PDA

View Full Version : Would Parker and Manu have developed into HOF player with Kobe?

JasonJohnHorn
11-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Had the Lakers picked Parker and Manu, do you think they would have been able to develop into HOF players playing alongside Kobe instead of Duncan?

abe_froman
11-16-2014, 03:54 PM
i get this is a kobe hate thread and all,though it shouldnt.guys can and have developed while playing with kobe.its just for this scenario its a no,because where would manu get his pt? and the triangle(what kobe's teams played in for most of his career) isnt a great system to highlight pg's

Raidaz4Life
11-16-2014, 04:03 PM
i get this will turn into a kobe hate thread and all,though it shouldnt.guys can and have developed while playing with kobe.its just for this scenerio its a no,because where would manu get his pt? and the triangle(what kobe's teams playd in for most of his career) isnt a great system to highlight pg's

yeah my first thought was whether or not they'd develop into HOF players under Phil. Kobe would have had little to do with it.

Chronz
11-16-2014, 04:18 PM
With Phil + Kobe, they definitely achieve their full potential. Their games may not mesh as well but that depends on the make up of the entire squad.

Mr_Jones
11-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Does Shaq develop into a HOFer if he's playing under Wilt? SUCK MY TINY BALLS

jerellh528
11-16-2014, 04:50 PM
Pretty weak thread concept

PhillyFaninLA
11-16-2014, 05:19 PM
The question should be, would the DEVELOP into HOF'ers without Pop.

Shlumpledink
11-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Just playing with Kobe? Of course they could. Playing in the triangle with Tony Parker would be stupid though, so Phil would have to adapt or he would get run out of town. Can you imagine Tony Parker playing with Shaq? The most dominant paint scoring point guard with the most dominant paint scoring big man? That would be an insane tandem with Kobe and Manu filling the wings.

YashBoone
11-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Many and Parker have something that can't really be describe that not all players do. They don't have the sheer talent that a Kobe does, but they definitely have the drive....so yea

PurpleLynch
11-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Yes,under Phil plus a young and in his prime Kobe they could do wonders.

Can you imagine just the Lakers from 4-7 years ago:

Parker
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

6th man: Manu.
7th man: Odom.

JasonJohnHorn
11-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Does Shaq develop into a HOFer if he's playing under Wilt? SUCK MY TINY BALLS

Yeah... he would. Every hear of the twin towers? D-Rob+Duncan; Hakee+Sampson.

A Shaq/Wilt front court would have dominated.

As for Manu and Kobe.... Phil played Jordan and Harper in the back court together.... not reason why he couldn't do the same with Manu and Kobe... and both can handle the ball, so they'd be great for the triangle. And Kobe can slide to SF no problem for spells.

JasonJohnHorn
11-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Pretty weak thread concept

Pretty weak comment with no substance.

If you don't like it, guess what... you don't have to post in it.

Such a negative nancy.

JasonJohnHorn
11-16-2014, 10:44 PM
i get this is a kobe hate thread and all,though it shouldnt.guys can and have developed while playing with kobe.its just for this scenario its a no,because where would manu get his pt? and the triangle(what kobe's teams played in for most of his career) isnt a great system to highlight pg's

As mentioned, Harper and Jordan (both SG) shared the back court in Chi-town and won three rings. No reason Kobe and Manu wouldn't be able to do that. Or Parker could start at point and Manu can play minutes at backing up Parker and Kobe, and Kobe can spell at SF. No reason with talented players like that, that you wouldn't have time enough for all three guys.

As for the triangle not working with point guards, it works GREAT with point guards, its just Phil Jackson never had a true point guard. John Paxson was a glorified spot up shooter. If he had John Stockton, it would have worked even better. Fisher is solid and be brought the ball up plenty, but he'd dump the ball into Shaq, or Kobe and the play would run from there because Fisher couldn't create like Kobe. The triangle relies on play makers who can create their own offense, and Parker can do that. no reason he wouldn't excel int he triangle.

Jamiecballer
11-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Nope. Not likely. Not enough ball for a second player to excel unless you are a big IMO

Jenceman
11-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Pretty weak comment with no substance.

If you don't like it, guess what... you don't have to post in it.

Such a negative nancy.

It is a pretty dumb thread question. Should've asked about the coaches.

zn23
11-17-2014, 12:28 AM
Not a chance. He would never take a back seat, like Duncan, and allow them to shine.

JasonJohnHorn
11-17-2014, 01:42 AM
It is a pretty dumb thread question. Should've asked about the coaches.

You are welcome to make your own thread. If you want to talk about coaching, that would make a great thread and I'd be happy to participate.

I'm interested in player chemistry and styles of games. If you don't want to participate in that conversation, nobody is asking you to.

But if you are just going to throw out things like 'dumb' because you don't like the subject... then you aren't contributing. You are just insulting.

You should ask yourself: does my comment contribute to the conversation? Or just spread negativity? If the answer is the later, you should likely not bother wasting your time typing your response, because it isn't going to make anybody's day better.

Trueblue2
11-17-2014, 02:01 AM
If Parker/Manu were lakers probably not. A few all star appearances and would be highly regarded role players a la fish/horry. If Kobe was a spur then yea they would for sure have.

Jeffy25
11-17-2014, 02:20 AM
This has nothing to do with Kobe

No Duncan, no Pop. They wouldn't have developed as well, because the system wouldn't have developed them as well.

Plus the triangle doesn't allow Parker to drive and shoot as much any way.

They would be forced to be different types of players than they are, so I doubt they would develop as well. Their skill sets work well in the system they have always played in.

This has less to do with Kobe, and more to do with Pop and the system in SA

benzni
11-17-2014, 02:27 AM
You are welcome to make your own thread. If you want to talk about coaching, that would make a great thread and I'd be happy to participate.

I'm interested in player chemistry and styles of games. If you don't want to participate in that conversation, nobody is asking you to.

But if you are just going to throw out things like 'dumb' because you don't like the subject... then you aren't contributing. You are just insulting.

You should ask yourself: does my comment contribute to the conversation? Or just spread negativity? If the answer is the later, you should likely not bother wasting your time typing your response, because it isn't going to make anybody's day better.

I think it has to do with the fact that this is yet another... wait for it.... Kobe Bryant thread.... It would have been a more intriguing question to ask if they would have developed into HOF players under the zen master rather than another player. Its tough because there aren't many better than Pop, but who knows. Personally, Im fine with the way both players turned out.

Ty22Mitchell
11-17-2014, 07:00 AM
Yeah... he would. Every hear of the twin towers? D-Rob+Duncan; Hakee+Sampson.

A Shaq/Wilt front court would have dominated.

As for Manu and Kobe.... Phil played Jordan and Harper in the back court together.... not reason why he couldn't do the same with Manu and Kobe... and both can handle the ball, so they'd be great for the triangle. And Kobe can slide to SF no problem for spells.

I disagee with you on Shaq and Wilt being a dominent tandom. They were both elite paint scorers, with with average defense. My concern with them playing together (especially in their prime) is it getting crowed under the basket due to poor spacing. Imo this means one of the two have to adapt their game to fit the other. Which lends the question, which guy is mature enough to it? Prime Shaq and Prime Wilt weren't the most mature guys. I'd feel better with a more skilled partner like Kareem for either one of them. However, once again maturity is a concern.

YAALREADYKNO
11-17-2014, 11:09 AM
No, but the lakers would've dominated even more and would've won more championships but as far as individual success I'd say parker accomplishes half of what he's had in his career because parker is not a pass first PG and kobe needs the ball. Duncans presence inside has allowed parker to go play to his strengths and that's to take his man off the dribble and get into the lane. Manu would've done what he's done and that's to be a great 6th man. The real question is what if manu had played starters minutes his entire career?

JasonJohnHorn
11-17-2014, 12:22 PM
I disagee with you on Shaq and Wilt being a dominent tandom. They were both elite paint scorers, with with average defense. My concern with them playing together (especially in their prime) is it getting crowed under the basket due to poor spacing. Imo this means one of the two have to adapt their game to fit the other. Which lends the question, which guy is mature enough to it? Prime Shaq and Prime Wilt weren't the most mature guys. I'd feel better with a more skilled partner like Kareem for either one of them. However, once again maturity is a concern.

Well put. You make a lot of great point.

I think Wilt had a decent mid-range game and hook shot, so he coudl have stepped out a bit, and both Shaq and Wilt were good passers....I think they could have made it work. And Wilt was a great defender. There are guys who say he blocked over 20 shots in a game before. He was an exceptional rim protector.

I think it depends on the era they are playing in as well. If it's any time up until the mid 90's, I think it works, because lots of teams had two post scorers (Hakeem/Thorpe; Mourning/Johnson; Daughtery/Nance). If it was any time after the back-to-the-back rules, then they may have struggled, but I expect they would have been able to make it work.

You concerns are legit though. They would have certainly had to adapt in a contemporary setting.

Hawkeye15
11-17-2014, 01:08 PM
They develop into great players, yep. not sure the fit is as good, but both Manu/TP would be great. Though, Manu does play the same position, so how many minutes is he ever getting? He would have been trade bait early. Parker may have been as well, he wasn't a good shooter early on, which is what the triangle needs from its PG

AIRMAR72
11-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Had the Lakers picked Parker and Manu, do you think they would have been able to develop into HOF players playing alongside Kobe instead of Duncan? not even in Kobe dreams the answer is NO

HeatFan
11-17-2014, 06:40 PM
does this mean that you think Manu is a HOFer?

HeatFan
11-17-2014, 06:41 PM
does this mean that you think Manu is a HOFer?

I think Manu is good, don't get me wrong, but HOF, too much.

Hawkeye15
11-17-2014, 06:43 PM
I think Manu is good, don't get me wrong, but HOF, too much.

its the Basketball HOF. He is 1st ballot dude, remember, all his international and FIBA accomplishments hold just as much weight as his NBA accomplishments, which are very good.

Manu is a 1st ballot HOF'er

HeatFan
11-17-2014, 06:46 PM
its the Basketball HOF. He is 1st ballot dude, remember, all his international and FIBA accomplishments hold just as much weight as his NBA accomplishments, which are very good.

Manu is a 1st ballot HOF'er

If that's the case I agree with you, again. I've always seen Manu as a WINNER in every level. NBA HOF I would have said no, basketball in general HOF okay!!

Hawkeye15
11-17-2014, 06:56 PM
If that's the case I agree with you, again. I've always seen Manu as a WINNER in every level. NBA HOF I would have said no, basketball in general HOF okay!!

yeah, that don't have an NBA HOF. I have been to the Basketball HOF, international, college, coaching, management, playing, every single facet of basketball can get you in there if you are good enough. Hence why when a thread started about Joe Dumars getting in, I said hell to the yes he is getting in

HeatFan
11-17-2014, 07:02 PM
yeah, that don't have an NBA HOF. I have been to the Basketball HOF, international, college, coaching, management, playing, every single facet of basketball can get you in there if you are good enough. Hence why when a thread started about Joe Dumars getting in, I said hell to the yes he is getting in

You think it would also include someone who more than on the court accomplishments has been an ambassador to the game in another country? say Yao Ming?