PDA

View Full Version : Could the 76ers beat Kentucky? - Answer Inside

Goose17
11-24-2014, 04:02 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/11/24/7269373/76ers-kentucky-basketball-nba-2k15

Fun article^

So... do you think they could do it? Are they really THAT bad that they couldn't beat a college team?

goingfor28
11-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Could? They're an NBA team. They would beat Kentucky

Goose17
11-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Could? They're an NBA team. They would beat Kentucky

:clap:

Hawkeye15
11-24-2014, 04:17 PM
these stupid questions make me laugh. The worst NBA team, even as bad as Philly is right now, would mop the floor with any college team. Especially in modern times. I could at least listen to a rational argument that 1992 Duke could have beaten the Wolves at that time, they had 3-4 year college players who were Laettner, Grant Hill, etc. Or the Running Rebels of the year prior. But now? Please. A group of 18-19 year olds is beating a team of men, all of whom were excellent or star college players? Give me a ****ing break.

Goose17
11-24-2014, 04:19 PM
these stupid questions make me laugh. The worst NBA team, even as bad as Philly is right now, would mop the floor with any college team. Especially in modern times. I could at least listen to a rational argument that 1992 Duke could have beaten the Wolves at that time, they had 3-4 year college players who were Laettner, Grant Hill, etc. Or the Running Rebels of the year prior. But now? Please. A group of 18-19 year olds is beating a team of men, all of whom were excellent or star college players? Give me a ****ing break.

:cheers:

abe_froman
11-24-2014, 04:20 PM
the general rule is that any nba team can beat any college team....but this year's kentucky squad is just so loaded,and the 6ers are just so bleh,that i say they defy the rule and beat the 6ers

DoMeFavors
11-24-2014, 04:20 PM
That 12 win 0-18 nets team from 2010 had better talent than Sixers and had a few win streaks end of the year. I don't see 76ers winning more then 4 games this season.

DoMeFavors
11-24-2014, 04:25 PM

Callipari has a foundation and would easily outcoach Brett Brown

Hawkeye15
11-24-2014, 04:27 PM

the talent disparity would be way, way, way too much for Johnny-boy to overcome.

NYCkid12
11-24-2014, 04:27 PM
That 12 win 0-18 nets team from 2010 had better talent than Sixers and had a few win streaks end of the year. I don't see 76ers winning more then 4 games this season.

4 Wins ? lol they're gunna get more than 4 wins

Hawkeye15
11-24-2014, 04:29 PM
the general rule is that any nba team can beat any college team....but this year's kentucky squad is just so loaded,and the 6ers are just so bleh,that i say they defy the rule and beat the 6ers

the Sixers backcourt would destroy Kentucky's.

Sactown
11-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Kentucky has maybe 4 very very low end nba talent players? Even the best college players take 2-4 years to be an average nba player... 6ers would win by 40

Hawkeye15
11-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Kentucky has maybe 4 very very low end nba talent players? Even the best college players take 2-4 years to be an average nba player... 6ers would win by 40

that is what I mean. So, I could listen to this if we were talking about the early 90's UNLV team, or the Duke squad. But over the past 10 years, with the talented NCAA players leaving at 19-20, hell to the no. They would be pillaged.

Hawkeye15
11-24-2014, 04:35 PM
damn, thinking back to that UNLV team. Grand-ma ma, Stacey Augmon, Greg Anthony, Anderson Hunt, David Butler...

damn

DoMeFavors
11-24-2014, 04:35 PM
4 Wins ? lol they're gunna get more than 4 wins

You would think an NBA team would but ive seen no heart or growth from 76ers. Its a dog fight every night just to score 80 points. Their offense is one of the worst ever, who is their go to guys? What teams can you really see losing to Sixers 5 times?

DoMeFavors
11-24-2014, 04:43 PM
The Bobcats in 11-12 had a record of 7 and 59 which I think is the worst winning percentage ever , which would be about 8.6 wins in an 82 game season. That team was better than this Sixers team. Sixers are losing on average of 17 points a game. They are by far the worst offensive team in the NBA yet play at 2nd highest pace. This team based on these facts is not going to win more than 4 games currently constructed.

valade16
11-24-2014, 04:45 PM

Kentucky has 10 players expected to be drafted to the NBA.

valade16
11-24-2014, 04:46 PM
If NBA players are so much more vastly talented than college players that it wouldn't even be close I have a question:

Could the All-America team beat the 10 worst NBA players? Like if you grabbed all the absolute worst NBA players for a season and had them face the College All-America team, would they stomp them?

Because if the talent is truly that big a difference they should stomp them correct?

IndyRealist
11-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Even -if- then entire starting lineup at Kentucky were NBA ready (which they are not) as soon as the subs came in the Sixers would bury them. I never understand why people don't think the bench matters.

Hawkeye15
11-24-2014, 04:56 PM
If NBA players are so much more vastly talented than college players that it wouldn't even be close I have a question:

Could the All-America team beat the 10 worst NBA players? Like if you grabbed all the absolute worst NBA players for a season and had them face the College All-America team, would they stomp them?

Because if the talent is truly that big a difference they should stomp them correct?

I don't think so, the physical and professional development of NBA players would still probably overcome. But you are getting as close as possible to figuring out the one situation where NBA players would lose a game to college players.

DoMeFavors
11-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Even -if- then entire starting lineup at Kentucky were NBA ready (which they are not) as soon as the subs came in the Sixers would bury them. I never understand why people don't think the bench matters.

Not a SINGLE player on Sixers shoots over 50% from the field.

Hawkeye15
11-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Kentucky has 10 players expected to be drafted to the NBA.

The Sixers have 14 NBA players..

valade16
11-24-2014, 05:04 PM
The Sixers have 14 NBA players..

As a technicality maybe but there's no way all 14 of them belong in the NBA lol.

Hawkeye15
11-24-2014, 05:12 PM
As a technicality maybe but there's no way all 14 of them belong in the NBA lol.

I just think you also undervalue that they are much more physically developed, and they are flat out better, because they play against better players in practice, and games.

There is no way a NCAA team can ever compete with an NBA team imo. Just none.

2-ONE-5
11-24-2014, 05:12 PM

lol

lol x2

nandovelez
11-24-2014, 05:16 PM
That houston team with hakeem could beat some nba teams but outside of them and as hawk said with duke not one college team could beat a pro team. Most bench players in the nba were college stars haha

2-ONE-5
11-24-2014, 05:16 PM
KY is a stacked college team but outside of Towns there is no future all star on that team. for the record Vegas said the Sixers would be -16 if they were to play but i would love to see the Harrisons try to stop MCW and Wroten from driving to the net.

Hawkeye15
11-24-2014, 05:24 PM
KY is a stacked college team but outside of Towns there is no future all star on that team. for the record Vegas said the Sixers would be -16 if they were to play but i would love to see the Harrisons try to stop MCW and Wroten from driving to the net.

2 things. Even IF we believe Kentucky's starting frontcourt could hold its own, their backcourt would get murdered, and the bench disparity would be massive.

JustinTime
11-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Trey Lyles was supposed to be a top 5 pick until he chose Kentucky so I think he'd be a future all star.

Hawkeye15
11-24-2014, 05:26 PM
That houston team with hakeem could beat some nba teams but outside of them and as hawk said with duke not one college team could beat a pro team. Most bench players in the nba were college stars haha

they couldn't even be Sidney Lowe's NC State team....

fluke game, I know haha

The 15th man on the Wolves bench right now was a star wing at Michigan last year.

Miltstar
11-24-2014, 05:27 PM
maybe at the start of the season when MCW and Noel were out

DoMeFavors
11-24-2014, 05:30 PM
lol

lol x2

Are you a 76ers fan? Why are you defending your teams philosophy? There is no defense behind it, its an embarrassment to any Philly fan. Speak your mind and don't allow them to present this garbage to you.

2-ONE-5
11-24-2014, 05:33 PM
i do speak my mind and its in 100000% full support. its kinda funny we are the worst team in the league yet its the Nets who lost what 200 billion dollars last year, the Knicks and Lakers missing the playoffs having 1 player each that makes more than our entire roster for the 2nd year in a row.

valade16
11-24-2014, 05:40 PM
I just think you also undervalue that they are much more physically developed, and they are flat out better, because they play against better players in practice, and games.

There is no way a NCAA team can ever compete with an NBA team imo. Just none.

I understand they are physically way more developed (well, perhaps the 76ers are a bad example as their average age is like 22).

I know any college team would be heavy, heavy underdogs to an NBA team, but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for them to win a game. I'm not sure this Kentucky team could do it, as good as they are, their offense would need to be a lot better to play an NBA team.

I also think the best college players vs. the worst NBA players would be a better comparison. Most of the worst NBA players are so old that any development their body had is now on the downhill.

DoMeFavors
11-24-2014, 05:58 PM
i do speak my mind and its in 100000% full support. its kinda funny we are the worst team in the league yet its the Nets who lost what 200 billion dollars last year, the Knicks and Lakers missing the playoffs having 1 player each that makes more than our entire roster for the 2nd year in a row.

The Nets losing money has nothing to do with winning though, that's a losers mentality to look at something like that instead of winning games. Your team is making an embarrassment of itself around the league, players already talking and saying college teams could beat it. Their reputation is going to be in the mud and nobody is going to want to play there.

Lakers + Giants
11-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Were talking about a professional team vs a team trying to become professional....

The 76ers would make Kentucky look like the 76ers.

Hawkeye15
11-24-2014, 06:08 PM
I understand they are physically way more developed (well, perhaps the 76ers are a bad example as their average age is like 22).

I know any college team would be heavy, heavy underdogs to an NBA team, but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for them to win a game. I'm not sure this Kentucky team could do it, as good as they are, their offense would need to be a lot better to play an NBA team.

I also think the best college players vs. the worst NBA players would be a better comparison. Most of the worst NBA players are so old that any development their body had is now on the downhill.

right, but that wouldn't be an NBA team. Neither would your college all star team be an NCAA team.

andy2518
11-24-2014, 06:16 PM
They could easily. Kentucky might win 3 or three out of 10 games though.

Tony_Starks
11-24-2014, 06:27 PM
It would really be a coin toss. Against your typical nba team this isn't even a question. But this is basically can a really good college team beat a D-league team.

IndyRealist
11-24-2014, 07:51 PM
It would really be a coin toss. Against your typical nba team this isn't even a question. But this is basically can a really good college team beat a D-league team.
Have you watched the D-league? There's a reason most of those guys never make it.

2-ONE-5
11-24-2014, 08:17 PM
The Nets losing money has nothing to do with winning though, that's a losers mentality to look at something like that instead of winning games. Your team is making an embarrassment of itself around the league, players already talking and saying college teams could beat it. Their reputation is going to be in the mud and nobody is going to want to play there.

lol you better hope thats the case but with all this money we have to play with ill say you wrong (you usually are wrong anyways so im confident)

JasonJohnHorn
11-24-2014, 09:55 PM
I would normally say no, but I'm not sure the answer is that easy.

The 76ers are filled out with guys were were literarlly in the D-league last year or the year before, or guys who have just come out of college.

Nine of their players are either rookies or in their second year, and and 3 others have only played 2 seasons. The only guy they got with more experience than that is Luc Mbah a Moute and there are plenty of players in college better than him.

The question is: Is a D-leaguer like Wroten, who is their first option right now, better than an elite college player? The answer is no.

Of their top five scorers, only one is shooting over .424: Noel. And he's only shooting .439, which is awful for a guy in the post.

Henry Sims? Hollis Thompson? Are there better players in college? YES!

Could the best college team beat this Philly team on a good night. Fawking right they could. This 76ers team is a glorified D-League team, and I think we would all agree that a college team could easily hang with a D-league team.

MCW and Noel might hang with the college guys.. and Wroten even... but last year Embiid and Wiggins were on the same team... that roster could have potentially beat this 76ers rosters.

Normally, you get a team that is not deep enough to win a lot of NBA games, but they have one or two players that would scorch college players... this team doesn't even have that. Who on this roster is CLEARLY better than the best college players right now? Noel? Maybe?

If you put the Lakers against a college team, Boozer could go to work on any college kid and take them to school. Kobe as well. But who could do that on this 76ers team.

You have to keep in mind that they have not even been able to compete with NBA teams. They haven't even won a game with this roster.

Could the best college team compete with and win a game against the 76ers. Yes. And it is not as ridiculous a question as it seems. If there was ever an NBA team that could lose to a college team, it is this team, since it is comprised of guys who didn't even excel in college and have just been brought up from the D-league.

2-ONE-5
11-25-2014, 09:45 AM
i dont think Wroten ever played in the d-league (maybe a few games due to Memphis being a contender with depth?) and regardless no one on KY could slow him down anyway.

valade16
11-25-2014, 10:07 AM
i dont think Wroten ever played in the d-league (maybe a few games due to Memphis being a contender with depth?) and regardless no one on KY could slow him down anyway.

His only year in college Tony Wroten averaged 16.0 PPG on 44.3% FG and 16.1% 3PT.

People act like these NBA players didn't come from college. All the NBA players weren't Michael Jordan or even all-americans.

Has Tony Wroten gotten better since his college days? Yes, but to act like these college just flat out couldn't compete is stretching the truth.

2-ONE-5
11-25-2014, 10:45 AM
they couldnt, especially the back court.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-25-2014, 03:48 PM
It would probably be closer than some are making it out to be, but I still think the 76ers win. Close game though IMO. You have to consider that the 76ers have mostly 1 and 2 year players. The veterans they have are even worse.

Are Noel, MCW, and Wroten good enough to dominate Kentucky's top players? Outplay them yes, but dominate? IDK. 76ers are the favorites, but by how much? What is more likely to happen, 76ers beating the Spurs or Kentucky beating the 76ers? Which gap is larger? I honestly don't know.

So do I think they would beat the 76ers? No. Do I think they "could" beat the 76ers? Maybe.