PDA

View Full Version : Eric Gordon - the biggest joke in the NBA?

FlashBolt
11-10-2014, 10:50 PM
This guy went from being a legitimate top SG to being arguably the worst performing player in the NBA. Shooting 28% and a PER of 2.9. What are your thoughts on him?

DillyDill
11-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Was wondering what happen to his gm, but I'm guessing that injury really screwed him

GiantsSwaGG
11-10-2014, 10:54 PM
He's playing for a team he doesn't want to play for

Corey
11-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Injuries. He should have no issue playing with the supporting cast he now has. Guy was a baller back with LAC.

IndyRealist
11-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Eric Gordon was never a legit top SG, he just got paid like one. For his career, he's only slightly above average at 3pt shooting and average to below average at EVERYTHING else. His peak year, probably 2010-11, he was basically an average shooting guard that put up a ton of shots, but didn't do anything else. Injury kept him from ever being "good".

P&GRealist
11-10-2014, 11:43 PM
Should have let him go to PHX instead of holding him hostage. Simple as that.

Eric Gordon + 1st round pick to Boston for Rajon Rondo at the trade deadline.

Tony_Starks
11-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Eric Gordon has game, always had game. He was hurt, borderline injury prone. When he played on team USA healthy he was one the best young promising guards out there. He still is. A smart team is going to buy low just wait and see..

kobe4thewinbang
11-11-2014, 12:29 AM

Eric Gordon + 1st round pick to Boston for Rajon Rondo at the trade deadline.Why would Boston want a pick from the Pelicans? It won't be a lottery pick.

SportsFanatic10
11-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Eric Gordon has game, always had game. He was hurt, borderline injury prone. When he played on team USA healthy he was one the best young promising guards out there. He still is. A smart team is going to buy low just wait and see..

i'd say he's running out of time to live up to his potential. injuries and a lack of professionalism have ruined his promise up till now.

Shady66
11-11-2014, 01:18 AM
I don't even know with him anymore

SoCal Bob
11-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Injuries took away all his explosiveness sadly

Chrisclover
11-11-2014, 09:39 AM

Why will Boston want him,and the pick? The Pelicans are up-and-coming and may see its first playoffs since CP3 left, so the pick is not likely to be a top one.

Chrisclover
11-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Pelicans' FO shall regret what they did to hold Gordon hostage.
BTW, if Gordon had been in the Suns, would he have been better off? The Suns have a solid medical team, which is proved by their successes of keeping Stoudermire, Nash and J O'Neal healthy.

ewing
11-11-2014, 10:04 AM
guys get hurt

beasted86
11-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Why would Boston want a pick from the Pelicans? It won't be a lottery pick.

So lose Rondo for nothing potentially?

Celtics are in a rebuild. I'd take that trade, get Gordon healthy and ready to play in a contract year, then do exactly the same thing again... flip him for more picks.

Tony_Starks
11-11-2014, 01:33 PM
i'd say he's running out of time to live up to his potential. injuries and a lack of professionalism have ruined his promise up till now.

I don't know about lack of professionalism, I can't blame him for not wanting to be a Pelican once upon a time. His career has been derailed by injuries. If you're hurt you're hurt. I think once he gets a change of scenery there will be a lot of people coming out of the woodwork like "where has this guy been?"

Bruno
11-11-2014, 01:57 PM
the Hornets got nothing for Chris Paul, Gordon has become a wrong guy on the wrong team type, injury prone player.

If the hornets weren't fortunate enough to get Davis, that trade and the vetoing of the trade right before it would have gone down as a total disaster...

people say the Lakers stole Pau. Even though Memphis got back the cap space to sign Randolph, along with the rights to Marc Gasol. What did the Hornets get for the superior, younger player? nothing.

Chronz
11-11-2014, 02:19 PM
the Hornets got nothing for Chris Paul, Gordon has become a wrong guy on the wrong team type, injury prone player.

If the hornets weren't fortunate enough to get Davis, that trade and the vetoing of the trade right before it would have gone down as a total disaster...

people say the Lakers stole Pau. Even though Memphis got back the cap space to sign Randolph, along with the rights to Marc Gasol. What did the Hornets get for the superior, younger player? nothing.

Far from it, had the veto never happened, they would have simply had to wait even longer before going through a proper rebuild, being a treadmill team (perpetual 10th seed) in the process and having even worse odds at landing the future they currently have. Its the same today as it was then, the veto was the best thing for that team.

Bruno
11-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Far from it, had the veto never happened, they would have simply had to wait even longer before going through a proper rebuild, being a treadmill team (perpetual 10th seed) in the process and having even worse odds at landing the future they currently have. Its the same today as it was then, the veto was the best thing for that team.

oh, i don't disagree.

I'm just saying, without the good fortune to land Davis #1, that trade gets criticized a lot more than it did/does.

Davis forgives all.

Hawkeye15
11-11-2014, 03:18 PM
dude is always hurt is his problem.

Bruno
11-11-2014, 03:44 PM
dude is always hurt is his problem.

imo, he was hurt for too long during key development years in terms of confidence- that confidence needed to be an elite NBA player. i don't think hell ever be the guy we thought he could be 3-4 years ago.

2-ONE-5
11-11-2014, 03:50 PM

why would they do that with Holiday there? not to say Rondo isnt an upgrade but no need to deal a first that could end up in the lotto for him

Chronz
11-11-2014, 03:53 PM
oh, i don't disagree.

I'm just saying, without the good fortune to land Davis #1, that trade gets criticized a lot more than it did/does.

Davis forgives all.

Haters will hate regardless, its about the argument they lay down. The logic behind the trade was always sound, there is nothing to criticize, most certainly not in comparison to the original trade (imagine THAT criticism). It was worth the gamble for various reasons (promising young players, the allure of 2 potential lotto picks and boatloads of cap space). What they have done since then is disturbing, Im glad they've done such a mediocre job building around AD, maybe they should just hire Stern.

Bruno
11-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Haters will hate regardless, its about the argument they lay down. The logic behind the trade was always sound, there is nothing to criticize, most certainly not in comparison to the original trade (imagine THAT criticism). It was worth the gamble for various reasons (promising young players, the allure of 2 potential lotto picks and boatloads of cap space). What they have done since then is disturbing, Im glad they've done such a mediocre job building around AD, maybe they should just hire Stern.

Dragic, Martin, Odom, Scola and a first from Houston is still better then what they got from the Clippers. i get it, they needed to bottom out for Davis. ...but they were lucky to get that first pick. even the team with the best odds in the lottery can only walk into it with 25% certainty. could you imagine if they had the second pick and took Kidd-Gilchrist? What would everyone had said had they not landed Davis while Dragic ripped up the league last year? Dragic would have been running the show last year and this year, and they never would have wasted that money on Tyreke Evans. I'm definitely not as certain as you that what happened was better for them then what should have happened. A savvy GM would have flipped Odom, Martin and Scola to contenders, loaded up on young talent and tanked hard anyways. Davis forgives all, but they could have set that up just as well under the vetoed scenario, imo.

do you kind of like Anderson, Holiday and Asik?

Evans and Gordon are the main problems imo, they don't fit. not enough floor spreading

Bruno
11-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Dragic, Martin, Odom, Scola and a first from Houston is still better then what they got from the Clippers. i get it, they needed to bottom out for Davis. ...but they were lucky to get that first pick. even the team with the best odds in the lottery can only walk into it with 25% certainty. could you imagine if they had the second pick and took Kidd-Gilchrist? What would everyone had said had they not landed Davis while Dragic ripped up the league last year? Dragic would have been running the show last year and this year, and they never would have wasted that money on Tyreke Evans. I'm definitely not as certain as you that what happened was better for them then what should have happened. A savvy GM would have flipped Odom, Martin and Scola to contenders, loaded up on young talent and tanked hard anyways. Davis forgives all, but they could have set that up just as well under the vetoed scenario, imo.

do you kind of like Anderson, Holiday and Asik?

Evans and Gordon are the main problems imo, they don't fit. not enough floor spreading
the Pelicans would have been relocated had they never landed Davis IMO. they would have been the team under target for a move (opposed to the Kings or Bucks). Brilliant move by the NBA really. If they get Davis, they stay and we grow the NO market. if they don't get Davis, we move the team.

thats what I would have been gunning for if I was commish.

Miltstar
11-11-2014, 04:38 PM
the Pelicans would have been relocated had they never landed Davis IMO. they would have been the team under target for a move (opposed to the Kings or Bucks). Brilliant move by the NBA really. If they get Davis, they stay and we grow the NO market. if they don't get Davis, we move the team.

Now if only their name wasn't the Pelicans!

Stunner
11-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Hawks should swap Korver for Gordon

Hawkeye15
11-11-2014, 05:58 PM
imo, he was hurt for too long during key development years in terms of confidence- that confidence needed to be an elite NBA player. i don't think hell ever be the guy we thought he could be 3-4 years ago.

I don't either, and part of the reason is also due to his body not being the same.

IndyRealist
11-11-2014, 06:38 PM

The NBA is not moving out of New Orleans. Bringing people and business back to New Orleans was Stern's legacy. They had two all-star games there in the space of a few years.

Sactown
11-11-2014, 10:37 PM

Probably with your analysis on both the Lakers trade and the hornets trades is you're looking at them from years after.. that's now how you evaluate a trade.. you evaluate it from when the trade was made , was it logical? And the hornets made the most logical trade at the end.. the Lakers did rip off the Grizz... No way at the time can you predict a future big signing from a small market and a player who is in Spain

flea
11-11-2014, 11:33 PM
Hawks should swap Korver for Gordon

Jesus I wish we could swindle a top 10 SG for Gordon's useless self, but that is just not within the realm of possibility. As a Pels fan, I'm not sure Gordon was ever going to be much of anything. I watched him in college, where he put up a bunch of points at a relatively inefficient rate and completely choked in the tourny. People say he did much the same for the Clippers, though I didn't watch him much then. I'm just not very impressed by one-way volume scorers with average to worse efficiency.

PPG whores in this thread defend him but I don't think he's ever been much. Outside shooting isn't a strength, spot-up shooting isn't a strength, and he's too small and unskilled to be a really good finisher. Certainly you don't have to be big (Parker, Ellis), but you have to do more than throw your body into the paint like a young Lebron. He's got some strength but he doesn't really know how to use it, and he's got some length but it barely matters defensively (he's easily the weakest of the Pels 3 starting guards on that end).

He's not an awful player, but he belongs on a bench somewhere, providing scoring against 2nd units. He certainly doesn't have a role in New Orleans because he needs the ball in his hands too much. Jrue is our best defender and is a pretty underrated PG who can finish, shoot, and pass all pretty well. Tyreke isn't the problem either, he'll just never have much of a jumper I'm afraid. Rivers provides exactly what Gordon does. One of them is extraneous - and at this point I don't even really care which one. Just get us a true wing defender, even if he can't shoot much it'll be an improvement.

theGhost-isGone
11-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Jameer Nelson 2.0

zn23
11-12-2014, 12:00 AM
short, fat and lazy. It finally caught up to him.

SF8
11-12-2014, 12:08 AM
PHX training staff could have fixed. NOP stupid for matching contract.

ichitownclowni
11-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Pelicans' FO shall regret what they did to hold Gordon hostage.
BTW, if Gordon had been in the Suns, would he have been better off? The Suns have a solid medical team, which is proved by their successes of keeping Stoudermire, Nash and J O'Neal healthy.
Honestly the word solid is an insult. They are wizards

Avenged
11-12-2014, 12:15 AM
Naw. Biggest joke is the lakers.

:sigh:

Chrisclover
11-12-2014, 12:19 AM
short, fat and lazy. It finally caught up to him.
It sounds so mean but it is what a player his size will get criticized for once he bungles the job. The same probably can be said about Allen Iverson in his final days.

RaiderKid318
11-12-2014, 01:01 AM
I love my Pelicans and all but watching him makes it so painful. I would trade him for anything we could get and just start rivers. Rivers isn't great but at least he will play hard and likely better. Jesus at this point I'd rather Ryan Anderson play SG just so I don't have to see gordon on the court.

SF8
11-12-2014, 04:44 AM
They should just trade Gordon for another bad contract that could ball.

Maybe Joe Johnson?

Chrisclover
11-12-2014, 05:17 AM
They should just trade Gordon for another bad contract that could ball.

Maybe Joe Johnson?
Joe Johnson can contribute even though he is over-paid. Gordon is totally garbage statistically. So I don't see the deal will work.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-12-2014, 11:43 AM
I keep suggesting two for one deals to clear minutes for my Bucks. Figured Ersan, Dudley for Gordon be alright. Ersan been horrible. But always starts the season out slowly. So if Ersan stock rises i'd probably not want this trade later on. Inglis and JOB will be healthy soon. Bad enough Kidd using 12 man rotations on a max 15 man roster. Bucks need a two for one or three for one trade badly.

albertajaysfan
11-12-2014, 03:31 PM

Pelicans already traded their pick to Houston to get Asik. Plus they don't need a PG who can't shoot. They need a wing player who can.

albertajaysfan
11-12-2014, 03:42 PM
I keep suggesting two for one deals to clear minutes for my Bucks. Figured Ersan, Dudley for Gordon be alright. Ersan been horrible. But always starts the season out slowly. So if Ersan stock rises i'd probably not want this trade later on. Inglis and JOB will be healthy soon. Bad enough Kidd using 12 man rotations on a max 15 man roster. Bucks need a two for one or three for one trade badly.

Totally off topic to the thread. But as a Bucks fan do you have any insight into why John Henson is seeing so few minutes?

Eric Gordon has officially become the worst contract in the league. All the other terrible contracts at least seem to be expiring this year. No one way Gordon doesn't pick up his option for next year. He probably couldn't even get a multiyear deal worth as much as his option at this point.

Bruno
11-12-2014, 04:11 PM
I don't either, and part of the reason is also due to his body not being the same.agreed

The NBA is not moving out of New Orleans. Bringing people and business back to New Orleans was Stern's legacy. They had two all-star games there in the space of a few years.
not now. Davis will make them millions upon millions. if they were a bottom feeding team with zero chance of bringing in free agent talent without Davis...that would be part of his legacy (expanding the league and creating teams in markets that can't sustain themselves). another team with watered down talent that loses money. plus, Silver holds the reigns.

Probably with your analysis on both the Lakers trade and the hornets trades is you're looking at them from years after.. that's now how you evaluate a trade.. you evaluate it from when the trade was made , was it logical? And the hornets made the most logical trade at the end.. the Lakers did rip off the Grizz... No way at the time can you predict a future big signing from a small market and a player who is in Spain
I couldn't disagree more.

fact is, in the moment none of us know how a trade will unfold as time goes on. you can only give it a fair shake once you see how it unfolded.

it's a fun debate, Lowe and Simmons went back and forth on this for a couple minutes on Bills podcast. funny timing too.

Bruno
11-12-2014, 04:26 PM

Dude, I love the Bucks as much as a non-Bucks fan possibly could. I don't want to see Gordon jacking up 19% from 3 while Parker and Giannis try and attack the basket, derailing development, or getting that $15M that he will opt into next year. I'd like to think the Bucks could land a player in free agency. not an A, but maybe a B. a nice B quality player to pair with Giannis, Parker, Knight and Sanders.

I'd just hate to see Gordon get in the way of any future potential, but I agree that Ersan and Dudley have to go. at this point I just think Mayo can do what Gordon can do, so why spoil the cap for next season.

waveycrockett
11-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Gordon's knee are grounded into pulp. He has gone the way of brandon roy. Anybody saying its because he is lazy has no idea what they are talking about.

SF8
11-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Joe Johnson can contribute even though he is over-paid. Gordon is totally garbage statistically. So I don't see the deal will work.

Josh Smith then?

Chrisclover
11-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Josh Smith then?
So we are playing a mock-trade game?haha.
Nah, if I were Piston's GM, I dont want Gordon, either. Instead, I would take a pick and hope it will give me some luck. An old dog can't learn new tricks, and an injured one can't perform its own tricks at all. Gordon is basically done. For a mediocre team,which is also small-market, it is pointless to take a gamble, albeit the wager is small. Pistons need future assets.

Howard_Zinn
11-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Josh Smith for Gordon..

Chronz
11-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Bruno you sob
You've always been clever but man have you reached your potential as a debater.

Making me rethink some things is a rare act for me but I'll play devil's advocate anyways. Soon as i get off work and drink in celebration of my weekend starting

Bruno
11-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Bruno you sob
You've always been clever but man have you reached your potential as a debater.

Making me rethink some things is a rare act for me but I'll play devil's advocate anyways. Soon as i get off work and drink in celebration of my weekend starting
I can't say I don't appreciate that. your standing as a guy who loves the game of basketball over any one particular team has been influential.

Dragic becoming Dragic is really the only great reason why we can open this back up. but who knows, with the loaded backcourt they have in Phoenix- maybe he's never as good again as he was last season and this argument looks less convincing in 2-3 years. maybe my inner laker homer just can't let it go.

Bruno
11-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Josh Smith for Gordon..

I think Detroit should keep rolling the dice on KCP. and they have Meeks if KCP doesn't cut it.

I still have hope for KCP as a potential top five SG in the post Kobe/Wade era. he just needs more reps and confidence. i think he could become a really good defender too.