PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Kings: Contender or Pretender?

CubsBullsBucs
11-08-2014, 01:30 AM
5-1
Wins against:
Portland
LA Clippers
Denver (2)
Phoenix

Everyone was ripping em for letting Isiah Thomas go. Not saying they're gonna be a huge powerhouse, but 76 games later, are they a playoff team this year?

FriedTofuz
11-08-2014, 01:35 AM
I think so, those are some quality wins, Cousins and Gay are playing out of their minds, Also gay is playing so well in Sactown that I think he's finally found a home in the NBA.

numba1CHANGsta
11-08-2014, 01:37 AM
Cousins best center in the league!

Teeboy1487
11-08-2014, 01:56 AM
:puke:

abe_froman
11-08-2014, 01:58 AM
in the west? i dont think so.they'll fade abit,be a just out team.but its very encouraging sign if you're a kings fan.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-08-2014, 02:03 AM
Still way too early to tell. The West is so deep, so it is still an uphill battle for this team. Having said that, their defense looks much improved and Cousins is seriously legit.

Duncan = Donkey
11-08-2014, 02:05 AM
Seriously? Um they are a pretender. And they don't even sniff the playoffs in the west.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-08-2014, 02:11 AM
in the west? i dont think so.they'll fade abit,be a just out team.but its very encouraging sign if you're a kings fan.

Well, Portland made it last year which was very unexpected. Everyone wants to compare this Kings team to Phoenix who just missed the playoffs last year despite their surprise season, but a comparison to Portland might be more applicable (having a dominant big man offensively night in and night out).

It is a long season left to go, but some quality wins and have looked good doing so. IDK yet if this defense is sustainable, but its a big difference from last year in that regard... and the offensive talent is there.

HoopsDrive
11-08-2014, 02:21 AM
Gonna reserve my judgment after some more games but it looks like they're coming into their own. Very impressed with DMC. If the Kings keep this up I could see them sneaking into the playoffs, out West anything is possible.

moshy2
11-08-2014, 02:23 AM
They look a lot better but they are still a pretender. Not confident Cousins can keep it up night in and night out. When he's on he's an animal. They aren't the easy win they used to be but I can't see playoffs at all, not with how stacked the west is

Sneaky
11-08-2014, 02:25 AM
3 tough games after tommorrow. I'd like to see how they respond, still kind of early though.

numba1CHANGsta
11-08-2014, 02:25 AM
Breaking News: Webber coming back to win a ring

flclfanman
11-08-2014, 02:37 AM
I hope they're for real. The Bulls want that draft pick :D

kingsdelez24
11-08-2014, 02:56 AM
:puke:

0-5 must sting hard

GSRaider
11-08-2014, 03:11 AM
Can't not be impressed... Too early to proclaim "contender or pretender"

Western conference is just so damn deep... Good teams will not be in the tournament.

Cousins is obviously going to be a force for years... A legit franchise player... And Coach Malone is the real deal (knew he'd be a good coach when he was an assistant for my Warriors)... Future is bright.

bleedprple&gold
11-08-2014, 03:16 AM
I wouldn't call them a "contender" but I could see them getting into the playoffs. There's usually at least one surprise team that makes it (like Portland last year and almost Phoenix) so it could be them. Just not sure who they would replace among the playoff teams from last year (unless OKC doesn't make it).

Sadds The Gr8
11-08-2014, 03:31 AM
It's early but it looks like I was way off on my opinion of them ditching Thomas. Watching his games in phx, he really dribbles the air out of the ball and doesn't defer to others. The kings offense runs way smoother now

ink
11-08-2014, 03:41 AM
World championships explains the early season surge.

Duncan = Donkey
11-08-2014, 03:42 AM
It's early but it looks like I was way off on my opinion of them ditching Thomas. Watching his games in phx, he really dribbles the air out of the ball and doesn't defer to others. The kings offense runs way smoother now

I already hate Isaiah and its only been 6 games. He gets his pts and stats, but the offense looks stagnant when he on the court. alot of just watching Thomas dribble the ball. Plus his defense is Steve Nash bad.

Sadds The Gr8
11-08-2014, 03:55 AM
I already hate Isaiah and its only been 6 games. He gets his pts and stats, but the offense looks stagnant when he on the court. alot of just watching Thomas dribble the ball. Plus his defense is Steve Nash bad.
I'd never watched him much last year but assumed he was good because of per game numbers and advanced numbers also. That's what I get for judging strictly off stats. He's killing dragic out there.

sacgiants1213
11-08-2014, 04:06 AM

Hmm, looks like Phoenix is already under-appreciating him like Sacramento did.

lionel
11-08-2014, 05:10 AM
i think its still early but kings deff do look like a force out west

PurpleLynch
11-08-2014, 06:43 AM
It's early,but they have a little nice core (Collison-Gay-Cousins) and young decent players around them(Staukas,Williams,McLemore). Plus,Sessions is a good bench player and so Evans+Landry.
The fact is that they haven't playoffs experience,but in the regular season they could be good this year. Still,the West is too deep,they must continue like now to reach a playoffs spot.

Not a contender,but a solid team that could reach the PO.

tredigs
11-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Warriors beat 'em by 20 in their home opener and held them to 30% from the field. I'm very, very impressed by the turnaround that included a couple tough road wins.

I don't think they make the playoffs because the West is absurd and I'm not sold that they have it entirely figured out, but we might be seeing the first 40+ win Sac team since the Webber era. It's nice to see them back at it.

JasonJohnHorn
11-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Playoff contender for sure.

Biggest help is Collison. I love Thomas, great energy player, hard worker, and skilled, but he was just too small. He's the kind of guy you want in a reserve role, like Phoenix is doing with him, or like teams often do with Nate. His size gave up too much on the defensive end and made it easy for other teams to score. I mean, if they played a team with a point guard who could post, then they had a mismatch on every play, and that hurts the entire defensive effort.

Collison is a solid play maker and respectable defender, and he may not be able to create his own offense as well as Thomas, but they already have DMC and Gay for that. That move may be the most underrated move of the offseason.

xxplayerxx23
11-08-2014, 08:44 AM
If cousins can keep it up and Rudy keeps the efficentcy up (minus last night) then I think they have a shot at the playoffs. Long way to go.

Crackadalic
11-08-2014, 09:42 AM
I gotta see more games but definitely a top western conference playoff team

It's like everytime a player plays thru fiba they help their team win more games than normal during the seasonn

Cal827
11-08-2014, 10:23 AM
I think they are playoff contenders now. Looks like everything is starting to come together in Sacramento. I'm happy for Rudy Gay too. That trade last year has worked out well for both sides it appears. He played very hard here in Toronto, but he just had issues scoring, probably because we had another guy who essentially mirrored his skill set in Derozan. Now he's on a team where he has teammates that complement him well (Mainly, the dominant presence in the paint in Cousins, just like he used to have Z-Bo in Memphis) and he's been scoring very efficiently since getting there (well except last night, but he did hit a couple clutch shots nonetheless).

I wonder, if Sacramento gets into the playoffs, how many MVP votes will Cousins get? It appears at least right now, that he's finally matured (hell, he calmed his coach down when he fouled out last night) and has become that dominant force that people thought he would become, leading to a debate to who was the best pick from 2010 with Paul and Wall.

I would love to hear COUSINSEVANSDUO's opinion on this team :D

Cal827
11-08-2014, 10:27 AM
I gotta see more games but definitely a top western conference playoff team

It's like everytime a player plays thru fiba they help their team win more games than normal during the seasonn

Raptors/Kings NBA finals :D

.... Well, that's probably ain't happening for a while :laugh2: , but you have a point. Soon enough you are going to have most teams pleading with the countries to have their roster represent them.

Damn, the Western Conference is going to be absolutely brutal though. I know it usually is, but for the past few years, the Kings were usually a team the stronger ones beat up on. Once injuries subside and OKC gets back to being OKC, the only weak team there I see is LA, and maybe Utah.

lionel
11-08-2014, 11:33 AM
good point ^

Chronz
11-08-2014, 12:52 PM
I have a hard time believing in Collison being the upgrade hes been for them at the point, hes let up for several teams over the years and I dont see any reason why he would buck the trend now. The Kings were a great offensive unit last year so long as the main trio were around, but their defensive improvement this year has been the bigger surprise. Some SacTown fans we have here have been trying to tell me Cousins had the ability to be an anchor (particularly so long as Isiah wasn't out there), if he puts it together on that end, Sacramento is for real despite any expected decline in Collisons game. But the inconsistency is coming Sacramanto, DC will start getting exposed defensively as well.

FriedTofuz
11-08-2014, 12:58 PM
Kings > clipppers

Chronz
11-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Kings > clipppers

nonsense

Sactown
11-08-2014, 01:27 PM
We were a top ten defense for th last month or so of last year, while our perimeter defense was atrocious .. Ben Mac strides in defense plus removing Isaiah has had great improvements on that end, our transition defense was horrible because of Isaiah as well..

Collisions production might not hold up? Well it's not like he's asked to do a ton.. biggest improvement? He can make an entry pass, reality is he's surrounded with capable scorers.

DMC , he's always been the best defender on the team, now that we have improved the biggest holes on the roster its coming together

Do I think we're a playoff team ? Ehhh doubtful , I want to see what happens when we lose two in a row and how the team responds

JLynn943
11-08-2014, 01:53 PM
I have a hard time believing in Collison being the upgrade hes been for them at the point, hes let up for several teams over the years and I dont see any reason why he would buck the trend now. The Kings were a great offensive unit last year so long as the main trio were around, but their defensive improvement this year has been the bigger surprise. Some SacTown fans we have here have been trying to tell me Cousins had the ability to be an anchor (particularly so long as Isiah wasn't out there), if he puts it together on that end, Sacramento is for real despite any expected decline in Collisons game. But the inconsistency is coming Sacramanto, DC will start getting exposed defensively as well.

So far so good with Collison. I'm hopeful that he is just taking to Coach Malone's system well and that he can keep it up. Last night was the first time he's looked shaky on both ends (it was during regulation), but luckily Sessions came in and did well enough and then eventually Collison found his game and was instrumental to us winning in OT on both ends of the court. I was not thrilled with making him our starter this season because I know he hasn't succeeded at it elsewhere for long periods of time, but as long as we're healthy, he's not going to be asked to be any more than the 3rd scoring option usually. Other than yesterday, during this win streak the offense has looked extremely fluid. It's been on everyone to keep moving and looking to pass, so even that helps take pressure off of Collison.

Cousins is absolutely for real though. Yesterday was the worst he's looked in this win streak, and he still managed to put up 25 pts and 18 reb on 14 shots. Also, while he still has lapses, his defense is improved. Even last year it was better. He'll likely never be an elite defensive center, but he's found a way to become decent enough at it. With how good his offensive game has become... I'm glad to have him on the team.

Only time will tell if the team will keep this up, but we're undoubtedly a better team than we were last year. The chemistry and attitude alone have me confident in that. We just have to wait and see if it translates into a significantly better record or not.

lionel
11-08-2014, 04:00 PM
cousins honestly looks great on defense

billy17
11-08-2014, 04:03 PM
The people that believe in the team are the people watching the games. Seeing the team refuse to lay down like they did in the past, play consistent, hard nosed defense and straight GET TO THE FT LINE. They're playing a winning and sustainable brand of basketball.

Wherever they end up, Kings fans are finally getting the progression we've dreamt of and believed in and it's a beautiful thing!

BHF
11-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Hmm, looks like Phoenix is already under-appreciating him like Sacramento did.

Karma is a *****, they were greedy at the draft picking a pg that they didn't really need having 3 legit starting point guards already.

M.I.A.
11-08-2014, 06:22 PM
cousins honestly looks great on defense

Has Shaq been working with him? Kings are looking good so far.

i'myourdaddy
11-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Has Shaq been working with him? Kings are looking good so far.

Honsetly Shaq might have behind the scene, but I dont think he did. World basketball in the summer really help DMC and have to give prop to Mike Malone, our coach is tremendous.

M.I.A.
11-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Honsetly Shaq might have behind the scene, but I dont think he did. World basketball in the summer really help DMC and have to give prop to Mike Malone, our coach is tremendous.

Just wondered. It looks like you are right.

xbrackattackx
11-08-2014, 08:21 PM
I mean I love Cousins as much as the next guy. But Rudy and Nik have impressed me the most. Rudy has been playing eff. As I have ever seen him. I love that he successful after he's been put down so much. He is actually playing better then Melo. Which suprises me the most as Melo is a scoring machine.

M.I.A.
11-08-2014, 08:40 PM
I mean I love Cousins as much as the next guy. But Rudy and Nik have impressed me the most. Rudy has been playing eff. As I have ever seen him. I love that he successful after he's been put down so much. He is actually playing better then Melo. Which suprises me the most as Melo is a scoring machine.

Rudy can kick *** and was a great pickup for the Kings.

Kyben36
11-08-2014, 08:46 PM
If their young guys like Mclmore or Stauskas can step up yes, if not, i picture gay and cousins falling off a bit. nice to see Collison though with a good chacne to play. allways liked him.

SF8
11-08-2014, 08:56 PM
I think so but Cousins immaturity will hopefully doom them.

lol, please
11-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Kings are definitely contenders. Favorites to win the west.

JasonJohnHorn
11-08-2014, 11:58 PM

Collison has played well in some situations. I think in New Orleans, when CP3 went down, he played well for them. Inidy was a let down, I think because they played different kind of ball.

In LAC, he came up with solid play while CP3 was down.

This year he seems to be playing well, but it is more about what he makes up for defensively. Not to say that he is a defensive expert, but he is a huge upgrade over Thomas in that respect, so while Thomas might be a better scorer, the Kings don't need that when they got DMC and Gay already, they need a guy who will pass the ball and not be a liability on defense, which Collison does.

I love Thomas. Hard worker, great energy guy, but his size makes it impossible to be a starter in this league and get results.

I think playing under a more mature CP3 who can act as mentor, and playing under Doc Rivers helped Collison's game as well.

Hulk6
11-09-2014, 12:26 AM
I think so but Cousins immaturity will hopefully doom them.

i can see ur just regurgitating the only thing youve heard about cousins to try and make it look like u know what ur talking about

Chronz
11-09-2014, 12:35 AM
We were a top ten defense for th last month or so of last year, while our perimeter defense was atrocious .. Ben Mac strides in defense plus removing Isaiah has had great improvements on that end, our transition defense was horrible because of Isaiah as well..

Collisions production might not hold up? Well it's not like he's asked to do a ton.. biggest improvement? He can make an entry pass, reality is he's surrounded with capable scorers.

DMC , he's always been the best defender on the team, now that we have improved the biggest holes on the roster its coming together

Do I think we're a playoff team ? Ehhh doubtful , I want to see what happens when we lose two in a row and how the team responds

Reality is that Collison has been surrounded by capable scorers in the past, hes underachieved even in situations where you would think he would be enhanced.

But I was dead wrong about the fit Hayes would be in Sacramento so I would actually love the fact that Im against them.

I did like them offensively tho.

DemarDerozan
11-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Contenders... Boogie Cousins for MVP!!!

...but right now Harden likely would get it because he has the endorsements and fame... Never mind his turnovers.

DemarDerozan
11-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Reality is that Collison has been surrounded by capable scorers in the past, hes underachieved even in situations where you would think he would be enhanced.

But I was dead wrong about the fit Hayes would be in Sacramento so I would actually love the fact that Im against them.

I did like them offensively tho.

DColli has always had a lot of potential. After working with CP3 on two separate squads I think he might be figuring out his game.

Not to change the subject but look at the two PGs CP3 has mentored... Eric Bledsoe and Colli... Both are doing good things. Dude is going to make a good HC some day.

I'm pulling for the Clips, Kings, Mavs and Suns in the West this year. All have good squads with a team mentality.

DemarDerozan
11-09-2014, 12:48 AM
Collison has played well in some situations. I think in New Orleans, when CP3 went down, he played well for them. Inidy was a let down, I think because they played different kind of ball.

This year he seems to be playing well, but it is more about what he makes up for defensively. Not to say that he is a defensive expert, but he is a huge upgrade over Thomas in that respect, so while Thomas might be a better scorer, the Kings don't need that when they got DMC and Gay already, they need a guy who will pass the ball and not be a liability on defense, which Collison does.

I love Thomas. Hard worker, great energy guy, but his size makes it impossible to be a starter in this league and get results.

I think playing under a more mature CP3 who can act as mentor, and playing under Doc Rivers helped Collison's game as well.

I agree guys like Thomas, Nate Robinson and Will Bynum are great power punches off the bench... But will never lead a serious contender to a championship.

The only 5'11 guy in the modern era who had that potential is AI... and he unfortunately did not have the mental strength to match his superb athleticism and skill.

Darren Collison has the potential to be a top ten PG... I also think that Malone's coaching is underrated. DColli and Gay are now two mid level talent players that have exceeded expectations in his system.

Chronz
11-09-2014, 01:14 AM
We have very different standards of playing well then, he played better for us in LA than he did in New Orleans. He showed enough promise back for Indy to take a chance on him but he was out of place in their system. So when he went to Dallas, the hope was that the "Dirk effect" + a PnR oriented system would revive his game. He wound up posting the best numbers of his career to that point, but as was the case at every stop, the team often did better without him and he lost his job to the likes of Mike James. So its not so much about his own level of production (though it is mediocre), its his poorous defense and his inability to mesh with others that has done him in.

Most players tend to play better as starters, and he did have a solid season overall, his best as a pro. He was able to fill a niche as a SG alongside CP3 or as a bench scorer alongside Jamal. I honestly miss him as our backup, I just dont like him as a starter and I've yet to see any team thats better off with him as one, at least not a good team.

I dont think the offensive difference has much to do with any of this, and I highly doubt Collison maintains his current rates on that end. And its odd for me to think of Collison as not being a liability defensively, hes been horrendous on that end over the years, but I guess when you compare him to someone whos like 5"9 or whatever, it must be quite an upgrade. I dont know if I buy that argument yet but we'll see how Isiaah fares in Phoenix.

I dont know man, I think they are both equally flawed players and I can see different types of teams benefiting more from either.

Munkeysuit
11-09-2014, 02:00 AM
Too early to really say what they are, I mean it's too early to say what any team is for that matter.
I do wish them the best though, they are definitely due for some shine down there.

Lakers + Giants
11-09-2014, 03:02 AM
They might be like last years Portland team. Get off to a good start, with everyone expecting them to eventually cool off and theyll still end up making making the playoffs. Not saying thats gonna happen, but we might see that again.

kobe4thewinbang
11-16-2014, 10:57 AM
It has been impressive play by the Kings, but this is now two games they've given away to the other team after blitzing out to huge leads in the first quarter (vs. Mavericks, vs. Grizzlies). Definitely pretenders, unless they quit doing that crap.

i'myourdaddy
11-16-2014, 11:21 AM
You post this after an impressive win against the Spurs?

mightybosstone
11-16-2014, 12:04 PM
In no way are they legitimate contenders, but I could feasibly see them somehow sneaking in for the 7th or 8th seed if they keep this up. My issue with the Kings is that they're still a very young team and their undoubted No. 1 guy in Cousins is so unstable over course of an 82-game season. At some point this team is going to have a major letdown. But if they can prevent a 4-5 game losing streak from turning into a 5-20 stretch and a complete implosion, they have enough offensive firepower to win 45 games.

I think a lot could also hinge on their production of their young guys like Stauskas and Mclemore. If those guys come around, this could be a dangerous offensive team. And they pretty much have to be dominant on offense, because they're not going to be a great defensive unit.

lol, please
11-17-2014, 03:25 AM
Alot of people still writing off the Kings, can't say I am surprised though