PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Single Most Important Ability You Prefer?

basketfan4life
11-21-2014, 08:16 AM
For a basketball player ? Please write your reasoning.

Edit: I want to add the choice --Finishing around the rim(Layups/Dunks).. Can a mod please add this?

KnicksorBust
11-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Characteristic = determination
Ability (meaning skill) = passing

curtcocaine
11-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Making teammates better.

Goose17
11-21-2014, 09:00 AM
Coachability... not an actual word but you know what I mean.

PhillyFaninLA
11-21-2014, 09:18 AM
I picked lateral quickness out of the choices. That applies and improves any position. The skills are position specific.

basketfan4life
11-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Making teammates better.
I mean if this is your main thing, you have to choose what's causing it. Passing/court vision? Intelligence?

YAALREADYKNO
11-21-2014, 11:23 AM
you can make a living in the NBA by just being able to shoot the ball so I'd go with shooting

Jamiecballer
11-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Intelligence

jerellh528
11-21-2014, 11:34 AM
work ethic

koreancabbage
11-21-2014, 11:54 AM
you can make a living in the NBA by just being able to shoot the ball so I'd go with shooting

agreed. the point of the game is to put the basketball in the rim. If you are amazing at it i.e. Ray Allen, you can make the big bucks for a long time.

KnicksorBust
11-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Making teammates better.

Coachability... not an actual word but you know what I mean.

Intelligence

work ethic

People seem to be missing the point of the thread. Obviously a hard working, intelligent, coachable player would make his teammates better. But if you had that player with a great work ethic what would you tell him to work on if he could only be great at one thing?

I like the idea of this thread. I'm sticking with passing - "court vision" :)

jerellh528
11-21-2014, 12:20 PM
People seem to be missing the point of the thread. Obviously a hard working, intelligent, coachable player would make his teammates better. But if you had that player with a great work ethic what would you tell him to work on if he could only be great at one thing?

A player with great work ethic would work hard to improve all facets :p
Haha but okay, umm I guess it had to be something from that list I would choose footwork. Great footwork allows for better positioning and angles even if you aren't the best athlete, and is the skill that I think helps most on BOTH sides of the ball.

HoopsDrive
11-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Either shooting or posting up. The entire point of bball is to score points... although the other attributes definitely help in scoring or defending against scoring in some way, shooting and posting up are essential facets of bball scoring. If this was a draft and everyone was average in everything except for being great in one attribute... I'm choosing either the great shooter or post player.

Btw where does inside scoring apply here? Stuff like layups, floaters, ability to change shots midair, drawing contact in the paint. Also very important and doesn't always apply to posting up skills.

Tony_Starks
11-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Mental toughness.

GunFactor187
11-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Back to the basket play. Kinda like a lost art IMO.

YAALREADYKNO
11-21-2014, 01:19 PM
agreed. the point of the game is to put the basketball in the rim. If you are amazing at it i.e. Ray Allen, you can make the big bucks for a long time.

not even ray allen. Guys like steve kerr, kyle korver etc have been successful in the NBA by just being able to shoot

koreancabbage
11-21-2014, 01:27 PM
not even ray allen. Guys like steve kerr, kyle korver etc have been successful in the NBA by just being able to shoot

I think Ray Allen is a good example though. His longevity. It allows him to chase more rings at the end of his career and still be a part of it in some meaningful manner.

But yes, good shooters are always wanted, even if they are below average defenders - they come off the bench. Defense is bonus with shooters.

IgglesFanInCO
11-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Body control and coordination. All the guys at the nba level have the necessary athleticism to win. Guys with elite body control like The LBJs and Kobe's of the world separate themselves.

TrueFan420
11-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Intelligence/bball IQ

Chronz
11-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Im big on acceleration, having the quickest first step in the league means you can penetrate the defense without the use of a pick, it causes all sorts of havoc without the guy having to run any plays or even take a shot.

JJ Barea is underrated for that simple skill.

Jamiecballer
11-21-2014, 02:07 PM

if i missed the point of the thread why is it one of the options for crying out loud. i'll take intelligence because it makes every one of those skills better.

ink
11-21-2014, 02:43 PM
There is no one "most important" quality. That's exactly the point. We know the best players on the planet almost always possess elite IQ, physicality, athleticism, speed, work ethic, leadership, etc. Take one or more of those away and you have someone who struggles to stay in a starting rotation or even in the league.

Kashmir13579
11-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Shooting for obvious reasons.

Chronz
11-21-2014, 06:26 PM
There is no one "most important" quality. That's exactly the point. We know the best players on the planet almost always possess elite IQ, physicality, athleticism, speed, work ethic, leadership, etc. Take one or more of those away and you have someone who struggles to stay in a starting rotation or even in the league.

Why you gotta do us like dat?

Hawkeye15
11-21-2014, 06:41 PM
explosiveness

Sanjay
11-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Surprised i'm only the 2nd person to vote for intelligence. I have always thought IQ/performing in the clutch (closely linked to intelligence) is the most important ability in sport followed by heart, how many times have we seen a game won or loss at the end because of a smart/stupid play? Off the court/field I would say discipline and then attention to detail are the most vital (current NBA players such as Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant being great examples).

ghettosean
11-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Basketball IQ

curtcocaine
11-22-2014, 09:05 PM
Ill change mines entirely. Lock down defender.

JPS
11-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Brains and balls