PDA

View Full Version : Combine both conferences - Who makes the playoffs and where are they seated?

Arch Stanton
11-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Pretend that the East and the West are one combined conference and each team plays each other the same number of games (or close to it) during the regular season. Which teams make the playoffs (assuming 16 teams will make it) and where are they seated going into the playoffs?

1. SAS
2. Clippers
3. Chicago
4. Golden State
5. Portland
6. CAVS
7. Dallas
8. Memphis
9. Houston
10. Pelicans
11. Toronto
12. Phoenix
13. Washington
14. Miami
15. Charlotte
16. Atlanta

jerellh528
11-14-2014, 11:35 AM
The western conference standings with like 3 east teams sprinkled in the middle/ bottom.

Hawkeye15
11-14-2014, 11:38 AM
no way 6 east teams make it. Maybe 4, and that is a huge maybe.

Cavs, Bulls, Raps are the only for sures. I think that might be it actually.

Arch Stanton
11-14-2014, 11:44 AM
no way 6 east teams make it. Maybe 4, and that is a huge maybe.

Cavs, Bulls, Raps are the only for sures. I think that might be it actually.

What other Western teams make it?

Arch Stanton
11-14-2014, 11:46 AM
I forgot about Utah... I might add them and take out Atlanta. And I might also throw in Denver.

Arch Stanton
11-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Here's my revised list:

1. SAS
2. Clippers
3. Chicago
4. Golden State
5. Portland
6. CAVS
7. Dallas
8. Memphis
9. Houston
10. Pelicans
11. Toronto
12. Phoenix
13. Washington
14. Miami
15. Utah
16. Denver

Hawkeye15
11-14-2014, 11:52 AM
there is a team in Oklahoma City that might make it....

Arch Stanton
11-14-2014, 11:53 AM

Oops... yes they will make it.

Cal827
11-14-2014, 12:15 PM

I guess I'm one of the few who thinks they are going to struggle mightily this year to get back into form this season.

Anyways

1. Spurs (I gotta stop thinking that they're eventually going to fall off :pity )
2. Warriors
3. Bulls
4. Cavs
5. Grizzlies
6. Rockets
7. Clippers
8. Portland
9. Phoenix
10. Miami
11. Toronto
12. Washington
13. Brooklyn
14. Kings
15. Charlotte (I think they'll get better as the season goes)
16. Pelicans

Hawkeye15
11-14-2014, 12:19 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who thinks they are going to struggle mightily this year to get back into form this season.

Anyways

1. Spurs (I gotta stop thinking that they're eventually going to fall off :pity )
2. Warriors
3. Bulls
4. Cavs
5. Grizzlies
6. Rockets
7. Clippers
8. Portland
9. Phoenix
10. Miami
11. Toronto
12. Washington
13. Brooklyn
14. Kings
15. Charlotte (I think they'll get better as the season goes)
16. Pelicans

They will have 50 games of a healthy KD/Westbrook. That is 35 wins alone, at least. Hell, in the east, that is enough to get you in....

I still think they win 50 games.

7 east teams? cmon

Cal827
11-14-2014, 12:26 PM
They will have 50 games of a healthy KD/Westbrook. That is 35 wins alone, at least. Hell, in the east, that is enough to get you in....

7 east teams? cmon

My mistake forgot to put Dallas in :laugh:

But anyways, I'm not entirely convinced on the bottom 5 teams in the West. 35-15 while playing in the West is quite a daunting task. They'll have to adapt to having each other in the line-up and the other guys would have to change their game around too, as well as shaking off the rust. That might cost them 5 games alone.

Their schedule does get harder later on in the year too, with more of the West Elite, and a couple road trips. I think that they'll only win 30 games at most during that span. But we will see.

Charlotte/New Orleans is a toss up to me though.

jerellh528
11-14-2014, 12:27 PM
1. Golden state
2. San Antonio
3. Memphis
4. Bulls
5. Clippers
6. Portland
7. Dallas
8. Toronto
9. Houston
10. Phoenix
11. Cleveland
12. New Orleans
13. Miami
14. Okc
15. Sacramento
16. Lakers ;) jk

Hawkeye15
11-14-2014, 12:31 PM
My mistake forgot to put Dallas in :laugh:

But anyways, I'm not entirely convinced on the bottom 5 teams in the West. 35-15 while playing in the West is quite a daunting task. They'll have to adapt to having each other in the line-up and the other guys would have to change their game around too, as well as shaking off the rust. That might cost them 5 games alone.

Their schedule does get harder later on in the year too, with more of the West Elite, and a couple road trips. I think that they'll only win 30 games at most during that span. But we will see.

Charlotte/New Orleans is a toss up to me though.

why would they need to adapt? They have played together, in the exact same offense, for 4 years now.

I just think the east has shown to be so pathetic the last 20 years, I don't trust more than 3-4 teams to win enough games to compete for top 16. For instance, last year, with a healthy Indy team, the east gets 4 teams in this thread. Do you really expect that to increase? Replace Indy with Cleveland, bout it for me.

D-Leethal
11-14-2014, 12:41 PM

7 east teams? cmon

There has gotta be some sort of ease-into-it period for them and they won't come back from long term injuries guns blazing. I personally don't think they make the playoffs this year - West is too stacked.

Chicago and Cleveland would be the only teams that make it from the East, and I am not sure if they had to play West competition on a nightly basis that they would even make it.

D-Leethal
11-14-2014, 12:44 PM
why would they need to adapt? They have played together, in the exact same offense, for 4 years now.

I just think the east has shown to be so pathetic the last 20 years, I don't trust more than 3-4 teams to win enough games to compete for top 16. For instance, last year, with a healthy Indy team, the east gets 4 teams in this thread. Do you really expect that to increase? Replace Indy with Cleveland, bout it for me.

You can play together forever but its not like riding a bike in basketball after long term injuries - it never is. KD has never had a big time injury like this and they hit some rough patches last year after Westbrook returned from his long term injury and KD was trying to figure out how to get himself acclimated back with Russ after dominating the ball every possession in his absense. IMO its foolish to think they jump right back on the court and instantly look like the best duo in the league again from the get-go.

Expecting 35-15 is too much if you ask me, they will be facing stacked competition that has been playing together all season while they are basically starting from scratch and getting thrown right into the WC fire.

Arch Stanton
11-14-2014, 01:01 PM
There has gotta be some sort of ease-into-it period for them and they won't come back from long term injuries guns blazing. I personally don't think they make the playoffs this year - West is too stacked.

Chicago and Cleveland would be the only teams that make it from the East, and I am not sure if they had to play West competition on a nightly basis that they would even make it.

Yes they would.

Thumper 88
11-14-2014, 01:27 PM
I don't think any team in the eastern conference makes even the top 8

You have to think now. The west teams won't beat each other up as much and the east teams have to play the west teams more

Arch Stanton
11-14-2014, 01:31 PM
I don't think any team in the eastern conference makes even the top 8

You have to think now. The west teams won't beat each other up as much and the east teams have to play the west teams more

I think the Cavs and Bulls make the top 8 if they were in the Western conference.

Thumper 88
11-14-2014, 01:47 PM
I think the Cavs and Bulls make the top 8 if they were in the Western conference.

Maybe.. But didn't you list them 3&4? There no way I think they make that.

Jamiecballer
11-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Raptors and Bulls are probably the only 2 east teams that would make it this year. Cavs after they throw Waiters and Irving overboard.

Arch Stanton
11-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Maybe.. But didn't you list them 3&4? There no way I think they make that.

I listed them 3 and 6.

Jamiecballer
11-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Whoops forgot it was 16 teams not 8. Throw Wizards and Heat in.

Miltstar
11-14-2014, 02:57 PM

There are only 15 teams in the west lol you don't think the Raps/Heat/Wiz make it over teams like Denver/Minnesota/LA Lakers/Utah?

Sanjay
11-14-2014, 07:12 PM
If there were no significant injuries (e.g. Durant and Westbrook) and the Cavaliers did not take longer than expected to get into rhythm:
1. Spurs
2. Cavaliers
3. Thunder
4. Warriors
5. Bulls
6. Rockets
7. Clippers
8. Trail Blazers
9. Mavericks
10. Grizzlies
11. Raptors
12. Wizards
13. Suns
14. Nets
15. Heat
16. Bobcats

Sanjay
11-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Pretend that the East and the West are one combined conference and each team plays each other the same number of games (or close to it) during the regular season. Which teams make the playoffs (assuming 16 teams will make it) and where are they seated going into the playoffs?

1. SAS
2. Clippers
3. Chicago
4. Golden State
5. Portland
6. CAVS
7. Dallas
8. Memphis
9. Houston
10. Pelicans
11. Toronto
12. Phoenix
13. Washington
14. Miami
15. Charlotte
16. Atlanta

I see you ranked the Clippers 2nd, how do you think they will go in the playoffs?

mightybosstone
11-14-2014, 07:26 PM
With very little research, I believe you'd be looking at something like this:

1. San Antonio
2. LA Clippers
3. Cleveland
4. Houston
5. Golden State
6. Chicago
7. Memphis
8. Oklahoma City
9. Portland
10. Dallas
11. Toronto
12. Phoenix
13. Miami
14. New Orleans
15. Washington
16. Atlanta

I don't think the East is nearly as bad as people are making them seem to be. There would be a lot more than four Eastern Conference teams in the playoffs as some have suggested. However, I do think that Cleveland and Chicago are the only teams capable of getting HCA in the first round. Teams like Toronto, Miami and Washington would likely make the postseason, but they'd more likely be a double-digit seed. And I think Atlanta, Brooklyn and Charlotte would all be borderline playoff teams. I just gave Atlanta the edge because I like them the most on paper.

Bruno
11-14-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm a fan of a 16 team playoff bracket. if it were a 16 team bracket I think Cleveland, Chicago, Miami, Washington and Toronto would be playoff teams. i think only those 5 EC teams are playoffs teams this year if we had a 16 team bracket.

theGhost-isGone
11-14-2014, 08:00 PM
With very little research, I believe you'd be looking at something like this:

1. San Antonio
2. LA Clippers
3. Cleveland
4. Houston
5. Golden State
6. Chicago
7. Memphis
8. Oklahoma City
9. Portland
10. Dallas
11. Toronto
12. Phoenix
13. Miami
14. New Orleans
15. Washington
16. Atlanta

I don't think the East is nearly as bad as people are making them seem to be. There would be a lot more than four Eastern Conference teams in the playoffs as some have suggested. However, I do think that Cleveland and Chicago are the only teams capable of getting HCA in the first round. Teams like Toronto, Miami and Washington would likely make the postseason, but they'd more likely be a double-digit seed. And I think Atlanta, Brooklyn and Charlotte would all be borderline playoff teams. I just gave Atlanta the edge because I like them the most on paper.

I agree though I think Houston and Golden State would finish higher than Cleveland, also think Phoenix and Dallas could finish higher than you ranked them here just IMO.

mightybosstone
11-15-2014, 01:01 AM
I'm a fan of a 16 team playoff bracket. if it were a 16 team bracket I think Cleveland, Chicago, Miami, Washington and Toronto would be playoff teams. i think only those 5 EC teams are playoffs teams this year if we had a 16 team bracket.

I disagree. If that were the case, that means 11 teams would make it in the West. Do you really think Sacramento, Utah, Minnesota, Denver or the Lakers are better than Atlanta, Brooklyn or Charlotte? I don't. Maybe Sacramento, but I still think their hot start was a fluke and they'll come back down to a sub .500 record as the season progresses.

mightybosstone
11-15-2014, 01:05 AM
I agree though I think Houston and Golden State would finish higher than Cleveland, also think Phoenix and Dallas could finish higher than you ranked them here just IMO.

It would sort of depend. Just because you have 16 teams make the playoffs regardless of conference doesn't make Cleveland's schedule any more difficult or the Rockets or Warriors schedules any easier. I think the Cavs will ultimately end up with the better record by the end of the season in part because they play a far easier schedule in the East.

Thumper 88
11-15-2014, 01:17 AM
It would sort of depend. Just because you have 16 teams make the playoffs regardless of conference doesn't make Cleveland's schedule any more difficult or the Rockets or Warriors schedules any easier. I think the Cavs will ultimately end up with the better record by the end of the season in part because they play a far easier schedule in the East.

The op said if each team player each other the same amount of times or close to..

InRoseWeTrust
11-15-2014, 01:25 AM
I've often wondered this. I (as a Bulls fan) often debate with my close friend who is a Rockets fan. The West is clearly deeper, but I do think the Bulls could hang with the West elite, at least in terms of being a top 4 seed.

Legitimate
11-15-2014, 02:22 AM
raptors are getting down played so hard up in this, i know we had a easy schedule and almost beat the bulls. we were top ten in offense and defense last year and we are better than ever now. we had a above 50 win percentage against the west last year. 11th place that's it? nah i say top ten :)

Edit: it's just damn TNT not making raptor games a priority so now the raps are flying under the radar.

Vinny642
11-15-2014, 03:15 AM
If there is no conferences, they should take out divisions.... the Southwest is still unfair to play in

Arch Stanton
11-15-2014, 10:28 AM
raptors are getting down played so hard up in this, i know we had a easy schedule and almost beat the bulls. we were top ten in offense and defense last year and we are better than ever now. we had a above 50 win percentage against the west last year. 11th place that's it? nah i say top ten :)

Edit: it's just damn TNT not making raptor games a priority so now the raps are flying under the radar.

How are they getting downplayed? I think most have said they'd make the playoffs under this system. The West is much stronger and I'm not sure they'd make the playoffs if they played in the West. If they did they'd probably be an 8th seed.

Bruno
11-15-2014, 06:24 PM
I disagree. If that were the case, that means 11 teams would make it in the West. Do you really think Sacramento, Utah, Minnesota, Denver or the Lakers are better than Atlanta, Brooklyn or Charlotte? I don't. Maybe Sacramento, but I still think their hot start was a fluke and they'll come back down to a sub .500 record as the season progresses.

SAS-OKC-LAC-GSW-HOU-MEM-POR-DAL
NOP-SAC-PHO

I think those three teams outside the top eight challenge ATL, BRK and CHA, but that's just a gut prediction. CHA is the best out of those three teams and if I might forfeit to you that they make it over those 9-11 WC teams. But for ATL and BRK, I kind of like the WC teams better. 10/6 is more accurate, although in my defense charlotte hasn't been impressive.