PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Juggernaut

Redrum187
11-21-2014, 07:44 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/11/21/dallas-mavericks-offense-is-on-a-historic-pace/

The Dallas Mavericks are an offensive juggernaut. They have the second-highest effective field goal percentage in the league (54 percent) and make shots from just about everywhere on the court.

They have managed to limit their turnovers (on 10.5 percent of their possessions, which ranks second in the league) and are close to average at grabbing offensive rebounds (on 25.5 percent of their missed shots) and getting to the free throw line (0.208 free throw rate) — all contributing to a historically good offense.

The Mavericks are scoring 116.7 points per 100 possessions, a mark that would edge out the 1986-87 “Showtime” Los Angeles Lakers as the all-time best (115.6).

However, what makes this performance impressive is that even after you adjust for league average, the Mavericks still come out on top. For example, the 1986-87 Lakers scored 115.6 points per 100 possessions in a year where the league average was 108.3, making them 7 percent better than average, dropping them to 13th all time. This year’s Mavericks, however, are 10 percent better than average.

The Mavericks probably won’t slow down anytime soon. They play the Lakers (league-worst 116.2 points allowed per 100 possessions, most in NBA) and New York Knicks (112.8 points allowed per 100 possessions, second worst in NBA) over their next four games.

This is a historic record so I decided to post it in the NBA Forum. Do you think they sustain this? Also, I am curious how much better (if at all) they could be once Chandler Parsons comes out of his slump; He isn't playing as efficient as he did with Houston. Dirk is also playing really few minutes as many of their games are blow outs and don't need him. Brandan Wright and Tyson Chandler are as efficient as it gets at the 5.

Do you think they sustain this? Increase? Decrease? Discuss.

FlashBolt
11-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Picking up Jameer/trading for Chandler was the best thing they ever did. Mavs are my best team in the West IMO. They are just balling. If Parsons can pick it up, this will be a scary team. Mark Cuban doing it again.

archdevil84
11-21-2014, 09:25 PM
monta ellis career has rejuvenated since coming to dallas

Bruno
11-21-2014, 10:52 PM
I like Dallas. I like their vegas odds. their offense is great. but I'm worried about their D. I don't know if they have what it takes to finish a top ten defense. their offense would need to get 2011 hot for four series to get through some of the better defensive teams. its possible.

Miltstar
11-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Should be a fun one to watch when they come to Toronto next Friday... we're breaking out the purple jerseys on em though so watch out!

slaker619
11-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Not shocked with all those shooters on the team, plus they can shot at a high percentage won't be shocked to see them play the WCF

Thumper 88
11-21-2014, 11:36 PM
The starters aren't even playing in the 4th and they are already over 120

DillyDill
11-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Lol they finished us off in the 3rd, a machine indeed

Mr.B
11-22-2014, 12:37 AM
It amazes me at how good this offense is. Other than the Spurs is there a team that's better than the Mavs are moving the ball?

BlondeBomber41
11-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Jameer Nelson has been mediocre, Parsons has been streaky, the starters and key bench guys routinely sit out the 4th quarter... and they still are scoring like this.

BlondeBomber41
11-22-2014, 12:41 AM
Oh and they lead the league in points in the paint... so if you think they are a jump shooting team and nothing else, you're greatly mistaken. :)

Thumper 88
11-22-2014, 12:44 AM
Dirks efficiency this year :drool:

goingfor28
11-22-2014, 12:50 AM
140 yup

zn23
11-22-2014, 12:57 AM
They have another Championship run in them. This is the year to do it.

Redrum187
11-22-2014, 01:19 AM
They score all over the floor... They make their 3's, they make their free throws, they have 4 or 5 players that make 4+ assist per game, their best player plays well under 30 minutes... I have never seen anything like this before.

I remember in the off-season people were saying "people under estimate the loss of Marion and Carter". I don't think so... They got younger and deeper...

BlondeBomber41
11-22-2014, 02:58 AM
I was one of the few Mavs fans that was happy to see Vince Carter go. We needed to get younger and Carter was a ball stopper. Our offense flows so well, it wouldn't be the same with him.

Aminu has been a younger, more athletic version of Marion who shoots the open 3 pointer better. I was sad to see Marion go but now I can see it was for the better.

Redrum187
11-22-2014, 05:05 AM
Aside from Dirk Nowitzki, I am loving Brandan Wright and Aminu. I hope Aminu gets extended minutes for you guys. He rebounds like a champ... 4.5 rebounds in 16.5 minutes... he's a freaking SF not a C! He can guard 2-4, and he has pretty decent hands. A lot of potential.

Munkeysuit
11-22-2014, 05:25 AM
Dallas looks formidable, at first it didn't seem like any of their acquisitions made any sense, but that why the GM's get paid the big bucks right?

AnthonyTyrael2
11-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Just 13 games... Too much early praise. Still a long way to go and lots of work to do.

Thumper 88
11-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Dallas took a huge jump in offensive efficiency after tonight. Per http://t.co/lNS9uKi4Lc, Mavs have an ORtg of 117.6 Toronto 2nd at 110.3

Thumper 88
11-22-2014, 10:49 AM
^just insane.. And that's with players 7-12 getting extra minutes

Miltstar
11-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Dallas took a huge jump in offensive efficiency after tonight. Per http://t.co/lNS9uKi4Lc, Mavs have an ORtg of 117.6 Toronto 2nd at 110.3

Gonna be a fun game next Friday!!!

valade16
11-22-2014, 11:41 AM
They are ballin' no doubt but let's not go overboard. They have not beaten a single West contender and the closest team they faced (The Blazers) they lost. Additionally the teams they scored 110+ On were Boston, Philly, Minny, Lakers.

They are playing insanely well but I want to see them do it against the top Western teams before I crown them.

Chrisclover
11-22-2014, 12:05 PM
This Mavs team is good and if they had landed a star like Bosh this past summer, they would have become a contender.

Thumper 88
11-22-2014, 03:11 PM
They are ballin' no doubt but let's not go overboard. They have not beaten a single West contender and the closest team they faced (The Blazers) they lost. Additionally the teams they scored 110+ On were Boston, Philly, Minny, Lakers.

They are playing insanely well but I want to see them do it against the top Western teams before I crown them.

Who is crowning them if that's what you're saying?

This Mavs team is good and if they had landed a star like Bosh this past summer, they would have become a contender.

I doubt it.. Bosh getting max wouldn't have let them add a few other pieces

Thumper 88
11-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Gap between Dallas' top-ranked offense (117.6) & 2nd TOR (110.3) is 7.3. For comparison, a difference of 6.5 gets you from 2nd to 19th (NYK)

Chrisclover
11-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Who is crowning them if that's what you're saying?

I doubt it.. Bosh getting max wouldn't have let them add a few other pieces
Due to the limited cap space or Cuban's willingness to pay luxury tax?

mightybosstone
11-23-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm shocked they've been able to do this while Parsons has played so badly this season. It's scary to think they still have that untapped potential left as a basketball team, although I do think Parsons does a lot of things for an offense that don't show up on a stat sheet.

That being said, I think Ellis is playing over his head right now and will come back to earth. Watching him last night, that's more the Ellis I'm used to seeing: a high volume scorer with a high turnover rate. The rest of the offense, though, I think will stay pretty consistent. Chandler and Wright are always going to be hyper efficient big men around the rim, there's no reason to think Dirk will drop off at from what we've seen so far and Nelson, Harris and Barrea are a nice little supportive back court trio that compliment each other well.

This is definitely going to be a top 5 defensive team this year. The question is whether or not they're going to figure things out defensively.

AnthonyTyrael2
11-23-2014, 05:58 PM
You meant top 5 offensive team.

Offensively yes but how far can we go? I dunno, too much hype. Playing too stubborn, especially when they are nailing almost nothing. So far, I'm not digging it. Don't get blinded by point totals. Played inferior teams most games. Either win games in a blowout or collapse from time to time. Win and fall with their shooting. Each player having its role but there is no flexibility within that game. No one adjusting but stubborn. Rested veterans complaining about back to back games and officiating...Jesus, hilarious. Become professionel and change strategy and prove your winning mentality against short handed teams first of all. Concerning right now but learning from loses is, what is pushing you towards greatness and maybe a chance to compete for another championships one day.