that'd be great for them,but doubt it happens

PurpleLynch
11-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Hawk is gonna love it!

Jokes aside,I doubt it will happen.

TrueFan420
11-15-2014, 04:26 PM
that'd be great for them,but doubt it happens

His pockets aren't deep enough for that to be great for them. They might need new ownership but KG alone isn't the answer. It will have to be a team of rich people and just make him the face.

Hawkeye15
11-15-2014, 04:33 PM
anything is better than Glen Taylor..

KG would need to buy minority stake, or majority, depending on how many investors he can get in. I could for sure see this happening in 2-3 years, Taylor is already old as hell, and has hinted at looking to sell the team.

I would love it actually. Come home KG.

DoMeFavors
11-15-2014, 04:35 PM
KG wouldn't be a cheap owner the dude is all about winning. He would bring the Twolves in right direction and give a lot of his friends jobs in Organization. I hope it happens.

Goose17
11-15-2014, 04:43 PM
KG wouldn't be a cheap owner the dude is all about winning.

Genuinely read that as "whining" then had to re-read lol.

I don't think he could even get the 10% down but who knows. If he had some good investors, I think he would be a decent owner. Can't be any worse than current T'Wolves owners really.

TrueFan420
11-15-2014, 06:55 PM
KG wouldn't be a cheap owner the dude is all about winning. He would bring the Twolves in right direction and give a lot of his friends jobs in Organization. I hope it happens.

1) he doesn't have the money to splash on going all out either

2) giving your friends jobs in the organization isn't exactly a great business practice for a multitude of reasons

JustinTime
11-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Minnesota better pray that this is true because they'll lose that team if the don't find someone soon.

KnicksorBust
11-15-2014, 08:13 PM
KG wouldn't be a cheap owner the dude is all about winning.

Genuinely read that as "whining" then had to re-read lol.

I don't think he could even get the 10% down but who knows. If he had some good investors, I think he would be a decent owner. Can't be any worse than current T'Wolves owners really.

How much has KG made in just salary? I bet he could become a small stake owner with ease.

dhopisthename
11-15-2014, 08:33 PM
kg is worth about 180 million
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nba/kevin-garnett-net-worth/

no nba franchise is going to sell for less then 500 mill. so at most he would be a minority owner.

lamzoka
11-15-2014, 09:18 PM
remembered when JayZ "owned the nets" with 0.0001% stake.

That would be KG with the Wolves

FlashBolt
11-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Yeah, most likely a partnership thing going on here. Don't see KG being a majority stake holder in a franchise. It's just impossible when you're just a basketball player. Granted, Jordan was a basketball player along with Magic but those guys were savvy businessmen with lots of star power. Would love to see KG stick with anything that has to do with the NBA. I have a feeling this will be his last season..

SoCal Bob
11-16-2014, 04:04 AM
KG should force a trade to Minny and finish his career there.

Goose17
11-16-2014, 09:10 AM
How much has KG made in just salary? I bet he could become a small stake owner with ease.

You think he's never spent a dime of his salary? It's more likely that he's in debt. Millionaires buy **** they can't afford because they think they'll be millionaires forever and can pay it off at a later date.

There's a reason 60% of NBA players are broke 4 years after retirement.

KnicksorBust
11-16-2014, 10:06 AM

You think he's never spent a dime of his salary? It's more likely that he's in debt. Millionaires buy **** they can't afford because they think they'll be millionaires forever and can pay it off at a later date.

There's a reason 60% of NBA players are broke 4 years after retirement.

Where did you find that stat?

Goose17
11-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Where did you find that stat?

It's from that ESPN documentary "broke"

I got it wrong. It's 60% are broke five years after retirement. Not four.

jerellh528
11-16-2014, 10:23 AM
I doubt he could afford even 5%. Even if he saved every penny since he started playing he couldn't even afford 1/3 of what it would take to purchase a team. And besides his salary, he wasn't exactly Lebron james when it comes to endorsements. Unless he was doing some other ventures on the side on the down low, I just don't see him owning a significant enough portion to make a difference. More likely a mascot owner like jay z was.

jerellh528
11-16-2014, 10:23 AM

It's even worse for nfl players, I think it's 78%. The majority of these dudes are dumb as rocks.

hugepatsfan
11-16-2014, 11:21 AM
He could have possibly just bought stocks that worked out well for him. :shrug:

IDK what his financial situation is. I know he needs to have done a lot more than just cash his NBA checks though if he wants to own a team with any real sort of control. I'll be interested to see if he does end up in some position with an NBA team after retirement and if he does, how he does in it. I know in BOS he used to not be able to watch games from the bench when injured because he got too intense. That might rule out coaching for him. As a GM/owner I fear he might be to loyal to his players to the point of hurting the basketball team (loyalty was a big reason he let the end of his prime go to waste with MIN).

JustinTime
11-16-2014, 11:54 AM
I doubt KG has the money to buy a majority stake and I doubt there are many investors in Minnesota willing to help out since their current owner already tried to find a successor and couldn't. One thing I will say is that the Twolves value is probably dirt cheap so if KG wants a team the Twolves will likely be the most affordable. They have the cheapest seats in the NBA on average which means there isn't much demand for them in Minnesota and that also likely means they don't have a very high market value.

Hawkeye15
11-17-2014, 01:12 PM
I doubt KG has the money to buy a majority stake and I doubt there are many investors in Minnesota willing to help out since their current owner already tried to find a successor and couldn't. One thing I will say is that the Twolves value is probably dirt cheap so if KG wants a team the Twolves will likely be the most affordable. They have the cheapest seats in the NBA on average which means there isn't much demand for them in Minnesota and that also likely means they don't have a very high market value.

Remember what teams are selling for though...

Wolves would probably go for half a billion right now.

dhopisthename
11-17-2014, 01:43 PM

I only breifly read the article, but most of those guys were players who played for 1-4 years who thought they would be in the nba for 10 years and when it didn't work out they were screwed. obviously there are guys like walker and AI who made over a 100 million and still went broke, but I think for the most part those are the exceptions not the rule

Hawkeye15
11-17-2014, 03:47 PM
I only breifly read the article, but most of those guys were players who played for 1-4 years who thought they would be in the nba for 10 years and when it didn't work out they were screwed. obviously there are guys like walker and AI who made over a 100 million and still went broke, but I think for the most part those are the exceptions not the rule

yeah, once you hit a certain number of years/salary, there aren't many losing all their money. It is indeed a ton of the guys who were in the league for just a few years, making minimum, that go broke. Not as difficult as you think to lose $3-4 million. But you have to be a ****ing moron to lose 10-30 times that...ala Iverson/Walker. And what was Jason Caffey doing? 10 kids? Why dude, why?

Goose17
11-17-2014, 04:29 PM

It was 60% of total players. The majority of NBA players are not lifers. 60% is probably short career guys. But that doesn't mean these dudes are still rich.

I find it highly unlikely Garnett has any real sort of money, not enough to buy a franchise. It's all to do with life style, the more you earn, the more you spend.

If Barkley hadn't gotten that job with TNT he would be broke, he spent like 10 million in one night. Kenny Anderson, Eddy Curry, Coleman, Antoine Walker, Sprewell, Pippen, Shawn Kemp, Vin Baker... quite a few long time players went bankrupt at one point.

Not saying Garnett is broke just saying his salaries have probably been squandered for the most part.

Bruno
11-17-2014, 04:54 PM
KG may have spent most of his career alongside scrubs, but here's the payoff.

KG is the highest paid NBA player in history, and he can jump into the owners game if he really wants. Duncan has made 100M less than KG by the books.

Hawkeye15
11-17-2014, 06:46 PM
KG may have spent most of his career alongside scrubs, but here's the payoff.

KG is the highest paid NBA player in history, and he can jump into the owners game if he really wants. Duncan has made 100M less than KG by the books.

oh KG effectively caused that lockout in the late 90's...

He has made huge money.

JustinTime
11-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Remember what teams are selling for though...

Wolves would probably go for half a billion right now.

half a billion for an NBA team these days probably would be considered cheap. I doubt KG's anywhere close to that though so he'll need some other people with deep pockets which is easier said than done.