PDA

View Full Version : Your 2014-15 MVP: Stephen Curry

Knick_Fever
11-27-2014, 05:22 PM
STAT Line: 24.2 ppg, 7.7 apg, 5.5 rpg, 2.1 spg, 45 3P%, 50 FG%, 92 FT%.

Curry is leading a high powered offensive team to a 12-2 start and as long as he's healthy, I don't see him slowing down. His numbers are staggering and he is improving at a high rate. He's a superior playmaker, even though his brilliance with his shooting ability overlooks it. Stephen Curry is just scratching the surface, putting up ridiculous stat lines with high-level efficiency. He's not only the best point guard in the game, he will also be your 2014-15 most valuable player.

KnicksorBust
11-27-2014, 05:26 PM
I will admit it is possible. With Durant out of the running and the Cavs struggling it is the most open MVP field in a while.

HoopsDrive
11-27-2014, 05:32 PM
Before the season rolled I honestly didn't think this was possible... boy was I proved wrong.

tredigs
11-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Definitely the front runner, but we're not even in December. Calm down.

alexander_37
11-27-2014, 05:43 PM
This could literally go polar opposite in 2 weeks. Let's calm down, it's not like this is a sustainable pace.

KnicksorBust
11-27-2014, 05:48 PM
This could literally go polar opposite in 2 weeks. Let's calm down, it's not like this is a sustainable pace.

What are you talking about? He could easily sustain those numbers.

tredigs
11-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Yeah, not sure what is unsustainable there. I projected him on similar %'s putting up 27/4/9 this season. Right around there. Guy's only playing 32.8 mpg right now due to all the blowouts, too.

Blitzbolt
11-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Curry is just to soft he will get injured sooner or later. Either that or all his other soft teammate's (Bogut,Lee)will get injured hurting is record and chances.

Jamiecballer
11-27-2014, 06:01 PM
12-2? (snicker) that's nothing. Call me when you are 13-2 :)

Lowry.

Shady66
11-27-2014, 06:03 PM
He's gonna be top 5 all year, I could see him winning it actually

Htownballa1622
11-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Curry is just to soft he will get injured sooner or later. Either that or all his other soft teammate's (Bogut,Lee)will get injured hurting is record and chances.

You've got to be kidding.

Curry isn't soft at all. Dude plays tough. When he gets knocked down he dusts himself off and gets right back up.

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2014, 06:09 PM
I think you spelled his name wrong and the stats are a little off. First, his name is spelled: Anthony Davis.

And it's 24.9 points per game, on .565. shooting (.795 from the line), 11.2 rebounds a game, 3.4 blocks, 2.1 steals and 1.8 assists.

Close enough though ;-)

Blitzbolt
11-27-2014, 06:12 PM
You've got to be kidding.

Curry isn't soft at all. Dude plays tough. When he gets knocked down he dusts himself off and gets right back up.

I don't mean it that way when I say soft I mean it injury wise.

Jamiecballer
11-27-2014, 06:13 PM
I think you spelled his name wrong and the stats are a little off. First, his name is spelled: Anthony Davis.

And it's 24.9 points per game, on .565. shooting (.795 from the line), 11.2 rebounds a game, 3.4 blocks, 2.1 steals and 1.8 assists.

Close enough though ;-)
My choice as well

Htownballa1622
11-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Davis has been awesome but I don't see how he can win mvp if his team might not even make playoffs.

Htownballa1622
11-27-2014, 06:16 PM

ah I see but aside from early ankle injuries, I think he's been fine.

curtcocaine
11-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Davis has been awesome but I don't see how he can win mvp if his team might not even make playoffs.
Cough cough. Kevin Love.

moshy2
11-27-2014, 06:21 PM

Oh you mean the ankle injuries 3 years ago. Welcome to the present

tredigs
11-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Curry's also #2 in PER and #1 in VORP, Box +/- and WS/48. Even individually he definitely has an argument over AD/everyone. The team disparity is just what makes it a non-argument for MVP in the early going. And yeah, he's one of the more reliable guards in the game. Rarely misses a night.

We should just sticky that MVP discussion thread and keep it running. Always a fun thread.

jerellh528
11-27-2014, 06:22 PM
Curry's also #2 in PER and #1 in VORP, Box +/- and WS/48. Even individually he definitely has an argument over AD/everyone. The team disparity is just what makes it a non-argument for MVP in the early going.

We should just sticky that MVP discussion thread and keep it running. Always a fun thread.

Are you a gs fan?

Crackadalic
11-27-2014, 06:33 PM
I had Curry as my MVP pick before the season started and even before the OKC injuries.

If GS stays in the top 3 he's winning it

Right now Marc is in the running but after the season its Curry's

Miltstar
11-27-2014, 06:36 PM
there's a lot of time for Lebron to get back into the race... it's not what I want to see but I wouldn't bet against it... Kyle Lowry has 0 chance at MVP, Steph and AD will both be in the race to the end barring injury

FraziersKnicks
11-27-2014, 07:10 PM
CP3 is still the superior POINT GUARD but Curry is absolutely incredible. Massive fan of him as a player.

Him, CP3 and Anthony Davis are my 3a, 3b, 3c in the NBA right now.

Shammyguy3
11-27-2014, 07:16 PM
CP3 is still the superior POINT GUARD but Curry is absolutely incredible. Massive fan of him as a player.

Him, CP3 and Anthony Davis are my 3a, 3b, 3c in the NBA right now.

What does superior POINT GUARD actually entail? If all you mean by this is that he's a superior passer, then just say he's a better passer. A point guard has a lot more responsibility in today's game than dribble dribble pass pass

moshy2
11-27-2014, 07:30 PM
If they gave out 1/6 year MVP then yeah I say it's Curry. Got so many games left to play though; rarely does the leader at this point hang on. It's not how you start it's how you finish

MonroeFAN
11-27-2014, 08:04 PM
CP3 is not better than Stephen Curry.

ManningToTyree
11-27-2014, 08:12 PM
I also think curry has surpassed Paul at this point.

I'd still take Davis as MVP

alexander_37
11-27-2014, 08:59 PM
CP3 > Curry, sure he doesn't score like Curry but he effects the game in so many other ways.

DubbyDubbs
11-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Give me steph over cp. and that's based on second half of last year and this year thus far.

FraziersKnicks
11-27-2014, 09:03 PM
What does superior POINT GUARD actually entail? If all you mean by this is that he's a superior passer, then just say he's a better passer. A point guard has a lot more responsibility in today's game than dribble dribble pass pass

He runs the team better. He creates more opportunities for his team. He protects the ball better. He controls the tempo of the game better. He demonstrates a higher basketball IQ. All things that can't be measured by PER and VORP and box score +/-. Don't get me wrong, I think Curry and CP3 are actually very close as players but CP3 is the better floor general.

FraziersKnicks
11-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Steph is a highlight factory though. When he pulls up for those 30 foot heat checks, that's what people like seeing.

It influences peoples opinions a lot more than a 9.7/1.6 assist to turnover ratio.

Ezio
11-27-2014, 09:29 PM
I also think curry has surpassed Paul at this point.

I'd still take Davis as MVP

Needs a better record, I had Dirk as the MVP when Rose won it but Dallas record was bad due to Dirk missing a couple of weeks. By bad I mean not top of the conference.

Chrisclover
11-27-2014, 09:51 PM
Soft=injury-prone? Enlighten me.
IMO, it is easy for those who plays tough to get hurt, Rose, Kobe and T-Mac, etc.

Shammyguy3
11-27-2014, 09:54 PM
He runs the team better. He creates more opportunities for his team. He protects the ball better. He controls the tempo of the game better. He demonstrates a higher basketball IQ. All things that can't be measured by PER and VORP and box score +/-. Don't get me wrong, I think Curry and CP3 are actually very close as players but CP3 is the better floor general.

Curry's running the offense better in GSW right now than CP3 is in LAC. Curry's shooting/playmaking combo and ability to shoulder and demand the ball on offense (something CP3 has never done enough of imo) creates so many good opportunities for his teammates on the team. I concede CP3 takes care of the ball better, I'm not so sure he controls the tempo of the game better (i'd call it equal there, and this falls under "running the team" anyway).

Better floor general is fine if you think that, I think that entails much more than just passing though - it actually involves scoring, knowing when to score, and being able to control the floor (hey, floor general) in multiple ways (one of which is drawing double teams and forcing the defense to rotate)

Chronz
11-27-2014, 10:52 PM
STAT Line: 24.2 ppg, 7.7 apg, 5.5 rpg, 2.1 spg, 45 3P%, 50 FG%, 92 FT%.

Curry is leading a high powered offensive team to a 12-2 start and as long as he's healthy, I don't see him slowing down. His numbers are staggering and he is improving at a high rate. He's a superior playmaker, even though his brilliance with his shooting ability overlooks it. Stephen Curry is just scratching the surface, putting up ridiculous stat lines with high-level efficiency. He's not only the best point guard in the game, he will also be your 2014-15 most valuable player.

High powered offensive team? Do you mean when Curry is on the floor only, would like to see those numbers.

Chronz
11-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Curry's running the offense better in GSW right now than CP3 is in LAC.
How would we even determine that? The Clippers offense has been more efficient despite slow starts from everyone but Crawford. If we're solely looking at the teams success with them on the floor, they have identical numbers there as well. Curry has the better numbers but CP3 has been revving it up lately. I dont expect CP3 to sustain his historic efficiency so its a moot point, but I do think hes the better floor general.

kobe4thewinbang
11-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Sure...why not. Kind of getting tired of LBJ winning it all the time. Curry is fantastic this year.
Especially if he adds another assist or two per game like last year.

Still wide open, though. I think Chris Paul might turn LAC around, or Durant might save OKC.

JasonJohnHorn
11-28-2014, 12:18 AM
CP3 is not better than Stephen Curry.

I think CP3 is better than Curry, but both guys are great. I love CP3 on the defensive end, and the way he mentors and pushes players. That kind of leadership in invaluable. Curry doesn't have that yet.

On the floor, CP3 is a FAR better play maker and clearly better defensively (though that isn't to suggest that Curry is bad). Curry is the better shooter, obviously, but if I'm going into the playoffs with one or the other this season, I'd want it to be CP3.

Curry is definitely closing the gap though.

likemystylez
11-28-2014, 12:38 AM
Sure...why not. Kind of getting tired of LBJ winning it all the time. Curry is fantastic this year.
Especially if he adds another assist or two per game like last year.

Still wide open, though. I think Chris Paul might turn LAC around, or Durant might save OKC.

See this is gonna be a weird stat for curry- he is actually passing the ball a lot. The assist numbers to look quite as high because the warriors as a team are moving the ball a lot. It isnt just one guy breaking down the defense and kicking it out. LOL- so on different nights- different players are going to be having big assist numbers. LOL bogut had 7 in the first half yesterday. klays assist numbers are up, barnes are up, Greens are up. I think iggy will have some big assist games this year as well as david lee when he returns.

If you want to look at a stat for curry to improve- look for his turnovers to go down and for him to become an even more efficient player.

likemystylez
11-28-2014, 12:39 AM
I think CP3 is better than Curry, but both guys are great. I love CP3 on the defensive end, and the way he mentors and pushes players. That kind of leadership in invaluable. Curry doesn't have that yet.

On the floor, CP3 is a FAR better play maker and clearly better defensively (though that isn't to suggest that Curry is bad). Curry is the better shooter, obviously, but if I'm going into the playoffs with one or the other this season, I'd want it to be CP3.

Curry is definitely closing the gap though.

play off game or regular season- I take steph curry when hes on his A game over chris paul on his A game without hesitation

ILLUSIONIST^248
11-28-2014, 12:56 AM
Westbrook/Curry
Cp3

moshy2
11-28-2014, 01:05 AM
I still got CP3 ahead of Curry even as a Warriors fan. Curry has been better this year but it needs to be longer than 14 games before Curry can be crowned. His defense is much better this year and his turnovers have gone down lately after starting the season with a high rate. I'm confident he can keep up this pace, but CP3 has been doing it for too long to lose the spot yet.

tredigs
11-28-2014, 01:11 AM
CP3 has just disappointed me too much lately not to buy into Curry being better than him. I used to trust Paul to be able to flip the switch and dominate, but I don't quite have that same feeling on his game any longer. His Asst:TO is amazing right now (though not sustainable), and I still think he is in his prime without a doubt, but Curry just absolutely dominates games and has a level to his game that even CP3 can't reach right now in my opinion.

Statistically, it's Curry by a wide margin right now at the PG position this season, but like I said in my 1st post, this is beyond premature (for MVP talk or otherwise).

ethanshire93
11-28-2014, 01:12 AM
I definitely agree with Curry being the favourite for MVP. He's got the numbers and the impact to go along with panache and a media-friendly market that Marc Gasol will lose to every time. And I'm not saying that to suggest things are unfair -- it's just a more "typical" narrative for MVP (See Steve Nash).

tredigs
11-28-2014, 01:18 AM
For reference, Curry's WS/48 is at .322. If that maintained it would tie for the 2nd highest in MVP history (greater than MJ's peak season, and just shy of KAJ's record). To say he's playing at an elite MVP level and deserving of the award in the dawn of the debate is an understatement. He's crushing and has the cast around him to potentially reach that goal this year.

Fun fact: Dude who writes for NBA.com's MVP ranking has Curry at #8. 4 spots behind Klay Thompson. Can't make it up.

naps
11-28-2014, 01:37 AM
Either him or AD. AD won't get simply because he plays in the west and pelicans won't be seeded top enough for him to get it. But calm down with this though. As soon as LeBron puts up a few monster games and Cavs start settling down a bit, it will be LeBron.

FraziersKnicks
11-28-2014, 02:37 AM
Better floor general is fine if you think that, I think that entails much more than just passing though - it actually involves scoring, knowing when to score, and being able to control the floor (hey, floor general) in multiple ways (one of which is drawing double teams and forcing the defense to rotate)

In my years of watching basketball I have never seen someone do this as well as CP3. Knowing when to take over (and how to take over), whether he takes his man down on the block or uses on ball screens to set up open mid range jumpers for himself, this is one of the things CP3 excels at.

You make it sound as if CP3's real name is Rajon Rondo. The guy can score with the best of them, he just isn't a high volume scorer anymore (unless he needs to be). 19 PPG on 53/43/85 actually puts him quite close to Curry in terms of scoring efficiency (62.8 TS% compared to Curry's 65.3%). When you factor into that he turns the ball over 1.6 times compared to Curry who turns it over 3.4 times a game I think it shows Paul is more adept at controlling the floor and scoring when he needs to.

I still think Curry's preference for the flashy home run play is what separates them. I've seen him turn the ball over numerous times attempting that left handed hook pass off the dribble and pull up for a 25 foot heat check with 18 seconds left on the shot clock a few too many times for my liking. That's not really what I want from my point guard. I'm not saying it makes him a bad player, just not quite the point guard Chris Paul is.

FraziersKnicks
11-28-2014, 02:43 AM
For reference, Curry's WS/48 is at .322. If that maintained it would tie for the 2nd highest in MVP history (greater than MJ's peak season, and just shy of KAJ's record). To say he's playing at an elite MVP level and deserving of the award in the dawn of the debate is an understatement. He's crushing and has the cast around him to potentially reach that goal this year.

Fun fact: Dude who writes for NBA.com's MVP ranking has Curry at #8. 4 spots behind Klay Thompson. Can't make it up.

I find it very hard to see him sustaining those WS/48 numbers... AD was cruising along at about .35 WS/48 and had a week where he average 26 & 10 with 1.5 steals and 2 blocks and shot 53% and his WS/48 is now .317.

It is virtually impossible to maintain a score that high unless you are the elite of the elite.

tredigs
11-28-2014, 02:54 AM
I find it very hard to see him sustaining those WS/48 numbers... AD was cruising along at about .35 WS/48 and had a week where he average 26 & 10 with 1.5 steals and 2 blocks and shot 53% and his WS/48 is now .317.

It is virtually impossible to maintain a score that high unless you are the elite of the elite.

I would agree that I think it will be tough for him to maintain one of the greatest statistical seasons of all time. My point was that he has certainly earned his keep as top dog for the time being.

Though also, when he and the starting unit potentially stop blowing everyone out, he will get a few more mpg that will add to his box-score stats (which per-36 are a bit more ridiculous).

Chronz
11-28-2014, 03:02 AM
Happy thx givin mofos

tredigs
11-28-2014, 03:12 AM
You too buddy. I had to work earlier tonight and only get to see the fam once this year, so you guys count your blessings if you're home with the OG loved ones.

What a I really want to see is how the voters will react to Westbrook and/or KD when they come back sometime next week. We know that a 7th-8th seed is normally a no-go for MVP ballots, but being that the West is widely recognized as being as tough a conference as at any time in history to make the playoffs, it could make it interesting if they find their way all the way back (if they don't steal too much of each others thunder...).

GritGrind7
11-28-2014, 03:39 AM
I put Curry, Gasol, Davis, Lebron as the candidates this year.

curtcocaine
11-28-2014, 10:52 AM
Westbrook/Curry
Cp3
Westbrook over cp3 lmfao....Laker fans are 3x krazy

likemystylez
11-28-2014, 10:58 AM
I put Curry, Gasol, Davis, Lebron as the candidates this year.

hard to put lebron or davis in there- Davis will either miss the playoffs or his team will get like the 8th seed- guys on those teams usually dont win it. (basically hes the best player on the middle of the pack team). Lebron will probably get the cavs playing a little bit better- but the expectations were so high for that team (fair or not)- lebron cant finish in like the 4th or 5th spot in a conference so weak that the bucks are even in the top 5. (I dont think the bucks could be a top 5 team in the d league- but lol in the eastern conference)

curtcocaine
11-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Id take cp3 over curry1w if he was yonger. curry is the future face of the pg's.

likemystylez
11-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Id take cp3 over curry1w if he was yonger. curry is the future face of the pg's.

IM actually really starting to like john wall- LOL ironically im a warriors fan and wall is almost the mirror opposite of curry in his strengths

rhino17
11-28-2014, 11:05 AM
If Davis can some how find his way to 5 seed, maybe even a 6 seed in the west, I think its his award to lose

but I'm not sure how likely that is, so if that doesn't happen

Its a season long battle between Steph, Harden, and maybe Marc for whoever gets the best record

likemystylez
11-28-2014, 11:11 AM
If Davis can some how find his way to 5 seed, maybe even a 6 seed in the west, I think its his award to lose

but I'm not sure how likely that is, so if that doesn't happen

Its a season long battle between Steph, Harden, and maybe Marc for whoever gets the best record

when was the last time a team outside of the top 3 or 4 in their conference had an MVP- heck they usually wont even have mvp candidates.

ewing
11-28-2014, 11:13 AM
In my years of watching basketball I have never seen someone do this as well as CP3. Knowing when to take over (and how to take over), whether he takes his man down on the block or uses on ball screens to set up open mid range jumpers for himself, this is one of the things CP3 excels at.

You make it sound as if CP3's real name is Rajon Rondo. The guy can score with the best of them, he just isn't a high volume scorer anymore (unless he needs to be). 19 PPG on 53/43/85 actually puts him quite close to Curry in terms of scoring efficiency (62.8 TS% compared to Curry's 65.3%). When you factor into that he turns the ball over 1.6 times compared to Curry who turns it over 3.4 times a game I think it shows Paul is more adept at controlling the floor and scoring when he needs to.

I still think Curry's preference for the flashy home run play is what separates them. I've seen him turn the ball over numerous times attempting that left handed hook pass off the dribble and pull up for a 25 foot heat check with 18 seconds left on the shot clock a few too many times for my liking. That's not really what I want from my point guard. I'm not saying it makes him a bad player, just not quite the point guard Chris Paul is.

the only knock i have on CP3 is I don't think he asserts himself enough since coming to the clips. Its like he has too much firepower around him.

ewing
11-28-2014, 11:16 AM
IM actually really starting to like john wall- LOL ironically im a warriors fan and wall is almost the mirror opposite of curry in his strengths

i am not sold on Wall as being among the elite of the elite yet. He not good enough in a grind it out game. We saw it last year in the playoffs. Beal was clearly their best perimeter player

curtcocaine
11-28-2014, 11:20 AM
i am not sold on Wall as being among the elite of the elite yet. He not good enough in a grind it out game. We saw it last year in the playoffs. Beal was clearly their best perimeter player
Lillard over wall....

ewing
11-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Lillard over wall....

all day

rhino17
11-28-2014, 11:55 AM
when was the last time a team outside of the top 3 or 4 in their conference had an MVP- heck they usually wont even have mvp candidates.

I think considering how strong the west is, a 5 seed in the west is not a typical 5 seed in years past (could be 1 seed in east), he could potentially make an mvp run in that scenario

likemystylez
11-28-2014, 12:47 PM
I think considering how strong the west is, a 5 seed in the west is not a typical 5 seed in years past (could be 1 seed in east), he could potentially make an mvp run in that scenario

LOL but couldnt the same be said for the number 1-4 seeds- they are fighting in that same western conference

also- 5th seed might not even be realistic for the pelicans- I think theyre ceiling is 7th and they could just as easily finish 10th

Jamiecballer
11-28-2014, 01:34 PM

if he get's his turnovers under control he becomes a much better player. right now that's what keeps him out of the upper tier of PG's right now for me.