PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances of New Orleans making the playoffs?

Vampirate
11-25-2014, 01:22 PM
They arguably have the toughest schedule in the nba out of all the good teams. They must face their own divisional teams 12 times who are all .600 or better and would probably win 50 games to get the 8th seed in the west. Do you think they could do it?

TrueFan420
11-25-2014, 01:45 PM
Maybe but I think they come up short this year

jaydubb
11-25-2014, 01:51 PM
They still miss the playoffs imo

Miltstar
11-25-2014, 02:03 PM
about 50/50 IMO... they need one of their 2 guards to start showing some consistency

JEDean89
11-25-2014, 06:13 PM
3 really good teams will miss the playoffs in the west.

kobe4thewinbang
11-25-2014, 08:43 PM
3 really good teams will miss the playoffs in the west.And yet 6 pretenders in the east will make the playoffs. I say next year the Pelicans will make the playoffs.

MTar786
11-25-2014, 08:46 PM
pelicans will get the 8th seed i think

Sly Guy
11-25-2014, 09:06 PM
if they don't make it, they'll sure be in the race. I say about 50-50 right now, but the way they look, I'm thinking it's more likely they make it than don't

Sactown
11-28-2014, 06:01 PM
I don't like their odds personally, I don't think they have the depth to find continually success when the season begins to drag on and they see injuries and players becoming tired. I just don't like a team that has John Salmons and Austin Rivers coming off of their bench.

SF8
11-28-2014, 06:03 PM
I don't even think their better than Phoenix.

Tony_Starks
11-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Slim to none....

Vampirate
11-28-2014, 08:00 PM
And yet 6 pretenders in the east will make the playoffs. I say next year the Pelicans will make the playoffs.

The term pretender is aimed at teams who are doing well but don't have what it takes to win a title, the Raptors are pretenders for example.

Most of the teams in the Eastern conference are not even pretenders, they are just the least crap out of all the crap teams.

Instead of being ****, they are piss.

leprechaun5
11-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Slim to none....

x2

M.I.A.
11-28-2014, 08:09 PM
They arguably have the toughest schedule in the nba out of all the good teams. They must face their own divisional teams 12 times who are all .600 or better and would probably win 50 games to get the 8th seed in the west. Do you think they could do it?

They could but I doubt they will.

Vinny642
11-28-2014, 09:49 PM
As a Pelican fan, probably not, but yet if we were in the East with a whole new schedule to fit that, we would be 4th seed

M.I.A.
11-28-2014, 10:05 PM
As a Pelican fan, probably not, but yet if we were in the East with a whole new schedule to fit that, we would be 4th seed

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts oh what a Christmas you'd have.

Iron24th
11-29-2014, 01:59 AM
They'll finish 10th seed at best

likemystylez
11-29-2014, 02:52 AM
And yet 6 pretenders in the east will make the playoffs. I say next year the Pelicans will make the playoffs.

impossible to tell- what if anthony davis has a paul george injury or something

Sean Moore
11-29-2014, 03:24 AM
More likely than not they won't make it. Another few years and they will fore sure though. Maybe even next year.

GoferKing_
11-29-2014, 08:39 AM
West is a powerhouse, 12 teams fighting for PO.

Mr. Baller
11-29-2014, 01:45 PM
None.

likemystylez
11-29-2014, 02:16 PM
None.

wouldnt say none because they are playing well enough to compete every night- but one or 2 teams is going to have to fall (maybe a paul george injury or 2 to key players)

Mr. Baller
11-29-2014, 02:16 PM
wouldnt say none because they are playing well enough to compete every night- but one or 2 teams is going to have to fall (maybe a paul george injury or 2 to key players)

They have no depth and the worst coach in the NBA. No shot at making it

M.I.A.
11-29-2014, 02:27 PM
West is a powerhouse, 12 teams fighting for PO.

Sucks to be in the west.

flea
11-29-2014, 02:41 PM
Barring major injuries, I see Grizzlies, Spurs, Clippers, Warriors, and Mavs definitely in. For the last 3, it's Rockets, Pelicans, Suns, Kings, Nuggets, Blazers and Thunder. It's tough but 3 of those will be out. The Rockets, Thunder, and Pelicans have serious depth issues but are the most talented while the Suns, Kings, and Nuggets appear to be the most well-rounded teams 1-8.

I'm a Pels fan so you can call me a homer but I thought we'd get the 8 seed before the season and I still think so. The team has looked promising early, and remember this is really the first time they've all played together. Last season was a mess with significant injuries to just about everyone, and of course Asik is new.

Rockets fan may whine, as they are want to do, but I picked them out of the playoffs before the season. No depth, knee troubles for Dwight, and an offense that doesn't look anywhere near as daunting without Parsons and Lin have me skeptical of their early record (and quality of opponents).

For the last 3 in, I'm going Thunder, Pelicans, and Kings. Before the season I would have said Suns but I think the Kings are more talented and have as good depth - their wings have really come around in the early part of the season. For the Suns, I just don't trust a Morris Twins frontcourt. I also don't think Isaiah Thomas really does much for that team - they'd be better off giving more minutes to Green/Tucker and capable bigs than running out 3 point guards in a lineup.

EDIT: Crap I forgot Blazers. They also have depth issues but I like the experience their unit has together, so I think they make it. Kaman has looked good so far, but I worry about all their lumbering bigs come playoffs (the Griz bigs shredded them last night). Still, I think they make it. Sorry Kings. You are improved but you are out in my scenario.

likemystylez
11-30-2014, 12:21 AM
note to pelicans- west playoff teams look at games against eastern conference teams as free ones- they dont throw them away like the pelicans did with washington

mightybosstone
11-30-2014, 12:49 AM
There's a lot of unknowns at this point, but if I had to put money on it, I'm keeping the Pelicans out of the playoffs. Barring a major injury or collapse later in the season, I think Memphis, Golden State, Houston, Portland, San Antonio, Dallas and Clippers are all pretty likely to make the playoffs. That's seven teams. If OKC finds a way to get healthy and go on a ridiculous run, they're probably in, too.

One of those teams would have to fall off for New Orleans to get in, and I don't think the Pelicans are better or even on par with any of those squads. New Orleans would either need a particular player or players to step up and play out of their minds outside of Davis, a major injury or collapse by at least one playoff team and/or some big time trades that shake up the conference. Without any of those, the Pelicans will not make the playoffs this season.

Sadds The Gr8
11-30-2014, 02:40 AM
Almost none. I wanted to pick them as a surprise 8 seed before the season but I couldn't. West is too good.

ballpd05
11-30-2014, 10:27 AM
I am a Pelicans fan, and I do not think we will make. Our guards are too inconsistent, and we got 3 decent ones (Tyreke Evans, Eric Gordon, Jrue Holiday). If we can get one or all of those guys going on a consistent basis we will be good. I do not see it though. I watch all these close games we lose and it just seems like down the stretch we have a harder time closing, especially against the playoff contenders.

Btw, if we do not make the playoffs this year Monty needs to go and so does Dell Demps. We really have no real identity and we keep trading all our first rounders.

MonroeFAN
11-30-2014, 10:51 PM

That is poor logic. You guys are 7-8, and you don't have that great of a roster. The fact that playoffs are on the mind of your fan base shows that you guys need to temper your expectations.

mau2392
12-01-2014, 12:50 AM
The Pelicans are an up and coming team, but they're still lacking another star player to play along side AD. Jrue Holiday is not playing like an all-star, and Tyreke and Eric Gordon have been pretty average. Jimmer Fredette, Austing Rivers, Ajinca, and Withey are not players that should come off the bench for a playoff caliber team. They're relying on 21 yr old player who as amazing he has been throughout the first month of the season he is still lacking the leadership and the experience to lead a team to the playoffs. I do not think they're going to make it to the playoffs this year, but if they can maintain the core of this season's team, and if they add a big FA this summer then they should be in the playsoffs in 2016