PDA

View Full Version : How is Brady Heslip not in the NBA?

JustinTime
11-30-2014, 03:20 PM
I know this guy is undersized as a SG at 6'1 but still he's making a joke out of the d-league right now. Currently he's averaging 34.8 pts per game through 5 gms which is 6ppg lead pver the next top scorer and has a true shooting % of 76%. Last game he went off for 45 pts and just broke his own D-league record for 3's in a game with 13. You would think some team out there would need a pure shooter wouldn't you?

bgdreton
11-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Good stuff for the kid but it's the D league most guys won't even sniff the nba ever.

abe_froman
11-30-2014, 03:34 PM
dont be taken in by d league stats,its fools gold

PurpleLynch
11-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Also Goudelock played like MJ in D-League . He's looking good and I think some Nba teams will look for him if he's needed,but that doesn't mean that he's a beast!

tredigs
11-30-2014, 03:54 PM
He averaged 11/1/1 his junior year at Baylor last year. That's probably why.

TrueFan420
11-30-2014, 05:46 PM
How's his defense tho?

As a warriors fan if Rush keeps looking bad, shooting wise and defensively, I wouldn't be opposed to cutting him and signing this guy. He could be barbosa's replacement for next year. As well as having Livingston as the back up PG as an advantage because he can defend the twos if they play together at any point. But he would be nothing more than an end of the bench/garbage time type player for us.

Goose17
11-30-2014, 07:42 PM
A lot of guys would rather be the best in a league of the worst than the worst in a league of the best.

It sort of makes sense, he maybe just wants to play as much as possible. Kind of surprised nobody has done what some teams do (like the dubs) where they sign him just before games, send him back down to the D-league, then bring him back up, send him back down etc etc. Just to see how he works out. Timberwolves already waived him, maybe they saw something they didn't like, arrogance? Crappy work ethic? Who knows.

Anyone that can score 78 points in two games on high efficiency is worth a look right? I don't follow the D-league much so wasn't aware of the system the Bighorns were running, looking at it now and I think that has clearly played a big part in his production. Grinnell System is literally just take a shot as soon as you can and try to make it a 3 pointer. It's a live by the three and die by the three system. Usually with one, maximum two, designated shooters that take the majority of shots.

2-ONE-5
11-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Sixers currently have Covington who was last years D League MVP and he stinks.

MrfadeawayJB
11-30-2014, 08:09 PM
He's auditioning for a payday in Europe.

TrueFan420
11-30-2014, 08:39 PM
A lot of guys would rather be the best in a league of the worst than the worst in a league of the best.

It sort of makes sense, he maybe just wants to play as much as possible. Kind of surprised nobody has done what some teams do (like the dubs) where they sign him just before games, send him back down to the D-league, then bring him back up, send him back down etc etc. Just to see how he works out. Timberwolves already waived him, maybe they saw something they didn't like, arrogance? Crappy work ethic? Who knows.

Anyone that can score 78 points in two games on high efficiency is worth a look right? I don't follow the D-league much so wasn't aware of the system the Bighorns were running, looking at it now and I think that has clearly played a big part in his production. Grinnell System is literally just take a shot as soon as you can and try to make it a 3 pointer. It's a live by the three and die by the three system. Usually with one, maximum two, designated shooters that take the majority of shots.

The phrase you're looking for is a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond.

Maybe the rockets should sign him that sounds like their system in a nut shell.

D-Leethal
11-30-2014, 08:56 PM

Nobody would rather be the best in the D-League making 30K over the worst in the NBA league making 850K.

Goose17
12-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Nobody would rather be the best in the D-League making 30K over the worst in the NBA league making 850K.

Some people are in it for the game. Hard to believe I know but it does happen. Look at Nedovic. He just left the NBA (warriors) to be a starter (and probably a star) overseas.

Some guys just really want to play.

D-Leethal
12-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Some people are in it for the game. Hard to believe I know but it does happen. Look at Nedovic. He just left the NBA (warriors) to be a starter (and probably a star) overseas.

Some guys just really want to play.

Overseas contracts are comparable. There are bus boys that make more than D-League players. Nobody loves the game that much.

TrueFan420
12-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Overseas contracts are comparable. There are bus boys that make more than D-League players. Nobody loves the game that much.

Non of us can speak for the kid but maybe he sees the playing time at this developemental time in his career as more important than sitting at the end of the bench in the NBA. And more beneficial to him getting a better contract down the road.

JWO35
12-01-2014, 11:54 AM
The Top 5 Scorers in the D-League currently
1. Brady Heslip (34ppg)
2. Earl Clark (28ppg)
3. Manny Harris (27ppg)
4. Damien Wilkens (24ppg)
5. Seth Curry (24ppg)

The 4 guys behind Heslip all had multiple opportunities to prove their worth in the NBA, all were nothing more than deep rotational guys. Like someone said, D-League stats are fools gold. Seeing that he's young I'm sure if he keeps it up a team will give him shot though

2-ONE-5
12-01-2014, 11:56 AM

overseas contracts are worth way more than a d league contract. why do you think so many players opt to go over there instead?

Goose17
12-01-2014, 12:06 PM

I would play in the D-league for that money. Anyone outside of the NBA or top euroleagues probably would.

I second what TF said...

Non of us can speak for the kid but maybe he sees the playing time at this developmental time in his career as more important than sitting at the end of the bench in the NBA. And more beneficial to him getting a better contract down the road.

D-Leethal
12-01-2014, 01:23 PM
I would play in the D-league for that money. Anyone outside of the NBA or top euroleagues probably would.

I second what TF said...

Of course you would, but you wouldn't opt to play in the D-League with a 1% chance of making an NBA roster if you had the chance to make an NBA roster, even if that meant you were the 15th man on the NBA squad making 850K vs the superstar of the D-League scrubs making 30K.

I am saying, if this kid could make an NBA team, he would be there, he isn't sitting in the D-League because he decided he wants extensive playing time over a 15th man practice role.

Goose17
12-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Of course you would, but you wouldn't opt to play in the D-League with a 1% chance of making an NBA roster if you had the chance to make an NBA roster, even if that meant you were the 15th man on the NBA squad making 850K vs the superstar of the D-League scrubs making 30K.

I am saying, if this kid could make an NBA team, he would be there, he isn't sitting in the D-League because he decided he wants extensive playing time over a 15th man practice role.

He could still make it. Plenty of time. But like TF said, maybe he wants to stay in the d league so he can play more and develop his game quicker than he would sitting on an NBA bench getting 0 minutes per night.

tredigs
12-01-2014, 02:25 PM
He could still make it. Plenty of time. But like TF said, maybe he wants to stay in the d league so he can play more and develop his game quicker than he would sitting on an NBA bench getting 0 minutes per night.

If you think there's even a 1% chance he would/has turn(ed) down a call for his first opportunity to A) Play in the NBA and B) Make more money even on a 10 day contract than a year in the D League, you're sorely mistaken. These guys are in the D-League with the mythical wish to one day get that call from a team and get a chance to prove themselves. At the very least, a call up is a hell of a resume' builder before they give up on American ball and go oversees for some extra $.

There has never/will never be a D-League player who ignores an NBA call up.

Goose17
12-01-2014, 02:30 PM
If you think there's even a 1% chance he would/has turn(ed) down a call for his first opportunity to A) Play in the NBA and B) Make more money even on a 10 day contract than a year in the D League, you're sorely mistaken. These guys are in the D-League with the mythical wish to one day get that call from a team and get a chance to prove themselves. At the very least, a call up is a hell of a resume' builder before they give up on American ball and go oversees for some extra $.

There has never/will never be a D-League player who ignores an NBA call up.

I'm not saying he has. Just saying I would get it if he did.

Yay I'm called up! Oh I'm not getting any minutes?

If I was him would rather play 30 minutes a night in the d-league than sit on an NBA bench and never play.

That being said, I'm sure if he gets called up he'll jump at the opportunity and will be a bench player for a few games, get dropped, then get called up again and after that's happened a few times he might decide better to stick it out in the d-league until a better gig comes up other than sitting on a bench and doing nothing. (Probably playing overseas)

Raps18-19 Champ
12-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Because he doesn't belong in the NBA. If he gets a contract overseas, then it's worth it.

tredigs
12-01-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm not saying he has. Just saying I would get it if he did.

Yay I'm called up! Oh I'm not getting any minutes?

If I was him would rather play 30 minutes a night in the d-league than sit on an NBA bench and never play.

That being said, I'm sure if he gets called up he'll jump at the opportunity and will be a bench player for a few games, get dropped, then get called up again and after that's happened a few times he might decide better to stick it out in the d-league until a better gig comes up other than sitting on a bench and doing nothing. (Probably playing overseas)

Just like everyone, he'd still take the chance. For one, if they're giving him a call up it's because there is a need and a role for him to play. D-League call ups get a chance to prove themselves (even if it's just to fill an injury void and get sent back down once X player returns, it's the biggest opportunity of their life). And again, NBA money is just too ridiculous to pass up. These are guys who are driving around city to city on a bus making 20K a year. I assure you, they'd have no issue flying private, being treated to some of the worlds best facilities and practicing with the best of the best while making > half a million.

And frankly, it's possible it's contractually illegal to ignore an NBA call up if you play in the D-League. Not that it would ever need to be brought up. Guys in the mold that you're thinking about (good with the potential to be enough for a bottom NBA slot, but want more minutes) would play in Spain and make money, not the D-League.

beasted86
12-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Sometimes I read the discussions on here and just laugh... like, is this what common sense has come to in this country?

He's not in the D-League by his own choice. The mere fact he was with the Wolves and they cut him says that he wanted to be in the NBA, not the D-League. He didn't leave the Wolves to join the D-League, he was cut and is now trying to showcase his skills so another team takes a chance on him. This isn't like a Michael Beasley thing where he left a team by his own decision to get more money and play time in China.

But I like this approach better for this guy. It's better than being locked into a foreign league and tied down until March or whenever the season ends. But, seriously, nobody makes the conscious choice to make $30k instead of $507k for the exact same job, use common sense.

Goose17
12-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Just like everyone, he'd still take the chance. For one, if they're giving him a call up it's because there is a need and a role for him to play. D-League call ups get a chance to prove themselves (even if it's just to fill an injury void and get sent back down once X player returns, it's the biggest opportunity of their life). And again, NBA money is just too ridiculous to pass up. These are guys who are driving around city to city on a bus making 20K a year. I assure you, they'd have no issue flying private, being treated to some of the worlds best facilities and practicing with the best of the best while making > half a million.

And frankly, it's possible it's contractually illegal to ignore an NBA call up if you play in the D-League. Not that it would ever need to be brought up. Guys in the mold that you're thinking about (good with the potential to be enough for a bottom NBA slot, but want more minutes) would play in Spain and make money, not the D-League.

What are the odds he gets a 500k contract? He's probably getting a 10 day contract at best. Lol. But yeah, I'm not saying he wouldn't take the opportunity. In fact I clearly said he would. Just saying there is nothing wrong with choosen minutes over money. Anyone that truly loves the sport would do that IMHO.

If it was me I would rather earn 20-30K and be the MVP in the D-league eventually moving onto the euro league than be paid 500k to sit around court side and never play a minute for the rest of my life.

Each to their own though.

Goose17
12-01-2014, 03:16 PM
And its not against the rules to ignore a call up as far as I'm aware. You're not signed to any NBA franchise so you can't be forced into playing for one. Pretty sure nobody would turn it down though especially if it's their first deal or their last chance.

JustinTime
12-01-2014, 03:26 PM
What are the odds he gets a 500k contract? He's probably getting a 10 day contract at best. Lol. But yeah, I'm not saying he wouldn't take the opportunity. In fact I clearly said he would. Just saying there is nothing wrong with choosen minutes over money. Anyone that truly loves the sport would do that IMHO.

If it was me I would rather earn 20-30K and be the MVP in the D-league eventually moving onto the euro league than be paid 500k to sit around court side and never play a minute for the rest of my life.

Actually I saw an interview with him and I don't even think he's happy playing with Reno because their system doesn't give him a chance to work on his D.

tredigs
12-01-2014, 03:55 PM

Not sure where you're getting this "never play a minute for the rest of your life" mantra. D League call ups get a shot. Looked it up, and of the 37 call ups last year, 24 started the year still on an NBA roster.

I just think of it as, if you're crushing it an MVP level in the D League, why wouldn't you have the confidence in yourself to try to make it in the NBA? I'd take my chances working on my game alongside the best in the world while setting myself up for life, but to each their own.

Anyway, long story short: The answer is because no NBA team thinks they have a need for him at this time. Maybe he'll get a call later this week. But, as an undersized relatively unathletic 2 guard who can't pass or play D, he probably won't last.

Goose17
12-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Actually I saw an interview with him and I don't even think he's happy playing with Reno because their system doesn't give him a chance to work on his D.

That's a good sign. Was getting the impression he wasn't much for defense lol.

The system they run is definitely playing a part in his production imo. And it certainly doesn't allow for much defensively. They actually encourage letting the other team score over forcing shot clock violations, they want as many possessions as possible.

Goose17
12-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Not sure where you're getting this "never play a minute for the rest of your life" mantra. D League call ups get a shot. Looked it up, and of the 37 call ups last year, 24 started the year still on an NBA roster.

I just think of it as, if you're crushing it an MVP level in the D League, why wouldn't you have the confidence in yourself to try to make it in the NBA? I'd take my chances working on my game alongside the best in the world while setting myself up for life, but to each their own.

Anyway, long story short: The answer is because no NBA team thinks they have a need for him at this time. Maybe he'll get a call later this week. But, as an undersized relatively unathletic 2 guard who can't pass or play D, he probably won't last.

How many minutes did Dedmon play for us? 3? 4?

Haven't disagreed with much that you've said. Just saying I understand the other perspective of it. Two sides to every coin.

tredigs
12-01-2014, 04:12 PM
How many minutes did Dedmon play for us? 3? 4?

Haven't disagreed with much that you've said. Just saying I understand the other perspective of it. Two sides to every coin.

Yeah, but that was more of an issue of, "we just need somebody tall for these guys to practice with" with our injuries. Even still, Dedmon has parlayed that phone call to a 2 year contract with the Magic. He's now a millionaire and has played double digit minutes in a handful of NBA games this season. I'd say he's happy with his decision. Not bad for a guy who didn't touch a basketball 'til he was like 18 years old.

Goose17
12-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Yeah, but that was more of an issue of, "we just need somebody tall for these guys to practice with" with our injuries. Even still, Dedmon has parlayed that phone call to a 2 year contract with the Magic. He's now a millionaire and has played double digit minutes in a handful of NBA games this season. I'd say he's happy with his decision. Not bad for a guy who didn't touch a basketball 'til he was like 18 years old.

He likely would have gotten that deal without playing for us and showing off in the d-league more. D-league guys don't get minutes in the nba unless they're exceptional. Sorry but that's the truth.

bomber0104
12-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Had gym class with Heslip in high school here in Canada

i remember we used to warm up before every class shooting basketball

the dude just sat there taking 3s.. seemed like he never missed

makes u really appreciate how good these guys are