PDA

View Full Version : DEFENSE WHAT DO WE NEED TO BE A TOP 10 DEFENSE? 4 things

mufridaz
11-22-2014, 11:23 AM
1. defensive minded PG that can pass and drive to the rim doesn't have to shoot
2. defensive minded SF who can offer more than 8 per rating
3. rim protector that can block shots, rebound, and defend
4. get stretch 4 out of your mind find a dennis rodman type 4 like j.hill (rebounder) ; bring in dennis rodman to teach him how to be an elite defender; bing in scottie pippen to teach kobe how to play defense at old age
-----------------
1. for pg my top choice would be rondo, or a player like Beverly from houston
2. for SF I would go with iggudola or kerilinko a 2 way player
3. we're not made of money but maybe give majok a chance has to be upgrarde over sacre. If we upgrade at PG and SF we could swing with ed davis and j.hill

fantasy line up:
1. Rondo
2. Kobe
3. Iggudola
4. Ed davis
5. Jordan hill
have lin swaggy and boozer for bench mob. Now I know rondo is out but this is dreaming. I would take a player like Beverly that can just play solid defense. Both iggudola (coming off bench now) and more likely kerilinko can be had now from the nets and is a 2 way player.

if Houston had j.hill (they traded him to us lol) this year they would be really good I think. they have 3 defensive players Beverly pg, ariza sf, and d12 all ex lakers lol didn't the lakers draft Beverly?

In order to be a championship team we need a top 10 defense. This is a plan for the future on how to strive towards that goal.

Now how do we pay for this? Well if we can get that 4.5 mil for nash if he's cleared to be out for year and cut ellington and price we have roster spots.

We have wes as a defensive player already so we're likely stuck with him. We could bring in majok for C help.

Trade Kelly, sacre for 2nd round pick. We have ed davis that is valuable. And j.hill has some value but not for 10 mil maybe expiring contract. We also have Clarkson that could be worth a 1st round pick. Randle is not on the market. So we do have some assets although few. And we have a top 5 pick this year I hope:) and at least a 2nd rounder.

Not saying we have a chance this year we don't. But we should be working towards a defensive minded team. Don't replace all 3 positions this year just replace one or 2. Or even one. Then work on the other 2 positons this summer. Or even one this summer then making a final trade next year to be in the championship discussion.

But we need PG, SF, and C for starters. lin young boozer for bench is fine. If we start ed davis at PF and J.hill at C we could just maybe work on finding a pg for 4.5 mil or less this year if we get that nash exception. Even though wes sucks he is a decent defender.

So hopefully by end of the season we can have at least one of the pieces in place show players our goal our progression towards working towards a championship team again. Then you will get players. Look at paul pierce going to Washington this year. I have Washington as a top 4 team in the east. I had bulls, cavs, Washington, heat as top 4.

Rome isn't build in a day or a year but if we know we need 3 upgrades for starters and chip away at it one player at a time we eventually with reach our goal.

With a top 5 pick this year and randle and Clarkson next year we will have some solid young players. And with solid cap space opening up could get a 2 way SF. We can't splurge on every position or get a star player at every position but as long as they can play defense can hustle rebound pass have good basketball iq we can use them.

I would think we could find a solid Sf for 10 mil ish basically nash's salary this year. If we convert some of our young assets like Kelly for example into a 2nd round pick and with some haggling maybe we pick up a solid defensive PG or C on the cheap. Or make some sort of trade to upgrade.

I know iggudola is coming off bench now and could be expendable and I know kerilinko for nets can be had now and he makes 10 mil I believe. Give 'em nash Kelly and 2nd round pick done deal. Then try to find a solid PG this summer. Idk I just know our defense is terrible 140 points!!!!!

What are your ideas on how to get a better defense? I know we're looking at getting new players on our roster hope they can play defense whoever they are. Bring in majok LOL call up all our oversea plaeyrs have them all work out kick price and ellington to the curb. trade Kelly, sacre, nash for a box of rice.

We need help mitch!!!

We need help JIM!!!

We need help jennie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We want tacos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

free crooner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaydubb
11-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Are you high

mufridaz
11-22-2014, 11:29 AM
I wish you got some?

mufridaz
11-22-2014, 11:33 AM
I just want us to fix one starting roster spot this year, 1 next summer , 1 during trade season and we have a chance. But our team needs to have an identity and that needs to be defense and the players we bring in need to be elite defenders. As long as we have kobe and people can pass and have high iq we have a chance on offense end. I mean most points are layups dunks open shots running the floor backdoor screans cuts picks running to the rim. Most players can make layups. Have kobe shoot have rest defend rebound make layups/dunks.

They can start by benching boozer start ed davis with Jordan hill. wes is already defensive player. Now just find a starting PG that can defend and penetrate. Fix the Sf this summer.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-22-2014, 11:43 AM
A fish rots from the head down

Iron24th
11-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Who is Iggudola???

midwestlaker75
11-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Defense is a mindset, As well as about athleticism and fear. We need an 7'0" anchor. Before anybody says we had one....Yes, I agree; But he chose to move on for what ever his reasons were. So that ship has sailed.

Thus, Here is where you must start, A true Center. Not these PF hybrids playing in the middle like Hill & Davis. It will behoove the F/O to look at C Omer Asik next summer as he will be a solid option in that position.

Then after you find an anchor in the middle, You get a defender at the PG position...This is where the Rondo option comes in, Also a guy like Rondo could rub off on Clarkson as they have some of the same physical attributes. Dragic from Phoenix could also be an option. He is not as good of defender as Rondo, but he is decent.

Then comes the all important wing defender, Wes Johnson just ain't got it! He shows flashes like in the Houston game but then disappears. This is where if I were Mitch I would call the Chicago Bulls about the availability of G/F Tony Snell. It seems he is lost in the Bulls rotation and could be available.

If the rumors are true about Kevin Love truly testing the F/A market, Here is where he comes in...While Love is not a great defender, He is a great rebounder. If you team him with a C (Like Asik) your rebounding situation changes dramatically. Giving up too many offensive rebounds is the largest problem after transition defense.

You would put this team on the floor:
PG Rondo or Dragic/Clarkson/Filler
SG Bryant/Henry*
SF Snell/Young
PF Love/Randle*/Kelly*
C Asik/Davis/Filler
* Pending Health

While this is still not a championship roster, This is one that gets you back in the conversation. Seeing as we possibly will have 2 picks in the 1st rd next year+ A 2nd rd. pick we could then fortify the bench with more young players, And finishing with the motherload in 2016: Kevin Durant

Now this is a pipe dream, But I gotta have something to get me through this mess.

Vinylman
11-23-2014, 03:34 PM
what do the Lakers need?

A new roster

Rocco007
11-23-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm wondering if Boston would take Hill for Rondo? He's walking next summer anyway.. Hill's value has to be way up this year...not sure how much...But significant...This will prove to be one of Mitch's best moves...on a friendly contract...Lakers will just move in Ed Davis to replace him at a discounted price... it will be one of Mitch's best coups...

andy2518
11-23-2014, 10:02 PM
A new team, coach, GM, and owner.

LakerPride
11-23-2014, 10:07 PM
byron scott should resign. its a shame that the Lakers are pretty awful at defense, even worse than in D'antoni's tenure. Scott has no balls to sit and reprimand Kobe with his freelance defense.

The Lakers are worse under Byron Scott.

kblo247
11-24-2014, 02:33 AM
byron scott should resign. its a shame that the Lakers are pretty awful at defense, even worse than in D'antoni's tenure. Scott has no balls to sit and reprimand Kobe with his freelance defense.

The Lakers are worse under Byron Scott.

You understand the following

- the hornets with prime Paul lost by 50 in the playoffs
- the nets before Kidd and with Marbury were ranked 23/29 on D under Scott
- the Cavs were the first team in nba history to be at the bottom of the league in d for three straight years

Scott's never coached D without Frank

Bozeman
11-24-2014, 04:30 AM
LMAO.

Even if this was a team that at best would be average defensively, just imagine Rondo trying to dish out there to that team. There isn't one guy that can hit the 3 and 2 guys with little to no post game at all.

royal bob
11-24-2014, 04:59 AM
I don't think we're as far away as many here think we are....certainly not 4 players away. Imagine a prime Shaq in the middle with this current team. We currently do not have a center capable of playing the position well. Like the Cavs, I think a lot of our problems are chemistry related. More problems stem from players missing due to health concerns. Right now, I think our weakest spot is center....followed closely by small forward. Rondo is just another way to foolishly spend money we don't need to.

If for some reason Kevin Love were to bolt the Cavs after this season and come to LA, I'm not so sure he wouldn't be best at power forward. The Lakers biggest weakness over the last two or even three years has been the paint. Put a good rim protector in there, and we look very different.

Vinylman
11-24-2014, 10:09 AM
I don't think we're as far away as many here think we are....certainly not 4 players away. Imagine a prime Shaq in the middle with this current team. We currently do not have a center capable of playing the position well. Like the Cavs, I think a lot of our problems are chemistry related. More problems stem from players missing due to health concerns. Right now, I think our weakest spot is center....followed closely by small forward. Rondo is just another way to foolishly spend money we don't need to.

If for some reason Kevin Love were to bolt the Cavs after this season and come to LA, I'm not so sure he wouldn't be best at power forward. The Lakers biggest weakness over the last two or even three years has been the paint. Put a good rim protector in there, and we look very different.

good to see you are still in denial...

the roster ****... deal with it!

royal bob
11-24-2014, 01:53 PM
good to see you are still in denial...

the roster ****... deal with it!

It's not denial, it's dealing with the facts. The fact of the matter is that nearly none of these guys will be around next season....as a matter of design. This whole thing is simply to get through the final years of Kobe's contract....and to be as flexible as possible when the new CBA is signed.

Yeah, it would have been nice to get Randle some actual playing time this season, and not having a small forward worth a damn is clearly hurting this team. Top to bottom, I dont think this roster is as good as last year's team was, but it should be clear to everyone that the Lakers are doing everything they can to NOT have any contract commitments beyond 2016 (other than Young).

Denial is reserved for those who keep suggesting trades to get this guy and that guy, and the ones who think championship teams are assembled at the snap of a finger.

verceroth
11-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Kobe has been really bad on defense as of late. His rotations are pretty bad which leaves the rest of the perimeter open for 3's.
On offense, people need to start moving without the ball when Kobe has it. If he drives to the basket in traffic the chances of him actually passing the ball is very slim. So, standing around the perimeter is somewhat useless. Move around before he starts his move and it's likely he can see an opening and pass the ball. The guys are just standing around watching Kobe drive into traffic right now.

mufridaz
11-24-2014, 09:49 PM
I agree that Asik could be a major help if he's healthy. Don't know much of snell but anything has to be better than wes Johnson I said that all summer and we watched free agents go elsewhere.

I was wrong kerilinko on the nets only made 3 mil this year. I think he used to make 10 but he took a huge discount to go to the Russian billionaire nets. He has had a terrible year and not much playing time but I think for 3 mil it might be worth a shot. He used to be an elite defender and a decent player on offense as well.

Rhondo would be nice granted he's healthy always a triple double threat. The way things are shaping up in Cleveland kyrie might get traded and you know how much he loves kobe. Although 2 ball hogs on the same team is not always a good thing especially a point guard that goes 4 quarters without an assist.

If we get really lucky I think we could get that C from Kentucky that is nba bound I haven't seen him play much so not sure totally on that but heard he has a lot of potential.

1.rhondo/lin4mil/our 2nd rounder in draft
2.kobe/Clarkson/vet min FA
3.kerilinko/swaggy p 5mil/Houston 1st rounder
4.ed davis/Julius randle/ vet min FA
5.asik/top 5 pick/sacre

If lin stays for say 4 million i'm ok with that as a backup. Randle could take over ed's minutes once he gets some games under his belt. Having his start might be too much pressure. If we pay ed 3-5mil that might not be a bad deal either.

Not sure if the numbers work and we might have to give away a few picks in order to get the players we want or trade some of our assets expiring nash, j.hill, Kelly, sacre. But that team listed above kobe and swaggy are really the only terrible D players.

mufridaz
11-24-2014, 09:54 PM
someone asked who iggudola was you know the ex all star who plays on the bench for the warriors. don't know their cap situation but with klay signing a big deal there can't be much room left. Harrison barnes will want more money still have curry, klay, bogut and that other guy that plays power forward. iggudola is older but he's a 2 way player like deng like paul George. Are good on offense and defense.

Vinylman
11-25-2014, 10:28 AM
It's not denial, it's dealing with the facts. The fact of the matter is that nearly none of these guys will be around next season....as a matter of design. This whole thing is simply to get through the final years of Kobe's contract....and to be as flexible as possible when the new CBA is signed.

Yeah, it would have been nice to get Randle some actual playing time this season, and not having a small forward worth a damn is clearly hurting this team. Top to bottom, I dont think this roster is as good as last year's team was, but it should be clear to everyone that the Lakers are doing everything they can to NOT have any contract commitments beyond 2016 (other than Young).

Denial is reserved for those who keep suggesting trades to get this guy and that guy, and the ones who think championship teams are assembled at the snap of a finger.

that's cute...

you think their is an actual plan...

maybe 5 or 6 offseasons of whiffing on FA's will wake you up...

ibejeph
11-25-2014, 12:58 PM
that's cute...

you think their is an actual plan...

maybe 5 or 6 offseasons of whiffing on FA's will wake you up...

I've been reading some Zach Lowe lately. The Lakers could have had their PICK of free agents.

This off season was a disaster or it was a mastermind plot to snag a top 5 pick. I'm hoping the later while knowing it was the former.

LakerPride
11-25-2014, 11:08 PM
I guess D'Antoni is laughing somewhere. laughing at Kobe mocking him. with a lesser talent, mike d'antoni did a more decent job than the disaster that is Byron Scott. I guess he resigned to make a point, not only to the fans who mock him, but also to Kobe and Magic who disdain his basketball philosophy. I guess he is telling to himself, "What now, Kobe?"

Vinylman
11-26-2014, 09:07 AM
I guess D'Antoni is laughing somewhere. laughing at Kobe mocking him. with a lesser talent, mike d'antoni did a more decent job than the disaster that is Byron Scott. I guess he resigned to make a point, not only to the fans who mock him, but also to Kobe and Magic who disdain his basketball philosophy. I guess he is telling to himself, "What now, Kobe?"

you think this years roster is comparable to last year? sorry dude... it isn't even close..

And if you are a Dantoni system fan you clearly don't care about winning championships

LakerPride
11-26-2014, 09:45 PM
this year's roster is more decent than last year. nick young is the best scorer last year, now the lakers have kobe and nick young.Chris Kaman steve nash and kobe are all non-factor last year as well. kent bazemoore and marshoon brooks came in february. the lakers went to a no-defense coach to much worse no-defense coach with Scott whom kobe and magic supported because of their disdain to d'antoni philosophy. i wonder what's going through kobe's head right now that the lakers is last in defense in the league.

Rocco007
12-02-2014, 01:17 AM
Laker Girls @LakerGirls about 45 minutes ago

Hey everyone, meet Rocco! I love spending quality time with this guy!