PDA

View Full Version : Is Detroit in a favorable rebuilding environment?

Vampirate
12-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Note I said rebuilding environment not winning environment.

In the long run is what is happening with the Pistons the best case scenario?

Drummond is learning the game with the Centre but is very raw.

Smith is being Josh Smith.

They have a proven coach who probably has a plan on who to draft to his ideal.

With the personnel they should be losing badly for a couple of years keeping collecting those top picks.

Meanwhile Drummond now will have to go through the growing pains however when the rebuild is complete, they should have a top centre depending how he develops.

Winning now and being in mediocrity would probably be a bad thing.

JV35
12-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Note I said rebuilding environment not winning environment.

In the long run is what is happening with the Pistons the best case scenario?

Drummond is learning the game with the Centre but is very raw.

Smith is being Josh Smith.

They have a proven coach who probably has a plan on who to draft to his ideal.

With the personnel they should be losing badly for a couple of years keeping collecting those top picks.

Meanwhile Drummond now will have to go through the growing pains however when the rebuild is complete, they should have a top centre depending how he develops.

Winning now and being in mediocrity would probably be a bad thing.

Well, it's obviously better to miss the playoffs altogether--than to get bounced in the first round as an 8-seed.

And, if they're going to miss the playoffs (they might as well finish last).

So, at this point, if they feel the playoffs are out of the question--they are better off tanking and racing Philly to the bottom.

abe_froman
12-05-2014, 06:34 PM
nope.they have way too many "win now" pieces,who frankly suck(jennings,smith,ect.),they should be traded off for whatever youth/picks they could cobble together,they have missed on way too many recent drafts,and drummond is the only high upside young guy they have and he's regressed.

stan and bower have their work cut out for them cleaning up dumars mess

beasted86
12-05-2014, 08:32 PM
They aren't in a favorable position since none of their pieces can fetch any good draft picks in trades to help rebuild around Drummond. Jennings is below average and won't get more than a 2nd round pick. Josh Smith regressed badly and his contract is ugly. No way to flip that for picks or salary dump. Monroe has veto power on all trades, limiting what they can get in return for him. Caldwell-Pope has not been good at all, and is not someone you can bank on long term to say "him and Drummond will be our starters going forward, we are set at the SG". The Meeks contract is an overpay in the context of a rebuild... it only makes sense if you are in win now and you think he's a piece that can help. If they turn tail on winning this year, it will be difficult to move him for anything more than a salary dump, because you're not getting picks for him.

The only thing favorable is Drummond and SVG to build from the ground up. But that said, I kind of doubt SVG as president if he thought he could have tweaked what they had to win. It was clearly way overzealous and a lack of true direction.

PurpleLynch
12-05-2014, 09:05 PM
It could be. They should just trade everyone and keep just Drummond and KCP. They could get good picks and also some players to start something.

IndyRealist
12-05-2014, 09:14 PM
It could be. They should just trade everyone and keep just Drummond and KCP. They could get good picks and also some players to start something.

They really can't. All of their pieces either have contracts substantially larger than their production, or are just really subpar role players. The only exception not mentioned is Greg Monroe, and he effectively has a no-trade clause because he's playing on a qualifying offer.

JasonJohnHorn
12-05-2014, 09:40 PM
With the personal they have, coupled with the fact that they are in the east, they SHOULD be winning now.

With Monroe and Drummond in the paint, and Smith at SF/PF, they should be eating up every rebound. They got Butler and Singler knocking down threes to spread the floor... a couple of point guards that can score....and they are in a division with the Bucks and the Pacers, the latter of which has over twice as man wins despite being without losing Granger, George and Stephenson. I mean, the Pacers have an AWFUL roster outside of West and Hibbert... and they STILL have TWICE as many wins as Detroit.

I Detroit only has two more wins than Philly...

There is nothing about SVG and the new ownership that has led me to believe that this team is ripe for anything except more losing.

Seizabmc
12-05-2014, 10:28 PM
What did I tell you?
They try at the end but always just give the game away!!!!!

On purpose.
Seriously look at that bad possession by melo to go up by 3.
And then they just let Kemba go to the basket!!!!!

We want to lose!!!

And if you can't see that by now than there's something wrong with you.

Seizabmc
12-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Sorry guys wrong thread.

KnickNyKnick
12-05-2014, 10:40 PM
rofl

Miltstar
12-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Detroit is a horrible city, don't know how they even have a team in that ghost town

GunFactor187
12-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Detroit is a horrible city, don't know how they even have a team in that ghost town

First of all, the Pistons don't play IN the city of Detroit, they're like 40-45 minutes away from the actual city in a city named Auburn Hills. Second, Downtown Detroit is the nicest part of that area, it's actually a great place for young professionals and enterprise. It's the neighborhoods in Detroit that are full of blight.

Miltstar
12-05-2014, 11:53 PM
First of all, the Pistons don't play IN the city of Detroit, they're like 40-45 minutes away from the actual city in a city named Auburn Hills. Second, Downtown Detroit is the nicest part of that area, it's actually a great place for young professionals and enterprise. It's the neighborhoods in Detroit that are full of blight.

This coming from a guy with the name "GunFactor187"

Verbal Christ
12-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Unless Detroit is your hometown why would any young, rich male want to willingly live and work there for half the year if the money is equal elsewhere?

IndyRealist
12-06-2014, 01:14 AM
Unless Detroit is your hometown why would any young, rich male want to willingly live and work there for half the year if the money is equal elsewhere?

Cost of living is in the tank in Detroit. You can buy a whole block for what you'd pay for a condo in San Francisco.

PurpleLynch
12-06-2014, 07:48 AM
They really can't. All of their pieces either have contracts substantially larger than their production, or are just really subpar role players. The only exception not mentioned is Greg Monroe, and he effectively has a no-trade clause because he's playing on a qualifying offer.

Yes,you are right. They should have a mastermind like Masai Ujiri to pull that off.

2-ONE-5
12-06-2014, 10:55 AM
lol this is great. The Pistons who are trying to win can be viewed as having a rebuilding culture but the Sixers who are actually rebuilding (and havent blown theirs like DET has) is constantly said to be creating a losing culture. All while they are 2 games a part.

Vampirate
12-06-2014, 11:01 AM
lol this is great. The Pistons who are trying to win can be viewed as having a rebuilding culture but the Sixers who are actually rebuilding (and havent blown theirs like DET has) is constantly said to be creating a losing culture. All while they are 2 games a part.

I would argue that Detroit has more of a losing culture considering the rosters. In all honesty it's probably better that the wheels fall off for Detroit than have a couple of players actually sort of live up to their billing putting the Pistons in no mans land.

2-ONE-5
12-06-2014, 11:07 AM
no ****. they had a good, solid rebuild started with KCP, Monroe, Drummond and blew it. But every week on here there is a thread bashing the Sixers for blowing up a mediocre to bad team and starting over with top picks and cap space. People are even saying the same stuff in one of the Knicks threads now. I dont get how these people cant use the same exact logic, understanding and reasoning when it comes to the Sixers instead of talking out of their *****. Whoever is in that Piston FO needs to be fired like yesterday bcuz they are gonna be in the basement for a while now. I loved the direction and players they had before adding Jennings and Smith and it seems like their FO is the only ones who didnt see this coming

MonroeFAN
12-06-2014, 11:09 AM
nope.they have way too many "win now" pieces,who frankly suck(jennings,smith,ect.),they should be traded off for whatever youth/picks they could cobble together,they have missed on way too many recent drafts,and drummond is the only high upside young guy they have and he's regressed.

stan and bower have their work cut out for them cleaning up dumars mess

Drummond had 27 & 14 the other night with 4 steals and 5 blocks. He has not regressed. He's being asked to learn a new system and there were some growing pains. But he's been playing as well as ever lately for the most part.

MonroeFAN
12-06-2014, 11:12 AM
The Pistons front office was hired like yesterday.(20 some odd games ago).

How can someone have such a strong opinion of something and not know basic stuff like that?

2-ONE-5
12-06-2014, 11:54 AM
thats my bad, didnt know that. thats a plus at least that they dumped the FO who signed Smith and Jennings

Miltstar
12-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Cost of living is in the tank in Detroit. You can buy a whole block for what you'd pay for a condo in San Francisco.

but you probably lose like 20-30 years off your life expectancy

Munkeysuit
12-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Detroit is a perfect rebuilding environment, the entire city shares that same struggle unfortunately. I think Drummond and SVG are perfect pieces to build around thus far.

Howard_Zinn
12-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Mudiay would look good in the red, white, and blue.

Cal827
12-07-2014, 11:53 PM
They need to catch a team, reallly, reallly desperate and deal out their expensive players lol

Blink
12-08-2014, 12:23 AM
Pretty much unload Smith and we will be much better. Nobody really expensive locked up long term. Aside from Smith.

Monroe will be walking away from us so if we can sell him to a contender as a 1 year rental I'm sure someone will give up a young asset or pick.

So going forward with KCP & Dre as the future and our pick which looks like it will be a top 5 pick atleast.

Cleaning out Dumars mess will take sometime but I trust SVG. But it all begins with unloading Smith.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-08-2014, 01:21 AM
Not right now. Drummond should be an absolute star right now but he's being hindered by chuckers all around him.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-08-2014, 01:24 AM

I honestly like to street view different cities from time to time and when I did random spots in Detroit, I always saw depressing neighbourhoods.

MonroeFAN
12-08-2014, 06:29 AM
There's also Bloomfield hills which is significantly nicer than pretty much any city in everyone of these commenters states.

Do we really need to debate this again?

GonRoo
12-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Just because this generation of NBA players wants to play in nice weather and wear costumes during press conferences, doesn't mean Detroit isn't a good rebuild environment.

It's okay, it has always been Detroit VS. Everybody. Either you get on the wagon now or risk losing your seat later on.

kduce
12-08-2014, 05:35 PM
The Detroit jokes... SMH. So clever. No one has EVER made them before, wow I am going to have to write these down you guys are hilarious.

I hate to break it to the world, but every single state has their cities that are **** and crime ridden just like Detroit. The difference is Detroit had a riot that caused everything else to fall apart and then when it was trying to rebound the auto industry went to ****. We are back to rebounding... some of these other people who poke fun at Detroit live in cities just as bad and half the size of The D and have no reasonable explanation for why they are such pieces of **** places to live.

Glass houses people, glass houses.

MonroeFAN
12-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Most of these members probably live in their parents basement.

It's really quite sad that this is allowed to go on here. I don't even live in Michigan anymore, but when I did it was enjoyable. There are so many beautiful parts of that state, and so many unique offerings, especially around metro Detroit. It also doesn't seem poor at all. As I mentioned earlier, Bloomfield, Birmingham, Rochester, Huntington Woods, Grosse Point are all really nice areas.

But what's even funnier is that I'm guessing a lot of members here bad mouthing Detroit would lose their jobs if it weren't around. Foolish ignorant people.

kduce
12-08-2014, 06:12 PM

It's really quite sad that this is allowed to go on here. I don't even live in Michigan anymore, but when I did it was enjoyable. There are so many beautiful parts of that state, and so many unique offerings, especially around metro Detroit. It also doesn't seem poor at all. As I mentioned earlier, Bloomfield, Birmingham, Rochester, Huntington Woods, Grosse Point are all really nice areas.

But what's even funnier is that I'm guessing a lot of members here bad mouthing Detroit would lose their jobs if it weren't around. Foolish ignorant people.

Exaaaaactly.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-08-2014, 08:53 PM

Lol talk bad about a city and resort to insulting people. Nice.

MonroeFAN
12-09-2014, 10:29 AM
At what point did I talk bad about a city? Are you trying to say that I am setting a double standard by insulting members for insulting a city I once called home? If sense is what you are trying to make here, I would suggest you try again.

Yes, most people who bad mouth a city that is within their "United" states are either an R-**** or a little kid who doesn't recognize the struggle that is every day life. For what it's worth, I don't bundle you into that group and didn't have you in mind when I made the comment. What you said wasn't inaccurate. The city of Detroit's suburbs are in the trash. Metro Detroit's suburbs are some of the nicest in the country due to the money from the auto industry executives and the downtown area is coming together.

2-ONE-5
12-09-2014, 10:45 AM
thats nice and all but none of that is bringing in top FA's nor is it heping the rebuild that should be coming. I know very little about Detroit and MI all together but its not really relevant to the discussion. ****** city, beautfiul city its doesnt matter in the end bcuz players will go where they can win/play with other stars. Do you really think Kevin Love wants to live in Cleveland? Look at the two biggest markets/franchises in the league they are both embarssements the last 2 years.

MonroeFAN
12-09-2014, 11:14 AM
I don't disagree with that at all.

I don't really want to live there either (weather). I'm just defending Detroit against the usual nonsense.

albertajaysfan
12-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Let's try and get this back on topic.

As much as it would great for Detroit to be able to move Smith they might as well hang on to him. At this point he helps them get top picks. I mean name one team that would be willing to take him?

I do however think they should try and sell high on Jennings. Although again I can't think of a single team that he makes any sense for.

Shammyguy3
12-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Kinda hard to sell high on Jennings when he's been virtually identical with no improvement to his game since he came into the league (he has a higher assist rate but that's about it)

JEDean89
12-09-2014, 10:36 PM
They are team I would expect would want Mudiay or Johnson in the draft. Mudiay and KCP could form a future elite backcourt and johnson could fit in beautifully. They should try and sign and trade Monroe to a team like Celtics for Rondo.

slashsnake
12-10-2014, 04:38 AM
It's tough. People say the glass houses, but when you are the worst, there's not a lot of glass you can throw at.

They are the biggest city to go bankrupt, the most violent one by far (all top 3 most violent neighborhoods in the US, where you run 1 in 7 chance EVERY YEAR to be a victim of a violent crime there), they have the highest unemployment rate, the highest murder rate, the highest violent crime rate, the lowest graduation rate, the lowest testing rate for students, the worst crime solving rate, the worst utilities, one of the coldest cities, the highest housing value drop, the most abandoned buildings...

I had a lot of buddies from Detroit in the service, and some wore that like a medal. Like it was Detroit vs. the rest of the US in a war. Like they were fighting a battle just trying to stay alive there. NYC is 12 times the size of detroit yet both had 333 murders last year. That's rebound?

It isn't picking on you. If I was an NBA free agent looking for where to move my wife and kids for the next 5 years... The only place in the US where the leading cause of death among children 1-18 is HOMICIDE, and the most likely city I could go to where my wife would get raped or killed... isn't going to be on the top of my list. Even if MAYBE in 5-10 years we won't be the worst city in the US. That's a hard sell there for me.

It isn't making fun of it, or joking, just fact. If Mayor Hancock in Denver had a press conference saying "I have a plan for Denver, lets bulldoze 1/4 of the city and move everyone into the same area, so we can give you police, fire departments, ambulances, running water and heat and things you'd expect if you didn't live in a 3rd world country... oh and by the way we are selling off our city art museum to try and pay some of our bills".... I'd be the first one up there saying "I love this town, but wow it's a shi##y city".

Now if the stars are there, or they offer a lot more money... well then we are back talking...

But when the best defense you hear is "hey this area here is pretty blight free" or "if you stick to this neighborhood", or "now that the riots are over" does that really sound like a good sell?