PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who is better Klay THompson or Gordon Hayward?

Spanklin
11-21-2014, 06:42 PM
In honor of tonight's faceoff.

Thompson: 23.6/3.2/3.3 with 2.6 TOV, on .466 and .465 %'s.

Hayward: 18.7/5.4/4.6 with 2.1 TOV, on .561 and .328 %'s.

I'm going with Hayward because he's carrying a bad team on his back while Klay is benefiting from our strong lineup and bench, and the best point guard in the league bar none. It will be fun comparing these two shooting guards over the next few years.

J_M_B
11-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Klay

sf-fanatic
11-21-2014, 08:12 PM
I'd take Klay just cause he is so much better than Hayward on the defensive end.

Drtg
Klay: 100
Hayward: 111

Spanklin
11-21-2014, 08:20 PM
I'd take Klay just cause he is so much better than Hayward on the defensive end.

Drtg

Spurious. Player defensive rating is influenced far too much by team drtg. If you wanted to go down that avenue, Hayward's drtg is slightly better than Utah's drtg, and Klay's drtg is slightly worse than Golden State's drtg.

Anyone who has watched them both this season wouldn't put Hayward as a lesser defender than Klay. He's played very strong defense this season, better than Klay even.

FlashBolt
11-21-2014, 08:42 PM

Drtg

LeBron's DRTG is 109.. so you can't possibly tell me DRTG is the objective here. Klay is the better defender but I'd like to see how his offense shakes up when he's not aside Curry - the absolute best scorer at this moment. I'm going with Gordon here. With that being said, I'd take Clay. I think he would be an easy 25-5-5 player without Curry.

TrueFan420
11-22-2014, 02:57 AM
Spanklin, what happened to your boy Burks? Thought he was the next D Wade which would make him better than both Klay and Gordon.

sf-fanatic
11-22-2014, 06:46 AM
I'd also like to add Klay is the better defender because hes quick enough to guard the 1 and big enough to guard the 3. I think his defensive flexibility is huge to teams especially since it allows Curry to guard the 2 at times. Personally, I don't think Heyward is quick enough to guard 1's or even some 2s.

SF8
11-22-2014, 07:55 AM
This topic would be better discussed here

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/forumdisplay.php?179-NBA-Comparisons

likemystylez
11-22-2014, 10:39 AM
In honor of tonight's faceoff.

Thompson: 23.6/3.2/3.3 with 2.6 TOV, on .466 and .465 %'s.

Hayward: 18.7/5.4/4.6 with 2.1 TOV, on .561 and .328 %'s.

I'm going with Hayward because he's carrying a bad team on his back while Klay is benefiting from our strong lineup and bench, and the best point guard in the league bar none. It will be fun comparing these two shooting guards over the next few years.

1) If your gonna say hayward, LOL you might as well not put up the stats.

2) Please dont refer to the warriors as being "our" team. After you recently said you were going to "look for a new favorite team", You dont deserve to call yourself a warriors fan.

Goose17
11-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Believe it or not. I actually think it's Hayward.

IgglesFanInCO
11-22-2014, 06:01 PM
1) If your gonna say hayward, LOL you might as well not put up the stats.

2) Please dont refer to the warriors as being "our" team. After you recently said you were going to "look for a new favorite team", You dont deserve to call yourself a warriors fan.

Whoa whoa bro, I dont like fairweather fans either but you dont have any right to tell someone whether they can call themselves a fan of something. If you have an issue with stuff he says, propose a counter-argument, acting like that is more cancerous to the sports discussion community than any fairweather or bandwagon fan has ever been.

Goose17
11-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Whoa whoa bro, I dont like fairweather fans either but you dont have any right to tell someone whether they can call themselves a fan of something. If you have an issue with stuff he says, propose a counter-argument, acting like that is more cancerous to the sports discussion community than any fairweather or bandwagon fan has ever been.

Nah he's right, Spanklin isn't a fan he's a troll. He started a poll in the Warriors forum asking which team he should support next because he doesn't like them any more, he then asked Cleveland fans (making a thread in their forum) if he should join them and how serious the big 3 was about winning a title etc.

Guy isn't a fan, at all. Not a fairweather fan, not a bandwagon fan. Nothing. Just a troll.

IgglesFanInCO
11-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Nah he's right, Spanklin isn't a fan he's a troll. He started a poll in the Warriors forum asking which team he should support next because he doesn't like them any more, he then asked Cleveland fans (making a thread in their forum) if he should join them and how serious the big 3 was about winning a title etc.

Guy isn't a fan, at all. Not a fairweather fan, not a bandwagon fan. Nothing. Just a troll.

If he's a troll and thats known then there is no reason to even bother. Regardless of the motivations behind it, its just childish bickering over the internet.

Goose17
11-22-2014, 06:42 PM
If he's a troll and thats known then there is no reason to even bother. Regardless of the motivations behind it, its just childish bickering over the internet.

Fair point.

mightybosstone
11-23-2014, 08:36 AM
The last three seasons, I would have given the slightest of edges to Hayward. Klay's slight edge in scoring production didn't make up for Hayward's edge in overall production, as he's clearly the superior playmaker and rebounder. Both guys have made leaps this season, but so far I've been more impressed by Thompson's leap. Yes, Hayward is still the superior playmaker and rebounder, but scoring is at a premium in this league and Thompson is doing it an All-NBA level right now in terms of both per-night production and efficiency.

JAZZNC
11-23-2014, 10:41 AM
The last three seasons, I would have given the slightest of edges to Hayward. Klay's slight edge in scoring production didn't make up for Hayward's edge in overall production, as he's clearly the superior playmaker and rebounder. Both guys have made leaps this season, but so far I've been more impressed by Thompson's leap. Yes, Hayward is still the superior playmaker and rebounder, but scoring is at a premium in this league and Thompson is doing it an All-NBA level right now in terms of both per-night production and efficiency.
I agree with most of this but how would Thompson's scoring (especially his efficiency) would be effected if he was "the guy" and not a second option? I have been very impressed with Hayward this year. His contract is gonna just keep looking better and better.

mightybosstone
11-23-2014, 10:50 AM
I agree with most of this but how would Thompson's scoring (especially his efficiency) would be effected if he was "the guy" and not a second option? I have been very impressed with Hayward this year. His contract is gonna just keep looking better and better.

The funny thing is that a year ago, I would have said Parsons was by far superior to these two guys. They all got paid and two of them have made significant improvements in their games. Parsons seems to have digressed this year despite how well Dallas is playing. The real loser isn't Hayward or Thompson. It's Parsons and the Mavericks.

likemystylez
11-23-2014, 12:16 PM
The funny thing is that a year ago, I would have said Parsons was by far superior to these two guys. They all got paid and two of them have made significant improvements in their games. Parsons seems to have digressed this year despite how well Dallas is playing. The real loser isn't Hayward or Thompson. It's Parsons and the Mavericks.

well- I lean towards klay because IM bias- but this isnt really fair to parsons.

His situation is completely different than either klays or haywards. Klay and gordon are playing ont he same team thay have all their careers with a lot of the same starting fives they have been with the last few yrs. Parsons is on a new team in a different role with different types of players around him.

I just think it might be a little bit hasty to be comparing parsons less than a month into a brand new setting to these 2.

Goose17
11-23-2014, 12:22 PM

And your change of opinion wouldn't have anything to do with him switching sides in texas? :p

I could have told you Klay was better than Parsons, should have just asked.

ewing
11-23-2014, 12:32 PM
i love both players. I think they both have gotten on undue flack and can both flat ball. I'll pick Klay but im an east cost guy who admitly has followed GS closer and was always a fan

Sactown
11-23-2014, 12:46 PM
I thInk Hayward is the better player, but because I don't think either are true #1's on a contender I have to choose Klay because he's an easier fit next to a ball dominant player...

Hayward when pared with a dominant ball handler will lose a big part of his game while Klay wouldn't

mightybosstone
11-23-2014, 01:14 PM
well- I lean towards klay because IM bias- but this isnt really fair to parsons.

His situation is completely different than either klays or haywards. Klay and gordon are playing ont he same team thay have all their careers with a lot of the same starting fives they have been with the last few yrs. Parsons is on a new team in a different role with different types of players around him.

I just think it might be a little bit hasty to be comparing parsons less than a month into a brand new setting to these 2.
That's fair. But then again, I think if we're judging these two guys on such a small sample size, it's only fair to lump Parsons into the conversation.

And your change of opinion wouldn't have anything to do with him switching sides in texas? :p

I could have told you Klay was better than Parsons, should have just asked.
If he was still in Houston and Parsons got brought up in this conversation, I would be screaming "SAMPLE SIZE!!!!" at the top of my lungs. But there's no denying that Parsons has been a worse basketball player this season. That being said, Parsons absolutely was a better player than Thompson and Hayward the last few years and I'm not sure what you're going off of to prove otherwise.

Goose17
11-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Parsons absolutely was a better player than Thompson and Hayward the last few years and I'm not sure what you're going off of to prove otherwise.

Klay has always been the better defender. Parsons always looked lost on that end. Klay has always been the better shooter. Really the only thing Parsons had going for him over Klay was rebounding and passing. Probably aggressiveness in attacking the rim and more moves in that sense but I always believed Klay had the potential to do more and he had improved his game every single year, not just small improvements but VAST improvements, so the pattern was there, he was always going to end up better.

Spanklin
11-23-2014, 01:44 PM
I'd also like to add Klay is the better defender because hes quick enough to guard the 1 and big enough to guard the 3. I think his defensive flexibility is huge to teams especially since it allows Curry to guard the 2 at times. Personally, I don't think Heyward is quick enough to guard 1's or even some 2s.

Your name is fitting, phanatic.

mightybosstone
11-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Klay has always been the better defender. Parsons always looked lost on that end. Klay has always been the better shooter. Really the only thing Parsons had going for him over Klay was rebounding and passing. Probably aggressiveness in attacking the rim and more moves in that sense but I always believed Klay had the potential to do more and he had improved his game every single year, not just small improvements but VAST improvements, so the pattern was there, he was always going to end up better.

I like Klay. Don't get me wrong. But the last three years, he was nothing more than a really good 3 and D player. Nothing more. Parsons does everything well. He can score from anywhere on the floor, run the offense, rebound and at least defend at a competent level. Thompson is finally starting to score more in that 0-10-foot range and is getting to the line more than twice as often as he has in previous years. Hell, he's even become a better passer and playmaker. But this Klay Thompson is not the Klay Thompson I've seen in previous years. This guy is an All-NBA caliber player.

Spanklin
11-23-2014, 01:53 PM

Good points on the play making ability but Thompson isn't scoring at an elite level. You're making him sound like James Hard-on here. Sure he can put the ball in the bucket but he's nowhere near that level like you're trying to put him up at. Play making is pot and par for elite scorcery wizards. If you can score at an elite level then you can create for others. Name me one elite HOFer who couldn't score and create??? Even Monte Ellis can create now that he finally has a coach who can figure 2+2=4.

As far as his "superior" defense lol I still laugh at the crowd that gobbled up Mark Jackson's proclamation like the preacher was Jesus. That's where it came from and that's where it should stay.

Spanklin
11-23-2014, 01:56 PM
I like Klay. Don't get me wrong. But the last three years, he was nothing more than a really good 3 and D player. Nothing more. Parsons does everything well. He can score from anywhere on the floor, run the offense, rebound and at least defend at a competent level. Thompson is finally starting to score more in that 0-10-foot range and is getting to the line more than twice as often as he has in previous years. Hell, he's even become a better passer and playmaker. But this Klay Thompson is not the Klay Thompson I've seen in previous years. This guy is an All-NBA caliber player.

I'd take Parsons over both of them. He has a very special catch-and-shoot-or-drive skill. Reminds me of Peja behind the line and someone else (who I can't put a finger on) going to the rim.

ricky recon
11-23-2014, 02:28 PM

You sound bitter. I think with as poorly as Parsons has been playing and considering Dallas has been the best offense this year and has the second best point margin, with Rick's coaching and veteran guys Dallas is not the loser.

Dallas played their worst game in Houston last night and they still almost won.

Why don't we re-evaluate this at the end of the season when Dallas goes farther in the playoffs than Houston does.

Goose17
11-23-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm still waiting for Dallas to fall off. You can't make the playoffs in the West without good defense. Their offense has been very good but they've had an easy schedule and I don't believe they can produce at this rate all season, their offense will be top 5 in the West without a doubt but I suspect their defense will be bottom 5 in the West soon enough.

Houston are on the other side of the coin, their defense has kept them relevant but their offense needs to improve quickly or they run the risk of slipping. The difference is, we know Houston can play good offense, they did it last year. We know there are players on that roster that when they're healthy and on form will help get the offense back on track.

We'll see what happens.

tredigs
11-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Good points on the play making ability but Thompson isn't scoring at an elite level. You're making him sound like James Hard-on here. Sure he can put the ball in the bucket but he's nowhere near that level like you're trying to put him up at. Play making is pot and par for elite scorcery wizards. If you can score at an elite level then you can create for others. Name me one elite HOFer who couldn't score and create??? Even Monte Ellis can create now that he finally has a coach who can figure 2+2=4.

As far as his "superior" defense lol I still laugh at the crowd that gobbled up Mark Jackson's proclamation like the preacher was Jesus. That's where it came from and that's where it should stay.

I'd take Parsons over both of them. He has a very special catch-and-shoot-or-drive skill. Reminds me of Peja behind the line and someone else (who I can't put a finger on) going to the rim.

You're being serious with these posts?

tredigs
11-23-2014, 02:50 PM
I'm still waiting for Dallas to fall off. You can't make the playoffs in the West without good defense. Their offense has been very good but they've had an easy schedule and I don't believe they can produce at this rate all season, their offense will be top 5 in the West without a doubt but I suspect their defense will be bottom 5 in the West soon enough.

Houston are on the other side of the coin, their defense has kept them relevant but their offense needs to improve quickly or they run the risk of slipping. The difference is, we know Houston can play good offense, they did it last year. We know there are players on that roster that when they're healthy and on form will help get the offense back on track.

We'll see what happens.

As long as Chandler and Brandon Wright stay healthy their D will be OK. And that offense is playing at such a historically high level that even their regression will still leave them at the top of the elite.

Pretty easy schedule so far for a West team, agreed, but this is obviously a playoff caliber team. They'd be an East 1/2 seed if they remain healthy. Injuries are going to dictate who falls in/out in the bottom of the West.

Chronz
11-24-2014, 03:31 AM
As long as Chandler and Brandon Wright stay healthy their D will be OK. And that offense is playing at such a historically high level that even their regression will still leave them at the top of the elite.

Pretty easy schedule so far for a West team, agreed, but this is obviously a playoff caliber team. They'd be an East 1/2 seed if they remain healthy. Injuries are going to dictate who falls in/out in the bottom of the West.
You find Wright to be an impact defender?

tredigs
11-24-2014, 04:22 AM
You find Wright to be an impact defender?

I do. I think he's gone from merely being a potential defensive monster (which he never came close to realizing in GS) to actually putting some of it together on that end. I'm not going to sing his praises as a one on one post defender, but in a PnR situation he's figured out how to best use his length and athleticism very, very well from what I've seen. Huge strides from when I used to watch him up close.

Chronz
11-24-2014, 04:44 AM
I do. I think he's gone from merely being a potential defensive monster (which he never came close to realizing in GS) to actually putting some of it together on that end. I'm not going to sing his praises as a one on one post defender, but in a PnR situation he's figured out how to best use his length and athleticism very, very well from what I've seen. Huge strides from when I used to watch him up close.

Thoughts on Ryan Hollins?

tredigs
11-24-2014, 04:55 AM
Thoughts on Ryan Hollins?
In short? Good athlete, but not the sharpest tool, and could never figure out how to stay on the court when he did have a good stretch going. Always reaching/hacking.

mightybosstone
11-24-2014, 09:39 AM
You sound bitter. I think with as poorly as Parsons has been playing and considering Dallas has been the best offense this year and has the second best point margin, with Rick's coaching and veteran guys Dallas is not the loser.
First off, I probably am a little bitter about how Parsons left Houston, but that has very little to do with this thread. I legitimately thought that Parsons was going to be the best basketball player out of this threesome. And I've been genuinely surprised by how all three have played thus far this season. I thought Parsons was going to at least put up numbers as good as what he posted in Houston last year, if not better. And he still might, but having watched a few Mavs games, I've been really disappointed in how he's played thus far.

Also, I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying when I'm saying Dallas is a "loser." I'm not saying they're a bad basketball team. Far from it. I'm saying all three of these teams made huge gambles on these three guys and arguably overpaid them. So far, Utah and Golden State are looking very smart and Dallas not so much. Parsons is a good player regardless of how he's playing right now, but $15 million a year is looking like a drastic overpay unless he starts playing better.

Dallas played their worst game in Houston last night and they still almost won.
What does that have to do with anything? And need I remind you that Houston was missing its starting front court? There's literally no excuse you can make to me why Dallas lost that game. That would be like Houston losing to Dallas without Dirk and/or Chandler.

Why don't we re-evaluate this at the end of the season when Dallas goes farther in the playoffs than Houston does.
That may very well be the case. But again, you're completely missing the point of my argument. I'm not saying Dallas is a bad basketball team. I'm saying they overpaid for Chandler Parsons. Dallas could go further than Houston in the playoffs and I could still be right. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.