PDA

View Full Version : Steve Nash hiking and playing golf with injured back...

GiantsSwaGG
11-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Steve Nash hits golf balls on Instagram, Byron Scott tells outraged Lakers fans to Ďrelaxí
Brett Pollakoff Nov 6, 2014, 8:55 PM EST
33 Comments
Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Lakers
Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Lakers
Steve Nash has been ruled out for the season by the Lakers, thanks to a nerve issue that has remained constant, and only allows him to play basketball on a very inconsistent basis.
Coming to grips with that type of forced retirement canít be easy for any player to deal with, but Nash had one of the strongest competitive fires in existence, and has been spending time away from the team dealing with the emotional side of it ó even though he remains under contract for this season, and GM Mitch Kupchak has mentioned that heíd like to have Nash around the team to serve as a mentor for its younger players.
While heís been away, Nash has been engaging in some mildly physical activities, and posting pictures to his Instagram account. He was hiking in Sedona on Halloween, which got him some unfriendly comments. But what seemed to push the more fanatical side of the Lakers fan base over the edge was a brief video of him hitting golf balls, which was deleted from his account shortly after this post was published.
The comments were unkind at best, and the worst ones arenít suitable to be reprinted here, or really, anywhere else.
Lakers fans evidently want Nash to spend the rest of his life covered in bubble wrap laying on the couch if he canít suit up for the team this year, despite the fact that him playing wouldnít matter in the slightest in terms of the teamís chances to compete for a playoff spot this season.
Byron Scott attempted to call off the dogs a bit, when speaking on the matter following Thursdayís practice.
From Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times:
Byron defended Nash sharing Instagram video of whacking a golf ball: ďIt probably doesnít look good [publicly], but Jesus Christ, relax.Ē
I would disagree that Nash doing anything physical is not a good look. People golf into their 70s, and hiking is simply walking in a scenic outdoor setting. Neither of these activities comes close to comparing to the strain athletes go through when playing basketball at the professional level, so itís easy to agree with Scott here that a little relaxation is in order from the Lakersí more rabid segment of fans.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/06/steve-nash-hits-golf-balls-on-instagram-byron-scott-tells-outraged-lakers-fans-to-relax/

Do you guys have a problem with this??

Goose17
11-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Doesn't look good but any sane person will tell you that hitting a few balls casually on a driving range isn't anywhere near the same strain as playing through a basketball game.

Ty22Mitchell
11-07-2014, 05:39 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/06/steve-nash-hits-golf-balls-on-instagram-byron-scott-tells-outraged-lakers-fans-to-relax/

I agree with Byron. Those activities don't nearly equate to the strain a NBA player takes on a daily basis. The amount of flack Steve contines to get baffles me.

Ty22Mitchell
11-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Doesn't look good but any sane person will tell you that hitting a few balls casually on a driving range isn't anywhere near the same strain as playing through a basketball game.

Exactly.

savvy1803
11-07-2014, 05:49 PM
I agree with Byron. Those activities don't nearly equate to the strain a NBA player takes on a daily basis. The amount of flack Steve contines to get baffles me.

Agree , still would like to see him around the team passing on his knowledge to the point guards .

mike_noodles
11-07-2014, 05:51 PM
I can't believe this would even need to be explained to anyone.

bleedprple&gold
11-07-2014, 05:55 PM
I agree don't have a problem with him doing activities that are nothing like basketball but the team is paying him so he should be with the team. Whatever happened to him becoming an assistant player-coach?

72 Wins
11-07-2014, 06:01 PM

+1. I guess we needed a r3tarded thread to end the week with a bang.

L8kers4life
11-07-2014, 06:13 PM

Non issue, he is retiring anyway, what do the Lakers care that he is hiking and playing golf, he will never play again anyway so it really doesn't matter.
I do think Steve in a few weeks, should be with the team and help the PG's develop.

kobe4thewinbang
11-07-2014, 06:47 PM
His punk *** needs to go back to that LA Salon, get that funky hairdo again, add a nice suit, and start telling Clarkson and the other PG hopefuls how to play the game. Because Jeremy Lin is not getting it. Shame that LA lost the 50 point guards they had.

Snakeyestx
11-07-2014, 06:52 PM
The hiking? No ... it's mainly upright walking in nice scenery.

The golf-ball hitting... that raises eyebrows. Before people go on about "it's less strenuous" let me just point out the fact that you're rotating your entire upper body using the full force of your swing that starts low, apexes high, then contacts low and ends high in the swinging motion. You're turning laterally and vertically (2 up 2 down) per swing.

He wasn't playing putt-putt golf with kids somewhere.

More-Than-Most
11-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Didnt you guys know... when someone has an injury they are suppose to become a paraplegic for the duration of how long they are out. Its golf.... like come on

Cracka2HI!
11-07-2014, 07:06 PM

The golf-ball hitting... that raises eyebrows. Before people go on about "it's less strenuous" let me just point out the fact that you're rotating your entire upper body using the full force of your swing that starts low, apexes high, then contacts low and ends high in the swinging motion. You're turning laterally and vertically (2 up 2 down) per swing.

We're in the minority but I agree with this. Golf is pretty damn hard on the back. I find it surprising someone who can play golf today has been ruled out for the next 7 months of basketball. That said I don't have a problem with this. This makes me thing the Lakers shut down Nash to lose more games. I don't think there are any rules against sitting a player who could play so the Lakers would be smart if they shut him down.

Shady66
11-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Didnt you guys know... when someone has an injury they are suppose to become a paraplegic for the duration of how long they are out. Its golf.... like come on
This lol

abe_froman
11-07-2014, 07:09 PM
they're tanking,who cares?

Raidaz4Life
11-07-2014, 07:20 PM
No problem with this. Still Nash's lone Laker fan.

numba1CHANGsta
11-07-2014, 07:44 PM
He trolled the Lakers for all of those years of beating his *** in the playoffs LOL He got the last laugh

TO Rapz
11-07-2014, 08:05 PM

Agreed 100%.

ghettosean
11-08-2014, 01:22 AM

I love me some Steve Nash but i agree with this

ThuglifeJ
11-08-2014, 01:43 AM
Golf is killer on the back.

Duncan = Donkey
11-08-2014, 02:11 AM
You don't need a rocket scientist to tell you playing Basketball at the highest level is alot more strenuous on the back than playing some casual golf.

HoopsDrive
11-08-2014, 02:14 AM
Golf and physical activity :laugh2:

He's basically doing what retirees do.

P&GRealist
11-08-2014, 04:25 AM
No problem with this. Still Nash's lone Laker fan.

You're a Laker fan? :confused:

raiderposting
11-08-2014, 04:29 AM
We're in the minority but I agree with this. Golf is pretty damn hard on the back. I find it surprising someone who can play golf today has been ruled out for the next 7 months of basketball. That said I don't have a problem with this. This makes me thing the Lakers shut down Nash to lose more games. I don't think there are any rules against sitting a player who could play so the Lakers would be smart if they shut him down.

Nash wouldn't help the lakers win lol. They didn't shut him down to tank. They aren't tanking. We just suck.

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-08-2014, 04:34 AM
Agree , still would like to see him around the team passing on his knowledge to the point guards .

What point guards? :laugh2:

ILLUSIONIST^248
11-08-2014, 04:51 AM
He's kind of a dick imo. It's almost like he used us as his last pay day. I can't remember a single memorable game he's played for us. I know he's old but I feel like he could have done more for us. I don't hard any hard feeling towards him though.

Ariza's Better
11-08-2014, 06:40 AM
If the lakers trainers and doctors said its ok to play golf, it's ok to play golf. Then again this is the Internet where everyone is a doctor.

dodie53
11-08-2014, 07:44 AM
R
E
L
A
X.

thanks.

lakerfan85
11-08-2014, 09:57 AM
I don't have a problem with it.. I do feel that if he's able to do things like that he should at least show up and support his teammates every once in awhile..

Goose17
11-08-2014, 10:13 AM
If the lakers trainers and doctors said its ok to play golf, it's ok to play golf. Then again this is the Internet where everyone is a doctor.

This^

IBleedPurple
11-08-2014, 10:18 AM

He wasn't playing putt-putt golf with kids somewhere.Agree. I had a back injury as a kid that still bothers me at times, and golf is often taxing on it. As mentioned, shutting him down gets more losses, and gives the Lakers a chance at an exemption.

curtcocaine
11-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Wed suck more if he was playing. No D at all.

GIANTKNICK
11-08-2014, 11:11 AM
What are people talking about, if u have a bad back it's extremely hard to do anything. Anything can make it go out like sneezing. So golfing would be real tough ask Tiger a bad back derailed him.

ManRam
11-08-2014, 11:44 AM
The guy's worked his *** off the last two years, and his whole career, to come back healthy. Unfortunately it hasn't worked, but him catching flack for this is silly. The guy has always been so dedicated to his health, and I'm sure that hasn't changed. I'm sure he's not doing anything his doctors are saying he shouldn't do either. He's already been ruled out for the season, he can do what he wants.

0nekhmer
11-08-2014, 01:49 PM
All I know is Steve Nash is one of the toughest mofo

ink
11-08-2014, 02:26 PM
The guy's worked his *** off the last two years, and his whole career, to come back healthy. Unfortunately it hasn't worked, but him catching flack for this is silly. The guy has always been so dedicated to his health, and I'm sure that hasn't changed. I'm sure he's not doing anything his doctors are saying he shouldn't do either. He's already been ruled out for the season, he can do what he wants.

It's likely those who are critical have never played sports themselves.

JustinTime
11-08-2014, 03:24 PM
He's kind of a dick imo. It's almost like he used us as his last pay day. I can't remember a single memorable game he's played for us. I know he's old but I feel like he could have done more for us. I don't hard any hard feeling towards him though.

He is a dick never liked him. I used to be his biggest fan but by the time he reached 30 I realized he's a ****.

JustinTime
11-08-2014, 03:25 PM
All I know is Steve Nash is one of the toughest mofo

He is Canadian so that's a given.

P&GRealist
11-08-2014, 03:28 PM
I don't have a problem with it.. I do feel that if he's able to do things like that he should at least show up and support his teammates every once in awhile..

Yup, this.

AlixGx
11-08-2014, 04:53 PM
This was from Steve Nash's facebook page.

"I definitely don't want to be a distraction, but I felt it best everyone heard from me in my own words.

I have a ton of miles on my back. Three buldging disks (a tear in one), stenosis of the nerve route and spondylolisthesis. I suffer from sciatica and after games I often can't sit in the car on the drive home, which has made for some interesting rides. Most nights I'm bothered by severe cramping in both calves while I sleep, a result of the same damn nerve routes, and the list goes on somewhat comically. That's what you deserve for playing over 1,300 NBA games. By no means do I tell you this for sympathy - especially since I see these ailments as badges of honor - but maybe I can bring some clarity.

I've always been one of the hardest workers in the game and I say that at the risk of what it assumes. The past 2 years I've worked like a dog to not only overcome these setbacks but to find the form that could lift up and inspire the fans in LA as my last chapter. Obviously it's been a disaster on both fronts but I've never worked harder, sacrificed more or faced such a difficult challenge mentally and emotionally.

I understand why some fans are disappointed. I haven't been able to play a lot of games or at the level we all wanted. Unfortunately that's a part of pro sports that happens every year on every team. I wish desperately it was different. I want to play more than anything in the world. I've lost an incredible amount of sleep over this disappointment.

Competitiveness, professionalism, naivetť and hope that at some point I'd turn a corner has kept me fighting to get back. As our legendary trainer Gary Vitti, who is a close friend, told me, 'You're the last to know' - and my back has shown me the forecast over the past 18-20 months. To ignore it any longer is irresponsible. But that doesn't mean that life stops.

This may be hard for people to understand unless you've played NBA basketball, but there is an incredible difference between this game and swinging a golf club, hiking, even hitting a tennis ball or playing basketball at the park. Fortunately those other activities aren't debilitating, but playing an NBA game usually puts me out a couple of weeks. Once you're asked to accelerate and decelerate with Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving it is a completely different demand.

I'm doing what I've always done which is share a bit of my off-court life in the same way everyone else does. Going forward I hope we all can refocus our energies on getting behind these Lakers. This team will be back and Staples will be rocking."

Kevj77
11-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Absolutely no problem with him living his life, but Nash should have known better than posting this on social media after some of the comments he made about sticking around just to get paid. Social media is a double edge sword.

SF8
11-08-2014, 09:01 PM

You underestimate the idiocy of Laker fans.

Not talking about LAL fans on this forum, but there way too much illiterate and uneducated Laker fans in this country.

ldawg
11-08-2014, 10:16 PM
We all Know Nash has been playing with back issues for years. He know the Lakers suck and have no shot at a title. Thats the real reason he is not playing and the fact he was going to ride the bench. If Lakers were a playoff team Nash would be playing. Trade him to Spurs lets see how fast he suit up.

mjt20mik
11-08-2014, 11:53 PM
If you think 18 holes equates to the day-to-day grind of an NBA season, you got to be kidding me. I've played competitive sports at a high level, and even the craziest game of pickup soccer, ball or even 18 holes has nothing on an ACTUAL game.

Lakers + Giants
11-09-2014, 02:58 AM

This. Even as a laker fan I've got to say I admire Nash for the way hes gone about being injured and continuing to collect his paycheck. The dude has been honest the whole time, and he's tried to get back for 2 years. It's not his fault his body is failing him. Blame our Front office for trusting a 39+ year old player enough to give him a 3 year contract.

SF8
11-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Laker fans are pathetic

ďI definitely donít want to be a distraction, but I felt it best everyone heard from me in my own words.
I have a ton of miles on my back. Three buldging disks (a tear in one), stenosis of the nerve route and spondylolisthesis. I suffer from sciatica and after games I often canít sit in the car on the drive home, which has made for some interesting rides. Most nights Iím bothered by severe cramping in both calves while I sleep, a result of the same damn nerve routes, and the list goes on somewhat comically. Thatís what you deserve for playing over 1,300 NBA games. By no means do I tell you this for sympathy Ė especially since I see these ailments as badges of honor Ė but maybe I can bring some clarity.

Iíve always been one of the hardest workers in the game and I say that at the risk of what it assumes. The past 2 years Iíve worked like a dog to not only overcome these setbacks but to find the form that could lift up and inspire the fans in LA as my last chapter. Obviously itís been a disaster on both fronts but Iíve never worked harder, sacrificed more or faced such a difficult challenge mentally and emotionally.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/11/08/nash-writes-open-letter-to-lakers-fans/

Nash shouldn't have to explain his actions to a bunch of idiotic fans.