PDA

View Full Version : Is Anthony Davis already in the conversation for best player?

JasonJohnHorn
11-09-2014, 09:15 AM
I remember during the off-season several analysts were saying that in a couple of years Anthony Davis would be in the conversation for best player in the NBA.

So far this season, I wouldn't say anybody has played better than him.

His is first in rebounds per game, first in blocks per game, top 5 for points per game, 7th in steals per game, and he's in the top 20 for drawing fouls. On top of that, despite the fact that he's getting more blocks than anybody and more steals than just about anybody, he's only committing 1/6 fouls per game!

How do you get 4.4 blocks AND 2.2 steals per game and only get 1.6 fouls? That is unheard of!

And the funny thing in, the only other guy in the conversation right now is Stephen Curry, not LBJ and KD.

What are your thoughts? Has Davis finally graduated to MVP candidate? He certainly has the DPOY award wrapped up if he continues this level of play. The only think his game is missing is playmaking.

archdevil84
11-09-2014, 09:48 AM
his stats are god damn impressive so far. 4.4 blocks per game? thats sick

KnicksorBust
11-09-2014, 10:07 AM
It is still LeBron but I could be talked into AD in the top 5.

ManningToTyree
11-09-2014, 10:08 AM
It is still LeBron but I could be talked into AD in the top 5. ya I think that's more reasonable at this point. Davis is scary good

waveycrockett
11-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Davis is great. But he has ALOT of ground he needs to cover he wants to be put in the same category as LeBron and KD. I'd like to see him take his team out of Round 1 at least

Miltstar
11-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Davis is great. But he has ALOT of ground he needs to cover he wants to be put in the same category as LeBron and KD. I'd like to see him take his team out of Round 1 at least

The award isn't based on past seasons... Davis is beasting out, just hit a game winner over the Spurs in San Antonio right now he and Curry are the favourites, but a lot can change over the season... it's too bad Westbrook went' down as he would be putting up some monster numbers with Durant out

JustinTime
11-09-2014, 10:32 AM

Yea everyone knows you're not as good as Lebron until you find two superstar buddies to join up with you and fool people into thinking you're way better than you actually are.

Master Mind
11-09-2014, 10:45 AM
My top 5-

KD
LeBron
AD
Westbrook
Curry or Harden (fight to the death for this spot)

koreancabbage
11-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Yea everyone knows you're not as good as Lebron until you find two superstar buddies to join up with you and fool people into thinking you're way better than you actually are.

who are the two superstars this time around? and who were the superstars Miami? I mean you're gonna just throw the word superstar for every good player Lebron plays with?

Irving is no superstar. and before Love joined Lebron, he was getting mad disrespected as a top PF in the league and was just a stat whore.
Wade was a superstar until injuries got to him and Bosh was not and is not considered a superstar.

we get it, you hate Lebron. Just because he teams up with players doesn't mean he's not the best.

and in your last section of your opinion, how is that Lebron's fault? Thats straight up projecting your bias opinion onto another person.

Chronz
11-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Pretty sure everyone and their mom were saying he would make the leap into superstardom this year. But yea, I can buy him as the best regular season performer thus far, best player is something that doesn't happen over night.

waveycrockett
11-09-2014, 01:06 PM
The award isn't based on past seasons... Davis is beasting out, just hit a game winner over the Spurs in San Antonio right now he and Curry are the favourites, but a lot can change over the season... it's too bad Westbrook went' down as he would be putting up some monster numbers with Durant out

Davis has been beasting out for 5 games. Worse players than him have had better 5 game runs. I think Davis is a beast but anyone who thinks he is better than LeBron and KD are out of their minds.

waveycrockett
11-09-2014, 01:09 PM

Hilarious. LeBron dominated for years with a bunch of scrubs around him in Cleveland. Try again.

BoSox47
11-09-2014, 01:14 PM
My top 5-

KD
LeBron
AD
Westbrook
Curry or Harden (fight to the death for this spot)

Westbrook is in your top 5 players in the nba?

curtcocaine
11-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Over CP.

tredigs
11-09-2014, 01:33 PM
A silly argument to make when the two clear best players in the NBA are working into an entirely new team/system or out entirely.

Yes, he has been great to start the year as most expected. #2 for early season MVP rankings. Whatever that means.

Goose17
11-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Too soon.

SF8
11-09-2014, 01:50 PM
He's top 6 player in the NBA so yes.

GSRaider
11-09-2014, 01:56 PM
If the MVP award was handed out today, I'd give it to Davis... Curry, a close runner up.

I've seen enough to comfortably say that he's already a top 5,6,7 player in the NBA but its too early to put him in the conversation for best player with Lebron and Durant... Sky's the limit for Davis and wouldn't be surprised if we're talking about Davis being in the Lebron, Durant elite of the elite group by the end of the season...

kingsdelez24
11-09-2014, 02:00 PM
If the MVP award was handed out today, I'd give it to Davis... Curry, a close runner up.

Lol, so you'd give him the Western Conference Player of the Week?

HoopsDrive
11-09-2014, 02:04 PM
He's not the best player, LeBron and Durantula are still ahead, but he's in the convo for sure. If you had to pick players for this season only, so basically not taking into account age and potential and ranking solely on who's better right now, I think The Brow would still be in the top 5, maybe even top 3.

1. LeBron
2. KD
3. CP3

These 3 guys are the only players I'd pick 100% of the time ahead of AD. After that it comes down to preference IMO. Obviously AD still has a lot to prove but what a start to the season he's having.

GSRaider
11-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Lol, so you'd give him the Western Conference Player of the Week?

Lol haha... I guess so

nastynice
11-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Nice to have a dominant big back in the game. Howard's been picking it up too, would be nice to see those guys go at each other.

What happened to Blake Griffin? Haven't seen his name mentioned once. I feel like last year he was making a serious argument for 3rd best player in the league, did he fall off that bad this year?

Miltstar
11-09-2014, 02:44 PM
What happened to Blake Griffin? Haven't seen his name mentioned once. I feel like last year he was making a serious argument for 3rd best player in the league, did he fall off that bad this year?

Clippers got off to a slow start, he's trying to shoot more and many are saying it's taking away from his game. They had a big comeback against Portland last night so maybe that'll give them a spark

albertajaysfan
11-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Pretty sure everyone and their mom were saying he would make the leap into superstardom this year. But yea, I can buy him as the best regular season performer thus far, best player is something that doesn't happen over night.

Exactly this.

mrblisterdundee
11-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Anthony Davis has to create a larger body of work to be in the conversation. If he continues his usual production, and the Pelicans make the playoffs this season, he'll be in the conversation. So far this season:

1. Stephen Curry
2. James Harden
3. Marc Gasol
4. Anthony Davis
5. DeMarcus Cousins

sens#11fan
11-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Crazy how many people thought this kid was gonna be a bust because of his physical frame. I knew coming out of college he was gonna be an allstar but not a top 5-10 player in the league, especially since he is 20.

tredigs
11-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Crazy how many people thought this kid was gonna be a bust because of his physical frame. I knew coming out of college he was gonna be an allstar but not a top 5-10 player in the league, especially since he is 20.

I'd say 90% of people thought he would be an All Star caliber player at the very minimum.

Jeffy25
11-09-2014, 05:31 PM
It's been like what, 5 games?

In the past I had not come into the NBA forum often, but have been lately. Is it like this every year, a ton of start up threads less than 2 weeks into the new season making proclamations based on the minute sample size of 5 games?

Several threads like this.

Davis is a great young player, and he looks like he has continued his development and improvement, and could become a great force. But let's keep this in perspective.

amos1er
11-09-2014, 05:49 PM
He needs to prove more first. He is definitely on the way though. If I had to start a team with either Curry or him at this point, I would take Davis because he is a big and he is younger.

JEDean89
11-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Davis has a way bigger 2 way impact than curry does. the 4+ blocks and 2+ steals is absolutely ridiculous. the fact that he hits ft's at around the 80% clip is huge too. He's only 21 and is still putting on muscle at an absurd rate. if he gets up to 260, 270, he is gonna be one of the most unique players we've ever seen. he's like david robinson on steroids.

Jeffy25
11-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Davis can become a Tim Duncan caliber player, with better defense.

That's a crazy ceiling to reach.

tredigs
11-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Davis has a way bigger 2 way impact than curry does. the 4+ blocks and 2+ steals is absolutely ridiculous. the fact that he hits ft's at around the 80% clip is huge too. He's only 21 and is still putting on muscle at an absurd rate. if he gets up to 260, 270, he is gonna be one of the most unique players we've ever seen. he's like david robinson on steroids.

Debatable. Curry is a much better offensive player. I'm not sure that Davis' defensive impact compensates for the difference. Curry's playing much better D himself this season and is probably a bit underrated on that end. For what it's worth he leads the NBA in Steals right now (3.2 per game) and is 3rd in the league in Defensive +/- (AD 5th). He's putting up 27/7/7 +3 steals on a 65% TS and leading the league in WS/48, VORP and +/-. He's a monster.

tredigs
11-09-2014, 06:41 PM

He's not even close to Duncan defensively. He gets better counting stats, but Duncan was/is a genius on that end. So much goes into D that isn't properly calibrated. He's also a very weak passer. Something that is not likely to change.

JasonJohnHorn
11-09-2014, 07:06 PM
He's not even close to Duncan defensively. He gets better counting stats, but Duncan was/is a genius on that end. So much goes into D that isn't properly calibrated. He's also a very weak passer. Something that is not likely to change.

I'm all over Duncans nuts whenever I get a chance, but I must say that The Brow has a great BBIQ when it comes to defense. I'm not sure that he can step out and defend like Duncan, but there is no doubt that in the paint he can do whatever Duncan does.

As for the passing, I would disagree. If you said he is a weak playmaker, I would agree 100%. We haven't seen develop as a playmaker just yet, but he can pass the ball. He only gets 1.4 turnovers a game, and givne how much he handles the ball, that's pretty impressive. You look at Dwight Howard who is ten years in the league and STILL turns it over 3+ times a game? THAT is a WEAK passer. Looks a DMC. People drool all over that guy. He turns the ball over 3+ times a game and doesn't get any more assists than Davis. THOSE are bad passers.

Davis takes care of the ball and doesn't turn it over much. You get a guy who touches the ball 20-25 times a game and he only turns it over twice? That's pretty good. Can he set guys up to score? Not yet, but that took guys like Shaq a few years to learn. He's already got the first part of that down, which is taking care of the ball. Now's he's got to learn how to draw the double team and get it to the open guy, rather than just kicking it back out to the wing.

And his turnovers a negligible because he gets more steals than turnovers.

tredigs
11-09-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm all over Duncans nuts whenever I get a chance, but I must say that The Brow has a great BBIQ when it comes to defense. I'm not sure that he can step out and defend like Duncan, but there is no doubt that in the paint he can do whatever Duncan does.

As for the passing, I would disagree. If you said he is a weak playmaker, I would agree 100%. We haven't seen develop as a playmaker just yet, but he can pass the ball. He only gets 1.4 turnovers a game, and givne how much he handles the ball, that's pretty impressive. You look at Dwight Howard who is ten years in the league and STILL turns it over 3+ times a game? THAT is a WEAK passer. Looks a DMC. People drool all over that guy. He turns the ball over 3+ times a game and doesn't get any more assists than Davis. THOSE are bad passers.

Davis takes care of the ball and doesn't turn it over much. You get a guy who touches the ball 20-25 times a game and he only turns it over twice? That's pretty good. Can he set guys up to score? Not yet, but that took guys like Shaq a few years to learn. He's already got the first part of that down, which is taking care of the ball. Now's he's got to learn how to draw the double team and get it to the open guy, rather than just kicking it back out to the wing.

And his turnovers a negligible because he gets more steals than turnovers.

Dwight has rock hands. AD's a capable ball handler with soft hands, definitely one of his many strengths. But, he doesn't create with his passes. And really he doesn't give or receive many passes. He ranked outside the top 125 in the stat last season (just looked it up, there's a stat for that).

sheesh
11-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Did Durant just retire?

sheesh
11-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Jeffy has no idea what he's talking about. Watch more basketball, read less statzzz. Tim Duncan is one of the top 3 defensive players in the history of the league. "With better defense than Duncan". Well then we're looking at the next Bill Russell, Jeff. So choose your words carefully.

sheesh
11-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Davis was always and still is more of a Garnett prototype than Duncan anyways.

waveycrockett
11-10-2014, 12:42 AM

No he cant just stop.

waveycrockett
11-10-2014, 12:51 AM
Tim Duncan had the best post game of all time that was near unstoppable that extended out to 15 feet which is insane if you think about it. His mid range shot was damn near automatic. He also is one of the best passing big men of all time. Also he is arguably the best Rebounder of his era. On the defensive end maybe just maybe AD will be the better shot blocker but Duncan's post and paint defense not to mention help defense anchored 5 NBA championship teams, he is heads and shoulders above AD in every other category.

FriedTofuz
11-10-2014, 01:58 AM

I dont think Davis is ever goingto be as smart defensively as Duncan is, nor is he ever going to be half the passer that Duncan is. :confused:

FriedTofuz
11-10-2014, 02:03 AM
No he cant just stop.
:laugh2:

JasonJohnHorn
11-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Dwight has rock hands. AD's a capable ball handler with soft hands, definitely one of his many strengths. But, he doesn't create with his passes. And really he doesn't give or receive many passes. He ranked outside the top 125 in the stat last season (just looked it up, there's a stat for that).

I agree completely. He isn't a playmaker at all, but he's much better at taking care of the ball than is Dwight or DMC.

He handles the ball a lot though. Right now he's averaging 17.3 shots a game... that is roughly 17 times he's given the ball (minus offensive put backs), he's getting almost two assists a game, so that's two more possessions, he's turning it over 1.4 times a game, another possession, and getting 2.1 steals, a game, giving him two more possession.

That adds up to about 22 possessions a game.... and only 1.4 turnovers? And that isn't even counting possessions where he just passes the ball back out to somebody else to make a play.

In context of other bigs, he is light years behind Noah, Gasol and Gasol when it comes to passing, but at the same time, he is lightyears ahead of Dwight and DMC. I agree passing and playmaking is not a strength, but I wouldn't call him a bad passer. And so far this year his assists are up and his turnovers are down, so he's showing some improvement (though admittedly it's too early to tell how that will hold up over the course of the season).

Hawkeye15
11-10-2014, 02:51 PM
I can buy into him having the best regular season this year with KD going down early, and LeBron probably starting his peak decline. But he has to prove it come playoff time as well, that he can beast out.

For now, it's still LeBron/Durant

But I have no doubt AD will be in the conversation for NBA's best for a long time soon enough.

ghettosean
11-10-2014, 03:04 PM
At this point in the season looking at AD stats compared to everyone else I don't see why he shouldn't be in the conversation at all. Right now AT THIS POINT he looks like the best player in the league to me.

His game winner against the Spurs was pretty damn nice and definitely makes me take him seriously as the best player in the league if he can also be depended on when it counts the most in clutch time. Either way it's too early to give the crown to anyone yet but if we are talking now at this point in the season then GIVE ME DAVIS!

SportsFanatic10
11-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Westbrook is in your top 5 players in the nba?

it's not that crazy.

as for AD, i'm gonna say lebron and durant are still a step above and he needs to prove himself more. but he's top 5 imo, and he's in the conversation for 3rd best at this point.

Joshtd1
11-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Every time I've seen Anthony Davis play, he reminds me of a better/glorified version of Serge Ibaka.

JordansBulls
11-10-2014, 05:34 PM
No Durant is the best player still, but Davis will show the world tonight who is #2.

Munkeysuit
11-10-2014, 05:46 PM
NO!
1. Lebron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Stephen Curry
4. James Harden
5. Anthony Davis or Dwight Howard

Vinny642
11-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Harden is not better than Davis.... stop..

He is better offensively, but defensively Davis is miles ahead, a bigger difference than Hardens O over Davis'

You cant just play one side of the court and get top 5 honors.

JEDean89
11-10-2014, 09:44 PM
IMO

LBJ
Durant
Paul
Davis
Curry

FlashBolt
11-10-2014, 10:34 PM
No Durant is the best player still, but Davis will show the world tonight who is #2.

I think LeBron reminded us why he's still the best..

1) Way too early. Davis is having a great regular season but can he do it for 76 more games?
2) Best player? Can they even make the playoffs? We ridiculed James for not winning a ring but being labeled the best player. It's only fair we use the same criteria for Davis.
3) Davis is not someone you can trust to dominate. I think he's an amazing talent. He's strong, lengthy, mobile, and athletic. But right now, it's simply too early to declare him the "best" player.

JEDean89
11-10-2014, 11:46 PM
The truth about AD is that at PF, he can't create his own shot like Durant and Lebron. He can't hit the 3 at an elite level yet, he can put the ball on the deck, but is too big to move like those other two. He is dominating by crashing the boards, patrolling the passing lanes and protecting the rim. To truly take over games, he is going to need a go to offensive move. At the end of the day, this game is about getting buckets, LBJ gets 27 points and 7 assists, that's 42 points of offense or so. AD gets 23 and 4, thats only 32 or so. His defense and rebounding is elite no doubt, his blocks and steals are otherworldy, but to elevate to true MVP, he must take his offense to the next level.

JordansBulls
11-10-2014, 11:51 PM
I think LeBron reminded us why he's still the best..

1) Way too early. Davis is having a great regular season but can he do it for 76 more games?
2) Best player? Can they even make the playoffs? We ridiculed James for not winning a ring but being labeled the best player. It's only fair we use the same criteria for Davis.
3) Davis is not someone you can trust to dominate. I think he's an amazing talent. He's strong, lengthy, mobile, and athletic. But right now, it's simply too early to declare him the "best" player.

No he didn't, Kyrie showed why it is his team still, took the most shots and had the most points.

mightybosstone
11-10-2014, 11:58 PM
It's way too damn early for threads like this, JJH. Who gives a damn if someone is the best player in the league after less than two weeks of play? Let's have this conversation in at least a couple of months when we have a bigger sample size to base it on or, better yet, let's talk about this around the All-Star break. But are we really going to anoint the kid after six games in which his team is 3-3? I just think that's ridiculous.

mightybosstone
11-11-2014, 12:02 AM
No he didn't, Kyrie showed why it is his team still, took the most shots and had the most points.

Ummm... Taking the most shots does not make you the better player. That's completely asinine. Also, last time I checked, 32 was equal to 32, not greater or lesser than, so the second part of your argument is just incorrect. Lebron had more assists, more rebounds, more steals, more blocks, the same number of points on more efficient scoring and a superior plus-minus. No matter how you look at it, Lebron had the better game tonight.

dnl123
11-11-2014, 12:37 AM
With Durant injured Davis is the 2nd best player going right now. He's #3 behind Durant and Lebron in my opinion. I love Stephan Curry but he doesn't impact both ends like Davis does. I would be willing to admit Chris Paul is currently better with the right argument, but Davis is such a beast! Davis is gonna own the league in a couple years, and he's emerging on another level so far this year. Obviously he's gotta get to the playoffs and win some games before we move him above KD and Lebron who carry teams deep into the playoffs every single year. But Davis is a scary talent and if you haven't watched him play you're missing out! This dude balled out last year too and nobody seemed to notice!

SportsFanatic10
11-11-2014, 01:12 AM

for someone who has spent so much time watching and talking basketball, your posts are usually surprisingly cringe worthy at least when it comes to lebron. you really need to learn to just appreciate lebron for how good he is and stop trying to put him down with these weak arguments out of fear of him passing your idol jordan(very unlikely anyways) if you want to be taken seriously.

tredigs
11-11-2014, 01:41 AM
Lol@people who still respond to JB as if he is legitimate.

SportsFanatic10
11-11-2014, 01:46 AM
Lol@people who still respond to JB as if he is legitimate.

i had to try and give some friendly advice at least once lol. but believe me i know it'll likely fall on deaf ears.

SoCal Bob
11-11-2014, 07:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxTvCnAuUaM