PDA

View Full Version : Rondo - the closest thing to a triple double machine?

FlashBolt
11-03-2014, 11:25 PM
This guy comes back from a huge injury and is putting up insane overall numbers. He's averaging nearly a triple double:

Today:
7 points, 7 rebounds, 9 assists in 24 minutes.

Season:
8.5 points, 8.5 rebounds, 10 assists.

People want to talk about Lance, LeBron, etc., but is it farfetched to say Rondo can average a triple double this season?

jaydubb
11-03-2014, 11:27 PM
He is one of the guys I'd say has potential to get multiple triple doubles but no, he's not gonna average a triple double.. Doubt we ever see that again, that will only happen once

THE MTL
11-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Rondo and Lance are best equipped to average triple doubles this season.

I'm putting Lebron out that race because KLove is just too much of a beast on the boards.

FlashBolt
11-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Man, I remember everyone doubting Rondo. I love this dude's game. Hustles, has the "it" attitude, can play all-around except offense isn't that great but he does have spurts where he can go bananas. Top 5 PG for sure IMO.

leprechaun5
11-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Man, I remember everyone doubting Rondo. I love this dude's game. Hustles, has the "it" attitude, can play all-around except offense isn't that great but he does have spurts where he can go bananas. Top 5 PG for sure IMO.

He isn't a top 12 PG anymore, probably not top 15. Not to mention he's erratic, stubborn, uncoachable, injury prone, takes games off etc. I just hope there are GM who think like you out there.

FlashBolt
11-03-2014, 11:38 PM
He isn't a top 12 PG anymore, probably not top 15. Not to mention he's erratic, stubborn, uncoachable, injury prone, takes games off etc. I just hope there are GM who think like you out there.

He isn't a top 12 PG? Lol... You just named half the entire NBA btw.. That's like saying DeMarcus Cousins isn't a top C.

lamzoka
11-03-2014, 11:42 PM
if rondo can knock down open shots on consistent basis, he'll be the best pg in the league.

CP3 is overrated.

leprechaun5
11-03-2014, 11:45 PM
He isn't a top 12 PG? Lol... You just named half the entire NBA btw.. That's like saying DeMarcus Cousins isn't a top C.

Cp3, Parker, Westbrook, Rose, Wall, Lowry, Irving, Curry, Dragic, Lillard, Lawson, Conley, probably some others.

Cal827
11-03-2014, 11:50 PM

He's not. He's an elite SG, but Center, nah.

Cal827
11-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Cp3, Parker, Westbrook, Rose, Wall, Lowry, Irving, Curry, Dragic, Lillard, Lawson, Conley, probably some others.

I guess it's differing opinions, but overall, I would take Rondo over the bolded, and borderline on Lowry too.

tredigs
11-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Nice rebounder and a nice playmaker but a stat whore - specifically when it comes to assists. When you have a TS% in the 4's and have never led a high end offense, you are not in the discussion for top PG. A guy like Nash transformed offenses, while you can argue that Rondo hurts them. Any time a PG allows the opposition to play zone you know you're in trouble.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-04-2014, 12:17 AM
if rondo can knock down open shots on consistent basis, he'll be the best pg in the league.

CP3 is overrated.

People have been saying this since 09. Still no jump shot.

I'll be fair to Rondo though and won't use last season's stat line and performance against him considering that he returned midseason to a team that was already in a full on tank process and wasn't allowed to play back to backs.

Kaner
11-04-2014, 12:53 AM

I agree with this but I'd add Bledsoe, all of them comfortably ahead of Rondo imo. He's in a tier below those guys grouped with Rubio, I.Thomas, and Deron Williams.

SeoulBeatz
11-04-2014, 01:36 AM
I agree with this but I'd add Bledsoe, all of them comfortably ahead of Rondo imo. He's in a tier below those guys grouped with Rubio, I.Thomas, and Deron Williams.

Man that's insulting. I'd still say a motivated Rondo is capable of being a top 5 PG in this league.

Celtics are rebuilding/tanking (whatever you want to call it) and you gotta think Rondo isn't happy with their current situation. A change of scenery would do him some good. He's still a top 3 passer in the league IMO and a rare talent at the PG position.

5ass
11-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Man that's insulting. I'd still say a motivated Rondo is capable of being a top 5 PG in this league.

Celtics are rebuilding/tanking (whatever you want to call it) and you gotta think Rondo isn't happy with their current situation. A change of scenery would do him some good. He's still a top 3 passer in the league IMO and a rare talent at the PG position.

Great block there by noel. You think he'd get a technical if he adopts the finger wag? Lol

I think Rondo is underrated somewhat. Yes he has a low ts%, that's why he doesn't shoot much. Yes sometimes he overpasses. There are few PGs that can outplay him in the play offs. That's why I think he's an elite PG.

Watch for the next up and coming triple double machines, MCW and Elfrid Payton.

SeoulBeatz
11-04-2014, 02:35 AM
Great block there by noel. You think he'd get a technical if he adopts the finger wag? Lol

I think Rondo is underrated somewhat. Yes he has a low ts%, that's why he doesn't shoot much. Yes sometimes he overpasses. There are few PGs that can outplay him in the play offs. That's why I think he's an elite PG.

Watch for the next up and coming triple double machines, MCW and Elfrid Payton.

haha yeah, that was our one and only highlight from last night's game.

But agreed, I feel like people forget just how good Rondo is when he has talent around him. He used to torch the Sixers (and the whole nba for that matter) night-in and night-out and he won me over with how crafty he is. He's the definition of a pest.

And yea, Payton is looking nice. ROY candidate for sure. I wanted the Sixers to keep him even though him and MCW would never work in the same backcourt haha.

5ass
11-04-2014, 02:50 AM
haha yeah, that was our one and only highlight from last night's game.

But agreed, I feel like people forget just how good Rondo is when he has talent around him. He used to torch the Sixers (and the whole nba for that matter) night-in and night-out and he won me over with how crafty he is. He's the definition of a pest.

And yea, Payton is looking nice. ROY candidate for sure. I wanted the Sixers to keep him even though him and MCW would never work in the same backcourt haha.

Rondo basically averaged a triple double in the playoffs through 14 games at 22 years old. 17-9.8-9.7-2.5stls

Yeah Payton would've never worked with mcw, saric looked good in the world cup though. I kind of wanted the magic to keep him lol. I think Gordon and harkless would've helped hide his defensive deficiencies. A line up of dipo-hark-Gordon-saric-vuc seems really interesting to me. Honestly Payton was bad the first two games, and good the third, but nothing special. Not that these three games change my opinion about how great he's going to be, but he seems to be getting unwarranted praise right now.

BoSox47
11-04-2014, 03:45 AM
This guy comes back from a huge injury and is putting up insane overall numbers. He's averaging nearly a triple double:

Today:
7 points, 7 rebounds, 9 assists in 24 minutes.

Season:
8.5 points, 8.5 rebounds, 10 assists.

People want to talk about Lance, LeBron, etc., but is it farfetched to say Rondo can average a triple double this season?

he will never average a triple double, but he will certainly be top 3 in the league with lance and lebron in triple doubles if he stays healthy

BoSox47
11-04-2014, 03:48 AM
Rondo is like the reverse Peyton Manning. Air mails it in the regular season, stud in the playoffs.

Chrisclover
11-04-2014, 06:05 AM
He wont. While the majority of big men can't register 10 rebounds per game, what makes you think that Rondo, a PG who is neither the tallest nor the most athletic, can pull it off? I would say it couldn't even happen in the video game.

2-ONE-5
11-04-2014, 12:03 PM

No Lillard, Lawson, Conley and Dragic would be just behind Rondo

Ezio
11-04-2014, 12:28 PM

Ehhh if we're solely going off potential/past then Rose would be top 5 and I don't even put him in the top 10 until he goes for a "full" season... **** he already missed a game and 1/2. I like Rondo but I doubt GMs value him highly now. Before he was up there but now with a ton of young PGs coming up, Rondo has fallen and is forgotten.

leprechaun5
11-04-2014, 01:11 PM

No, they are better than Rondo.

5ass
11-04-2014, 01:39 PM
I'd take rondo in the play offs over all of them except lillard. Lillard is another guy that steps up in the play offs. I'd like to see them go head to head in a play off series.

2-ONE-5
11-04-2014, 01:55 PM
No, they are better than Rondo.

based on what? Lillard is the most overrated PG in the league right now, Lawson plays at one speed, Conley had his best season last year but prior to it never compared to Rondos all around game, and Dragic is a good scorer/play maker but not one of them excel at a level like we have seen Rondo reach

leprechaun5
11-04-2014, 02:04 PM
based on what? Lillard is the most overrated PG in the league right now, Lawson plays at one speed, Conley had his best season last year but prior to it never compared to Rondos all around game, and Dragic is a good scorer/play maker but not one of them excel at a level like we have seen Rondo reach

Based on numbers, age, games played over the last 2-3 seasons, shooting, FT%, consistency, behavior etc. You probably remember Rondo from games played on national TV, i have seen 80% of his games each and every season.

KnicksorBust
11-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Rondo has the least impressive triple double type numbers of all-time. First of all, I'm not that impressed with rebounding numbers from a PG unless you are a fast break machine which he is not. Second of all, averaging 8ppg on a FG%/TS% under 40% is embarrassing and clearly hurts your team. The assists is the only part that is actually commendable.

Oefarmy2005
11-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I would easily add Rubio to that list. Terrible scorer, but he can average something close to a triple-double.

amos1er
11-04-2014, 06:40 PM
I took a gamble and added him to my fantasy team this year and he has been great as far as assists and rebounds. Especially for a guard in the rebounding is good. However, his fg%, turnovers, and ft% have been abysmal. Needs to step up his scoring too.

5ass
11-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Rondo has the least impressive triple double type numbers of all-time. First of all, I'm not that impressed with rebounding numbers from a PG unless you are a fast break machine which he is not. Second of all, averaging 8ppg on a FG%/TS% under 40% is embarrassing and clearly hurts your team. The assists is the only part that is actually commendable.

You would be impressed if you needed your PG to rebound. The Celtics weren't a good rebounding team, if I'm not mistaken.

SeoulBeatz
11-04-2014, 07:25 PM

I just can't agree with this. He needs to be surrounded by good players in order to be successful. The Boston roster is one of the worst in the league. We've seen what he's capable when he has #1 and #2 scoring options around him. He has a poor attitude IMO and won't play up to his potential unless he knows he's on a contender. What's funny is I actually think he'd be a perfect fit in NYC.

Kaner
11-04-2014, 07:47 PM
I just can't agree with this. He needs to be surrounded by good players in order to be successful. The Boston roster is one of the worst in the league. We've seen what he's capable when he has #1 and #2 scoring options around him. He has a poor attitude IMO and won't play up to his potential unless he knows he's on a contender. What's funny is I actually think he'd be a perfect fit in NYC.

Rondo would tie with Rubio as the worst possible pg for the triangle, the most important thing and basically only thing you need from your pg offensively is 3pt shooting.

SeoulBeatz
11-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Rondo would tie with Rubio as the worst possible pg for the triangle, the most important thing and basically only thing you need from your pg offensively is 3pt shooting.

Yeah forgot they were running the "triangle". But you get the gist, he needs talent around him. He's not a spot up scorer by any means but he's a top 3 playmaker.

KnicksorBust
11-04-2014, 08:33 PM

What a cop out. The easiest thing in the world is to be a pass-first PG when you have Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett. I only wish we could have seen Ricky Rubio on that team just to see if he would have gotten the same love Rondo got.

The only thing I like about this post is it basically admits that Rondo needs to be your 3rd/4th best player for you to be relevant. It's about time we all came to that realization.

Yeah forgot they were running the "triangle". But you get the gist, he needs talent around him. He's not a spot up scorer by any means but he's a top 3 playmaker.

Why the Knicks' offense in quotes like it's make-believe? "Phil Jackson" and "Santa Clause" went off to "Never Never Land" with "Peter Pan" and learned the "triangle."

SeoulBeatz
11-04-2014, 09:01 PM
What a cop out. The easiest thing in the world is to be a pass-first PG when you have Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett. I only wish we could have seen Ricky Rubio on that team just to see if he would have gotten the same love Rondo got.

The only thing I like about this post is it basically admits that Rondo needs to be your 3rd/4th best player for you to be relevant. It's about time we all came to that realization.

Why the Knicks' offense in quotes like it's make-believe? "Phil Jackson" and "Santa Clause" went off to "Never Never Land" with "Peter Pan" and learned the "triangle."

Me too, just to show you that Rubio is not even in the same realm as Rondo. If you honestly think they're in the same league then I guess I'm done arguing with you. Rondo single handedly kept them in that playoff series in 09', the battles between him and Rose were especially epic. There's no way in hell Rubio would have matched that production.

And yes Rondo may have been the #3 or #4 scoring option but he was the #1 playmaker and without him the celts wouldn't have won nearly as many games as they did.

And let me reiterate, I have no reason to defend Rondo (i ****ing hated the guy), I just think it's easy to bash a good player when he's on a subpar team. Much like Melo on your Knicks last year.

hugepatsfan
11-05-2014, 12:17 AM
I think Rondo is very overrated by the masses but I do get a chuckle out of some of the criticism against him. The same people ripping him for giving up open layups for assists are the ones in the next post ripping him for not scoring enough. If he were taking those open layups he'd have more points, shoot a better percentage, etc.

hugepatsfan
11-05-2014, 12:20 AM

So does every player. Some guys are talented scorers but need defenders around them. Some are good passers and need finishers/shooters. Some need a pick and roll partner. Every player save for Lebron has weaknesses in their games that need to be compensated for by teammates. We just put scorers up on a pedestal so that makes Rondo look worse for needing scorers than we do the ones who need a different kind of help.

kobe4thewinbang
11-05-2014, 02:20 AM
He would be the next Magic Johnson if he could shoot. IF.

chi-townlove1
11-05-2014, 02:25 AM
Been saying it forever. And I HATE him because of the older Celtic days and their rivalry with the Bulls. RONDO is the BEST point guard in the NBA when fully healthy. The rest of these guys are oversized scoring point guards. Rondo is what every team needs. A defensive machine who facilitates an offense and hustles on each end of the court.

tredigs
11-05-2014, 02:43 AM
Why do you guys suppose Rondo has never been on a team with a top 5 offense? Lack of a formidable cast? Or maybe, they're just really easy to defend with a **** shooting PG.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Knight was close to two triple doubles this season already.

SportsFanatic10
11-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Been saying it forever. And I HATE him because of the older Celtic days and their rivalry with the Bulls. RONDO is the BEST point guard in the NBA when fully healthy. The rest of these guys are oversized scoring point guards. Rondo is what every team needs. A defensive machine who facilitates an offense and hustles on each end of the court.

no way is he the best pg, paul is plain and simple. and while rondo is a terrific passer, he fails to be able to take over a game with his scoring aside from every once in a long while, and his defense is overrated. the lack of any kind of jumpshot really hurts his value as his defender just plays off of him all the time. i do admire his rebounding and energy, he's good but the best? no way.

Sportfan
11-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Well he got the triple double tonight

9.25/9/12.5 average for the season

SeoulBeatz
11-05-2014, 11:08 PM

Still not better than Rubio...

leprechaun5
11-05-2014, 11:18 PM

4.5 turnovers, 42% shooting, 40% FT.

apocalypse15
11-05-2014, 11:31 PM
4.5 turnovers, 42% shooting, 40% FT.

Just imagine IF he could actually shoot. Have always wondered why he is a below average free throw and jump shooter. Does he really put in the work to make shots?

FlashBolt
11-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Rondo isn't a scorer - who cares? He's Jason Kidd on the boards, an elite passer, and one of the better PG defenders. This isn't about his scoring. It's whether or not he can average a trip-double. 10 points is achievable for Rondo.. let's be serious.

SeoulBeatz
11-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Rondo isn't a scorer - who cares? He's Jason Kidd on the boards, an elite passer, and one of the better PG defenders. This isn't about his scoring. It's whether or not he can average a trip-double. 10 points is achievable for Rondo.. let's be serious.

Exactly. He has ELITE passing skills, I would argue he's the best passer in the league, it's a toss up between him and CP3. People saying he's not a #1 option are missing the point about what makes him a special player.

FlashBolt
11-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Exactly. He has ELITE passing skills, I would argue he's the best passer in the league, it's a toss up between him and CP3. People saying he's not a #1 option are missing the point about what makes him a special player.

I believe you're right. They just don't understand that not every player has to be a scorer to dominate. Rondo can destroy you in many ways. Remember when people counted him out last season? Dude is straight balling right now. He's relentless on defense and though, he isn't much of a leader, you can't blame that on him. He came from a team in which KG, Allen, Pierce, and Doc were the leaders. It's just as much of an adjustment for him.

kobe4thewinbang
11-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Rondo isn't a scorer - who cares? He's Jason Kidd on the boards, an elite passer, and one of the better PG defenders. This isn't about his scoring. It's whether or not he can average a trip-double. 10 points is achievable for Rondo.. let's be serious.Yeah, but not being able to shoot well means passing to Jeff Green. Plus Rondo has become too passive. He used to drive more.

BoSox47
11-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Rondo with a Triple Double tonight in a loss to Toronto tonight

13 pts 15 assists 10 rebounds 5-8 shooting 3-4 free throws.

tredigs
11-06-2014, 02:20 AM
Rondo with a Triple Double tonight in a loss to Toronto tonight

13 pts 15 assists 10 rebounds 5-8 shooting 3-4 free throws.

And a loss @home where the opposing PG put up 35 on 12-17.

You guys are too caught up in box-score stats and underrating what a detriment it is to have a PG who allows a defense to sink into the paint.

Passing ability aside, he is simply not an elite offensive PG. Better not be allowing the opposing PG to put up 35 on a 90% TS% if that's one of your supposed strengths.

Oefarmy2005
11-06-2014, 03:32 PM

I would still argue that Rubio is a better passer than both, maybe not fundamentally, but the tough/ridiculous pass - Rubio is king.

LakersEaglesLA
11-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Rondo is a Champion! I take him over any point guard not named Tony Parker