PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting the Affalo/Fournier trade.

nycericanguy
11-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Alot of people, myself included thought ORL didn't get enough in return for AAA. But Fournier has been really impressive, I've seen him in about 5 games and he's often one of the best players on the court.

Affalo has been decent. But Fournier is 22 and locked into a rookie deal. He's even been better than Oladipo was his rookie year.

ORL quietly is building a power house over there, people initially thought they got hosed in the Howard trade as well, but Vucevic is a beast. They also got Tobias Harris for renting JJ Reddick to MIL who was leaving anyway.

ORL's GM deserves major props. Personally I think ORL is the best young team in the league...

5ass
11-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Rob really has an eye for talent. He's going to have a long successful career in this league im sure. I love how he built this team.

Blink
11-26-2014, 01:10 PM
Yeah Orlando is looking pretty damn solid. One great player away from taking off

pebloemer
11-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Alot of people, myself included thought ORL didn't get enough in return for AAA. But Fournier has been really impressive, I've seen him in about 5 games and he's often one of the best players on the court.

Affalo has been decent. But Fournier is 22 and locked into a rookie deal. He's even been better than Oladipo was his rookie year.

ORL quietly is building a power house over there, people initially thought they got hosed in the Howard trade as well, but Vucevic is a beast. They also got Tobias Harris for renting JJ Reddick to MIL who was leaving anyway.

ORL's GM deserves major props. Personally I think ORL is the best young team in the league...

Fournier has taken off nicely in Orlando to start the year. But I'm not sure what the purpose is behind comparing Fournier's 3rd NBA season (albeit his rookie year was only 38 games) to Oladipo's rookie year.

Overall, Magic do have a nice young nucleus forming there.

Stunner
11-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Afflalo should have been a bull :(

rapjuicer06
11-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Only thing I haven't cared for what the GM has done is draft Gordon and sign Frye. Other than that, Have liked everything he has done

nycericanguy
11-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Fournier has taken off nicely in Orlando to start the year. But I'm not sure what the purpose is behind comparing Fournier's 3rd NBA season (albeit his rookie year was only 38 games) to Oladipo's rookie year.

Overall, Magic do have a nice young nucleus forming there.

they are getting lottery type production was my point. Fournier might be a 3rd year player but he didn't play much in DEN and he's much younger than most 3rd year guys.

pebloemer
11-26-2014, 01:35 PM
they are getting lottery type production was my point. Fournier might be a 3rd year player but he didn't play much in DEN and he's much younger than most 3rd year guys.

I see. I've only watched Orlando's 2 games against the Raptors this year and both games Fournier impressed me. I also get comfort in seeing another one of Ujiri's late 1st rounders becoming an impact player. Hopefully he can continue to find talent late in drafts while he is with us in Toronto.

North Yorker
11-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Love Orlando's core. Have potentially elite defenders in Oladipo/Elfrid/Gordon, an inside/outside game from their bigs of Vuc/Frye, and wing players that are starting to figure it out.

Them and Utah are both probably a year away from playoff contention.

Miltstar
11-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Love Orlando's core. Have potentially elite defenders in Oladipo/Elfrid/Gordon, an inside/outside game from their bigs of Vuc/Frye, and wing players that are starting to figure it out.

Them and Utah are both probably a year away from playoff contention.

I think Orlando could sneak into the 8 spot this year in the east... but that isn't really saying a whole lot

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Orlando needs a legit star to emerge. They have nice, young pieces though.

macc
11-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Good to see Orlando get noticed. EF has been a pleasant surprise. I don't think any Magic fan thought he would be as good as he is. Vuc has been beasting I this year. He's always had the rebounding down it his offense took a big jump. He has some good option post moves but his mid range jumper is as good as anyone's in the league, seriously, when he misses I'm surprised.

JEDean89
11-26-2014, 07:53 PM
As a Denver fan I like Fournier a lot, but for a team trying to compete for a chip, Afflalo is still the much better player. Fournier is not a good defender and has had some stretches where I really questioned his mental confidence. He seems to have gotten stronger, his handle has tightened and his shot is better than ever, but this was a trade that really worked for both teams. Nuggets got an above average 2 way player, Magic got another prospect that they can try and make work for the long haul. When Payton gets up to speed, Fournier will come off the bench, the Magic will be a really nice team in like 2 years.

THE MTL
11-27-2014, 12:43 AM
I would never trade with Orlando Magic if i was anyone else. They have consistently traded the more talented player only to rape the team like bandits lol

canzano55
11-27-2014, 12:57 AM
I think Tobias Harris is really underrated as well. The kid is super athletic and really starring to expand his range.

Stunner
11-27-2014, 12:59 AM
I think Tobias Harris is really underrated as well. The kid is super athletic and really starring to expand his range.

Some team might steal him away in free agency

5ass
11-27-2014, 01:18 AM
Some team might steal him away in free agency

If someone offers the max I'd probably let him go, but of course let's see how he plays the whole season first. Too early to make that call. He does have high potential though considering he's still 22.

Stunner
11-27-2014, 01:43 AM
If someone offers the max I'd probably let him go, but of course let's see how he plays the whole season first. Too early to make that call. He does have high potential though considering he's still 22.

Team like LA or the Raps could get him I think . Wait do the raps have cap space ?

5ass
11-27-2014, 01:59 AM
Yes they have 48 mill in salary

Stunner
11-27-2014, 02:19 AM
Yes they have 48 mill in salary

That would be a great spot for him then

SF8
11-27-2014, 06:57 AM
Orlando is good at trades and drafting but their still bad at signing free agents.

Overpaid for Frye, and Gordon.

*Superman*
11-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Orlando is good at trades and drafting but their still bad at signing free agents.

Overpaid for Frye, and Gordon.

Gordon shouldn't even really count. At the end of the day you need to fill out your roster and add some veteran presence when you have a ton of youth. Frye was brought in to help stretch the floor, which he has done when he's playing good and he seems like a guy who has a winning attitude which this team didn't really have before. Even though hindsight is 20/20 I would have rather resigned Ryan Anderson, but it didn't make financial sense just after we traded away Dwight.

TrueFan420
11-28-2014, 07:54 PM
That would be a great spot for him then

I think the raps are very high on ross tho. I think if anything they look to upgrade PF/C.

5ass
11-29-2014, 02:32 PM
As a Denver fan I like Fournier a lot, but for a team trying to compete for a chip, Afflalo is still the much better player. Fournier is not a good defender and has had some stretches where I really questioned his mental confidence. He seems to have gotten stronger, his handle has tightened and his shot is better than ever, but this was a trade that really worked for both teams. Nuggets got an above average 2 way player, Magic got another prospect that they can try and make work for the long haul. When Payton gets up to speed, Fournier will come off the bench, the Magic will be a really nice team in like 2 years.

Agreed, it worked out for both teams. Nuggets wanted to win now, got a better fit for their coach. Magic are looking at the future, and aren't willing to pay him big money when his deal expires. Fournier is just a much better fit for us. His defense is bad at times, but most times he's a smart willing defender. Between Payton, oladipo and harkless we'll find ways to cover his weaknesses. I liked him since I first looked him up before he was drafted. Loved him in that stretch in his rookie year. I said it the day the trade went down, I think his floor is an afflalo level player, ceiling is Manu ginobili. Now I'm not saying that he's likely to reach that ceiling, but its possible. George Karl is one of the best offensive coaches of all time, and he doesn't really like to play rookies I believe. Fournier still made his way into the starting line up by the play offs.

Stunner
11-29-2014, 02:38 PM
I think the raps are very high on ross tho. I think if anything they look to upgrade PF/C.

Harris can actually play PF too

TrueFan420
11-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Harris can actually play PF too

Maybe in small doses but he's not an every day PF

D-Leethal
11-29-2014, 02:58 PM
If Hayward got the max I see no reason Harris won't. Dude is a stud and putting up #1 option numbers this year. I would invest in him in the long haul if I was Orlando. They have most of their pieces in place - they just need to grow together. I like their future more than Utah's. I'm not convinced Utah has a winning formula unless their new PG turns into an absolute stud. The money they invested in Favors-Hayward-Burks tells me they think that trio will be a winning team soon. I can't see them cracking the playoffs in the west even at their peak.

Cracka2HI!
12-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Tobias Harris is the big key for this team. I think he will get a max contract. I don't think he's close to a max player. The team probably has enough talent as a young team to let him go but they would be closer to getting somewhere if they could keep him. That said keeping him at the max would be crippling IMO. He has tons of upside but his reality is probably something like Thad Young. If they can keep him for similar money to Thad I think they'd be very happy. There is also that thing about him getting more money to play in NY, LA or CHI.