PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant is <500 points away from becoming the All-Time RS Scoring Guard

P&GRealist
11-03-2014, 11:08 PM
The #1 all-time Leading Scorer is C Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at 38,387 points. (Bucks and Lakers)

#2 is PF Karl Malone at 36,928 points. (Jazz and Lakers)

#3 all time and the all time leading guard scorer in NBA History is SG Michael Jordan at 32,292 points. (Bulls and Wizards)

#4 currently all time and just 493 points away from becoming the all-time regular season scoring guard in history is SG Kobe Bryant currently at 31,799 points. (All with the Lakers)

Bryant currently in his first 4 games is averaging 24.8 PPG

At this pace, it would take Bryant about 19-20 more games to surpass Jordan. Meaning before the new year.

How many games do you think it will take?

tredigs
11-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Not that interested in this pseudo record. But it's certainly indicative of taking many shots for many years. And he does that well.

Weird time to make a thread about a non-record, though.

P&GRealist
11-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Not that interested in this pseudo record. But it's certainly indicative of taking many shots for many years. And he does that well.

Weird response to a thread where you absolutely didn't even attempt of answering the question.

Typical.

FlashBolt
11-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Weird response to a thread where you absolutely didn't even attempt of answering the question.

Typical.

Dude.. we're all aware of this. Let's wait for him to actually get closer rather than just wanting to talk about Kobe. We all know he's a legend so there is no reason for you to keep spreading Kobe around PSD like it's a flu.

tredigs
11-03-2014, 11:31 PM

Typical.

Sorry, thought my response was implied. It is, "who gives a ****".

Cal827
11-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Obligatory post baiting some of the posters and praising P&G.

Cal827
11-03-2014, 11:42 PM
I actually think that Kobe will start scoring at a slightly higher clip, possibly getting to over 30 per game. So I say between 14-17 games. Closer to the lesser, as I think he'll probably explode on someone again.

He also gets to see some of the Eastern conference, and teams that he usually does fairly well against coming up towards the end (E.g. Dallas, Toronto)

cmellofan15
11-04-2014, 12:52 AM
he'll break the record for most misses ever a lot sooner than he'll break this one.

barring anymore injuries he'll probably do it within 30 games.

IKnowHoops
11-04-2014, 01:38 AM
23 games

PowerHouse
11-04-2014, 02:22 AM

I can see how uninterested you are in this record. So uninterested that you came to the thread and posted a comment on your lack of interest. Makes perfect sense.

Leftcoast_yg
11-04-2014, 03:32 AM
I can see how uninterested you are in this record. So uninterested that you came to the thread and posted a comment on your lack of interest. Makes perfect sense.

Ha!

curtcocaine
11-04-2014, 03:37 AM

Typical.
Your next thread should be, and I quote:
HOW MANY MORE POINTLESS THREADS BEFORE P&GREALIST GETS BANNED?FOREVER.....

Chavacano
11-04-2014, 08:26 AM
How many games before Kobe gets injured again?

RLundi
11-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Nuthugger thread.

It's not an unimportant accomplishment but why do we need a thread celebrating it before it's even happened? And what's more, the accolade loses a bit of its luster considering a homer started the thread. Had a non-Laker fan presented this, I'd probably be more inclined to view it as semi-impressive but since it was started by a noted Kobe-lover, I view as contemptible.

Jamiecballer
11-04-2014, 12:29 PM

P&GRealist
11-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Nuthugger thread.

It's not an unimportant accomplishment but why do we need a thread celebrating it before it's even happened? And what's more, the accolade loses a bit of its luster considering a homer started the thread. Had a non-Laker fan presented this, I'd probably be more inclined to view it as semi-impressive but since it was started by a noted Kobe-lover, I view as contemptible.

Good story sis.

Now answer the question.

benzni
11-04-2014, 11:55 PM
26 games on 39% shooting..

Next thread idea, Kobe Bryant buys mint toothpaste at local supermarket. Fans in awe. Details at 11.

ewing
11-04-2014, 11:58 PM

its indicative of the fact that he is good at basketball

quade36
11-05-2014, 12:19 AM
And to think it only took him four more years.... Probably 200 more games....

Chrisclover
11-05-2014, 01:27 AM
20games?I dont expect him to contribute at a high level every night since his playing time may be restricted for protection.
I would be more excited when he is 100 points away from surpassing Jordan. Maybe you can start a similar thread by then.

tredigs
11-05-2014, 01:27 AM
its indicative of the fact that he is good at basketball

Correct.

IBleedPurple
11-05-2014, 01:44 AM
Obligatory post baiting some of the posters and praising P&G. Nobody will ever enforce the mega troll....the realist is a child and feeds off of bothering others and somehow thinking it makes him seem better to himself or amongst others...pretty basic stuff. Personally, I find it slightly annoying, more laughable, and even more pathetic. Can't fix others' problems not getting enough attention as a child/the ones who are looked up to most not achieving expectations.

P&GRealist
11-05-2014, 02:07 AM
They lost, but he dropped 39. Now, 454 points away.

Cal827
11-05-2014, 02:17 AM
Nobody will ever enforce the mega troll....the realist is a child and feeds off of bothering others and somehow thinking it makes him seem better to himself or amongst others...pretty basic stuff. Personally, I find it slightly annoying, more laughable, and even more pathetic. Can't fix others' problems not getting enough attention as a child/the ones who are looked up to most not achieving expectations.

:laugh: I have no idea what you're talking about man. P&G is Awesome :D

This thread is quite fair. We just had one coming up about Kobe about to set the record for most misses all time, so why not have one for him about to set the record for guards in overall points (as he's near that as well).

LA_Raiders
11-05-2014, 02:22 AM
15 more games, I hope we win 10 if those

tredigs
11-05-2014, 02:45 AM
Will he lap the most misses of all time before he gets to the most total points from an off-guard position or whatever. Inquiring minds need to know --

P&GRealist
11-05-2014, 02:50 AM
Will he lap the most misses of all time before he gets to the most total points from an off-guard position or whatever. Inquiring minds need to know --

Good question

hidalgo
11-05-2014, 03:11 AM
well well well, hero boy douchie brylant is back & looks completely uneffected by the achilles injury. most predictable thing of all time, i called this the night he got injured. basketball gods protect him no matter what. he could pop the same achilles & comeback uneffected. 0 chance he retires after 2 seasons, ZERO chance. hate him. i refuse to watch even 1 kb highlight for the rest of his career, which looks to be 5-6 more years. predictable as it gets

tredigs
11-05-2014, 03:13 AM
Serious question. Will Kobe attempt 100 more field goals before he gets 5 more assists?

For reference, tonight he had 37 attempts with 1 assist. Approached another NBA milestone with that one.

Lakers 0-5. Worst D in the NBA.

But who's counting ; )

alexander_37
11-05-2014, 03:31 AM
Pretty empty accomplishment, only took him about 200 more games and a few hundred extra shots and a thousand more free throws.

Duncan = Donkey
11-05-2014, 03:33 AM
He also has the most missed shots in NBA History:bow:

P&GRealist
11-05-2014, 03:52 AM
well well well, hero boy douchie brylant is back & looks completely uneffected by the achilles injury. most predictable thing of all time, i called this the night he got injured. basketball gods protect him no matter what. he could pop the same achilles & comeback uneffected. 0 chance he retires after 2 seasons, ZERO chance. hate him. i refuse to watch even 1 kb highlight for the rest of his career, which looks to be 5-6 more years. predictable as it gets

You forgot about coming back from a broken kneecap AFTER the Achilles injury/surgery. :D

P&GRealist
11-05-2014, 03:53 AM
He also has the most missed shots in NBA History:bow:

And he has more rings than your entire organization combined. :D

ThuglifeJ
11-05-2014, 04:13 AM
Why are ppl hatin on Kobe tnight? I understand his bad shooting % but does anyone actually watch the game? This laker team is awfull. You see Kobe trying to do everything out there, rebound defend score, all on a ton of minutes...it only adds up that he's gonna be exhausted and get little lift on his shot after all that. He looks beat out there but still finds a way to get buckets and give his team a chance when it counts.

Gotta say I am surprised he doesn't get star calls anymore..when did that start?

cg_la00
11-05-2014, 04:21 AM
Why are ppl hatin on Kobe tnight? I understand his bad shooting % but does anyone actually watch the game? This laker team is awfull. You see Kobe trying to do everything out there, rebound defend score, all on a ton of minutes...it only adds up that he's gonna be exhausted and get little lift on his shot after all that. He looks beat out there but still finds a way to get buckets and give his team a chance when it counts.

Gotta say I am surprised he doesn't get star calls anymore..when did that start?

you know why? because people dont watch the games anymore to see what players are doing in certain situations throughout the game. people just focus on the analytics of players now, which is ****in annoying tbh

Duncan = Donkey
11-05-2014, 04:31 AM
And he has more rings than your entire organization combined. :D

Cuts Deep:cheers:

Tony_Starks
11-05-2014, 04:39 PM
This is starting to remind me of the DAntoni year when Kobe got hurt. He basically had to do everything.

People can scoff at me but when Nick Young comes back it's going to be a big deal. He's the only other instant offense guy besides Kobe, and his defense actually improved last year....

RaiderLakersA's
11-05-2014, 04:49 PM
At this point, I could care less about all-time records. These things are usually the residue of greatness anyway, and not necessarily the hallmarks that people build them up to be.

I just want Kobe to remain healthy the entire year. That's it.

P&GRealist
11-05-2014, 05:18 PM
At this point, I could care less about all-time records. These things are usually the residue of greatness anyway, and not necessarily the hallmarks that people build them up to be.

I just want Kobe to remain healthy the entire year. That's it.

Here here! :cheers:

naps
11-06-2014, 05:09 AM
Well it won't take too many games if Kobe is taking 37 shots a game to score 39 points. 37 shots in modern basketball almost unheard of. Kobe is truly the last of this dying breed.

JIBM
11-06-2014, 05:38 AM
Well it won't take too many games if Kobe is taking 37 shots a game to score 39 points. 37 shots in modern basketball almost unheard of. Kobe is truly the last of this dying breed.

Did you even watch the game? Most of his shots were in the paint, they just weren't going in.
Heres the shot chart dont just look at the box score.

http://on.nba.com/1tGAsrM

naps
11-06-2014, 06:09 AM
They just weren't going in? What was that supposed to mean again? So you keep on shooting just because you are the best player on the team even though you are having an off-night shooting the ball? You know he had 1 assist? You know he has the talents to affect the game in many other ways rather than just jacking up shots after failed shots? Man, I knew those old excuses are gonna surface here as soon as I posted that. It's fun seeing kobe fans making excuses like "you didn't see the game (well, FYI I did. Don't assume you live with me)," "Kobe's teammates suck, can't make shots, are scared of taking shots etc." When Kobe takes 40 shots, Kobe is a warrior. When someone else takes 40 shots, he is padding stats.

nickdymez
11-06-2014, 11:01 AM
It seems that some people don't realize that the Lakers have 0 people on this team that can create offense for themselves.

P&GRealist
11-07-2014, 05:37 AM
They just weren't going in? What was that supposed to mean again? So you keep on shooting just because you are the best player on the team even though you are having an off-night shooting the ball? You know he had 1 assist? You know he has the talents to affect the game in many other ways rather than just jacking up shots after failed shots? Man, I knew those old excuses are gonna surface here as soon as I posted that. It's fun seeing kobe fans making excuses like "you didn't see the game (well, FYI I did. Don't assume you live with me)," "Kobe's teammates suck, can't make shots, are scared of taking shots etc." When Kobe takes 40 shots, Kobe is a warrior. When someone else takes 40 shots, he is padding stats.

Thank you!!!

thenaj17
11-07-2014, 07:29 AM
Yeh you clearly didn't watch any of the game. 37 shots is a hell of a lot but only 3-4 of those were forced. A couple 3 attempts were heaves with very little time on the clock and no-one else was making anything in the 2nd half. It's embarrassing the scrubs Kobe is having to play with, Jordan Hill is our 2nd best player. Is there another team in the league Hill would actually start on, let alone be their 2nd best player?

I've been frustrated in the past with Kobe's shot selection but this game really wasn't that bad.

P&GRealist
11-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Lance Stephenson gonna blow in Kobe's ear tomorrow and make him shoot 8/28.

Chronz
11-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Dude IS hogging tho. I think it would be in the best interest of the team to tone it down just a tad. I felt this way when MJ was donning a Wiz jersey too. I understand giving everything you got offensively, especially when you can rarely impact the game defensively, but there is such a thing as too much assertiveness.

That said, the Lakers problems havent stemmed from the offense, its actually pretty good so long as Kobe and Lin are around, but man they cant stop anyone. Theres no hope for improvement either, they play ****** defenders alot of minutes and they have a poor defensive coach, I really dont know how he got the rep of a defensive minded guy. Unless they play Ed Davis, they will remain the worst (by far) defensive team.

P&GRealist
11-09-2014, 12:57 AM
Dude IS hogging tho. I think it would be in the best interest of the team to tone it down just a tad. I felt this way when MJ was donning a Wiz jersey too. I understand giving everything you got offensively, especially when you can rarely impact the game defensively, but there is such a thing as too much assertiveness.

That said, the Lakers problems havent stemmed from the offense, its actually pretty good so long as Kobe and Lin are around, but man they cant stop anyone. Theres no hope for improvement either, they play ****** defenders alot of minutes and they have a poor defensive coach, I really dont know how he got the rep of a defensive minded guy. Unless they play Ed Davis, they will remain the worst (by far) defensive team.

I don't understand why Carlos Loozer is starting when he gives absolutely jack **** on both ends of the floor.

Give me Ed and Jordan as the starting 4 and 5 with Sacre as our 3rd big.

ManRam
11-09-2014, 01:13 AM
Kobe is the longevity god. No slander here. #Respect.

P&GRealist
11-09-2014, 01:20 AM
Kobe is the longevity god. No slander here. #Respect.

What's impressive about this whole thing that put aside the inefficiency and "chuckiness"....

The guy has the ability and stamina in that old body of his to still put up that many shots. The guy to this day, despite the career-threatening injuries so late in his career, still manages to make the defense look silly from time to time. He can still school the youngins of this game. He still has the fundamental footwork, the timing, the jumper, the form. He's made adjustments in his release.

If people have been watching his games, he's more catch-and-shoot now than he ever has been. He adds a new element to his game, whether it'd be season 9 or season 19. It's just ridiculous how hard the guy works on his craft and how successful he comes out to be on the NBA court from an individual perspective. The guy is still able to pull down 5+ boards a game and matching his career average of 1.6 SPG.

Individually, he looks really really good, and that's a true testament to his hard work.

%%%%
11-09-2014, 01:53 AM
After 1998, Jordan had only 29,000. Kobe would have passed him already if not for Jordan's Wizards work (which was a waste).

Munkeysuit
11-09-2014, 01:59 AM
Much props to the Black Mamba, very well deserving of this crowning achievement.

Chronz
11-09-2014, 12:25 PM
What's impressive about this whole thing that put aside the inefficiency and "chuckiness"....

The guy has the ability and stamina in that old body of his to still put up that many shots. The guy to this day, despite the career-threatening injuries so late in his career, still manages to make the defense look silly from time to time. He can still school the youngins of this game. He still has the fundamental footwork, the timing, the jumper, the form. He's made adjustments in his release.

If people have been watching his games, he's more catch-and-shoot now than he ever has been. He adds a new element to his game, whether it'd be season 9 or season 19. It's just ridiculous how hard the guy works on his craft and how successful he comes out to be on the NBA court from an individual perspective. The guy is still able to pull down 5+ boards a game and matching his career average of 1.6 SPG.

Individually, he looks really really good, and that's a true testament to his hard work.
Advances in the medical field deserve some props, its similar to Nique coming back from the same injury and being a better overall player, some guys just have that stamina.

And I've watched every game, not sure I would agree with your opinion. I dont think hes more catch and shoot now than hes ever been, unless by that you mean hes setting his game up more with off the ball play and then going into his iso mode, I dont know if thats true or not but I do know by the literal definition of catching and shooting, 4.8 of his 24.4 FGA are of that variety, and his eFG% on all catch and shoot situations is a lowly 41.7%. The vast majority of his shots are still taken with defenders draped on him and his ability to create separation is compounded by that buffoon of a coach who refuses to stress 3pt shooting.

Maybe it just seems like hes doing more catching and shooting because hes doing more of just about everything when it comes to chucking these days. His defense has never looked worse IMO but maybe we dont count that as an individual quality considering the lack of defense played by the entire team but if thats the case then his steal numbers mean jack.

I do think if the team could help him out some more that we would see league average levels of efficiency instead of this disastrous level, I just dont think we'll ever see a return to a bonafide #1 option caliber star. Theres very few of them remaining as it is but I would be more impressed if Kobe could settle into a lower role and be super efficient as a result. I dont think we'll ever get the chance to find out. I dont have faith in the Lakers management to find that support, and I dont think Kobe has the humility to accept a far lesser role unless it comes through the presence of that star player.