PDA

View Full Version : If Phil Jackson...

Goose17
11-08-2014, 02:15 PM
If Phil Jackson had never coached Jordan or Kobe;

1. Would it effect how many rings they have? (Jordan, Kobe, Phil).

2. How would Phil's coaching career have gone? Who would he have coached? He was assistant to Doug Collins, after that what turn would his career have taken? (Remember, in this hypothetical, Jackson was never head coach of the Bulls, which means he never had Winter as an assistant and therefore wasn't running the triangle offense).

Just out of curiosity... not trying to make any points or anything just thought it would be a fun hypothetical.

akia83
11-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Who the **** can answer that? Do you really expect a serious thread?

ManningToTyree
11-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Who the **** can answer that? Do you really expect a serious thread? lmao

DaBossLaker04
11-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Jackson was taught the triangle by tex winters before Chicago. In another league I believe

DoMeFavors
11-08-2014, 03:56 PM
It is hard to say he has always coached Kobe and Jordan. Also had Shaq and Pippen.

%%%%
11-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Too conjectural ... we really can't answer.

I would conjecture that he wouldn't have won 6 rings. But who knows. We can't create an alternate reality.

P&GRealist
11-08-2014, 04:31 PM
He would have gone a perfect 13/13 in the finals

Happy OP?

nastynice
11-08-2014, 06:07 PM

I would conjecture that he wouldn't have won 6 rings. But who knows. We can't create an alternate reality.

I can. I have learned the secrets of the universe. And in this alternate reality, Jackson actually has 8 rings because he went to Portland and got to coach Sam Bowie.

Goose17
11-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Who the **** can answer that? Do you really expect a serious thread?

Serious? No. Does every thread have to be serious? It's just a bit of fun. Like "how would lebron have performed in the Jordan era" or "what if Jordan had never played, who would have won those titles"

Not every thread has to be serious. It wwas just based on something my friend said yesterday about how people criticise certain coaches for only winning with top 10 all time talent, we started discussing hypothetically who could have won a chip without having Lebron, Durant, Jordan, Kobe, Bird etc

If you don't want to discuss it just don't post. No need to be an arsehole about it. I come here for fun, to kill time. Not to have massive troll arguments all the time like some of you.

Jamiecballer
11-08-2014, 07:14 PM
No effect on Phil, MJ or Shaq

abe_froman
11-08-2014, 07:39 PM
of course it would have an effect.they're all intertwined and helped each other.phil was the one who got through to mj to trust his teammates which is when he became a champion;kobe hasnt won a ring...hell hasnt contended without him;the saying back 10-15 years ago was that phil was the only guy to get shaq to play defense,abit too much on phil's impact,but has a kernel of truth to it.all of his stars would swear to his effectiveness.

talent is what wins,but you need a great coach to bring the best out of that talent

IBleedPurple
11-08-2014, 08:22 PM
There would be much less Zen.

Chronz
11-09-2014, 02:03 AM
so why doesn't he run the triangle is he met tex before becoming a head coach in the nba

theGhost-isGone
11-09-2014, 02:31 AM

I can. I have learned the secrets of the universe. And in this alternate reality, Jackson actually has 8 rings because he went to Portland and got to coach Sam Bowie.
This is a good answer. Imagine the Portland team PJ's lakers beat in their '99-'00 run with Pippen, Sabonis, O'Neal, Sheed, Stoudamire, et al. Now flip Dunleavey and PJ. That alone gives me a hypothetical stiffy.

I think he wins at least 3 with that group and keeps Sheed and Stoudamire out of trouble, for the most part, keeping the core together.

Say he went to Orlando in '91 til '98, wins 3 there probably losing one to MJ, one to NY/BOS, and 2 to Utah. Then he retires for a year, comes back to coach Portland.

The more I think about it, the Jazz might stand to be the biggest beneficiary of a PJless Bulls team. The Stockton/Malone tandem was very good and always got beat out by MJ.

Kobe wouldn't have nearly as many chips - I'll say 2 but Shaq probably doesn't end up with Kobe minus the Zen Master.

MJ would have at least 2, more like 3 or 4 as I think the bulls had a good team that could best any coach or team.

PJ would have the 6 I came up with that you probably didn't read anyway.

TL;DR
PJ-6
Kobe-2
MJ-3

Goose17
11-09-2014, 05:44 AM
so why doesn't he run the triangle is he met tex before becoming a head coach in the nba

Because Tex invented it, it's his offense and Phil only used it because Tex was his assistant and he admired the offense. If he was never his assistant, odds are he never would have used it.

Even if he tried too, I doubt it would be as effective without that talent and without Tex consultation.

GiantsSwaGG
11-09-2014, 09:13 AM
What if DoMeFavors was a guy?

KnicksorBust
11-09-2014, 10:09 AM
I think MJ would only have 3-4 rings. I think Kobe would only have 2 rings.

It is more difficult to project PJ bc we dont know where he would have gone.

ManningToTyree
11-09-2014, 10:09 AM
What if DoMeFavors was a guy? I don't think psd is ready for that discussion

robdesign13
11-09-2014, 12:11 PM
How many championships would Pop have without Duncan? How many chips would Spolestra have without Lebron? Reilly without......

Chronz
11-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Because Tex invented it, it's his offense and Phil only used it because Tex was his assistant and he admired the offense. If he was never his assistant, odds are he never would have used it.

Even if he tried too, I doubt it would be as effective without that talent and without Tex consultation.

So not only does he never become head coach of the Bulls, but he doesn't even land a job with the Bulls as an assistant, despite them scouting him? Bulls were looking for someone to work with Tex (Collins wouldn't), so they found the hippie.

Its funny you made this thread tho, I was just about to make another What If thread revolving Phil.

JasonJohnHorn
11-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Well... I think the Bulls still win a lot... they were on the cusp of winning without Phil, and his first year he only matched what the team had done the previous year (though without the close call in round one).

Whatever coach came in, MJ would have been in charge and he would have looked great, but I think Phil played a big role in developing Pippen and Grant, so... there is a possibility that trades might have happened instead of development. In that case, who knows. It also depends on who Chi-town picked up. I'm not sure what the deal with Phil was. Maybe they thought they had a great coach waiting in the wing, and maybe without him they don't fire Collins (though I think they would have regardless). But then who? Does Larry Brown make a stop? Lenny Wilkens? Pat Riley? There are a few options. I think Riley would have been interested in the job instead of the Knicks.