come on give me a break we will agree to disagree on this.

DarkKnight
12-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Holy ****, do you really support "Stop and Frisk" policies? It's an inherently racist policy/protocol and it encourages profiling based on race and economic status. I feel like this is something that everyone on all sides of the political spectrum should plainly see.

When did so many people in this country become content with their rights being stripped away?

If you have nothing to hide , what's the problem ? Look how well that's gone in Chicago since its stopped ....

TheIlladelph16
12-08-2014, 07:05 PM
If you have nothing to hide , what's the problem ? Look how well that's gone in Chicago since its stopped ....

Bc the police shouldn't have the right to stop and search you on their own whims. Wtf. We have an amendment in our constitution dedicated to protecting us from this sort of thing, yet the response is "well if you're innocent, you shouldn't worry. No, as an innocent citizen I shouldn't have to worry about the police stopping me and illegally searching me based on the fact that I might be black or I look "shady" in their eyes.

DarkKnight
12-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Bc the police shouldn't have the right to stop and search you on their own whims. Wtf. We have an amendment in our constitution dedicated to protecting us from this sort of thing, yet the response is "well if you're innocent, you shouldn't worry. No, as an innocent citizen I shouldn't have to worry about the police stopping me and illegally searching me based on the fact that I might be black or I look "shady" in their eyes.

It worked well if done right , if you feel you're being singled out than that's a problem ... Again I feel people who have that issue Usually have something to hide

lamzoka
12-08-2014, 07:32 PM
If I'm in a dark alley and I see a police officer I'll be fear for my life. He'll see the color of my skin as a threat and fear for his life, therefor putting mines in danger.

Not all police officers are bad, and not all black people are criminals. I've never been arrested in my life, but yet I've been pulled over and dragged out my car at gunpoint because I matched the "description". Before some of you racist ****ers tell me "but you match the description". I didn't match ****. That's just a tactic police officers use to illegally search our cars without probable cause or consent.

Most police precincts are on a monthly quotas. The officers do whatever it takes to meet that quotas even if it means pinning drugs on someone.

This is bigger than Mike Brown, Eric Garner, Shawn Bell, Amadou Diallo etc...

But I don't expect some of you racist ****ers here to understand that.

sjbirds
12-08-2014, 07:46 PM
you hate that a scumbag drug dealing jerk off, your words, died. Being from a rural area, it sure sounds like you think that n***** got what was coming to him.
Seriously if you want to have an honest debate have one, but the first thing you said in this thread was ill-informed and inflammatory. Not really conducive to debate.
Don't put words in my mouth but again if he doesn't resist arrest or break the law he is alive. And let's debate. If you're not breaking the law the cops won't bother u. Simple as that

ichitownclowni
12-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Don't put words in my mouth but again if he doesn't resist arrest or break the law he is alive. And let's debate. If you're not breaking the law the cops won't bother u. Simple as that
Thats not true at all

sjbirds
12-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Thats not true at all
What part?

lamzoka
12-08-2014, 07:59 PM

WRONG.

Some police officers mess with u just for standing in front of your house.

"What are doing here?"
"Do you any weapons on you?"
"Do you have any warrants?"
"Let me see ur ID?"

Me: I live here

Officer: I don't give a ****, go inside or when I come back around you're spending the night in a cell.

blahblahyoutoo
12-08-2014, 08:18 PM
If I'm in a dark alley and I see a police officer I'll be fear for my life. He'll see the color of my skin as a threat and fear for his life, therefor putting mines in danger.

Not all police officers are bad, and not all black people are criminals. I've never been arrested in my life, but yet I've been pulled over and dragged out my car at gunpoint because I matched the "description". Before some of you racist ****ers tell me "but you match the description". I didn't match ****. That's just a tactic police officers use to illegally search our cars without probable cause or consent.

Most police precincts are on a monthly quotas. The officers do whatever it takes to meet that quotas even if it means pinning drugs on someone.

This is bigger than Mike Brown, Eric Garner, Shawn Bell, Amadou Diallo etc...

But I don't expect some of you racist ****ers here to understand that.

jessie jackson, one of the biggest race baiters in the country feels differently than you do.

“There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

http://theracecardproject.com/jesse-jackson-fears-black-youths-racism-2/

lamzoka
12-08-2014, 08:29 PM
jessie jackson, one of the biggest race baiters in the country feels differently than you do.

“There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

http://theracecardproject.com/jesse-jackson-fears-black-youths-racism-2/

Man **** what Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have to say. Those 2 are part of the problem. They're self-appointed spokespersons for all black people.

They don't ****ing represent me.

Im not gonna even click on that link

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 08:39 PM

Negative ghost rider. Its not that simple I've been "bothered" by cops plenty of times for doing nothing.

Ezio
12-08-2014, 08:43 PM
https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/status/542114081206202368

bgdreton
12-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Lol Jesse Jackson and AL whatever the hell can kiss my black ***!

lamzoka
12-08-2014, 08:51 PM
https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/status/542114081206202368

Kyrie too

Raps18-19 Champ
12-08-2014, 08:51 PM
But can you walk?

chi-townlove1
12-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Man this **** got way to political and out of hand. Please shut it down mods my goodness. These people can't handle this type of debate

Shmontaine
12-08-2014, 08:59 PM
a few of you don't get this whole America thing.

just because you're not breaking the law, doesn't invite the police into your life. And resisting arrest doesn't mean you don't have the right to live. people are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law and have a right to due process. how many think a judge would've sentenced Garner to death? anyone?

and why bring up gang violence? how's that productive? are you guys supporting gang violence, since most of the people killed are thugs? granted some people are innocent victims and collateral damage, but the same happens with police brutality. however, i'm pretty sure we should all hold police officers to a higher standard than we hold gang members to.

i'm not advocating for any victim here, but for people to say the police officer did nothing wrong is ridiculous. the fact he can get away with it is worse. the fact that DA's consistently don't go after these cops is not the fault of the DA's, it's the system. people are asking DA's to convict the very same people the DA depend on for their prosecutions. did anyone think they would actually go after the police officers here? the only real solution here is federal intervention, which i just don't see happening any time soon

i often wonder what would the reaction would've been had a bunch of black militia members showed up at the Bundy ranch pointing sniper rifles at federal officers and threatening their lives. i'm pretty sure the outcome wouldn't be the federal agents leaving and the fox news of the world praising them.

In reference to drose's shirt, whatever. the man believes what the man believes. if you have a problem with it, ok i guess, your choice.

chi-townlove1
12-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Man this **** got way to political and out of hand. Please shut it down mods my goodness. These people can't handle this type of debate

raiderfaninTX
12-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Sorry some of you can tell there are posters on here that expect blacks to entertain them and have no voice. As a white man and a veteran it saddens me that racism sill exist, it's just passive aggressive now.

Tony_Starks
12-09-2014, 12:07 AM
At the end of the day someone got choked to death in broad daylight by a cop and D Rose brought some light to it, which he didn't have to do. The Brooklyn Nets starting lineup wore "I can't breathe" shirts tonight as well....

2-ONE-5
12-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Rose didnt bring light to ****. this has been a national story for weeks

PurpleLynch
12-09-2014, 10:18 AM

Personal opinion.

I agree,political bumper stickers are lame(and it's a USA thing I think,in Europe I think it's not that used).
But what's the difference between an Nba's player and a political commentator? Both are entitled to think and say whatever they want about politics. Consequences of what they say is another topic.

Jeffy25
12-09-2014, 10:18 AM
I agree,political bumper stickers are lame(and it's a USA thing I think,in Europe I think it's not that used).
But what's the difference between an Nba's player and a political commentator? Both are entitled to think and say whatever they want about politics. Consequences of what they say is another topic.

I never said there is anything wrong with it.

I just don't care to see it

PurpleLynch
12-09-2014, 10:20 AM

Well,if I'm not hiding anything, why a stranger should check me,invading and taking away for a "X" amount of time my freedom?

PurpleLynch
12-09-2014, 10:26 AM
a few of you don't get this whole America thing.

just because you're not breaking the law, doesn't invite the police into your life. And resisting arrest doesn't mean you don't have the right to live. people are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law and have a right to due process. how many think a judge would've sentenced Garner to death? anyone?

and why bring up gang violence? how's that productive? are you guys supporting gang violence, since most of the people killed are thugs? granted some people are innocent victims and collateral damage, but the same happens with police brutality. however, i'm pretty sure we should all hold police officers to a higher standard than we hold gang members to.

i'm not advocating for any victim here, but for people to say the police officer did nothing wrong is ridiculous. the fact he can get away with it is worse. the fact that DA's consistently don't go after these cops is not the fault of the DA's, it's the system. people are asking DA's to convict the very same people the DA depend on for their prosecutions. did anyone think they would actually go after the police officers here? the only real solution here is federal intervention, which i just don't see happening any time soon

i often wonder what would the reaction would've been had a bunch of black militia members showed up at the Bundy ranch pointing sniper rifles at federal officers and threatening their lives. i'm pretty sure the outcome wouldn't be the federal agents leaving and the fox news of the world praising them.

In reference to drose's shirt, whatever. the man believes what the man believes. if you have a problem with it, ok i guess, your choice.

This. And also it's illegal for policemen,from 1993, to perform a chokehold in NY. That's a fact. The Grand Jury system definitely needs a change.

2-ONE-5
12-09-2014, 10:50 AM

same here espcially from players you know are uneducated

ghettosean
12-09-2014, 02:29 PM
I just watched the video for the 1st time (I was purposely avoiding it because of the Mike Brown story) I couldn't help but cry when watching the video and it's thanks to this Derrick Rose story I actually watched it and made me aware of how bad things are getting. I couldn't be more proud of NBA players for speaking out against this and making sure this becomes worldly news because something has to change. If a man says he can't breathe and you continue to choke him to his death then --> "Something has to change".

Super proud of all NBA players making this a hot topic as well as a worldly topic :clap:

Those who don't care to see it can close there eyes, turn there heads or turn off the TV but for the exposure and other people they have made aware of this atrocity my hats are off to these star players using there star publicity for the good of others.

KG2TB
12-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Wow...the constitution really is meaningless these days. The point isn't if you don't have anything to hide, why should you care if the police investigate you. The point is, we're supposed to have proper checks and balances and due cause for such an occurrence. The police abuse their power all the time. This is nothing new...I don't know enough details about this event to really comment, but listening to some of the comments on here is pretty sad for America. But whatever, who needs the constitution? Just don't have anything to hide, right?

benny01
12-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Great, to start lets address what I quoted above. Honestly, I don't think I put any words in your mouth. In the community I live in we hear this double speak every day, I think you edited yourself do to mixed company. If thats not the case I apologize. Secondly, you don't have to spend much time in black or poor community's to find that the cops will absolutely bother you even if you've done nothing. It happens every day.

The problem with this debate as a whole is that the debate gets lost in the sensationalism of the moment. This a media problem and the problem is the way that they frame the issue. The media frames the issue in a way that makes it seem that blacks are simply protesting due to the circumstances in the recent cases alone. The truth is that these cases are serving as a spark to a fuel that really has little to do with these cases. The problem is that the media doesn't cover the issues that serve as the fuel, they only cover the subsequent explosion.

The issues are many and are very real. The issue is that the wealth gap between black and whites in America today greater than it was in South Africa during apartheid. The issue is with the lack of access to equal and quality education in black communities. The issue is with the increasing militarization of our police forces both in their equipment and their tactics. The issue is with the incredibly high incarceration rates of blacks compared to their white counterparts who commit the same crimes. Equal pay for equal work and on and on and on etc...The issue is equality, not 3/5th's equality but true equality.

The media doesn't cover issues of equality, at least with any real fervor. When they do cover these issues they generally gloss over them or frame then in a political nature when there is nothing particularly political about them. Equality is equality, unlike many other issues equality can generally be measured with hard numbers. Things are equal or their not. The only necessary debate is how we address issues of equality and not whether they exist.

The media covers issues like Ferguson and the Garner case because they sell, and because they are easy. Fox and the like can blame equality issues on young black criminals and NBC and CNN can talk about how racist cops are. They like debates that fit in their boxes, and that they can argue without offending each's viewers. Our politicians do the same, and in neither case does it strictly apply these issues. They do this to every issue. This way they never have to actually address the real problems, cause they are really hard. Solutions can be even harder and messier, at least in votes and at the bank.

ohreally
12-10-2014, 12:00 AM
This. And also it's illegal for policemen,from 1993, to perform a chokehold in NY. That's a fact. The Grand Jury system definitely needs a change.

Well, it's not really illegal. It's against regulations. But no matter, at the VERY least this was manslaughter.

ohreally
12-10-2014, 12:23 AM
same here espcially from players you know are uneducated

Exactly what is "educated"? Are you not fully human if you didn't ace your SATs or psych class? Are you incapable of thought or feeling or comprehension of any kind?

blahblahyoutoo
12-10-2014, 01:40 AM
OK, so let's here your answer to solving the plight of inner city blacks. Because I really don't see how letting cops kill young men for questionable reasons does anything but exacerbate the problem.

Eric Garner was selling loosies. Cigarettes. He did have a record of 30 offenses over 24 years I believe. Most very minor. Several for selling loosies. This was no hardcore thug, and these cops knew that. If cities are as bad as you're describing them, what the hell are five cops doing arresting a guy for selling cigarettes and putting him in a chokehold for saying he was tired of being harassed?

He was being harassed.

There is absolutely no excuse for this, no mater how you reach to find one.

Who is "letting" cops kill young men or condoning it? I see this as an unfortunate accident, not an intentional, murderous act.

where you from? Do you even known the circumstances of this incident (and NYC police politics as a whole), or only what's been force fed to you by the media, because that's what it sounds like.

cmellofan15
12-10-2014, 01:51 AM

This is a great post...I wonder why it wasn't responded to.

bgdreton
12-10-2014, 03:24 AM
those aren't the issues. those are the results of the real issue: inner city black culture. the only culture where it's uncool to speak normal english, dress like civilized humans, and go to school to get your learn on.
the culture where the role model isn't the father (many of whom are unknown to them), but instead are the gangbangers, rap artists, athletes, etc. the culture where parents aren't involved in their kids' well being and education. where a pay raise means popping out another kid because their WIC increases, and they've been on welfare for generations.

lemme axe you this. why is it that poor a$s immigrants from asia (who probably make less than what blacks make in welfare and food stamps here) sacrifice their lives to get their family over here, focus on academics, spend their life savings to get their kids into quality schools and enjoy far greater success when they started out with so much less?

and f0ck blaming the media. ANYONE who lives in a major city in this country witnesses this behavior firsthand. you could be blind living in NYC, philly, LA, Chicago and tell the kind of shlt that's going on. the media isn't making people racist. their own behavior is perpetuating the stereotypes.

here are a few examples. none of these are products of the media, unless you consider WORLDSTARHIPHOP a media corporation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb9LcRP4BSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h9zJtYyjKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udRl9al1h-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEJiUtYUdRo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdShv9H98g

Lol man.. Africans come over and do the same as Asians do, they become Doctors, professors, teachers etc so we know it's not race. Stupid point, the problem is the lack of education just like the above poster said. Before you say well Africa has no schools or whatever it's not true. The disparity between quality schools is mind blowing. Look I'm not even mad that you don't understand, I'm taken back that you cant open your eyes and see the true problem. The problem is they are the product of thier environment plus social control. it's obvious you have a particular view about blacks in America (food stamps/ government help etc) and your entitled to your opinion however your stance shows that you are apart of the problem and not the solution. You point fingers about blacks, they do this, they do that and you cherry pick your facts. Thats like me saying more whites are on food stamps than blacks but I omit that there are more whites in America than blacks see what I did there? You say these are facts well let's think intelligently and figure out why they are that way and see what can be changed. Don't get me wrong we as a group have a lot of growing up to do but its not our complete failure, it's not just a black problem but an American one. Lastly you turned this conversation into what blacks do wrong instead of facing the fact that a man died for no reason is a travesty. I'm done...

PurpleLynch
12-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Well, it's not really illegal. It's against regulations. But no matter, at the VERY least this was manslaughter.

Totally agree. Yes,I used "illegal" in an incorrect way. It's a police department regulation,but nonetheless it must be followed as a rule in a police department. Eh,these situations make me very sad...

PurpleLynch
12-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Who is "letting" cops kill young men or condoning it? I see this as an unfortunate accident, not an intentional, murderous act.

where you from? Do you even known the circumstances of this incident (and NYC police politics as a whole), or only what's been force fed to you by the media, because that's what it sounds like.

It doesn't matter if it's an incident. It's called involuntary(in my opinion is voluntary,but whatever) manslaughter. And it's a crime punished with prison.

PurpleLynch
12-10-2014, 08:03 AM

Ah ok,because in your first post you said that you prefere not seeing politics opinions of athletes. If it's that the case,they matter for you in a kind of way that I don't know.

PurpleLynch
12-10-2014, 08:18 AM
And,at last,here a link with a photo of Nairobi. It's the capital city of Kenya,in Africa.
So stop with the BS about poor asians getting in the Usa and work x100 harder than african-americans,who rely on food stamps and welfare payments.

http://www.kicc.co.ke/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Nairobi-night.jpg

Jeffy25
12-10-2014, 09:09 AM
And,at last,here a link with a photo of Nairobi. It's the capital city of Kenya,in Africa.
So stop with the BS about poor asians getting in the Usa and work x100 harder than african-americans,who rely on food stamps and welfare payments.

http://www.kicc.co.ke/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Nairobi-night.jpg

Not that I care or have any thoughts on this....

But Africans and African-Americans can be two completely different groups of people. And isolating a singular picture of a bustling city in Africa does nothing to support the argument that followed your post, even if it is combating ignorance

blahblahyoutoo
12-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Lol man.. Africans come over and do the same as Asians do, they become Doctors, professors, teachers etc so we know it's not race. Stupid point, the problem is the lack of education just like the above poster said. Before you say well Africa has no schools or whatever it's not true. The disparity between quality schools is mind blowing. Look I'm not even mad that you don't understand, I'm taken back that you cant open your eyes and see the true problem. The problem is they are the product of thier environment plus social control. it's obvious you have a particular view about blacks in America (food stamps/ government help etc) and your entitled to your opinion however your stance shows that you are apart of the problem and not the solution. You point fingers about blacks, they do this, they do that and you cherry pick your facts. Thats like me saying more whites are on food stamps than blacks but I omit that there are more whites in America than blacks see what I did there? You say these are facts well let's think intelligently and figure out why they are that way and see what can be changed. Don't get me wrong we as a group have a lot of growing up to do but its not our complete failure, it's not just a black problem but an American one. Lastly you turned this conversation into what blacks do wrong instead of facing the fact that a man died for no reason is a travesty. I'm done...

Mah homie, reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
Notice I didn't say blacks or even African Americans. I targeted a very specific sub group which is inner city blacks.

There are inner city minorities of many types but none behave like that group.

d00d
12-10-2014, 10:17 AM
his shirt should have read "I can't play"

DarkKnight
12-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Well,if I'm not hiding anything, why a stranger should check me,invading and taking away for a "X" amount of time my freedom?

Its like checking people on planes I'm sure you have a problem with that too... Unless you're out there protecting citizens, Its tough to say what expect there cops go through day and night

basketfan4life
12-10-2014, 10:56 AM
I don't get this. The man said i can't breath like 11 times. he could have loosen his arm just a little bit and let the guy live, you know still arresting him. there are like 10 cops there, what could he do?run away? he could do nothing... How can anyone defend this? This is pure murder.

I live in Turkey and there is zero black/white racism here. So i'm a hundred percent objective. The cop murdered that man. And hats off to d-rose for bringing news all the way here.

Tony_Starks
12-10-2014, 12:03 PM
A lot of players are supporting this. Kyrie, D Williams, KG, Kobe.

That's really big because these players have nothing to gain by doing this. In fact it could actually have negative ramifications because as ridiculous as it sounds some people really feel like it's no big deal, why even talk about it...

bgdreton
12-10-2014, 12:46 PM

Mah homie, reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
Notice I didn't say blacks or even African Americans. I targeted a very specific sub group which is inner city blacks.

There are inner city minorities of many types but none behave like that group.

Don't act like you don't lump all blacks together. It's cool man I get it

bgdreton
12-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Of all your post that was the first time you referred to blacks as so called inner city blacks. So now your being more specific?

sjbirds
12-10-2014, 01:00 PM
But the thing is this wasn't because of race and that's what everyone is making it about. The person in charge in this at that moment was a black female officer. This was simply someone who repeatedly I think I read 30 times broke the law. And at that moment he was resisting. And if he was truly unable to breath he wouldn't have been able to say that 11 times. He didn't die from the choke hold he died from cardiac arrest. Note it may have contributed but was not what killed him

Tony_Starks
12-10-2014, 01:09 PM
But the thing is this wasn't because of race and that's what everyone is making it about. The person in charge in this at that moment was a black female officer. This was simply someone who repeatedly I think I read 30 times broke the law. And at that moment he was resisting. And if he was truly unable to breath he wouldn't have been able to say that 11 times. He didn't die from the choke hold he died from cardiac arrest. Note it may have contributed but was not what killed him

Wow man. If that's what you believe then God Bless. A man committing a petty crime not being violent whatsoever got choked out in broad daylight, ON VIDEO, while basically begging for his life with no repercussions. Even if he was a Arch Villian I still don't see how anyone can justify that.

sjbirds
12-10-2014, 01:22 PM

Wow man. If that's what you believe then God Bless. A man committing a petty crime not being violent whatsoever got choked out in broad daylight, ON VIDEO, while basically begging for his life with no repercussions. Even if he was a Arch Villian I still don't see how anyone can justify that.
Not condoning the end result but this isn't a race thing n if he didn't resist he wouldn't have been subdued

ghettosean
12-10-2014, 02:02 PM
See this thread if interested:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?881201-Illinois-made-it-a-Felony-for-Citizens-to-Record-the-Police-Mainstream-media-silent

Illinois made it illegal to record police on Dec 2, 2014.

Tony_Starks
12-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Not condoning the end result but this isn't a race thing n if he didn't resist he wouldn't have been subdued

How can you resist arrest surrounded by a gang of cops? What was he going to do sell more cigarettes?

I'm sure you don't see it as a race issue but black people get harassed, brutalized, and murdered by cops all the time and it goes unreported. When a cop just so happens to finally get caught doing it, of course it's a race issue.

ghettosean
12-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Bravo for the NBA players creating awareness about this because this is getting worse and worse and I'm glad on the global attention this is getting but obviously big brother is upset.

PurpleLynch
12-10-2014, 02:36 PM

But Africans and African-Americans can be two completely different groups of people. And isolating a singular picture of a bustling city in Africa does nothing to support the argument that followed your post, even if it is combating ignorance

I agree,I was pointing(to "blahblahyoutoo") that it's not true what he was trying to say. He said that african americans passed a lot of time in the Usa and they still "don't produce" or "behave well" like asians for example. And it could be compared to how africans are doing in their continent...that's why a showed him one of a lot of example of how Africa is not entirely what most of people think.

benny01
12-10-2014, 02:42 PM

This is a very good point. African and Asian immigrants don't share the history of blacks in this country.
Although, his post has merit in reponse to the ignorance of the post that he was referring. A post, to be fair, that's language couldnt' be seen as anything but incendiary and ban worthy under the rules of this forum. ie. lemme axe.

PurpleLynch
12-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Its like checking people on planes I'm sure you have a problem with that too... Unless you're out there protecting citizens, Its tough to say what expect there cops go through day and night

They choose their work.If they want to be cops,they know that they will have to put themselves in danger to protect our community. I mean,it's their work! Sadly,like in any job,there is a percentage of people who abuse their position for a lot of reasons. Cops too.
The topic about planes safety is different: we all know what happened in recent years with planes(9/11 above all),plus we accept to be checked because there are a lot of people in a small "vehicle" that flies in the sky with us;simple as that,we are afraid about that and we prefere preventing the plane from blowing up with us inside. It's pretty different from standing on a sidewalk in "x" city,selling loose cigarettes.
If we use your argument,we could apply "stop and frisk" just about everywhere,sidewalks,buses,trains and even your home! After all anyone could hide a crime in his home,amirite?

PurpleLynch
12-10-2014, 02:50 PM
This is a very good point. African and Asian immigrants don't share the history of blacks in this country.
Although, his post has merit in reponse to the ignorance of the post that he was referring. A post, to be fair, that's language couldnt' be seen as anything but incendiary and ban worthy under the rules of this forum. ie. lemme axe.

Yes they don't share the same history,I know it. I just explained why I decided to put a Nairobi's photo in my comment,it was something just for blahblahyoutoo and his ignorance.

benny01
12-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Yes they don't share the same history,I know it. I just explained why I decided to put a Nairobi's photo in my comment,it was something just for blahblahyoutoo and his ignorance.
No, I get it completely. It's relevent in response to the other post entirely. I just wanted to point out the that the history is very different as it's crucial to any converation on race in this country.

PurpleLynch
12-10-2014, 03:01 PM
No, I get it completely. It's relevent in response to the other post entirely. I just wanted to point out the that the history is very different as it's crucial to any converation on race in this country.

Totally agree. Plus asians came to the Usa a lot of time ago;if I remember correctly,during WWII,like 100000 japaneses living in the Usa were put in "military zones" aka internment camps.

benny01
12-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Totally agree. Plus asians came to the Usa a lot of time ago;if I remember correctly,during WWII,like 100000 japaneses living in the Usa were put in "military zones" aka internment camps.
If you want to get technical they were here first as Native Americans are of Asian decent. But yeah, they were a very important part of the development of the West in the 19th century. Though the other poster was referring to recent Asian immigrants.
I see your from Italy so fun joke time. If you call someone who speaks two languages bilingual, what do you call someone who speaks only one?

sjbirds
12-10-2014, 03:34 PM
How can you resist arrest surrounded by a gang of cops? What was he going to do sell more cigarettes?

I'm sure you don't see it as a race issue but black people get harassed, brutalized, and murdered by cops all the time and it goes unreported. When a cop just so happens to finally get caught doing it, of course it's a race issue.

cmon he was swatting away their hands he was completely resisting. As do white people my friend. Thats why i dont see this as a race issue and people are making it one. If that guy was white no one would pay attention. To me it doesnt matter that he was black, if he was white black mexican he was resisting thats all that matters. So was the black sergeant being racist also? This was a matter of a person doesnt matter white back or whatever being arrested. I think people that make these type of situations a race issue are also part of the racism problem in the US.

Corey
12-10-2014, 03:59 PM
cmon he was swatting away their hands he was completely resisting.

Resisting arrest =/= getting killed.

I dont really care if he was swatting hands or squirming. I dont care that he's been arrested before. That doesn't mean he should die.

We have a legal process for a reason. There are plenty of non-lethal ways to detain a criminal without killing him.

The cops lives were not in danger. Non lethal force should have been used.

likemystylez
12-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Resisting arrest =/= getting killed.

I dont really care if he was swatting hands or squirming. I dont care that he's been arrested before. That doesn't mean he should die.

We have a legal process for a reason. There are plenty of non-lethal ways to detain a criminal without killing him.
The cops lives were not in danger. Non lethal force should have been used.

LOL thanks man- that quote just made my day. Good stuff

benny01
12-10-2014, 04:33 PM
cmon he was swatting away their hands he was completely resisting. As do white people my friend. Thats why i dont see this as a race issue and people are making it one. If that guy was white no one would pay attention. To me it doesnt matter that he was black, if he was white black mexican he was resisting thats all that matters. So was the black sergeant being racist also? This was a matter of a person doesnt matter white back or whatever being arrested. I think people that make these type of situations a race issue are also part of the racism problem in the US.
Your talking about two different things here as if they are one issue.
The first thing you bring up is a policing issue. excessive force, proper police protocal, what actually constitutes a threat etc..
The second thing has to do with justice. Many people, including some that I know in law enforcement, believe that there was excessive force in this case. No one was charged with anything, which is where the issues of race and equality come into play.

PurpleLynch
12-10-2014, 07:34 PM
If you want to get technical they were here first as Native Americans are of Asian decent. But yeah, they were a very important part of the development of the West in the 19th century. Though the other poster was referring to recent Asian immigrants.
I see your from Italy so fun joke time. If you call someone who speaks two languages bilingual, what do you call someone who speaks only one?

Monolingual?

michael jordan
12-10-2014, 09:11 PM
drick rose will tear his acl next week and wont return:cheers:

ohreally
12-10-2014, 10:24 PM

The question is where are you from and where you get your talking points? I grew up in New York, but what does that matter? Police politics as a whole???? What does that even mean? Are police politics supposed to make us all say, "oh, now I get it. The facts don't matter. The life doesn't matter. It's just police politics"?

benny01
12-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Monolingual?

American, sorry it's really lame joke

PurpleLynch
12-11-2014, 08:32 AM
American, sorry it's really lame joke

Ahaha sorry,I ruined the joke,but I didn't know it!