PDA

View Full Version : Kobe shoots down idea of eventual trade: 'I'm extremely loyal to the Lakers'

amos1er
11-03-2014, 09:56 PM
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/620569

Here are some excerpts from What Kobe said...

"I hear the chatter of Kobe should ask out and he should go and play for a contender in this latter stage of his career. But that's not what I do. I'm extremely loyal to the Lakers."

"I believe in fighting through the tough times as well as enjoying the good times. It's my responsibility to get us to be the best that we can be. It's important that we approach that on a day-to-day basis."

"I've enjoyed a great amount of success here," Bryant said. "You can't just enjoy the successful times and then run away from the bad ones. No, I don't even think about [departing]. I'm a Laker."

The last of a dying breed for sure. A true champion and teammate who will stick it out when the going get tough. Much respect. :clap:

Jeffy25
11-03-2014, 10:03 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/3446/kobe-bryant-says-he-d-like-to-be-traded

The story lines that have engulfed the Los Angeles Lakers in the last week hit a crescendo Wednesday when Kobe Bryant said he would welcome a trade.

"I would like to be traded, yeah," Bryant said on 1050 ESPN Radio in New York. "Tough as it is to come to that conclusion there's no other alternative, you know?"

Bryant, interviewed by Stephen A. Smith, was asked if there was anything the Lakers could do to change his mind?

"No," Bryant said. "I just want them to do the right thing."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li52iOIFA6M

Hawkeye15
11-03-2014, 10:17 PM
I would be really disappointed in the Lakers (like I don't hate them already, but at least respect them), if they traded Kobe.

He isn't going anywhere.

amos1er
11-03-2014, 10:22 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/3446/kobe-bryant-says-he-d-like-to-be-traded

Once again you are taking things out of context... That whole mess was drummed up by false reports of Kobe being the main cause in Shaq leaving according to a "Lakers Insider" who many believe to have been Jim Buss. Kobe was angry, he said some stuff. However, Kobe also later took back what he said in that Stephen A. Smith interview you posted and came on Dan Patrick and said that he wanted to retire a Laker... Here are some excerpts from the stuff you conveniently left out...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2886927

Kobe was retaliating to false reports from this "Lakers Insider" initially...

Bryant was left "beyond furious" by a report in Tuesday's Los Angeles Times that read, "as a Lakers insider notes, it was Bryant's insistence on getting away from Shaquille O'Neal that got them in this mess."

Here is what Kobe said on Dan Patrick following his angry outburst on the Stephen A. Smith show...

"I'm so tired of talking," Bryant said. "It's tough. I always dreamed about retiring as a Laker. I just hope and hope that something can be resolved. Something can be figured out. Just something so I can stay here and be in this city and be with the team I love."

Bryant told Patrick he talked to Jackson after talking to Smith and felt resassured.

"When Phil and I spoke, he was optimistic and determined that we'll both be back," Bryant told Patrick. "Phil is somebody I listen to. I lean on him a lot. He assured me things are going to be OK. Things are going to be all right. Don't go full bore just yet. Take a deep breath and let us work these things out and everything will be all right. Which was very encouraging.

"I don't want to go anywhere else. I want to be here for the rest of my career. It was encouraging to hear that."

Later Monday, he had two different messages for the Los Angeles-area media.

"I can only hope that they do something because I don't want to go no place else. I don't want to," he told radio station KLAC. "I want to stay here. I hope they can do something."

Here is what Kobe said about what really happened with the whole Shaq trade and why he was so pissed off...

In response to the Times' story, Bryant, interviewed by Smith for a Philadelphia Inquirer column, said Buss "called a meeting with me after he spoke with Jim Gray [of ESPN] to talk with him about Shaq's future in the middle of the 2004 season.

"He met with me at the Four Seasons Hotel here [in Newport Beach, Calif.] across from Fashion Island, which is now the Island Hotel," Bryant told Smith. "I went up to his penthouse suite. looks me dead in the face and says: 'Kobe, I am not going to re-sign Shaq. I am not about to pay him $30 million a year or $80 million over three years. No way in hell. I feel like he's getting older. His body is breaking down, and I don't want to pay that money to him when I can get value for him right now rather than wait.

"This is my decision. It's independent of you. My mind is made up. It doesn't matter to me what you do in free agency because I do not want to pay [Shaq], period.'"

"Dr. Buss said that," Bryant told Smith. "And I haven't said anything for years because I've always felt like folks were just looking to create controversy. Now I know. I realize what extent [the Lakers] will go to, to cover themselves."

Here is what Shaq had to say about Kobe's interpretation...

Reached afterward, O'Neal told Smith that he believed his former teammate to be beyond reproach.

[B]"I believe Kobe 100 percent," O'Neal said when reached in Los Angeles. "Absolutely. There's no doubt in my mind Kobe is telling the truth. I believe him a thousand percent.

"I would have respected Dr. Buss more as a man if he would have told me that himself, because I know he said it. But he didn't [tell me]. He never said a damn word to me."

So yes, Kobe was annoyed that this "Lakers Insider" was spreading false propaganda about him (most likely Jim Buss) and as a result, said some things in the moment that he later went back on and regretted saying. Yes, he did want the team to get better... Did he leave... NO.

When Kobe was a free agent back in the summer of 2004 did he leave... NO.

Did Kobe re-up when he could have gone somewhere else to chase rings in the twilight of his career just this last season... NO.

Is Kobe now demanding a trade when is team is sucking and the popular opinion is that he should request a trade to try and win number six... NO.

Case closed.

Jeffy25
11-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Once again you are taking things out of context... That whole mess was drummed up by false reports of Kobe being the main cause in Shaq leaving according to a "Lakers Insider" who many believe to have been Jim Buss. Kobe was angry, he said some stuff. However, Kobe also later took back what he said in that Stephen A. Smith interview you posted and came on Dan Patrick and said that he wanted to retire a Laker... Here are some excerpts from the stuff you conveniently left out...

Here is what Kobe said on Dan Patrick following his angry outburst on the Stephen A. Smith show...

Here is what Kobe said about what really happened with the whole Shaq trade and why he was so pissed off...

So yes, Kobe was annoyed that this "Lakers Insider" spreading false propaganda about him (most likely Jim Buss) and said some things in the moment that he later went back on and regretted saying. Yes, he did want the team to get better... Did he leave... NO.

Did Kobe re-up when he could have gone somewhere else to chase rings in the twilight of his career just this last season... NO.

Case closed.

well I didn't try to take anything as anything.

I just shared links from when Kobe said 'I would like to be traded, yeah'

Vinny642
11-03-2014, 10:37 PM
LMAO more Kobe threads

TDE
11-03-2014, 10:47 PM

"Tough as it is to come to that conclusion, there's no other alternative"

MassoDio
11-03-2014, 10:49 PM
It's good to see Kobe come out and say that publicly.

Whether or not it is true behind closed doors means nothing right now. At this moment, this is the most respectable thing he can do. As little as it will help in killing these types of stories, it is at least an effort in doing so. Good for Kobe.

I would love to see him stay with the Lakers for his whole career. It will be a positive in a career full of them. (Regardless of the 2007 comments. Kobe is in a different place in life, and has most likely learned from that.)

P&GRealist
11-03-2014, 10:53 PM

So yes, Kobe was annoyed that this "Lakers Insider" was spreading false propaganda about him (most likely Jim Buss) and as a result, said some things in the moment that he later went back on and regretted saying. Yes, he did want the team to get better... Did he leave... NO.

Is Kobe now demanding a trade when is team is sucking and the popular opinion is that he should request a trade to try and win number six... NO.

Case closed.
Good stuff

bucketss
11-03-2014, 11:05 PM
unfortunately not a good thing for the lakers, now they're stuck with his contract. now lakers will probably hope he retires soon.

P&GRealist
11-03-2014, 11:13 PM
unfortunately not a good thing for the lakers, now they're stuck with his contract. now lakers will probably hope he retires soon.

They offered it to him. And he took it. Not sure what you're getting at. Kobe is a money making Jackpot for the Busses. I'm pretty sure the Busses are okay with not winning crap for the next few yrs as they get every little ounce of talent of what's left of that body for their financial reasons.

Byronicle
11-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Politically correct

Cal827
11-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Well, I hope he does stay with the team. Despite the likelihood that his contract is currently crippling the team, Kobe has done a ton for the Laker team, (and the NBA as a whole, as look at some of the revenue/tv deals that the team generated from him being the poster boy), and if anyone deserves to be overpaid at that time in their life for their contributions to the league, it's definitely him.

It would be odd seeing him finish up in another Jersey. Also, whoever would want him, would have to pretty much sell the market still, as he would bring in a ton of revenue (think if Lebron was traded in the middle of the year, to some of the younger fans).

Kobe played his first game as a Laker, he should end wearing the same in my opinion.

Bruno
11-04-2014, 01:29 AM

smartest off the court move he's made in the NBA. it worked.

he didn't leave, he just provided enough pressure. it can't be used to criticized his loyalty, it was a savvy move.

Mr_Jones
11-04-2014, 02:04 AM

Case closed.

I've never actually seen a few of those articles before.

5ass
11-04-2014, 02:12 AM

he didn't leave, he just provided enough pressure. it can't be used to criticized his loyalty, it was a savvy move.

LeBron made the smartest move for the Cavs too if you think about it.

Chavacano
11-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Loyal to the phat paycheck.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-04-2014, 10:36 AM
LMAO more Kobe threads

Yeah I thought I already posted in a new Kobe trade thread yesterday. De'ja' vu. Maybe it was the Laker board.

Sactown
11-04-2014, 06:29 PM
I hate these type of threads, it's easy to stay loyal when your 37 and have 5 rings... He almost didn't stick it out a decade ago in his prime because he didn't want to work it out with the most dominate player in the league...

To give him credit over Karl Malone, KG, Bron, and many others is silly, some players are stuck in purgatory, Kobe was luckily not one of them

KnicksorBust
11-04-2014, 06:36 PM
You know he's getting the Magic Johnson when all is said and done. He's not dumb enough to screw that up.

amos1er
11-04-2014, 06:51 PM
I hate these type of threads, it's easy to stay loyal when your 37 and have 5 rings... He almost didn't stick it out a decade ago in his prime because he didn't want to work it out with the most dominate player in the league...

To give him credit over Karl Malone, KG, Bron, and many others is silly, some players are stuck in purgatory, Kobe was luckily not one of them

You act as if Malone, KG, Lebron, and many others didn't have any opportunities.

Tony_Starks
11-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Kobe is a Laker for life. All of us Laker fans knew this already. He is definitely the last of a dying breed. We take the good with the bad, if that means having a bad season so be it.

raiderfaninTX
11-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Kobe is a Laker for life. All of us Laker fans knew this already. He is definitely the last of a dying breed. We take the good with the bad, if that means having a bad season so be it.

That's the equivalent of saying yeah you can live in my house, spend all my money, **** my wife, and eat my food. All because you're a good guy because you won't leave my house as long as you get to do that

Avenged
11-04-2014, 10:19 PM

The story lines that have engulfed the Los Angeles Lakers in the last week hit a crescendo Wednesday when Kobe Bryant said he would welcome a trade.

"I would like to be traded, yeah," Bryant said on 1050 ESPN Radio in New York. "Tough as it is to come to that conclusion there's no other alternative, you know?"

Bryant, interviewed by Stephen A. Smith, was asked if there was anything the Lakers could do to change his mind?

"No," Bryant said. "I just want them to do the right thing."

Cool. Let all live like it's 7 years ago.

Jeffy25
11-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Cool. Let all live like it's 7 years ago.

It's more in response to this

The last of a dying breed for sure. A true champion and teammate who will stick it out when the going get tough. Much respect. :clap:

Let's not act like this is true for a moment.

SF8
11-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Well the Lakers did pay him 10x more than he deserves so least he can do is stay loyal to them.

FriedTofuz
11-04-2014, 11:28 PM
I dont see why it's relevant to bring up something kobe "apparently said " 7 years ago. CLearly that is out og context, and also that source was misleading, good on the rocket fan for quoting the real stuff.

Sactown
11-05-2014, 12:31 AM
You act as if Malone, KG, Lebron, and many others didn't have any opportunities.

Did they have oppurtunities? Absolutely they did get a few runs in that would classify them as contenders ( LeBron, Malone, KG in this other) , but none of them had the luxury of being the 2nd fiddle or 1B or even 1A to any of these runs , it was them or nothing in every single one of those runs. With maybe the exception of Malone who had a great offensive PG in John S. You act as if they players had the luxuries Kobe and Tim Duncan had in there careers

SanAntonioSpurs23
11-05-2014, 02:15 AM
Just a matter of time before this dude fakes an injury.

FriedTofuz
11-05-2014, 02:48 AM

Why would he do that? why are people so negative? Kobe knows he's not winning a championship but it doesnt mean he wont wanna play the game that he's passionate about. Also, He cant have a chance at the scoring title if he doesnt play ;)

RaiderLakersA's
11-05-2014, 05:07 PM
That's the equivalent of saying yeah you can live in my house, spend all my money, **** my wife, and eat my food. All because you're a good guy because you won't leave my house as long as you get to do that

Except, one of the reasons why you have the house, and multiple infinity pools, and the pro golf course in your backyard, and the Bentleys in the driveway, and the private jet is because of the guy that's living in your house, spending your money, ****ing your wife and eating your food. :eyebrow:

Sometimes you do accept the good with the bad if the cost-benefit ratio merits it.

P&GRealist
11-05-2014, 05:16 PM

Maybe his coach needs to give him a couple DNP OLDs :rolleyes:

Tony_Starks
11-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Lakers start losing- "Kobe is going to demand a trade!"

Kobe publicly expressed his loyalty to the Lakers even though they're losing- "Of course, because they paid him!"

So basically there's nothing Kobe can do right. Gotcha!

SportsFanatic10
11-05-2014, 05:56 PM
kobe won't be traded imo...but if he decides to play past his contract i could see where he might decide to leave as a free agent for one last shot at a 6th ring. this article makes a bit of sense...

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/04/would-kobe-bryant-leave-lakers-as-free-agent-in-2016/comment-page-1/

aman_13
11-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Kobe likes to shoot a lot.

amos1er
11-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Did they have oppurtunities? Absolutely they did get a few runs in that would classify them as contenders ( LeBron, Malone, KG in this other) , but none of them had the luxury of being the 2nd fiddle or 1B or even 1A to any of these runs , it was them or nothing in every single one of those runs. With maybe the exception of Malone who had a great offensive PG in John S. You act as if they players had the luxuries Kobe and Tim Duncan had in there careers

Lebron was second fiddle back in 2011... He just screwed it up completely.

Not to mention that his second and third fiddle in 2012 and 2013 were the best second third fiddle of all-time. Ray Allen saved him in 2013 from one of the biggest upsets in finals history and him losing in the fashion that he did in five games last season with all that talent at his side was pretty damaging to his legacy no matter how much denial people want to be in about it.

Bruno
11-05-2014, 06:22 PM
LeBron made the smartest move for the Cavs too if you think about it.

i agree.

SportsFanatic10
11-05-2014, 06:26 PM

Not to mention that his second and third fiddle in 2012 and 2013 were the best second third fiddle of all-time. Ray Allen saved him in 2013 from one of the biggest upsets in finals history and him losing in the fashion that he did in five games last season with all that talent at his side was pretty damaging to his legacy no matter how much denial people want to be in about it.

save your nonsense for the thread you already made on that subject.

P&GRealist
11-05-2014, 06:33 PM
kobe won't be traded imo...but if he decides to play past his contract i could see where he might decide to leave as a free agent for one last shot at a 6th ring. this article makes a bit of sense...

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/04/would-kobe-bryant-leave-lakers-as-free-agent-in-2016/comment-page-1/
A 6th ring somewhere else is MEANINGLESS if you're Kobe Bryant. He's not LeBron to just go to the next best situation for winning rings.

SportsFanatic10
11-05-2014, 06:35 PM
A 6th ring somewhere else is MEANINGLESS if you're Kobe Bryant. He's not LeBron to just go to the next best situation for winning rings.

he's wanted to before, just saying...

the frustration of losing could begin to take it's toll. i'm not saying he will or even that i think he will. just that i could see it happening.

RaiderLakersA's
11-05-2014, 07:34 PM
he's wanted to before, just saying...

the frustration of losing could begin to take it's toll. i'm not saying he will or even that i think he will. just that i could see it happening.

Bah, he was young and full of piss and vinegar back then. That's not today's Kobe. I'm not saying that he wouldn't be tempted to go elsewhere, I just think it would be damn near impossible for him to actually go.

Sactown
11-05-2014, 07:41 PM

Your argument is far from valid since we were talking about Lebron in Cleveland , but okay, in 2011 Lebron was the best player on that team and there's no debating that, he fell apart in the finals and I do agree he is responsible for that loss, but so is Wade... Look at his close out game numbers against Dallas he played like crap.

In 2012 bosh and Wade were injured missing plenty of games and were hardly affective when they were in there.. Were they the best 2nd and 3rd option ever? Hardly... That's a clear exaggeration .. Easy to argue since 2011 Wade has been less affective than Pippen was on those Bulls rosters, but yet again regardless I doubt I'll change your mind..

How about Kobe Bryant's game 7 against the Celtics, Pau and Ron Ron seemed to save his *** regularly in there last two playoff runs.. Without them Kobes legacy seems like he's only capable of winning when he has the leagues best front court on his side.. But his fan bases seems to be in denial about that..

Btw I'm a Kings fan I could give two ***** if Lebron sucdeeds , all i care about is my team winning, which makes me an objective observer and you a subjective kobe Bryant defender

abe_froman
11-05-2014, 07:48 PM

naw,his goal right now is to move up on all time counting lists(games,points,ect.)

RLundi
11-05-2014, 08:20 PM
That's because no one else wants him. Hell, the Lakers don't even want, where is he going to go?

P&GRealist
11-05-2014, 08:32 PM
That's because no one else wants him. Hell, the Lakers don't even want, where is he going to go?

That's why they just threw $48.5M at him 6 months removed from Achilles surgery for ***** sake.

Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Chronz
11-06-2014, 03:18 AM

Savvy? Never understood this angle from some Laker fans. The man was pissed that the team didn't trade Bynum away for the likes of Kidd and Jermaine, 2 moves that in retrospect would have crippled the Lakers. He later admitted he was wrong for questioning management.

I remember thinking around that time that Kobe didn't know how the cap worked if he felt the team could rebuild as quickly as he said they promised.

Chronz
11-06-2014, 03:22 AM
As for the topic, well its pretty much over for him as a superstar so I can see why he would settle into a get dem checks mode but I've learned not to take Kobe's word for anything regarding his career so Im not buying that he would never leave. Hes already asked out before when he said the Lakers lied to him about their plans during his FA, and felt they weren't aggressive enough in their pursuit of talent over the years. There was talk about him wanting to go to Chicago but he wouldn't allow any trade that sent Deng in a trade.

abe_froman
11-06-2014, 03:26 AM
As for the topic, well its pretty much over for him as a superstar so I can see why he would settle into a get dem checks mode but I've learned not to take Kobe's word for anything regarding his career so Im not buying that he would never leave. Hes already asked out before when he said the Lakers lied to him about their plans during his FA, and felt they weren't aggressive enough in their pursuit of talent over the years. There was talk about him wanting to go to Chicago but he wouldn't allow any trade that sent Deng in a trade.
that depressed me.we were so close...and they landed gasol(another top trade target for the bulls) a few months after

Chronz
11-06-2014, 03:32 AM
that depressed me.we were so close...and they landed gasol(another top trade target for the bulls) a few months after

You guys should have traded Deng for KG or Pau. Seemed like the only player they were willing to let go for Deng was Kobe and that was the one player in the NBA who could block a potential trade.

bleedprple&gold
11-06-2014, 03:35 AM
Savvy? Never understood this angle from some Laker fans. The man was pissed that the team didn't trade Bynum away for the likes of Kidd and Jermaine, 2 moves that in retrospect would have crippled the Lakers. He later admitted he was wrong for questioning management.

I remember thinking around that time that Kobe didn't know how the cap worked if he felt the team could rebuild as quickly as he said they promised.

They ended up getting nothing for Bynum anyway so don't really see how those moves would have been crippling.

Chronz
11-06-2014, 03:41 AM
They ended up getting nothing for Bynum anyway so don't really see how those moves would have been crippling.

Yea like years later, you still enjoyed the only dominant stretches of ball Bynum ever had, you also got an extra year of Dwight Howard which was worth the gamble.

The only thing worse than getting nothing (years later after already reaping the benefits) is getting stuck with the contract of a guy far worse than what you gave up.

Do you remember how much Jermaine was making at the time? His cost to production ratio was cancerous.

abe_froman
11-06-2014, 03:46 AM
You guys should have traded Deng for KG or Pau. Seemed like the only player they were willing to let go for Deng was Kobe and that was the one player in the NBA who could block a potential trade.
we tried for kg,but mchale then kg(who had a ntc at the time)turned down everything we offered.not including deng for pau i get the thinking still(he needed a running mate,and deng had so much potential at the time),but we did include everything but for him.

P&GRealist
11-06-2014, 03:50 AM
Yea like years later, you still enjoyed the only dominant stretches of ball Bynum ever had, you also got an extra year of Dwight Howard which was worth the gamble.

The only thing worse than getting nothing (years later after already reaping the benefits) is getting stuck with the contract of a guy far worse than what you gave up.

Do you remember how much Jermaine was making at the time? His cost to production ratio was cancerous.

The only times Bynum was dominant for us was the 2007-08 season leading up to his January 2008 injury, and the 2010-2011 season when he took over the reigns down low, cramping Pau and the entire Laker team's style as Jim Buss demanded that Phil feature him more (and subsequently blocked the Bynum + Artest for Melo + Harrington trade at the 2011 trade deadline).

In 2008-2009 and 2009-2010, he was more of a defensive clog for us with flashes of dominance every 7 or 8 games of the actual total amount of games he played those 2 seasons.

RLundi
11-06-2014, 06:34 AM
That's why they just threw $48.5M at him 6 months removed from Achilles surgery for ***** sake.

Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Haha, don't be an idiot. The Lakers were COMPELLED to sign him. If you don't relize that, you are a bigger homer than I originally considered.