PDA

View Full Version : 11/6 | NBA GameThread

kdspurman
11-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Thursday November 6th, 2014

http://www.sports-logos-screensavers.com/images/Img579.gif@http://www.enbiej.pl/wp-content/2014/07/rockets_logo_460_325-150x101.png

Time: 8:00 PM ET
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/cal49/nbaontntlogo.png

http://www.sports-logos-screensavers.com/images/Img501.gif@http://i3.itc.cn/20140402/587_426b973a_028c_7803_1b04_7ca235df75ab_6.png

Time: 10:30 PM ET
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/cal49/nbaontntlogo.png

SPURSFAN1
11-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Spurs playing with half their roster. lol

cmellofan15
11-06-2014, 04:18 PM
Rockets
Blazers

Verbal Christ
11-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Why rest players so early in the year when your roster is banged up? Cray.

kdspurman
11-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Only resting Tim & Manu though. They played a lot of minutes last night. (for their standards and in the regular season) And even with guys out, he's not going to risk them. And well, they're old. Its proven successful though. It's an opportunity for guys like Baynes/Ayres/Anderson to step up. And it gives Pop a chance to see who is worthy of playing time

Saddletramp
11-06-2014, 05:18 PM

Because they're each 50 years old. And resting these old timers worked last year so I assume he'll do it often enough this year, too.

If the Rockets win = "They wouldn't have won if Tim and Manu played!"
If the Spurs win = "ROFL"

SPURSFAN1
11-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Because they're each 50 years old. And resting these old timers worked last year so I assume he'll do it often enough this year, too.

but do you know how funny a spurs win would be?

JNA17
11-06-2014, 05:51 PM
I just found this gif on reddit. I'm not a Kings fan but I thought this was adorable.

http://i.imgur.com/z83gth4.gif

Verbal Christ
11-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Only resting Tim & Manu though. They played a lot of minutes last night. (for their standards and in the regular season) And even with guys out, he's not going to risk them. And well, they're old. Its proven successful though. It's an opportunity for guys like Baynes/Ayres/Anderson to step up. And it gives Pop a chance to see who is worthy of playing time

I get the idea and concept. They've played 3 games. I wouldnt think those guys need a break so early especially when the roster is thin. Preseason is when you see who is worthy of playing time IMO, regular season games in the Western Conference are not to be taken lightly in such a deep field. Just my .002

Yep, damned if you do, damned if you dont around here. Kinda like last year when the Rockets swept the season series against the Spurs it was all "but so and so was injured or limited"

I was anxious to see how the Rockets would fare against these 'elite' teams. Instead we get to scrimmage with their 3rd team. Not trying to take them too lightly, and hopefully it doesnt turn out to be a trap game. ARiza vs Kawhi should be fun to watch.

tredigs
11-06-2014, 06:49 PM
I get the idea and concept. They've played 3 games. I wouldnt think those guys need a break so early especially when the roster is thin. Preseason is when you see who is worthy of playing time IMO, regular season games in the Western Conference are not to be taken lightly in such a deep field. Just my .002

Yep, damned if you do, damned if you dont around here. Kinda like last year when the Rockets swept the season series against the Spurs it was all "but so and so was injured or limited"

I was anxious to see how the Rockets would fare against these 'elite' teams. Instead we get to scrimmage with their 3rd team. Not trying to take them too lightly, and hopefully it doesnt turn out to be a trap game. ARiza vs Kawhi should be fun to watch.
I like how you put quotes around "elite", as if calling San Antonio elite is anything but a fact. They did sweep the season series against the Spurs, but they would have swept Houston in the playoffs. That's the difference.

SPURSFAN1
11-06-2014, 06:58 PM
I like how you put quotes around "elite", as if calling San Antonio elite is anything but a fact. They did sweep the season series against the Spurs, but they would have swept Houston in the playoffs. That's the difference.

:cheers:

Verbal Christ
11-06-2014, 07:07 PM

So teams that were 'elite' last year are automatically 'elite' this year right? I used the quotes moreso as a sarcastic gesture when talking about who's better than who at such an early stage of the season, but thanks for butting in with your honarable defense of the Spurs, chivalry indeed is not dead.

Just like Im anxious to play the 'elite' Warriors. Should be fun.

Oh and the playoff comment? LOL Riiiight. I wonder if Spur fan would be as confident in that fantasy playoff scenario.

SPURSFAN1
11-06-2014, 07:09 PM
So teams that were 'elite' last year are automatically 'elite' this year right? I used the quotes moreso as a sarcastic gesture when talking about who's better than who at such an early stage of the season, but thanks for butting in with your honarable defense of the Spurs, chivalry indeed is not dead.

The defending champs aren't elite? News to me. :laugh2:

Saddletramp
11-06-2014, 07:17 PM
but do you know how funny a spurs win would be?

Actually, with Pop's system, I wouldn't be surprised if he took everyones de-activated players and made them a playoff team. I'm not saying that Duncan, Parker and Manu would be scrubs in another teams system at all, but look what guys have done after they left SA and look what guys that were overlooked by other teams or at the end of their careers have done in that system. Didn't they almost beat the fully healthy Heat in Miami with Duncan-Manu-Parker all sent home early a year or two ago?

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to Greg Popovich.

tredigs
11-06-2014, 07:28 PM

Oh and the playoff comment? LOL Riiiight. I wonder if Spur fan would be as confident in that fantasy playoff scenario.

Lmfao. So, you're not convinced that the team who just dismantled the Heat's franchise and has won 50+ games consecutively with this roster for longer than PSD has been in existence has guaranteed their right to be called elite at the onset of a season? Talk about a tough sell.

Goose17
11-06-2014, 07:37 PM
I just found this gif on reddit. I'm not a Kings fan but I thought this was adorable.

http://i.imgur.com/z83gth4.gif

LOL. Brotherhood.

kdspurman
11-06-2014, 08:26 PM

I honestly think the Spurs would have really beat Houston if they played in the series. I mean Portland has had our number in the past couple years, but they did a number on them. Pop was so determined last year, I think he would have coached circles around McHale.

I was worried to play Portland cause the success they had against us truth be told. And i probably would've been nervous about Houston. But i think Pop & Co. would have had something in store. Especially considering i think 1/4 games against Houston last year had the full roster. Lot of variables to consider IMO. Houston looks pretty improved this year though so far

kdspurman
11-06-2014, 08:31 PM

I understand your point. But its not about needing a break. It's about Pop doing what he does. Tim wants to play. Manu wants to play.. they hate sitting. Pop has a system in place though. And even though they've only played 3 games, playing in a b2b could make them more susceptible to freak injury or tweak of any type.

Especially when you consider they have a game saturday and monday. So it's not about just sitting today. it's about not playing them 4 games in 6 nights or whatever. There's a bigger picture than just tonights game.

And, nah. Pre-season isn't that time. Pop does it against top quality, not against pre-season rosters. It's the best way to gauge who is ready for certain moments.

numba1CHANGsta
11-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Spurs are gonna have like no bench tonight LOL

Htownballa1622
11-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Let me settle this.

Spurs are elite.

THIS Spurs team tonight with many key players injured shouldn't beat Houston in theory. If they do, shame on the Rockets.

Last year Spurs definitely would be favored to beat Houston, and I think they most likely would have.
But let's not act like they would "sweep" Houston last year either.

Fact is, we NEVER will know.

kdspurman
11-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Let me settle this.

Spurs are elite.

THIS Spurs team tonight with many key players injured shouldn't beat Houston in theory. If they do, shame on the Rockets.

Last year Spurs definitely would be favored to beat Houston, and I think they most likely would have.
But let's not act like they would "sweep" Houston last year either.

Fact is, we NEVER will know.

Agreed...

This is a night where Leonard has a chance to do some things. And Parker & Diaw are of course very capable. They have guys who can still go out and compete at a high level. I don't see a win happening, but Pop will have them playing hard

Htownballa1622
11-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Agreed...

This is a night where Leonard has a chance to do some things. And Parker & Diaw are of course very capable. They have guys who can still go out and compete at a high level. I don't see a win happening, but Pop will have them playing hard

Definitely.

I'm anxious to see how Kawhi plays tonight. Tony Parker can still be an engine to run this Spurs offense to be great w/o the others.

Edit: Beverly out tonight.

I expect a big night for Tony Parker.

kdspurman
11-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Definitely.

I'm anxious to see how Kawhi plays tonight. Tony Parker can still be an engine to run this Spurs offense to be great w/o the others.

Edit: Beverly out tonight.

I expect a big night for Tony Parker.

I just saw Beverly is out. tough blow. Parker has looked good thus far but we'll see how he is on a b2b.

Htownballa1622
11-06-2014, 09:23 PM
So…Harden kinda flopped once. Missed both ft's .It's only right.

Howards dominating which is expected. Good footwork on up and under.

James playing solid defense. Spurs with two shot clock violations.

The dwight block might have been goaltending but it was close.

kdspurman
11-06-2014, 09:28 PM
spurs need diaw in there asap

Htownballa1622
11-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Spurs are going to hang around and piss me off when Danny Green hits some big 3s in the 4th. smh

Htownballa1622
11-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Euro step Harden on Joseph :drool:

kdspurman
11-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Jason Terry got away with a foul on Kawhi. man... still can't stand that guy lol

Htownballa1622
11-06-2014, 09:39 PM
McHale- "What are we running?"

:laugh: seriously coach?

Htownballa1622
11-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Jason Terry got away with a foul on Kawhi. man... still can't stand that guy lol

weird for me still too. lol.

Kawhi on defense is too good.

leprechaun5
11-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Solid defense by both teams except for Terry who is just awful

kdspurman
11-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Really like what Joseph is doing. he's not patty mills, but he can be effective too when he's driving and finishing in the paint

kdspurman
11-06-2014, 09:52 PM
i hate games that reggie miller calls. good god, he's terrible

kdspurman
11-06-2014, 10:16 PM
amazing all the open 3's these guys are missing tonight. that kind of night lol

Htownballa1622
11-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Harden has too many turnovers but I like that we're leading.

Htownballa1622
11-06-2014, 10:43 PM
Get dunked on Baynes!

Avenged
11-06-2014, 10:47 PM
My 2 most hated players play on the same team lol.. **** the Rockets :mad:

bucketss
11-06-2014, 10:47 PM
remember when people were saying the rockets would miss the playoffs.

Htownballa1622
11-06-2014, 10:55 PM

Long season. I agree we make the playoffs but we're an injury away. I feel we need one more offensive creator.

But…

Peep.The.Sig.

Verbal Christ
11-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Lmfao. So, you're not convinced that the team who just dismantled the Heat's franchise and has won 50+ games consecutively with this roster for longer than PSD has been in existence has guaranteed their right to be called elite at the onset of a season? Talk about a tough sell.

LOL so dramatic! Amazing how the Spurs now are these juggernauts around here when what? 2 or 3 years ago people here would claim that they were too old and would start breaking down and whatever whatever. Your clown *** talks about getting swept out of a series without even knowing what the hell you're talking about, blinded by your rage hate that its actually pretty funny to me. You're mad.

Verbal Christ
11-06-2014, 11:02 PM
:cricket: :cricket: :cricket:

Teeboy1487
11-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Rockets kicking *** right now. They can be very dangerous barring injuries.

c.c.
11-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Rockets should of left the starters in til the 5 minute mark

cmellofan15
11-06-2014, 11:22 PM

the rockets trolling has died down quite a bit since the offseason. now its the Cavs turn lol.

c.c.
11-06-2014, 11:28 PM

Calm down bro, it's very very early in the season

ThuglifeJ
11-06-2014, 11:31 PM
this game isn't worth any thought..Spurs sat Duncan, Ginobili, Splitter for rest..

c.c.
11-06-2014, 11:37 PM
this game isn't worth any thought..Spurs sat Duncan, Ginobili, Splitter for rest..

:faint:

Htownballa1622
11-06-2014, 11:51 PM
If Portland and Dallas want to just beat each other up to a triple ot. game then :clap:

astrosmaniac
11-06-2014, 11:54 PM

and the rockets are missing 2 starters. They still ran their *** out the gym.

Htownballa1622
11-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Portland's bench is doo doo while Dallas' bench is sweet.

Htownballa1622
11-07-2014, 12:26 AM
I know Kawhi was off tonight (offensively) but if he's looking for a max, it could get interesting next year in RFA.

kdspurman
11-07-2014, 12:42 AM
and the rockets are missing 2 starters. They still ran their *** out the gym.

no offense, but the spurs are missing 5 key players & coming off a b2b. Houston played well, but it's not a signature win or something to really boast about imo.

A win is a win of course, but realize the circumstances

kdspurman
11-07-2014, 12:44 AM
I know Kawhi was off tonight (offensively) but if he's looking for a max, it could get interesting next year in RFA.

the eye infection is still bothering him. He's looked off rhythm the past few games, his eye still looks a little messed up.

he hasn't played since the finals so it'll take him some time to get back in the groove

Htownballa1622
11-07-2014, 01:01 AM
the eye infection is still bothering him. He's looked off rhythm the past few games, his eye still looks a little messed up.

he hasn't played since the finals so it'll take him some time to get back in the groove

Ah. I forgot about the eye infection.
Nonetheless, how much do you think he'll fetch? Thing is I can see another Houston/Dallas/Parsons situation if Spurs aren't willing to pay the max; but are they willing to?

What do you think happens?

kdspurman
11-07-2014, 01:09 AM
Ah. I forgot about the eye infection.
Nonetheless, how much do you think he'll fetch? Thing is I can see another Houston/Dallas/Parsons situation if Spurs aren't willing to pay the max; but are they willing to?

What do you think happens?

gut feeling says they keep him. i just can't imagine it not happening. pop has called him the future of the franchise several times and you rarely hear pop give someone that title, especially in their 2nd year. (outside an obvious young player like duncan was)

i don't know what he'll fetch. i guess it depends on his play this year. they may overpay him a bit. or they might try and sell him a little lower to bring in some more help if tim/manu call it quits

Htownballa1622
11-07-2014, 01:14 AM
gut feeling says they keep him. i just can't imagine it not happening. pop has called him the future of the franchise several times and you rarely hear pop give someone that title, especially in their 2nd year. (outside an obvious young player like duncan was)

i don't know what he'll fetch. i guess it depends on his play this year. they may overpay him a bit. or they might try and sell him a little lower to bring in some more help if tim/manu call it quits

Yeah I heard Pop say that about Kawhi. High praise. I think they've gotta keep him too. Can't let talent like that just walk. It will be interesting though because naturally a young player wants to get paid.

He and TP will be the future once Timmy and Ginobili retire in 10 more years lol.

SF8
11-07-2014, 02:03 AM
I think Pop knew that the Spurs would lose to the Rockets even if they played Duncan, Ginobili and Splitter so there was no point in wearing them out even more. By not playing them and losing with them, the Spurs will have more confidence next time also.

The Spurs decline starts this season, I'm calling it.

Disclaimer: I have been calling the Spurs decline for the past 5 years so proceed with caution

Vinny642
11-07-2014, 02:43 AM
Shaq is the most annoying talker/analyst/whatever he is

IBleedPurple
11-07-2014, 03:32 AM
Shaq is the most annoying talker/analyst/whatever he isI bought a lifetime supply of icy hot and gold bond. Watch your mouth.

If you can't understand Shaq Fu, then you must speak English and not be gullible.

Saddletramp
11-07-2014, 04:05 AM
Just watched the first game, about to watch the second. I see from the lack of conversation that nothing very interesting happened.

astrosmaniac
11-07-2014, 12:54 PM
no offense, but the spurs are missing 5 key players & coming off a b2b. Houston played well, but it's not a signature win or something to really boast about imo.

A win is a win of course, but realize the circumstances

yes, but that doesn't mean that you can just dismiss it as immaterial. Houston has also already played 5 games prior to last night and had 2 sets of road back to backs. Let's not act like SA was this incompetent squad while Houston was at full strength. I'm sick of people qualifying the rockets success. I don't care who you play, winning 6 straight games by around 14 PPG to start the season is damn impressive.

tredigs
11-07-2014, 01:27 PM
No Splitter/Duncan and on the road for a b2b. The Rox correctly targeted Dwight early and easily abused them. Danny Green shockinly missing WIDE OPEN 3's in the 1st half did not help their cause. I actually thought the Rockets did a pretty poor job of capitalizing on extending the lead early, but it still worked out fine.

Verbal Christ
11-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Comedy gold. "poor job extending lead" LOL it got up to 31!

kdspurman
11-07-2014, 03:45 PM
yes, but that doesn't mean that you can just dismiss it as immaterial. Houston has also already played 5 games prior to last night and had 2 sets of road back to backs. Let's not act like SA was this incompetent squad while Houston was at full strength. I'm sick of people qualifying the rockets success. I don't care who you play, winning 6 straight games by around 14 PPG to start the season is damn impressive.

Ok... I'm not saying dismiss it, I'm saying don't make it to be bigger than it is. There are some wins that you can be proud of, and others that are just like, we did what we were supposed to do. At least that's how I see it.

And while they weren't some incompetent squad, their big man depth was pretty bad. Hence the big game by Dwight

kdspurman
11-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Comedy gold. "poor job extending lead" LOL it got up to 31!

Capitalizing early he said. I think in the first half when SA was still hanging around despite shooting in the 20%s from the field.

It was only a matter of time before either SA started hitting shots, or Houston started to pull away

tredigs
11-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Capitalizing early he said. I think in the first half when SA was still hanging around despite shooting in the 20%s from the field.

It was only a matter of time before either SA started hitting shots, or Houston started to pull away

He's a homer, he's not concerned with what I actually said lol. They did do a poor job extending the lead early. When San Antonio was missing all those early looks (also, very good paint D from Howard) and literally did not score for the first half of the quarter you've got to punish them. I think it was 7-0 at the 5:50 mark?

kdspurman
11-07-2014, 05:08 PM
He's a homer, he's not concerned with what I actually said lol. They did do a poor job extending the lead early. When San Antonio was missing all those early looks (also, very good paint D from Howard) and literally did not score for the first half of the quarter you've got to punish them. I think it was 7-0 at the 5:50 mark?

Yea Houston was struggling to score too. It ended like 18-15 after the first. SA definitely had their fair share of open shots that were missed, and had no success in the paint due to Howard's presence.

It took them a while to pull away but they took care of business.

astrosmaniac
11-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Ok... I'm not saying dismiss it, I'm saying don't make it to be bigger than it is. There are some wins that you can be proud of, and others that are just like, we did what we were supposed to do. At least that's how I see it.

And while they weren't some incompetent squad, their big man depth was pretty bad. Hence the big game by Dwight

Right, but the roster that SA ran out last night still beats about half the teams in the league. It's not like this was the kobe-less lakers or the Melo-less Knicks. You still had parker, green, leonard, and diaw out there.

And yes they struggled to "extend the lead early" if you look at the first quarter, but it was still a 16 point lead at half. That's still pretty early.