PDA

View Full Version : Would OKC missing the playoffs be the catalyst for Playoff reform?

Kaner
12-04-2014, 04:41 PM
The past couple years with all the good teams out west people have been clamoring for a change from the west/east playoff system and instead the best 16 teams should make it. But, a pretty regular counter argument is that the teams that are missing the playoffs aren't real threats. For instance last season Phoenix missed the playoffs with 48 wins, very impressive, but nobody really thought they stood a chance in the playoffs. But if OKC a regular contender and one of the most popular teams in the nba misses the playoffs this season with ~45-50 wins do you think that would/should get the NBA to reconsider the current playoff system?

goingfor28
12-04-2014, 04:42 PM
If all the losers in the East making it last year didn't do it, then OKC missing certainly won't.
The West is deeeeeeeep

Hawkeye15
12-04-2014, 04:48 PM
when a 60 win contending Spurs team got hit with injuries in the mid 90's, and it led to them landing the #1 pick in the draft (Timmy), they didn't change the lottery system. So why would they bend because OKC missed the playoffs with injuries? Or at least, they shouldn't. Injuries happen. The east sucks. The sky is blue. What else is new?

%%%%
12-04-2014, 04:48 PM
What other format do you suggest they use?

Goose17
12-04-2014, 04:52 PM
I hope they change the format but I hope this isn't the reason they do it. Phoenix missed out last year with probably more games than OKC will win this year. But because OKC have a star they're special? Nah.

TrueFan420
12-04-2014, 04:52 PM
No it won't change it. OKC got hit with injuries and in this west that can/will be the difference.

benny01
12-04-2014, 05:05 PM
If you went to the top 16 the parity would only get worse. You would end up with 10 big market teams that go every year and 10 small market teams that would never make it to the playoffs. I get that it feels that way at this point, but it would get far worse.
I would suggest for parity reasons that they change the system the other way and give division champs automatic births with wild cards.

beasted86
12-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Injuries happen. I don't see how this changes anything. Whether it's the West consistently on top now or the East on top 12 years from now... it doesn't change travel costs, time zones, and TV scheduling. Traveling from Miami to Portland or New York to LA shouldn't be something a team has to do. Nobody should be at work when their team is playing at 4:30 PM or forced to stay up until 2:00 AM, they should be able to watch the full game for their local playoff team.

mrblisterdundee
12-04-2014, 05:42 PM

I'm pretty sure the poster means that the top 16 teams in the NBA should go to the playoffs, regardless of conference. That's what should happen, but it will take more than a decent team missing out because of injuries.
I think the real push for reforming the playoffs, in basketball or another sport, might come from developments such as college football placing the top four teams (even though it should probably take at least the top eight teams) in the playoffs.

%%%%
12-04-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm pretty sure the poster means that the top 16 teams in the NBA should go to the playoffs, regardless of conference. That's what should happen, but it will take more than a decent team missing out because of injuries.
I think the real push for reforming the playoffs, in basketball or another sport, might come from developments such as college football placing the top four teams (even though it should probably take at least the top eight teams) in the playoffs.

The Finals would be awkward in that case. The World Series is the best AL team vs best NL team. The Superbowl is the best AFC team vs best NFC team.

NBA is supposed to be best Eastern team vs best Western teams. If you just put the top 16 teams, then you ruin the league separation.

mrblisterdundee
12-05-2014, 01:37 AM
The Finals would be awkward in that case. The World Series is the best AL team vs best NL team. The Superbowl is the best AFC team vs best NFC team.

NBA is supposed to be best Eastern team vs best Western teams. If you just put the top 16 teams, then you ruin the league separation.

That league separation is a bad idea. It should be the two best teams in the league going head to head in the finals.

benny01
12-05-2014, 03:05 AM
That league separation is a bad idea. It should be the two best teams in the league going head to head in the finals.
Every season you would have the Clips, Lakers, Heat, Mavs, Rockets, Spurs, Bulls, Knicks, Nets, Celtics in the playoffs after about 5 seasons. The rest of the league would develop players over thier rookie deals. Teams like the T'wolves, Bucks, pistons, jazz, cavs, hawks etc.. would never make the playoffs.
They would be better off in that case to contract half the teams in the league and put everybody in the playoffs

lol, please
12-05-2014, 03:13 AM

One where his team always gets in.

valade16
12-05-2014, 10:12 AM

From a pure marketing standpont the motto will write itself "the 2 best teams"

2-ONE-5
12-05-2014, 10:40 AM

why even have playoffs then?

raiderfaninTX
12-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Poll should show op is dumb

mightybosstone
12-05-2014, 11:13 AM
I suppose it's possible, but I seriously doubt it. Injuries have always and will always be a major concern in professional sports. And if OKC misses the playoffs, it won't be because of the playoff system. It will be because of injuries and bad luck early in the season.

Now, would OKC's path to the postseason be easier in the East? Probably. But if anything, I could see the league shifting some teams around between the conferences before I could see them changing the playoff system. If the NBA ever decides to add any expansion teams, I would look for it to do some shifting between existing teams as well.

JordansBulls
12-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Not going to matter they will be the 8th seed and play Golden state or Memphis in round 1 and beat them. They will probably only lose to San Antonio out west in the playoffs.

Vampirate
12-05-2014, 12:18 PM
when a 60 win contending Spurs team got hit with injuries in the mid 90's, and it led to them landing the #1 pick in the draft (Timmy), they didn't change the lottery system. So why would they bend because OKC missed the playoffs with injuries? Or at least, they shouldn't. Injuries happen. The east sucks. The sky is blue. What else is new?

I'm not sure as a fan any team in the top 3 in the East should be happy or embarrassed that they are in the East.

Kaner
12-05-2014, 01:34 PM
I hope they change the format but I hope this isn't the reason they do it. Phoenix missed out last year with probably more games than OKC will win this year. But because OKC have a star they're special? Nah.

Essentially yes, this is a league that caters to it's stars because it's stars make them the most money. If the #2 face of the NBA and another top 10 star both miss the playoffs that could lose the NBA alot of money and media attention. OKC missing the playoffs would be the first time a real contending team missed the playoffs and you could look at the disparity between the conferences as a major reason.

Thats completely different though... the conferences wasn't nearly the problem it is today and definitely wasn't the talking point it's been the past few years. The injury eliminated the spurs completely from making the playoffs. This is about how a 1 month injury that may have just eliminated 1 of the top favorites to win the NBA finals because they play in the west.

I suppose it's possible, but I seriously doubt it. Injuries have always and will always be a major concern in professional sports. And if OKC misses the playoffs, it won't be because of the playoff system. It will be because of injuries and bad luck early in the season.

Now, would OKC's path to the postseason be easier in the East? Probably. But if anything, I could see the league shifting some teams around between the conferences before I could see them changing the playoff system. If the NBA ever decides to add any expansion teams, I would look for it to do some shifting between existing teams as well.

I think the shifting teams is definitely the more likely solution then straight up dissolving the conferences, it'd make the NBA to different from other sports. Maybe I should have worded my original point differently, would OKC missing the playoffs cause Silver to revisit the playoff system? Something tells me Sacramento and Denver just missing it won't be enough for them to really consider it.

xnick5757
12-05-2014, 01:58 PM
The West is on pace to have by far its best season of all time against the East this year.

Also (from a Lowe article):

The ninth-place team in the West has ended up with a better record than about 2.5 Eastern Conference playoff teams on average since 2003.

If, out of the three best players in the league this year only Lebron makes it to the playoffs I think the league takes a long hard look at moving some teams around between the conferences.

Having your superstars miss the playoffs is bad business.

And lets be honest, does anyone really want to watch Milwaukee in the playoffs?

curtcocaine
12-05-2014, 02:24 PM
The West is on pace to have by far its best season of all time against the East this year.

Also (from a Lowe article):

If, out of the three best players in the league this year only Lebron makes it to the playoffs I think the league takes a long hard look at moving some teams around between the conferences.

Having your superstars miss the playoffs is bad business.

And lets be honest, does anyone really want to watch Milwaukee in the playoffs?
Yes it helps the game. Makes fan bases stronger.

2-ONE-5
12-05-2014, 02:25 PM
i dont care if any "stars" are missing the playoffs bcuz thats how you create new ones for the league. Guys like Leonard, Butler, Parker, Curry, AD, etc get their chance to shine and gain more national recognitiion that they deserve just like George did prior to last year.

Do you really want to see the Knicks in the playoffs?

Chronz
12-05-2014, 02:50 PM
shorten the season to 66 games where the best teams make the playoffs. Best league ever

Shammyguy3
12-07-2014, 02:47 PM
If you went to the top 16 the parity would only get worse. You would end up with 10 big market teams that go every year and 10 small market teams that would never make it to the playoffs. I get that it feels that way at this point, but it would get far worse.
I would suggest for parity reasons that they change the system the other way and give division champs automatic births with wild cards.

Every season you would have the Clips, Lakers, Heat, Mavs, Rockets, Spurs, Bulls, Knicks, Nets, Celtics in the playoffs after about 5 seasons. The rest of the league would develop players over thier rookie deals. Teams like the T'wolves, Bucks, pistons, jazz, cavs, hawks etc.. would never make the playoffs.
They would be better off in that case to contract half the teams in the league and put everybody in the playoffs

I'm failing to see how the parity in the league would change at all due to a playoff reformat, and I fail to see how teams like MIN/MIL/DET/UTH/CLE/ATL would never make the playoffs since Detroit/Utah/Cleveland/Atlanta have all made the playoffs more often than Brooklyn/New York the past 10 years.

Every team has ups and downs. It has less to do with market (see Oklahoma City, Portland, Cleveland, Detroit, Boston, Lakers are entering one right now) and much much much more to do with management and the draft.

shorten the season to 66 games where the best teams make the playoffs. Best league ever

It would be fantastic (would get rid of terrible back to back games as well), so long as you balance the schedule a bit more. Of the 29 opposing teams, you play each of them two times a year for 58 games. The remaining 8 games you alternate each year similar to what the NFL does.

benny01
12-07-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm failing to see how the parity in the league would change at all due to a playoff reformat, and I fail to see how teams like MIN/MIL/DET/UTH/CLE/ATL would never make the playoffs since Detroit/Utah/Cleveland/Atlanta have all made the playoffs more often than Brooklyn/New York the past 10 years.

Every team has ups and downs. It has less to do with market (see Oklahoma City, Portland, Cleveland, Detroit, Boston, Lakers are entering one right now) and much much much more to do with management and the draft.

It would be fantastic (would get rid of terrible back to back games as well), so long as you balance the schedule a bit more. Of the 29 opposing teams, you play each of them two times a year for 58 games. The remaining 8 games you alternate each year similar to what the NFL does.
Because I said so.
But really, the Nets and Knicks have been managed about as poorly as one could. I think it would take time obviously to get to that point. I think that big name free agents would migrate there when their contracts expire. I might be in the minority but I think over time Jackson will turn the knicks around organizationally and at some point Prokorov will want to win bad enough that he will stop thinking he's the smartest basketball guy in the room, maybe. Cleveland hasn't done anything without Bron, and Utah is living off of other teams scraps. Atlanta I give you is somewhat of an anomally. Detroit supports my point.

Generally the teams I listed that would never make the playoffs are homegrown teams. They get a few good drafts in a row, squeek into the playoffs for a season or two, and dissapear. On occasion, they are lucky enough to bring in a viable free agent that allows them to truly compete. The fact that they have young competetive teams(5-8 seeds) is their only draw to free agents, and in turn their only ability to actually be competetive. Otherwise they are forced to overpay for second tier players to appease their fan bases. The ability to sneak into the playoffs is really the only card the have to play. For the most part, these aren't places NBA players or their agents want to play.

When you go to 16 teams regardless of conference you just make it harder for these teams to get exposure, and exacerbate the NBA's current issue with parity. Over time the gap widens and you end up with a league that looks more like a globetrotter's game and less like basketball. I consider this to be a competetive year for the NBA and we have maybe 6-8 teams at most that you could consider contenders.

I would be far more in favor of contraction in that case.

Shammyguy3
12-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Utah was really good for a 4-5 year stretch not too long ago. The Pistons were really good for an 8 year stretch. Atlanta constantly makes the playoffs, albeit never a contender. And yes the Cavs haven't done anything without Lebron, but the Bulls haven't done much at all without Jordan or the Mavs without Dirk lol. Point is, that small market team still made the playoffs at some point after a proper rebuild. And New York/Brooklyn historically (although BRK was in Jersey) have never attracted star free agents outside of Amare Stoudemire and Jason Kidd. [correct me if i'm wrong on this].

My point is, every franchise has peaks and valleys. It doesn't matter how the playoff conference is set up, and a change in that would actually help those valleys out a bit by giving teams that need higher picks the proper pick, not the 15th selection in the draft.

And I don't buy teams having a harder time garnering exposure. I think if anything, it's harder NOW for teams in the West to garner exposure due to the top-level talent everywhere. Yet, we see Golden State (who hasn't done anything since Rick Barry), Memphis (nothing, ever), Oklahoma City all having success.

I don't see how you're connecting the dots on this honestly

benny01
12-08-2014, 12:23 AM
Utah was really good for a 4-5 year stretch not too long ago. The Pistons were really good for an 8 year stretch. Atlanta constantly makes the playoffs, albeit never a contender. And yes the Cavs haven't done anything without Lebron, but the Bulls haven't done much at all without Jordan or the Mavs without Dirk lol. Point is, that small market team still made the playoffs at some point after a proper rebuild. And New York/Brooklyn historically (although BRK was in Jersey) have never attracted star free agents outside of Amare Stoudemire and Jason Kidd. [correct me if i'm wrong on this].

My point is, every franchise has peaks and valleys. It doesn't matter how the playoff conference is set up, and a change in that would actually help those valleys out a bit by giving teams that need higher picks the proper pick, not the 15th selection in the draft.

And I don't buy teams having a harder time garnering exposure. I think if anything, it's harder NOW for teams in the West to garner exposure due to the top-level talent everywhere. Yet, we see Golden State (who hasn't done anything since Rick Barry), Memphis (nothing, ever), Oklahoma City all having success.

I don't see how you're connecting the dots on this honestly

yeah, I still disagree on a flimsy argument. I feel like in true PSD form I should call you a silly ****** or something to that effect, instead I'll return the point you lost yesterday. Your +1

king4day
12-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Not a chance in hell.
OKC has to suffer like the rest (though I have no doubt they'll get in this season barring any more injury setbacks). They had injuries and the penalty could be missing the playoffs. No reason for the NBA to change things.

Shammyguy3
12-08-2014, 08:43 PM
yeah, I still disagree on a flimsy argument. I feel like in true PSD form I should call you a silly ****** or something to that effect, instead I'll return the point you lost yesterday. Your +1

brownies!

2-ONE-5
12-09-2014, 12:20 PM
OKC missing the playoffs is the EXACT reason not to change the system.

Slug3
12-09-2014, 12:38 PM
I don't know how many votes would be needed from the owners, but I am pretty sure there would be all no's from the eastern owners. and I am pretty sure you need more than 50% to pass it.

2-ONE-5
12-09-2014, 12:42 PM
75 % i think it was

michael jordan
12-11-2014, 08:52 PM
they will get the 5 seed

and could get a crack of the cavs in the finals@:clap:

FlashBolt
12-11-2014, 09:47 PM
I understand both arguments for and not, and quite frankly, this is a toss-up. It will be really difficult to decide.