PDA

View Full Version : Nowitzki highest scoring player born outside the USA.

PurpleLynch
11-12-2014, 06:15 AM
Congrats to Dirk,one of the best PF of Europe and of all time :cheers:
He's 36 and he passed Olajuwon now! Do you think he could pass also Hayes and Moses Malone in that ranking?
How long will he play? 38? 40?

Thumper 88
11-12-2014, 09:33 AM
If Dirk stays healthy and avg 19 ppg he will pass shaq sometime in the 2016-2017 season which is his last year of his current contract

FlashBolt
11-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Man.. I changed my mind. This guy is probably the third best PF in NBA history.

Duncan
Barkley
Dirk
KG
Malone

And the crazy part is, he should have more than enough years left considering his play-style doesn't necessarily require him to be "young".

Hawkeye15
11-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Man.. I changed my mind. This guy is probably the third best PF in NBA history.

Duncan
Barkley
Dirk
KG
Malone

And the crazy part is, he should have more than enough years left considering his play-style doesn't necessarily require him to be "young".

I have him and KG swapped, but that is my top 5 as well

Thumper 88
11-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Didn't/doesn't Duncan play the 5 a lot were is Dirk only plays 4

FlashBolt
11-12-2014, 05:59 PM

I think people do get confused with this but Duncan is so versatile that he can pretty much interchange roles. He started out as a PF, anyways.

FlashBolt
11-12-2014, 06:02 PM

That was my list before but I had to bump KG down just because I think Dirk has revolutionized the game in terms of your typical big man. Garnett was an all-around machine as well, but we've seen a similar type of game from Hakeem in him. Plus, Dirk managed to win a championship/stay with one team throughout his career. Granted, that Mavs team had a solid roster but it was really Dirk who laid Miami to rest. Dirk has also been a more consistent player. Even now, he's putting up monstrous numbers. Can't go wrong with either and I'm a huge fan of KG.

abe_froman
11-12-2014, 06:04 PM
he's played enough 4 and 5 ,so you can have him as either/depends how you think of him.but i think most consider him pf because thats what he primarily was in his prime.

i have a hard time putting him over kg to

Thumper 88
11-12-2014, 06:07 PM
For those that have a hard time putting him over KG if Dirk wins another title or gets to the top 5 all time in scoring would you still rank him lower?

Hawkeye15
11-12-2014, 06:10 PM
That was my list before but I had to bump KG down just because I think Dirk has revolutionized the game in terms of your typical big man. Garnett was an all-around machine as well, but we've seen a similar type of game from Hakeem in him. Plus, Dirk managed to win a championship/stay with one team throughout his career. Granted, that Mavs team had a solid roster but it was really Dirk who laid Miami to rest. Dirk has also been a more consistent player. Even now, he's putting up monstrous numbers. Can't go wrong with either and I'm a huge fan of KG.

KG just had way more two way impact. The only reason he isn't easily above Dirk, and I can stomach someone making an argument, is KG didn't step up his game come playoff time, where as Dirk did. But as a day in, day out, regular season/playoff performer, KG had more impact for sure.

abe_froman
11-12-2014, 06:12 PM
For those that have a hard time putting him over KG if Dirk wins another title or gets to the top 5 all time in scoring would you still rank him lower?
rankings dont be anything,everyone knows dirk is an all time great scorer.kg is over him for being leagues ahead on defense and rebounding.....though i do give rings a good amount of weight,so another def could change it for me.

slaker619
11-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Not shocked

Bruno
11-12-2014, 07:35 PM
it'd be amazing if he passed Shaq and retired 6th.

I think Wilt might be out of reach for him at #5. 4,500 points separate him and Wilt at 5th, but he's less than 2k away from Shaq who's 6th.

I think he passes him and retires 6th.

PurpleLynch
11-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Glad for the positive response. Right now I'm having hard times ranking him,KG,Malone and even Barkley. My only certainty is Duncan at best PF of all time. The next four is really hard,it all depends on how Dirk is gonna finish his fantastic career.

Thumper 88
11-12-2014, 09:23 PM
If Dirk stays healthy and finishes out his contact he will pass Shaq.

Hawkeye15
11-12-2014, 10:05 PM
If Dirk stays healthy and finishes out his contact he will pass Shaq.

on the all time rankings? Hell no

Mr.B
11-12-2014, 10:57 PM
on the all time rankings? Hell no

I think he means Dirk will pass Shaq on the scoring list, which he will.

Hawkeye15
11-12-2014, 11:02 PM
I think he means Dirk will pass Shaq on the scoring list, which he will.

oh, ok. That makes sense, thats my B!

WVNowitzki
11-12-2014, 11:06 PM
Dirk!!!

Redrum187
11-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Dirk is the greatest European-born player to ever play the game.

I understand KG was the better 2-way player and he had better peak years (in the regular season), but career wise, Dirk has him beat due to his longevity and dominance on the offensive end. Dirk was also superior in the playoffs, posting up better post-season numbers than regular season numbers (also has FMVP). Dirk should have two rings, but the Mavericks breathing on Wade and the refs gave it to the Miami Heat.

If he continues his current level of play in the next 2-3 years, I think a dominant majority of people will change their minds and say Dirk is without a doubt ahead of KG.

YAALREADYKNO
11-13-2014, 10:51 AM
We all get that KG is more skilled than Dirk ever was, BUT when the game is on the line Dirk steps his game up. For those who say he doesn't rebound really doesn't know what they're talking about. He's one of only 4 players in NBA history to avg 25 and 10 in the playoffs. I'll take Dirk over any PF not named Duncan

YAALREADYKNO
11-13-2014, 11:58 AM

I understand KG was the better 2-way player and he had better peak years (in the regular season), but career wise, Dirk has him beat due to his longevity and dominance on the offensive end. Dirk was also superior in the playoffs, posting up better post-season numbers than regular season numbers (also has FMVP). Dirk should have two rings, but the Mavericks breathing on Wade and the refs gave it to the Miami Heat.

If he continues his current level of play in the next 2-3 years, I think a dominant majority of people will change their minds and say Dirk is without a doubt ahead of KG.

He's already better than KG IMO

Thumper 88
11-13-2014, 01:20 PM
oh, ok. That makes sense, thats my B!

I should have been a little more specific

TrueFan420
11-13-2014, 02:11 PM
We all get that KG is more skilled than Dirk ever was, BUT when the game is on the line Dirk steps his game up. For those who say he doesn't rebound really doesn't know what they're talking about. He's one of only 4 players in NBA history to avg 25 and 10 in the playoffs. I'll take Dirk over any PF not named Duncan
Um KG was never more skilled than Dirk. Dirk is one of the most skilled PF to ever play the game. KG was more complete than Dirk. KG could play both sides of the ball very well but he was not more skilled than Dirk.

Longhornfan1234
11-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Why are people so down on Malone?

Thumper 88
11-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Because he was probably before their time. Malone did have Stockton though

My favorite player was Barkley and now it's Dirk.

YAALREADYKNO
11-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Um KG was never more skilled than Dirk. Dirk is one of the most skilled PF to ever play the game. KG was more complete than Dirk. KG could play both sides of the ball very well but he was not more skilled than Dirk.

wrong word more talented is what I meant

TrueFan420
11-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Well some on said its cause he was before most of our times. Which is partially true. Also Stockton dropping dimes made it much easier as well. But the big think for me was never winning a chip (yes Jordan was the main reason for that) and he wasn't the clear cut number 1. He was the first scoring option but idk if he was really the first leader everyone turned too. Which is big, at least in my book.

TrueFan420
11-13-2014, 05:04 PM
wrong word more talented is what I meant

Fair enough

YAALREADYKNO
11-13-2014, 05:24 PM

him not winning a championship really hurts him

YAALREADYKNO
11-13-2014, 05:40 PM
(Stephen A smith voice) The Disrespect espn 1st take showed towards Dirk smh They take a whole segment to talk about Justin beiber but cant show Dirk some love and congratulate him on passing up Hakeem for becoming the 9th NBA scorer of all time.

Mr.B
11-13-2014, 06:49 PM

Head to head Dirk always outplayed KG too when the Mavs and Wolves played.

Mr.B
11-13-2014, 06:58 PM

Malone was a beast! Seriously YouTube some clips of him. He was pretty much unstoppable in the paint. He was also a great defender. Having no rings does hurt him but that's more because of Jordan and Pippen than Malone. I think the reason he doesn't get a lot of mentions is because he pretty much disappeared after he retired. We rarely see or hear from him. Dirk, KG and Duncan are still playing and Barkley is always on tv so they stay relevant. Personally I would take Dirk over Malone but that's only because I'm bias. Based on skill though I think it really should be Duncan, Malone, Dirk, and then KG on the All time PF list.

YAALREADYKNO
11-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Malone was a beast! Seriously YouTube some clips of him. He was pretty much unstoppable in the paint. He was also a great defender. Having no rings does hurt him but that's more because of Jordan and Pippen than Malone. I think the reason he doesn't get a lot of mentions is because he pretty much disappeared after he retired. We rarely see or hear from him. Dirk, KG and Duncan are still playing and Barkley is always on tv so they stay relevant. Personally I would take Dirk over Malone but that's only because I'm bias. Based on skill though I think it really should be Duncan, Malone, Dirk, and then KG on the All time PF list.

I'd go with Dirk over Malone. Come playoff time I trust Dirk more

PurpleLynch
11-13-2014, 10:25 PM

Malone is still my choice for 3rd...He was a graceful beast,very smooth and athletical. Just that ring and he would be obviously 2nd. Plus he had one of the top 5 pg of all time in his team,so his production was facilitated.

YAALREADYKNO
11-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Head to head Dirk always outplayed KG too when the Mavs and Wolves played.

yeah dude was a straight up monster that series

Thumper 88
11-14-2014, 11:45 AM
So you have Barkley #5? Dang..

Thumper 88
11-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Since Barkley was my favorite and Dirk is my favorite I'm bias.. Though I did grow up in the Malone and Barkley era.

Right now as it stands

Ducan
Barkley
Malone
Dirk
KG

I think by the time Dirk retires he very well could be #2 on my list

YAALREADYKNO
11-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Since Barkley was my favorite and Dirk is my favorite I'm bias.. Though I did grow up in the Malone and Barkley era.

Right now as it stands

Ducan
Barkley
Malone
Dirk
KG

I think by the time Dirk retires he very well could be #2 on my list

Dirk Is already #2 IMO

Thumper 88
11-14-2014, 01:00 PM
If you don't mind my asking why do you have Dirk above Barkley right now?

YAALREADYKNO
11-14-2014, 01:41 PM
If you don't mind my asking why do you have Dirk above Barkley right now?

Better playoff performer and he has a finals MVP to prove that. Dirk's ability to close out games is why I would take him over any power forward not named Duncan

Thumper 88
11-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Have you watched Malone or Barkley in the playoffs?

YAALREADYKNO
11-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Have you watched Malone or Barkley in the playoffs?

have you watched Dirk in the playoffs?

Thumper 88
11-14-2014, 03:48 PM
have you watched Dirk in the playoffs?

Lol

Ok I'll answer your question.

Yes every year. Since I'm a Mavs fan I don't miss any playoff games.

Now can you answer mine?

If not that's cool, I'm just curious if you have. It seems like you're younger so I take it you have not. Since you're also a Mavs fan that does make you bias whether you think you are or not.

YAALREADYKNO
11-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Lol

Ok I'll answer your question.

Yes every year. Since I'm a Mavs fan I don't miss any playoff games.

Now can you answer mine?

If not that's cool, I'm just curious if you have. It seems like you're younger so I take it you have not. Since you're also a Mavs fan that does make you bias whether you think you are or not.

I didn't see barkley or Malone play in their primes but I have seen old clips and some of their games on nba tv etc and have seen them play towards the end of their careers but even though I'm a mavs fan I'm not bias though. Before Dirk won a championship I've always rated him behind those guys but now that he's won a ring in the way he did by just simply putting on a "Jordan like" playoff run in 2011 I don't see how you cant put him above those guys. Even before he won a ring Dirk has constantly led his mavs teams into the playoffs with 50+ wins with guys like diop and dampier as his centers. I know its only one ring but one ring beats 0 rings and when you have great players that are close in greatness you tend to lean towards the guy who got it done as the man on his team.

Thumper 88
11-14-2014, 05:03 PM
As much as I love Dirk he did not put on a Jordan like performance. Yes he was sick in a game and tore a ligament in his middle finger. He did lead the Mavs to victory. But if you look at the stats compared to Jordan it just isn't there. Plus Jordan did it 6 times.

Also Dirk didn't get aggressive and start taking games over until a later in his career.

YAALREADYKNO
11-14-2014, 05:11 PM
As much as I love Dirk he did not put on a Jordan like performance. Yes he was sick in a game and tore a ligament in his middle finger. He did lead the Mavs to victory. But if you look at the stats compared to Jordan it just isn't there. Plus Jordan did it 6 times.

Also Dirk didn't get aggressive and start taking games over until a later in his career.

I was talking about the playoffs as a whole. Since 05 he's been taking over games once nash left to go to phoenix and he was the clear best player on those mavs team

Thumper 88
11-14-2014, 05:21 PM
I didn't see barkley or Malone play in their primes but I have seen old clips and some of their games on nba tv etc and have seen them play towards the end of their careers but even though I'm a mavs fan I'm not bias though. Before Dirk won a championship I've always rated him behind those guys but now that he's won a ring in the way he did by just simply putting on a "Jordan like" playoff run in 2011 I don't see how you cant put him above those guys. Even before he won a ring Dirk has constantly led his mavs teams into the playoffs with 50+ wins with guys like diop and dampier as his centers. I know its only one ring but one ring beats 0 rings and when you have great players that are close in greatness you tend to lean towards the guy who got it done as the man on his team.

I was talking about the playoffs as a whole. Since 05 he's been taking over games once nash left to go to phoenix and he was the clear best player on those mavs team

Ok because you said 2011.. But still it's not fair to Dirk to compare him to Jordan. Jordan was simply on another level

YAALREADYKNO
11-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Ok because you said 2011.. But still it's not fair to Dirk to compare him to Jordan. Jordan was simply on another level

Never compared him to Jordan. All I said was his 2011 playoff performance was something similar to something Jordan would do. He would hit shot after shot and come through in the clutch moments. The only power forward who's had a better career than Dirk is Tim Duncan. People will knock Dirk for not rebounding but the man averages 25 & 10 in the playoffs. He steps his game up when it matters most, that's why I would take him over Malone, Barkley, and Garnett

kobe4thewinbang
11-14-2014, 10:09 PM
My rankings, though I haven't watched some older players (Bird, Malone, etc.):

Duncan
Dirk
KG

YAALREADYKNO
11-17-2014, 10:41 AM
My rankings, though I haven't watched some older players (Bird, Malone, etc.):

Duncan
Dirk
KG

agree with the first two

Chrisclover
11-17-2014, 11:26 AM
It may sounds silly but I would love to see a team made up of veterans, led by Dirk, Kobe, KG, Carter and so on.
Dirk is fun to watch but my man Kobe said Dirk's fadeaway is weird and exaggerating. lol

Jeffy25
11-17-2014, 11:54 AM
I think Milwaukee would like this trade back

YAALREADYKNO
11-17-2014, 12:11 PM
It may sounds silly but I would love to see a team made up of veterans, led by Dirk, Kobe, KG, Carter and so on.
Dirk is fun to watch but my man Kobe said Dirk's fadeaway is weird and exaggerating. lol

yeah he said his looked pretty and Dirk's looked ugly lol

Thumper 88
11-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Another thing about Malone is he scored over 36k points in just 18 seasons.. Dirk in his 17th season just hit 27k

Mr.B
11-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Another thing about Malone is he scored over 36k points in just 18 seasons.. Dirk in his 17th season just hit 27k

Seriously Malone was a beast! And until the 5 or 6 years Maline was still arguably the best PF to ever play the game. Duncan clearly has that title now but for a while there it wasn't even close that Malone was the best.

AnthonyTyrael2
11-17-2014, 10:27 PM

Maybe because he was the clear number one option since day one while the other guy wasn't and while Dirk, funny or not never forced to have 20+ shots each and every game like other all time greats? Or because he never got seriously injured until his last year with the Lakers which forced him to miss games, or how many lockouts did he face? Sure Malone was the superior scorer (and not only that) but those two guys couldn't be more different.

It's funny because Kareem just called him a volume shooter these days, talking about Dirk's accomplishments in comparison to guys like Bird. Narrow minded, isn't it?

However, this dude just hit 27,000 more NBA points than we all guys together. Not bad from where he's coming from and this is just one dimension of his game and the achievements he made so far. The chance of him getting anywhere near that was lower then low. Perhaps the lowest in the history of that game. Most ppl seem to simply overlook that.

Thumper 88
11-17-2014, 11:01 PM
Seriously Malone was a beast! And until the 5 or 6 years Maline was still arguably the best PF to ever play the game. Duncan clearly has that title now but for a while there it wasn't even close that Malone was the best.

Before ducan it was the Malone or Barkley debate now it's the Dirk or kg debate to be #2

Thumper 88
11-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Maybe because he was the clear number one option since day one while the other guy wasn't and while Dirk, funny or not never forced to have 20+ shots each and every game like other all time greats? Or because he never got seriously injured until his last year with the Lakers which forced him to miss games, or how many lockouts did he face? Sure Malone was the superior scorer (and not only that) but those two guys couldn't be more different.

It's funny because Kareem just called him a volume shooter these days, talking about Dirk's accomplishments in comparison to guys like Bird. Narrow minded, isn't it?

However, this dude just hit 27,000 more NBA points than we all guys together. Not bad from where he's coming from and this is just one dimension of his game and the achievements he made so far. The chance of him getting anywhere near that was lower then low. Perhaps the lowest in the history of that game. Most ppl seem to simply overlook that.

I love Dirk he's my favorite player. What Dirk has done is amazing and he always been underrated. In this league of stars Dirk lead a team of no stars but himself to a championship

Chrisclover
11-17-2014, 11:21 PM
yeah he said his looked pretty and Dirk's looked ugly lol
My friend told me that Dirk fades away like kicking the defender's knees. lol. Thats what it looks like when the fadeaway is from a big man.

Jeffy25
11-18-2014, 01:47 AM
I love Dirk he's my favorite player. What Dirk has done is amazing and he always been underrated. In this league of stars Dirk lead a team of no stars but himself to a championship

Tyson Chandler, Shawn Marion, and Jason Terry were all very good players that year.

He certainly had his help

Chrisclover
11-18-2014, 02:03 AM
Tyson Chandler, Shawn Marion, and Jason Terry were all very good players that year.

Balanced talents who did their own jobs rather than stacked stars without chemistry.

Thumper 88
11-18-2014, 09:33 AM

Lol well obviously he had help.. Who can do it by themselves?

I can't tell if you're arguing with me or not... Are you saying they are stars?

When is the last time a team won with only one star? The pistons in 04?

Jeffy25
11-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Lol well obviously he had help.. Who can do it by themselves?

I can't tell if you're arguing with me or not... Are you saying they are stars?

When is the last time a team won with only one star? The pistons in 04?

It depends where you draw the line for a star, Tyson Chandler was probably a top 30 player that season.

Agreed on everything though

YAALREADYKNO
11-18-2014, 09:51 AM
My friend told me that Dirk fades away like kicking the defender's knees. lol. Thats what it looks like when the fadeaway is from a big man.

its effective tho lol do what ever works for you

YAALREADYKNO
11-18-2014, 10:01 AM

another thing about Dirk, he's been to two finals as much as Malone and actually won a championship being the main guy.

Thumper 88
11-18-2014, 10:43 AM
It depends where you draw the line for a star, Tyson Chandler was probably a top 30 player that season.

That's a good question.. I would probably say if you make it to the all star game but then idk about that... It's really debatable and a great question.

Thumper 88
11-18-2014, 10:44 AM
another thing about Dirk, he's been to two finals as much as Malone and actually won a championship being the main guy.

I'm not sure a team of stars could have beat the Jordan and the bulls back then. It almost isn't fair lol

Jeffy25
11-18-2014, 10:45 AM

That doesn't really say a lot with partial seasons....

12,000 less minutes in dirk's career

Chrisclover
11-18-2014, 10:51 AM

Top 30? There are 30 teams so he would have been the best if he had been in the 30th team. I dont think he was that good. Maybe top50?

Jeffy25
11-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Top 30? There are 30 teams so he would have been the best if he had been in the 30th team. I dont think he was that good. Maybe top50?

Teams tend to have multiple stars on individual teams

Jeffy25
11-18-2014, 11:02 AM

That year, he was 21st in WS and 45th in PER

He was probably in that range

Jeffy25
11-18-2014, 11:11 AM

That year, he was 21st in WS and 45th in PER

He was probably in that range

Thumper 88
11-18-2014, 11:50 AM
That doesn't really say a lot with partial seasons....

12,000 less minutes in dirk's career

Dirk would have to average somewhere around .75 points per minute of play to just tie that mark. I really hope Dirk does just that and more but I'm not expecting it.

YAALREADYKNO
11-18-2014, 12:09 PM
would yall rather have Malone or KG?

Thumper 88
11-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Malone

YAALREADYKNO
11-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Malone

maybe

AnthonyTyrael2
11-18-2014, 03:43 PM
maybe

On paper,based on stats only Malone. In reality KG, who left his comfort zone and did work/contribute the same in other places, system and different coaches. Something Malone couldn‘t show. How'd he worked in a team without Stockton and endless pick and rolls...and all these free throws and whistles he got, even during the latter days...no one knows. Also,if guys talked about steroids in relation to LeBron, don't forget to mention all these late 80ties, early 90ties athletes as well. To be muscular is one thing, being a raging bull look a like, like many used to be back then, is another.

YAALREADYKNO
11-19-2014, 10:14 AM
On paper,based on stats only Malone. In reality KG, who left his comfort zone and did work/contribute the same in other places, system and different coaches. Something Malone couldn‘t show. How'd he worked in a team without Stockton and endless pick and rolls...and all these free throws and whistles he got, even during the latter days...no one knows. Also,if guys talked about steroids in relation to LeBron, don't forget to mention all these late 80ties, early 90ties athletes as well. To be muscular is one thing, being a raging bull look a like, like many used to be back then, is another.

so Im guessing you would take barkley over Malone as well?

AnthonyTyrael2
11-19-2014, 11:50 AM
I have no rankings and don't care much about them anyways. Never thought seriously about positioning any player in any rankings yet but Barkley was a hell of a player too, especially being undersized. The typically barking dog from the neighborhood and in this case, dangerous and not barking out loud only but to answer your question, I'd take the Mailman over him. Never been a huge fan of Barkley's shot nor of his post game in larger amounts, especailly when back to the basket. His signature move. Lol. Effective, sure but dude, shot clock only has 24 seconds :D

What I was going to say, I guess I'd take Moses Malone in consideration too, though he's played Center most of his career. Dude was "skinny" (compared to those surrounding him on his position in these old days), almost like KG but he had force and dominance no one would expect. Not like Shaq, Wilt or Dawkins but man... I enjoyed watching him back then. However...Center.

The thing with rankings is, you need longevity, you need to break all-time-great-records, you need to win championships, you need competition throughout your career and you got to stay healthy first of all. Ask Oden, Sampsons, the Celtics with their tragedy and all others who couldn't have the impact they were supposed to have. Possibly many could have been better than those we're talking about, but never could show it/live up to it.

Timmy is ahead of everybody, even with his low scoring averages. He's just the best mix of all of them. Behind him... there it's close as you guys have already mentioned.

We're leaving the groung on this topic more and more. Should get back on track.

Dirk's number one scorer on international players and one of the greatest PFs ever, with his flaws and his ground shacking things he added to that position, especially his outstanding shooting all over the place for a 7 footer. Above all of that he never went to high shcool or college in the States. Who are the other all time greats next to him that also didn't go?

Hakeem is by far margin the best foreign born player overall (however he was in college and became a U.S. citizen later), leaving guys from the U.S. Virgin Island out... yeah. Guess, I'm fine with all of that.

gatkins11
11-19-2014, 07:03 PM
I think Milwaukee would like this trade back

If Milwaukee hadn't agreed to it Dallas would have just taken Dirk at 6th overall.