PDA

View Full Version : OKC's season

Sanjay
11-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Up until now
With Russell Westbrook returning to the Thunder lineup in Friday's 105-78 win over the Knicks and reigning MVP Kevin Durant listed as day-to-day, Oklahoma City will be looking to get back on track after starting the season 4-12 without KD and Westbrook. Russell dropped 32 against New York while shooting an efficient 12-17 from the field (including 3-4 from beyond the arc) with 8 assists and 7 rebounds in only 24 minutes of action. Although this was against a struggling Knicks team without Carmelo Anthony, a performance like this after being out for a month should not be overlooked. However, it is not known if Westbrook will be able to keep this up over the next two weeks or so. Furthermore, when Durant comes back where will he be at? Obviously Kevin has been out longer than Russell and has not played this season. One could argue the Thunder's next game on Tuesday at the Pelicans will be a real test of where they are at with Westbrook returning (and possibly Durant's season debut?).

Rest of the season
If the diagnosis of Kevin missing the first 6 weeks of the season is correct then he will return on Sunday December 14 at home against the Suns. Oklahoma City could be 7-15 by then and even if they win 70% of their remaining games from that date they will only have 49 wins in total, which may or may not have got you into the Western Conference playoffs last year and with the West improving even further this season that number could even increase.

QUESTION:
Where do you see the Thunder's season going?

SPURSFAN1
11-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Injury to russ or durant.

likemystylez
11-30-2014, 09:50 PM
I think durants injury might require him to come back a little slower than some fans would like. he might have to play 25 minutes a game for a few weeks or a month- and theres a real chance of them having to sit him more games this yr on account of the jones fracture

poleandreel
11-30-2014, 09:59 PM
KD and Russ will get them into the playoffs guaranteed. Russ will pick up any slack for KD while he gets his legs back. I see them making it to the Western Conference finals but the lack of home court will hurt them in the same way it did last year

andy2518
11-30-2014, 10:05 PM
I highly doubt KD will be back by the 14th of December. Or even this year. Just look at the NFL for similar injuries as an example. I think aiming for the All-Star break would be a more realistic expectation. Really a shame too.

jerellh528
11-30-2014, 10:05 PM
They will get 50 wins. Russ came back and looked mvp worthy, he'll hold down the fort until the nbas best player gets back

InRoseWeTrust
11-30-2014, 10:06 PM
I highly doubt KD will be back by the 14th of December. Or even this year. Just look at the NFL for similar injuries as an example. I think aiming for the All-Star break would be a more realistic expectation. Really a shame too.

He's already practicing with contact. There's no chance it's going to take until the break.

likemystylez
11-30-2014, 10:07 PM
KD and Russ will get them into the playoffs guaranteed. Russ will pick up any slack for KD while he gets his legs back. I see them making it to the Western Conference finals but the lack of home court will hurt them in the same way it did last year

problem is- that first round will be against a powerhouse for them. if they do get into the playoffs- im guessing 7th or 8th seed. and they better hope westbrook doesnt have a seperate injury. the last few yrs, he has seemed to find a way to get hurt.

there are 3 teams in the west that could take them in a 7 game series (and all 3 will likely have home court on them)

Spurs, they did it last yr- pop can outcoach brooks any day of the week.

Warriors- They played the thunder straight up last year... and they are vastly improved with their new offensive system and new coaching

Memphis- They have the pieces to take memphis out, and OKC can not play with marc gasol.

poleandreel
11-30-2014, 10:09 PM
They are 5-12. All they have to do is rattle off 8 in a row or win like 7/10 and they will fine. In each of the past 5 seasons they've had at least 1 9 game win streak. The grizzlies, warriors, trailblazers, and rockets are all due for a slump. OKC will capitalize when that happens.

poleandreel
11-30-2014, 10:12 PM
problem is- that first round will be against a powerhouse for them. if they do get into the playoffs- im guessing 7th or 8th seed. and they better hope westbrook doesnt have a seperate injury. the last few yrs, he has seemed to find a way to get hurt.

there are 3 teams in the west that could take them in a 7 game series (and all 3 will likely have home court on them)

Warriors- They played the thunder straight up last year... and they are vastly improved with their new offensive system and new coaching

Memphis- They have the pieces to take memphis out, and OKC can not play with marc gasol.

I hear you but at the same time, who in their right mind actually thinks a healthy OKC team with reigning MVP KD, Russ (you can see what he does as the alpha dog based on his games this year without KD and the playoffs last year), Ibaka, and Reggie isn't better than Memphis or Warriors.

Memphis and Golden State are both awesome...but they aren't better than OKC. Neither team has an answer for Russ and Jackson/Adams are vastly improved. Let's also not forget that the role players just got 3 weeks of experience playing without KD/Russ so they will be ready when the time comes.

likemystylez
11-30-2014, 10:14 PM
They are 5-12. All they have to do is rattle off 8 in a row or win like 7/10 and they will fine. In each of the past 5 seasons they've had at least 1 9 game win streak. The grizzlies, warriors, trailblazers, and rockets are all due for a slump. OKC will capitalize when that happens.

LOL- well those arent the teams the thunder should be chasing. Also none of those teams are just gonna rattle off like 5 straight losses or anything. at worse they might have like a 4-4 stretch or something. even if that happens to two of them and the thunder win 9 straight- thunder would still be like 8 games back from them. Those teams are all like 10 games over .500 and the thunder are like 9 games under.

<More realistically the thunder would have to win like 27 of their next 30 and hope one of those teams goes like 17-13

andy2518
11-30-2014, 10:15 PM
He's already practicing with contact. There's no chance it's going to take until the break.

You're right actually, I just looked that up. Pretty crazy how fast these guys can recover these days. Thought that it would at least take him time to strengthen his calf. Rehab time and all.

poleandreel
11-30-2014, 10:54 PM
LOL- well those arent the teams the thunder should be chasing. Also none of those teams are just gonna rattle off like 5 straight losses or anything. at worse they might have like a 4-4 stretch or something. even if that happens to two of them and the thunder win 9 straight- thunder would still be like 8 games back from them. Those teams are all like 10 games over .500 and the thunder are like 9 games under.

<More realistically the thunder would have to win like 27 of their next 30 and hope one of those teams goes like 17-13

What? All of those teams had big slumps last season (e.g. lose 7 out of 10 or 4/5 in a row). Just because they are off to hot starts doesn't mean they are all of a sudden the spurs.

tredigs
11-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Optimistic outlook for them:

Westbrook's back. Durant may play the next game. Next Sunday at the latest (missing the Pels and Sixers games. 1 toss up, 1 win). They'll be at around .500 before the end of the year, and 5-10 games over by the ASB. By seasons end they'll likely have ~52 wins (they're a 60 win team who have lost around 8 games they wouldn't have otherwise) and get the 6 seed. At that point they could get Portland, who they'd likely beat. If they get Memphis or GS it's going to be tougher.

Seasons end conference standings could be:
1. Spurs (once they get their full roster back they're going to roll as usual. Not that they're struggling)
2. Warriors (league best SRS with D. Lee most likely coming back to their bench next week. ~57 win team)
3. Memphis
4. Clippers
5. Portland
6. Houston
7. OKC
8. Dallas

Blitzbolt
11-30-2014, 11:06 PM
We have fought against OKC (Grizz)in almost every playoffs the series always goes to 7 games I have no dought they will turn it around.. I don't like them but I respect them.

mau2392
12-02-2014, 03:18 AM
It is tough for me to say that the Thunder will or won't make it to the playoffs. They have a very tough mountain to climb. If they were in the East I wouldn't be so worried, but they're in the west and you have at least ten teams in the conference who are above .500 as of tonight. KD is not going to play every single game when he returns. If OKC is smart they will sit him out a few games just in case they make it to the playoffs. That being said I don't think Westbrook is the kind of player who can carry a team during the entire regular season. He plays no defense and has a very poor concept of team playing. If they do make it to the playoffs they'll be a 7th seed, but nothing higher than that.

Sanjay
12-02-2014, 10:19 PM

I agree, if they make the playoffs they should be able to get back to the Conference Finals. Even if Durant and Westbrook didn't get injured and they had the top seed I don't know if they could beat the Spurs.

Sanjay
12-02-2014, 10:23 PM

Let's say they face the Warriors in the 1st round, if Durant and Westbrook have MVP series' I think they can beat them, but that would definitely be a great matchup.

goingfor28
12-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Good call