PDA

View Full Version : T'Wolves have the best young non-playoff core in the league. Disagree? Tell me why.

RLundi
12-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Disclaimer: I don't get to watch many games outside of the ones which are televised, so for this thread I admittedly have to rely on the Bo x score watching I've been doing all season.

That being said, every time I look at the Wolves, I come away am truly impressed with their core and direction. They are solid at every single position. Here's why I think they have the brightest future:

- It starts with Wiggins who is still raw but shows immense flashes of brilliance, on both ends.

- Zach LaVine's recent play is opening eyes and turning heads. I thought he'd bust to be honest but he's looking very strong in Rubio's absence. I knew he was athletic but his scoring and passing have been refreshing. He's gone off for a few 20 point games and has had a 20-10 points and assists game too. Not sure what the plan is with him and Rubio though. I'd get rid of the Spaniard and not pay him. Maybe Wolves fans can chime in on that one. Idk if he can start at the point. He still needs some polishing but I love his play early on.

- Shabazz Muhammad was my favorite player at the beginning of last year's draft and he's finally starting to show real promise. His efficiency looks good, he's currently at a +.560 TS % and he provides a nice scoring punch of the bench. He's exploded for 20 points 3 times in the last 5 games. Is the plan to eventually start him next to LaVine? That would seem to be an incredible backcourt over time.

- I love the tandem of Pekovic and Dieng. Dieng's per36 numbers are solid: 12 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists and a couple of blocks and steals. He's manned down the center position admirably in Pek's absence. The starting job still belongs to Pekovic but Dieng looks good with the second unit.

- Bennett is the wild card. Some games he'll go off for 20, just to completely disappear for the next 3 or 4 games. Some of that could be due to coaching and inconsistent minutes, really idk. But if he can provide a little stability at the 4, which I think he'll have to end up playing, he can fit in nicely next to the other 4 players. He's at least looked decent, and I guess I'm not ready to give up on a number one draft pick.

So what do you think? Do you agree? With apologies to the Bucks and Magic, who I also think have fantastic young cores, in that order, are the Wolves positioned the best to be an elite team in the future?

ghettosean
12-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Agree with everything said here... If they keep that core intact they will be contenders in 4-5 years.

Silent
12-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Yep have to agree the will be fun to watch in 3-4 years

nyyfan4life
12-07-2014, 10:44 AM
They have some really nice pieces. I don't know if Saunders is the right coach. Once their vets get healthy, they should try and sell some of them off and get more assets for the future. I like Dieng but a franchise type big man (some good center prospects in the upcoming draft) would help the rebuild quite nicely.

ghettosean
12-07-2014, 11:17 AM
They have some really nice pieces. I don't know if Saunders is the right coach. Once their vets get healthy, they should try and sell some of them off and get more assets for the future. I like Dieng but a franchise type big man (some good center prospects in the upcoming draft) would help the rebuild quite nicely. Agreed on the bolded!

North Yorker
12-07-2014, 11:25 AM
They have some really nice pieces. I don't know if Saunders is the right coach. Once their vets get healthy, they should try and sell some of them off and get more assets for the future. I like Dieng but a franchise type big man (some good center prospects in the upcoming draft) would help the rebuild quite nicely.

I think they would be the best fit for Okafor.

Rubio/Lavine
Shabazz
Wiggins
Okafor/Bennett
Dieng

is a pretty well-rounded collection of young talent.

BGeer091
12-07-2014, 11:30 AM
They have a very exciting core. I think keeping Rubio is a key though. If Dieng can develop into a defensive big who shuts down the paint then look out. If they got Okafor... then wow.

beasted86
12-07-2014, 11:34 AM
I'd rather the Magic core.

Payton, Olapido, T. Harris, Vucevic... these guys can legitimately grow into a playoff team with that core and they all fit together.

Wolves on the other hand seem to have a lot of redundancy between skill sets and no real position between Lavine, Wiggins, and Bennett, and just gave that stupid contract to Rubio. Like Rubio is PG, Lavine SG, Wiggins SF, Bennett PF? Yeah right... we all know that's not the core. That might be the players they have now, but nobody can see that being the locked in positions going forward. They have to make some moves. Lavine seems a natural fit at PG with the ball in his hands, if you turn him into a SG, he will probably regress from his decent start. He looks like he should be a Wade or Harden type that handles the ball, and you put a Chalmers/Beverley type next to him instead of a Rubio. Wiggins doesn't have the bulk to play the wing spot full time, Bennett is the definition of a tweener and you'll have problems with defense and rebounding with him at PF in the West. Dieng has been really solid, that said... I'm not sure he is a long term starter cog type piece. Seems fringe starter who the Wolves will probably over pay to keep.

Magic on the other hand seem to have clear definition of roles and future positioning. Payton is the future at the PG spot. Oladipo is the SG, Harris is the SF, Vucevic the Center. I'm not sure Gordon is a good fit at PF once he starts playing again, but you never know. Overall the Magic roster also seems to have some more defensive disposition while I'm not sure of the Wolves core outside Wiggins and Dieng.

If I was betting which team will be better in 2-3 years I'm picking the Magic.

jaydubb
12-07-2014, 11:38 AM
This is what I've been saying all the way back in pre season.. This team is gonna be extremely good when they start to mature.

2-ONE-5
12-07-2014, 11:39 AM
give me Philly and Orlando over Minny

jerellh528
12-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Beween them and philly imo

Kleonidas
12-07-2014, 11:50 AM
orlando's core is better and has more upside.

Giannis94
12-07-2014, 12:17 PM
The Bucks have two potential superstars on their team- none of the other teams above have more than 1 right now. While Henson hasn't lived up to his production of the first half of last year, he still has untapped upside.

Also Knight is one of the better defensive PG's in the league and that can't go unnoticed.

5ass
12-07-2014, 12:18 PM
I'd take the magic moving forward, but the wolves have a nice team. I like la vine, but not Wiggins. I dont think Wiggins will be elite. Dieng is solid, but nothing special. Not a fan of Bennet. Rubio looks like he'll always be an avg PG.

I might take Philly over the wolves too, but I need to see their core playing together first to see how the pieces fit because I don't think they do. I also don't trust noel's body. That being said, they can be the best out of the bunch eventually. Saric will be nice, McDaniels too.

Milwaukee I'd put right there with the magic.

The jazz are the only team I don't see having a very bright future. Basically, they're banking on Exum becoming a superstar.

WSU Tony
12-07-2014, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't say the wolves can "compete" in the future but they look like a few playoff appearances could happen. Compete is not the word I'd choose to use.

mngopher35
12-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Compared to other years of our youth being Wes johnson, Johnny Flynn, and dwill this is great!

Lavine is not really a point guard even though he has done a decent job with no mo or Rubio. The offense just doesn't run quite right and he misses some open guys. He also pulls up for contested jumpers every now and then without any movement. His potential is awesome though and I think he could be a starting two in a couple years with some experience and bulk. Maybe I'm wrong here but I think the plan is eventually for him to play two guard (more of a combo guard) and keep Rubio as our pg.

Shabazz has been awesome and like the op I was a fan of our trade back for him and dieng. I see him as a 6th many type of piece due to his defense but who knows, he took a big jump this off season so maybe more next year. His effort on the offensive glass is awesome and most teams have struggled with him down low lately.

Bennett I see as a bench piece as well but he has played better than last year and still has room to improve. I think the staff is working with him to get the basics of defense, moving the ball, setting screens etc still.

Wiggins has flashed but honestly some of these others guys have kind of outshined him. He needs to work on his handles but still expect big things.

Dieng is right now a borderline starting big but with room to keep improving IMO. He is a little weak at times but overall has a solid game with improving defense. I think we should definitely draft one of the good bigs in this draft if we can (okafor would be a dream come true). I honestly would try and trade pek instead of keeping the duo but not sure there would be tons of interest due to his salary and time missed each year.

As others have mentioned flip as coach shouldn't be the future. I am ok with him for now as they teach the young guys how to play and develop them etc. but I believe the idea is that a decent coach might be more willing to come here in the off season with this potential. Overall we finally have a core to really get excited about for the future.

beasted86
12-07-2014, 12:45 PM
The Bucks have two potential superstars on their team- none of the other teams above have more than 1 right now. While Henson hasn't lived up to his production of the first half of last year, he still has untapped upside.

Also Knight is one of the better defensive PG's in the league and that can't go unnoticed.

I read this post like 3 times, looked at the roster list to remind myself again (even though we just got whooped by you) and can't figure out who you are talking about.

Giannis and Parker superstars? Maybe an extremely loose interpretation of what a superstar is. Like one where Big Dog or Ray Allen (paying homage by using two former Bucks as examples) were superstars also... that type of loose interpretation.

mngopher35
12-07-2014, 12:52 PM
I read this post like 3 times, looked at the roster list to remind myself again (even though we just got whooped by you) and can't figure out who you are talking about.

Giannis and Parker superstars? Maybe an extremely loose interpretation of what a superstar is. Like one where Big Dog or Ray Allen (paying homage by using two former Bucks as examples) were superstars also... that type of loose interpretation.

I am pretty sure he means Giannis but agree with you here. Right now I find it extremely hard to say he will be one or even that he is guaranteed to be better than say lavine (both are teenagers).

Thorpe did a sophomore ranking the other day and had Giannis at 2nd, right in between dieng (1st) and shabazz (3rd)Now I'm not saying we have more potential or these guys are certain to be better but I just don't agree with his statement right now.

dhopisthename
12-07-2014, 01:21 PM
I think the pelicans because Anthony Davis is just way better then anyone else not making the playoffs. The rest of the roster isn't that great/sucks which makes them a non playoff team, but I think most teams would trade their core for davis in a heartbeat.

xxplayerxx23
12-07-2014, 01:27 PM
I like lavine better then rubio already lol

Aleksandar
12-07-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm hoping we get a good (young) coach next season.

Flip did some nice things as the GM:
-Love trade
-Dieng and Shabazz draft
-Lavine draft

5ass
12-07-2014, 02:10 PM
I think the pelicans because Anthony Davis is just way better then anyone else not making the playoffs. The rest of the roster isn't that great/sucks which makes them a non playoff team, but I think most teams would trade their core for davis in a heartbeat.

How many great moves have the pelicans done? Drafting Davis was an obvious choice. Anderson was a good signing, asik was an obvious move. They shouldn't have traded for holiday, they shouldn't have resigned Gordon. Tyreke is meh. They have a hole at sf. They shouldn't have drafted rivers. They could've been competing right now, but they made bad moves. Their pieces don't compliment each other well. They could've been much much better.

benny01
12-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Like any other small market team, the guys who are legitimately good when they mature will leave to a bigger market and the cycle will continue. Not to knock the Twin Cities, I would move there in a heartbeat, but for the most part NBA guy's don't want to live there. The second tier guys will get more than they are worth to keep(see Rubio)and the futility will continue. Sorry t-wolve fans, the NBA kinda screwed ya.

Hotone1401
12-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Meh, the only one who has impressed me is Lavine. They'll be okay but they do need to make quite a bit of changes going forward. I think some of you guys are assuming Wiggins will blossom into a superstar. I just don't see it. The kid is very fundamentally flawed in his handle and footwork so it's going to take a lot of work. I see Wiggins developing more into the Iggy type player with a chance to hopefully be a slightly better defender someday

GodsSon
12-07-2014, 04:19 PM

I'd go with the Pelicans as well.

ghettosean
12-07-2014, 05:36 PM

When talking about the core of a team I doubt you'll say the samething when this squad has the same amount of time in the league as AD and his core. Not saying that AD isn't a top 5 player in the league I'm just saying when speaking about the core of both teams I'll still stick with the Wolves because all there young guys have so much potential.

dhopisthename
12-08-2014, 02:50 AM
When talking about the core of a team I doubt you'll say the samething when this squad has the same amount of time in the league as AD and his core. Not saying that AD isn't a top 5 player in the league I'm just saying when speaking about the core of both teams I'll still stick with the Wolves because all there young guys have so much potential.

How often does the potential every come to fruition? wiggins has a per of 8.5 right now. lavine has a per of 10.5. anthony davis had a per of 21 his first year(at 19 just as raw as wiggins) and averaged 16/10/2 in his first 5 games. I mean could wiggins and lavine turn into pippen and whoever? sure, but the chances aren't high, but the chance that both happen is slim while the chance that anthony davis is great is really high the only thing that could stop him would be injuries.

dhopisthename
12-08-2014, 02:56 AM
How many great moves have the pelicans done? Drafting Davis was an obvious choice. Anderson was a good signing, asik was an obvious move. They shouldn't have traded for holiday, they shouldn't have resigned Gordon. Tyreke is meh. They have a hole at sf. They shouldn't have drafted rivers. They could've been competing right now, but they made bad moves. Their pieces don't compliment each other well. They could've been much much better.

the pelicans are not run by the best people, but still you telling the twolves wouldn't trade wiggins/lavine/and another piece for davis? the pelicans would laugh them off the phone.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-08-2014, 04:09 AM
C-Okafor
PF-Bennett
SF-Wiggins
SG-Lavine
PG-Rubio

tmacsc2
12-08-2014, 04:21 AM
love, love, like jizz love for Wiggins. haha

RLundi
12-08-2014, 10:36 AM
I'd rather the Magic core.

Payton, Olapido, T. Harris, Vucevic... these guys can legitimately grow into a playoff team with that core and they all fit together.

Wolves on the other hand seem to have a lot of redundancy between skill sets and no real position between Lavine, Wiggins, and Bennett, and just gave that stupid contract to Rubio. Like Rubio is PG, Lavine SG, Wiggins SF, Bennett PF? Yeah right... we all know that's not the core. That might be the players they have now, but nobody can see that being the locked in positions going forward. They have to make some moves. Lavine seems a natural fit at PG with the ball in his hands, if you turn him into a SG, he will probably regress from his decent start. He looks like he should be a Wade or Harden type that handles the ball, and you put a Chalmers/Beverley type next to him instead of a Rubio. Wiggins doesn't have the bulk to play the wing spot full time, Bennett is the definition of a tweener and you'll have problems with defense and rebounding with him at PF in the West. Dieng has been really solid, that said... I'm not sure he is a long term starter cog type piece. Seems fringe starter who the Wolves will probably over pay to keep.

Magic on the other hand seem to have clear definition of roles and future positioning. Payton is the future at the PG spot. Oladipo is the SG, Harris is the SF, Vucevic the Center. I'm not sure Gordon is a good fit at PF once he starts playing again, but you never know. Overall the Magic roster also seems to have some more defensive disposition while I'm not sure of the Wolves core outside Wiggins and Dieng.

If I was betting which team will be better in 2-3 years I'm picking the Magic.

I think Orlando will be the better team by virtue of conference. They'll be in the east so I think they will rise to success quicker but I still would choose the Wolves' core over the Magic's, pretty easily too. I watch the Magic daily, and you're incorrect about Oladipo being locked into the SG spot. The team has been experimenting with him at the point for 2 seasons and there is a love affair with Fournier at the 2. Between Dipo, Fournier, Payton and Harkless, there is a glut and a bit of uncertainty at the 1 and 2 positions. The same problems that plague Minnesota plague Orlando.

Here's the difference: I truly think Wiggins and LaVine have superstar potential. I love the Magic's pieces but Vucevic and Harris will not be superstars. I still have hope Oladipo will but the core of Minnesota has a higher ceiling I think.

Defensively, I agree with you. Payton will be on all-defensive teams and the Magic are solid defensively already for such a young team. Mix in Gordon and the Magic have the opportunity to be an elite defensive team.

WSU Tony
12-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Like any other small market team, the guys who are legitimately good when they mature will leave to a bigger market and the cycle will continue. Not to knock the Twin Cities, I would move there in a heartbeat, but for the most part NBA guy's don't want to live there. The second tier guys will get more than they are worth to keep(see Rubio)and the futility will continue. Sorry t-wolve fans, the NBA kinda screwed ya.

Pretty much....

JustinTime
12-08-2014, 12:38 PM
disagree Wiggins has looked worse than Anthony Bennett last year recently. 3/13 fg games are the norm with him, I know it'll improve but he's looked awful for a #1 pick. If I were a gambling man I'd wage more on Bennett's success in the NBA than Wiggins because he's hungry and already very skilled whereas Wiggins is not.

albertajaysfan
12-08-2014, 12:43 PM
the pelicans are not run by the best people, but still you telling the twolves wouldn't trade wiggins/lavine/and another piece for davis? the pelicans would laugh them off the phone.

Davis is great. But that is the reason the Pelicans won't be. Sounds crazy I know but hear me out.

He makes them too good to get other top picks to add to their core. Plus they keep making stupid decisions as has been mentioned. While one player can have a huge impact in this league he can't win on his own. Until New Orleans find some pieces that actually fit together I do not believe for a second they are on the track to being anything more then the Kevin Garnett led T-Wolves.

PurpleJesus
12-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Rubio needs to stay healthy. Whatever you want to say about Rubio, he makes the team go. Rubio might not be a star, and may never be one, but he is the most important player on that team right now, and will remain that way until Wiggins breaks out.

PurpleJesus
12-08-2014, 12:58 PM
dp

JustinTime
12-08-2014, 01:03 PM
get over Bennett, he has been pretty bad this year.

He's been a lot better than Wiggins especially considering his limited time. Bennett was awful last year because he had a bunch of health issues, Wiggins has no excuses for his awful play and shooting. Wiggins is shooting under 34% from the field in his last 11 games and hasn't been over 50% in any of them he's hurting the Wolves right now.

PurpleJesus
12-08-2014, 01:04 PM
He's been a lot better than Wiggins especially considering his limited time. Bennett was awful last year because he had a bunch of health issues, Wiggins has no excuses for his awful play and shooting.

Bennett lead the league in excuses last year. What are his excuses this year?

JustinTime
12-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Bennett lead the league in excuses last year. What are his excuses this year?

He doesn't need excuses he's been playing really well his PER is nearly 15 which is almost double Wiggins and he still hasn't played 82 games as a pro.

Chronz
12-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Meh, the only one who has impressed me is Lavine. They'll be okay but they do need to make quite a bit of changes going forward. I think some of you guys are assuming Wiggins will blossom into a superstar. I just don't see it. The kid is very fundamentally flawed in his handle and footwork so it's going to take a lot of work. I see Wiggins developing more into the Iggy type player with a chance to hopefully be a slightly better defender someday

Better defender than iggy?

I don't see the offensive comparison either. Like that's just an awful comp all around

JustinTime
12-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Better defender than iggy?

I don't see the offensive comparison either. Like that's just an awful comp all around

Wiggins isn't even a good defender yet. Sure, he guards the best guys but he gets killed by almost all of them. He doesn't have the IQ to be great at offense or defense.

dhopisthename
12-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Davis is great. But that is the reason the Pelicans won't be. Sounds crazy I know but hear me out.

He makes them too good to get other top picks to add to their core. Plus they keep making stupid decisions as has been mentioned. While one player can have a huge impact in this league he can't win on his own. Until New Orleans find some pieces that actually fit together I do not believe for a second they are on the track to being anything more then the Kevin Garnett led T-Wolves.

I think most would still take having a guy who has a 33 per over a couple of huge question marks.

D-Leethal
12-08-2014, 01:37 PM
I like the Wolves collection of talent but it seems to me Orlando is building an actual team with great balance, inside-out scoring punch and combination of D and O. Wolves seem to be stockpiling players now and figuring out who fits where later. Orlando seems to already fit - just needs to grow.

MonroeFAN
12-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Oddly enough I see the exact opposite. A team full of players who can't shoot, backed by an organization that has no idea how to win. I would much rather be Orlando, Utah, or even OKC with Adams Mcgary lamb and Jackson. Honestly, give me Drummond, Pope and whomever we land next year in the draft (slightly homerlike comment).

It's the same thing we heard with Love, Rubio, Flynn & Williams.

RLundi
12-08-2014, 09:05 PM
disagree Wiggins has looked worse than Anthony Bennett last year recently. 3/13 fg games are the norm with him, I know it'll improve but he's looked awful for a #1 pick. If I were a gambling man I'd wage more on Bennett's success in the NBA than Wiggins because he's hungry and already very skilled whereas Wiggins is not.

Totally disagree with you on literally every single point.

JustinTime
12-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Totally disagree with you on literally every single point.

I'm sure Wiggins will be alright in the end but I'm hating on him until he proves himself because I really can't stand his lazy attitude and he seems like one of those guys that needs to be embarrassed to get the most out of him.

Tony_Starks
12-09-2014, 03:15 AM
Rlundi you gotta get league pass my man. Lavine is a absolute beast!!! I watch Wolves games just for him.

Wiggins is the same guy he was in college unfortunately. Overhyped and too cool for school....

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Disclaimer: I don't get to watch many games outside of the ones which are televised, so for this thread I admittedly have to rely on the Bo x score watching I've been doing all season.

That being said, every time I look at the Wolves, I come away am truly impressed with their core and direction. They are solid at every single position. Here's why I think they have the brightest future:

- It starts with Wiggins who is still raw but shows immense flashes of brilliance, on both ends.

- Zach LaVine's recent play is opening eyes and turning heads. I thought he'd bust to be honest but he's looking very strong in Rubio's absence. I knew he was athletic but his scoring and passing have been refreshing. He's gone off for a few 20 point games and has had a 20-10 points and assists game too. Not sure what the plan is with him and Rubio though. I'd get rid of the Spaniard and not pay him. Maybe Wolves fans can chime in on that one. Idk if he can start at the point. He still needs some polishing but I love his play early on.

- Shabazz Muhammad was my favorite player at the beginning of last year's draft and he's finally starting to show real promise. His efficiency looks good, he's currently at a +.560 TS % and he provides a nice scoring punch of the bench. He's exploded for 20 points 3 times in the last 5 games. Is the plan to eventually start him next to LaVine? That would seem to be an incredible backcourt over time.

- I love the tandem of Pekovic and Dieng. Dieng's per36 numbers are solid: 12 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists and a couple of blocks and steals. He's manned down the center position admirably in Pek's absence. The starting job still belongs to Pekovic but Dieng looks good with the second unit.

- Bennett is the wild card. Some games he'll go off for 20, just to completely disappear for the next 3 or 4 games. Some of that could be due to coaching and inconsistent minutes, really idk. But if he can provide a little stability at the 4, which I think he'll have to end up playing, he can fit in nicely next to the other 4 players. He's at least looked decent, and I guess I'm not ready to give up on a number one draft pick.

So what do you think? Do you agree? With apologies to the Bucks and Magic, who I also think have fantastic young cores, in that order, are the Wolves positioned the best to be an elite team in the future? Apology accepted since Bucks are excluded from thread title since we are playoffs.:clap:

crewfan13
12-09-2014, 10:44 AM
I am pretty sure he means Giannis but agree with you here. Right now I find it extremely hard to say he will be one or even that he is guaranteed to be better than say lavine (both are teenagers).

Thorpe did a sophomore ranking the other day and had Giannis at 2nd, right in between dieng (1st) and shabazz (3rd)Now I'm not saying we have more potential or these guys are certain to be better but I just don't agree with his statement right now.

This whole thread is projection based, projections on who has the best young core ect. Yet that's the one statement you don't agree with. I agree, Giannis and Parker aren't superstars right now. There's a chance they never will be, but there's a chance that every single person mentioned in this thread outside of Davis will or won't be.

Giannis does things every game that very few guys in the NBA can do. His shooting isn't incredibly strong right now. Defenses play way off him, yet he still gets to the hoop almost at will. He has the length and quickness to guard almost every position, although he'll need to get stronger to guard big 4's consistently.

I get you guys are excited about your core, and so are we. I'm not sure if we qualify for the OP, since we are technically sitting in a playoff position this season, but I'd take our core over Minn for sure, and probably over just about anyone in the league.

But I don't think how well an organization is run really matters for the best young core does it? Isn't the whole point of the thread to determine best young core, and like others have said, Minn would be foolish not to trade Wiggins, Lavine, Shabazz and Bennett all for Davis. He's having the best season in the league and is already a top 5 player.

Rlundi you gotta get league pass my man. Lavine is a absolute beast!!! I watch Wolves games just for him.

Wiggins is the same guy he was in college unfortunately. Overhyped and too cool for school....

I dont' have league pass either, so I haven't watched a ton of Lavine. Maybe his stats don't do him justice, but everything I look at doesnt' scream beast at all. Maybe he's improved as the season has gone along, but judging by his ORtg and DRtg compared to the team, the Wolves are worse both offensively and defensively (and be a decent margin, especially on offense) with Lavine on the floor. None of this underlying stats really look all that impressive either. I know he's young, and Giannis was in a similar boat last season. Stats don't tell the whole story, but from the impression I've gotten here, Lavine is practically a shoo-in for multiple league MVPs down the line.

My thought on the Wolves young core is that I don't really love it. Its nothing against the Wolvers, seeing as they've been similar to the Bucks for many year, it'd be nice to see a geographically close small market succeed. Maybe its also biased because a lot of the guys they have are guys who I was down on during the whole draft process (Bazz, Lavine and Wiggins). I just don't see an elite young core there. I see a potentially nice team, I just don't think any of those guys really have elite upside. I think a realistic best case scenario for this team (unless they get a stud this coming draft) is the Joe Johnson/Josh Smith Atlanta teams that were a nice collection of 2nd and 3rd tier borderline all star types that would consistently finish in the top half of the East, but never really were a real threat.

mngopher35
12-09-2014, 01:28 PM
This whole thread is projection based, projections on who has the best young core ect. Yet that's the one statement you don't agree with. I agree, Giannis and Parker aren't superstars right now. There's a chance they never will be, but there's a chance that every single person mentioned in this thread outside of Davis will or won't be.

Giannis does things every game that very few guys in the NBA can do. His shooting isn't incredibly strong right now. Defenses play way off him, yet he still gets to the hoop almost at will. He has the length and quickness to guard almost every position, although he'll need to get stronger to guard big 4's consistently.

I get you guys are excited about your core, and so are we. I'm not sure if we qualify for the OP, since we are technically sitting in a playoff position this season, but I'd take our core over Minn for sure, and probably over just about anyone in the league.

Yes, because you said that your team is the only one with 2 potential superstars. I get that you are excited about your team but if Giannis is being considered a potential superstar then that definition is extremely broad and would encompass multiple young players imo. Like I said in Thorpe's ratings he squeezed him in between two of our sophomores and that isn't including Lavine or Wiggins. I am not saying he won't make it to that level but there is other young talent in the league too with potential so it just seemed odd to me. This doesn't just have to do with the Twolves only I meant that other teams have good young pieces who have potential and can develop too (Payton, Oladipo, Vucevic, Gordon etc.).

I just don't think you can say Bucks are the ONLY team with two POTENTIAL superstars, especially if Giannis is the level we are holding a superstar to. He has great defense and plays within himself on offense but we have no idea if he will ever develop a shot which means he may never end up as anything more than a really good role player and he currently doesn't attract the focus of defenses either. Yes he has potential to be great but so do a lot of these other young guys so to say your team is the only one with two potential guys sounds homerish. That is what I disagreed with your comment, I just don't think he is the only one with the potential to be great.

2-ONE-5
12-09-2014, 02:25 PM
yea if Giannis is considered to have superstar potential then so does MCW who has performed light years better so far

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Giannis is down right stud muffin. He's MR. Walking Highlight Reel every game. Only reason his jumper is worse this year from last season is his growth spurt that other teams posters forget to add in to calculations. He grew 2" this summer and is now 6'11" and also gained like 25 pounds of muscle working out over the summer. When his jumper is back no one will mess with him. Even though i'm not worried about his jump shot. It will comeback. He only needs two steps from three point line to get to the hoop for finger roll. Anthony Davis is only other young core I like even though rest of that team really isn't young. But they could be scratching for playoffs in the tough west.

2-ONE-5
12-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Giannis ceiling is Batum