PDA

View Full Version : Knicks Pacers have discussed JR Smith/Chris Copeland trade

spreadeagle
11-03-2014, 06:14 PM
The Knicks are making every effort to maximize 2015 cap space.

They convinced Carmelo Anthony to take a smaller raise. They didn’t give Iman Shumpert a contract extension. They even declined Shane Larkin’s third-year team option, a rare move.

So you better believe they want to dump J.R. Smith before he can exercise his $6,399,750 player option for 2015-16.

Marc Berman of the New York Post:

One of president Phil Jackson’s big decisions this season is whether to trade J.R. Smith, and the club had recent conversations with the Pacers regarding ex-Knick Chris Copeland, according to a league source.

According to a source, Jackson has no plans to make any deals until Dec. 15 — a key NBA date as 2014 free-agent signees and 2014 draft picks are eligible to be traded.

A Copeland-Smith trade wouldn’t work under the CBA, though adding C.J. Watson’s expiring contract would make the trade allowable.

The bigger issue: Copeland is on a more team-friendly contract than Smith and arguably better on the court. The early returns on Copeland, playing a bigger role with the Pacers, are positive. He’s averaging 16.0 points per game this season. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/03/report-knicks-pacers-talked-j-r-smith-chris-copeland-trade/

PacersForLife
11-03-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm pretty sure somebody just made this up, don't see any reason we would want J.R.

Bruno
11-03-2014, 06:22 PM
makes a lot of sense for the Knicks. they ditch smiths contract, which he's likely to opt into next season. they save money next year while opening up a spot on the floor for Tim Hardaway Jr. Copland will provide spacing in the trinagle.

but i don't see a million years why Larry would want JR Smith.

abe_froman
11-03-2014, 06:25 PM
why would indy do this?

KnicksorBust
11-03-2014, 09:14 PM
makes a lot of sense for the Knicks. they ditch smiths contract, which he's likely to opt into next season. they save money next year while opening up a spot on the floor for Tim Hardaway Jr. Copland will provide spacing in the trinagle.

Bingo. JR is a low iq player with a deal that limits our 2015 FA space. He needs to go. If they can get an expiring thats good enough for me.

Cal827
11-04-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm not trying to bait, but it's articles like this that lead to people disliking the particular teams. It's just like in Hockey, where reports say the Leafs can just pry anybody off another's team by dealing out **** (I'm a Leaf fan, and it gets annoying reading the dumb articles).

Why would Indiana trade away a guy who has major issues keeping his head on straight, has a bad contract, and has struggled with his shot since winning 6th man of the year (and a random expiring) for a younger guy, with a nicer contract, with more upside, and is doing pretty well this season? the Knicks are gonna have to ante up to get Copeland back, but I'm not sure exactly how they would (unless they are willing to send away one of their prospects too).

xxplayerxx23
11-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Copeland blows^ it would be a salary dump for the knicks. Indy I guess want a scorer :shrug: don't think there's any chance of this happening

Cal827
11-04-2014, 12:34 AM
Copeland blows^ it would be a salary dump for the knicks. Indy I guess want a scorer :shrug: don't think there's any chance of this happening

:laugh: Well, they gotta make sure you have more time out there on the court :D

xxplayerxx23
11-04-2014, 12:56 AM
:laugh: Well, they gotta make sure you have more time out there on the court :D

I'll get my time fisher said soon. I got some "ankle issues" they are saving me for Demar and Kyle Lowry shutdown :p

ball4reel
11-04-2014, 01:38 AM
That's a joke if you think Cop is a better player the JR.

setman2000
11-04-2014, 01:45 AM
2 words: Who cares?

Quinnsanity
11-04-2014, 02:41 AM

... To make Lance jealous?

NYKnickFanatic
11-04-2014, 08:22 AM
I'm not trying to bait, but it's articles like this that lead to people disliking the particular teams. It's just like in Hockey, where reports say the Leafs can just pry anybody off another's team by dealing out **** (I'm a Leaf fan, and it gets annoying reading the dumb articles).

Why would Indiana trade away a guy who has major issues keeping his head on straight, has a bad contract, and has struggled with his shot since winning 6th man of the year (and a random expiring) for a younger guy, with a nicer contract, with more upside, and is doing pretty well this season? the Knicks are gonna have to ante up to get Copeland back, but I'm not sure exactly how they would (unless they are willing to send away one of their prospects too).

1. JR's contract isn't bad.
2. JR Smith is younger than Copeland.
3. Copeland has more upside?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-04-2014, 08:53 AM
This is just as bad as when Knicks tried to pawn JR Smith to Milwaukee for Mayo last season. That was shot down immediately. Was funny.

Goose17
11-04-2014, 11:15 AM
LOL. Without PG13 I bet JR would average about 20 FGA per game.

ball4reel
11-04-2014, 07:31 PM
This is just as bad as when Knicks tried to pawn JR Smith to Milwaukee for Mayo last season. That was shot down immediately. Was funny.

Whats funny is you mentioning OJ Mayo

Cal827
11-05-2014, 02:25 AM
I'll get my time fisher said soon. I got some "ankle issues" they are saving me for Demar and Kyle Lowry shutdown :p

Oh don't worry about that, after watching the game today, I think they will do enough to shut themselves down lol

Cal827
11-05-2014, 02:32 AM
1. JR's contract isn't bad.
2. JR Smith is younger than Copeland.
3. Copeland has more upside?

1. If I'm not mistaken, isn't there also a trade kicker on his deal? It's only for one year, but I highly doubt that he'll decline the player option.

2. My mistake, I thought he was 25 for some reason. Should have looked of looked it up

3. As I now recognize that Copeland isn't young lol, maybe not upside, but might work better in his role. JR is kinda stubborn. He'll adjust temporarily, but you will always worry that he'll decide to go nuts himself (kinda like Josh Smith in Detroit).

Either way, Indiana is gonna probably want more than just an expiring/JR for Copeland. They look like they are gonna be playing for the draft this upcoming year.

kobe4thewinbang
11-05-2014, 02:33 AM
What are the Pacers thinking? Copeland has good energy, will probably improve and JR Smith is a junkie with a fickle jumpshot.

PacersForLife
11-05-2014, 02:48 AM
What are the Pacers thinking? Copeland has good energy, will probably improve and JR Smith is a junkie with a fickle jumpshot.

Probably thinking the same thing.

xxplayerxx23
11-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Oh don't worry about that, after watching the game today, I think they will do enough to shut themselves down lol

One game lol they are a clearly flawed team, missing Calderon hurts but they won't be much a threat this year. Playoffs I think so but nothing speical. Offseason should be fun Though