PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Cleveland to start making phone calls?

JasonJohnHorn
11-15-2014, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't suggest pulling the trigger on a trade right now, but think it would be a good idea to start making calls and see what they can potentially get back in return for Kyrie and Waiters.

Personally, I'd love to see Tony Allen and Mike Conley playing on this Cavs team right now (a deal that could land them and Gasol would be ideal but unlikely, even if they threw in Varejao or Thompson).

Rondo would of course be interesting because of his playmaking and defence, but he's a poor shooter and LBJ like to bring the ball up a lot, which would make Rondo less effective.

Jose Calderon would be a great fit on the offensive end because he's such a great shooter and passer, but on defense he'd be a liability.

Obviously the Cavs need to see if these players can build some chemistry before pulling the trigger on a deal, if for no other reason than there is just a boat load of talent and it is worth it to wait and see if they can work together, but if they can't, keeping Love is important moving forward and the franchise needs to compete for a title this year if the want to keep him.

Thoughts on potential trades or guys who would fit well?

jaydubb
11-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Trade lebron for kobe

Crackadalic
11-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Trade waiters and sign ray allen

xxplayerxx23
11-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Kyrie for shump and Calderon :nod: jk lol

beasted86
11-15-2014, 10:44 PM
No.
Good fit? Waiters replaced with Shumpert... but I don't think NY considers it.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-15-2014, 10:52 PM
They need to trade Waiters for a real shooter. Then trade TT for a real center.

bucketss
11-15-2014, 10:52 PM
theres no need to trade irving

JEDean89
11-15-2014, 10:59 PM
Why would they? They have plenty of flexibility and can offer a nice package of Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson to a number of teams. They will try and lure another C to this team but that is really tough to do. I bet they give it a year and make a deal next offseason after they know what this team can be and what they need to win a chip.

SF8
11-15-2014, 11:00 PM
I don't think Grisz would trade Conley and Allen for Kyrie.

Conley is better and more durable than Kyrie.

JasonJohnHorn
11-15-2014, 11:34 PM
I don't think Grisz would trade Conley and Allen for Kyrie.

Conley is better and more durable than Kyrie.

I agree. I think if you're playing street ball, Kyrie is the guy you want because he can blow past guys and have a crazy iso skill set, but in the NBA, I'd rather have Conley as my point guard with his play-making and defense.

I think a deal that looks something like this would work: Kyrie+Waiters+Triston+Varejoa for Conley+Allen+Gasol+ maybe a pick

That would give Memphis a creative wing player in Kyrie and shooter in Waiters, and a deeper rotation in the front court even if neither is as good as Gasol. It also opens up a longer window for Memphis because Waiters, Tristan, and Kyrie are all younger than Conley, Allen and Gasol. For Cleveland, they get a distributing point guard and a great passer in the paint, plus all three guys are solid defenders and Allen can hit long range shots.

The thing is, I get the feeling that both teams would think they were giving up too much and in all honestly, I think the Grizz would be getting raped on the deal in the long run because I anticipate Kyrie will be more like Stephon Marbury than Isiah Thomas, and Waiters seems to really want to be a first option, while Anderson-V can't seem to stay healthy.

TrueFan420
11-15-2014, 11:37 PM
Memphis would never make that deal

Howard_Zinn
11-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Haha.. Yes they would.. Memphis would trade Conley for Kyrie in a second.. They lose Gasol next year and the whole team is aging.. Laughable.

Arch Stanton
11-16-2014, 12:13 AM
This thread is laughable. The Cavs aren't trading anyone right now and WILL NOT be trading Kyrie in the near future. Dion maybe but it's been eight games. They also just demolished the Hawks tonight so I think everyone is safe for another game.

valade16
11-16-2014, 12:17 AM
No way Memphis trades both Conley AND Gasol for anything Cleveland offers short of Bron and/or Love.

mike_noodles
11-16-2014, 12:39 AM
Kyrie for shump and Calderon :nod: jk lol

Unless you say yes.

TrueFan420
11-16-2014, 12:45 AM
Haha.. Yes they would.. Memphis would trade Conley for Kyrie in a second.. They lose Gasol next year and the whole team is aging.. Laughable.

Gasol isn't leaving... Where would he go? Whos got money and a better team than he's on. Conley is very underrated. While Kyrie might end up the better player the difference won't be as much as some might think.

FlashBolt
11-16-2014, 12:55 AM
1) Why would they trade Kyrie? He's been improving and getting adjusted to his role. This dude dropped 20 points on 9 attempts today.. He's averaging 26 points on 50% shooting.. and it's become evident that he doesn't mind deferring in which he stated: "I told James to take over." Kyrie is mature for his age. He's only 22! If he can stay healthy, Cavs trading him would be a travesty. Unless you're getting Stephen Curry or CP3, no thanks. For the future, Kyrie will be a top 5 PG without a question.
2) Waiters is a definite trade IMO. The team plays better without him. His defense is impressive but Cavs don't need any ISO-play when they already have three stars on the team. Waiters should be traded for someone who can knock down threes and can do the dirty work. Heck, trade him for a draft pick. Mike Miller/James Jones could use some playing time.

Arch Stanton
11-16-2014, 01:01 AM
Waiters did have 8 assists tonight, so maybe hes learning?

FlashBolt
11-16-2014, 01:15 AM
Waiters did have 8 assists tonight, so maybe hes learning?

C'mon, Cavs were just on a roll tonight. It's very rare that you will see this happening as Cavs broke a franchise record for threes made and heck, didn't James make his first three pointers? Just rare that this will happen again. I like Waiters because he reminds me of a more calm Westbrook, but it's just not a great fit for this team. It'd be best for him financially and career wise to go for a team that can use his offensive talent. Nowadays, with the amount of superstars in the league, it would be difficult to find someone who could use a medium level talent who is looking to score no matter what. I mean, how many teams would take J.R. Smith/J Crawford willingly? Sure, they can score but it's always at a price. Waiters can defend, can score, but he has more than enough baggage around him. The Pacers could use him for sure. I mean, how is Waiters going to get a better contract when he's the 4th-5th option on a team? He's an easy 20 PPG/4/4 player. Being in this particular team is a no-go for up-and-coming players. Which is why Cavs should just trade Waiters for someone who's expertise is defense/three point shooting. I actually suggested that Shumpert would be an amazing fit considering he's a good defender and knows how to play within a system, but there is no way NYK are trading him with what he has been doing as of late. Plus, I don't think Carmelo would like that.

mightybosstone
11-16-2014, 01:35 AM
There's a ton of things wrong with this thread, JJH. First off, teams never stop making calls. I'm sure the Cavs front office has had conversations with other teams' front offices about a number of players, including Waiters. Secondly, trading Irving makes no freaking sense, especially with Love being a free agent after this season. Finally, why do we need threads like this right now? It hasn't even been 10 games yet, and the Cavs actually seem to be putting this thing together. If they're still hovering around .500 in January, we can have this conversation again. But until then, lets' cool it on the Cavaliers trade talk threads.

ThuglifeJ
11-16-2014, 02:03 AM

Not a chance. Conley's their leader ..and an elite defender which is memphis' identity...only way Memphis trades Conley for another pg is Chris Paul.

Annoying you have no idea what you're saying and then say laughable...

cmellofan15
11-16-2014, 02:25 AM
trade lebron for anthony davis cuz he's the best big man ever

RLundi
11-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Seriously? It hasn't even been 10 games yet for Christ's sake.

Goose17
11-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Face palm'n the **** out of myself right now. What a topic.

Jamiecballer
11-16-2014, 01:26 PM
cleveland should have been on the phone looking to move Waiters before they even played a game but the rest of the team is fine and they are turning things around.

Howard_Zinn
11-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Gasol isn't leaving... Where would he go? Whos got money and a better team than he's on. Conley is very underrated. While Kyrie might end up the better player the difference won't be as much as some might think.

Gasol will end up in New York or San Antonio.. Mark my words.

Howard_Zinn
11-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Not a chance. Conley's their leader ..and an elite defender which is memphis' identity...only way Memphis trades Conley for another pg is Chris Paul.

Annoying you have no idea what you're saying and then say laughable...

Kyrie is worth in a trade a ton more than Conley.. Also, like I said, Gasol will be in a different uniform next year and he's their best player.. So yeah, laughable. Maybe they don't make the trade this year because this is their last shot at a title (which could happen, they are that good).. But going forward Conley is not worth what Kyrie is and without Gasol they pull the trigger..

TrueFan420
11-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Gasol will end up in New York or San Antonio.. Mark my words.

Spurs don't have the space to sign him. And no body wants to go to the Knicks.

likemystylez
11-16-2014, 09:39 PM
trade lebron for anthony davis cuz he's the best big man ever

and yet he has never been in the playoffs? hmmm more than half the teams make the playoffs and he hasnt been there a single time. hmmmmm all the best players in history never make the playoffs