PDA

View Full Version : Howard talks about trying to get Stan Van fired, leaving Magic, n clashes with Kobe

spreadeagle
11-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Dwight Howard became a villain of sorts among basketball fans, for the way he chose to exit two separate organizations.

His divorce from the Magic was as messy as possible, and involved him asking for the team to fire then-head coach Stan Van Gundy, and going back and forth about opting in and out of the final year of his deal before finally demanding a trade out of town.

In a new documentary entitled “Dwight Howard: In The Moment”, Howard candidly explains his side of the story.

From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:

Dwight on asking Magic management to make a coaching change after Orlando’s first-round exit in the 2011 playoffs:

“We shouldn’t be losing like this. I wanted to win. And I went to management and I said: ‘Guys, I’m a player. I just want to give my two cents. I think that our coach has lost his touch with the team. Great coach, but I think he’s lost his touch, I think he’s lost his voice. And I think it’s time that you guys get a new voice.’ I said, ‘I love him as a coach, but I think we need a new voice.’ … Six weeks [later], they finally respond [and say], ‘We’re gonna keep Stan.’ So I’m like: ‘OK. That lets me know how you guys feel about your leader expressing how to make the team better.’ “

Dwight on the trade demand that soon followed:

“That summer I just thought about what I needed for my career. And when I got back [to Orlando], I let those guys know that I wanted to be traded. … I just wanted a change for myself. I didn’t want it to be done publicly. I just wanted it to happen silently. And I’d go to a new team, start fresh. Well, it didn’t happen that way. … The season comes around and they asked me to come to the office, shook my hand and they said, ‘We’re gonna trade you tomorrow.’ The next day the trade didn’t happen, but they came out and said I wanted to be traded. And that’s when everything went downhill. And I feel like I should have came out and said some things at that point to let people know what was going on, but in that situation I really didn’t know what to do.”

The quote, again via Stein:

“Before I got to the Lakers, I would talk to him [and] he would really help me out on the [down] low about how to become everything that I said I wanted to be. And I looked up to him and I looked up to everything he, as a basketball player, stood for. … [By the end of that season] I just felt so hurt and disappointed in the fact that the guy that I was expecting to be somebody who was gonna pass the torch, somebody to say, ‘Dwight, I’ll take you under my wing and I’ll show you how to get it done’ … it was none of that.”

Kobe Bryant is not in any way the singular reason the Lakers franchise finds itself where it is today. But the way he clashed with Howard is undoubtedly the reason that Dwight now plays for the Houston Rockets.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/12/dwight-howard-talks-about-his-exit-from-orlando-explains-reasons-for-asking-magic-to-fire-stan-van-gundy/

lamzoka
11-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Dwight playing the blame game.

Kaner
11-12-2014, 10:36 PM
I didn't care much about the Dwight Howard drama but even his side of the story comes off as weak at parts. When a team decides not to fire their decorated coach because one players says so. It sounds like it became me vs the team in his mind.

The part with 'them' telling him he'll be traded the next day seems pretty strange though

D-Leethal
11-12-2014, 10:43 PM
What a clown. Definitely isn't helping his image or his case in either scenario with those quotes at least.

D-Leethal
11-12-2014, 10:46 PM
I can't believe he would release statements like that willingly in his own documentary. This guy has some of the worst PR people around him of anyone in the league.

LA_Raiders
11-13-2014, 12:18 AM
Lol, shut up already

Howard_Zinn
11-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Howard is a clown.. Never hated a player more.. Even his face says, "hit me"..

DarkKnight
11-13-2014, 12:50 AM
:yawn:

ricky recon
11-13-2014, 01:11 AM
Difference between a man and a boy isn't age, it is mind.

slaker619
11-13-2014, 01:16 AM
No one cares act like a man

P&GRealist
11-13-2014, 01:17 AM
The Lakers may suck real bad right now, and probably will next yr as well, but losing Howard was a blessing in disguise. Soon, the guy would have felt that he was bigger than the Lakers organization.

ghettosean
11-13-2014, 01:20 AM
Glad to know more of what went down... Though i think he did the right thing by being straight with his team that he want a trade silently to give me the team the best chance to move him and get a good return on him.

P&GRealist
11-13-2014, 01:21 AM
No one cares act like a man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IetpS2Fb9k

TrueFan420
11-13-2014, 01:39 AM
While what he's saying kind of comes off childish, maybe a better word is weak willed, I will say this... At least he is man enough to come out and be honest about what happened even though it doesn't paint him in the best of lights. Which I'm hoping he actually did consciously.

ILLUSIONIST^248
11-13-2014, 02:01 AM
I'm so glad this giant kid is out of LA. He has no business being in the conversation with our all time laker bigs.

PurpleJesus
11-13-2014, 02:28 AM
Wow Dwight! Says he just wanted to give his 2 cents about Stan Van, then gets all bitter when they didnt fire him? Dwight, you can express your opinion, but it doesnt always mean you will get your way. You saying them not firing Stan Van let you know how they felt about you? Well, what does it say about how you feel about the front office leaders when you get upset they didnt fire the guy?

And then, you go to the front office and demand a trade, and then get upset when they say "yeah, Dwight wanted to be traded."?

This guy is unbelievable.

Goose17
11-13-2014, 03:00 AM
Not trading him is weird.

The rest of the stuff... his agent needs to get him better P R people.

Goose17
11-13-2014, 03:01 AM
Kobe just doesn't like big men, drove out Shaq now Dwight. Only big guy he's ever liked is Pau. Lol.

SF8
11-13-2014, 03:37 AM
Kobe just doesn't like big men, drove out Shaq now Dwight. Only big guy he's ever liked is Pau. Lol.

Kobe didn't like Kwame either.

You didn't say "good big men"....

GunFactor187
11-13-2014, 05:31 AM
I can't wait until the Pistons play the Rockets this season lol.

c.c.
11-13-2014, 08:09 AM
I can't wait until the Pistons play the Rockets this season lol.

So this can happen

http://www.nba.com/video/games/pistons/2013/12/21/0021300396-hou-det-recap.nba/

kdspurman
11-13-2014, 08:32 AM
So this can happen

http://www.nba.com/video/games/pistons/2013/12/21/0021300396-hou-det-recap.nba/

I'm guessing he meant so he can see Stan vs Dwight...

5ass
11-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Vuc, hark, payton, fournier and still a future first. I cant be mad at dwight. Atleast he didnt leave us with nothing like he did the lakers.

mightybosstone
11-13-2014, 10:10 AM
I'll admit that some of these quotes don't paint Howard in the most positive of lights (mainly the Orlando stuff), but at least he was honest about what happened and what his thought process was through the whole thing. I still don't know that we're getting the whole story about the falling out between he and Van Gundy, though.

ghettosean
11-13-2014, 11:10 AM
I'll admit that some of these quotes don't paint Howard in the most positive of lights (mainly the Orlando stuff), but at least he was honest about what happened and what his thought process was through the whole thing. I still don't know that we're getting the whole story about the falling out between he and Van Gundy, though.

+1

rockets-fan
11-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Well I for one am 100% glad all this went down.

Before Howard signed with the Rockets, I was so mad at the rumors of him coming to Houston. I disliked his game so much because he relied on his athletic ability.

He has really won me over, say what you want about him, he is trying his best to win now and it shows. He might not be that monster he was in Orlando but he has played dam good in Houston and the only other center is like over him is Marc Gasol.

We love you here in Houston Deight, let the haters hate!

JasonJohnHorn
11-13-2014, 02:02 PM
I gotta say... not a fan of Dwight, but he's got a point He never came out and demanded SVG get fired. He did questiont he coach publicly, which I don't like, but Dwight has to realize that part of the reason SVG lost his voice is that Dwight wasn't listening to him. When the best player on the team is more concerned with getting touches than winning, and then tunes out the coach when he doesn't get the ball, it hurts the team and the coach's ability to do his job.

As for the trade, he didn't publicly demand a trade. Guys get in a bad situation, you go to the front office, let them know how you feel so they can work something out that works for everybody, but they came out and said he wanted the trade. Just liek SVG came out and said he requested SVG get fired. That is not cool.

As for leaving LAL... that is all on Kobe, Buss and 'Antoni.

Goose17
11-13-2014, 05:25 PM
I wonder if he still wants to play in Brooklyn? LOL. Him and Deron were supposed to build a dynasty haha

TheNumber37
11-13-2014, 09:06 PM
If I'm management I'm not listening to Howard on ways to help winning. Stan maximized that team, Lewis and Turk, were threats...

Shoulda traded Howard for Horford and Korver

5ass
11-13-2014, 09:58 PM
If I'm management I'm not listening to Howard on ways to help winning. Stan maximized that team, Lewis and Turk, were threats...

Shoulda traded Howard for Horford and Korver

Lol at horford and korver, the magic did much better than that.

Stan did a great job though you're right about that.

jerellh528
11-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Most nba and nfl players should never open thier mouths. They honestly usually sound really ignorant and display thier kind in a bad light. They're there for the entertainment of playing a sport and nothing else.

Teeboy1487
11-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Vuc, hark, payton, fournier and still a future first. I cant be mad at dwight. Atleast he didnt leave us with nothing like he did the lakers.
Most of them will be future Lakers anyway ;)

5ass
11-15-2014, 03:20 AM
Most of them will be future Lakers anyway ;)

Shaq and Howard both left the Lakers too...

HeatFan
11-17-2014, 06:49 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/12/dwight-howard-talks-about-his-exit-from-orlando-explains-reasons-for-asking-magic-to-fire-stan-van-gundy/

Wow!! To much talking IMO.