PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant Believes His Contract Extension Was A Discount

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-22-2014, 11:24 AM
http://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bryant-believes-his-contract-extension-was-a-discount/2014/11/21/

good to know

jaydubb
11-22-2014, 11:30 AM
I saw a box of corn flakes the other day for $1.75... Now THAT is one hell of a discount..

bleedprple&gold
11-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Sometimes Kobe needs to know when to shut up.

JV35
11-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Sometimes Kobe needs to know when to shut up.

In Kobe's case, money has a way of empowering arrogant idiots.

Hangin n Wangin
11-22-2014, 01:47 PM
The guy is as senile as Mitch and jimbaco now adays. Just stfu.

GREATNESS ONE
11-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Yea Kobe is an idiot. The NBA and owners making billions and signing 100's of billion dollar contracts. Only to make the players look selfish for not taking less. It's all messed up and I would definitely consider creating a loyalty clause, making any player who plays for one franchise being able to sign for a discount or some sort of deal. The CBA needs to be re-worked because it's kinda horse ****.

handle
11-22-2014, 04:12 PM
It is.. with all the money he's made the Lakers over the years, he should be making 50M per year.

Teeboy1487
11-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Kobe is an overpaid chucker these days. It's not fun watching a 25 million a year player chuck the ball up 30 times a game and only make 9 shots. The Lakers are even more unwatchable this season than last season.

GREATNESS ONE
11-22-2014, 04:51 PM
I still won't miss a game.

numba1CHANGsta
11-22-2014, 05:38 PM
he's making 30 mil next season...some discount -.-

bleedprple&gold
11-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Yea Kobe is an idiot. The NBA and owners making billions and signing 100's of billion dollar contracts. Only to make the players look selfish for not taking less. It's all messed up and I would definitely consider creating a loyalty clause, making any player who plays for one franchise being able to sign for a discount or some sort of deal. The CBA needs to be re-worked because it's kinda horse ****.

Then they should raise the salary cap if the owners are making so much and the players are getting screwed. The issue isn't what Kobe makes in relation to what he generates, the issue is that his contracts takes up over a third of the cap and limits further spending. I'm sure Kobe is well aware of that and he should take that into consideration if he ever wants to at least even see the playoffs again.

lakerfan85
11-22-2014, 06:45 PM
he's making 30 mil next season...some discount -.-

Nope.. 25 million..

lakerfan85
11-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Then they should raise the salary cap if the owners are making so much and the players are getting screwed. The issue isn't what Kobe makes in relation to what he generates, the issue is that his contracts takes up over a third of the cap and limits further spending. I'm sure Kobe is well aware of that and he should take that into consideration if he ever wants to at least even see the playoffs again.

Or maybe he has no confidence in Jim and Mitch and was just like, **** it!! I'm getting paid on my way out of the league.

GREATNESS ONE
11-22-2014, 10:39 PM

Cool story bro. Kobe is a selfish egotistical *******. All good. My opinion is set in stone.

Leather Balls
11-23-2014, 03:32 AM

There are two sides to every story. The owners do make money but they also risk a lot of money and lose a lot of money. For every Kobe or Durant, there is a player making tons of cash and not producing anything. Look at Boozer, the guy is making tons of money from a team that he does not play for. Not to mention, the owners get raped by the government in taxes. I'm not shedding any tears for the owners, but I don't make them out to be the bad guy either. If it's so easy, you try and risk your money in starting a business and then tell me how it goes.

bleedprple&gold
11-23-2014, 04:04 AM

There are two sides to every story. The owners do make money but they also risk a lot of money and lose a lot of money. For every Kobe or Durant, there is a player making tons of cash and not producing anything. Look at Boozer, the guy is making tons of money from a team that he does not play for. Not to mention, the owners get raped by the government in taxes. I'm not shedding any tears for the owners, but I don't make them out to be the bad guy either. If it's so easy, you try and risk your money in starting a business and then tell me how it goes.

None of the owners made their money from buying an nba team. They are all filthy rich from other businesses so I don't view owning a basketball team as that much of a finanical risk for them. But of course they are still taking on some financial risk but people like Kobe believe that risk doesn't equate to the revenue they are making compared to the players and I am inclined to agree. But the problem is that adjustment has to be made in the salary cap first before it can be made in individual salaries and you can justify a contract like Kobe's. Kobe wants us all to believe he took a "pay cut" but that's just not the case looked at in the current context of player salaries as opposed to team/league revenue.

Leather Balls
11-23-2014, 04:55 AM
None of the owners made their money from buying an nba team. They are all filthy rich from other businesses so I don't view owning a basketball team as that much of a finanical risk for them. But of course they are still taking on some financial risk but people like Kobe believe that risk doesn't equate to the revenue they are making compared to the players and I am inclined to agree. But the problem is that adjustment has to be made in the salary cap first before it can be made in individual salaries and you can justify a contract like Kobe's. Kobe wants us all to believe he took a "pay cut" but that's just not the case looked at in the current context of player salaries as opposed to team/league revenue.

First off, you completely ignored the part where I made the point that NBA owners do lose a lot of money on players that don't pan out. Why did the league institute the rule prohibiting high school players from entering the league? Because owners got tired on dumping money down the drain on high school prospects that never panned out. Like I said, for every Kobe, there are ten Sebastian Telfairs. Second, I never said owners first acquired their fortune by buying NBA teams. Third, the owners might not take a huge risk in buying an NBA franchise, but they did somewhere along the way to getting "filthy" rich. Every owner at some point experienced failure and lost tons of money before becoming "filthy" rich. I know you are in a hurry to vilify them and in a way pretend that their fortune just magically materialized in front of them, but that's not the case. The NBA is a business, and as such, everyone involved has an investment in it, and for that, they all get a reward. The owners take a risk, as do the players. The owners take a risk investing in the players, and as I pointed out (and you ignored), it doesn't always pan out. I personally think Kobe is worth his salary more than Jordan Hill is, and certainly worth more than what the Bulls are paying Boozer (which you also ignored). In many ways, Kobe does have a point, but in others he doesn't. He is being taken care of by the franchise. He should just shut up, but with all the crap he is getting, I don't blame him for making his point either.

Iron24th
11-23-2014, 05:03 AM
It was a discount but not enough to assemble a championship team around him.

Jimbo and mitch still could have created a decent team by signing stephenson and thomas.

This mess is on jimbo, mitch, jeanie and kobe, I hope they enjoy it.

Leftcoast_yg
11-23-2014, 06:12 AM
Looking at it as a business hell yeah it is, 60% profit

blahblahyoutoo
11-23-2014, 12:29 PM

Kobe agreed to the CBA and now he's criticizing it?
n-word plz...

GREATNESS ONE
11-23-2014, 01:26 PM

Ok I will, I run a million dollar restaurant and in the process of owning my second business a food truck. Don't get me wrong I know it's a business but the difference between rich and wealthy is a lot bigger than you think. Yes there will be bad signings like a Boozer or Kwame but who's fault is that? They sign these players and outbid other franchises. My beef is Kobe has made 100's of millions of dollars for the Lakers organization. A franchise he has played his entire 19year career for. There needs to be a "Loyalty" clause which half of the player contract doesn't count against the cap if the player has played over 10+ for that one franchise.

The CBA is ******** and definitely needs to be reworked.

Jenceman
11-23-2014, 04:59 PM
It is.. with all the money he's made the Lakers over the years, he should be making 50M per year.

are you ****ing kidding me? The contract Kobe has coupled with his ****** play is one of the biggest reasons the Lakers suck *** right now

kblo247
11-23-2014, 06:55 PM
How can you be jealous of Duncan and the Spurs' consistency and at the same time slam a hometown discount? You can't have one without the other.

Kobe is jealous of playing 20 years state tax free ... Tim and Dirk can take those discounts because they don't get the **** taxes out of them. Dwight made more going to the rockets than he did in LA years 1-4 with taxes factored in. Case and point kobe got a 24mil check and it was widely said that after taxes it was 11.9 and that's before the agents cut. And I'm going to harp on this, who the **** has Tim or Dirk attracted with sacrifices? The lakers had a shot at 30mil in cap space by simply waiving nash yet didn't feem it worthy to chase a rfa, lance, or anyone hard but Melo abd bron. As it stands right now the biggest fa dirk has attracted is Parsons, Tims biggest coup is McDyess or Horry, and Kobes is Metta. We won't know till this summer when the lakers and Spurs both play in FA and go after Marc, Aldridge, Monroe, Rondo, Dragic, and the like if either sacrifice was worth it. That said his statement was about stability, the Spurs had one coach, one set of scouts, and a trio that stuck all Tims career; their end results are the same 5 rings, 1 more finals for la, more h2h wins for kobe, and kobe always drawing more

And lastly what he said is true. The cap **** over superstars. Kobe is still worth more than la has ever had to pay because of what he draws. Bron sought max as did Melo and even bosh because they get stars sell tickets, draw ratings, and need to go into the CBA meeting saying **** capping what we make as no one comes to Jodie Meeks or Channing Frye. If you can't get that I don't know what To tell you. It's about superstars vs MLE players who are getting overpaid, and it's about superstars not having to make a nd sacrifice for cheap *** owners to waste their prime or ask them to make sacrifices to avoid a tax or having to amnesty a Mike miller. It is not kobe, Melo, Bron, KD, jordan, or magics job to worry about making you space when they get paid.

And never forget kobe have la a discount to make the 3 peat happen. Kobe refused to enter free agency unlike McGrady or Duncan when he could have got a **** load of cash. Buss thanked kobe publicly for not going to fa when he at the time couldn't even afford to retain jones or rice to form a big 3. If kobe doesn't agree to getting vastly underpaid for the 3peat it never happens. Hell kobe made 5mil total his first 3 years with an allstar appearance to his resume while wiggins made that in 1

GREATNESS ONE
11-23-2014, 07:13 PM
As always Kblo excellent post my brother.

Ty22Mitchell
11-23-2014, 09:26 PM
1. Kobe is overpaid. His production this year does not merit his salary. I don't understand how anyone could argue against this.

2. Why are there so many idealists on this forum. The guy has two to four years left to make money (he can obviously invest afterwards). If I was that close to retirement, I'd stuff my pockets before exiting the building too.

3. If anyone is angry they should direct it at Mitch, Jim and Jeanie. They're the people that offered the money.

4. What was the best possible team that could have been fielded with Kobe at 10 million per? The team would certainly be better, but it would;t be a championship contender.

#Okafor2015

Ty22Mitchell
11-23-2014, 09:30 PM
are you ****ing kidding me? The contract Kobe has coupled with his ****** play is one of the biggest reasons the Lakers suck *** right now

This team would barely be an 8th seed if Kobe was still performing at his "prime" level.

Ty22Mitchell
11-23-2014, 09:35 PM

Jimbo and mitch still could have created a decent team by signing stephenson and thomas.

I agree that it would have been a great move for Kobe to take a discount. However, Thomas and Stephenson would not have made this team into a championship contender. In my opinion, I feel like bottoming out completely is a quicker route to a championship than being a middle-of-the-pack team for 6 years.

Jenceman
11-23-2014, 11:40 PM
This team would barely be an 8th seed if Kobe was still performing at his "prime" level.

Which is where Kobes contract and **** attitude towards other stars has hurt the team. I love Kobe for what he's done for the Lakers, but his and the FOs ineptness combined has led this team to the cellar of the NBA

kblo247
11-24-2014, 02:39 AM
Which is where Kobes contract and **** attitude towards other stars has hurt the team. I love Kobe for what he's done for the Lakers, but his and the FOs ineptness combined has led this team to the cellar of the NBA

Towards what stars? Dwight who can't a tact anyone to play with him, prime harden, and a tax free state? Shaq who fought with everyone on every team he went to and called buss a mf in public? Pau and him didn't fight, Payton and him didn't fight, Artest and him didn't fight, and Melo and him never had problems. Hell he attracted Nash without a deal for Dwight and Paul was willing to come

Like I said we shall see this summer when they have money only committed to Kobe, Nick, and Randle.

The lakers refused to even offer Thomas a meeting even when he said he wanted to play here. They by Ramona shelburnes admission didnt want to meet with Lance because they didn't like his character and refused to offer any deal to any rfa. Mitch has already said they didn't offer Dirk a max deal like espn claimed. So it was just Melo and Bosh who turned them down to stay where they were for more money after taxes and a fifth year with a coach in place. No free agent of substance moved this past summer sans Bron who went back home

If he can't attract a Marc, Monroe, Rondo, or Dragic its fair.

LAKERMANIA
11-24-2014, 02:56 AM

I understand your point. But in a way he's right. Kobe's made the Lakers much more than 23 million dollars a year.

Bozeman
11-24-2014, 04:40 AM
You can never hate on anybody being given that type of money. Hell Kobe wasn't gonna uproot his family. Remember he has had a rocky relationship. His girls and wife would NOT have followed along to move. So basically Clippers if he was gonna move, or possibly GST. But that's it.

The front office ****ed up by just giving him that cash. There is no doubt in my mind if they called kobe's bluff he'd be getting anywhere from 8-10 million less per year. But from all reports it looks like there was no negotiation. He was coming off injury and we still probably would be paying more than anyone else would have offered(outside of horrible teams in horrible cities that kobe wouldn't go to anyway)

So don't blame kobe. Blame our front office.

Who in their right mind has any right to expect or tell somebody how to make a living and to accept less than what they're being offered? GTFO.

rhd420
11-24-2014, 09:02 PM
You can never hate on anybody being given that type of money. Hell Kobe wasn't gonna uproot his family. Remember he has had a rocky relationship. His girls and wife would NOT have followed along to move. So basically Clippers if he was gonna move, or possibly GST. But that's it.

The front office ****ed up by just giving him that cash. There is no doubt in my mind if they called kobe's bluff he'd be getting anywhere from 8-10 million less per year. But from all reports it looks like there was no negotiation. He was coming off injury and we still probably would be paying more than anyone else would have offered(outside of horrible teams in horrible cities that kobe wouldn't go to anyway)

Who in their right mind has any right to expect or tell somebody how to make a living and to accept less than what they're being offered? GTFO.

See PROVING again why the Buss family and the front office made the right decision and YES Kobe is right, it was at a discount, he could have gotten more. Fans like these drive the Buss family and front office to the decisions they make, how can you NOT market this, market Kobe's legacy is much more profitable as well as valuable to the Lakers than a successful regular season or playoff birth ... fans like this, don't blame Kobe ... heck don't blame the front office or the Buss family, they know their audience well

andy2518
11-24-2014, 10:38 PM
There is an old saying in business that goes: you are only worth what you can negotiate. If Kobe was able to negotiate that amount, than he was worth it. From a business perspective of course.

That said, as a Lakers fan, I am very upset at the front office for being such fools. Rule of thumb, you start low and meet in the middle if you are the one paying. You don't start at the top. I would love to be the guy to sell Jim Buss his next house or car for sure.

andy2518
11-24-2014, 10:41 PM
See PROVING again why the Buss family and the front office made the right decision and YES Kobe is right, it was at a discount, he could have gotten more. Fans like these drive the Buss family and front office to the decisions they make, how can you NOT market this, market Kobe's legacy is much more profitable as well as valuable to the Lakers than a successful regular season or playoff birth ... fans like this, don't blame Kobe ... heck don't blame the front office or the Buss family, they know their audience well

I agree with what you are saying from a certain perspective. If the fans are still foolish enough to give the Buss family money for the poor product they are putting on the floor, they have no right to complain.

Laker Legend42
11-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Kobe's contract wasnt a discount. However, it's still not his fault. They didn't have to give it to him. For everyone who feels dirk and Duncan did it "the right way" taking less didn't equal more championships. Both of those guys had some lean years and some early playoff exits. For his troubles dirk got one ring and Timmy arrived at the same location as kobe. He just took a diffrent route. So you really can't say which is truly right or wrong

bleedprple&gold
11-25-2014, 12:14 AM

Kobe could have gotten more? Ok from who exactly?

Vinylman
11-25-2014, 11:21 AM

why do you guys engage him? his logic is so fatally flawed that there is no point in having a discussion....

Even if you buy into his BS the point is the Lakers could have signed kobe for 6-7 million less and still do what he is saying while having more money for FA's...

to think he could have got more on the open market is laughable and a bluff that is an insta call

rhd420
11-25-2014, 01:16 PM

Actually from the Lakers themselves, how about if he holds out, threatens not to play - make the Lakers the front office the bad guy to their franchise player, that's WHO, does that answer your question

rhd420
11-25-2014, 01:19 PM
I agree with what you are saying from a certain perspective. If the fans are still foolish enough to give the Buss family money for the poor product they are putting on the floor, they have no right to complain.

Here lies the quandary, think about it ... how much would you pay to see a player break scoring records VS actually winning games. How much would you pay to see a player play his entire career on one team and retire on that same team. Funny thing is the product is Kobe, not Lakers wins, the second fans get that then you'll appreciate the decision of the Buss family and appeasing their (Kobe) fans which is their asset that far outnumbers Lakers fans that want to win more games ... not necessarily a title contender

andy2518
11-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Here lies the quandary, think about it ... how much would you pay to see a player break scoring records VS actually winning games. How much would you pay to see a player play his entire career on one team and retire on that same team. Funny thing is the product is Kobe, not Lakers wins, the second fans get that then you'll appreciate the decision of the Buss family and appeasing their (Kobe) fans which is their asset that far outnumbers Lakers fans that want to win more games ... not necessarily a title contender

I'm as much of a Kobe fan as the next guy, but I am not giving a dime to the Buss family for this crap product. This is a disgrace to the franchise. I can't remember a time that I was alive when the Lakers had to tank, especially two seasons in a row. They are setting records for worst seasons ever under Jim Buss and it didn't take him long at all to run the most successful franchise in sports into the ground. So no, I don't think many Laker fans are happy right now, nor are the Kobe fans you refer to. Most are smart enough to see through this facade.

andy2518
11-25-2014, 05:38 PM
BTW, I'm pretty sure that ticket prices are at an all-time low and are projected to be even cheaper than Clipper tickets by the all-star break. That and they are going to be getting no revenue from playoff games for the foreseeable future. Large companies will not pay what they once did for advertising space and Time Warner is going to be extremely pissed off very soon if they aren't already.

rhd420
11-25-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm as much of a Kobe fan as the next guy, but I am not giving a dime to the Buss family for this crap product. This is a disgrace to the franchise. I can't remember a time that I was alive when the Lakers had to tank, especially two seasons in a row. They are setting records for worst seasons ever under Jim Buss and it didn't take him long at all to run the most successful franchise in sports into the ground. So no, I don't think many Laker fans are happy right now, nor are the Kobe fans you refer to. Most are smart enough to see through this facade.

The SECOND you realize this was the best scenario the Buss family had, you'll realize the brilliance of it. A franchise celebrating a single players achievements, that's never happened in sports right - the Lions and Barry Sanders, how about Bonds and the Giants, last year Jeter with the Yankees and Rivera before that

As I said, WITHOUT Kobe you'll lose viewership and fan base even if the Lakers improve in wins which in turn is less profitable. You blame the front office and ownership, really, blame the fans that pushed them towards this decision. Oh no, hold on ... it can't be the fans right, it can't be us? Said it before - KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE

midwestlaker75
11-25-2014, 07:52 PM
If you look at from the point of the way the Lakers are using him...It is! He's being paid to fill Staples, Which to this point he is doing. He is being paid to be a one man circus....See the Old Man defy time and do things most 25 year to olds cannot do. If you look at it from that point of view, He is not being paid enough.

If you look at it from a team building, Challenging for a title point of view, Then he is overpaid by about 8-10 million dollars. It all depends on your point of view.

kobe4thewinbang
11-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Kobe...:no:

Even if Kobe took a nickel for his contributions this season, Jim Buss would *still* be running things.

rhd420
11-25-2014, 08:49 PM
If you look at from the point of the way the Lakers are using him...It is! He's being paid to fill Staples, Which to this point he is doing. He is being paid to be a one man circus....See the Old Man defy time and do things most 25 year to olds cannot do. If you look at it from that point of view, He is not being paid enough.

If you look at it from a team building, Challenging for a title point of view, Then he is overpaid by about 8-10 million dollars. It all depends on your point of view.

not over paid at all .. if you look at money paid out versus money generated, Kobe makes the Lakers much more yearly than his annual salary, if your over paid technically your costing your company money vs services rendered correct as you stated filling seats, one man circus etc? In terms of building a championship - what other options did the Lakers have out there ... Lance Stephenson? Kevin Love off the table, Carmelo ... not so much, what over paid B or C player would you have wanted the Lakers to over pay for ... and on top of that pay a luxury tax AND gain how many more wins? Think about it that way ... cost vs wins, the Buss family BRILLIANTLY over saw the landscape and selected the only option that would appease Kobe and Lakers fans alike as well as save money over lets say 10-20 more wins this season realistically.

andy2518
11-25-2014, 11:33 PM
The SECOND you realize this was the best scenario the Buss family had, you'll realize the brilliance of it. A franchise celebrating a single players achievements, that's never happened in sports right - the Lions and Barry Sanders, how about Bonds and the Giants, last year Jeter with the Yankees and Rivera before that

As I said, WITHOUT Kobe you'll lose viewership and fan base even if the Lakers improve in wins which in turn is less profitable. You blame the front office and ownership, really, blame the fans that pushed them towards this decision. Oh no, hold on ... it can't be the fans right, it can't be us? Said it before - KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE

Your not going to convince me that people would rather watch Kobe pass Jordan than see a contender out on the floor.

When Jim Buss took over the team back in 2011, the Lakers were a team that was poised to compete for a title for the next five years or so. Instead of just leaving well enough alone and just making a few minor tweaks, he decides he would rather blow everything up so that he could put his thumb print on the team. We would rather lose with the team he helped to build, than win with the team Phil, West, and his father created. That is the disgusting truth behind all of this.

So yes, now you are right in the sense that it is more profitable to over pay Kobe than to start fresh with a mediocre team and build from there. Whether or not thats the right decision from a financial stand point or not, it still is very unethical from the stand point of an owners responsibility to do everything in their power to put the best team possible on the floor. Dr. Buss would not have taken that approach in his heyday no matter what, nor would any responsible owner for that matter. It was a very inexperienced move that will come back to bite him in the *** make no mistake. Come the All-Star break, you won't believe how cheap ticket prices will be and how much viewership they will have lost. I canceled my cable when the Lakers started sucking and will watch Kobe break Jordan's record either on Firstrowsports or on Youtube. I won't give Jim Buss a cent of my money for this debacle that he has created.

andy2518
11-25-2014, 11:42 PM
When they signed that huge Time Warner deal, they became a slave to maximizing profits for them rather than to the fans. It's because Jim Buss screwed up so bad that he had to stoop to this level and over pay Kobe as much as he did because now that's all he has. It's all Jim's fault for flushing this team down the toilet to begin with. Now he needs this bail out from Kobe to make his Time Warner investors happy rather than the fans would want Jim to do everything in his power to put a contender out on the floor. It's the ignorant fans that will be appeased by all of this because they don't know any better. The more educated and respectable fans see through this charade. It really is a shame.

rhd420
11-26-2014, 02:51 PM
So yes, now you are right in the sense that it is more profitable to over pay Kobe than to start fresh with a mediocre team and build from there. Whether or not thats the right decision from a financial stand point or not, it still is very unethical from the stand point of an owners responsibility to do everything in their power to put the best team possible on the floor. Dr. Buss would not have taken that approach in his heyday no matter what, nor would any responsible owner for that matter. It was a very inexperienced move that will come back to bite him in the *** make no mistake. Come the All-Star break, you won't believe how cheap ticket prices will be and how much viewership they will have lost. I canceled my cable when the Lakers started sucking and will watch Kobe break Jordan's record either on Firstrowsports or on Youtube. I won't give Jim Buss a cent of my money for this debacle that he has created.

Well sorry to hear your not going to support the Lakers, part ways if you look at the TW deal, its ratings based and proving this season more viewership for people watching a "bad" Lakers team with Kobe on it as opposed to last season so they are right on pace to make a profit

Do you really think the Buss family and front office had a choice when it came to free agents? They didn't want to come and as I said to over pay for B or C players isn't worth the extra 10-20 wins if that

It's not at all a sham - you looked at the roster going into the season and it didn't take a genius to predict the results and the direction they were going in. Have a happy Turkey day, you seem smart enough to understand that the NBA is a business and Kobe is their biggest "underpaid" lol asset

Don't blame Jim, the front office etc ... this is the lesser of the two evils and the fans drove them to this decision because they know who they want to see regardless of the wins and losses

Jenceman
11-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Towards what stars? Dwight who can't a tact anyone to play with him, prime harden, and a tax free state? Shaq who fought with everyone on every team he went to and called buss a mf in public? Pau and him didn't fight, Payton and him didn't fight, Artest and him didn't fight, and Melo and him never had problems. Hell he attracted Nash without a deal for Dwight and Paul was willing to come

Like I said we shall see this summer when they have money only committed to Kobe, Nick, and Randle.

The lakers refused to even offer Thomas a meeting even when he said he wanted to play here. They by Ramona shelburnes admission didnt want to meet with Lance because they didn't like his character and refused to offer any deal to any rfa. Mitch has already said they didn't offer Dirk a max deal like espn claimed. So it was just Melo and Bosh who turned them down to stay where they were for more money after taxes and a fifth year with a coach in place. No free agent of substance moved this past summer sans Bron who went back home

If he can't attract a Marc, Monroe, Rondo, or Dragic its fair.

I mean over the last two summers. kobes contract and attitude has crippled this team

kblo247
11-26-2014, 08:14 PM
I mean over the last two summers. kobes contract and attitude has crippled this team

So no argument? They only offered 3 contracts before paying Nick and Hill. That was one to Pau, one to Bron and one to Melo ... Zach Lowe did a whole article on how they told Lowry they wouldn't make an offer unless if Melo or Bron agree to a deal, how they never got back to lance, never took Thomas calls, and how all Bosh and Dirk got was a call but no offer. They refused to bid on any rfa.

I mean damn unless if you're blaming Kobe squarely for not signing and sealing Melo, you have no case. They didn't want anyone else, bron was never coming, and Pau himself had a front office not a kobe problem as he said.

So it's just losing out on Melo who stayed home for money and more years in a media market where his wife has opportunities and they had a coach in place. Then it's Deight who took more money in Texas years 1-4 to leave factoring taxes, let alone child support laws. Dwight himself hasn't attracted anyone to Orlando but Lewis for a super max and couldn't lure anyone to Houston with him and prime harden that matters.

Like i said logically this market is a better indicator as la is reportedly interested in close to 10 guys over just 2 ... We won't know what he can attract until we see what Aldridge, rondo, marc, monroe, Al, and Dragic all do.

Chrisclover
11-27-2014, 05:49 AM
Kobe's arrogance is well-documented. Not surprised in the slightest to know he would finally utter words like these.

Chrisclover
11-27-2014, 07:47 AM

The discount is negligible. They were just raving.

ldawg
11-27-2014, 10:25 AM
I mean over the last two summers. kobes contract and attitude has crippled this teamshort simple sweet truth, you are 100% correct. The cp3 trade hurt this franchise alot it would have transitioned Kobe. After that bad deal things got out of hand with somewhat desperate moves. Bynum for Howard was a good move but kobe attitude ran him off. Kobe is a Laker legend and i can see why fans would love to see his last few years but it comes at a price. This is the price you pay sitting at the bottom. Kobe is right in not given any discounts for the amount of money the lakers make in this market and cannot be compared to a tax friendly state like Florida. So why cap out teams that can afford to pay more? This is where Lakers went wrong 17mil was the magic number. with all that however Lakers were still somewhat thinking. It has no one to spend the money on untill Kobe contract ends in 2016. Rhondo is no franchise changer and Marc wont join a team his brother ran away from. So we just got to be patient. Personally i rather see kobe playing meaningful games than being on a rebuilding team. And again you are right Kobe attitude and personality is not the right man for a rebuilding team. His presents overshadow anything else. We should be focus on youth. Randle, Clarkston and both 2015 picks that where our focus should be not Kobe. IMO now that Kobe has his contract signed he should explore a trade to a contender.

ldawg
11-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Lakers basketball has been replaced with the Kobe reality show. We no longer watch the Lakers play basketball but Will Kobe be a top 5 player? Can kobe play at a high level after major injuries? Will Kobe get traded? How many shots will kobe take to get 27pts? Will Kobe win another ring? Will Kobe get divorce or Vanessa has truly forgive him? Is kobe better than MJ, Will Kobe catch Kareem, ETC? For some kobe has became bigger than the Lakers and thats problem # 1. The reason they cant move Forward. They are in limbo somewhere between past and Future. Lakers wont be the Lakers until Kobe let them go. Buss family is just riding it out because they cant trade him because of the damage it will cause.

timebandit
11-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Lakers please piss off Kobe make him demand a trade! Or get him an indorsement deal so he will make same amount of money to subtract from Lakers deal thus making more room for bigger contributors cut out this embarrassing crap!

Raps18-19 Champ
11-28-2014, 08:27 PM

That's not how it works though.

His economic value? Sure he is underpaid.

His player value? Not a chance he's worth $25 mil (which is how players get paid).

Jenceman
11-29-2014, 02:39 PM
So no argument? They only offered 3 contracts before paying Nick and Hill. That was one to Pau, one to Bron and one to Melo ... Zach Lowe did a whole article on how they told Lowry they wouldn't make an offer unless if Melo or Bron agree to a deal, how they never got back to lance, never took Thomas calls, and how all Bosh and Dirk got was a call but no offer. They refused to bid on any rfa.

I mean damn unless if you're blaming Kobe squarely for not signing and sealing Melo, you have no case. They didn't want anyone else, bron was never coming, and Pau himself had a front office not a kobe problem as he said.

So it's just losing out on Melo who stayed home for money and more years in a media market where his wife has opportunities and they had a coach in place. Then it's Deight who took more money in Texas years 1-4 to leave factoring taxes, let alone child support laws. Dwight himself hasn't attracted anyone to Orlando but Lewis for a super max and couldn't lure anyone to Houston with him and prime harden that matters.

Like i said logically this market is a better indicator as la is reportedly interested in close to 10 guys over just 2 ... We won't know what he can attract until we see what Aldridge, rondo, marc, monroe, Al, and Dragic all do.

Yeah sure man, none of those count. Kobe has zero to do with Dwight not staying, because him leaving was totally a great thing for this franchise. Im sure Kobes contract is great for this team, really allows room to build. What a discount too, I mean Kobes playing so well and not actually totally garbage!

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Kobe has made it impossible to defend him. For years people have said this guy was an egotistical d-bag that was only concerned about himself. This year, he is doing his best to prove them right.

I only watch the part of the games when he is on the bench. I cant stand his play this year. Dude needs to retire. I can go to the park and watch slow guys pump fake 4 times and settle for 20 foot jumpers with guys draped all over him

Raps18-19 Champ
11-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Kobe will never retire. He still thinks he's in his prime.

lakersfan01
11-30-2014, 01:26 PM
:laugh: the guy hits a wall and can't make anything after the 1st half

rhd420
12-01-2014, 02:52 PM
That's not how it works though.

His economic value? Sure he is underpaid.

His player value? Not a chance he's worth $25 mil (which is how players get paid).

What - no it's not - you have it in reverse and correct the 1st time, economics ALWAYS come first

Raps18-19 Champ
12-01-2014, 03:06 PM
What - no it's not - you have it in reverse and correct the 1st time, economics ALWAYS come first

Not at all. What's the goal of running an NBA team? To win a title right? In that case, do GMs sign players who generate money or who can contribute to win a title?

I can literally give Yao the max, start him for 5 mins, then sit on the bench and I can make a hell of a lot of money from jersey sales but that's not happening because he's not good anymore.

mufridaz
12-01-2014, 04:29 PM
I wanta say kobe right now has over 200 million dollars. That's a fact. I want to guess that in his basketball career he has made over 400 million before taxes.

Kobe had a tore achiles injury and sat out a big part of the season we didn't know if he would even be half the player he was and they offered him this huge salary for 2 years without him even being healthy and without them even seeing him play after. Its kinda like say you have 500k and you buy a house sight unseen you either get something that maybe a profit or you might get a dud one that the drug dealers have used as a drug house all the metal piping is gone holes in thewalls spray paint everywhere bed bugs roaches everywhere.

Knowing that playersr like dirk like tim Duncan took less a lot less like 10 mil that should

mufridaz
12-01-2014, 04:34 PM
that should of been the max 10 mil. I mean most players never even come back from such a devastating injury and we also had a knee injury it was like 18 months or so he's sitting there collecting a 30 million dollar paycheck sitting on the sideline.

Most business savy people know when your signing your contract to say hey every kobe jersey you sell I want 10% cut of that. Like writers can say well hey I'm selling you my script I want a cut of every book you sell as well. The lakers spend a lot of money promoting kobe and making his brand what it is today. So its not all kobe's doing by himself. Does he sell tickets sure he does. Do players have a right to be paid their market value sure but just don't expect to win rings anytime soon with all the top players taking discounts to win rings.

Blame the cba. The buss future is the lakers they are not like a billionare that is doing this as a side project. Its their life their family business. Now I think th lakers try to take are of their players and treat them like family why you think fisher

mufridaz
12-01-2014, 04:47 PM
kobe's goal is to win a 6th ring why not put yourself in the best position to do so.

Don't take the highest possible salary any team could give you. I can tell you no other team in the nba would give kobe 25 mil dollars a year for 2 years when he just tore his achiles. None not one.

Kobe takes the money then complains about how the team is so bad.

J.hill took a discount when he first came here that next year he resigned for less, farmer took less last year, ed davis took a lot less this year.

People that only have a few million are making sacrifices yet the 200 million dollar man can't make some? Shaq now makes more than he ever did while playing basketball.

I don't have a problem with him taking the money per se but then don't complain when the team is the worst in franchise history. When you point your finger at someone you have 3 fingers pointing right back at you.

Kobe and his contract. Kobe and hiswanting antoni as coach. big part of the coach pick was b/c we had nash . Kobe and his attitude with d12 is main reason d12 left.

Just think if kobe stuck up for phil Jackson said hey you better pick phil or else. No he was stuck up antoni's as b/c of his dad and the European connection. If we had phil d12 would of stayed and found some common ground between kobe and d12. and if not phil at least a product of phil's philosophy the triangle which helped thbulls win all the rings and later the lakers.

I think everyone has some blame but kobe deserves a lot as well as the owners. Jeannie is head over jim. Jim es not have the last say Jennidoes and she did not stand up for her fiancée? Phil must have a huge ding dong to be hitting that from the east coast that's crazy. Or must have a super sonic jet.

If we had phil and brian shaw scottie pippen fisher some guys familiar with the triangle and still had kobe and d12 I think we would be in a much better spot and people would come to la not just for movie stars not just kobe not just d12 but to play for phil Jackson the guy with 11 rings give or take a few but I think he has either player in or coached 11 rings i'm not a historian might be wrong. but anyways you get the picture.

jim choose his pride over what was best for basketal. and bullcrap about dr buss's last wishes you go with your gut the fans are chanting we want phil we want phil we want phil. give the guy 2 days to get medical clearance not call him at 12 midnight saying we choose do o doo antodoo

mufridaz
12-01-2014, 04:59 PM
who was it that called nash and got him to come to la? you guessed it kobe. almost every major blunder the front office made kobe was just as big of a problem. nash d12, phil, all our draft picks for the forseable future all gone why should kobe care if the next 10 years lakers don't have any picks he going to be gone retired.

when you make 2 blunder like all those picks for nash and all those picks for d12 then get nothing for pau nothing for odom let all our decent FA's walk for nothing its management but its also kobe had a hand in all of it. why is it so hard for FA's to come to la now? Kobe is the reason. Melo and kobe might be friends but you think melo wants to watch kobe shoot 30 times a game and make 9 while another player is shooting 5-7 from 3?

spurs won b/c of ball movement passing unselfishness. if kobe is just going to ball hog brick away not play defense and not get others involved or trust his teammates then you have a problem. 30 shots is too many.

kobe is shooting what 20 something percent from 3 this year under 50 percent actually its like low 40s worse of his career I believe. he's not a 3 pt shooter the other day he shot a fade away 3 down by 1 pt instead of shooting a 2 that's stupid its idiotic.

rhd420
12-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Not at all. What's the goal of running an NBA team? To win a title right? In that case, do GMs sign players who generate money or who can contribute to win a title?

I can literally give Yao the max, start him for 5 mins, then sit on the bench and I can make a hell of a lot of money from jersey sales but that's not happening because he's not good anymore.

I wonder if you go up to your boss, say hey I'm doing over 40% of the labor generating X amount of dollars for the company - I want you to CUT my salary so we can get other guys to help out, then you have a point - this is a business both profitable to Kobe and the Lakers.

Think about it, this is a INGENIOUS idea from the Lakers (the Buss family) and Kobe, you get his the scoring title, you pay a salary knowing you can't get any players and there lies excuses for both the franchise and the player to go AFTER the scoring title, market the player and come under the salary cap

You as a fans get mad, you want the wins I get it, as a Lakers fan so do I, but to say blame Kobe or management - your barking up the wrong tree, this team was decided by the fans - keep Kobe at all cost, and yet as I said before, naw - it's never the fans fault right?

Simply put, enjoy the run - watch records fall - free agents know they aren't going to succeed or market their brand as a Laker, there will be a few who want to get paid but the Durants, CP3, LeBrons, Davis etc ... they know success for them in a Lakers jersey comes after #24 retires. You know that's been the plan last year, this year and the following year after that. YET - let's be surprised again next year? C'mon now -

Raps18-19 Champ
12-01-2014, 09:50 PM
I wonder if you go up to your boss, say hey I'm doing over 40% of the labor generating X amount of dollars for the company - I want you to CUT my salary so we can get other guys to help out, then you have a point - this is a business both profitable to Kobe and the Lakers.

Think about it, this is a INGENIOUS idea from the Lakers (the Buss family) and Kobe, you get his the scoring title, you pay a salary knowing you can't get any players and there lies excuses for both the franchise and the player to go AFTER the scoring title, market the player and come under the salary cap

You as a fans get mad, you want the wins I get it, as a Lakers fan so do I, but to say blame Kobe or management - your barking up the wrong tree, this team was decided by the fans - keep Kobe at all cost, and yet as I said before, naw - it's never the fans fault right?

Simply put, enjoy the run - watch records fall - free agents know they aren't going to succeed or market their brand as a Laker, there will be a few who want to get paid but the Durants, CP3, LeBrons, Davis etc ... they know success for them in a Lakers jersey comes after #24 retires. You know that's been the plan last year, this year and the following year after that. YET - let's be surprised again next year? C'mon now -

I'm not saying Kobe has to take a paycut. I'm saying he's stupid to think he took a discount for this team to win because based on his production, he's overpaid (which plays a big part in how you should be paid in this type of environment). The budget in this case is the salary cap and the salary cap only considered play based on production.

Rocco007
12-02-2014, 01:09 AM
Laker Girls @LakerGirls about 45 minutes ago

Hey everyone, meet Rocco! I love spending quality time with this guy!

rhd420
12-02-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm not saying Kobe has to take a paycut. I'm saying he's stupid to think he took a discount for this team to win because based on his production, he's overpaid (which plays a big part in how you should be paid in this type of environment). The budget in this case is the salary cap and the salary cap only considered play based on production.

you mean his production this year has faded ... really, he's leading the league in scoring? He is the offense in most cases. If he was a piece of machinery he would be the most expensive as compared to the other parts correct - and yet you'll consider that part over priced? Time to take business courses

Raps18-19 Champ
12-02-2014, 04:39 PM
you mean his production this year has faded ... really, he's leading the league in scoring? He is the offense in most cases. If he was a piece of machinery he would be the most expensive as compared to the other parts correct - and yet you'll consider that part over priced? Time to take business courses

Lol if you don't think his production faded. He's shooting under 40%, his TS% is under 50% and his usage is the highest its ever been since 2006. Is he still good? Of course. Is his production worth $25 mil? Not a chance. You can argue that his economic value is more than $25 mil but that's not the context of the situation (the context is he said he took a big enough discount for this team to contend).

His production sure as hell isn't worth $25 million a year. And yes, just because he is an important piece doesn't mean it can't be overpriced and doesn't mean it's worth overpaying for that piece. Maybe you need to take a business course. You don't tie up a lot of cash on an item that isn't worth that much while destroying your flexibility for the rest of the budget.

Why the **** am I paying 40% of my budget for an engine when I can get an engine to produce more efficiently at a better rate for a cheaper cost in the market (a cheap enough option that it allows me to get good enough pieces to improve the overall makeup of the car).

The budget is like $65 mil (soft cap). He took almost 40% of that and argued that it was a big enough discount for the team to contend. There's literally no way of defending that when he's not worth even worth $25 mil production wise. This guy literally ruined any flexibility our team has because of that hideous contract.

GREATNESS ONE
12-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Lol @ "our" team ;) you are persistent, I give you that buddy lolz

rhd420
12-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Lol if you don't think his production faded. He's shooting under 40%, his TS% is under 50% and his usage is the highest its ever been since 2006. Is he still good? Of course. Is his production worth $25 mil? Not a chance. You can argue that his economic value is more than $25 mil but that's not the context of the situation (the context is he said he took a big enough discount for this team to contend).

His production sure as hell isn't worth $25 million a year. And yes, just because he is an important piece doesn't mean it can't be overpriced and doesn't mean it's worth overpaying for that piece. Maybe you need to take a business course. You don't tie up a lot of cash on an item that isn't worth that much while destroying your flexibility for the rest of the budget.

Why the **** am I paying 40% of my budget for an engine when I can get an engine to produce more efficiently at a better rate for a cheaper cost in the market (a cheap enough option that it allows me to get good enough pieces to improve the overall makeup of the car).

The budget is like $65 mil (soft cap). He took almost 40% of that and argued that it was a big enough discount for the team to contend. There's literally no way of defending that when he's not worth even worth $25 mil production wise. This guy literally ruined any flexibility our team has because of that hideous contract.

The "engine" as you put it has several more parts attached to it than just on court performance - discount nothing, the Lakers paid LESS than his max, put it this way - the other scenario is Kobe playing for another team, look at the BANNERS, look at the names next to the championships, this is a team that celebrates it past players, with the Celtics being the other exception, that in itself is far more than 40%.

The FANS created this decision for the Buss family and Kobe, so don't start saying discount if by all means that player (Kobe) could have taken even more if he wanted to. The financial ramifications for Kobe NOT being a Laker would be far damaging for both him and the Lakers long term as well - and the impact would be felt even if the Lakers had a 20 game win increase and a playoff appearance vs Kobe playing for another team, YOU know it and I do as well

Fans created this - fans created Kobe's threshold for what he could demand - fans created that decision for the Buss family, and yet here you are saying "ruined" flexibility, there isn't a single free agent out there that would have been worth paying the luxury tax no less than somebody that wanted to play with Kobe, the Kobe that US Lakers fan created. If your going to put the blame on anybody, how about the fans and apologist for Kobe, how about us Lakers fans who celebrate players like Worthy and Johnson than expect this franchise to honor their players who played their entire career with the same team - this is the image of the Lakers, you as a fan created so you now know what the plan was last year, this year and next year and every year Kobe is on this squad ... fans did this so it's time to live with it

Odominator
12-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Kobe shouldn't complain about having a weak roster. He may have "taken a discount" but the cap doesn't change?.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-03-2014, 12:14 AM
The "engine" as you put it has several more parts attached to it than just on court performance - discount nothing, the Lakers paid LESS than his max, put it this way - the other scenario is Kobe playing for another team, look at the BANNERS, look at the names next to the championships, this is a team that celebrates it past players, with the Celtics being the other exception, that in itself is far more than 40%.

The FANS created this decision for the Buss family and Kobe, so don't start saying discount if by all means that player (Kobe) could have taken even more if he wanted to. The financial ramifications for Kobe NOT being a Laker would be far damaging for both him and the Lakers long term as well - and the impact would be felt even if the Lakers had a 20 game win increase and a playoff appearance vs Kobe playing for another team, YOU know it and I do as well

Fans created this - fans created Kobe's threshold for what he could demand - fans created that decision for the Buss family, and yet here you are saying "ruined" flexibility, there isn't a single free agent out there that would have been worth paying the luxury tax no less than somebody that wanted to play with Kobe, the Kobe that US Lakers fan created. If your going to put the blame on anybody, how about the fans and apologist for Kobe, how about us Lakers fans who celebrate players like Worthy and Johnson than expect this franchise to honor their players who played their entire career with the same team - this is the image of the Lakers, you as a fan created so you now know what the plan was last year, this year and next year and every year Kobe is on this squad ... fans did this so it's time to live with it

What the hell does loyalty, fans, financial ramifications, etc have to do with what he said? Read what he said. The context of his statement is about CONTENDING.

He said "I took a big enough discount for the team to CONTEND". So hes saying basketball wise, his $25 mil contract and the ******** space we had to offer gave us opportinity the chance to build a contending team. All Im saying is that's ******** from a basketball perspective. You keep bringing up stuff that isnt relevant in the context of what he said.

If you wamna talk economics and loyalty, sure you can pay him whaever the hell you want. But it doesnt change the fact hes overpaid production wise and he never gave our damn te a chance to get pieces to contend.

Vinylman
12-03-2014, 10:33 AM
What the hell does loyalty, fans, financial ramifications, etc have to do with what he said? Read what he said. The context of his statement is about CONTENDING.

He said "I took a big enough discount for the team to CONTEND". So hes saying basketball wise, his $25 mil contract and the ******** space we had to offer gave us opportinity the chance to build a contending team. All Im saying is that's ******** from a basketball perspective. You keep bringing up stuff that isnt relevant in the context of what he said.

If you wamna talk economics and loyalty, sure you can pay him whaever the hell you want. But it doesnt change the fact hes overpaid production wise and he never gave our damn te a chance to get pieces to contend.

Haha... another guy getting frustrated engaging the nitwit that is RHD420...

you guys just need to ignore him because his entire premise is flawed (ie the fact that the Lakers couldn't have signed kobe for less than they did).

Lakersfan2483
12-03-2014, 02:03 PM
It's funny to me how some people on here never seem to blame Lakers management for giving Kobe 24 million. Also, the lakers signed a 3 billion dollar deal with Time Warner not to mention all of the money they make off of other deals, etc....., this team is more than capable of paying two max contracts along side kobe and going over the salary cap. In other words, ownership can afford to pay penalties for being over the cap; however the question is do they want to?

rhd420
12-03-2014, 02:43 PM
It's funny to me how some people on here never seem to blame Lakers management for giving Kobe 24 million. Also, the lakers signed a 3 billion dollar deal with Time Warner not to mention all of the money they make off of other deals, etc....., this team is more than capable of paying two max contracts along side kobe and going over the salary cap. In other words, ownership can afford to pay penalties for being over the cap; however the question is do they want to?

why exactly would you want to pay over the cap for another max deal to whom if you added another player would probably what, get you another 10 wins if that - Lance Stephenson was a free agent? Didn't the Lakers try to get Melo and how did that play out?

Funny thing is the truth hurts for fans that WE created this environment that management chose - we created this scenario and yet chose to blame management for a decision that WE shifted them to.

Kobe DID give in fact a discount to the Lakers - he could have went for more and gotten it, what other options did Lakers management have, your not going to let your golden ticket leave - what make Kobe the bad guy and ruin has "image", not going to happen.

Sorry VM, the premise is very much on point and the blame can spread around to include the fans ... look at the ratings, increased from last year just because Kobe is playing, TW is going to make their money along with the Buss family - there is a X amount where as a business you have to calculate taking on another max deal and paying the luxury tax long term for X amount of wins, no one player is worth it now

So enjoy the Kobe retirement tour that fans and the Lakers created -

foonaka
12-03-2014, 03:35 PM
It's funny to me how some people on here never seem to blame Lakers management for giving Kobe 24 million.

I, too, find it funny that Kobe gets all the blame for this contract. It takes two to make a deal. Was it right? I don't know. Not sure I wouldn't have done the same thing if I was in management's shoes. That said, the team (and by team, I mean Jim Buss) had opportunities to improve anyway (see Thomas, Isaiah... who incidentally has said he wanted to come here, but the Lakers never offered) and chose to go all in or all out on two guys who were never going to come here (LeBron & Carmelo).

I don't blame Kobe for the cap mess. Only the Buss family is to blame for that. As I said, they could have begun to fix it by adding some upper mid-level players, but chose not to. I mean, Wes 'Freaking' Johnson over Isaiah Thomas & Lance Stephenson? That's what you get when you wet the bed waiting for something that's not even realistic.

deadman8586
12-03-2014, 03:42 PM
I, too, find it funny that Kobe gets all the blame for this contract. It takes two to make a deal. Was it right? I don't know. Not sure I wouldn't have done the same thing if I was in management's shoes. That said, the team (and by team, I mean Jim Buss) had opportunities to improve anyway (see Thomas, Isaiah... who incidentally has said he wanted to come here, but the Lakers never offered) and chose to go all in or all out on two guys who were never going to come here (LeBron & Carmelo).

I don't blame Kobe for the cap mess. Only the Buss family is to blame for that. As I said, they could have begun to fix it by adding some upper mid-level players, but chose not to. I mean, Wes 'Freaking' Johnson over Isaiah Thomas & Lance Stephenson? That's what you get when you wet the bed waiting for something that's not even realistic.

The lakers want their pick back even if it means tanking.

royal bob
12-03-2014, 04:16 PM
The current condition the Lakers are in is far more reaching than Kobe's contract. Him saying he took a discount to play the next two seasons? Big woof! That's his arrogance talking....and he's entitled to it. Everyone thinks they are a max contract player. The problem is the CBA isnt structured to embrace that idea. Being a player is a money grab anyway. Even though the NBA is doing well financially, it cannot allow salaries to skyrocket and survive.

When Kobe retires, a real discussion can take place on how the next era of Laker basketball can be built....which I'm sure is a daily conversation in the front office already. A multi-billion dollar franchise doesnt survive on knee-jerk decisions. Kobe tends to talk too much....someone please tell me this is a total surprise.

Vinylman
12-03-2014, 05:23 PM
why exactly would you want to pay over the cap for another max deal to whom if you added another player would probably what, get you another 10 wins if that - Lance Stephenson was a free agent? Didn't the Lakers try to get Melo and how did that play out?

Funny thing is the truth hurts for fans that WE created this environment that management chose - we created this scenario and yet chose to blame management for a decision that WE shifted them to.

Kobe DID give in fact a discount to the Lakers - he could have went for more and gotten it, what other options did Lakers management have, your not going to let your golden ticket leave - what make Kobe the bad guy and ruin has "image", not going to happen.

Sorry VM, the premise is very much on point and the blame can spread around to include the fans ... look at the ratings, increased from last year just because Kobe is playing, TW is going to make their money along with the Buss family - there is a X amount where as a business you have to calculate taking on another max deal and paying the luxury tax long term for X amount of wins, no one player is worth it now

So enjoy the Kobe retirement tour that fans and the Lakers created -

thanks for the sewage mitch...

Your inability to understand that kobe could have been had by the Lakers for 6-7 million less makes your entire argument irrelevant... In fact, if you believe your own BS then the Lakers would have been willing to max kobe out and not even have worried if he hit FA...

which is it? The FO are geniuses or *******... the facts indicate the latter

rhd420
12-03-2014, 09:24 PM
thanks for the sewage mitch...

Your inability to understand that kobe could have been had by the Lakers for 6-7 million less makes your entire argument irrelevant... In fact, if you believe your own BS then the Lakers would have been willing to max kobe out and not even have worried if he hit FA...

which is it? The FO are geniuses or *******... the facts indicate the latter

Neither - it was US as fans who enjoyed the championship years of the Lakers, the ability to retire long time Lakers, etc. You seem smart enough, look at last season and this season, you didn't think this team was built to win right? Difference is this year the Lakers hired a sympathetic head coach whom the fans will forgive - don't have to draw you a blueprint do I?

No, your argument is simply based on speculation ... and mines, well factually he did give the Lakers a deal under the max and economically you can't even argue that if the Lakers lose Bryant is would have cost much more than his $25 Mil, also the fact that he's now in the twilight of his careers and risking a potential long term injury, no that can't be it right? Naw ... risk vs reward, I'll give you some time to think about that, Kobe didn't really take that much time did he as well as management

The fans created this, they wanted Kobe to remain a Laker, Kobe wanted compensation and rightfully so ... not blaming him one bit. So why take LESS, potentially get injured for the rest of your career, take off the little rose colored glasses there, we as fans want this, the Buss family and Kobe made it happen - the losses and how bad the team is, well that inconsequential compared to the dollars LOST if Kobe did hit FA and played on a NBA that wasn't the Lakers as well as I repeat, the Lakers taking a bigger hit financially than his annual salary

Vinylman
12-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Neither - it was US as fans who enjoyed the championship years of the Lakers, the ability to retire long time Lakers, etc. You seem smart enough, look at last season and this season, you didn't think this team was built to win right? Difference is this year the Lakers hired a sympathetic head coach whom the fans will forgive - don't have to draw you a blueprint do I?

No, your argument is simply based on speculation ... and mines, well factually he did give the Lakers a deal under the max and economically you can't even argue that if the Lakers lose Bryant is would have cost much more than his $25 Mil, also the fact that he's now in the twilight of his careers and risking a potential long term injury, no that can't be it right? Naw ... risk vs reward, I'll give you some time to think about that, Kobe didn't really take that much time did he as well as management

The fans created this, they wanted Kobe to remain a Laker, Kobe wanted compensation and rightfully so ... not blaming him one bit. So why take LESS, potentially get injured for the rest of your career, take off the little rose colored glasses there, we as fans want this, the Buss family and Kobe made it happen - the losses and how bad the team is, well that inconsequential compared to the dollars LOST if Kobe did hit FA and played on a NBA that wasn't the Lakers as well as I repeat, the Lakers taking a bigger hit financially than his annual salary

Again, I will say it really slowly for you...

ALL OF WHAT YOU SAY ABOVE... WHICH I DON'T NECESSARILY AGREE WITH... COULD HAVE HAPPENED FOR $6-7 MILLION LESS IF THE LAKERS NEGOTIATED A MARKET DEAL FOR KOBE...

The Lakers were never going to lose Kobe in FA because they always had the ability to max him out which no one else could have.

As a supposed fan of the Lakers I find it interesting that you are willing to fill the Buss family wallets rather than begin a proper rebuild.

rhd420
12-04-2014, 02:32 PM
Again, I will say it really slowly for you...

ALL OF WHAT YOU SAY ABOVE... WHICH I DON'T NECESSARILY AGREE WITH... COULD HAVE HAPPENED FOR $6-7 MILLION LESS IF THE LAKERS NEGOTIATED A MARKET DEAL FOR KOBE...

The Lakers were never going to lose Kobe in FA because they always had the ability to max him out which no one else could have.

As a supposed fan of the Lakers I find it interesting that you are willing to fill the Buss family wallets rather than begin a proper rebuild.

and I'll say it AGAIN, your idea is speculative ... period, the Lakers on a marketing perspective would LOSE more money than what was offered to Kobe, in fact don't be surprised if they do the same thing if they have a extension

Remember, it only takes one team to drive up the price - the Lakers would have paid the counter which hey would have been around the same value that his contract is now, would it made you feel better if that happened? Is that what it is - instead of speculative, if another team offered a big contract similar to Kobe's, the Lakers matched, then this whole thing would have been mute - vs a initial offer that was accepted, this isn't the swap meet

BUT yet you don't look at the entire NBA market do you, if all teams gave FA the same offer, there are very little players who want to play with the Lakers during the Kobe.

The ENTIRE league knows what the Lakers are doing, they are appeasing a fan base that created Kobe's image, a fan base that outnumbers Lakers fans that want wins or improvement if the cost is losing Kobe, it's a great business decision, viewership is up from last year and there is a built in excuse for Byron Scott and Bryant in terms of less wins. A proper rebuild comes AFTER Kobe retires ... don't you get it yet, the cash cow, which you think could have came cheaper (laughable) but then again what FA would have helped for that savings but then if the results are the same ... let me guess, you'd blame management right?

If your a Lakers fan, would you have wanted Magic Johnson for another 3 seasons and a losing record OR Nick, Campbell, Eddie? Think about it ... it was a brilliant move from the Buss family business wise

Jenceman
12-04-2014, 03:28 PM

YOU CANT JUST BLINDLY GO OVER THE CAP.

How do people not understand this??

Jenceman
12-04-2014, 03:31 PM
and I'll say it AGAIN, your idea is speculative ... period, the Lakers on a marketing perspective would LOSE more money than what was offered to Kobe, in fact don't be surprised if they do the same thing if they have a extension

Remember, it only takes one team to drive up the price - the Lakers would have paid the counter which hey would have been around the same value that his contract is now, would it made you feel better if that happened? Is that what it is - instead of speculative, if another team offered a big contract similar to Kobe's, the Lakers matched, then this whole thing would have been mute - vs a initial offer that was accepted, this isn't the swap meet

BUT yet you don't look at the entire NBA market do you, if all teams gave FA the same offer, there are very little players who want to play with the Lakers during the Kobe.

The ENTIRE league knows what the Lakers are doing, they are appeasing a fan base that created Kobe's image, a fan base that outnumbers Lakers fans that want wins or improvement if the cost is losing Kobe, it's a great business decision, viewership is up from last year and there is a built in excuse for Byron Scott and Bryant in terms of less wins. A proper rebuild comes AFTER Kobe retires ... don't you get it yet, the cash cow, which you think could have came cheaper (laughable) but then again what FA would have helped for that savings but then if the results are the same ... let me guess, you'd blame management right?

If your a Lakers fan, would you have wanted Magic Johnson for another 3 seasons and a losing record OR Nick, Campbell, Eddie? Think about it ... it was a brilliant move from the Buss family business wise

A brilliant move? My goodness.

rhd420
12-04-2014, 03:59 PM
A brilliant move? My goodness.

Well what other options were there? Think about it?
No other free agents available ... AND also even if there were would you go over the cap for maybe 10-20 game and possibly playoff appearance

Why not MILK it, market this Kobe think ... pay him the money and avoid the free agency market, and a team who can base their entire season on Kobe to at least give them attention (something the Lakers are doing now but would be more beneficial of course for LA than any other team).

I really don't think fans get this, there were no options out there ... LeBron, Love, Carmelo, etc ... those franchise players aren't coming to the Lakers with Kobe on the squad, even if they did, they KNOW its the Kobe show right now, WE as fans created it. This team decision is BASED on the fans saying Kobe's RINGS not the Lakers, Kobe won those titles by himself etc.

I repeat BRILLIANT move to cater to those fans

Jenceman
12-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Well what other options were there? Think about it?
No other free agents available ... AND also even if there were would you go over the cap for maybe 10-20 game and possibly playoff appearance

Why not MILK it, market this Kobe think ... pay him the money and avoid the free agency market, and a team who can base their entire season on Kobe to at least give them attention (something the Lakers are doing now but would be more beneficial of course for LA than any other team).

I really don't think fans get this, there were no options out there ... LeBron, Love, Carmelo, etc ... those franchise players aren't coming to the Lakers with Kobe on the squad, even if they did, they KNOW its the Kobe show right now, WE as fans created it. This team decision is BASED on the fans saying Kobe's RINGS not the Lakers, Kobe won those titles by himself etc.

I repeat BRILLIANT move to cater to those fans

It was a stupid move in every way shape and form. You could "cater" to Kobe fans and pay him 12-15 million a year.

Bozeman
12-08-2014, 05:04 AM
Kobe would have stayed for cheap. Sure he could have gotten offers from bottom dwellers. But think hed do that? All the contenders wouldnt have given more than maybe 6to8 mil a year. If management forced the hand kobe would be a laker for probably 10 mil and would have looked like hes taking a "paycut" to win a chip.

Brilliant? More like ********.

royal bob
12-08-2014, 02:42 PM
I dont think you could bank on Kobe's loyalty. After suing his own parents, you could say that his decisions are made purely from the standpoint of money gain. Basketball is no longer a game for Kobe..it's a business. It's all measured by profit/loss, and he has an inflated estimation of his own value.....so, saying he would have gladly signed for $7 million less is simply not realistic. He could have just as easily walked away.....and those who are considered valuable fans (the ones spending 10's of thousands of dollars, if not 100's) told management they wanted Kobe back....whatever the cost. So...here we are.

Vinylman
12-08-2014, 03:14 PM
I dont think you could bank on Kobe's loyalty. After suing his own parents, you could say that his decisions are made purely from the standpoint of money gain. Basketball is no longer a game for Kobe..it's a business. It's all measured by profit/loss, and he has an inflated estimation of his own value.....so, saying he would have gladly signed for $7 million less is simply not realistic. He could have just as easily walked away.....and those who are considered valuable fans (the ones spending 10's of thousands of dollars, if not 100's) told management they wanted Kobe back....whatever the cost. So...here we are.

Again, this is not zero sum game theory... it is a negotiation... but again, who was in a position to sign kobe this offseason for as much as he is making... just give me one viable team.

Lets not forget that kobe had played only 6 games in 15 months...

one team that was going to tie up 1/3rd of their cap... just one team... and remember kobe would have had to have been willing to go there and play.

rhd420
12-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Again, this is not zero sum game theory... it is a negotiation... but again, who was in a position to sign kobe this offseason for as much as he is making... just give me one viable team.

Lets not forget that kobe had played only 6 games in 15 months...

one team that was going to tie up 1/3rd of their cap... just one team... and remember kobe would have had to have been willing to go there and play.

give it up - you mean a team like Charlotte, Orlando, Detroit - heck name a team without a Superstar doesn't see the marketing potential of tying up most of their cap and do the same thing the Lakers are doing now with Kobe just on a lesser role? Imagine Philly, Kobe's home coming and mentoring that young roster? Oh it hasn't been done before - you mean like Jordan with Washington Iverson with Denver? If the NBA is about marketing super stars, Kobe is a commodity and you know it ... regardless of losses, Minnesota literally had KG and Love as just one example, Barkley in Philly, should I go on ...

I'm serious, are you just mad the process was never done ... Kobe and the Lakers making a agreement so soon? Just the sheer fact it was more money and can be used as leverage, as I said, Jordan retired with the Wizards, Hakeem and Ewing were Raptors ... yes Kobe would have went especially if it might have been Philly

Vinylman
12-08-2014, 04:38 PM
give it up - you mean a team like Charlotte, Orlando, Detroit - heck name a team without a Superstar doesn't see the marketing potential of tying up most of their cap and do the same thing the Lakers are doing now with Kobe just on a lesser role? Imagine Philly, Kobe's home coming and mentoring that young roster? Oh it hasn't been done before - you mean like Jordan with Washington Iverson with Denver? If the NBA is about marketing super stars, Kobe is a commodity and you know it ... regardless of losses, Minnesota literally had KG and Love as just one example, Barkley in Philly, should I go on ...

I'm serious, are you just mad the process was never done ... Kobe and the Lakers making a agreement so soon? Just the sheer fact it was more money and can be used as leverage, as I said, Jordan retired with the Wizards, Hakeem and Ewing were Raptors ... yes Kobe would have went especially if it might have been Philly

really? you must think people are stupid

Jordan and Iverson are your examples

one was the owner of the team the other was traded...

that is the type of logic I would expect

so kobe wanted to play in philly Detroit or charlotte... more solid logic ... again... how was Detroit gonna pay him that without renouncing players? do you understand how the cap works? obviously not

so charlotte was gonna dismantle a playoff team to sign kobe... sounds about right... if you are a participant in the special Olympics

philly? really? they were obviously in the market for FA's this summer... oh wait... no they weren't they were dumping anything they could so that they could be WAY under the cap so they could add another 8-10 second rounders come this deadline just like last year...

Orlando... not enough cap space...

Again... your analysis is beyond stupid

as for your ewing / hakeem retiring with those teams... those guys were definitely making max deals under a restrictive CBA... oh wait ... no they weren't

do you even know what kobe's max was? do you?

Again... this whole discussion is asinine... they FO bent over... it is that simple

there was ZERO risk letting him go to FA

Bozeman
12-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Kobe has 2 girls who are entrenched in so cal. He also has a wife that he cheated on and one that was gonna divorce him just a few years ago.

People seem to forget these players are also human and have families.

There would have been no other oppotunity for him with the clippers or gst. Which would have been the only 2 teams he would have went to.

Either way you call his bluff and if need be you up the offer. I mean its simple business 101.

Vinylman
12-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Kobe has 2 girls who are entrenched in so cal. He also has a wife that he cheated on and one that was gonna divorce him just a few years ago.

People seem to forget these players are also human and have families.

There would have been no other oppotunity for him with the clippers or gst. Which would have been the only 2 teams he would have went to.

Either way you call his bluff and if need be you up the offer. I mean its simple business 101.

exactly... except the idiots didn't even give him a chance to bluff... the Doc would have been embarrassed by the stupidity of the idiots in the FO

rhd420
12-08-2014, 08:06 PM
exactly... except the idiots didn't even give him a chance to bluff... the Doc would have been embarrassed by the stupidity of the idiots in the FO

... tisk, tisk, like I said you still don't get it, it just takes a SINGLE team to have a bluff and by all means and I don't have to keep saying "speculative", you aren't sure there would have been one or are just angry the process wasn't followed

No matter how much you huff and puff, your not right and Kobe's deal benefited him and the Lakers
Worst thing calling his bluff, he retires ... how's that going to be leaving money on the table for both parties, not good business sense is it and what example for Kobe's entire career would have given you ANY hit at all he would have taken such a pay cut, let me count - none

1st, calm down ... what's done is done, 2nd, this plan was in place last year and before your head explodes if there is a extension that mirrors this one (which there probably will be), it will still be a viable business move for the team and Kobe.

Players contracts and careers are short and by no means do I fault a player for getting as much as he possibly can, for those who say he made enough money, there is no such thing. Kobe isn't wired like Duncan or Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning ... yet when he goes for the "MAMBA" thing in business and not off the court, you as a fan get mad really?

AND by the way, another team giving away assets to make cap room and or not contend, Memphis and Gasol or as recent as the Celtics with Pierce and KG, naw none of that is possible right? Teams would have made room for Kobe just on a marketing stand point and given away picks and assets - a playoff appearance does not garner enough financial benefits as getting a "franchise" player even if it's at the tail end of their career

Bozeman
12-09-2014, 03:27 AM
Huh? If you havent checked the ratingswhen the lakers suck less people watch. Less merch is sold. Less people come to the games. This is inevitable soon anyway once kobe leaves. So if he left, so what. You rebuild. In this day and age the fans are a lot more forgiving when they see all other stars take paycuts.

I mean kobe had to take that money. With thatinjury too? For christs sake he probably had thoughts of never playing again.

From all accounts therw was little to no negotiating.

Look I love kobe, but the front of that jersey means the most and an owner should do whats best for the fans that pay for winning lakers basketball. That should always be the priority. Right now we are pissing away years when we either could have started a true rebuild, had money to go after more significant players.

Instead we are stuck at the bottom of the barrel with no plan outside of praying a guy like kd will come 2 years from now to a team with virtually no roster.

rhd420
12-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Huh? If you havent checked the ratingswhen the lakers suck less people watch. Less merch is sold. Less people come to the games. This is inevitable soon anyway once kobe leaves. So if he left, so what. You rebuild. In this day and age the fans are a lot more forgiving when they see all other stars take paycuts.

I mean kobe had to take that money. With thatinjury too? For christs sake he probably had thoughts of never playing again.

From all accounts therw was little to no negotiating.

Look I love kobe, but the front of that jersey means the most and an owner should do whats best for the fans that pay for winning lakers basketball. That should always be the priority. Right now we are pissing away years when we either could have started a true rebuild, had money to go after more significant players.

Instead we are stuck at the bottom of the barrel with no plan outside of praying a guy like kd will come 2 years from now to a team with virtually no roster.

OK, not going to disagree with you one BUT, the name in the front of the jersey ABSOLUTELY means more ... but said it on another thread, look at the Detroit Pistons or San Antonio Spurs, nationally nobody watched them when they won titles (with the exception of this year with the Spurs and people wanting them to beat the Heat but it was more so that then the team)

Would I rather have Duncan and his career vs Kobe, ABSOLUTELY but we as fans from his rookie season, calling him the Mamba, supporting him through his tough times, saying Kobe's rings, not the Lakers, we as a whole fan base created the persona and yet are mad when he gets his way? Really?

The best way to say it, as I did on another thread, you'd rather see a bad movie with a "star" vs a really good independent movie with mediocre talent. This is LA, the Buss family understand this, Time Warner understands this ... this will be over once Kobe retires but I do see him signing a extension based on his health and he'll get whatever he wants - because more fans support Kobe than do a bunch of players named the Lakers since we created it

Vinylman
12-12-2014, 12:52 PM
... tisk, tisk, like I said you still don't get it, it just takes a SINGLE team to have a bluff and by all means and I don't have to keep saying "speculative", you aren't sure there would have been one or are just angry the process wasn't followed

No matter how much you huff and puff, your not right and Kobe's deal benefited him and the Lakers
Worst thing calling his bluff, he retires ... how's that going to be leaving money on the table for both parties, not good business sense is it and what example for Kobe's entire career would have given you ANY hit at all he would have taken such a pay cut, let me count - none

1st, calm down ... what's done is done, 2nd, this plan was in place last year and before your head explodes if there is a extension that mirrors this one (which there probably will be), it will still be a viable business move for the team and Kobe.

Players contracts and careers are short and by no means do I fault a player for getting as much as he possibly can, for those who say he made enough money, there is no such thing. Kobe isn't wired like Duncan or Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning ... yet when he goes for the "MAMBA" thing in business and not off the court, you as a fan get mad really?

AND by the way, another team giving away assets to make cap room and or not contend, Memphis and Gasol or as recent as the Celtics with Pierce and KG, naw none of that is possible right? Teams would have made room for Kobe just on a marketing stand point and given away picks and assets - a playoff appearance does not garner enough financial benefits as getting a "franchise" player even if it's at the tail end of their career

Again... more jibberish that shows ZERO understanding of the cap, the CBA, and kobe Bryant...

you are nothing more than a FO shill peddling their talking points...

rhd420
12-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Again... more jibberish that shows ZERO understanding of the cap, the CBA, and kobe Bryant...

you are nothing more than a FO shill peddling their talking points...

really, what exactly is the ramifications if your the GM and owner of a business - make your company the most money possible, increase the visibility of your assets - would you fire executives at Ford for making the let's say the Mustang (not true but for the sake of argument) the most profitable car line with the rest of the models being sub-standard BUT increasing profits? You don't see the whole vision of the NBA market and profitability - sorry teams go through these stretches, this time its so apparent the course isn't about winning and yet here you are CBA, Caps and Kobe? Really - you can't be that out of it can you?

Vinylman
12-12-2014, 03:20 PM
really, what exactly is the ramifications if your the GM and owner of a business - make your company the most money possible, increase the visibility of your assets - would you fire executives at Ford for making the let's say the Mustang (not true but for the sake of argument) the most profitable car line with the rest of the models being sub-standard BUT increasing profits? You don't see the whole vision of the NBA market and profitability - sorry teams go through these stretches, this time its so apparent the course isn't about winning and yet here you are CBA, Caps and Kobe? Really - you can't be that out of it can you?

like I said more jibberish from an amateur...

as for your business acumen ... Lets just say I have **** on the heads of smarter people than you...

rhd420
12-12-2014, 03:40 PM
like I said more jibberish from an amateur...

as for your business acumen ... Lets just say I have **** on the heads of smarter people than you...

insults - really, I guess it's a forum and you need to feel better about yourself some how?
As to this "is it working" let me see don't you post on the thread counting down to Kobe passing Jordan's scoring record? Shows relevance in a otherwise dismal season proving that it works
Will that be the lead story on all the sports channels along with Kobe's LAKERS career -yup
Is the ratings up this season even with losses - huh, yup
Oh will the Lakers make a profit again this season and be close to the top of the league in earnings yup

That my friend is how you win an argument with facts- please try to dispute the above
Any business relevance and profitability even in a down tread is successful and even keeping its fan base and customers - both done nicely this season and every season that Kobe plays for this team

Tisk tisk - really, gibberish and amateur - let me guess, more name calling and deflection from the topic because you have to retort back that is relevant?

Vinylman
12-12-2014, 07:45 PM
insults - really, I guess it's a forum and you need to feel better about yourself some how?
As to this "is it working" let me see don't you post on the thread counting down to Kobe passing Jordan's scoring record? Shows relevance in a otherwise dismal season proving that it works
Will that be the lead story on all the sports channels along with Kobe's LAKERS career -yup
Is the ratings up this season even with losses - huh, yup
Oh will the Lakers make a profit again this season and be close to the top of the league in earnings yup

That my friend is how you win an argument with facts- please try to dispute the above
Any business relevance and profitability even in a down tread is successful and even keeping its fan base and customers - both done nicely this season and every season that Kobe plays for this team

Tisk tisk - really, gibberish and amateur - let me guess, more name calling and deflection from the topic because you have to retort back that is relevant?

Please show us one post of yours that has any facts in it....you are continually FACTUALLY wrong on your posts... you have the right to your ignorant opinions but the facts are the facts...

try and stay focused on the discussion... you always try to change the subject when presented with facts....

explain to us again HOW the Lakers were going to go into the LT this past season "if they wanted to"

just facts please

Bozeman
12-13-2014, 04:08 AM
Lakers are 10th in attendance this year with kobe. Clippers are ahead of them. Clippers get more coverage and national exposure. If you havent realized the youth is flocking to rhe clippers and as long as the lakers are mediocre, the more chances the fickle la fans switch to the clippers.

You wanna talk about business rd? The lakers have never been second fiddle in la. Now they are, and as each year passes when they suck, the more chances la will become clipper nation.

So financially now maybe they are ok with this mediocrity, but the ramifications will hit them in the coming years when more than half the city will be sporting clipper colors.

SenileStern
12-13-2014, 06:29 AM
Isn't it weird how far below 50% Kobe shoots in every game? Shouldn't there at least be the occasional game, let's say once every other week, where he shoots 45+%?

jaydubb
12-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Kobe sux

rhd420
12-15-2014, 03:01 PM
Lakers are 10th in attendance this year with kobe. Clippers are ahead of them. Clippers get more coverage and national exposure. If you havent realized the youth is flocking to rhe clippers and as long as the lakers are mediocre, the more chances the fickle la fans switch to the clippers.

You wanna talk about business rd? The lakers have never been second fiddle in la. Now they are, and as each year passes when they suck, the more chances la will become clipper nation.

So financially now maybe they are ok with this mediocrity, but the ramifications will hit them in the coming years when more than half the city will be sporting clipper colors.

Really - what is the LEAD story on ESPN, your touting the Clippers really? The Clippers?
Second fiddle? To what - relevancy? You might want to check that - bring it, the Clippers and Sterling made a ton of money over the years with crappy teams and profitability, never to the levels of the Lakers but keep believing that

Unless Kobe leaves the Lakers - there is not one player on the Clippers as decorated and vested in LA sports than Kobe, not one player on that roster is chasing records, not one player will attract other teams fans to games to see as much as Kobe, yes this is about the Kobe marketing tour ... check back with me AFTER he retires but don't look at any sport channel and pretend that Kobe braking records isn't more important that Clippers wins and attendance in terms of fans.

Guess what, the Lakers were mediocre before - even with Kobe, post Magic, how did that go with the Clippers? New Owner sure - let me ask you, did the Angels surpass the Dodgers in LA when they won the World Series in popularity - did everybody change their jersey colors to red ... how about the Ducks vs the Kings in terms of Stanley Cups?

Yeah ... any more local examples of how the dominate sport teams were supposedly passed by and fans jumping ship in droves? Happy Holidays my friend .... sit back, watch Kobe and celebrate his achievements - it will be bigger than any Clippers playoff appearance