PDA

View Full Version : Lebron James Appreciation

Tony_Starks
11-25-2014, 12:43 PM
We all know Lebron catches a lot of basketball criticism. The decision(s).
Playoff let downs...etc. Some rightfully so, some hate.

BUT he deserves a lot of credit. He spoke out intelligently on the Mike Brown situation, he also called attention to the Trayvon Martin murder when that happened. For the face of the league to do that it takes a lot of conviction. MJ famously didn't even dare touch social issues. Kobe doesn't. Most superstars won't for fear of jeopardizing endorsements and alienating an audience.

Lebron should get nothing but respect and props for that.

ghettosean
11-25-2014, 01:02 PM
We all know Lebron catches a lot of basketball criticism. The decision(s).
Playoff let downs...etc. Some rightfully so, some hate.

BUT he deserves a lot of credit. He spoke out intelligently on the Mike Brown situation, he also called attention to the Trayvon Martin murder when that happened. For the face of the league to do that it takes a lot of conviction. MJ famously didn't even dare touch social issues. Kobe doesn't. Most superstars won't for fear of jeopardizing endorsements and alienating an audience.

Lebron should get nothing but respect and props for that.

To the bolded all the front office of Miami called attention to this... They all wore hoods in solidarity or something like that.

2-ONE-5
11-25-2014, 01:05 PM
who gives a flying ****, seriously? These guys are pro bball players and most are incredibly unitelligent so i could care less what they think about anything going on in the world.

Tony_Starks
11-25-2014, 01:07 PM
To the bolded all the front office of Miami called attention to this... They all wore hoods in solidarity or something like that.

I remember the hoody pic but apparently he was the ring leader on that one. He also spoke about it instead of just dodging the question or giving a PC answer. Good stuff.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-25-2014, 01:18 PM
LeBron is a terrible human being.

Tony_Starks
11-25-2014, 01:40 PM
LeBron is a terrible human being.

Lol don't start that man! You know Laker fans can't start that.....

Miltstar
11-25-2014, 02:11 PM
He loves drawing attention to himself, if he thinks it could benefit him he will do it... don't think any otherwise very selfish human being

ILLUSIONIST^248
11-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Yay bron

Chronz
11-25-2014, 02:39 PM
who gives a flying ****, seriously? These guys are pro bball players and most are incredibly unitelligent so i could care less what they think about anything going on in the world.
Lol, im sure that's mostly true and all but these guys do have some political pull. However insignificant i don't know, people made a pretty big deal back when Wilt was backing Nixon, but i guess those were far different times. They Still have a voice and some fans respect hearing it

bledrules
11-25-2014, 03:03 PM

Absolutely correct great post!!

Slug3
11-25-2014, 03:42 PM
As a Heat fan I still can appreciate Lebron and his greatness. But lets get something straight, he is at his peak right in the middle of the social media time. Kobe really was not in his peak, and if you didn't have cable back when Jordan played you don't know anything he said or really did. Different times mean different things.

JV35
11-25-2014, 03:47 PM
But lets get something straight, he is at his peak right in the middle of the social media time.

Also, even if LeBron is as stupid (and, inarticulate) as a rock--he can just hire people to write his social media posts for him.

jerellh528
11-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Don't even get me started on trayvon and mike brown. Not the right angle to use to show Lebron is an intelligent person hahah

Tony_Starks
11-25-2014, 04:06 PM

Are you doing IQ test bro? If so please let me know who are the smartest and least intelligent players in the game that you get entertainment from and post comments about.....

albertajaysfan
11-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Are you doing IQ test bro? If so please let me know who are the smartest and least intelligent players in the game that you get entertainment from and post comments about.....

Just because we watch the game and comment on it doesn't mean we should take anything more from the players.

I also don't think one or two incidents justify respecting someone. Looking at the entire picture makes way more sense to me. When I look at the entire picture I respect Lebron only as a basketball player for his amazing skillset. Just like with Kobe I respect him as a basketball player because of his amazing drive and determination.

In terms of Lebron as a person, he strikes me as an attention whore. Those types of people I have little use for but that is because of my personal beliefs and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Slug3
11-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Just because we watch the game and comment on it doesn't mean we should take anything more from the players.

I also don't think one or two incidents justify respecting someone. Looking at the entire picture makes way more sense to me. When I look at the entire picture I respect Lebron only as a basketball player for his amazing skillset. Just like with Kobe I respect him as a basketball player because of his amazing drive and determination.

In terms of Lebron as a person, he strikes me as an attention whore. Those types of people I have little use for but that is because of my personal beliefs and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The thing is, me, you and whoever else adults can look at Lebron and what he says and just not care or something. There literally are kids out there that 100% look up to Lebron and will repeat and do just about anything Lebron does. Kids did it with Jordan so its bound to happen.

Hawkeye15
11-25-2014, 04:23 PM
The thing is, me, you and whoever else adults can look at Lebron and what he says and just not care or something. There literally are kids out there that 100% look up to Lebron and will repeat and do just about anything Lebron does. Kids did it with Jordan so its bound to happen.

which is why when Barkley came out with his, "athletes are not role models" slogan, most disagreed. They may not choose to be, but they are.

D-Leethal
11-25-2014, 05:39 PM
What did he say about this situation? Was it as uninformed as the rest of the crap I've seen from the rest of the athletes on Twitter?

Vinylman
11-25-2014, 06:27 PM
why is this a thread?

oh yeah... its PSD... let the LBJ suck off begin

Slug3
11-25-2014, 06:30 PM
What did he say about this situation? Was it as uninformed as the rest of the crap I've seen from the rest of the athletes on Twitter?

Pretty much, but he did state that rioting and burning things down is not the way to get answers.

Sactown
11-25-2014, 06:57 PM
In a time of athletes being in and out of trouble for spousal abuse , child abuse, and substance abuse, and with no privacy in their lives we should honestly respect athletes who continue to stay out of the spotlight for immoral actions ..

However you feel about Lebrons ability to play basketball or your opinion on whether he excessively flops or not, we should all be able to agree that he stands in a class shared by few when it comes to his actions

tdg823
11-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Pretty much, but he did state that rioting and burning things down is not the way to get answers.

Actually it's more effective than working the system peacefully when done properly. The system is impossibly rigged, there is no democratic solution at this point, at least not in my lifetime. When faced with overwhelming odds go guerilla. Ask the Continental army, the Vietnamese and the Afghans (US and USSR), etc... Problem is they always riot in the wrong neighborhoods which is frustrating and counterproductive. ;)

alexander_37
11-25-2014, 07:29 PM
It's called ESPN

ATX
11-25-2014, 07:49 PM
He may have inadvertently bungled "The decision" and personally believe he made a poor choice to return to Cleveland, mostly do the treatment from Dan Gilbert, but also in his chances to win. I do however respect his decision to return home. As a human being, aside from being a little cocky, as the vast majority of superstars are, I find little to no fault in him. I mean he is just a basketball player after all. If we all looked in the mirror, would we all hold up to the scrutiny he endures? He is a great ambassador for the NBA. He stays out of trouble, and I've heard from multiple friends who've met him, that he is a great guy in person. He certainly doesn't deserve the villain treatment that some cast on him. People hate him for the dumbest of reasons, and I defended him at length against such immature nonsense during his HEAT tenure. He truly is one of the greatest NBA players of all time on and off the court and absolutely deserves some appreciation. It was a wild four year for a HEAT fan, four years I'll never forget. Much respect.

InRoseWeTrust
11-25-2014, 09:28 PM
"Actually it's more effective than working the system peacefully when done properly. The system is impossibly rigged, there is no democratic solution at this point, at least not in my lifetime. When faced with overwhelming odds go guerilla. Ask the Continental army, the Vietnamese and the Afghans (US and USSR), etc... Problem is they always riot in the wrong neighborhoods which is frustrating and counterproductive. "

Congratulations to the dumbest post on PSD of 2014.

Munkeysuit
11-25-2014, 10:00 PM
If you had as much command on the spotlight as Lebron James does, then what he says does matter. It may not matter to you personally and thats totally fine! everyone has an opinion, but to a world that focuses a lot of it's attention towards media outlets or any place you can get the latest news and whats going on in todays society, a voice like Lebrons is very important because he is in a position of high influence wether you want to admit that or not.

D-Leethal
11-25-2014, 10:14 PM
"Actually it's more effective than working the system peacefully when done properly. The system is impossibly rigged, there is no democratic solution at this point, at least not in my lifetime. When faced with overwhelming odds go guerilla. Ask the Continental army, the Vietnamese and the Afghans (US and USSR), etc... Problem is they always riot in the wrong neighborhoods which is frustrating and counterproductive. "

Congratulations to the dumbest post on PSD of 2014.

Yea I was gonna leave that alone but it had to be said. Joke of a post.

tdg823
11-26-2014, 12:19 AM
If you take a limited enough view of history, I suppose you're right. Check out a couple thousand years of European history. Remember Arab Spring? That wasn't an original thing, although it's predecessors admittedly had mixed results. Even in this country, although it hasn't produced a great number of examples to prove my point, there was some success in the Red Power movement in that regard and please look at a lot of the very violent, intimidating and terrorist ways that white's retook control of government and its institutions in the south after Reconstruction when the North pulled out/lost interest. I know they don't really teach that in school so much, but it's out there if you're curious. But seriously consider history as being outside the U.S. (heck there's probably some real good south and latin american examples of successful violent revolutions) and greater than a 50-100 year period. In the end my post might not be so much the "dumbest post of the year", but rather you guys might simply lack a bit of knowledge.

tdg823
11-26-2014, 12:26 AM
I'm no history major though, I just dabble a bit. If you guys want to disprove my theory (not just hiss at it) by all means have at it gentleman!

Vinylman
11-26-2014, 09:32 AM
If you take a limited enough view of history, I suppose you're right. Check out a couple thousand years of European history. Remember Arab Spring? That wasn't an original thing, although it's predecessors admittedly had mixed results. Even in this country, although it hasn't produced a great number of examples to prove my point, there was some success in the Red Power movement in that regard and please look at a lot of the very violent, intimidating and terrorist ways that white's retook control of government and its institutions in the south after Reconstruction when the North pulled out/lost interest. I know they don't really teach that in school so much, but it's out there if you're curious. But seriously consider history as being outside the U.S. (heck there's probably some real good south and latin american examples of successful violent revolutions) and greater than a 50-100 year period. In the end my post might not be so much the "dumbest post of the year", but rather you guys might simply lack a bit of knowledge.

Really?

What has changed in the average life of a middle easterner since the Arab Spring? More chaos? different set of tyrants? What?

In the immortal word of the Who "meet the new boss ... same as the old boss"

The Red Power movement ... man that was violent... a bunch of college hippies sitting in on Alcatraz island! Talk about scary.... 100 hippies who haven't showered... i guess that could be considered violent... I guess they did throw em a bone and put a native American Museum in DC...

characterizing what is going on in Ferguson as a violent revolution is an insult to every true revolutionary in the history of the world...

Ferguson is what it is criminal activity by opportunists.

Tony_Starks
11-26-2014, 06:52 PM
In a time of athletes being in and out of trouble for spousal abuse , child abuse, and substance abuse, and with no privacy in their lives we should honestly respect athletes who continue to stay out of the spotlight for immoral actions ..

However you feel about Lebrons ability to play basketball or your opinion on whether he excessively flops or not, we should all be able to agree that he stands in a class shared by few when it comes to his actions

I agree. He and a lot of star athletes are pretty much in a lose-lose. If they voice their opinion then it's like "he's just a dumb jock getting paid to play a game, who cares what he thinks!" If they don't speak up a lot of people will get upset and accuse them of being sell outs.

Regardless of our opinion on Lebron the fact that he conducts himself properly off the court and uses his celebrity status to address "hot topics" is to be highly respected IMO....

SF8
11-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Don't even get me started on trayvon and mike brown. Not the right angle to use to show Lebron is an intelligent person hahah

^this.

Sactown
11-28-2014, 06:19 PM
^this.

Who cares? Intelligence is relative.. I don't necessarily find either of you intelligent, but that doesn't mean I'm allowed to dictate your opinions, or whether you're allowed to have them...

You might not find Lebron James intelligent, or like his political opinions for that matter, but to say he should be frowned upon for having an opinion on an issue and expressing it only reflects upon your own intelligence.