PDA

View Full Version : Dragic to hit free agency

Stunner
11-19-2014, 05:35 PM
According to reports, Goran Dragic will test out free agency next summer.
After coming to life last season for the Suns, Dragic will surely command huge interest from around the league if he opts out of his contract in the summer. However, this doesn't mean that he will leave the Suns even though it has been a huge adjustment for him to play alongside fellow point guards Isaiah Thomas and Eric Bledsoe. This is definitely something we will monitor, but for now Dragic's owners can continue deploying him as usual.

I think the Knicks are the perfect landing spot for him. I don't see Marc Gasol going to NY but to SA. Rondo could should end up in Sac Town.

sixers247
11-19-2014, 05:45 PM
He staying to play wit his broz.

D-Leethal
11-19-2014, 05:48 PM
If I was an all star PG coming off my best season as a pro and my team rewarded me by going out and signing, trading for, and drafting every PG in sight I would bounce too.

Goose17
11-19-2014, 05:53 PM
I like him with that Phoenix team, more so than Bledsoe or I.T

But... there are a few teams with cap space next year that would be intriguing landing spots for him.

Knick_Fever
11-19-2014, 06:00 PM
He staying to play wit his broz.

His bro can follow him wherever he goes. No way he stays with Suns, they got an all-star level competition for point guard there. I see Dragic joing Melo and Marc in NY. Pau has been pushing Marc to join knicks because of Phil.

nycericanguy
11-19-2014, 06:01 PM
I like him with that Phoenix team, more so than Bledsoe or I.T

But... there are a few teams with cap space next year that would be intriguing landing spots for him.

Agreed, I think PHO kind of shot themselves in the foot by giving I.T & Bledsoe all that money.

Can you imagine being Dragic and seeing those guys getting more than you?

Knick fans wet dream is adding Gasol & Dragic... but Dragic will have a lot of suitors and should get a MAX deal somewhere.

abe_froman
11-19-2014, 06:02 PM
His bro can follow him wherever he goes. No way he stays with Suns, they got an all-star level competition for point guard there. I see Dragic joing Melo and Marc in NY. Pau has been pushing Marc to join knicks because of Phil.
i can def see ny going hard after him,lakers to...but i cant see marc leaving memphis

Verbal Christ
11-19-2014, 06:10 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-11-19/nba-goran-dragic-suns-lakers-rockets-nba-free-agency-contract-salary-eric-bledsoe-isaiah-thomas?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Fancy that the Rockets may pursue

nycericanguy
11-19-2014, 06:13 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-11-19/nba-goran-dragic-suns-lakers-rockets-nba-free-agency-contract-salary-eric-bledsoe-isaiah-thomas?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Didn't Morey already trade this guy TWICE? Dragic would be a fool to go back there... look what Morey did to Lin, cut him, then said it was a mistake and rolled out the red carpet for him... then traded him again and had Melo wearing his Jersey while Lin was still a Rocket...

Stunner
11-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Doubt he'll go back after getting rejected twice

Verbal Christ
11-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Didn't Morey already trade this guy TWICE? Dragic would be a fool to go back there... look what Morey did to Lin, cut him, then said it was a mistake and rolled out the red carpet for him... then traded him again and had Melo wearing his Jersey while Lin was still a Rocket...

Ummm yea poor JLin. At first it was HAHA ROX so dumb they overpay for Lin ... then it was HAHA ROX so dumb they trade the great talent of JLin ... See the theme there?

Oh and yea the Rockets never resign former players right?

nycericanguy
11-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Ummm yea poor JLin. At first it was HAHA ROX so dumb they overpay for Lin ... then it was HAHA ROX so dumb they trade the great talent of JLin ... See the theme there?

Oh and yea the Rockets never resign former players right?

whether they overpaid for Lin or not is irrelevant... That was a very classless move by Morey.

Goose17
11-19-2014, 06:20 PM
whether they overpaid for Lin or not is irrelevant... That was a very classless move by Morey.

Yep^

Verbal Christ
11-19-2014, 06:21 PM

Ohhhhh now its back to the 'classless' thing ... got it. Thanks for your opinion!

North Yorker
11-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Could see him making $15M+/year wherever he goes.

KobeOwnSU
11-19-2014, 06:36 PM

Ohhhhh now its back to the 'classless' thing ... got it. Thanks for your opinion!

That's the best you could do?

BHF
11-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Dragic and Gasol should go to the Spurs not the Knicks lol

Verbal Christ
11-19-2014, 06:49 PM
That's the best you could do?

How 'classy' was it when Lin signed Houstons offer sheet? Its a job, people will be hired and fired all the time, you know why companies retain 'star' employees? Because they produce.

Hawkeye15
11-19-2014, 06:54 PM
It would surprise me a bit if he signed with Houston after they traded him a couple of times, and essentially chose Lin over him.

Man can you imagine the Rox with Dragic/Harden/Dwight though? Morey made the wrong move letting him go.

Verbal Christ
11-19-2014, 06:56 PM
It would surprise me a bit if he signed with Houston after they traded him a couple of times, and essentially chose Lin over him.

Man can you imagine the Rox with Dragic/Harden/Dwight though? Morey made the wrong move letting him go.

Thats the misconception, Morey didnt 'let him go' ... he offered him the exact contract that PHX did MINUS the player option. Dragic CHOSE PHX .. What else could Morey have done?

Hawkeye15
11-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Thats the misconception, Morey didnt 'let him go' ... he offered him the exact contract that PHX did MINUS the player option. Dragic CHOSE PHX .. What else could Morey have done?

He could have matched it. But he chose to sign Lin instead. Morey let him walk.

Chronz
11-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Thats true and all, but part of me believes he did that in a stealth move to tank while still attracting the Asian community. If he had known Harden would become a Rocket within a few weeks, Im sure he would have brought Dragic back.

Verbal Christ
11-19-2014, 08:18 PM

Sorry but you're wrong. The 4th year that Morey balked at was Dragic player option year. Morey didnt have a 'star' on the team and didnt want to be locked in until he filled out the roster so he pulled the trigger on Lin for 3 years. Dragic was unrestricted how could he have matched it? Dragic liked PHX, he had a comfort level there, its not like he got a ridiculous deal from the Suns.

FriedTofuz
11-19-2014, 08:22 PM
This thread is already being derailed because people think he's going to the knicks? funny.

Hawkeye15
11-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Thats true and all, but part of me believes he did that in a stealth move to tank while still attracting the Asian community. If he had known Harden would become a Rocket within a few weeks, Im sure he would have brought Dragic back.

that might be true, I forgot about the timeline with Harden. Still thought it was a mistake that Morey didn't retain him.

Hawkeye15
11-19-2014, 08:28 PM
Sorry but you're wrong. The 4th year that Morey balked at was Dragic player option year. Morey didnt have a 'star' on the team and didnt want to be locked in until he filled out the roster so he pulled the trigger on Lin for 3 years. Dragic was unrestricted how could he have matched it? Dragic liked PHX, he had a comfort level there, its not like he got a ridiculous deal from the Suns.

How am I wrong? Morey could have given him the player option, he chose not to. That is letting him walk dude. It's not as if Dragic didn't want to negotiate with Houston, and just signed with the Suns.

I did forget, as I pointed out above, that the Harden deal hadn't been completed yet.

ALl that being said, I thought it was a mistake immediately that Morey didn't retain him.

Goose17
11-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Boston if they're planning on parting ways with Rondo might be tempted.

I think Miami will be intrigued.

There's a few teams in the east that might make him an offer.

PurpleLynch
11-19-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm a little high(ehehe) so correct me if I'm wrong,I'm not an expert on players contract. So...Can the Lakers give a 4-5 years deal to Dragic(about 60 or more millions,it depends on the fifth year) and the salary would be like this: Y1:10 millions.Y2:16 millions.Y3:16 millions.Y4:18 millions.Is it possible? Or there are rule against that? Sorry if I wrote wrong or if you can't understand what I'm trying to say,but thanks for your attention.

Crackadalic
11-19-2014, 08:31 PM
This thread is already being derailed because people think he's going to the knicks? funny.

Getting scared knicks gonna be good next year bruh? YOU SCARED!!!!!

But seriously Dragic is going for max dollars. Unless we get rid of Jose he isn't coming here unless he takes less

FriedTofuz
11-19-2014, 08:33 PM
How am I wrong? Morey could have given him the player option, he chose not to. That is letting him walk dude. It's not as if Dragic didn't want to negotiate with Houston, and just signed with the Suns.

I did forget, as I pointed out above, that the Harden deal hadn't been completed yet.

ALl that being said, I thought it was a mistake immediately that Morey didn't retain him.

This. Every year Morey tries some big gamble and it's hardly ever worked out. But I will give them props for getting Howard.

Goose17
11-19-2014, 08:34 PM
He should go to Philly. It's basically a paid vacation over there right now. I doubt he would even have to play to get his max, they'll just have him milk a fictitious injury.

FriedTofuz
11-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Getting scared knicks gonna be good next year bruh? YOU SCARED!!!!!

But seriously Dragic is going for max dollars. Unless we get rid of Jose he isn't coming here unless he takes less

pretty scared indeed! Like cmon, the raptors need that Lotto pick!

Every above average player nowadays is getting a max contract, it's ridiculous.

Redrum187
11-19-2014, 09:00 PM
He would be a nice fit for just about any team. The 3 Texas teams could certainly utilize him the most.

Imagine if he signed with the Mavericks.

PG: Goran Dragic
SG: Monte Ellis
SF: Chandler Parsons
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Tyson Chandler

They would score about 130 ppg (with little defense though lol).

Ariza's Better
11-19-2014, 09:00 PM

Wait, am I missing something? When did Morey trade dragic a couple of times?

Anyway, wherever the money is, Dragic will go and if that is Houston, it's Houston. But baring any trades, the rockets need to sign a PF or backup center than another PG this off-season.

dhopisthename
11-19-2014, 09:03 PM
is there a reason his stats are so down this year compared to last year?

D-Leethal
11-19-2014, 09:10 PM

That part of you is your inner apologist that has been running rampant on this forum as of late when it comes to your favs. Morey was trying to "stealth tank" so he shelled out 50M for Lin and Asik? Come on now...

Saddletramp
11-19-2014, 09:42 PM

Anyway, wherever the money is, Dragic will go and if that is Houston, it's Houston. But baring any trades, the rockets need to sign a PF or backup center than another PG this off-season.

Yeah, I was wondering where that came from, too. I only remember him playing for the Rockets for one stretch. And he was never traded. I remember most Rockets fans wanting to keep Dragic but when Harden came along it was quietly forgotten about besides being mentioned when Lin would screw up or Dragic would play great.

Corey
11-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Sign and trade with the Pacers with George Hill (and draft currency) as pieces going back? Or sign him outright.

Celtics have a ton of cap moving forward and Rondo could be dealt.

He would be fun to watch on Sacramento, he's definitely an upgrade over Collison.

If Jackson gets overpaid could OKC be players? Backcourt of Dragic + Westy could be lethal. Both can play on or off ball and defend both positions.

Corey
11-19-2014, 09:51 PM

Yeah, I was wondering where that came from, too. I only remember him playing for the Rockets for one stretch. And he was never traded. I remember most Rockets fans wanting to keep Dragic but when Harden came along it was quietly forgotten about besides being mentioned when Lin would screw up or Dragic would play great.

The Rockets agreed to trade him in the Chris Paul to the Lakers mega deal. Dragic, Scola, Martin and Odom would have been going to New Orleans.

Then they decided to let him walk in the offseason and he signed back in Phoenix.

They didnt trade him twice, but they kinda overlooked him and let him go.

True Sports Fan
11-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Would love him on the Kings. Don't think we have enough cap

Mr.B
11-19-2014, 10:33 PM
He would be a nice fit for just about any team. The 3 Texas teams could certainly utilize him the most.

Imagine if he signed with the Mavericks.

PG: Goran Dragic
SG: Monte Ellis
SF: Chandler Parsons
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Tyson Chandler

They would score about 130 ppg (with little defense though lol).

The Mavs will be in the Market for a PG. Nelson has been ok but they need to upgrade the PG position if they want to challenge for the top seed.

Saddletramp
11-19-2014, 10:36 PM
The Rockets agreed to trade him in the Chris Paul to the Lakers mega deal. Dragic, Scola, Martin and Odom would have been going to New Orleans.

Then they decided to let him walk in the offseason and he signed back in Phoenix.

They didnt trade him twice, but they kinda overlooked him and let him go.

Forgot that he was involved in that. It's funny what that (non)trade did to those involved. If I remember correctly, it ruined Odom's career, further damaged Gasol's LA psyche, turned K Mart from a good scorer into an afterthought, didn't faze Scola and elevated Dragic's game the next year earning him a huge raise and starters position.

Saddletramp
11-19-2014, 10:38 PM
The Mavs will be in the Market for a PG. Nelson has been ok but they need to upgrade the PG position if they want to challenge for the top seed.

I doubt Ellis is coming back for $8 or whatever he's making now and isn't Chandler a free agent? He might command another raise depending on how this year goes. That would be a pretty scary team, though (depending on Dirk's health).

Chronz
11-19-2014, 11:03 PM
That part of you is your inner apologist that has been running rampant on this forum as of late when it comes to your favs. Morey was trying to "stealth tank" so he shelled out 50M for Lin and Asik? Come on now...

Maybe so, but it just goes against every move Morey has ever done. It stands out like a sore thumb and for that reason, I try to find some kind of logic outside it being a brain fart. Losing Lowry I understand, he practically forced his way out, but choosing Lin over Dragic seems like a move he made knowing the team wouldn't be good for awhile. Had Harden been on board, I really dont think he cares about a single year.

Chronz
11-19-2014, 11:05 PM
I doubt Ellis is coming back for $8 or whatever he's making now and isn't Chandler a free agent? He might command another raise depending on how this year goes. That would be a pretty scary team, though (depending on Dirk's health).

You really think Ellis will command a significant raise?

Saddletramp
11-19-2014, 11:26 PM
You really think Ellis will command a significant raise?

Isn't that why he took a paycut to sign with the Mavs? To raise his stick for his next contract? If some of these guys are getting $15 per I'm assuming he's worth a bit more than $8.

Duncan = Donkey
11-19-2014, 11:43 PM
We better re sign him. Rather him over Bledsoe and Thomas.

mightybosstone
11-19-2014, 11:43 PM

What in the hell are you talking about? Morey never once traded Dragic. He traded Brooks for Dragic in 2011 and then Morey opted not to re-sign him after the 2012 season, because he didn't want to pay for that fourth year of the deal and at the time, it looked like the Rockets were trying to tank.

But Houston never once traded Dragic. Let's not spread misinformation.

Corey
11-19-2014, 11:48 PM
What in the hell are you talking about? Morey never once traded Dragic. He traded Brooks for Dragic in 2011 and then Morey opted not to re-sign him after the 2012 season, because he didn't want to pay for that fourth year of the deal and at the time, it looked like the Rockets were trying to tank.

But Houston never once traded Dragic. Let's not spread misinformation.

They agreed to trade him in the CP3 veto.

mightybosstone
11-19-2014, 11:49 PM
If you're Phoenix, I think you should trade him at the deadline to a team of his choice to get whatever the hell you can for the guy. A team like the Rockets could certainly use him in making a push right before the postseason, and Phoenix will be lucky to make the postseason at all. If you're going to lose him anyway, go ahead and get whatever assets you can for him.

mightybosstone
11-19-2014, 11:56 PM
They agreed to trade him in the CP3 veto.

Three things about that deal, though:
1. Dragic was still just a 24-year-old backup at the time. Houston doesn't trade him if he's a legitimate starter, and at the time, he was well behind Lowry on the depth chart.
2. The trade never happened, so it's a moot point. And Houston was the first team to give him a legitimate chance to start that following season, which is why he got such a solid contract the next offseason.
3. But he was actually traded by an NBA team once in his career: the Phoenix Suns. The team he currently plays for. So clearly playing for a team that did trade him isn't an issue for the guy.

Plus, people tend to forget the context of Morey letting Dragic walk in 2012. It happened literally weeks before Houston traded for Harden and the Rockets were coming off their third straight season of being the 9th seed and getting the 14th pick in the draft. Letting Dragic go was a mistake in hindsight. But it was absolutely the right move at the time, and I doubt he holds a grudge over it.

Mr.B
11-19-2014, 11:56 PM
Isn't that why he took a paycut to sign with the Mavs? To raise his stick for his next contract? If some of these guys are getting $15 per I'm assuming he's worth a bit more than $8.

When Ellis signed with Dallas he did say that he was willing to get paid less to increase his stock for a couple years in Dallas. Since then he has seen what playing in Carlisle's system and playing with Dirk, and Tyson can really do for him. It did definitely raise his stock but it also showed him what it feels like to have a legit shot at a title. He'll test the market and if he gets an insane offer from another team he'll take it and he'd be dumb not to. But if he gets an offer that is comparable to the Mavs offer he'll stay with the Mavs.

If Ellis did leave (which I doubt) the Mavs will definitely be in the market for Dragic.

Duncan = Donkey
11-19-2014, 11:58 PM
If you're Phoenix, I think you should trade him at the deadline to a team of his choice to get whatever the hell you can for the guy. A team like the Rockets could certainly use him in making a push right before the postseason, and Phoenix will be lucky to make the postseason at all. If you're going to lose him anyway, go ahead and get whatever assets you can for him.

or just sign him again, If PHX offers him what he wants he will stay. He likes it here and I doubt he just skips town and leaves his brother stranded.

But if the Suns as you say, are willing to let him go, they obviously should trade him do get some assets. I dont think will happen though.

mightybosstone
11-20-2014, 12:07 AM
or just sign him again, If PHX offers him what he wants he will stay. He likes it here and I doubt he just skips town and leaves his brother stranded.

But if the Suns as you say, are willing to let him go, they obviously should trade him do get some assets. I dont think will happen though.

The Suns clearly are willing to let him go. You don't go out of your way to pay big money to two up-and-coming players at the same position if you aren't willing to let him go. I just think the Suns did an atrocious job of handling their roster in the last few months.

Duncan = Donkey
11-20-2014, 12:23 AM
The Suns clearly are willing to let him go. You don't go out of your way to pay big money to two up-and-coming players at the same position if you aren't willing to let him go. I just think the Suns did an atrocious job of handling their roster in the last few months.

How are they 'clearly' willing to let him go?? I havnt seen any indication from PHX that that's the case.

As for doing an atroicoius job handling the roster, I just dont see it all. Not signing Frye was a plus, signing Thomas do a great deal (now a great trade asset)was a plus. Morris twins extension was a plus. The only thing you can really say is they over payed Bledsoe and maybe Tucker.But Still Bledsoe he is young and will only get better (plus he is also a trade asset). And Tucker can also be easily traded to a playoff team. All I see is asset accumulation, which is exactly what rebuilding teams should do.

mightybosstone
11-20-2014, 12:41 AM
How are they 'clearly' willing to let him go?? I havnt seen any indication from PHX that that's the case.
It's not so much something that's been announced so much as something I think is kind of common sense. When you have a season like Dragic just had and your team goes and gives big money to two players at the same position, how are you not supposed to feel disrespected by that? Phoenix had to know that was a real possibility.

As for doing an atroicoius job handling the roster, I just dont see it all. Not signing Frye was a plus, signing Thomas do a great deal (now a great trade asset)was a plus. Morris twins extension was a plus. The only thing you can really say is they over payed Bledsoe and maybe Tucker.But Still Bledsoe he is young and will only get better (plus he is also a trade asset). And Tucker can also be easily traded to a playoff team. All I see is asset accumulation, which is exactly what rebuilding teams should do.
The Bledsoe contract was the mistake, and it has potential to be a huge one. He's shown flashes of real greatness, but that's all he's shown: flashes. Plus, he barely played half the season. If anyone deserved to get the big contract from Phoenix, it was Dragic. I actually thought the Thomas contract was a great one. But I ultimately thought that deal was going to be to be the replacement for Bledsoe when the guy asked for too much money. But instead, they backed it up with the questionable Bledsoe deal and then exacerbated it by giving pretty questionable contracts to the mediocre Morris twins.

So they pretty much screwed any chance they had at having money to beef up their well below average front court and may end up pushing out their best player (Dragic) in favor of a guy who played 40 competent games as a starter. I'm sorry, but I just don't get what the hell they were doing.

Duncan = Donkey
11-20-2014, 01:05 AM
It's not so much something that's been announced so much as something I think is kind of common sense. When you have a season like Dragic just had and your team goes and gives big money to two players at the same position, how are you not supposed to feel disrespected by that? Phoenix had to know that was a real possibility.

The Bledsoe contract was the mistake, and it has potential to be a huge one. He's shown flashes of real greatness, but that's all he's shown: flashes. Plus, he barely played half the season. If anyone deserved to get the big contract from Phoenix, it was Dragic. I actually thought the Thomas contract was a great one. But I ultimately thought that deal was going to be to be the replacement for Bledsoe when the guy asked for too much money. But instead, they backed it up with the questionable Bledsoe deal and then exacerbated it by giving pretty questionable contracts to the mediocre Morris twins.

So they pretty much screwed any chance they had at having money to beef up their well below average front court and may end up pushing out their best player (Dragic) in favor of a guy who played 40 competent games as a starter. I'm sorry, but I just don't get what the hell they were doing.

Dragic feels disrespected?? I doubt that. They signed him to a big money deal as a FA, gave him the keys to the team and signed his mediocre brother to a 2 year deal. When they signed Thomas, it was known that Thomas would be the back up PG in a two PG system and was insurance in case Bledsoe ended up signing the QO. He was signed to a team freindly deal so he could be dealt any time with ease. Dragic had nothing to be threatened by.

As for the mediocre comment, Markeiff is absolutely not mediocre so GTFO with that comment. He improves significantly every year and is averaging 15.3/6.3/2 on 50% shooting. Marcus is just an average player on a slightly over payed deal.

They have not screwed anything up, every player on the roster has trade value. They are stock-piling assets of value. They are rebuilding. Thats what they are clearly doing. I really dont know why you cant see it.

If they wanna keep Dragic, they can so easily. They can also trade Bledsoe and Thomas easily.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-20-2014, 01:06 AM
Didn't Dragic say he would opt out just so he can resign with Phoenix.

Duncan = Donkey
11-20-2014, 01:11 AM
Didn't Dragic say he would opt out just so he can resign with Phoenix.

Yep, said he wants to opt out and then quickly re sign.

He will test FA as he should, but is obvious he wants to stay in Phoenix.

mightybosstone
11-20-2014, 01:36 AM
Dragic feels disrespected?? I doubt that. They signed him to a big money deal as a FA, gave him the keys to the team and signed his mediocre brother to a 2 year deal. When they signed Thomas, it was known that Thomas would be the back up PG in a two PG system and was insurance in case Bledsoe ended up signing the QO. He was signed to a team freindly deal so he could be dealt any time with ease. Dragic had nothing to be threatened by.
He went from 35 minutes a night to 32 minutes a night and he's getting fewer looks and seeing fewer opportunities to run the offense. If I'm coming off an All-NBA caliber season, that doesn't sit well with me. It remains to be seen how the season plays out, but if Dragic is sacrificing stats and minutes to play for a a team that isn't any better than last year, I can't imagine he's going to be thrilled about that.

As for the mediocre comment, Markeiff is absolutely not mediocre so GTFO with that comment. He improves significantly every year and is averaging 15.3/6.3/2 on 50% shooting. Marcus is just an average player on a slightly over payed deal.
Markieff is paid adequately for the player he is. I'm not disputing that. But the worst thing you can do in this league is give out $8 million+ contracts to so-so players who are No. 4s at best on a contending team. Marcus just got overpaid. And you have to think they did that to keep Markieff happy, but that's why you don't hire siblings or significant others of an existing employee. If you piss off one, you piss off both.

They have not screwed anything up, every player on the roster has trade value. They are stock-piling assets of value. They are rebuilding. Thats what they are clearly doing. I really dont know why you cant see it.
Let me throw out a scenario here. Suppose Bledsoe doesn't live up to his contract this season and the Suns fail to make the playoffs. Dragic walks and they end up with nothing. Now they don't have enough cap to sign anyone of value in the offseason, they've lost their best player and they end up with far fewer assets than they had last season. Will it make sense then?

I just think they're taking a huge gamble. If it were me, I would have either traded Bledsoe when I could to get whatever I could for him or forced him to prove he was worth a contract this season. Sure he could have walked, but then the Suns could have dealt him at the trade deadline to get some really solid assets for him.

If they wanna keep Dragic, they can so easily. They can also trade Bledsoe and Thomas easily.
Financially they can. But I'm not talking financially. I'm talking about whether Dragic will want to come back or not. And I think there's a lot of reasons why he may not want to after this season is over.

Duncan = Donkey
11-20-2014, 02:24 AM
He went from 35 minutes a night to 32 minutes a night and he's getting fewer looks and seeing fewer opportunities to run the offense. If I'm coming off an All-NBA caliber season, that doesn't sit well with me. It remains to be seen how the season plays out, but if Dragic is sacrificing stats and minutes to play for a a team that isn't any better than last year, I can't imagine he's going to be thrilled about that.

Markieff is paid adequately for the player he is. I'm not disputing that. But the worst thing you can do in this league is give out $8 million+ contracts to so-so players who are No. 4s at best on a contending team. Marcus just got overpaid. And you have to think they did that to keep Markieff happy, but that's why you don't hire siblings or significant others of an existing employee. If you piss off one, you piss off both.

Let me throw out a scenario here. Suppose Bledsoe doesn't live up to his contract this season and the Suns fail to make the playoffs. Dragic walks and they end up with nothing. Now they don't have enough cap to sign anyone of value in the offseason, they've lost their best player and they end up with far fewer assets than they had last season. Will it make sense then?

I just think they're taking a huge gamble. If it were me, I would have either traded Bledsoe when I could to get whatever I could for him or forced him to prove he was worth a contract this season. Sure he could have walked, but then the Suns could have dealt him at the trade deadline to get some really solid assets for him.

Financially they can. But I'm not talking financially. I'm talking about whether Dragic will want to come back or not. And I think there's a lot of reasons why he may not want to after this season is over.

We are not going to agree, so no point in going any further with this.

I will say though, I'll be shocked if Dragic leaves PHX by choice. He has not indicated in anyway he is unhappy with his role. Plus his brother just moved from the other side of the world to join him in Phoenix, I just find it incredibly hard to believe he will move on and ditch his bro if he gets the offer he wants from PHX. it's just not going to happen.

BKdoubleStacker
11-20-2014, 04:19 AM
I am shocked at how much of a backseat he's taken this year considering how he played last year. He doesn't look like a mvp candidate so far

SF8
11-20-2014, 04:38 AM
I don't think he'll leave.

This means the Suns will look to trade Bledsoe or IT. Their not gonna let Dragic get away from them twice.

Sadds The Gr8
11-20-2014, 05:10 AM
I think he'll leave. Too many guards on that team

Duncan = Donkey
11-20-2014, 05:41 AM
I think he'll leave. Too many guards on that team

Too many PG's, We just need to trade Thomas - Problem solved. Im shocked how many people believe the Suns are going to let an All-NBA 3rd team Guard leave, when they can just trade Thomas.

Thomas was signed as insurance for Bledsoe in case they didnt get him signed to an extension. With Bledsoe now locked up, Thomas is on the block IMO. That makes way more sense.

Chronz
11-20-2014, 02:01 PM
I guess it all depends on the market but statistically, people really overstate the difference in his performance from the bucks to the mavs. He's off to a great start tho

Bruno
11-20-2014, 04:00 PM

Dragic/Harden/Parsons/Howard

Houston has made some horrible moves. they're lucky OKC screwed up the Harden situation so hard.

Sadds The Gr8
11-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Dragic/Harden/Parsons/Howard

Houston has made some horrible moves. they're lucky OKC screwed up the Harden situation so hard.
Who could've seen dragic breaking out like this tho? We'd seen flashes but he was always super inconsistent and he'd been in the league for awhile. I dont really blame them for not believing in him

numba1CHANGsta
11-20-2014, 05:48 PM
He will be a Laker if they dont get Rondo

colinskik
11-20-2014, 06:14 PM
There is no way PHX retains all three of their PGs by next year. It may not be Dragic who is gone, but one of them will certainly be playing for a different squad.

Even though Dragic seems to like PHX and is playing with his brother, you would be naive to think he's not a little perturbed by the way the org. treated him compared to Bledsoe and IT. Plus, he's simply not playing as well because his minutes are down. No NBA team that I know of has ever been successful with three starting-caliber PGs on their roster. Logic says that at least one if not all three will suffer.

kblo247
11-20-2014, 10:13 PM

Not traded him for PAu .... I'm just saying

Lakers will offer Dragic money as well. In fact I see LA trying for him and Monroe while Rondo, Marc, and Aldridge get the attention

mrblisterdundee
11-21-2014, 02:20 AM
i can def see ny going hard after him,lakers to...but i cant see marc leaving memphis

So the Memphis Grizzlies need to figure out how to get Goran Dragic to team up with Marc Gasol, maybe through a trade including Courtney Lee and Tayshaun Prince's expiring contract.

PG: Mike Conley
SG: Goran Dragic
SF: Toney Allen
PF: Zach Randolph
C: Marc Gasol

There are four good defenders in that starting lineup, and four decent offensive options. Add Memphis' frisky bench, and you have a contender.