PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me what's wrong with the Clippers?

Longhornfan1234
11-11-2014, 10:49 AM
In my opinion...they're most deep team in the NBA. They shouldn't be struggling like this.

YAALREADYKNO
11-11-2014, 10:59 AM
its still early in the season so I wouldn't worry too much. I think they have too much talent on that team to not win games

goingfor28
11-11-2014, 11:01 AM
its still early in the season so I wouldn't worry too much. I think they have too much talent on that team to not win games
This. And they need a legit 3 who can shoot and play defense

kdspurman
11-11-2014, 11:16 AM
This. And they need a legit 3 who can shoot and play defense

Something seems different about them though. Maybe cause they play more "serious" than in previous years? I can't put my finger on it, i'm not sure if you notice it or not. They don't seem to be having as much fun out there like we're used to seeing

goingfor28
11-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Something seems different about them though. Maybe cause they play more "serious" than in previous years? I can't put my finger on it, i'm not sure if you notice it or not. They don't seem to be having as much fun out there like we're used to seeing
Oh I agree they definitely don't look like the same team as the past couple years. Not the same intensity and they look sloppy. It's still only 2 weeks into the season so I don't see it as time to push the panic button, but w how deep the west is they need to get their **** together soon. I figured w OKCs injuries they were a lock along w SAS to be a top 2 seed, doesn't look that way so far though.

Vampirate
11-11-2014, 11:26 AM
My guess is they are just coasting.

Dade County
11-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Thanks for starting this thread, because I was planning too.

The Clips don't no how to win...

There is a formally that fits every team, depending on their personnel.

Cp3 is and was supposed to figure out that formally along time ago. I'm washing the game, and this guy is taking hero ball shots.

They have been together long enough, Doc should have figured this **** out already.

astonmartin10
11-11-2014, 11:33 AM
They will pick up the intensity. I thought with the KD injuriy they would be battling for first also.

Vampirate
11-11-2014, 11:35 AM

Cp3 is and was supposed to figure out that formally along time ago. I'm washing the game, and this guy is taking hero ball shots.

They have been together long enough, Doc should have figured this **** out already.

Overreaction, look at San Antonio.

kdspurman
11-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Oh I agree they definitely don't look like the same team as the past couple years. Not the same intensity and they look sloppy. It's still only 2 weeks into the season so I don't see it as time to push the panic button, but w how deep the west is they need to get their **** together soon. I figured w OKCs injuries they were a lock along w SAS to be a top 2 seed, doesn't look that way so far though.

Yea i mean i still think they're a top 3-4 seed. It's just something seems a bit different about them. I feel like they should go back to playing fast and do what they do best which is make teams work hard on both ends.

Definitely not a cause for concern being it's so early. I just think it's weird to see how they used to play vs how they are now.

beasted86
11-11-2014, 11:46 AM

What are you saying? I mean that literally.

YAALREADYKNO
11-11-2014, 11:52 AM
maybe they're at that point where the regular season doesn't really matter anymore and they're just waiting for the playoffs? I think they'll do just enough to get a top 4 seed in the west and step it up when the playoffs come around

Miltstar
11-11-2014, 12:02 PM

I really hope you sent this from your phone and it auto-corrected some of those!

Chronz
11-11-2014, 12:34 PM
There is zero sense of urgency and Doc has been putrid as our GM.

The bench has gotten thinner with every passing year, without us ever finding a starting caliber SF in the process. It really hurts that Hawes has turned into Byron Mullens 2.0(choosing him over Pierce is looking bad right now). Reddick isn't getting any separation when we run him off any pindown action, CP3 has no confidence in his jumper and Blake has too much confidence in his. I expected CP3 to decline for a few years now but I was hopeful that Blake+DJ would develop enough to offset that. That hasn't been the case, Blake has never played worse but hey, now that he has a jumper I guess that should turn around soon.

Our offense has been ELITE over the CP3 era and if its merely average, then we have to rely on defense to win. Only problem is we've badly regressed on that end. We used to be a bad defensive rebounding team that could force a ton of misses, now we're rebounding the ball on defense but we aren't forcing as many misses, better rebounding + worse defense is always a bad tradeoff. That said, it looks bad when CP3 is boarding at a higher level than our PF.

Overall, I am very concerned, but we've seen cores that have been together for so long begin to pace themselves for the regular season, and if those teams aren't deep (Newsflash people, Clips havent been deep since the Del Negro days) then they will slip in terms of regular season wins, its why I said Im just hoping to make the playoffs where I know this veteran crew can muster up the focus necessary to beat anyone. But again, lol at the people who think we're among the deepest teams in the league. Man you guys are lost.

torocan
11-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Overreaction, look at San Antonio.

I wouldn't compare them to the Spurs. The Spurs have a long track record of making the play offs and always getting their act together by late season. The Spurs are as reliable as a team as any in professional sports.

The Clippers? Not so much.

That doesn't mean that it's not overreaction given that it's very early in the season, however until the Clippers build more of a track record there's always going to be that little voice in the back of your head asking whether the players on the floor are going to get it worked out, or are going to fold like a cheap house of cards. That won't change until the Clippers show us that they can at least get to a Conference Final.

As for Doc, a coach can only do so much. Coaches in most every sport will say the same thing, you can show them how to do things but ultimately the athletes are the one that need to take the last steps to becoming winners.

It reminds me of MMA athletes. You sometimes see guys that come from the best camps, with the best coaches and training partners, but once the cage doors close some people have bigger hearts than others, and some athletes just want the win more than others.

It's too early to say, but I think this is a make or break year for the Clippers. Their team is loaded, they have a top flight coach, they're the best basketball team in Los Angeles, and now they're out from being under the Ownership cloud of the Sterling years.

If they can't make some real progress this year, then the players have nobody to blame but themselves.

We'll have a much better idea by the All Star break.

Tony_Starks
11-11-2014, 01:24 PM
The Paper Clipps will be fine. The most alarming part is the defense, especially for a team coached by Doc. They have assets, I would bet money they trade for a 2 way small forward pretty soon. Matt Barnes is the weakest link so far...

Vampirate
11-11-2014, 01:28 PM

The bench has gotten thinner with every passing year, without us ever finding a starting caliber SF in the process. It really hurts that Hawes has turned into Byron Mullens 2.0(choosing him over Pierce is looking bad right now). Reddick isn't getting any separation when we run him off any pindown action, CP3 has no confidence in his jumper and Blake has too much confidence in his. I expected CP3 to decline for a few years now but I was hopeful that Blake+DJ would develop enough to offset that. That hasn't been the case, Blake has never played worse but hey, now that he has a jumper I guess that should turn around soon.

Our offense has been ELITE over the CP3 era and if its merely average, then we have to rely on defense to win. Only problem is we've badly regressed on that end. We used to be a bad defensive rebounding team that could force a ton of misses, now we're rebounding the ball on defense but we aren't forcing as many misses, better rebounding + worse defense is always a bad tradeoff. That said, it looks bad when CP3 is boarding at a higher level than our PF.

Overall, I am very concerned, but we've seen cores that have been together for so long begin to pace themselves for the regular season, and if those teams aren't deep (Newsflash people, Clips havent been deep since the Del Negro days) then they will slip in terms of regular season wins, its why I said Im just hoping to make the playoffs where I know this veteran crew can muster up the focus necessary to beat anyone. But again, lol at the people who think we're among the deepest teams in the league. Man you guys are lost.

This is what I call holding your team to a higher standard.

Vinylman
11-11-2014, 04:15 PM
As I said in the Doc extension thread... he will be long gone before his contract is up

Probably one of the most overrated HC's in the history of the league...

and as far as a GM... good luck clippers

P&GRealist
11-11-2014, 04:29 PM

They'll win games. They've been doing so the last 3 yrs. whether it be with VDN or Doc.

It's just that they won't ever win a championship.

P&GRealist
11-11-2014, 04:38 PM
I wonder how many more seasons before they start thinking of the CP3-Blake breakup.

Chronz
11-11-2014, 05:42 PM
They'll win games. They've been doing so the last 3 yrs. whether it be with VDN or Doc.

It's just that they won't ever win a championship.
What are tomorrows lotto numbers Ms.Cleo ?

Seriously tho, do you remember which one of you Laker fans kept saying "The Spurs need to PROVE ME WRONG" or something to that effect? Im sure there were plenty of you guys but there was this one specific poster who kept insisting there was something inherently wrong with their approach/system.

Surely you know who Im talking about. It wasn't you, was it?

I wonder how many more seasons before they start thinking of the CP3-Blake breakup.
Maybe when that becomes the pressing issue. Teams always look to upgrade.

nastynice
11-11-2014, 05:42 PM
They're definitely a dissappointment. They should be doing much better than this, Blake should be taking over games at this point. I don't know what happened since last year, but he's past the stage of being a "pleasant surprise". He made a serious argument for being the 3rd best player in the league last year, and he needs to put his foot on the gas and claim that spot, unquestionably.

Yea, something is up. It's like they're not playing wide open the way they used to, they used to just be up and down the court in a flash, now its just all slowed down or something. Over thinking maybe, I don't know. They're definitely just off, and don't show the same characteristics that they've had the past few years.

I still love them on paper, love the depth, love the top end talent of 2 elite players... I don't know, somehow its just unraveling. Major regression.

TheNumber37
11-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Iggy and Bogut
For
DJ, matt Barnes and bullock

nastynice
11-11-2014, 05:45 PM

WAY too early to even think of that. They would be insane to break that up, rather than building around them.

ewing
11-11-2014, 05:46 PM
i blame Redick

P&GRealist
11-11-2014, 06:00 PM
What are tomorrows lotto numbers Ms.Cleo ?

Seriously tho, do you remember which one of you Laker fans kept saying "The Spurs need to PROVE ME WRONG" or something to that effect? Im sure there were plenty of you guys but there was this one specific poster who kept insisting there was something inherently wrong with their approach/system.

Surely you know who Im talking about. It wasn't you, was it?

Maybe when that becomes the pressing issue. Teams always look to upgrade.

kdspurman already knows why I kept saying that. We have a mutual understanding and respect for one another. We don't need YOU to intervene in that matter.

The Clippers aren't anyone to "prove me wrong". They gotta learn to prove it to themselves and their delusional fanbase, which includes you.

Lob City can only go so far. The J-Crawford crossovers, the 4 point plays, the happy go lucky 3 pt shooting, and DJ monster jam and roars, the fake tough guy act by Barnes. It looks nice and all, wonderful for the kids to come to on a Sunday 12:30 afternoon start at Staples, but it just hasn't translated to anything of real significance in the postseason.

The Ralph Lawler "BIIIINNNNNGGGGGOOOOO" and "Oh me oh my!" and "First to 100, it's the law!!!!", and the homeristic obvious clichés of the great articulate Mike Smith :rolleyes:

All buildup, no finish.

Chronz
11-11-2014, 06:58 PM
kdspurman already knows why I kept saying that. We have a mutual understanding and respect for one another. We don't need YOU to intervene in that matter.

Wait what? So it WAS you? LMFAO, I had thought so. I dont see what kdspursman has to do with something you were arguing to more than just 1 person. The poster Im remembering had the gall to think the Spurs werent legitimate contenders based on the asinine conclusion that coming the closest anyone has ever come without winning a title is somehow a harbinger of doom.

The Clippers aren't anyone to "prove me wrong". They gotta learn to prove it to themselves and their delusional fanbase, which includes you.
You have it all wrong, the Clips are whatever they perform to be, YOU are no one to have to be proven wrong. Since you admitted it, we've already seen a contender win it all with you not thinking they had a chance. And the reasoning behind it was dense enough for me not to care about any future projections from you.

Delusional? LMFAO, based on what? Show me when I have ever been so deluded that I actually thought the SPURS had to prove me wrong.

Lob City can only go so far. The J-Crawford crossovers, the 4 point plays, the happy go lucky 3 pt shooting, and DJ monster jam and roars, the fake tough guy act by Barnes. It looks nice and all, wonderful for the kids to come to on a Sunday 12:30 afternoon start at Staples, but it just hasn't translated to anything of real significance in the postseason.
Dont know what you are trying to get at here. Only 1 team wins it all, there are a handful of teams capable every year, Clips have proven to be among those teams based on their performance. If you couldn't even see a team as dominant as the Spurs being one of those contenders, why would ANYONE care about your projections?

The Ralph Lawler "BIIIINNNNNGGGGGOOOOO" and "Oh me oh my!" and "First to 100, it's the law!!!!", and the homeristic obvious clichés of the great articulate Mike Smith :rolleyes:

All buildup, no finish.

Is that suppose to be an insult? LMFAO.

WVNowitzki
11-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Too worried about how to flop and get away with it rather than playing real, team oriented, selfless basketball.

TrueFan420
11-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Iggy and Bogut
For
DJ, matt Barnes and bullock

Ha what in the world makes you think the Warriors would touch that offer?

Knick_Fever
11-11-2014, 07:32 PM
In my opinion...they're most deep team in the NBA. They shouldn't be struggling like this.

They'll win 50+ games again, but get bounced in the 2nd round of playoffs again. They have a great point guard but the team doesn't do well moving the ball, that is why they repeatedly get out-played down the stretch in tight games. Once CP3 is doubled and forced to pass, they're in a world of hurt. They rely way too much on him to dictate the flow of the game, and to make plays. Jamal Crawford can provide some relief as a ball handler, but many times the result is not a tough shot. They lack a two-way 2-guard and small forward.

TrueFan420
11-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Yea, something is up. It's like they're not playing wide open the way they used to, they used to just be up and down the court in a flash, now its just all slowed down or something. Over thinking maybe, I don't know. They're definitely just off, and don't show the same characteristics that they've had the past few years.

I still love them on paper, love the depth, love the top end talent of 2 elite players... I don't know, somehow its just unraveling. Major regression.

The loss of Gentry might be hindering their offense more than anyone realizes. I've always been a proponent of Doc being overrated. He hadn't done much with the celtics till ray, pierce and KG teamed up and then all of a sudden was considered a great coach.

As for gentry, he may never make a great HC but he's a great assistant and looks like he's played a big role in the Warriors offense. Kerr and the players have all given him some form of credit for their offense (albeit they need to cut down on the turnovers).

Jeffy25
11-11-2014, 08:17 PM
7 games into the season, and if it ended today, they would be in the playoffs

It's 7 games!

benzni
11-11-2014, 08:30 PM
They are 4-3. Sound the alarms!

blahblahyoutoo
11-11-2014, 08:56 PM
doc rivers, most overrated coach in the league since phil jackson.

Chronz
11-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Ive seen a few of these already. Whats wrong with his coaching?

Its his GM abilities that suck

east fb knicks
11-11-2014, 08:59 PM

don't forget eric spoelstra:D

TrueFan420
11-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Ive seen a few of these already. Whats wrong with his coaching?

Its his GM abilities that suck

It's not that he's horrble just mediocre. He was whatever until KG and Ray teamed up with Peirce then all of a sudden he's considered top tier. I think more of that had to do with the players than his actual coaching ability. Yes every great coach has great players but I just come away un impressed by him.

Chronz
11-12-2014, 12:40 AM
It's not that he's horrble just mediocre. He was whatever until KG and Ray teamed up with Peirce then all of a sudden he's considered top tier. I think more of that had to do with the players than his actual coaching ability. Yes every great coach has great players but I just come away un impressed by him.

I'm not getting where you got the idea that He became a good coach overnight, pretty sure he was a legitimate coach of the year long before ever reaching Boston. Ive loved what he's done for the players here and in Orlando

SF8
11-12-2014, 12:50 AM
They lost their offensive coordinator Alvin Gentry.

P&GRealist
11-12-2014, 01:56 AM
Remember when Doc got coach of the yr for 1999-00, led the Magic to a 41-41 record, and NO PLAYOFFS in the East?

Overrated from day #1.

TrueFan420
11-12-2014, 03:15 AM
I'm not getting where you got the idea that He became a good coach overnight, pretty sure he was a legitimate coach of the year long before ever reaching Boston. Ive loved what he's done for the players here and in Orlando

Media hype can apply to coaches as well as players. He fits the bill. That coach of the year award doesn't mean much. And while he was ok with Orlando he wasn't exactly magnificent. Tmac was the driving force and it was unfortunate for the team that Hill was hurt the whole time. But Doc got fired for a reason. And it wasn't because he overachieved. Then Boston, he was just mediocre till the big 3. Now the clippers. his team had top end talent and underachieved with them and is continuing to do so.

TrueFan420
11-12-2014, 03:16 AM
They lost their offensive coordinator Alvin Gentry.

I do believe that's the driving force behind their struggles so far. Anyone know if they replaced him with another great assistant or just took the loss.

SF8
11-12-2014, 04:28 AM
I do believe that's the driving force behind their struggles so far. Anyone know if they replaced him with another great assistant or just took the loss.

Dumbest move to let him go. They should have overpaid him and made him the highest paid assistant in the league to keep him from going to their hated rival Warriors.

Chrisclover
11-12-2014, 05:35 AM
They played so well last season but can't continue it probably due to the change of ownership, which left them not knowing what to do for months when Sterling was being shameless. It was after Balmer finally got the victory that they started to get back on track.
Give them time to adjust. So long as they can make it to the playoffs,which is no doubt, everything will start again.

PurpleLynch
11-12-2014, 06:42 AM
It's still to early,they will be fine. I think they just have to add a small forward this year to give them a better scoring option...what's left in the market? I'd throw a small contract to Quincy Miller:he's not great,but he's young and athletic,he's a good rebounder and with the best floor general in the Nba he should raise his stats. Not much choice left,but why not? Next season a lot of good sfs will be FA,they could target the final piece if they can't reach the Finals even this year.

sep11ie
11-12-2014, 09:31 AM

So, at what grade did you drop out of school?

Chronz
11-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Remember when Doc got coach of the yr for 1999-00, led the Magic to a 41-41 record, and NO PLAYOFFS in the East?

Overrated from day #1.

Is that suppose to pass for an argument or just more mindless banter?

You don't seriously believe a blind glance at their records tell us the quality of their job.

I remember when Sloan should have won it with a similar record.

Some people felt what Phil did in the down trodden laker seasons were among his finest campaigns.

The East wasn't that weak back then, at least that's what your stats tell me

Chronz
11-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Media hype can apply to coaches as well as players. He fits the bill. That coach of the year award doesn't mean much. And while he was ok with Orlando he wasn't exactly magnificent. Tmac was the driving force and it was unfortunate for the team that Hill was hurt the whole time. But Doc got fired for a reason. And it wasn't because he overachieved. Then Boston, he was just mediocre till the big 3. Now the clippers. his team had top end talent and underachieved with them and is continuing to do so.
Hate to break the news but he won the award BEFORE Tmac ever showed up.

Guess we'll just disagree because I'm not really getting your argument. His coy award and reputation among players means more to me than unsubstantiated claims about the team under achieving . He was absolutely magnificent in Orlando. Him getting fired isn't legit criticism to me, i remember when Phil was let go, there's usually politics at play.

TrueFan420
11-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Dumbest move to let him go. They should have overpaid him and made him the highest paid assistant in the league to keep him from going to their hated rival Warriors.

The Warriors offered him an extremely good contract to top it would have hard to do. As well as Gentry and Kerr being friends. When Kerr was with the Suns he hired Gentry to be his HC.

TrueFan420
11-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Hate to break the news but he won the award BEFORE Tmac ever showed up.

Guess we'll just disagree because I'm not really getting your argument. His coy award and reputation among players means more to me than unsubstantiated claims about the team under achieving . He was absolutely magnificent in Orlando. Him getting fired isn't legit criticism to me, i remember when Phil was let go, there's usually politics at play.

I know he did and maybe I should have been clearer but I was getting at Tmac being the driving force behind Orlando making the playoffs. He put up absurd numbers for them. I'm glad he's got his players to like him but so did Mark Jackson and he's overrated as well. My point is hes a solid coach but is not as good as advertised.

Chronz
11-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Rivers had bums who all wanted fat new contracts in his COY campaign.

He's definitely a good borderline great coach. He's just dumb with evaluating talent.

Chronz
11-12-2014, 01:30 PM
I know he did and maybe I should have been clearer but I was getting at Tmac being the driving force behind Orlando making the playoffs. He put up absurd numbers for them. I'm glad he's got his players to like him but so did Mark Jackson and he's overrated as well. My point is hes a solid coach but is not as good as advertised.
Jackson alienated members of his bench, and some of the suits up stairs. There was plenty of evidence that he held GS back and he mostly connected with his religious background. Doc gets players to swear by him, knows how to utilize his assistants. Actually evolves as a coach.

I definitely don't like that comparison

TrueFan420
11-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Jackson alienated members of his bench, and some of the suits up stairs. There was plenty of evidence that he held GS back and he mostly connected with his religious background. Doc gets players to swear by him, knows how to utilize his assistants. Actually evolves as a coach.

I definitely don't like that comparison

It was only that they were player coachs.

albertajaysfan
11-12-2014, 03:30 PM
It is early but they haven't seemed very engaged at all this year. I don't think it is too early to be concerned but it is too early for anything more then that.

Vinylman
11-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Chronz is gonna stick up for Doc to the bitter end...

He just isn't great... is he an above average coach... ok

Thib's / Ainge were the reasons the Celtics won in 2008... the defense and the late season acquisitions is what made that team unbeatable

I'll say it again... Doc will be LONG gone before his contract is up

FlashBolt
11-12-2014, 05:26 PM
They'll figure it out. Blake started out strong but has looked incredibly awful these past few games. This may finally be the season CP3 gives up his throne to Stephen Curry. He's looked pretty bad as well. This team didn't get much better even with Hawes. I haven't gotten to watch Clippers play at all but from what I know, they aren't connecting like they were last year.

Cracka2HI!
11-13-2014, 06:29 AM

This. What most people have completely missed with all the glitz and Ballmer love is that fact the team hasn't gotten better, where others have. The Clippers roster has gotten a little worse every year since Doc took over. Trading Bledsoe for Reddick was a crippling blunder if you want win a Championship. I agree 100% about Hawes over Pierce. Hopefully Hawes pans out and we are wrong but the fact is the Clippers don't appear to have a Championship caliber roster. I think they will be a 3-6 seed and hope they turn it on and make noise in the playoffs. A trade a for a 3 that can do something would do wonders. There is just nothing left to trade after the ridiculous Dudley plus a 1st for nothing trade. That kind of package can snag you starting 3 at the deadline.

After reading the thread have to add that I am only talking about Doc the GM. I think Doc is a great coach.

ManningToTyree
11-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Where's clipperfan been?