PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James' off to worst start to a season since 2007.

spreadeagle
11-22-2014, 01:31 AM
The Washington Wizards easily handled the Cleveland Cavaliers on Friday en route to a 91-78 victory in the Verizon Centre in Washington.

Wizards point guard John Wall poured in 28 points on 12-of-20 shooting to lead all scorers in the win. He tacked on six rebounds, seven assists and four steals to round out the two-way effort.

Conversely, Cleveland struggled all night, primarily on the offensive end. The Cavaliers shot just 36 percent from the field and connected on only 22.2 percent of their three-point attempts.

Chiefly, Cavaliers forward LeBron James looked visibly frustrated on a number of occasions, especially as the game slipped further and further away in the fourth quarter. James shot 8-of-21 from the field and turned the ball over three times in a 22-point effort.

The match also featured a clash of two of the league's best (self-proclaimed) backcourts in Wall and Bradley Beal against Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters, one in which the Wizards easily won out. The win pushes Washington to 8-3 on the year, whereas the Cavaliers drop below .500 with a mark of 5-6. http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/637128

jerellh528
11-22-2014, 01:37 AM
He will turn it around, he's still about the 4th guy I would take behind durant, davis, and curry. I wouldn't worry about James.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-22-2014, 01:43 AM
He will turn it around, he's still about the 4th guy I would take behind durant, davis, and curry. I wouldn't worry about James.

Are we talking this season or in general?

jerellh528
11-22-2014, 01:45 AM
Are we talking this season or in general?

I'm not talking all time. I'm sayin now and going forward

Arch Stanton
11-22-2014, 01:55 AM
He's done. Trade him for Alonzo Gee.

SF8
11-22-2014, 01:58 AM
Again, Heat started 9-8. And then won 2 titles in just 4 years.

The first 15-30 games are guaranteed to be hard.

jerellh528
11-22-2014, 02:04 AM

Again the Heat are not the cavs.

GunFactor187
11-22-2014, 02:10 AM
Non-factor. Him and his team will turn it around, all about chemistry building.

WaDe03
11-22-2014, 02:16 AM

Exactly! They are 2 completely different teams I'm tired of people using the Heats 9-8 record as a cop out. They got their Bosh in Love but Kyrie is definitely no Wade.

Arch Stanton
11-22-2014, 02:31 AM

Yep as a Cavs fan I do agree with this... that Heat team had some elite defense. This Cavs team does not. At times they have shown the ability to defend respectively, but not at an elite level IMO. I do believe defense is effort, but I also believe that some guys are just better at defense because they have bought into it their entire lives. We have a lot of guys who like to play one on one hero ball, who have not bought into defense their entire lives.

I'm not panicked but definitely concerned. They need to find ways to get easy basket for each other. They have too much talent on the roster not to. It seems like every basket is either a ridiculous trick shot by Kyrie at the rim or LeBron launching a random 3. Where is the ball movement?

If this isn't figured out by mid-January I expect some trades and the head coach to be canned.

Clearly there is a disconnect after 11 games. Of course being a Cleveland fan I imagine the worst because I'm used to it. The drive...

flea
11-22-2014, 03:21 AM
Cavs will be a top 3 seed in the East, barring a major injury, but I think some of the early results could portend future problems. I've seen 3-4 games now and have never really been impressed by their offense. They aren't as athletic as the Heat, so their transition basically comes down to an end-of-prime Lebron and Irving, and their half-court offense is a mess.

They are very much of an offense that is no more than the sum of its parts at the moment. They should run the offense through Love a lot more than they do, IMO - and by that I don't necessarily mean touches or having him initiate the offense but just doing P&R action with him. That should come with time, as I could see Irving/Love as a very dangerous pick and pop combo later in the season. Lebron needs to work on doing things other than being a primary ballhandler. Whether that's being a roll man, getting a better rhythm on cuts, or just banging in the paint more. He is a good 3 point shooter now, but it's only in certain spots and usually with the ball in his hands. IMO he's not much of an asset as a floor spacer considering no wing defender in his right mind is going to play Lebron tight. Spoelstra had the right of it by playing Lebron in small ball lineups a lot - he's best when he can work around the paint with as few defenders as possible.

Defensively I don't really know what to say. Diaw shredded Love the other night, but everyone knows how bad Love is already. He is worthless in paint protection and he constantly allowed Diaw to get where he wanted. Granted, Diaw is a tough matchup for a lot of 4s because of his handles but considering love is a 6'8 big without much bulk he's going to have to be able to do something. Varejao is not the rim protector people want him to be, Thompson is not very good either, and Marion is really just there to bang where Lebron can't. If this team is going to succeed defensively it's going to be on the perimeter with their athletic young guards and Lebron creating turnovers, and having their bigs win the rebound battle every single night. I still think 10th-15th ranked adjusted D rating is a best case scenario for this team. Worst case is Marion and Varejao are hobbled and the wheels completely fall off.

HuRRiCaNeS324
11-22-2014, 03:32 AM
Lol i find it funny how differently the media is reacting to the Cavs. When the HEAT started off terrible, there was so much bad media... it got to me, im not gonna lie. I was getting pissed.

Seems to me no one is saying anything bad about the Cavs and everyone keeps saying how they'll eventually get it together.

Hotone1401
11-22-2014, 04:00 AM
It's crazy to think how great the Heat team made Lebron look. You can tell the Heat still have remnance of championship defense. I was so glad to see him leave but Lebron probably should've stayed in Miami IMO.

ThuglifeJ
11-22-2014, 04:03 AM

Exactly! They are 2 completely different teams I'm tired of people using the Heats 9-8 record as a cop out. They got their Bosh in Love but Kyrie is definitely no Wade.

You're right Wade was way more salty and slow, while kyrie is more just a self obsessed dbag. So a wash there. I'll give wade his passing and fastbreaks, but his offense looked stale I wanted to barf everytime he hopped into a jumpshot especially a 3.

Its more about cavs team defense looking weak, offense lacking passes, teenage egos being sensitive (waiters, kyrie, sort of bron), and no respect to lebron as their leader. And I'm no lebron fan but hes not gonna play any role besides lebron role. Who he is. Kyrie needs to get ****ing slapped with this 'still my team. I'm the best ever' crap.

Lebron does look a step slower all of a sudden though..sad but doesn't surprise me, by age 32 every players are a shell of their athleticism. Sad reality of NBA. Happens overnight :(

ThuglifeJ
11-22-2014, 04:12 AM
It's crazy to think how great the Heat team made Lebron look. You can tell the Heat still have remnance of championship defense. I was so glad to see him leave but Lebron probably should've stayed in Miami IMO.

That's because this was the first time, and with a prime Lebron, semi prime wade, prime bosh all coming together to a franchise who won a championship before (assist to stern). It was a big deal good and bad.

Edit: I quoted the wrong guy....meant for guy saying the media ragging on Miami early on

TylerSL
11-22-2014, 04:28 AM
Some of this is him adjusting to his new team and when they really get going his numbers will come up, but this Cavalier team is not as good as the teams he had in Miami so his efficiency will not be anything close to what it was in Miami, where he shot a staggering .566 from the floor the last 2 years with the Heat.

Lebron will be fine, and the Cavaliers will probably be fine. I do not believe Cleveland will ultimately have the success Miami had over the last 4 years, but luckily for them they have time to possibly prove me wrong.

jerellh528
11-22-2014, 04:53 AM
Some of this is him adjusting to his new team and when they really get going his numbers will come up, but this Cavalier team is not as good as the teams he had in Miami so his efficiency will not be anything close to what it was in Miami, where he shot a staggering .566 from the floor the last 2 years with the Heat.

Lebron will be fine, and the Cavaliers will probably be fine. I do not believe Cleveland will ultimately have the success Miami had over the last 4 years, but luckily for them they have time to possibly prove me wrong.

Not like Miami had, love is a free agent after this season, lebron signed for only 2 years with an opt out clause after this season, as well as Irving being a rfa this offseason. They don't really have time to gel like the heat had, I doubt lebron bolts again but if it doesn't workout this season, I could see love moving on and maybe Irving would sign somewhere else because he seems to not like playing 3rd fiddle.

Redrum187
11-22-2014, 05:06 AM
It's crazy to see his stats and say this is his worst season since 2007. A lot of players would kill to have that "bad" of a stat line.

Munkeysuit
11-22-2014, 05:22 AM
It's LEBRON! he don't got no worries.

Ty22Mitchell
11-22-2014, 05:44 AM
Not like Miami had, love is a free agent after this season, lebron signed for only 2 years with an opt out clause after this season, as well as Irving being a rfa this offseason. They don't really have time to gel like the heat had, I doubt lebron bolts again but if it doesn't workout this season, I could see love moving on and maybe Irving would sign somewhere else because he seems to not like playing 3rd fiddle.

Kyrie signed a contract extention this summer. Unless something changed he's there untill 2020.

jerellh528
11-22-2014, 05:50 AM
Kyrie signed a contract extention this summer. Unless something changed he's there untill 2020.

Ah yes, you're right

Big Zo
11-22-2014, 11:49 AM
That's because this was the first time, and with a prime Lebron, semi prime wade, prime bosh all coming together to a franchise who won a championship before (assist to stern). It was a big deal good and bad.

Edit: I quoted the wrong guy....meant for guy saying the media ragging on Miami early on
"Assist to Stern" huh? Well I hope you're not forgetting all the assists he gave the Lakers. Specifically in 2002. :)

Miltstar
11-22-2014, 01:13 PM

You forgot Bruno Caboclo

ILLUSIONIST^248
11-22-2014, 02:53 PM
I wasn't playing around when I said he starts his decline this year

WaDe03
11-22-2014, 02:59 PM
You're right Wade was way more salty and slow, while kyrie is more just a self obsessed dbag. So a wash there. I'll give wade his passing and fastbreaks, but his offense looked stale I wanted to barf everytime he hopped into a jumpshot especially a 3.

Its more about cavs team defense looking weak, offense lacking passes, teenage egos being sensitive (waiters, kyrie, sort of bron), and no respect to lebron as their leader. And I'm no lebron fan but hes not gonna play any role besides lebron role. Who he is. Kyrie needs to get ****ing slapped with this 'still my team. I'm the best ever' crap.

Lebron does look a step slower all of a sudden though..sad but doesn't surprise me, by age 32 every players are a shell of their athleticism. Sad reality of NBA. Happens overnight :(

Salty about what he told LeBron to come and he handed the team over to LeBron after he choked in 2011 because it was obvious he couldn't play Robin to Wade. Wade knew he could do what he had to do but by making LeBron the guy it put the pressure on LeBron and they won 2 championships because of it.

Let's not sit here and act like Kyrie compares to Wade in any way.

tredigs
11-22-2014, 03:02 PM
I called him at 23, 6.5, 6.5 on high efficiency. He's at 25.5, 6.4, 6.5 on regular efficiency.

Shooting a bit more than I expected. They're still figuring out their offense, obviously. Around February they'll start to gel. Offensively, at least. This team is way too poor defensively to win a ship though.

nycericanguy
11-22-2014, 03:09 PM
I called him at 23, 6.5, 6.5 on high efficiency. He's at 25.5, 6.4, 6.5 on regular efficiency.

Shooting a bit more than I expected. They're still figuring out their offense, obviously. Around February they'll start to gel. Offensively, at least. This team is way too poor defensively to win a ship though.

and playing a lot more than I expected. One thing that makes me think Blatt is in over his head is he's scared to rest his big 3.

LBJ has a ton of miles on him and he shouldn't be playing close to 40mpg... I think he even came out and said the same thing last week?

It struck me as odd on opening night when he basically played the big 3 the entire game.

jimm120
11-22-2014, 03:22 PM

And it still proves that it takes longer.

The differences between the 2010 heat and the 2014 Cavs are:

-2010 Lebron better than 2014 Lebron (though he's still the #1 player in the league)
-Wade > Irving by quite a bit (wade top 5 and Irving top 20)
-Bosh = Love (though I think Love is better)
-Cavs supporting cast is better upside/younger than Heat Cast in 2010

Overall, I think the 2010 heat were better...and they got off to a slow start too. The 2014 Cavs will get off to a slow start, just like that team. They'll take longer to round into form, but they WILL round into form. This cavs team also isn't as good as the 2010 Heat even once they round into form.

So he's kind of correct.

Cavs will take longer to round into form
Cavs have a lower ceiling than the 2010 Heat, even at this cavs' peak

ankit
11-22-2014, 03:23 PM
I been saying it from time that Kyrie needs to be moved. First Lebron is all ball, he can turn anyone into a contender. The problem is Cleveland has Kevin love and Kyrie that are good players but play offense rather than defense. Cleveland knew this from time, they should have moved Kyrie, Wiggins, Waiters and bennet for a gritty pg. like a Rajon Rando and a gritty small forward like Klay Thompsonor Chandler Parsons type and a rugged power forward like Randolph or Paul Millsap type. I'm not sure any of them were available but im just giving you the type of players they should have targeted. However as seen with Miami if this team gels they can turn things around quickly. If not yikes Lebron has an opt out in 2 years and I dont want to see another drama unfold.

ThuglifeJ
11-22-2014, 03:29 PM

"Assist to Stern" huh? Well I hope you're not forgetting all the assists he gave the Lakers. Specifically in 2002. :)

No I haven't forgotten..kings deserved it we all know that.. N I don't even think the heat would have lost without stern/refs but that was dumb to watch wade shoot all those FTS like that..

ThuglifeJ
11-22-2014, 03:31 PM

Salty about what he told LeBron to come and he handed the team over to LeBron after he choked in 2011 because it was obvious he couldn't play Robin to Wade. Wade knew he could do what he had to do but by making LeBron the guy it put the pressure on LeBron and they won 2 championships because of it.

Let's not sit here and act like Kyrie compares to Wade in any way.

Salty as in shell of prime wade.

ATX
11-22-2014, 03:44 PM

You can say that again. Polar opposites in terms of franchise success and leadership.