PDA

View Full Version : NBA should learn from NFL

latinofire21
11-18-2014, 07:15 PM
I know the media sensationalizes all these stories but I definitely feel the NBA should be learning from the NFL. Adrian peterson suspended indefinitely from the nfl for child abuse. Ray rice suspended indefinitely for battery. Plaxico Burress and michael Vick suspended and jails for gun and animal violence.

Nba where Dwight howard can beat his kid and felton can illegally carry a gun. Felton serves a 5 game suspension which is like a 1 game suspension in the nfl and howard gets no suspension.

I know the nfl makes more money then the nba but they value the integrity of thwir sport far more then the nba.

It speaks more volumes making a guy like howard sit out and set an example that the nba takes this stuff seriously. I guess in the end they really dont care about people in general if they are going to let this stuff slide.

goingfor28
11-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Josh Brent DUI manslaughter. 10 game suspension. Misdemeanors getting longer. NFL league office makes up their own rules as they go along. Yes the NFL is doing great.

latinofire21
11-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Thats crazy. Didnt even hear about that one. Im sure when the courts are through he will go to jail like vick and Burress

IndyRealist
11-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Once again, the NFL does not punish players for committing crimes, it punishes players for bad PR. They couldn't care less about what crime was committed, they care about how large the negative reaction is from the public. Ray Rice got two games, and that was going to stand, for knocking the **** out of his fiancee. Only when the elevator video became public and the internet went crazy did they give him a real suspension. THE FACTS OF THE ASSAULT NEVER CHANGED. Only the public outrage.

It's crazy to think that employers would suspend or fire employees for legal issues not related to their job. But with pro athletes we expect it.

latinofire21
11-18-2014, 07:33 PM
I agree but when your the idols of kids growing up you are held to much higher standards. With that paycheck comes responsibility

M.I.A.
11-18-2014, 07:35 PM
The NBA likes the "rough" guys attitude. The NBA has not been getting sued because of concussion injuries and kids aren't tearing their ACLs playing basketball.

The NFL has all of these problems. Heck, football for kids is seriously in consideration for being done away with.

The 2 organizations are not related in the fact that they are headed in totally different directions. Heck, look at hockey where a guy can get away with murder for all the fans care about what they do.

Tony_Starks
11-18-2014, 07:43 PM
The NFL is no example to be imitated. They let public outrage dictate their punishments. If the media started making a big deal about players getting DUIs they'd probably start suspending those players indefinitely too. Like someone else said they make up the rules as they go....

beasted86
11-20-2014, 12:05 AM
And this thread is made as the NBA suspends Taylor from the Bobcats for 24 games for DV. A completely absurd penalty.

This thread and the whole national social trends towards this issue is extremely annoying and fits the model of media brainwashing the weak minded public. It is surely a huge social problem, but people are looking in entirely the wrong place for solutions and direction.

Completely a joke that people are looking to NBA and NFL lawyers and business men as their moral standard and guide. That they sit behind their keyboards and blogs and Twitter/Facebook apps talking about Ray Rice or Peterson or Howard feeling satisfied they are making the world a better place and more aware speaking on these relatively inconsequential cases of domestic violence when there are way more heinous cases they honestly couldn't care less aboutbecause they aren't famous.

How about go and help out at a woman's shelter or outreach program? How about learn about communication, problem solving, and anger management and become an advocate for those things that are key in minimizing DV? Don't tell me about how "x" player should be suspended.

PurpleLynch
11-20-2014, 06:22 PM
ahah that's a joke right? Goodell is managing situations like this in the worst way one could do and he has to leave his job imo.

M.I.A.
11-20-2014, 10:47 PM
And this thread is made as the NBA suspends Taylor from the Bobcats for 24 games for DV. A completely absurd penalty.

This thread and the whole national social trends towards this issue is extremely annoying and fits the model of media brainwashing the weak minded public. It is surely a huge social problem, but people are looking in entirely the wrong place for solutions and direction.

Completely a joke that people are looking to NBA and NFL lawyers and business men as their moral standard and guide. That they sit behind their keyboards and blogs and Twitter/Facebook apps talking about Ray Rice or Peterson or Howard feeling satisfied they are making the world a better place and more aware speaking on these relatively inconsequential cases of domestic violence when there are way more heinous cases they honestly couldn't care less aboutbecause they aren't famous.

How about go and help out at a woman's shelter or outreach program? How about learn about communication, problem solving, and anger management and become an advocate for those things that are key in minimizing DV? Don't tell me about how "x" player should be suspended.

So what should we use as the moral standard and guide?

beasted86
11-21-2014, 01:17 AM
So what should we use as the moral standard and guide?

I don't want to turn this topic into a completely different debate, but I think some religions promote prosocial behavior. I don't want to derail this thread.

M.I.A.
11-21-2014, 08:22 AM
I don't want to turn this topic into a completely different debate, but I think some religions promote prosocial behavior. I don't want to derail this thread.

Translation: I would rather have it unclear as to what the moral standards and guides should or should not be so I can comment about them at will and never be wrong about what I say.

This thread is indeed about right and wrong. Everything is. No one is derailing the thread by addressing such things.

Is it right or wrong according to what standards what Goodell or the NFL or the NBA does? If you don't define right and wrong you don't have an argument to make.