PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson pissed at Adam Silver's Comments over the Triangle Offense

P&GRealist
11-10-2014, 11:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/11855642/phil-jackson-takes-umbrage-adam-silver-thoughts-new-york-knicks-triangle-offense

Adam Silver: "I watched the Knicks' game last night," Silver said with a laugh. "Clearly, they're still learning the triangle. I still don't understand it. But they're learning it. But that's what the game is all about. You have a new coach; you have a new president of basketball operations in Phil Jackson; you have a couple new players on the team."

Phil Jackson's response: "I wasn't so humored by the commissioner actually jumping in on top of that, too," he said. "He doesn't need to get in on that. There's enough focus on [the] triangle. It's not anything. It's a system. It's simple basketball. Just play the game. We're over the triangle; let's get to business and play the right way."

Leftcoast_yg
11-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Lol Nice!

lamzoka
11-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Commish is a lawyer not a basketball expert

Ariza's Better
11-11-2014, 12:20 AM
What????? All he said was that the Knicks a learning the system. Such a weird response to a nothing statement.

Cal827
11-11-2014, 12:24 AM
I'm more and more convinced that Phil Jackson gets off on pictures of himself in fitted suits.

Cause that response makes as much sense as his to Adam Silver.

DoMeFavors
11-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Sounds like Phil is starting to get annoyed with the losing

Mr_Jones
11-11-2014, 01:04 AM
i'd take deron williams over anyone. I know that.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-11-2014, 01:25 AM
lol he mad

DarkKnight
11-11-2014, 01:31 AM
Sounds like Phil is starting to get annoyed with the losing

This is probably one of the dumbest things I've read in a bit. So you're saying Phil is annoyed that his team, that he really has no aspersions for this season is annoyed? :laugh:

DoMeFavors
11-11-2014, 01:33 AM
This is probably one of the dumbest things I've read in a bit. So you're saying Phil is annoyed that his team, that he really has no aspersions for this season is annoyed? :laugh:

He answered in a manner in which it seems like he is getting stressed. His trades so far this summer have turned out horribly and he said goal is to make the playoffs. I don't know why you think its dumb for me to say that.

DarkKnight
11-11-2014, 01:35 AM
The guys sig says Deron is a legend :laugh2: what did I miss ? ****ing guy blows

DoMeFavors
11-11-2014, 01:35 AM
i'd take deron williams over anyone. I know that.

EC player of the week, HE'S BACK

DarkKnight
11-11-2014, 01:36 AM
Troll harder its a long season Derons nut hugger

DoMeFavors
11-11-2014, 01:39 AM
Troll harder its a long season Derons nut hugger

Averaging 20 and 7 on a WINNING team, I don't know why you cant give him proper respect he was yearly ranked a top 10 player in league before injuries and now he is healed. Witness yourself.

JEDean89
11-11-2014, 01:52 AM
JC hasn't played yet for the Knicks. Hard to gauge the chandler trade until he does. this team has serious problems but Phish and Melo knew that making the playoffs was the goal for this season not winning a chip. Really this season is about Melo, THJ, JR, JC, and Shumps learning the triangle and seeing if anyone else is worth adding to the core from this group. If CleAnthony, Wear and Smith work out, it will be a succesful season.

FriedTofuz
11-11-2014, 03:55 AM
Im going to have to agree with domefavors, phil seems stressed and likely annoyed with the losing. The knicks are on a 5 game losing streak, they're currently one of the worst teams in the league.

Goose17
11-11-2014, 08:47 AM
So much for Phil saving the knicks.

deaner
11-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Triangle?

More like Bermuda Triangle. Oh ya Phil, free agents are lining up already.

Chrisclover
11-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Too irritable

Pierzynski4Prez
11-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Knicks are Back!!!

jaydubb
11-11-2014, 09:38 AM
The triangle is so complex, it takes a lot longer to understand then most systems.. Surely PJ knows this.. Sounds like Adam silver does, I don't see the problem :shrug:

ewing
11-11-2014, 10:08 AM
the system worked great with Micheal Jordan and combination of Shaq and Kobe.

torocan
11-11-2014, 10:11 AM
The triangle is so complex, it takes a lot longer to understand then most systems.. Surely PJ knows this.. Sounds like Adam silver does, I don't see the problem :shrug:

This.

Sounds to me like Phil is either getting stressed, or pulling the classic "It's them versus us" that he did in Chicago and LA.

Adam Silver just said what many of us are thinking... it's going to take time.

Vampirate
11-11-2014, 11:34 AM
The Knicks best bet is to emulate the Raptors last year. They are not going to have a good record for a while, something will have to click chemistry wise and maybe they'll sneak up on teams and turn their season around.

They just need to get rid of the dead wood on that team (Bargs for example) and find legit chemistry to go anywhere.

Chronz
11-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Phil has flip flopped on the difficulty of picking up the triangle. Overall I think its more about instincts but Im assuming there are alot of dumb players in the league that slow the learning curve.

D-Leethal
11-11-2014, 12:50 PM
He has been ticked off with all of the triangle chatter since day 1. MSG hasn't shut up about "The Triangle" and they are mystifying it. He said it in his open interview - its not magic - its a ****ing basketball system. Nothing more than where you position yourselves on the court and react to the defense.

Phil implied to anyone who would listen that year 1 in this process was going to be a bridge-year. He has barely had a chance to put his finger prints on the team yet.

hugepatsfan
11-11-2014, 01:28 PM
IDK what Silver said that would at all have the potential to "humor" PJ. It seems to me like PJ just gets off on hearing himself say things that sound smart.

KnicksorBust
11-11-2014, 01:29 PM

It's really not that complex...I have high school freshmen running it.

DoMeFavors
11-11-2014, 02:58 PM
It seems people have said this triangle system takes a while to fully get where its second nature. Knicks likely wont look anything close to what they look like a year from now, so next year it will be another learning process. The thing about some of Phil jacksons past teams is they kept the same guys because they all had the system down and didn't have to understand it year in year out.

jaydubb
11-11-2014, 04:32 PM

You have high school freshman running an offense that won 11 championships in 20 years at the highest level of basketball? An offense that can have 35 different options when at the top of the key all depending on what the defense is doing at that very moment?? That's pretty impressive.. I played college ball and I don't think I could do that I gotta admit.. :/

I could possibly see a variation of the triangle, like for example the Princeton, but the full triangle offense?? come on man..

Crackadalic
11-11-2014, 04:52 PM
The triangle is doing basic basketball

The reason why we can't grasp it is because too many players lack basic fundamental basketball at it's core.

Nice talent on paper but we have so very low bbiq guys on this team

Getting Jose back is much needed because I don't think I can watch Larkin and Pablo play any more

DoMeFavors
11-11-2014, 05:11 PM
The triangle is doing basic basketball

The reason why we can't grasp it is because too many players lack basic fundamental basketball at it's core.

Nice talent on paper but we have so very low bbiq guys on this team

Getting Jose back is much needed because I don't think I can watch Larkin and Pablo play any more
That's a problem, as Phil and others who have taught it like Rambis have stated, you need certain players to run the system. Forcing a system apon players who don't fit it is bad management. Its complicated when you need to find specific players that fit it.

KnicksorBust
11-11-2014, 06:50 PM

You have high school freshman running an offense that won 11 championships in 20 years at the highest level of basketball? An offense that can have 35 different options when at the top of the key all depending on what the defense is doing at that very moment?? That's pretty impressive.. I played college ball and I don't think I could do that I gotta admit.. :/

I could possibly see a variation of the triangle, like for example the Princeton, but the full triangle offense?? come on man..

Lol. You can "come on man.." me all day long but I guarantee if you watched my team and if you watched the Knicks, my team would provide a much better tutorial of the Triangle Offense.

jaydubb
11-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Lol. You can "come on man.." me all day long but I guarantee if you watched my team and if you watched the Knicks, my team would provide a much better tutorial of the Triangle Offense.

Haha! That's probably true, ok I'll give ya that

DoMeFavors
11-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Knicks fans and the team should be very happy they can finally move on from Amare next year, Phil even before he was Knicks president said Melo and Amare cant work together. I expect Amare to be on a different team next year.

Crackadalic
11-11-2014, 07:15 PM
That's a problem, as Phil and others who have taught it like Rambis have stated, you need certain players to run the system. Forcing a system apon players who don't fit it is bad management. Its complicated when you need to find specific players that fit it.

Were forcing the system to see who can thrive and who can't. Those who can't play in it is either out by the trade deadline(JR) or is off the books next season(Amare/Bargs)

It doesn't help that we can't even be at full strength but it is what it is. I already foreseen we will struggle anyway

DoMeFavors
11-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Were forcing the system to see who can thrive and who can't. Those who can't play in it is either out by the trade deadline(JR) or is off the books next season(Amare/Bargs)

It doesn't help that we can't even be at full strength but it is what it is. I already foreseen we will struggle anyway
Do you see the Knicks making the playoffs?