PDA

View Full Version : Swap Kobe and Melo

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-03-2014, 03:51 PM
What happens with both teams? Do they get worse or better?

Lakers are 4-0 against east and 1-12 against west
Knicks are 1-5 against west and 3-10 against east

tredigs
12-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Well, they play similar roles on their teams, but Melo is much better at it. Pretty obvious here.

nycericanguy
12-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Knicks would be much better... not really a fair question though because Kobe has like 10 years of experience in the triangle.

Lakers would also be better though, because Melo is just a better, more efficient player at this stage of their careers.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Knicks would be much better... not really a fair question though because Kobe has like 10 years of experience in the triangle.

Lakers would also be better though, because Melo is just a better, more efficient player at this stage of their careers.

probably true on both accounts, but Kobe has looked pretty underwhelming this year..

nycericanguy
12-03-2014, 04:08 PM
probably true on both accounts, but Kobe has looked pretty underwhelming this year..

agreed, but I think his experience and leadership in the triangle would have won at least half of these close games that the Knicks keep losing.

actually a good question though because i think its a rare case where both teams would be better trading very similar players,

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Well, they play similar roles on their teams, but Melo is much better at it. Pretty obvious here.

so in other words, you mean Knicks would be much worse with Kobe...

Like sixers bad? especially when the eastern conference is so tough.

rhd420
12-03-2014, 04:23 PM

yeah, there is a learning curve with the triangle but wouldn't say Kobe played in the confines of that system more so that D Fish was the PG and tried to get them into the system more than Kobe

At this stage, the Lakers are focused on amplifying Kobe's stats and status, yes a self centric promotion since they don't have the players to contend, something that I commend Lakers management for at least recognizing as opposed to going after Tier B & C players to take opportunities away from Kobe

As for the Knicks, they literally have to get D Fish of 5 seasons ago if they want the system to work ... notice that Kobe never won a title without D Fisher at PG and Phil Jackson as coach, says something doesn't it

FraziersKnicks
12-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Melo is better than Kobe so the Lakers would be better and the Knicks would be worse. Simple.

tredigs
12-03-2014, 04:27 PM
so in other words, you mean Knicks would be much worse with Kobe...

Like sixers bad? especially when the eastern conference is so tough.

I like the above points about Kobe's triangle acumen and that part would be serviceable, but it's not going to change the fact that he tires out in the 2nd half of games, or that he doesn't trust players of the Knicks caliber offensively (which would lead to standard hero ball, triangle or not).

The Lakers are at their best when Kobe takes on a lesser shooting role, period. It engages the other players and the ball/player movement offensively is 5 fold better than when he thinks it's time for Kobe mode and they just end up sitting back and watching. Carmelo -- being the better/more able offensive player at this point could pull off that style better and win them a few more games, but they'd still suck.

Beyond that, it's shortsighted not to see the eventual collapse of Kobe in the 2nd half of the season. If we're already seeing it in the 2nd half of games with him unable to get lift on his jumpers, those legs are going to be jelly come February. As poor as the Lakers are right now, it's going to get much worse if he maintains this style of play.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2014, 04:30 PM
I like the above points about Kobe's triangle acumen and that part would be serviceable, but it's not going to change the fact that he tires out in the 2nd half of games, or that he doesn't trust players of the Knicks caliber offensively (which would lead to standard hero ball, triangle or not).

The Lakers are at their best when Kobe takes on a lesser shooting role, period. It engages the other players and the ball/player movement offensively is 5 fold better than when he thinks it's time for Kobe mode and they just end up sitting back and watching. Carmelo -- being the better/more able offensive player at this point could pull off that style better and win them a few more games, but they'd still suck.

Beyond that, it's shortsighted not to see the eventual collapse of Kobe in the 2nd half of the season. If we're already seeing it in the 2nd half of games with him unable to get lift on his jumpers, those legs are going to be jelly come February. As poor as the Lakers are right now, it's going to get much worse if he maintains this style of play.

potentially, but he may also be getting in better shape as the season progresses, remember, he hasn't played real basketball in over a year basically. And we know he outworks everyone off the court, in the training room.

I wouldn't be surprised if what you said happens, or if he gets stronger honestly.

slaker619
12-03-2014, 04:39 PM
They both need serious help to come thru

tredigs
12-03-2014, 04:39 PM
potentially, but he may also be getting in better shape as the season progresses, remember, he hasn't played real basketball in over a year basically. And we know he outworks everyone off the court, in the training room.

I wouldn't be surprised if what you said happens, or if he gets stronger honestly.

I thought about that and would agree if he was 26, for sure. Just don't see at the 60,000 minute mark with the injury he had. No denying he'll try, though.

ATX
12-03-2014, 04:41 PM
I'd say both teams would still be bottom feeders.

Crackadalic
12-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Both are volume scorers.

Melo is more efficient but still only a shade under 4 assist
Kobe is a better playmaker but his usage rate is under 37 and shoots 39% from the field.

It's really hard to say tbh. Both of them are on bad teams.

GiantsSwaGG
12-03-2014, 05:08 PM
As long as the Lakers keep winning, I'm fine we don't need the Lakers in the top 5 in the draft :)

#tanktape

Jamiecballer
12-03-2014, 05:35 PM
What happens with both teams? Do they get worse or better?

Lakers are 4-0 against east and 1-12 against west
Knicks are 1-5 against west and 3-10 against east

probably more or less the same. 5 championships.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Meh who cares. Only one will rot away with nothing to show for his career.

Tony_Starks
12-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Lakers are 4-0 vs the east and you're putting Kobe in position to play the Philly Tanks, Celtics, Pistons, Magics of the world 3 to 4 times a year and your asking what would happen? In the triangle at that?

Is this even a serious question?

R. Johnson#3
12-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Lakers get better

J.R. Smith demands a trade

jerellh528
12-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Sad to even ask this question when 1 guy is in his prime and has one of the most complete offensive games in the league, and the other guy is playing the last games of his career at 36, coming off major surgery, playing almost no ball in 2 years after 18 seasons and playoffs. Just goes to show kobe's legendary work ethic and drive. And its more sad for the typical haters to come in here and say "melo blah blah better than kobe blah" as if its an insult or somthing haha, he should be wayyy better at this point.

Bruno
12-03-2014, 07:00 PM

he's inefficient but I don't know if I'd call 26/5/5 from a 36 year old coming off Achilles injury as fully underwhelming. I think he's playing as efficiently as he can on a team with zero floor spacing and zero inside scoring.

Tony_Starks
12-03-2014, 07:07 PM
he's inefficient but I don't know if I'd call 26/5/5 from a 36 year old coming off Achilles injury as fully underwhelming. I think he's playing as efficiently as he can on a team with zero floor spacing and zero inside scoring.

Oh no it's completely underwhelming man. Kobe should be putting up 28 7 7 with outstanding advanced stats and have the mediocre Lakers sitting in the middle of the playoff picture. He should be on par with players 10 years younger than him, especially coming off career ending surgery. He should just retire...

Hawkeye15
12-03-2014, 08:32 PM

his impact is nothing this year compared to the Kobe we know. You get measured against yourself when you are a top 10 player ever..

you also know, any other player taking 23+ attempts a game with his efficiency would be killed by us, and the media. I can put it in context, with his age/injuries, and quite frankly, nothing better on the Lakers, but he hasn't been very good by any means...

bucketss
12-03-2014, 10:19 PM
i think this thread jinxed the lakers.

GoferKing_
12-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Melo is better than Kobe so the Lakers would be better and the Knicks would be worse. Simple.

I'm a Sacramento fan so that might say something about my opinion about the Lakers but Kobe with no knees is better than Anthony.

Chronz
12-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Honestly dont know what to make of Kobe this season. Hes still uplifting that team IMO, even if its not statistically evident.

xxplayerxx23
12-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Melo is the Better player by far. Both teams would still be awful either way.

%%%%
12-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Knicks fan --- if Kobe were in his prime, then absolutely. But not now. Melo today is the better player.

Chronz
12-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Lakers are 4-0 vs the east and you're putting Kobe in position to play the Philly Tanks, Celtics, Pistons, Magics of the world 3 to 4 times a year and your asking what would happen? In the triangle at that?

Is this even a serious question?

Are you suggesting the Lakers will have a dramatically different winning% against the East this year?

Sean Moore
12-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Honestly it would be a good trade for both teams in the short term. Kobe would flourish more under Phil and Fish playing in the triangle in the east and Melo would be better for this current Lakers team in that he wouldn't be as worn down as Kobe is by playing all those heavy minutes. The minutes a star player would need to play day in and day out to get a win with that Lakers team in the western conference is more suited towards Melo. The trade would make no sense for Knick fans in the long term in that they would get only a few more wins on the season which would make them do worse in the lottery and at the end of the day they would have an aging Kobe opposed to a prime Melo to rebuild with once those awful contracts come off the books for NY next season.