PDA

View Full Version : Stan Van Gundy "we have a messed up team"

spreadeagle
12-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Stan Van Gundy, via Vincent Goodwill Jr. of The Detroit News:

Iím not gonna say I have a selfish team or lazy team. We have a messed up team.

The Pistonsí loss to the Lakers last night, Detroitís ninth straight defeat to drop its record to 3-15, was a new low not only for this squad, but the entire franchise. No Pistons team had ever started so poorly.

So, this harsh assessment is hardly unwarranted. Still, itís a little jarring to see the head coach be so blunt.

Van Gundyís rhetoric has gradually intensified during the losing streak, but nothing has seemed to work. Iím not sure a kick in the rear is what this team needs, but hopefully this statement reaches someone.

Stan Van Gundy believes the Detroit Pistons played harder in the preseason and have been outworked by every team they've played since their loss at the Memphis Grizzlies a few weeks ago.

"There's no dilemmas in the preseason. No dilemmas," Van Gundy said. "No one cares how many shots they're getting. Everybody knows everybody's gonna play so everybody's spirits are up. You're not worried about stats. Ö No one cares. Same in practice. You practice hard, do what you're supposed to do."

The Pistons shot just 36.7 percent against a Los Angeles Lakers' team that is bad on defense.

"I think we took a lot of tough shots with people open," Van Gundy said. "We have to show them those things. I have to do my job better.."
http://pistonpowered.com/2014/12/03/stan-van-gundy-pistons-messed-team/

slaker619
12-03-2014, 04:38 PM
They're shooting and playing horrible and its sad to see with all that talent on that team I don't who the blame more the coach our the lack of intensity from players

IndyRealist
12-03-2014, 04:38 PM
True. Good to hear a coach say it on the record. They are being forced to play certain players who are underperforming, and they have guys who are playing for next year's payday. Their team is lopsided and players are being forced to play against their own strengths.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2014, 05:08 PM
True. Good to hear a coach say it on the record. They are being forced to play certain players who are underperforming, and they have guys who are playing for next year's payday. Their team is lopsided and players are being forced to play against their own strengths.

the Van Gundy brothers never hold back.

Their team is structured totally wrong. It contradicts itself.

DoMeFavors
12-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Seems like nobody wants to be there and all are waiting for a change to be made instead of trying to save season, they lack shooting and have a lot of selfish losing players on team.

lamzoka
12-03-2014, 06:13 PM
They need to get rid off Josh Smith and Branson Jennings asap. Their selfishness is rubbing on the whole team.

Ezio
12-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Maybe as the president of operations he should be making some calls?

DoMeFavors
12-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Maybe as the president of operations he should be making some calls?

Some of their negatives are had to move, and maybe wait towards the trade deadline

Deception
12-03-2014, 07:29 PM
They need to get rid off Josh Smith and Branson Jennings asap. Their selfishness is rubbing on the whole team.

Really wish people would look into things before posting untrue remarks, Jennings has done well under SVG, he's raised his FG% tremendously, lower turnovers, and ran the offense well. Smith on the other hand is struggling, however, Smith isn't selfish, he's done well with assists numbers, he's just turning the ball over and not shooting well. I agree both don't have a future on this team, but Jennings hasn't been terrible this year, but he's not our answer at PG, Smith as well hasn't played well, it's definitely a confidence thing because he's making mental errors like not finishing at the basket, which is what he thrives at.

smith&wesson
12-03-2014, 07:51 PM
A team with Josh Smith and Jennings, is not winning ? Who would have thought ?? A front court of smith, monroe, drummond is not working? wow, what a shocker lol :speechless:

FIRE SALE!!!!! Id get rid of every one not named Drummond asap. Starting with Smith, Jennings, Singler, Butler... dead weight!

smith&wesson
12-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Really wish people would look into things before posting untrue remarks, Jennings has done well under SVG, he's raised his FG% tremendously, lower turnovers, and ran the offense well. Smith on the other hand is struggling, however, Smith isn't selfish, he's done well with assists numbers, he's just turning the ball over and not shooting well. I agree both don't have a future on this team, but Jennings hasn't been terrible this year, but he's not our answer at PG, Smith as well hasn't played well, it's definitely a confidence thing because he's making mental errors like not finishing at the basket, which is what he thrives at.

yes jennings has def played well as of late. but do you want to build a team around him ? Getting rid of smith should be first order of business, and then the pistons should do what they can to get as much picks and or talent in return for the rest of their team and surround Drummond with some winners.

Blink
12-03-2014, 07:59 PM
yes jennings has def played well as of late. but do you want to build a team around him ? Getting rid of smith should be first order of business, and then the pistons should do what they can to get as much picks and or talent in return for the rest of their team and surround Drummond with some winners.

He said he isn't our answer at PG. If we could get an expiring for Jennings....see ya although he has been descent this year.

Vampirate
12-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Drummond is very NBA young but I don't know how much time Detroit has to put a winner around him before he enters his prime.

To turn this ship around might take years.

JEDean89
12-03-2014, 10:04 PM
It's like the opposite of the Howard/Gundy teams in ORL, instead of incredible shooters around Drummond, they have placed guys who can't shoot...

5ass
12-03-2014, 10:20 PM
I still don't understand why the **** they signed josh smith. It really made no sense whatsoever.

DoMeFavors
12-03-2014, 10:26 PM
I don't get why they used some money to sign Caron Butler

Deception
12-03-2014, 10:40 PM
I don't get why they used some money to sign Caron Butler

Butler has been one of our better players, he was signed for a two year 9 mill contract, second year is a team option, so 4.5 mill for one year essentially. So what's not to get?

DoMeFavors
12-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Butler has been one of our better players, he was signed for a two year 9 mill contract, second year is a team option, so 4.5 mill for one year essentially. So what's not to get?

He is a vet that is average but for a team like Pistons it made no sense. Had Pistons not signed him he would have probably signed with a contender for minimum. That's why I don't get it.

TrueFan420
12-03-2014, 11:15 PM
He is a vet that is average but for a team like Pistons it made no sense. Had Pistons not signed him he would have probably signed with a contender for minimum. That's why I don't get it.
He wanted more money so he signed with them instead of taking vet min and chasing a ring. From what you're saying it sounds more like you're questioning him than the Pistons.

DoMeFavors
12-03-2014, 11:29 PM
He wanted more money so he signed with them instead of taking vet min and chasing a ring. From what you're saying it sounds more like you're questioning him than the Pistons.

No im questioning why Pistons would want him

Deception
12-03-2014, 11:34 PM

He's a veteran presence and a wing player, two things we lack. So I don't see what you can't see. He's there to fill a void for a season.

DoMeFavors
12-03-2014, 11:39 PM
He's a veteran presence and a wing player, two things we lack. So I don't see what you can't see. He's there to fill a void for a season.

That veteran presence isn't helping the pistons

Deception
12-03-2014, 11:40 PM
That veteran presence isn't helping the pistons

Right, had we not signed him we'd be undefeated. Why aren't you a GM?

DoMeFavors
12-03-2014, 11:47 PM
Right, had we not signed him we'd be undefeated. Why aren't you a GM?

I am just giving my view on the signing, if you like it then that's great. He isn't a bad player but with the money pistons gave him I figured it would be a better player or a younger player for the Pistons. If you're happy that's great.

Deception
12-03-2014, 11:51 PM
I am just giving my view on the signing, if you like it then that's great. He isn't a bad player but with the money pistons gave him I figured it would be a better player or a younger player for the Pistons. If you're happy that's great.

He's been solid for us, I like the signing. Just a question, who would you have rather signed if you were in our GM's shoes? Please don't say Stephenson though

DoMeFavors
12-03-2014, 11:54 PM
He's been solid for us, I like the signing. Just a question, who would you have rather signed if you were in our GM's shoes? Please don't say Stephenson though

I don't like Stephenson but he's better than Caron, ive seen Carons stats this season and using that money on him is worth it? I would have to see the free agents available but im sure most of the free agents I would take over Caron. He will probably be traded at deadline/ or bought out in Feb to sign with contender. Pistons signed Cartier Martin and Jodie Meeks what does Caron do that they don't?

Deception
12-03-2014, 11:57 PM
I don't like Stephenson but he's better than Caron, ive seen Carons stats this season and using that money on him is worth it? I would have to see the free agents available but im sure most of the free agents I would take over Caron. He will probably be traded at deadline/ or bought out in Feb to sign with contender. Pistons signed Cartier Martin and Jodie Meeks what does Caron do that they don't?

Meeks hasn't played cause of a back injury, Cartier is one dimensional. Butler hit a game tying 3 and has been pretty great at hitting open shots and also moving the ball well. Caron may be traded but won't be bought out though

DoMeFavors
12-04-2014, 12:12 AM
Meeks hasn't played cause of a back injury, Cartier is one dimensional. Butler hit a game tying 3 and has been pretty great at hitting open shots and also moving the ball well. Caron may be traded but won't be bought out though

So what do you say is the problem for the Pistons and why they are 3-16?

Deception
12-04-2014, 12:19 AM
So what do you say is the problem for the Pistons and why they are 3-16?

Shots are not falling, we're one of the worst offensive teams. Also, lack of wing players that can guard 3's, it's forced us to play Smith back at the 3 one teams with elite 3's (ex. Melo).

TrueFan420
12-04-2014, 12:30 AM

A solid wing that can shoot the 3 and to be a good vet presence. the deal is team friendly and doesn't have long term ramifications. Why not.

SF8
12-04-2014, 01:16 AM
The Pistons are one of those teams that tries hard to stay bad.

They made that god awful trade for Allen Iverson and had to wait for his contract to expire. Then they used that cap space to sign Ben Gordon and Charlie Villunaleva to huge overpaid contracts. Then they waited for those contracts to expire. Then they used that cap space to sign Josh Smith to a huge overpaid contract.

I'll never feel bad for Detroit because they brought all this upon themself by overpaying players. Their GM and owner can't go to sleep unless they know there's at least one ridiculously overpaid player on the team at all times.

Howard_Zinn
12-04-2014, 02:02 AM

They made that god awful trade for Allen Iverson and had to wait for his contract to expire. Then they used that cap space to sign Ben Gordon and Charlie Villunaleva to huge overpaid contracts. Then they waited for those contracts to expire. Then they used that cap space to sign Josh Smith to a huge overpaid contract.

I'll never feel bad for Detroit because they brought all this upon themself by overpaying players. Their GM and owner can't go to sleep unless they know there's at least one ridiculously overpaid player on the team at all times.

Every move you just listed was done by Dumars..

DoMeFavors
12-04-2014, 02:31 AM
Gordon and Josh Smith didn't work out but prior to becoming Pistons they were top players for their playoff teams. They just never built up the roster well enough along with those guys. And had players that don't work well with them.

Howard_Zinn
12-04-2014, 02:33 AM
Gordon and Josh Smith didn't work out but prior to becoming Pistons they were top players for their playoff teams. They just never built up the roster well enough along with those guys. And had players that don't work well with them.

I actually think Josh Smith would work out on the Nets.

DoMeFavors
12-04-2014, 02:43 AM
I actually think Josh Smith would work out on the Nets.

I like him

Deception
12-04-2014, 03:30 AM

1. Iverson trade was influenced by our owner and also was a salary dump, he was an expiring so I don't see where saying we waited for his contract to end.

2. Gordon was coming off an amazing season so you can't fault it not working out, Charlie V was a bad signing.

3. We have a new GM and owner so saying you can't stand them for their predecessors is stupid. Get over yourself and learn some facts.

SF8
12-04-2014, 05:31 AM
We have a new GM and owner so saying you can't stand them for their predecessors is stupid. Get over yourself and learn some facts.

I'm 99.9% sure that Tom Gores was the owner when the Pistons signed Josh Smith to that ridiculous *****ing contract.

And I'm 99.9% sure that Gores is still their owner.

I may be wrong but I doubt it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhusltpwMIQ

Deception
12-04-2014, 04:25 PM
I'm 99.9% sure that Tom Gores was the owner when the Pistons signed Josh Smith to that ridiculous *****ing contract.

And I'm 99.9% sure that Gores is still their owner.

I may be wrong but I doubt it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhusltpwMIQ

And I'm 99.99% sure that Dumars was the reason behind it. Dumars was given 1 offseason to construct a team to his best ability that can win games, we're not talking a championship team but restore a winning culture. He failed and was canned. Dumars has been obsessed with Smith since he was drafted, why do you think we were linked to all trade rumors with him in 07-09?

MonroeFAN
12-04-2014, 04:35 PM

What is it that you're not grasping with the concept of a 1 year contract? Who was this better younger player that was available for 4.5 a season? Butler was brought it to be a vet presence, no it's not working. Hind-sight is 20/20.

BKLYNpigeon
12-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Van Gundy had his chance to Coach the Warriors.

Crackadalic
12-04-2014, 04:38 PM
As flawed as the front court is chemistry wise they shouldn't be this bad

Monroe is gone next season
Josh Smith isn't going anywhere with that contract
Drummond should stay of course
Jennings needs to be traded asap will his value is high
Tank for a pick this year

JasonJohnHorn
12-04-2014, 06:41 PM
They should have pushed through that deal to trade J-Smooth for Gay in the offseason.

That said, this basically sounds like SVG saying: "I have no clue how to do my fawking job."

He's the coach. That roster is better than it was last year, but they are playing worse. There is no reason for that. He needs to be the change.

It is hard with ball hogs like Jennings and Smith, but, hey.... SVG is getting paid an $#!T load of money to take care of this.

Deception
12-04-2014, 06:46 PM
As flawed as the front court is chemistry wise they shouldn't be this bad

Monroe is gone next season
Josh Smith isn't going anywhere with that contract
Drummond should stay of course
Jennings needs to be traded asap will his value is high
Tank for a pick this year
^^^ He gets it

They should have pushed through that deal to trade J-Smooth for Gay in the offseason.

That said, this basically sounds like SVG saying: "I have no clue how to do my fawking job."

He's the coach. That roster is better than it was last year, but they are playing worse. There is no reason for that. He needs to be the change.

It is hard with ball hogs like Jennings and Smith, but, hey.... SVG is getting paid an $#!T load of money to take care of this.

^^^ He doesn't.

ghettosean
12-04-2014, 09:33 PM
A team with Josh Smith and Jennings, is not winning ? Who would have thought ?? A front court of smith, monroe, drummond is not working? wow, what a shocker lol :speechless:

FIRE SALE!!!!! Id get rid of every one not named Drummond asap. Starting with Smith, Jennings, Singler, Butler... dead weight!

This... break up this experiment gone wrong asap.

benny01
12-05-2014, 02:25 AM

no, just no, Gordon in particular.
Smith actually has some redeeming qualities in that he's really athletic and yeah he's a real athlete. Gordon was always terrible. People were of the false belief he was good because of the series against the Celtics in 2000 and whatever when he hit big shots at the end of a few of the games. What is often overlooked is the fact that in those games he was the reason there were big shots to be had. He would waste possesion after possesion with terrible shots the entire game and then hit a few at the end and be a hero. Dumb **** like a three from 6 ft behind the line with 22 seconds on the shot clock. Smith is his twin, except without the hero business. I hate stats like nobody's business, but I swear Dumars never saw an advanced stat in his life.

benny01
12-05-2014, 02:26 AM

And this.

IndyRealist
12-05-2014, 10:03 AM
1. Iverson trade was influenced by our owner and also was a salary dump, he was an expiring so I don't see where saying we waited for his contract to end.

2. Gordon was coming off an amazing season so you can't fault it not working out, Charlie V was a bad signing.

3. We have a new GM and owner so saying you can't stand them for their predecessors is stupid. Get over yourself and learn some facts.

1. Trading for an expiring Iverson was not the bad part of that deal, trading Billups and extending Hamilton was. Billups carried that team.
2. Ben Gordon has been, and always will be, an overrated chucker who doesn't do anything else. He's remarkably consistent at it. He is above average at 3pt shooting, and -slightly- above average at not turning the ball over. In every other category (including 2pt FG%) he's below average, both for his career and in his supposed "amazing" season. Granted, that was his BEST season.