PDA

View Full Version : Has the Western Conference ever been this deep before?

numba1CHANGsta
11-06-2014, 10:45 PM
The elite: MEM, HOU, GSW, POR, SA, DAL, LAC, OKC(once KD/RW return)
The highly improved teams: PHX, SAC, NO, MIN, UTAH

The only teams that don't look promising this season are DEN and LAL

thoughts?

Avenged
11-06-2014, 10:48 PM
My thoughts are that this thread comes up every year multiple times. That's how good the conference has been.

effen5
11-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Yes possibly no

bucketss
11-06-2014, 10:50 PM
i wonder where the people that were saying houston would miss the playoffs are now.

goingfor28
11-06-2014, 10:51 PM
i wonder where the people that were saying houston would miss the playoffs are now.
So far we are all eating crow

JNA17
11-06-2014, 11:18 PM
And almost every one of those teams can easily knock off the best team in the East. The West is basically a league of their own at this point.

JEDean89
11-06-2014, 11:22 PM
I thought houston was gonna miss the playoffs, think they still might. the only good team they've beaten is miami. this sa team is sans duncan and ginobili. lal, phil, utah and bost are the bottom feeders. they are better than i anticipated, guys have stepped up bigtime for them. but i don't judge anything off 6 games.

BALLER R
11-06-2014, 11:22 PM
And almost every one of those teams can easily knock off the best team in the East. The West is basically a league of their own at this point.

If you had the best 16 teams in the league in the playoffs I don't think we would have half the NBA champions we have in the past few years

xxplayerxx23
11-06-2014, 11:25 PM

I disagree. I think a healthy Bulls and cavs (once they figure it out) can beat any west team in a series.

5ass
11-06-2014, 11:38 PM
I'm sticking to my preseason prediction of Houston making the wcf vs the clippers.

cmellofan15
11-06-2014, 11:41 PM
the Warriors look pretty damn good so far.

numba1CHANGsta
11-07-2014, 12:39 AM
If you had the best 16 teams in the league in the playoffs I don't think we would have half the NBA champions we have in the past few years

And this is why the NBA needs to change up their conferences just how the NFL and MLB has it done with the NFC/AFC and NL/AL

Hawkeye15
11-07-2014, 12:41 AM
uh, yeah. Through the entire last 14 years.

lol, please
11-07-2014, 12:52 AM
I don't see it, I only see a few good teams.

Goose17
11-07-2014, 02:13 AM
No. The western conference is in a golden age. It's terrifyingly deep.

RLundi
11-07-2014, 02:18 AM
I don't consider Memphis elite, even with their hot start, but everything else I agree with.

Utah is much improved but I still think they're bottom feeders.

I'm interested to see what happens with Sacramento, Phoenix and OKC. One of those teams will be left out. I wonder who it'll be. Smart money says the Kings will regress to the mean -- how can you ever trust Rudy freaking gay? -- but I love how they look led by Boogie. Part of me thinks the Thunder are out.

lol, please
11-07-2014, 03:18 AM
The Kings are primed for a deep playoff run.

Shlumpledink
11-07-2014, 03:37 AM
The western conference has always been deep. I don't know why that is.

Raidaz4Life
11-07-2014, 06:08 AM
Is it that time of the year again?

KnickNyKnick
11-07-2014, 09:50 AM
just dont feel right without the lakers in the mix. but definitly stacked.

nastynice
11-07-2014, 02:12 PM
My thoughts are that this thread comes up every year multiple times. That's how good the conference has been.

serious.

Last year it was already looking deep as ****, like 8-9 deep, then this year you add major strides taken by some teams like sac, no, utah. Its getting ridiculous. Its almost getting to that point where every game counts. You can't just sleepwalk through the season. As a fan of a western conference team, I absolutely love it

Its so weird how you'd think that just mathetmatically speaking, the balance would start to tip the other way, but somehow or another, it just seems the west gets more and more stacked.

And honestly, the east isn't a slouch either. You look at teams like miami, chicago, cleveland, toronto, that's 4 really talented teams right there. 7-8 years ago, that's on par with how many contenders you'd expect out of each conference.

I think the talent is just rising, and somehow or another, its mostly going to the west

nastynice
11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
just dont feel right without the lakers in the mix. but definitly stacked.

yea, for real. I know teams have ups and downs, but wow, that teams is just complete trash. They fell HARD. I like when they're in the mix, they're so polarizing, it definitely adds an exciting element to things.

Chronz
11-07-2014, 02:37 PM
serious.

Last year it was already looking deep as ****, like 8-9 deep, then this year you add major strides taken by some teams like sac, no, utah. Its getting ridiculous. Its almost getting to that point where every game counts. You can't just sleepwalk through the season. As a fan of a western conference team, I absolutely love it

Its so weird how you'd think that just mathetmatically speaking, the balance would start to tip the other way, but somehow or another, it just seems the west gets more and more stacked.

And honestly, the east isn't a slouch either. You look at teams like miami, chicago, cleveland, toronto, that's 4 really talented teams right there. 7-8 years ago, that's on par with how many contenders you'd expect out of each conference.

I think the talent is just rising, and somehow or another, its mostly going to the west

Lottery system favors the strong. 8th seed in the east is a FAR worse team than the 9th ranked western team but the 8th seed gets the worse draft pick

But give it some time, some teams will flail.

Honestly tho, i just want to make the playoffs..... That's it. After that i can lettuce chips fall where they may but this is the first year in a long time that i worried about just making it. West is too stacked.

Why won't Zbo decline
Why hasnt curry broken his ankle yet
When is Cousins getting suspended for conduct detrimental to the team

Don't get me wrong, as a fan of the nba this all exciting and i hate what's happened with Durant BUT as a Clippers fan, can i get another Bledsoe injury.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-07-2014, 02:56 PM
The West is just ridiculous. Some teams will fall back to Earth (Utah and Minnesota for sure IMO), but it is still a stacked conference.

I'm a Kings fan and I want to say they are a playoff team, but in this conference they still might not be good enough. I was kind of hoping that teams like Portland, Houston, and GSW would fall off a bit, but those teams have just gotten better. I think OKC is in serious trouble.

ghettosean
11-07-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm sticking to my preseason prediction of Houston making the wcf vs the clippers.

Portland vs Dallas or Spurs

Portland is just too damn scary and under everyone radar

cmellofan15
11-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Portland vs Dallas or Spurs

Portland is just too damn scary and under everyone radar

I agree with the Portland pick. now that they have some bench depth added on to possibly the best starting five in the league, I think they can make it deep into the playoffs.

lionel
11-07-2014, 03:39 PM
KINGs! very impressive. utah looks good. minni looks alright. stuff is crazy

True Sports Fan
11-07-2014, 07:41 PM
I don't consider Memphis elite, even with their hot start, but everything else I agree with.

Utah is much improved but I still think they're bottom feeders.

I'm interested to see what happens with Sacramento, Phoenix and OKC. One of those teams will be left out. I wonder who it'll be. Smart money says the Kings will regress to the mean -- how can you ever trust Rudy freaking gay? -- but I love how they look led by Boogie. Part of me thinks the Thunder are out.

For the most part, outside a game here and there, Rudy Gay has been pretty reliable for the Kings.

JNA17
11-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Why won't Zbo decline

Because he's awesome that's why! :D

Zbo has been one of my favorite and one of the most underrated PFs for over a half a decade. He always looks fat, out of shape, shorter than most PFs today, and has a god awful vertical but still out rebounds most of the competition and can score from practically anywhere. :D

Wish my Lakers after the CP3 veto would have just traded Gasol for Zbo. Him and Bynum/Dwight would have done wonders in the front court. :(

Avenged
11-09-2014, 11:37 PM
serious.

Lottery system favors the strong. 8th seed in the east is a FAR worse team than the 9th ranked western team but the 8th seed gets the worse draft pick

But give it some time, some teams will flail.

Honestly tho, i just want to make the playoffs..... That's it. After that i can lettuce chips fall where they may but this is the first year in a long time that i worried about just making it. West is too stacked.

Why won't Zbo decline
Why hasnt curry broken his ankle yet
When is Cousins getting suspended for conduct detrimental to the team

Don't get me wrong, as a fan of the nba this all exciting and i hate what's happened with Durant BUT as a Clippers fan, can i get another Bledsoe injury.

Don't think clippers should be worried about missing the postseason.

THE MTL
11-10-2014, 12:29 AM
The West always had 9-10 teams that were good but now even the bottom dwellers have picked it up. The West is legit 12-13 teams deep.

Miltstar
11-10-2014, 12:13 PM
The Kings are primed for a deep playoff run.

If only they were in the east!! I don't see them being a factor in the West, maybe a first round exit but I wouldn't put my money on them making the playoffs.

Tony_Starks
11-10-2014, 01:06 PM
The bottom teams from the West are better but it will be hard to really judge them until around the mid season mark.

As far as contenders I still got the same big 4 of Spurs, Clipps, OKC, Portland but now I have throw Golden State in there too...

SoCal Bob
11-11-2014, 07:23 AM
there's about 12 teams from the west that would make the playoffs in the east