PDA

View Full Version : U have the power to transplant any defender to clamp down on todays stars, who u got?

Chronz
11-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Stolen thread idea #3104

You have a time machine and can bring back any player to defend different stars, who do you sic on them? Obviously its impossible to completely lock down a player 1 on 1, but just in terms of giving his assignment the most trouble possible who u got?

Among those Im most curious about:

Lillard

Curry

Dirk

Westbrook

Blake

Love

LMA

Cousins

Anthony Davis

Durant

Lebron

Kobe

Curry

CP3

Duncan

feel free to add a few

D-Leethal
11-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Durant vs Ron Artest - Silky smooth finesse and length vs brute physicality and strength

Dirk vs Michael Cooper - after seeing what guys like Stephen Jackson and Matt Barnes did to him during his MVP year I'd like to see Cooper and his length D him up in a similar fashion.

Westbrook vs Gary Payton - 'nuff said

D-Leethal
11-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Cousins vs Ben Wallace has fireworks written all over the same way Westbrook and the Glove does.

ILLUSIONIST^248
11-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Rodman on bron

D-Leethal
11-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Rodman on bron

:drool:

benny01
11-21-2014, 05:19 PM
I'd put most any of the centers from the 90's on the bigs. Zo , The Dream, Ewing etc....
I'd put Noah on Love and Bron on everybody else.

Kaner
11-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Michael Cooper on Kevin Durant

Pippen on Lebron

Gary Payton on any of the point guards

Bill Russell on Davis

Rodman on Kevin Love

D-Leethal
11-21-2014, 05:21 PM
MJ on Steph Curry

SPURSFAN1
11-21-2014, 05:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edb6bz_C9ms

Hawkeye15
11-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Pippen on Kobe

S & B Bleeder
11-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Pippen on ANY 1, 2, or 3 in the game.

He is the greatest perimeter defender in the history of the game. Just awe inspiring.

Hawkeye15
11-21-2014, 05:49 PM

He is the greatest perimeter defender in the history of the game. Just awe inspiring.

I don't know if he is strong enough to guard LeBron, I think Rodman/Artest would be better suited

kdspurman
11-21-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't know if he is strong enough to guard LeBron, I think Rodman/Artest would be better suited

IDK, Leonard has done a pretty good job on him and he's not quite on Pippen's level yet. But similar build. Rodman would be good too though cause of his lateral quickness

kdspurman
11-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Payton on these PG's would be great to see.

Sheed on Duncan or probably any 4 now. Duncan always said what fits Sheed cause him on that en. He had the size, strength, and a knack for getting in guys heads

Also would be curious to see Bowen on Westbrook. I feel like that'd be competitive as hell, and WB might blow his top lol

jericho
11-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Ill just give you my starting 5 easier that way.

Gary Payton
Sidney Moncrief
Ron Artest
Dennis Rodman
Ben Wallace

I just didnt want to use Jordan and Pippen.

Chronz
11-21-2014, 06:30 PM

it's true that for most players Pippen is the best option but he wasn't without weaknesses. His post defense was pretty mediocre. Penny usually abused him down there, big dog too iirc. Could've been a fluke tho, couldn't exactly watch all 82 games of a player the way we can today

Chronz
11-21-2014, 06:33 PM
MJ on Steph Curry
Thank you. I listed curry twice for a reason but i think Moncrief would fit the bill best in that matchup, could be wrong cuz mj [nuff said]

Jeffy25
11-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Rodman or pippen on Lebron would be fun to watch

The glove on Parker would be fun too

KingPosey
11-21-2014, 06:58 PM

Lebron is stronger but especially now with him cutting its not some huge chasm between them in strength. Pippen was an absolute physical specimen and f you transplanted him to today's nba there would maybe be two or three guys who have a physique better than his, maybe. I think Pippen is the exact person in all of nba history I want to see guard Lebron.

Seizabmc
11-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Iman shumpert

Seizabmc
11-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Shump defending jordan

S & B Bleeder
11-21-2014, 07:44 PM
IDK, Leonard has done a pretty good job on him and he's not quite on Pippen's level yet. But similar build.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Pippen (6'8") has almost 2 inches of height over Leonard (6'6") but both have the same wingspan (7'3"). Jordan himself said that he never faced anyone tougher guarding him than Pippen in practice. That speaks volumes in and of itself. Anyone who got to see Pip in early on and in his prime who is unbiased will back it up.

In fact, one move changed the 1990-91 finals. Phil Jackson switching Jordan off Magic Johnson and having Pippen guard him. It changed the complexion of the whole series after the Lakers won game 1.

Dude was THAT good.

Best. Perimeter. Defender. Ever.

BALLER R
11-21-2014, 08:12 PM
I don't know about player vs player. But I'm bringing back Ben wallace, Bruce Bowen, Pippen, Ron Artest, Payton and KG... All players in their prime of court.

SPURSFAN1
11-21-2014, 08:26 PM
I don't know about player vs player. But I'm bringing back Ben wallace, Bruce Bowen, Pippen, Ron Artest, Payton and KG... All players in their prime of court.

Switch KG with TD and you got a championship team for 8-9 years.

rocketfuel
11-25-2014, 11:10 PM
If you had a defensive unit of:

Mutombo
KG
Pippen
Jordan
Westbrook

The other team would probably barely score 50 points a game, if that. I think Pippen is a better defender than Kawhi (and I like Kawhi a lot). I'm sure Lebron would have his moments, but if it was a 7 game series, Pippen would be very effective. Kawhi had several games were his speed was very effective in the series and he even outplayed Lebron at certain points.

TrueFan420
11-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Stolen thread idea #3104

You have a time machine and can bring back any player to defend different stars, who do you sic on them? Obviously its impossible to completely lock down a player 1 on 1, but just in terms of giving his assignment the most trouble possible who u got?

Lillard

Curry

Dirk

Westbrook

Blake

Love

LMA

Cousins

Anthony Davis

Durant

Lebron

Kobe

Curry

CP3

Duncan

feel free to add a few

Curry is so dirty you got him on there twice

hidalgo
11-26-2014, 02:16 AM
we're talking about all these defenders at their peak obviously

Scottie on LeBron is a dream matchup, as well as Bruce Bowen on prime LeBron

Bryon Russell on Kobe interests me. he shut down the younger Kobe badly in the 97, & 98 playoffs, & is an extremely underrated defender. he made MJ work hard in both finals, & held him under his season avg fg%(but MJ was MJ, & wouldn't be denied), i think he'd give Kobe problems, easily worse than he gave MJ. Russell should have made a few all defensive teams. his 103 defensive rating backs it up

Payton on Westbrook

Payton on Kobe

MJ on Kobe

Pippen on Kobe

Pippen on Durant

Olajuwon on Duncan

etc etc

Sly Guy
11-26-2014, 03:12 AM
Durant vs Ron Artest - Silky smooth finesse and length vs brute physicality and strength

Dirk vs Michael Cooper - after seeing what guys like Stephen Jackson and Matt Barnes did to him during his MVP year I'd like to see Cooper and his length D him up in a similar fashion.

Westbrook vs Gary Payton - 'nuff said
westbrook and payton.....oh man, bad night for westy.

I'd put jordan on any of the guards on the list. In fact, I'd really like to see jordan try to shut cp3 down. Paul's a fiery competitor, the smaller man, and a really crafty player. But jordan was equally fiery and competitive, I think that matchup would be crazy to watch unfold.

PurpleLynch
11-26-2014, 05:26 AM
Stolen thread idea #3104

Lillard

Curry

Dirk

Westbrook

Blake

Love

LMA

Cousins

Anthony Davis

Durant

Lebron

Kobe

Curry

CP3

Duncan

feel free to add a few

Lillard-Frazier
Curry-Dennis Johnson
Dirk-McHale
Westbrook-Payton
Blake-Mourning
Love-Rodman
LMA-R.Wallace
Cousins-B.Wallace
Anthony Davis-Russell
Durant-Pippen
Lebron-Artest
Kobe-Jordan
Cp3-Stockton
Duncan-K.Malone

Ty22Mitchell
11-26-2014, 09:56 AM
I've always wanted to watch the big men from different era's go at it. My dream senario would be to watch prime Shaquille go against a bracket of greats (Russell, Kareem, Hakeem,etc). I'd also like to see some of the more recent forwards battle like Anthony Davis (I know he's inbetween the 4/5), prime KG, prime TD, prime Rodman, etc.

YAALREADYKNO
11-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Lillard- Jason Kidd: He would give lilliard a tough time on just by being smart on the defensive side of the ball and had some pretty quick hands

Curry- Gary Payton: With his defensive ability I could see him giving Curry some trouble

Dirk- Ron Artest: Big Body, physical, and quick hands could give Dirk some problems

Westbrook- Michael Jordan: The only athletic defender I could think of who could keep up with Russell Westbrook's speed, quickness, and athleticism

Blake- Dikembe Mutombo: Great shot blocker could give blake some problems on the inside

Love- Karl Malone: Athletic enough to defend love on the perimeter and able to bang with love inside for rebounds

LMA- Hakeem Olajuwon: His length and shot blocking skills not to mention his quick hands could give a jump shooting Power Forward like Aldridge some fits

Cousins- Ben Wallace: Athletic and was one of the strongest players ever could give cousins some problems inside

Anthony Davis- Kevin Garnett: Was Anthony Davis before Anthony Davis KG could use his athleticism and his ability to defend the perimeter against Davis

Durant- Scottie Pippen: Had the length you need to defend someone like a Kevin Durant

Lebron- Dennis Rodman: His energy and defensive prowess would give Lebron some trouble

Kobe- Bruce Bowen: Had the tenacity to guard someone like Kobe

CP3- John Stockton: His quick hands and intelligence would give Paul some trouble even though he wasn't the most athletic guard

Duncan- David Robinson: Physical Specimen that could bang with Duncan on the inside and step out to contest Duncan's vintage bank shots

Other matchups I'd like to see

Harden-Joe Dumars: known to give Jordan some fits would like to see him matched up against harden

Howard-Shaquille O'Neal: Just wanna see what shaq would do if howard was to have a good game against him since he's always getting on Dwight

valade16
11-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Lillard- Jason Kidd

Curry- Michael Jordan

Dirk- Ron Artest

Westbrook- Gary Payton

Blake- Dikembe Mutombo

Love- Karl Malone

LMA- Hakeem Olajuwon

Cousins- Ben Wallace

Anthony Davis- Kevin Garnett

Durant- Scottie Pippen

Lebron- Dennis Rodman

Kobe- Bruce Bowen

CP3- John Stockton

Duncan- David Robinson

:laugh2: Overkill much?

As a Blazer fan I would like to see a matchup of Rasheed Wallace vs LaMarcus Aldridge. Similar builds and playing styles. Interesting to see who could beat who.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-26-2014, 11:18 AM
I'd like to see Doug Christie vs. James Harden

YAALREADYKNO
11-26-2014, 11:19 AM
:laugh2: Overkill much?

As a Blazer fan I would like to see a matchup of Rasheed Wallace vs LaMarcus Aldridge. Similar builds and playing styles. Interesting to see who could beat who.

I just feel like hakeem's defensive skills would be great to see against aldridge

valade16
11-26-2014, 11:34 AM
I just feel like hakeem's defensive skills would be great to see against aldridge

I hear ya. I loved watching Hakeem play.

Corey
11-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Not many old school defenders would be able to stay on the court in today's NBA with hand checking and cheeky fouls being called so frequently.

YAALREADYKNO
11-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Not many old school defenders would be able to stay on the court in today's NBA with hand checking and cheeky fouls being called so frequently.

This is true

YAALREADYKNO
11-26-2014, 02:41 PM
I hear ya. I loved watching Hakeem play.

I would prefer to play Hakeem on Dirk and Jordan on Kobe but I wasn't trying to use the same defenders lol

Sandman
11-26-2014, 02:45 PM
A 1997 Land Rover Defender

let's see you jump over that **** Blake Griffin :no:

Blitzbolt
11-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Tony Allen..o wait nvm.

JAZZNC
11-26-2014, 03:46 PM
Lillard-Stockton
Curry-GP
Dirk-Sheed
Westbrook-Stockton (just would love to see it)
Blake-Malone
Love-Rodman
LMA-Sheed
Cousins-Dream/TD
Anthony Davis-Sheed
Durant-Pippen
Lebron-Artest or Rodman
Kobe-Jordan
Cp3-Stockton
Duncan-Dream

Phenomenonsense
11-26-2014, 04:45 PM
The answer is Rodman on X. It's always Rodman on X.

QueensG_718
11-27-2014, 12:22 AM
Pippen on durant would be great

Rodman on lebron as well

Pippen on melo

QueensG_718
11-27-2014, 12:22 AM
John starks on curry

Raps18-19 Champ
11-27-2014, 01:09 AM
Russell on Duncan.

WadeKobe
11-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Rodman on everyone.

People seem to not realize Rodman guarded all of the following as the primary defender in their prime....

Jordan
Pippen
Bird
Magic
Shaq
Malone
Barkley

No other defender has that resume.

Ty22Mitchell
11-27-2014, 12:44 PM
I would contest your Shaq name drop because he wasn't in his prime when facing Dennis, but that would be splitting hairs. Either way great post.

KnicksorBust
11-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Rodman on everyone.

People seem to not realize Rodman guarded all of the following as the primary defender in their prime....

Jordan
Pippen
Bird
Magic
Shaq
Malone
Barkley

No other defender has that resume.

I agree that he is the most capable of defending all positions but that doesnt mean he is the best in all cases. For me I would rather Payton on a guard and Pippen on a forward. If defending a beast on the block like Shaq I would go with Wilt or Thurmond.

Chronz
11-27-2014, 04:27 PM
i just realized i wrote transform instead of transplant.... LMFAO

Bruno
11-27-2014, 04:29 PM
i just realized i wrote transform instead of transplant.... LMFAO

I've got ya.

GSRaider
11-27-2014, 05:40 PM
That Westbrook vs Payton matchup would be highly competitive and intense...

Curry vs MJ... MJs length, athleticism and competitiveness (just MJ being MJ) vs Steph who is arguably the best shooter ever and can get his own shot whenever and wherever he wants (when he's in that zone)...

Would also love to see Stockton d-up and hassle the hell outve Curry. Stockton was so damn crafty and seemed to always have his hands on the ball.

Durant vs 1st Quarter Pippen, 2nd Quarter Artest, 3rd Rodman and 4th Jordan... I think Durant is just the hardest matchup. Don't see anyone stoping him.

Love the Cousins vs Ben Wallace matchup...

Blake vs Rodman... Would love seeing the worm getting after Blake

Dirk vs Olajuwan... Drooling

LeBron vs Rodman/Pippen

CP3 vs Joe Dumars/Payton

Duncan vs Olajuwan

Anthony Davis vs Bill Russell

Kobe vs Pippen/Jordan

Harden vs Payton

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2014, 07:36 PM
A point guard... I'm going with either Gary Payton or Darrell Walker.... those guys were lock-down defenders. It won't be a popular pick, but I think I'd go with Walker first. Guys who were in the Bulls practice said he used to give Jordan fits, and he didn't get to chi-town until late.

At shooting guard I'd go with Jordan. Can't think of many guys who have that kind of drive to get it done on defense and who take it personally when their guy scores.

At small forward, I'll take Pippen over Artest. He had better court vision and was a better team defender.

At power forward, I'd like to take Duncan, but he's still playing, so I'll go with Rodman.

And a center Mutumbo.

Phantom Dreamer
11-27-2014, 07:48 PM
I would contest your Shaq name drop because he wasn't in his prime when facing Dennis, but that would be splitting hairs. Either way great post.In the '96 playoffs, Shaq was in his 4th year and Rodman was 35, so?

AIRMAR72
11-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Stolen thread idea #3104

Lillard

Curry

Dirk

Westbrook

Blake

Love

LMA

Cousins

Anthony Davis

Durant

Lebron

Kobe

Curry

CP3

Duncan

feel free to add a few Scottie Pippen is the remedy for that, when it comes to on ball or playing off the ball the BEST ever is easily Scott pippen also Dennis Rodman(the worm) Buck Williams ,John Starks,Anthony Mason

mrblisterdundee
11-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Lillard - Gary Payton
Curry - Gary Payton
Dirk - Hakeem Olajuwon
Westbrook - Gary Payton
Blake - Hakeem Olajuwon
Love - Hakeem Olajuwon
LMA - Hakeem Olajuwon
Cousins - Bill Russell
Anthony Davis Hakeem Olajuwon
Durant - Scottie Pippen
Lebron - Dennis Rodman
Kobe - Michael Jordan
CP3 - Gary Payton
Duncan - Hakeem Olajuwon

Mr.B
11-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Give me The Glove any day of the week. I'd love to have an elite defender to shut down any PG (in today's game) my team faced.

Munkeysuit
11-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Someone said GP on Westbrook and they took the words right out of my mouth.

Munkeysuit
11-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Also, GP on Steph Curry

Mr.B
11-29-2014, 10:42 PM
Lillard - Gary Payton
Curry - Gary Payton
Dirk - Hakeem Olajuwon
Westbrook - Gary Payton
Blake - Hakeem Olajuwon
Love - Hakeem Olajuwon
LMA - Hakeem Olajuwon