PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown is Right. These Sixers are an Embarrassment to the Game

DemarDerozan
11-01-2014, 01:17 AM
They started three undrafted scrubs who went 10-38 against the Bucks, last years lottery runner up (at least they came to play).

Philly is one of the best basketball cities in the world. The Sixers are not only an embarrassment to the NBA but also any street ballers, college players, recreation league players or kids playing in dirt courts around the world. What they are doing violates the spirit of competetive basketball in any form.

Any Sixers "fan" who states they will watch a "couple" years of this for the future is not a real fan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/larry-brown-rips-the-philadelphia-76ers--achieves-peak-larry-brown-ness-161934484.html

slaker619
11-01-2014, 01:27 AM
76ers need to stop tanking and step up even the lakers trying to do something with all their scrubs

SeoulBeatz
11-01-2014, 02:14 AM
I mean... if you're going to hate on anyone, hate on Sixers management.

But I don't quite get the ridiculous argument that the lakers/bucks scrubs ARE trying but the Sixer's scrubs are not.

They try, they're just awful. Jakarr Sampson, Chris Johnson, Malcolm Thomas.... yeah...... it's a bad sign when Nerlens Noel (14, 10, 3 blks, 2 dimes and 1 stl tonight) is our best offensive option at the moment. That's just the state of this team.

Also doesn't help that MCW is out and Tony Wroten is out there turning the ball over 8 times per game.

But please, enough with the B.S argument that the Sixer's players/coach aren't putting in the effort. They just suck, and that's thanks to Sam Hinkie who constructed this team to do just that.

We're tanking, and the whole Sixers forum is onboard for that. We knew what we signed up for. After over a decade of mediocrity and botched trades (Big Dog Robinson, Keith Van Horn, Webber, BYBUM) they did what they had to do. We lost Iguodala, Vucevic, Moe Harkless and picks for NOTHING (well, unless you count Jason Richardson as an asset), so the only thing they could do was clean house and start over.

It sure ain't pretty right now but they have the reigning ROY, they have Nerlens who will contend for ROY this year, and they have Embiid and Saric waiting in the wings.

After the Bynum debacle, I don't see how Sixers management could have handled the situation any better.

I want to ask you, exactly what moves would you have made after the Bynum trade? Sign some vets to eat up cap space and get knocked out in the 1st round again? Cause we've been doing that for 13 years....

Sixers fans have had enough of the mediocrity and they'd rather be terrible while obtaining young assets than recycle used up vets to contend for the 8th seed year after year. It's as simple as that.

People love to bash the Sixers yet they can never provide a better alternative to tanking than "they should try harder."

edit: I'd like to add... Let's say the Sixers didn't tank...

We'd have a roster of

Jrue Holiday/ Lou Williams
Evan Turner
Nick Young?/ J Rich
Thad Young/ Elton Brand
Spencer ****ing Hawes

Not a bad a looking squad. But does that team even crack the top 5 in the East this year? Absolutely not.

Is that team good enough to attract big time free agents? Absolutely not.

So what happens then? Maybe they miraculously reach the 2nd round for a couple of years, but that's their peak. Then you have to overpay Evan Turner and Spence just to keep that mediocre roster intact. Then they get old, and they'd be exactly where they are right now, except they wouldn't have MCW, Nerlens, Embiid, and Saric.

Sixer's management knew that 2011-2012 roster's peak, and they flipped the script before we spent another decade trying to polish a turd.

IKnowHoops
11-01-2014, 02:42 AM
I like what the sixers are doing. They know they have no chance of winning anything if they give 100% effort, so they are drafting the best possible players while giving one year contracts to scrubs and they are planning to win in like 3-4 years once they have accumulated a foundation of up and coming young talent.

Doing anything other than what there doing will keep them in the bottom 1/3 of the league for an eternity. I'd rather be the worst team fro three years and then be in the top ten and rising after that, then be the 8th worst team for the next 15 years.

Raidaz4Life
11-01-2014, 03:02 AM
I really hope they don't win the lottery

KG2TB
11-01-2014, 03:21 AM
I mean... if you're going to hate on anyone, hate on Sixers management.

But I don't quite get the ridiculous argument that the lakers/bucks scrubs ARE trying but the Sixer's scrubs are not.

They try, they're just awful. Jakarr Sampson, Chris Johnson, Malcolm Thomas.... yeah...... it's a bad sign when Nerlens Noel (14, 10, 3 blks, 2 dimes and 1 stl tonight) is our best offensive option at the moment. That's just the state of this team.

Also doesn't help that MCW is out and Tony Wroten is out there turning the ball over 8 times per game.

But please, enough with the B.S argument that the Sixer's players/coach aren't putting in the effort. They just suck, and that's thanks to Sam Hinkie who constructed this team to do just that.

We're tanking, and the whole Sixers forum is onboard for that. We knew what we signed up for. After over a decade of mediocrity and botched trades (Big Dog Robinson, Keith Van Horn, Webber, BYBUM) they did what they had to do. We lost Iguodala, Vucevic, Moe Harkless and picks for NOTHING (well, unless you count Jason Richardson as an asset), so the only thing they could do was clean house and start over.

It sure ain't pretty right now but they have the reigning ROY, they have Nerlens who will contend for ROY this year, and they have Embiid and Saric waiting in the wings.

After the Bynum debacle, I don't see how Sixers management could have handled the situation any better.

I want to ask you, exactly what moves would you have made after the Bynum trade? Sign some vets to eat up cap space and get knocked out in the 1st round again? Cause we've been doing that for 13 years....

Sixers fans have had enough of the mediocrity and they'd rather be terrible while obtaining young assets than recycle used up vets to contend for the 8th seed year after year. It's as simple as that.

People love to bash the Sixers yet they can never provide a better alternative to tanking than "they should try harder."

edit: I'd like to add... Let's say the Sixers didn't tank...

We'd have a roster of

Jrue Holiday/ Lou Williams
Evan Turner
Nick Young?/ J Rich
Thad Young/ Elton Brand
Spencer ****ing Hawes

Not a bad a looking squad. But does that team even crack the top 5 in the East this year? Absolutely not.

Is that team good enough to attract big time free agents? Absolutely not.

So what happens then? Maybe they miraculously reach the 2nd round for a couple of years, but that's their peak. Then you have to overpay Evan Turner and Spence just to keep that mediocre roster intact. Then they get old, and they'd be exactly where they are right now, except they wouldn't have MCW, Nerlens, Embiid, and Saric.

Sixer's management knew that 2011-2012 roster's peak, and they flipped the script before we spent another decade trying to polish a turd.

I like the moves the 6ers have made and the talent they've collected. They're set up to make a move in the near future for a veteran leader\all-star type and still have loads of young talent. They're taking a Chicago Cubs kind of approach, but I think it's a good move, despite of the backlash at the moment.

Kaner
11-01-2014, 03:36 AM
What the Sixers are doing was the inevitable conclusion of the NBA media culture and the average rebuild of constantly trying to improve with no real championship aspirations unless you get lucky. Middle of the pack teams are largely disregarded as bad teams that had okay rebuilds, and championships or, at least contending is the only thing that people care about looking back at past teams. They're putting all of their talent under cheap rookie contracts, drafting well, with almost always getting the BPA or at least most talented player constantly looking for that superstar player, and saving their money so they can push when the times right. People talk **** but you should at least respect the ownership and management's FULL commitment to becoming a title contender in a league were it's tough to make that leap. Instead of taking the easy way out as just another team that didn't get one lucky pick with a superstar in the draft.

dalton749
11-01-2014, 04:15 AM
how are you guys seriously arguing for them
theyre signing undrafted scrubs to come in and play to guarantee losing, its the ****ing nba, its expectedd to be the highest level of basketball

and theyre taking money out of every team in the leagues pockets by doing it
how does the home team justify making you pay to watch that team play on your floor?

im all for tanking, but its a ****ing joke at this point

if anything it should be development time for guys who have a future in the league, none of these guys will be heard of again within 2 years

jimm120
11-01-2014, 08:09 AM
People are harping on them picking Embiid and Noel in the last two drafts as further proof of the tanking....which is true.

but at the same time, they got what was projected as the #1 picks in each draft for less because of the injuries.

Noel was supposed to be the #1 last year and was gotten at #6 or somewhere around there.
Embiid was heavily rumored to be taken before Parker and Wiggins at #1 until his injury. They got him at #3.

They got what was supposed to be the #1 pick at #3 and #6 instead. Yes, it'll suck to not have each for a full year, but I don't know if its a bad thing to go for the best talent, even though injured, to help your franchise grow.

GiantsSwaGG
11-01-2014, 09:19 AM
They're a disgrace to the NBA, and all of sports. Teams should be punish for tanking on purpose.

archdevil84
11-01-2014, 09:59 AM
i hate the sixers for doing this but i can understand why theyre doing and also: they didnt realy have any other options. Stil a disgrace though

goingfor28
11-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Must suck for guts like Noel, MCW, Embiid (I know the last 2 are hurt) but they're guys who have legit talent to start in the nba and they're just rotting in Philly for a few years first

2-ONE-5
11-01-2014, 10:23 AM
lol i understand why most teams are mad. i mean **** what are the payrolls for the Knicks and Lakers who are gonna be in the lotto with us? The other bottom teams just dont have a GM with the type of job security Hinkie has to be able to start a rebuild this way either. We opened the season on the road with 2 competitive game that we probably win if MCW was playing.

2-ONE-5
11-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Must suck for guts like Noel, MCW, Embiid (I know the last 2 are hurt) but they're guys who have legit talent to start in the nba and they're just rotting in Philly for a few years first

lol now they are rotting? I love that most the hate is from our div rivals who know the division belongs to us in 3 years (long with Boston too)

Crackadalic
11-01-2014, 11:08 AM
I mean they don't even have that one star yet so might as well suck and stockpile on talent

MCW/Noel/Embid is a great start

Now if they crack the top 3 and get either Okafor/Mudiay/Towns I definitely see them making a trade for a legit star just like houston did. Than they will have the cap space to sign someone say 2016 like a Durant and boom title contenders

theducksmuggler
11-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Why would it make you happier if they were stuck in the 6-10 seed range for 15+ years and stay "competitive" but never really contending while signing mediocre overpaid free agents that make us better but not contenders and ruin our cap space?
Wouldnt you rather have a team be bad and irrelevant for the years they know they cant beat teams like the Cavs, Spurs, Clippers, Thunder, etc...and get better for the future when those teams fall off and a fun upcoming team with tons of talent who grew up together and got drafted together and worked together to become contenders?
We always hear in these forums people complaining about teams joining together via Free Agency this team is literally doing exactly what the Seattle Supersonics/OKC Thunder did with Durant Westbrook Harden but no one complains about them they talk about how they came up and got drafted together and such...people will love this team in 3-4 years trust in my man Sam Hinkie!

5ass
11-01-2014, 12:30 PM
No one says they have to be stuck in mediocrity everyone is just saying that there are better ways to rebuild. Its not either this or that, there is a middle ground. You know they dont give a **** about that roster when they post Bo outlaw info on their website instead of Travis outlaw.

beasted86
11-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Players aren't to blame, the management/ownership is. All I have to say is these bums dare not fire the coach. That would take the level of their disgusting ways overboard.

If I was a Philly fan, I would honestly boycott the team, much in the same way that I boycott the Marlins until they change owners. I don't care if the team is headed to the World Series... I'm not watching any games, and no way on Earth am I paying to go to their games.

2-ONE-5
11-01-2014, 12:59 PM
do you not see these ridiculous deals going out this season so far? That is exactly what Sixers fans DONT want to see happen right now. We gave some UDFA's a shot last year and found Hollis Thompson who led all rookies in 3pt % and we did the same this year adding 3 more young guys including 2 who have had good success in college/d-league so far.

IKnowHoops
11-01-2014, 01:38 PM
I mean they don't even have that one star yet so might as well suck and stockpile on talent

MCW/Noel/Embid is a great start

Now if they crack the top 3 and get either Okafor/Mudiay/Towns I definitely see them making a trade for a legit star just like houston did. Than they will have the cap space to sign someone say 2016 like a Durant and boom title contenders

Exactly...why is this concept so hard for people to understand. This is there best play for the future. You people hating on them just don't want them to be good in a few years. You want them to be the 5th worst team forever. You don't like the fact they are getting draft picks and will be good in 4 years. They are doing what is best fro there franchise in there market.

I here someone say that they should be ashamed to put this product in front of there fans. This same guy will be hating on them in three years when they have a good product on the court saying they shouldn't be able to have this good of a product for the fans.

Straight B.S. coming out of the mouths of people pushing this "wrong to tank" argument.

It is easily there best option and play for future success, so I have no problem with it at all.

IKnowHoops
11-01-2014, 01:41 PM
lol now they are rotting? I love that most the hate is from our div rivals who know the division belongs to us in 3 years (long with Boston too)

Exactly... this means you are doing the right thing. Keep doing what your doing.

IKnowHoops
11-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Why would it make you happier if they were stuck in the 6-10 seed range for 15+ years and stay "competitive" but never really contending while signing mediocre overpaid free agents that make us better but not contenders and ruin our cap space?
Wouldnt you rather have a team be bad and irrelevant for the years they know they cant beat teams like the Cavs, Spurs, Clippers, Thunder, etc...and get better for the future when those teams fall off and a fun upcoming team with tons of talent who grew up together and got drafted together and worked together to become contenders?
We always hear in these forums people complaining about teams joining together via Free Agency this team is literally doing exactly what the Seattle Supersonics/OKC Thunder did with Durant Westbrook Harden but no one complains about them they talk about how they came up and got drafted together and such...people will love this team in 3-4 years trust in my man Sam Hinkie!

It just goes to show you. Haters are going to hate when they see something coming to beat there team.

IKnowHoops
11-01-2014, 01:48 PM
No one says they have to be stuck in mediocrity everyone is just saying that there are better ways to rebuild. Its not either this or that, there is a middle ground. You know they dont give a **** about that roster when they post Bo outlaw info on their website instead of Travis outlaw.

Players aren't to blame, the management/ownership is. All I have to say is these bums dare not fire the coach. That would take the level of their disgusting ways overboard.

If I was a Philly fan, I would honestly boycott the team, much in the same way that I boycott the Marlins until they change owners. I don't care if the team is headed to the World Series... I'm not watching any games, and no way on Earth am I paying to go to their games.

But notice how the only people that are mad are fans of opposing teams. The Philly fans love what the team is doing. You guys have different agendas and loyalties. So if your mad, and there happy about it, most likely the team is doing what is best for the sixes and what's not good for your respective teams. Thats the only reason for you to be complaining about it, and them to be happy about it.

aman_13
11-01-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm looking at their schedule and I don't see them winning a game this month.

MMC1710
11-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I've been watching the Sixers for a long time. I'm tired of watching the team get into the playoffs at the 6-8 seed...either getting knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round....then picking players in the teens....Watching this team stuck in mediocrity for the last 10-15 years is mind numbing....When was the last time the Sixers had any direction? A GM with a plan? Yes, this team is no better then an upper class D league team at the moment, and it's a painstaking process to watch....but this team is young...they're learning to play together....and the direction they're heading in is a positive one....

Are they tanking? Are they purposely trying to lose? I don't think so. They don't have NBA ready talent....that's not the players fault. Most of these guys are only one or two years removed from college competition.

The Sixers were/are not a team that free agents wanna flock to and play for. There was NOTHING attractive about this place....They never had money for free agents....The "names" the Sixers acquired in the past Bynum, Webber, Glen Robinson, Dikembe Mutombo, Jamal Mashburn....they were all past their primes and weren't game changers anymore....

I, as a fan, am tired of the Thad Youngs, Evan Turners, Andre Iguodalas, Jrue Holidays, Marreese Speights, Samuel Dalemberts of the drafts....I want to see the Sixers get the "blue chip" prospects. Possibly a player(s) who has a real chance to have that franchise/game changing talent....

Hinkie decided, as the GM, that he wanted to start with a clean slate and he let the fans know it very early on. I saw no problem with that. None of the players he inherited were in his plans for this team. So he got what he could for them. If there's a chance this team can be an upper echelon team in the East I can wait a year or two of last place finishes while this team matures into a winner and they become a city that talented free agents will wanna play for....instead of watching them bow out early in the playoffs over and over and getting the 16th pick every offseason.

nycericanguy
11-01-2014, 02:04 PM
I think the whole "stuck in mediocrity" thing is starting to get overblown.

Yes winning a title should be the goal, but realistically only 8 teams have won a title in the last 30 years. Simply put, it's damn hard and you need luck. Lots of teams have sucked and been in the lottery year after year and in the end nothing to show for it.

But at the same time sports are entertainment, and having a fairly competitive team that can at least make the playoffs and win close to 50 games is worth something isn't it? I mean PHI is in their 4th year of tanking and they are no where near ready to compete. This could turn into an 8-10 year process. Isn't that a bit much?

And even after all that there are no guarantees. The Pacers looked like they had a young, up and coming team, and now look. PG injured, Lance gone, Hibbert approaching Fagency, and now they're back to square one.

More-Than-Most
11-01-2014, 02:05 PM
We will stop tanking when they stop allowing super teams in the NBA. Hard to be a middle team when the league is so top heavy because stars want to play with stars... CRY ME A RIVER.

5ass
11-01-2014, 02:05 PM
But notice how the only people that are mad are fans of opposing teams. The Philly fans love what the team is doing. You guys have different agendas and loyalties. So if your mad, and there happy about it, most likely the team is doing what is best for the sixes and what's not good for your respective teams. Thats the only reason for you to be complaining about it, and them to be happy about it.

I'm not mad. Just giving my opinion on the matter. I can't hate on the sixers. Ever since AI, they kind of have a place in my heart. I'm really interested in this new team. I just think a truly great GM can do better... Hinkie's plan so far is tank as hard as possible and get the best rated player in the draft. Always playing the best odds. There's more to building a TEAM than that. They aren't trying to win games at all any time soon, how long will keep this up? What I do hate is that they're setting a precedent with their tanking. One that in a couple of years will create a problem.
I do have some respect for hinkie though, he's a gambler. This could all still blow up in his face.

PhillyFaninLA
11-01-2014, 02:08 PM
To go from bad to great in the NBA you need to be terrible and lucky.

The Sixers are doing what they have to do to have a chance at being great. They dumped bad contracts, they drafted the best player available each of the past 2 years, and this is a 2 year tanking job.

As a Sixers fan, I support the approach. If they don't try and start building a team next offseason, I won't be happy or support the new ownership or Sam Hinkie. But this si what you need to do to have a shot at being great in the NBA.

IKnowHoops
11-01-2014, 02:12 PM
I've been watching the Sixers for a long time. I'm tired of watching the team get into the playoffs at the 6-8 seed...either getting knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round....then picking players in the teens....Watching this team stuck in mediocrity for the last 10-15 years is mind numbing....When was the last time the Sixers had any direction? A GM with a plan? Yes, this team is no better then an upper class D league team at the moment, and it's a painstaking process to watch....but this team is young...they're learning to play together....and the direction they're heading in is a positive one....

Are they tanking? Are they purposely trying to lose? I don't think so. They don't have NBA ready talent....that's not the players fault. Most of these guys are only one or two years removed from college competition.

The Sixers were/are not a team that free agents wanna flock to and play for. There was NOTHING attractive about this place....They never had money for free agents....The "names" the Sixers acquired in the past Bynum, Webber, Glen Robinson, Dikembe Mutombo, Jamal Mashburn....they were all past their primes and weren't game changers anymore....

I, as a fan, am tired of the Thad Youngs, Evan Turners, Andre Iguodalas, Jrue Holidays, Marreese Speights, Samuel Dalemberts of the drafts....I want to see the Sixers get the "blue chip" prospects. Possibly a player(s) who has a real chance to have that franchise/game changing talent....

Hinkie decided, as the GM, that he wanted to start with a clean slate and he let the fans know it very early on. I saw no problem with that. None of the players he inherited were in his plans for this team. So he got what he could for them. If there's a chance this team can be an upper echelon team in the East I can wait a year or two of last place finishes while this team matures into a winner and they become a city that talented free agents will wanna play for....instead of watching them bow out early in the playoffs over and over and getting the 16th pick every offseason.

And there you have it. A fan of the team, who has felt the pain for 15 years, giving you his take. Why anyone would listen to a non fan complain and tell a real fan about how he should feel about his team is beyond me. If your not a fan of the team, stop crying about how Philly fans should feel. Your concerns and cries are shallow, misplaced, and hold zero weight since your allegiances lie with your own team, and you haven't suffered through philly basketball, nor do you care about the philly team.

All your crying and whining is just a cover up for your real feelings which go a lil something like this...

..."I hate how Philly is getting these young talented draft picks. I wish they would overpay for some fringe players so they can stay mediocre like my team has to."

Hawkeye15
11-01-2014, 02:26 PM
The way the NBA works, this is the way they need to rebuild. Mediocracy is purgatory. Unfortunately, for every Thunder team, there are 5-10 teams who try the same thing, but never get it right because they don't draft well enough, or are doing it at a time when the draft doesn't have a superstar talent to take.

As long as I don't see Philly fans tell me they aren't tanking, I have no beef with them at all.

BKLYNpigeon
11-01-2014, 02:30 PM
I hope their plan fails.

Vampirate
11-01-2014, 02:39 PM
I really hope they don't win the lottery

Of course you don't, you want the Lakers to win the lottery because both teams are in rebuild mode.

Crackadalic
11-01-2014, 02:56 PM
The way the NBA works, this is the way they need to rebuild. Mediocracy is purgatory. Unfortunately, for every Thunder team, there are 5-10 teams who try the same thing, but never get it right because they don't draft well enough, or are doing it at a time when the draft doesn't have a superstar talent to take.

As long as I don't see Philly fans tell me they aren't tanking, I have no beef with them at all.

Took the Kings damn near 8 years to put a team to finally compete for the 8th seed and that's still not good enough.

Being bad helps but being lucky and picking the right player comes into play as well

0nekhmer
11-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Youre fooling yourself if you think the players or coaches want to lose. Its the GM that's

aman_13
11-01-2014, 03:17 PM
We overlook player morale too much. They are going to lose a lot of games and it will be embarrassing. Nobody wants to be apart of that. Coaches want to win, that's their job. That is why Larry Brown made those comments.

Vampirate
11-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Took the Kings damn near 8 years to put a team to finally compete for the 8th seed and that's still not good enough.

Being bad helps but being lucky and picking the right player comes into play as well

You can't control luck but you can control making dumb decision compared to making thoughtful informed decisions.

The Raptors were a team that were making dumb decisions, now that Masai has taken over that's changed.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 03:27 PM
I feel bad for 76ers fans. they deserve better. 4 years of tanking :confused: and the players they drafted after tanking are on the trading block like MCW :confused: wtf is going on over there.

Knowledge
11-01-2014, 03:28 PM

What is the difference between tanking and rebuilding? I honestly don't understand how we are tanking.

Is it that we refuse to sign overpriced FA who won't make any difference or that we draft BPA instead of forcing needs.

Also Larry brown is partially responsible for how we started into this spiral (bad contracts) and he abandoned the team (like he always has) once he saw the ship sinking.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 03:29 PM
You can't control luck but you can control making dumb decision compared to making thoughtful informed decisions.

The Raptors were a team that were making dumb decisions, now that Masai has taken over that's changed.

not really, our raptors are still pretty medicore. were just lucky they are in the east, and even more lucky were in the atlantic division.

most raps fans know the team screams mediocre. but we rather have our team compete than tank 4 years straight. 76ers are taking the other route i guess but i dont respect it.

Vampirate
11-01-2014, 03:34 PM
not really, our raptors are still pretty medicore. were just lucky they are in the east, and even more lucky were in the atlantic division.

most raps fans know the team screams mediocre. but we rather have our team compete than tank 4 years straight. 76ers are taking the other route i guess but i dont respect it.

I'd say they are above avg, mediocre implies they just hover above .500. Also you're saying Masai is continuing the trend of dumb Raptor Decisions? Because that's the point I was making.

Knowledge
11-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Last year we were bad on purpose (though we were already bad before Hinkie - Everyone overlooks that part), this year isn't what everyone is making it out to be.

If Embiid stays healthy, we probably would have drafted Wiggins or Parker, and no one would be accusing us of tanking. We want Saric here now, but his contract keeps him overseas for 2 years. Should the 76ers have drafted another player over him even if they thought he was the BPA.

Basically, we are stuck until our top draft picks are able to play. We don't want them to be hurt or not play, but it is what it is.

I don't understand what people want the 76ers to do.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 03:43 PM
I'd say they are above avg, mediocre implies they just hover above .500. Also you're saying Masai is continuing the trend of dumb Raptor Decisions? Because that's the point I was making.

Masai's current team was constructed by the previous GM... Derozan, Jonas, Ross were all B.C's draft picks. Lowry was someone B.C traded for. thats the core of the team. Even Casey was a coach brought in by B.C

If you want to Credit Masai for attaining GVZ and Patman sure, but even then he over paid for GVZ so really the only thing we can give Masai credit for at the moment is keeping the team intact that B.C essentially built.

Also Mediocre is a 1st or 2nd round exit in the post season to me.

2-ONE-5
11-01-2014, 03:44 PM
no one outside of here understands the type of culture we building here they just see the losses and assume we are creating some losing culture here when in reality when are creating a family dynamic within the organization with our players of the future. We have already seen Brown and Hinkie skip a preseason game to be with Embiid in Cameroon when his brother died a few weeks ago, they also sent Emiid, MCW and Noel to the FIBAs to support Saric, and Noel literally worked with Brown every single day 1v1 last year to help further his development to prepare for this season. Not to mention we are currently building a state of the art, hi-tech practice facility. This is how a proper rebuild is done and we all cant wait to tell you i told you so in a few years

aman_13
11-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Masai's current team was constructed by the previous GM... Derozan, Jonas, Ross were all B.C's draft picks. Lowry was someone B.C traded for. thats the core of the team.

If you want to Credit Masai for attaining GVZ and Patman sure, but even then he over paid for GVZ so really the only think I can give Masai credit for at the moment is keeping the team intact that B.C essentially built.

So based on you're definition, every team in the East except the Bulls and Cavs are mediocre.

bringbackfredex
11-01-2014, 03:50 PM
They started three undrafted scrubs who went 10-38 against the Bucks, last years lottery runner up (at least they came to play).

Philly is one of the best basketball cities in the world. The Sixers are not only an embarrassment to the NBA but also any street ballers, college players, recreation league players or kids playing in dirt courts around the world. What they are doing violates the spirit of competetive basketball in any form.

Any Sixers "fan" who states they will watch a "couple" years of this for the future is not a real fan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/larry-brown-rips-the-philadelphia-76ers--achieves-peak-larry-brown-ness-161934484.html

Actually you're 100% wrong, Philly is one of the worst basketball cities in the world and I'm a Philly fan. The Sixers haven't sold out a playoff game since 2003 and we've been in the playoffs five times since that year. People loved Iverson, but Philadelphia has never cared for basketball like any of the other three major sports.

And to your last comment, who are you to decide who's a true fan and who isn't? We aren't true fans for wanting to better our team? We aren't true fans because we don't want to deal with mediocrity/losing forever? People like you are clueless, the Sixers are literally going to dominate the East in three years when they complete their plan. We'll have a ROY, two #1 overall pick talents (7 feet tall btw), Saric who has a ton of potential, and another top 5 pick from tanking this season. If that isn't a recipe for success then I don't know what is.

In other words, the Sixers actually have a vision and a plan, something that you can't hate on them for. They're simply taking advantage of a flawed system. Hate the NBA and their owners for not fixing the system, not the teams who expose it for what it is.

aman_13
11-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Dominating the league in three yrs is wishful thinking.

Vampirate
11-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Actually you're 100% wrong, Philly is one of the worst basketball cities in the world and I'm a Philly fan. The Sixers haven't sold out a playoff game since 2003 and we've been in the playoffs five times since that year. People loved Iverson, but Philadelphia has never cared for basketball like any of the other three major sports.

And to your last comment, who are you to decide who's a true fan and who isn't? We aren't true fans for wanting to better our team? We aren't true fans because we don't want to deal with mediocrity/losing forever? People like you are clueless, the Sixers are literally going to dominate the East in three years when they complete their plan. We'll have a ROY, two #1 overall pick talents (7 feet tall btw), Saric who has a ton of potential, and another top 5 pick from tanking this season. If that isn't a recipe for success then I don't know what is.

In other words, the Sixers actually have a vision and a plan, something that you can't hate on them for. They're simply taking advantage of a flawed system. Hate the NBA and their owners for not fixing the system, not the teams who expose it for what it is.

You're jumping the gun. Even when they get the rest of the pieces from the draft, it'll take time for them to develop, then there are stuff like chemistry etc. I'd say once the rebuild is over it'll take around 5-6 years before anything serious happens.

bringbackfredex
11-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Dominating the league in three yrs is wishful thinking.

It might be, and it might not be. Having two talents like Embiid and Noel playing together in a frontcourt could be very scary, and not something that many other teams have. If they end up panning out, you're looking at a young team that could grow up together like the Thunder did. If they don't well then yeah, it's wishful thinking.

aman_13
11-01-2014, 04:01 PM
You're jumping the gun. Even when they get the rest of the pieces from the draft, it'll take time for them to develop, then there are stuff like chemistry etc. I'd say once the rebuild is over it'll take around 5-6 years before anything serious happens.

Agreed, this isn't 2k. It's going to take time.

bringbackfredex
11-01-2014, 04:01 PM

The 3 year range was just an estimate, I don't think anyone can really say how long it'll take all of those guys to develop chemistry with each other. I agree that it could take longer.

SeoulBeatz
11-01-2014, 04:03 PM
I think the whole "stuck in mediocrity" thing is starting to get overblown.

Yes winning a title should be the goal, but realistically only 8 teams have won a title in the last 30 years. Simply put, it's damn hard and you need luck. Lots of teams have sucked and been in the lottery year after year and in the end nothing to show for it.

But at the same time sports are entertainment, and having a fairly competitive team that can at least make the playoffs and win close to 50 games is worth something isn't it? I mean PHI is in their 4th year of tanking and they are no where near ready to compete. This could turn into an 8-10 year process. Isn't that a bit much?

And even after all that there are no guarantees. The Pacers looked like they had a young, up and coming team, and now look. PG injured, Lance gone, Hibbert approaching Fagency, and now they're back to square one.

The tank began last year. We traded for Bynum during the 2012-2013 season. We thought we had a contender built around him and it backfired. We traded Jrue in the 2013 draft and we traded Turner and Spence 9 months ago so I don't know where this 4th year of the tank nonsense is coming from. It's the 2nd year of the tank just to be clear.

And for just over a year of tanking, coming away with the rookie of the year MCW and Nerlens Noel in the same draft was a great start. Then we added the projected #1 in Embiid and Saric who needs to stay overseas for at least another year. I couldn't be happier with how they've kicked off the rebuild.

edit:
And it's also easy for a Knicks fan to say that because you can attract free agents because of your City/Market alone. Philly doesn't have that luxury of being able to attract big names and thus has to find other routes to acquire talent AKA TANK, and hope that some of these guys can turn into stars.

aman_13
11-01-2014, 04:04 PM
It might be, and it might not be. Having two talents like Embiid and Noel playing together in a frontcourt could be very scary, and not something that many other teams have. If they end up panning out, you're looking at a young team that could grow up together like the Thunder did. If they don't well then yeah, it's wishful thinking.

I'm not saying they can't dominate, it's just 3 yrs is very fast. I do like the potential, especially defensively.

SeoulBeatz
11-01-2014, 04:07 PM
The 3 year range was just an estimate, I don't think anyone can really say how long it'll take all of those guys to develop chemistry with each other. I agree that it could take longer.

Yeah, it's impossible to project when this Sixer's team will actually be good.
They presumably have their PG, PF, and C of the future.
But our wings our severely lacking and we're going to need a dominant scoring wing (not easy to come by) to truly say our young foundation is complete since our pieces right now are all defensively oriented.

That's the risk involved with tanking, but that's a risk we as a fanbase are willing to take. I've been a diehard for 15 years and if you've been subjected to the mediocre, directionless basketball that I have for over a decade, you'd be thanking the gods that management finally has a plan and is making all the right decisions thus far.

Quinnsanity
11-01-2014, 04:24 PM
I don't see what all the fuss is about. The entire goal of running a professional basketball team is to win the championship. Not win games, to win the championship. If you aren't in a position to win the championship, then it's your job as a team to do whatever it takes to get back to a championship level as soon as possible. The Sixers weren't going to be able to do that with their old roster, they weren't going to be able to lure a star, losing was their only avenue. They just happened to have embraced it and have decided to do it to the best of their abilities in order to best give their team a chance for a championship. I guarantee you Sixers fans won't be complaining three years from now if Philly looks like a potential championship team. It's not like some teams get to play them 20 times and increase their playoff chances. It's not like the players who are on the court are actively trying to lose. It's not like they're signing fans off of the street. This embarrassment to the game thing is nonsense. The Sixers are just being smart in how they rebuild.

Hawkeye15
11-01-2014, 04:26 PM
What is the difference between tanking and rebuilding? I honestly don't understand how we are tanking.

Is it that we refuse to sign overpriced FA who won't make any difference or that we draft BPA instead of forcing needs.

Also Larry brown is partially responsible for how we started into this spiral (bad contracts) and he abandoned the team (like he always has) once he saw the ship sinking.

Tanking is what Hinkie is doing. He is absolutely limiting the talent level of the roster on purpose, to try and pile up young assets/talent. How is that not obvious? Both the players he has taken the last 2 years were players that were going to miss huge parts of the upcoming season, thereby limiting their contributions. His productive players (all in their young to mid 20's) were all shipped off for later round draft picks.

Hinkie is 1000000000% trying to tank. That can't be disputed. I am not saying the players/coach are. I am saying the front office is giving the fans/coach absolutely no talent to put on the floor. That is a tank job.

Tanking is essentially rebuilding, but all but saying, "we are going to suck on purpose, as hard as possible".

Hawkeye15
11-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Last year we were bad on purpose (though we were already bad before Hinkie - Everyone overlooks that part), this year isn't what everyone is making it out to be.

If Embiid stays healthy, we probably would have drafted Wiggins or Parker, and no one would be accusing us of tanking. We want Saric here now, but his contract keeps him overseas for 2 years. Should the 76ers have drafted another player over him even if they thought he was the BPA.

Basically, we are stuck until our top draft picks are able to play. We don't want them to be hurt or not play, but it is what it is.

I don't understand what people want the 76ers to do.

But Hinkie KNEW that neither Embiid, nor Saric, would contribute this year. THAT is why it's a tank job dude. He is TRYING to suck on purpose, to keep piling up young talent. Nobody is saying that it may not be a smart thing to do, they are saying it's a ****ing huge TANK job, which it is.

Your GM is literally going out of his way the last 2-3 seasons, to make you non-competitive. That is a tank job.

Hawkeye15
11-01-2014, 04:35 PM
The tank began last year. We traded for Bynum during the 2012-2013 season. We thought we had a contender built around him and it backfired. We traded Jrue in the 2013 draft and we traded Turner and Spence 9 months ago so I don't know where this 4th year of the tank nonsense is coming from. It's the 2nd year of the tank just to be clear.

And for just over a year of tanking, coming away with the rookie of the year MCW and Nerlens Noel in the same draft was a great start. Then we added the projected #1 in Embiid and Saric who needs to stay overseas for at least another year. I couldn't be happier with how they've kicked off the rebuild.

edit:
And it's also easy for a Knicks fan to say that because you can attract free agents because of your City/Market alone. Philly doesn't have that luxury of being able to attract big names and thus has to find other routes to acquire talent AKA TANK, and hope that some of these guys can turn into stars.

this is what I was referring to in my first post in this thread too. In order for a tank job to actually turn a cellar dweller into a contender, you need to luck out, and get those high picks in years where there is superstar talent to draft. MCW was really not even very good last year, I don't see star in him at all. Noel looks like a nice defensive player in the Theo Ratliff mode, are they really great building blocks? I mean, I could for sure be wrong, but what I am saying is, one of these guys Hinkie sucked so hard to get, needs to turn into a total beast, and another needs to be an all star for the tank to actually work. Which is why I said when teams copy the OKC method, for every one of them, you have 5-10 who just turn right back into mediocre/middle playoff team, or worse...How long have my Wolves been throwing away top 10 picks?

Tanking doesn't work a good portion of the time, but with the way the NBA is built, it's the best way to try.....

I just don't like to hear Philly fans defend what their GM is doing (ie, telling me he isn't trying to do this tank job), that is literally my only issue with all of this.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 04:37 PM
So based on you're definition, every team in the East except the Bulls and Cavs are mediocre.

the raptors, wizards, bobcats, nets, heat are the best of the worst and are all pretty mediocre teams. if they were in the west would they even make the playoffs:confused: maybe an 8th seed ...

bucks, knicks, magic, 76ers, pacers, pistons, boston are pretty well below average.

Hawkeye15
11-01-2014, 04:39 PM
the raptors, wizards, bobcats, nets, heat are the best of the worst. all pretty mediocre teams. if they were in the west would they even make the playoffs:confused: maybe an 8th seed

bucks, knicks, magic, 76ers, pacers, pistons, heat, boston are pretty well below average.

in other words, the only teams that have a real chance of getting to the ECF's are the bulls and cavs unless something crazy happends like another season ending injury to rose. in that case I say the wizards and raptors or bobcats fight for that 2nd seed by default. not because they are legit contenders.

I mean, is anyone really going to argue the east in general isn't a joke? They have 2 real teams, and a ton of other teams that would fight for 10th or worse in the west. Been that way for a decade or more.

BHF
11-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Masai's current team was constructed by the previous GM... Derozan, Jonas, Ross were all B.C's draft picks. Lowry was someone B.C traded for. thats the core of the team. Even Casey was a coach brought in by B.C

If you want to Credit Masai for attaining GVZ and Patman sure, but even then he over paid for GVZ so really the only thing we can give Masai credit for at the moment is keeping the team intact that B.C essentially built.

I don't think GVZ is overpaid, he is one of the best backup point guards in the league and he is capable of starting games.

Bruno
11-01-2014, 04:41 PM
if you want to tank hard for 3-4 years, fine. i think that's your right as an owner/front office.

but if you tank, you shouldn't be allowed to complain for one second about being in the negative, and you shouldn't be allowed to take a penny out of the revenue sharing pool.

the Lakers gave the league $50 million dollars last season. the fact that a big team with a big market is tapping into that revenue sharing pool, I think that's totally bs, and an embarrassment. When they're good in 3-4 years, it will have been a system of subsidies and revenue sharing that kept the intentional failure even financially possible in terms of a product/market standpoint. this is a team that should be losing a lot of money every year; and they are, but the revenue sharing pool provided mostly by the Lakers keep it financially reasonable.

Welfare for billionaires (revenue sharing) is why teams like the 76ers can pull a 3-5 year intentional tank job. if they weren't receiving money made by other teams, they would never be able to do this. they would lose too much money. there would be greater incentive to roll out a quality product faster.

want to get rid of the half decade tank? get rid of revenue sharing.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 04:43 PM
I mean, is anyone really going to argue the east in general isn't a joke? They have 2 real teams, and a ton of other teams that would fight for 10th or worse in the west. Been that way for a decade or more.

it seems like they are lol beats me as to why though... i thought it was a general concensus

Hawkeye15
11-01-2014, 04:43 PM
if you want to tank hard for 3-4 years, fine. i think that's your right as an owner/front office.

but if you tank, you shouldn't be allowed to complain for one second about being in the negative, and you shouldn't be allowed to take a penny out of the revenue sharing pool.

the Lakers gave the league $50 million dollars last season. the fact that a big team with a big market is tapping into that revenue sharing pool, I think that's totally bs, and an embarrassment. When they're good in 3-4 years, it will have been a system of subsidies and revenue sharing that kept the intentional failure even financially possible in terms of a product/market standpoint. this is a team that should be losing a lot of money every year; and they are, but the revenue sharing pool provided mostly by the Lakers keep it financially reasonable.

Welfare for billionaires (revenue sharing) is why teams like the 76ers can pull a 3-5 year intentional tank job. if they weren't receiving money made by other teams, they would never be able to do this. they would lose too much money.

great post. And it's why I, and many, have said the league is set up in a way where a tank job is possible I just don't need to hear fans of those teams deny that is what is happening.

Philly fans, your team is tanking. Hard. Just admit it, and hope Hinkie picks the right players to reward it..

Hawkeye15
11-01-2014, 04:44 PM
it seems like they are lol beats me as to why though... i thought it was a general concensus

I mean, just look at the standings for the last 30 years....pretty much tells you what you need to know

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 04:45 PM
I don't think GVZ is overpaid, he is one of the best backup point guards in the league and he is capable of starting games.

not gonna argue this. he is a big part of our rotation and Im ok with the contract. I was just pointing out that Masai hasnt done all that much in toronto to get praise for. The team was 90% created by B.C and I dont know how any one can argue that.

Vampirate
11-01-2014, 04:47 PM
not gonna argue this. he is a big part of our rotation and Im ok with the contract. I was just pointing out that Masai hasnt done all that much in toronto to get praise for. The team was 90% created by B.C and I dont know how any one can argue that.

So fleecing NY into giving up anything productive for Bargs and getting depth for a then very inefficient scorer isn't doing anything? I mean they aren't world beaters but the Raptors are trending upwards thanks to Masai.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 04:50 PM
I mean, just look at the standings for the last 30 years....pretty much tells you what you need to know

Also this season, with the loss of paul george and lance stephenson we lost one quality team in the east which makes the east seem even weaker than years prior. If rose goes down, the cavs will have the biggest cake walk to the finals this season...

Tmath
11-01-2014, 04:51 PM

What Masai brings, that BC didn't, is winning mentality. Its obvious, he is the motivator behind the scenes.

He knows the importance of player development, he knows how to construct a well balanced team, and knows the value of having young players at the end of the bench, instead of aging washed up vets.

Don't forget we own all our future 1st round picks, plus the Knicks/Denver pick, and have some pretty interesting prospects in Bruno, Bebe, and Daniels who aren't even playing right now because we are so deep, but all have potential to be rotational players.

The future is still big for the Raptors.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 04:52 PM
So fleecing NY into giving up anything productive for Bargs and getting depth for a then very inefficient scorer isn't doing anything? I mean they aren't world beaters but the Raptors are trending upwards thanks to Masai.

it was a good minor move, but never the less it was a minor move.

Im not saying that Masai is a terrible gm. I like Masai and I think he is a good GM mostly for the work he did in Denver. But in toronto he has yet to make his mark on the team. lets be honest.

Bruno
11-01-2014, 04:55 PM
great post. And it's why I, and many, have said the league is set up in a way where a tank job is possible I just don't need to hear fans of those teams deny that is what is happening.

Philly fans, your team is tanking. Hard. Just admit it, and hope Hinkie picks the right players to reward it..
i don't know how anyone can deny the tank. If I were a 76er fan I'd tell the world to not hate the player, but to gate the game. their behavior is a reflection of the incentives and rules put in place.

this 76ers situation should shine light on how bad the current CBA is. tanking is a symptom masquerading as the disease.

"wait, so I can roll out the worst team in the league for 4-5 years in a row, another team will pay for the financial repercussions of us having the worst team for 4-5 years, and when we're winning and successful we don't have to pay a single dollar of it back"

who the hell wouldn't do that. turning that down is like turning down a free 5 year loan. zero interest, don't have to pay a dollar of it back. it's free money. I don't blame them.

the CBA needs to be flushed.

Vampirate
11-01-2014, 04:58 PM
it was a good minor move, but never the less it was a minor move.

Im not saying that Masai is a terrible gm. I like Masai and I think he is a good GM mostly for the work he did in Denver. But in toronto he has yet to make his mark on the team. lets be honest.

He might have already depending on how Bruno turns out.

SeoulBeatz
11-01-2014, 04:59 PM
this is what I was referring to in my first post in this thread too. In order for a tank job to actually turn a cellar dweller into a contender, you need to luck out, and get those high picks in years where there is superstar talent to draft. MCW was really not even very good last year, I don't see star in him at all. Noel looks like a nice defensive player in the Theo Ratliff mode, are they really great building blocks? I mean, I could for sure be wrong, but what I am saying is, one of these guys Hinkie sucked so hard to get, needs to turn into a total beast, and another needs to be an all star for the tank to actually work. Which is why I said when teams copy the OKC method, for every one of them, you have 5-10 who just turn right back into mediocre/middle playoff team, or worse...How long have my Wolves been throwing away top 10 picks?

Tanking doesn't work a good portion of the time, but with the way the NBA is built, it's the best way to try.....

I just don't like to hear Philly fans defend what their GM is doing (ie, telling me he isn't trying to do this tank job), that is literally my only issue with all of this.

I agree, MCW is never going to be an all-star IMO, but he's a solid PG who fits into the blueprint of this team which will be centered around size, defense, and versatility.

However, I disagree with your assessment of Nerlens. He is more than just a shot blocker a la Ratliff. If you watch him play, he's all over the court on defense. He is our most active defender and is as big of a threat to swipe the ball as he is to block it. He's going to get bullied in the post until he puts on some weight but I think he has the tools to be an elite defender in this league because of his unique defensive skillset and athleticism.

If you pair him up next to a traditional C like Embiid (who is our best prospect IMO and has prototypical size/strength/skillset at his position) then I believe they have the potential to be one of the best PF-C combo's in the league in a few years.

Obviously they have to stay healthy, which is going to be a question mark, but I believe there is Elite potential in that front court.

Also, I think the Sixers currently have better management than the Wolves but that's just me. I mean they picked Johnny Flynn, Rubio, and Lawson in the same draft and traded away the best of the three? It's all about who's in charge, and giving Rubio that humungous contract is only going to hinder them more for the foreseeable future.

While on the other hand, Hinkie was able to work wonders with that Rockets roster by drafting well and acquiring Harden and Howard, and while they probably won't win a championship they're at least in the conversation for title contenders.

And his first move of his Sixers tenure was turning Jrue Holiday into Nerlens and Saric while picking the ROY at #11. For once, I actually trust what our GM is doing.

And finally, I'm not gonna sit here and act like the Sixer's aren't tanking.

One of the most popular threads in the Sixer's forum for the past year and half has been "All things Tankadelphia". Most Sixer's fans realize and embrace the tank. Also see Philadelphia's sbnation blog LibertyBallers.com. Every other thread seems to have the word tank in it, so it's a small minority of people who are in denial of the tank.

Hawkeye15
11-01-2014, 05:02 PM
I agree, MCW is never going to be an all-star IMO, but he's a solid PG who fits into the blueprint of this team which will be centered around size, defense, and versatility.

However, I disagree with your assessment of Nerlens. He is more than just a shot blocker a la Ratliff. If you watch him play, he's all over the court on defense. He is our most active defender and is as big of a threat to swipe the ball as he is to block it. He's going to get bullied in the post until he puts on some weight but I think he has the tools to be an elite defender in this league because of his unique defensive skillset and athleticism.

If you pair him up next to a traditional C like Embiid (who is our best prospect IMO and has prototypical size/strength/skillset at his position) then I believe they have the potential to be one of the best PF-C combo's in the league in a few years.

Obviously they have to stay healthy, which is going to be a question mark, but I believe there is Elite potential in that front court.

Also, I think the Sixers currently have better management than the Wolves but that's just me. I mean they picked Johnny Flynn, Rubio, and Lawson in the same draft and traded away the best of the three? It's all about who's in charge, and giving Rubio that humungous contract is only going to hinder them more for the foreseeable future.

While on the other hand Hinkie was able to work wonders with that Rockets roster by drafting well and acquiring Harden and Howard, and while they probably won't win a championship they're at least in the conversation for title contenders.

And his first move of his Sixers tenure was turning Jrue Holiday into Nerlens and Saric while picking the ROY at #11. For once, I actually trust what our GM is doing.

Also, I'm not gonna sit here and act like the Sixer's aren't tanking.

One of the most popular threads in the Sixer's forum for the past year and half has been "All things Tankadelphia". Most Sixer's fans realize and embrace the tank. Also see Philadelphia's sbnation blog LibertyBallers.com. Every other thread seems to have the word tank in it, so it's a small minority of people who are in denial of the tank.

oh my Wolves have for sure had possibly the worst management in the NBA for a long time.

the last paragraph is funny haha. That is all I mean. I know there is a pack mentality in the main forums, to defend your team at all costs, something I don't do (and was called out for it by another Wolves fan on it, but I am not changing), and many times inside the bubble/protection of your own forums you are dead honest about things.

Jamiecballer
11-01-2014, 05:06 PM
I get the idea that you need to bottom out to have a shot to rebuild and build a contender. I'm just not convinced. Teams like the Kings and Clippers have done this kind of thing for a decade or longer at a time with almost nothing to show for it.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 05:06 PM
He might have already depending on how Bruno turns out.

time will tell, although if Cabolclo doesnt turn out to be a great pick I woudnt hold it against Masai, after all it was a 20th pick.

SeoulBeatz
11-01-2014, 05:08 PM
oh my Wolves have for sure had possibly the worst management in the NBA for a long time.

the last paragraph is funny haha. That is all I mean. I know there is a pack mentality in the main forums, to defend your team at all costs, something I don't do (and was called out for it by another Wolves fan on it, but I am not changing), and many times inside the bubble/protection of your own forums you are dead honest about things.

Lol i understand man. I for one FULLY embrace the tank. Nothing to be ashamed of, it was our best (and frankly, ONLY) option.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 05:09 PM
the whole thing about tanking is, how do you repay your season ticket holders ?

Vampirate
11-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Well as a fan would you rather see a .500 team at best for a long time or a potential down the road .650 team, even if you need to go through a bunch of .240 seasons.

2-ONE-5
11-01-2014, 05:11 PM
But Hinkie KNEW that neither Embiid, nor Saric, would contribute this year. THAT is why it's a tank job dude. He is TRYING to suck on purpose, to keep piling up young talent. Nobody is saying that it may not be a smart thing to do, they are saying it's a ****ing huge TANK job, which it is.

Your GM is literally going out of his way the last 2-3 seasons, to make you non-competitive. That is a tank job.

lol waitso had we drafted Aaron Gordon over Embiid it wouldnt be a tank?

aman_13
11-01-2014, 05:12 PM
the raptors, wizards, bobcats, nets, heat are the best of the worst and are all pretty mediocre teams. if they were in the west would they even make the playoffs:confused: maybe an 8th seed ...

bucks, knicks, magic, 76ers, pacers, pistons, boston are pretty well below average.

Why do we always have to compare eastern conference teams to the west? Who cares how teams in the east rank against the west?

2-ONE-5
11-01-2014, 05:13 PM

Welfare for billionaires (revenue sharing) is why teams like the 76ers can pull a 3-5 year intentional tank job. if they weren't receiving money made by other teams, they would never be able to do this. they would lose too much money. there would be greater incentive to roll out a quality product faster.

it amazes how many times people bring up revenue sharing without realizing the Sixers are in the 4th biggest market in the league and DO NOT receive anything

aman_13
11-01-2014, 05:15 PM

Imo the comparisons to the west are pointless. As you said, it's been like that for a decade and there really isn't anything that indicates it's going to change.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Well as a fan would you rather see a .500 team at best for a long time or a potential down the road .650 team, even if you need to go through a bunch of .240 seasons.

yeah but theres no gurantee that after you tank youre team is better. Thats the idea, but so many teams have tried and failed in doing so like Jamiecballer said..

My point is if im a fan and I have season tickets and I go to each game only to watch my team lose on purpose what value is there in me purchasing those tickets ? unless i just dont like money, or watching good basketball lol ...

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Why do we always have to compare eastern conference teams to the west? Who cares how teams in the east rank against the west?

:confused: because the fact remains they are better ? east teams still have to face west teams, and in order to win a ship you have to meet a western team in the finals. you cant just pretend they dont exist simply so you can convince your self your team is better than they actually are lol.

SeoulBeatz
11-01-2014, 05:17 PM
I get the idea that you need to bottom out to have a shot to rebuild and build a contender. I'm just not convinced. Teams like the Kings and Clippers have done this kind of thing for a decade or longer at a time with almost nothing to show for it.

They've also had shoddy management though. I think Sam Hinkie's track record and what he's done with the limited resources he's had, bodes very well for the Sixers.

I HATED the Jrue Holiday trade when it happened, but after a season it's clear that Hinkie couldn't have drafted any better at #6 (Noel) and #11 (MCW). He also got steals in Houston by drafting Terrence Jones late, and Chandler Parsons in the 2nd round.

I really think his track record speaks for itself. The guy knows how to get the most value out of his picks, whereas our old GM drafted Evan Turner ahead of George, Cousins, Monroe.... Marreese Speights ahead of Ibaka, Batum, Deandre Jordan.... boooooo.

Vampirate
11-01-2014, 05:18 PM

I reserve the 'best of the worst' for the team that is just a few percentages under .500.

For the Raptors, Wiz, Nets (up in the air here) Heat and Bobcats I would say they are the weakest of the Best.

Some of them are stagnant, some have the chance to move up.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 05:20 PM
+1

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 05:23 PM
I reserve the 'best of the worst' for the team that is just a few percentages under .500.

For the Raptors, Wiz, Nets (up in the air here) Heat and Bobcats I would say they are the weakest of the Best.Some of them are stagnant, some have the chance to move up.

I see them as treadmill teams ... not going no where.

Currently the Hawks have the longest record for making the post season (in the east) only i cant remember the last time they got past the 2nd round. Those type of teams miss out on high draft picks, and are clearly not good enough to even make their conference finals. So they are in a sense right in the middle of the pack which is the worst place to be in the nba imo.

DemarDerozan
11-01-2014, 05:27 PM
The Memphis Grizzlies, Portland Trailblazers and Phoenix Suns all have teams who could contend for a title within the next two years. Outside of Aldridge I can't think of one top pick on any of the three squads. Hell, Phoenix third best player was picked #60 in his draft.
The Mavericks, Spurs and Bulls have all stayed relevant despite not having high draft picks in the past ten years outside of Rose who has been hurt most of his career.

The Sixers front office is lazy. And I never blamed the players. **** half of their squad is living a dream that would never take place if the Philly front office respected the game. Those scrubs remind me of my dog when I forget and leave a half eaten pizza on the kitchen table. They should be happy as hell.

Philly is a big sports market. LAL are developing players like Ryan Kelly and Clarkson. These two guys will most likely have respectable careers. LAL, NYK and Boston are major market teams who could easily do exactly what the Sixers are doing... but instead they are dropping games but also working towards the future by developing players and signing NBA level professional talent.

And all of you dudes that claim you don't mind watching your team lose... well that's an extremely selfish way of thinking. Imagine your little ten year old *** watching basketball years ago and not having an understanding salary cap or pick position. All you probably remember is AI going HAM and winning the MVP award. Now what if the Sixers traded AI the year after his rookie season instead and lost ridiculous amounts of games for five years straight? Would you even be a fan?

Jamiecballer
11-01-2014, 05:28 PM
They've also had shoddy management though. I think Sam Hinkie's track record and what he's done with the limited resources he's had, bodes very well for the Sixers.

I HATED the Jrue Holiday trade when it happened, but after a season it's clear that Hinkie couldn't have drafted any better at #6 (Noel) and #11 (MCW). He also got steals in Houston by drafting Terrence Jones late, and Chandler Parsons in the 2nd round.

I really think his track record speaks for itself. The guy knows how to get the most value out of his picks, whereas our old GM drafted Evan Turner ahead of George, Cousins, Monroe.... Marreese Speights ahead of Ibaka, Batum, Deandre Jordan.... boooooo.
Its a crap shoot that's all I'm saying. You might draft the next big superstar only to spoil his development by placing them in a poor environment. People usually excel when the system around them supports their development.

But good luck to you, because from afar I am hoping it works out. I'm not as convinced as some that the Clippers and Kings and Wolves are always making terrible choices though.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Its a crap shoot that's all I'm saying. You might draft the next big superstar only to spoil his development by placing them in a poor environment. People usually excel when the system around them supports their development.

But good luck to you, because from afar I am hoping it works out. I'm not as convinced as some that the Clippers and Kings and Wolves are always making terrible choices though.

considering that the 76ers are in the atlantic I really hope it doesnt work out lol. :up:

aman_13
11-01-2014, 05:33 PM
:confused: because the fact remains they are better ? east teams still have to face west teams, and in order to win a ship you have to meet a western team in the finals. you cant just pretend they dont exist simply so you can convince your self your team is better than they actually are lol.

Lol I'm not pretending they don't exist. It's just that if you go .500 again the west or slightly below, you're in pretty good shape. In fact even if you're abysmal, you still have a chance to make the playoffs in the east. Its not like the Raps for example are not capable of beating western conference teams. And yes I get that in the finals, the winner of the east has to play a western conference team but anything can happen in a 7 game series.

PhillyFaninLA
11-01-2014, 05:41 PM

You need to look up the history of Philly basketball. This is an iconic basketball city, not just in regards to NBA or Big 5. This city was once the home to street ball and rivaled New York in that category. Also the Sixers franchise has the 3rd most wins in NBA history, and one of the greatest teams (single season) of all time.

Know your history.

Edit: I want to add that before MSG was built, the Mecca of basketball (debatably) was not even a professional arena, it was the Palestra.

aman_13
11-01-2014, 05:42 PM
And I'm not delusional about the Raps, i understand who they are. I just hate how teams in the east have to be compared to the west, when in reality is if you win majority of you're games against the east, you're in the playoffs. If you say the Raps don't match up well against the Cavs or Bulls, so they are most likely a second round exit, then I'm with you. Don't limit the ceiling of an eastern conference team because you think they maybe a 10th seed in the west.

PhillyFaninLA
11-01-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm not saying they can't dominate, it's just 3 yrs is very fast. I do like the potential, especially defensively.

I think we can be a playoff team next year with the right moves (I believe its a 2 year tank followed by a 3 - 4 year build), I don't think we will be in the conversation for a title until year 5 or 6 of this regimes at best.

IKnowHoops
11-01-2014, 06:03 PM

That doesn't make sense. Then why put in any money when in 4-5 years you are a good team that benefited from the tanking. The lakers can tank and still make tons of money because of there market. Which is what they are doing right now too. The have the benefit of still being able to make money while tanking though. Being in a great market is not something every other team can benefit from.

hugepatsfan
11-01-2014, 06:08 PM
What they're doing makes sense in the long term but their roster is still a disgrace to the competition of the sport.

IKnowHoops
11-01-2014, 06:08 PM

I think it would be fun watching Embiid, and Noel develop even though the team sucks, knowing that your getting better, and you are probably going to be able to get top 3 prospects from college for the next three years. That makes watching college basketball more fun too.

How do teams that aren't tanking but still suck pay there fans back.

Vampirate
11-01-2014, 06:09 PM
I see them as treadmill teams ... not going no where.

Currently the Hawks have the longest record for making the post season (in the east) only i cant remember the last time they got past the 2nd round. Those type of teams miss out on high draft picks, and are clearly not good enough to even make their conference finals. So they are in a sense right in the middle of the pack which is the worst place to be in the nba imo.

I don't think you can put Toronto and the Wizards as treadmill teams as both are pretty much up in the air in terms of their future. Charlotte I can understand and defense rely New Jersey. Miami is a question mark. Depending on how their cores grow and trades both the wizards and raptors could escape nba purgatory.

2-ONE-5
11-01-2014, 06:12 PM
The Memphis Grizzlies, Portland Trailblazers and Phoenix Suns all have teams who could contend for a title within the next two years. Outside of Aldridge I can't think of one top pick on any of the three squads. Hell, Phoenix third best player was picked #60 in his draft.
The Mavericks, Spurs and Bulls have all stayed relevant despite not having high draft picks in the past ten years outside of Rose who has been hurt most of his career.

The Sixers front office is lazy. And I never blamed the players. **** half of their squad is living a dream that would never take place if the Philly front office respected the game. Those scrubs remind me of my dog when I forget and leave a half eaten pizza on the kitchen table. They should be happy as hell.

Philly is a big sports market. LAL are developing players like Ryan Kelly and Clarkson. These two guys will most likely have respectable careers. LAL, NYK and Boston are major market teams who could easily do exactly what the Sixers are doing... but instead they are dropping games but also working towards the future by developing players and signing NBA level professional talent.

And all of you dudes that claim you don't mind watching your team lose... well that's an extremely selfish way of thinking. Imagine your little ten year old *** watching basketball years ago and not having an understanding salary cap or pick position. All you probably remember is AI going HAM and winning the MVP award. Now what if the Sixers traded AI the year after his rookie season instead and lost ridiculous amounts of games for five years straight? Would you even be a fan?

lol bcuz they didnt build around a superstar. You are just spewing a bunch of nonsense but keep it up its funny

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 06:14 PM
And I'm not delusional about the Raps, i understand who they are. I just hate how teams in the east have to be compared to the west, when in reality is if you win majority of you're games against the east, you're in the playoffs. If you say the Raps don't match up well against the Cavs or Bulls, so they are most likely a second round exit, then I'm with you. Don't limit the ceiling of an eastern conference team because you think they maybe a 10th seed in the west.

its just that after the cavs and bulls the talent level drops off significantly in the east. I think were lucky the Pacers lost their two best players because they would have been well ahead of the raps as well.

In any case, I am super stoked that the raps actually have a chance in reaching the ECF's this season and are not tanking because Masai was about to blow the team up after the rudy gay trade so things could have been much worse for the raps. Allthings considered the team is in good shape and I hate tanking so Im with ya.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 06:16 PM
I don't think you can put Toronto and the Wizards as treadmill teams as both are pretty much up in the air in terms of their future. Charlotte I can understand and defense rely New Jersey. Miami is a question mark. Depending on how their cores grow and trades both the wizards and raptors could escape nba purgatory.

If the raps reach the ECF's Id agree with you. they have a chance.

SeoulBeatz
11-01-2014, 06:33 PM
I think it would be fun watching Embiid, and Noel develop even though the team sucks, knowing that your getting better, and you are probably going to be able to get top 3 prospects from college for the next three years. That makes watching college basketball more fun too.

How do teams that aren't tanking but still suck pay there fans back.

That's the thing. I'm excited to see how Nerlens, MCW (when he gets healthy), Jeremi Grant, KJ Mcdaniels (who looks like a nice 3 and D swingman), Tony Wroten, and Sims develop this year.

Those are the players with a future on this team. They play hard, hell i was actually loving the defensive effort I was seeing from them last night. That's all thanks to coach Brown. He makes them compete every night.

It's not his fault half of the roster consists of d-leaguers, he still wants his team to give 100% effort and they do. It's not like he's telling them to coast. If Tony Wroten becomes careless with the ball, he gets in his ear about it. If Nerlens loses sight of his man, he lets him know.

I don't know how people are bashing the Sixers player development/coaching staff. Coach Brown was under Popovich for years and he's a no nonsense coach. The youngsters respect him and and understand that it takes time to build a team from the ground up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV8JmDMK8gM There, you can hear it from the Horse's mouth.

Every coach, player, and front office person in the Sixer's organization knew what they signed up for and they're fully committed to it.

That's why you see Embiid, MCW, and Grant all buddy-buddy and smiling with each other in their street clothes on the bench. They're happy because they know the potential of this core and they understand that this is a rebuilding process.

Vampirate
11-01-2014, 06:39 PM
If the raps reach the ECF's Id agree with you. they have a chance.
Another thing about the Hawks is to my knoledge they never took the risk and try for a blockbuster trade Due to ownership or whatever reasons they never tried to shake things up. Masai said that he'd make sure the Raptors would not be a treadmill team so that's encouraging.

smith&wesson
11-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Another thing about the Hawks is to my knoledge they never took the risk and try for a blockbuster trade Due to ownership or whatever reasons they never tried to shake things up. Masai said that he'd make sure the Raptors would not be a treadmill team so that's encouraging.

to their credit they did get rid of josh smith and replaced him with an all star in millsap..

yeah I def agree about the bolded. I am confident Masai will do what is necessary to get to the next level if the opportunity is there and it makes sence.

Sadds The Gr8
11-01-2014, 07:00 PM

Philly doesn't get $$$ in the revenue sharing system. They're considered a "big market"

DemarDerozan
11-01-2014, 07:19 PM
lol bcuz they didnt build around a superstar. You are just spewing a bunch of nonsense but keep it up its funny

The only consistent superstar who was drafted top three amongst the teams I mentioned (CHI, SA and DAL) is Tim Duncan... and he has been old for the past five years. Not a prime superstar. The Bulls had DRose for one year of "Superstar" level play. Dirk was a late lottery pick who was developed into a superstar.

What's funny is that you are arguing for a front office that deserves to be stripped of their draft picks.

Yall keep saying that tanking is the only way. Tell that to Don Nelson's Warriors, the 2004 Pistons, and the current Grizzlies and Blazers squads. They were built with a smart FO and free agency.

2-ONE-5
11-01-2014, 07:44 PM
its a different time. You cant make moves when the right opportunity doesnt present itsself. We had a deal for Howard prior to Bynum but he said he wouldnt re-sign here outside of that no big players have become available outside of Harden prior to our rebuild. Us fans would have flipped **** had we gone and paid guys like like a Josh Smith. We have the cap space and will make a spalsh when the time is right in nthe next few years but there is no reason to go overpay for a player when you need to worry about developing your own talent first. This is exactly what the Raptors did they drafted Ross, DeRozan, Val and were able to get Lowry who fit perfectly to change the dynamic of the team

Knowledge
11-01-2014, 08:12 PM

Who were our quality young players? ET sucks, Spencer is a backup center at best, and Jrue was replaced by MCW. The only good player we had was Thad, who asked to be traded.

If Embiid wasn't hurt, we would have passed over Wiggins or Parker? If your answer is no then that means we drafted based on BPA, not tanking. Also there are no FA who are going to sign here for market value (pre-hinkie or post) here, we have to overpay just to get a quality player to think about us. We literally had nothing after the Bynum trade.

Last year was a definite tank/rebuild, this year is just a consequence of that. We didn't want our top pick to be hurt or to sit out, it was bad luck based on taking BPA.

IKnowHoops
11-01-2014, 08:30 PM
yeah I don't agree that they drafted Embiid, Saric and Noel so they could tank. I believe they drafted them because they were the best players available and there injury situations enabled them to tank. If those guys were healthy, they would of drafted them still.

SeoulBeatz
11-01-2014, 09:14 PM
yeah I don't agree that they drafted Embiid, Saric and Noel so they could tank. I believe they drafted them because they were the best players available and there injury situations enabled them to tank. If those guys were healthy, they would of drafted them still.

yeah coach brown is on record saying that he thought Wiggins would be in a Sixers uni up until Embiid's injury.

We drafted strictly on BPA.

THE MTL
11-01-2014, 11:31 PM
They are an embarrassment. It is crystal clear that the Sixers rather lose basketball games then to win them and it needs to stop. I wish that draft lottery resolution passed. Just wait till other teams start doing this garbage too

DemarDerozan
11-01-2014, 11:43 PM
its a different time. You cant make moves when the right opportunity doesnt present itsself. We had a deal for Howard prior to Bynum but he said he wouldnt re-sign here outside of that no big players have become available outside of Harden prior to our rebuild. Us fans would have flipped **** had we gone and paid guys like like a Josh Smith. We have the cap space and will make a spalsh when the time is right in nthe next few years but there is no reason to go overpay for a player when you need to worry about developing your own talent first. This is exactly what the Raptors did they drafted Ross, DeRozan, Val and were able to get Lowry who fit perfectly to change the dynamic of the team

And which one of those guys were top three picks? JVal was top five... But they never lost their competetive nature.

DemarDerozan
11-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Who were our quality young players? ET sucks, Spencer is a backup center at best, and Jrue was replaced by MCW. The only good player we had was Thad, who asked to be traded.

If Embiid wasn't hurt, we would have passed over Wiggins or Parker? If your answer is no then that means we drafted based on BPA, not tanking. Also there are no FA who are going to sign here for market value (pre-hinkie or post) here, we have to overpay just to get a quality player to think about us. We literally had nothing after the Bynum trade.

Last year was a definite tank/rebuild, this year is just a consequence of that. We didn't want our top pick to be hurt or to sit out, it was bad luck based on taking BPA.

Jrue was coming off an all star year when your dumbass GM traded him. He was leading the team, a playoff team, and got shipped to a rebuilding team. ****ed his career up.

DemarDerozan
11-01-2014, 11:48 PM
They are an embarrassment. It is crystal clear that the Sixers rather lose basketball games then to win them and it needs to stop. I wish that draft lottery resolution passed. Just wait till other teams start doing this garbage too

I will laugh when MCW, Embiid and Noel leave this ****** organization for putting them through years of losing without a decent FO or supporting cast...
Outside of MJ and a couple others top picks do not automatically become superstars. It's a process in which they are developed with a team. This joke of a franchise should be sold to Seattle and renamed the Sonics...
It's obvious the fans don't care that they are willfully terrible... So I guess they won't miss them either,

Hawkeye15
11-02-2014, 12:39 AM
lol waitso had we drafted Aaron Gordon over Embiid it wouldnt be a tank?

What?

Hawkeye15
11-02-2014, 12:44 AM

and great if you want to believe all of that. Seriously. Hinkie is tanking hard. Has been for the last 2-3 years. Embrace it, instead of defending the obvious. Philly bottomed out, and the NBA has a system in place to allow tanking.

IKnowHoops
11-02-2014, 02:43 AM
They are tanking, as they should. Great move to lay the foundation. 100% the best move, and as long as Embiid isn't Greg Oden after the injury, they will be a top 3-4 team in the east 4 years from now and possibly a lot better. Nothing wrong with tanking when free agency is so crazy.

2-ONE-5
11-02-2014, 09:49 AM
And which one of those guys were top three picks? JVal was top five... But they never lost their competetive nature.

bcuz youre team is in Canada you have to try and feild a competitive team every year. My point is still right the Raptors drafted young talent a signed the right vet to get them to the next level, no different then what the Sixers doing we are just taking it to the extreme

2-ONE-5
11-02-2014, 10:05 AM
What?

you said drafting Embiid was a tank move. had we took Gordon who was the next player taken would that change your opinion? Tanking is what the Celtics did the year before their big 3 they lost games intentionally down the stretch. We say tank for fun in the Sixers forum but there is a difference between tanking and rebuilding

hugepatsfan
11-02-2014, 11:25 AM
you said drafting Embiid was a tank move. had we took Gordon who was the next player taken would that change your opinion? Tanking is what the Celtics did the year before their big 3 they lost games intentionally down the stretch. We say tank for fun in the Sixers forum but there is a difference between tanking and rebuilding

What BOS did was very different. They began that season competing for the playoffs. Starting C Theo Ratliff had a season ending injury after 2 games. #2 scorer Wally Scervbiak went down for the year in game 32. His replacement, Tony Allen stepped in and was averaging 20 points a game. He looked like a star in the making… then he tore his ACL going up for a casual dunk after a reach in foul near the 3 point line. After all of this happened, Paul Pierce went down with an injury and that led to the 19 game losing streak we had. He didn't get cleared to play until late in the season and by that point, they were so far out of it that they didn't want to rush him back so they just shut him down for the year. That wasn't a tank job. They began the year with playoff hopes and then because of a huge run of injuries they sucked. The only tanking they did was not rush their franchise player back for meaningless games late in the year when they were already mathematically eliminated, opting instead to let him fully heal for next year.

I'm sure losing games and improving lottery position was a nice side benefit to that but that's not the same as a season long goal of losing games. The 76ers entered the year with the intention of losing. They're not even spending to the salary cap floor. They have to pay that money anyway but they're choosing to not use it on players. They're actually trying to put themselves in the best position to lose games as a strategy for the season.

Mell413
11-02-2014, 11:58 AM
It probably is the right move to bottom out, but it still isn't good for the league to have a team this bad. There's probably only 3 guys on the roster worth caring about.

2-ONE-5
11-02-2014, 01:05 PM
What BOS did was very different. They began that season competing for the playoffs. Starting C Theo Ratliff had a season ending injury after 2 games. #2 scorer Wally Scervbiak went down for the year in game 32. His replacement, Tony Allen stepped in and was averaging 20 points a game. He looked like a star in the making… then he tore his ACL going up for a casual dunk after a reach in foul near the 3 point line. After all of this happened, Paul Pierce went down with an injury and that led to the 19 game losing streak we had. He didn't get cleared to play until late in the season and by that point, they were so far out of it that they didn't want to rush him back so they just shut him down for the year. That wasn't a tank job. They began the year with playoff hopes and then because of a huge run of injuries they sucked. The only tanking they did was not rush their franchise player back for meaningless games late in the year when they were already mathematically eliminated, opting instead to let him fully heal for next year.

I'm sure losing games and improving lottery position was a nice side benefit to that but that's not the same as a season long goal of losing games. The 76ers entered the year with the intention of losing. They're not even spending to the salary cap floor. They have to pay that money anyway but they're choosing to not use it on players. They're actually trying to put themselves in the best position to lose games as a strategy for the season.

Our GM doesnt believe in overpaying for mediocre talent with the hopes to win 5 more games bcuz that doesnt benefit anyone in the long run. Why sign some overrated vet more than he is worth to mess with what you are trying to build and develop. Josh Smith is the best example of this in Detroit.

2-ONE-5
11-02-2014, 01:10 PM
It probably is the right move to bottom out, but it still isn't good for the league to have a team this bad. There's probably only 3 guys on the roster worth caring about.

we now have 5 legit players that would get minutes on other teams lol. Noel, MCW, Wroten, Hollis Thompson, and Shved looks good early on.

Grizzly Adams
11-02-2014, 01:31 PM
I agree that comparing the 2006-07 Celtics to the current 76ers isn't accurate at all. Injuries decimated them that year. While I don't support the way the 76ers are operating, it's their team and they can make the moves to build the team as they see fit.

The tanking rule didn't pass as of now, so if that's how they want to run things by all means go for it. Definitely hurts their revenue and publicity short term, but let's not assume that this process will pan out for them. It could also completely backfire and set the franchise back even more. If it does work out for them, so be it. Like I said I don't agree with it, but it's not my team. The executive members of the team have the right to make any move according to the rules as they wish to build and protect their asset.

Crackadalic
11-02-2014, 01:47 PM
If they wasn't tanking/rebuilding however you call it they would have been 2nd round fodder the next ten years.

This is the best move for the franchise to become championship contenders soon. Now it's up to them to make the right moves in the mean time.

Develop your star rookies, trade a few to net a all star player and go FA shopping

hugepatsfan
11-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Our GM doesnt believe in overpaying for mediocre talent with the hopes to win 5 more games bcuz that doesnt benefit anyone in the long run. Why sign some overrated vet more than he is worth to mess with what you are trying to build and develop. Josh Smith is the best example of this in Detroit.

I understand not signing long term deals but I'm not talking about that. The 76ers are paying money this year to make up for how much below the floor they are. I'm sure they could have landed some guys on 1 year deals with that money. But like you said, they don't want to risk winning 5 more games. Now I could understand if they didn't want to take minutes away from guys they're trying to develop, but you yourself said that there are only 5 guys on the team that are legit so there's plenty of room in the rotation. They're intentionally putting themselves in the best position to lose games. I understand why they're doing it and agree it's in their best interest long term but all you PHI fans can stop insulting our intelligence by throwing your hands up and saying "tanking?!?! No, we're just rebuilding" as if there's no distinction between the two. What the 76ers are doing is an embarrassment to the game right now, no matter what the long term intentions of the plan is.

beasted86
11-02-2014, 04:47 PM
If they wasn't tanking/rebuilding however you call it they would have been 2nd round fodder the next ten years.

This is the best move for the franchise to become championship contenders soon. Now it's up to them to make the right moves in the mean time.

Develop your star rookies, trade a few to net a all star player and go FA shopping

How are you guys so confident this rebuild will result in a contender though?

Wizards had the trio of Agent Zero, Caron, and Jamison and were basically first round fast food for all except the very first year when the made the 2nd round only to get swept by the HEAT.

They went the long rebuild route through the draft, and would you call them a contender now? It doesn't always work out the way you hoped. They missed 5 playoffs straight and they have a team that's likely not going to the Finals. I expect Philly to miss probably 6 or more... not quite as bad as the Wolves, but close. Nothing personal, but I'm just not confident in their draft strategy and personnel doing the drafting, just like with Wolves management.

2-ONE-5
11-02-2014, 04:58 PM
I understand not signing long term deals but I'm not talking about that. The 76ers are paying money this year to make up for how much below the floor they are. I'm sure they could have landed some guys on 1 year deals with that money. But like you said, they don't want to risk winning 5 more games. Now I could understand if they didn't want to take minutes away from guys they're trying to develop, but you yourself said that there are only 5 guys on the team that are legit so there's plenty of room in the rotation. They're intentionally putting themselves in the best position to lose games. I understand why they're doing it and agree it's in their best interest long term but all you PHI fans can stop insulting our intelligence by throwing your hands up and saying "tanking?!?! No, we're just rebuilding" as if there's no distinction between the two. What the 76ers are doing is an embarrassment to the game right now, no matter what the long term intentions of the plan is.

whats wrong with giving yound guys a shot? we gave Thompson a shot as a UDFA and he led a ll rooks in 3pt% and this year we are giving 3 new guys a shot but 2 of them wont last long

2-ONE-5
11-02-2014, 04:59 PM

Wizards had the trio of Agent Zero, Caron, and Jamison and were basically first round fast food for all except the very first year when the made the 2nd round only to get swept by the HEAT.

They went the long rebuild route through the draft, and would you call them a contender now? It doesn't always work out the way you hoped. They missed 5 playoffs straight and they have a team that's likely not going to the Finals. I expect Philly to miss probably 6 or more... not quite as bad as the Wolves, but close. Nothing personal, but I'm just not confident in their draft strategy and personnel doing the drafting, just like with Wolves management.

not confident in our drafting? you do realize this is a whole new FO from top to bottom right? They have done a great job of drafting thus thus far

slashsnake
11-02-2014, 05:23 PM

Yes because 10 million on Kwame Brown and Jason Richardson is what's helping you develop (almost forgot they were 76ers last year). Or a way to get up above the salary floor without actually winning any games.

I think that's the epitome of tanking with what they are doing there. You don't have to like the term. I don't even care that they are, its a good strategy. But if you looked up "tanking" in the dictionary, it would pretty much just show you the sixers the past few years.

You don't have to pay a guy for a multi-year contract to win 5 more games that season by signing better veterans instead of a pile of no names and failed draft picks.

You just don't have to give piles of minutes to fringe young players who obviously aren't ready for them.

You don't have to milk out every single injury (league high 17 missed games due to injury).

You don't have to try and find out what is the craziest starting lineup we can make tonight.

You just don't have to go under the salary floor as the cheapest NBA team EVER on the way.

You don't have to trade Hawes, Turner, and Allen for basically nothing.

Really, you got Byron Mullens, the least effective player on that 7 win Bobcat team. Gave up a 2nd round pick (nearly what you got for Hawes), in order to get a center who doesn't defend, protect the rim, or do anything. He's a 3 point specialist... that can't shoot the 3.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. I use the Hornets 8 or so years ago of a rebuild that didn't. Arguable #1 talented pick in Morrison, a top young PG in the game (Felton) with a vet backup playing excellent ball (Brevin Knight), a double double machine (Okafor), and a tough rapidly improving forward who looks like an all-star (Gerald Wallace).

DoMeFavors
11-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Why would a sixer fan pay money to go to a game?

Jamiecballer
11-02-2014, 05:59 PM
The problem with tanking is that when you set your expectations so low people usually live up to them.

TheIlladelph16
11-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Why would a sixer fan pay money to go to a game?

Bc I get to go watch Nerlens Noel and MCW play for a total of like $5 (including travel to the stadium).... Tough to beat that. The fans certainly aren't getting shafted with the tickets. You can get Sixers tickets for under a buck the night of the game if you want. This was the case even before they started their rebuild just over a year ago.

Next season we could have a starting lineup with MCW, Noel, Embiid and Saric plus whatever player we draft in the Top 10 this year. That's a lot of high ceiling talent to look forward to, it just requires a little patience.

DoMeFavors
11-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Bc I get to go watch Nerlens Noel and MCW play for a total of like $5 (including travel to the stadium).... Tough to beat that. The fans certainly aren't getting shafted with the tickets. You can get Sixers tickets for under a buck the night of the game if you want. This was the case even before they started their rebuild just over a year ago.

Next season we could have a starting lineup with MCW, Noel, Embiid and Saric plus whatever player we draft in the Top 10 this year. That's a lot of high ceiling talent to look forward to, it just requires a little patience.

well to watch any NBA basketball game for 5 dollars or a dollar is great. But anything more unless you are seeing LeBron or Durant is a waste.

Crackadalic
11-02-2014, 06:45 PM

That Wizards team was not even a championship contender with those three. Just 1 all star and 2 really good players

They blew up the roster because of some dumbass bringing guns and started the so called john wall era in 2010 and only did it for 4 years. They got a stud in Beal and made some great moves to become really good in the future

Philly's way may be frown upon but what other way could they have gotten if they didn't trade everyone. Their best players after AI was Jrue Holiday and Iggy.

They now have a chance to stockpile talent and groom them while they are on their rookie contracts.

MCW was rookie of the year. Noel had the talent to be the best player in his draft and is showing it. Embid has Hakeem Potential. That dude Saric could be one of the better forwards in a strong draft class

They have ton of young talent and still have a bunch of picks.

Once they develop them as much as they can they can trade for a legit star.

I'm not saying **** will be that smooth but it's the only way they can be good later.

Look at the kings. They had Cousins and and Tyreke but they made the mistake on being bad but not bad enough especially in the west which hurt them getting top picks later on and now they're stuck with Cousins and Gay only being good enough to fight for a playoff spot

More-Than-Most
11-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Its only allowed if the Thunder/cavs/magic/bucks do it

2-ONE-5
11-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Yes because 10 million on Kwame Brown and Jason Richardson is what's helping you develop (almost forgot they were 76ers last year). Or a way to get up above the salary floor without actually winning any games.

I think that's the epitome of tanking with what they are doing there. You don't have to like the term. I don't even care that they are, its a good strategy. But if you looked up "tanking" in the dictionary, it would pretty much just show you the sixers the past few years.

You don't have to pay a guy for a multi-year contract to win 5 more games that season by signing better veterans instead of a pile of no names and failed draft picks.

You just don't have to give piles of minutes to fringe young players who obviously aren't ready for them.

You don't have to milk out every single injury (league high 17 missed games due to injury).

You don't have to try and find out what is the craziest starting lineup we can make tonight.

You just don't have to go under the salary floor as the cheapest NBA team EVER on the way.

You don't have to trade Hawes, Turner, and Allen for basically nothing.

Really, you got Byron Mullens, the least effective player on that 7 win Bobcat team. Gave up a 2nd round pick (nearly what you got for Hawes), in order to get a center who doesn't defend, protect the rim, or do anything. He's a 3 point specialist... that can't shoot the 3.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. I use the Hornets 8 or so years ago of a rebuild that didn't. Arguable #1 talented pick in Morrison, a top young PG in the game (Felton) with a vet backup playing excellent ball (Brevin Knight), a double double machine (Okafor), and a tough rapidly improving forward who looks like an all-star (Gerald Wallace).

who cares about the salary floor its meaningless. We only trade 2nd round picks that are incredibly protected to the point we will likely never actually give them up, go check all of them out if you dont believe me. The best way to develop young player is to play them, case and point MCW, Thompson, and Wroten last year alone.

2-ONE-5
11-02-2014, 06:58 PM
well to watch any NBA basketball game for 5 dollars or a dollar is great. But anything more unless you are seeing LeBron or Durant is a waste.

i would rather pay 25$ to watch this Sixers team (with MCW) then pay the same for a Nets game

DoMeFavors
11-02-2014, 07:29 PM
i would rather pay 25$ to watch this Sixers team (with MCW) then pay the same for a Nets game

You are a sixers fan, but you could probably watch games similar to sixers games at a d2 college game. Since I don't know who 4/5 of sixers roster is.

2-ONE-5
11-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Sixers are a much more exciting/fun team to watch regardless of record or how may players names you know

DoMeFavors
11-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Sixers are a much more exciting/fun team to watch regardless of record or how may players names you know

how are they exciting if they don't win games?

Hawkeye15
11-02-2014, 08:27 PM

If they would have drafted a player that will contribute? Meh, a little, but one move won't change the pattern alone.

Yep, I am totally aware the Sixers aren't the first team to tank...

There is a difference between tanking and rebuilding. Tanking is literally trying to lose games on purpose. Which is what the Sixers have been doing (not the players/coaches, but Hinkie has been drafting players who can't play, and trading away actual starters for anything, thereby giving the team zip talent level to win).

Hawkeye15
11-02-2014, 08:29 PM

No, your GM doesn't believe his team is in a position to put the talent to win a single game on the floor.

That is called tanking.

2-ONE-5
11-02-2014, 09:01 PM

watch one and find out while league pass is free. Also the 3-0 start last year was absolutly nuts being there live for the 2 home games.

2-ONE-5
11-02-2014, 09:02 PM
No, your GM doesn't believe his team is in a position to put the talent to win a single game on the floor.

That is called tanking.

tanking is losing game on purpose thats the not the case here. Our GM is willing to evaluate as much young talent as possible even if it results in losses. Its not like adding 1-2 vets is gonna change anything anyway

DoMeFavors
11-02-2014, 09:04 PM
watch one and find out while league pass is free. Also the 3-0 start last year was absolutly nuts being there live for the 2 home games.

As a non Sixer fans their games aren't entertaining, most of the players lack NBA level talent and most of the games are blowouts. Maybe if I was a sixers fan I would like to watch to see MCW and Noel develop but other than that I don't see non sixer fans being entertained.

2-ONE-5
11-02-2014, 11:22 PM
all the games so far were tight going into the 4th and then fall apart like young teams do. Would have started to if MCW was playing though. sorry but the Nets are one of the most boring teams to watch in the league, winning or not. Most teams that play uptempo ball are fun to watch

DoMeFavors
11-02-2014, 11:33 PM
all the games so far were tight going into the 4th and then fall apart like young teams do. Would have started to if MCW was playing though. sorry but the Nets are one of the most boring teams to watch in the league, winning or not. Most teams that play uptempo ball are fun to watch

The Nets have nothing to do with the sixers though

2-ONE-5
11-03-2014, 09:41 AM
just using youir team as a comparison since u questioned why any fan would want to go to a game. like i said we might lose a lot but most games this year will be fun to watch unlike a team like the nets who have no starsa and play at a snails pace

Burkey3472
11-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Do people really believe that they drafted Noel, Embiid, and Saric because they knew they wouldn't be playing this year and it would allow them to get a higher pick back? Really? Noel was one of the top players on the board before his injury and he fell to 6, that's great value. They didn't take him because he was injured, they took him because he was clearly the best talent on the board. Same thing with Embiid. Embiid was the number 1 player on the board before his injury and he was clearly the best player on the board at number 3 when the Sixers picked him. You can argue with Saric but they didn't pass up anyone with crazy high potential to get him.

2-ONE-5
11-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Pelicans actually drafted Noel and traded him to us for Holiday then we drafted his replacement in MCW at 11. But we had a deal in place with NO as long as one of Noel, Bennett, Oladipo was available

NYCkid12
11-03-2014, 11:33 AM
where was the outrage when Cleveland "tanked" to get LeBron or when OKC/Seattle "tanked" to get a great players (Durant/Westbrook)

I mean what is the alternative, signing mid-level free agents and being middle of the pack like Atlanta, getting bounced in the 1st and 2nd round every year

HeatFan
11-03-2014, 12:04 PM
people are harping on them picking embiid and noel in the last two drafts as further proof of the tanking....which is true.

But at the same time, they got what was projected as the #1 picks in each draft for less because of the injuries.

Noel was supposed to be the #1 last year and was gotten at #6 or somewhere around there.
Embiid was heavily rumored to be taken before parker and wiggins at #1 until his injury. They got him at #3.

They got what was supposed to be the #1 pick at #3 and #6 instead. Yes, it'll suck to not have each for a full year, but i don't know if its a bad thing to go for the best talent, even though injured, to help your franchise grow.

good point

ghettosean
11-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Sixers are a disgrace because they make it blatantly obvious that they are tanking but if you want to direct your anger somewhere it should be at the NBA and their lottery system. They are the ones rewarding the sixers for being a disgrace.

sixer04fan
11-03-2014, 02:50 PM
The majority of intelligent Sixers fans understand and support this rebuilding program. Fans who have stuck it out watching a team stuck in mediocrity for the last 12 years. For LB and other outsiders who haven't been paying attention to Sixers basketball for the last decade, it's easy to criticize.

To the fans of the many teams in the NBA whose current rosters will never be good enough to win a title, who don't have the cap space or trade assets to acquire a superstar and sign him for the long term, who are playing well enough to be respectable now but also well enough to never get a superstar in the draft... Keep looking down on us. Your team will never win a title with your current blueprint. And many of you secretly wish your team was doing what the Sixers are doing.

PhillyFaninLA
11-03-2014, 03:03 PM

Fast, long, athletic, aggressive (defensively), solid rebounding.

They are an entertaining team to watch.

If you like watching basketball you can find things to enjoy watching about there mix.

SMH!
11-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Would you guys be happier if we just made a mediocre team that got bounced out of the 1st round every year?

DoMeFavors
11-03-2014, 03:04 PM
just using youir team as a comparison since u questioned why any fan would want to go to a game. like i said we might lose a lot but most games this year will be fun to watch unlike a team like the nets who have no starsa and play at a snails pace

People like games that are actually close, they don't want to watch a team get blown out. That is why I don't think many people will show up to sixer games.

PhillyFaninLA
11-03-2014, 03:04 PM
The Nets have nothing to do with the sixers though

Then why did you initially bring them up in this topic? (rhetorical question)

PhillyFaninLA
11-03-2014, 03:07 PM
People like games that are actually close, they don't want to watch a team get blown out. That is why I don't think many people will show up to sixer games.

The final score is not indicative to the actual games. They have been close for most of the games, and fairly back and forth, this team is so young and just doesn't know how to finish or have finishers at this point. They have been played closely until late.

DoMeFavors
11-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Fast, long, athletic, aggressive (defensively), solid rebounding.

They are an entertaining team to watch.

If you like watching basketball you can find things to enjoy watching about there mix.

I see nobody exciting to watch on the Sixers

2-ONE-5
11-03-2014, 03:58 PM
lol but i bet you find watching Joe Johnson and a broken down KG and D-Will exciting right?

sixer04fan
11-03-2014, 04:09 PM
So are the Sixers an embarrassment to the league because nobody will come to their games? Thankfully we have an owner who's primarily focused on properly building a long term championship team instead of one who's primarily focused on putting together a team just good enough to sell more tickets in the short term.

Chronz
11-03-2014, 04:38 PM
There should be a division for teams that wish to tank. Have them play each other and let the grade a teams duke it out. 68 game schedule

SeoulBeatz
11-03-2014, 05:05 PM
There should be a division for teams that wish to tank. Have them play each other and let the grade a teams duke it out. 68 game schedule

You don't want those easy wins though??

2-ONE-5
11-03-2014, 05:15 PM
ef that. beating Miami on opening night last year was amazing, Bulls too a few nights later.

MMC1710
11-03-2014, 06:50 PM
I can give this plan this season....but after this there HAS to be improvement from this roster....3 drafts resulting in players from the top 6 should result in improveent...

2012 was not a 'tank' year....They were bad under Doug Collins still reeling from the Bynum fiasco...they were awarded the #11 pick in the draft...they selected MCW....they traded Jrue Holiday for the rights to the #6 pick that the Pelicans used on Noel...Noel was supposed to be the first player taken in the draft....but because of his injury he lasted til #6...that's not the Sixers' fault...the 5 GMs before that are the fools that passed over him....and the Pelicans traded him to us.

2013 - yes that was "Winless for Wiggins"....Wiggins was being hyped as a franchise changing players....Why would the Sixers try to improve enough to barely make the playoffs and miss out on a franchise changing player? Unfortunately, they landed the 3rd pick in the draft....Joel Embiid, who during the college season was seen as the consensus #1 pick until his injury, was bypassed again my 2 teams....Why should the Sixers pass over a Hakeen Olajuwaon type player? Mere coincidence that the drafts #1 college player suffered major injuries...it just so happened that the Sixers could afford to be patient with their rehab time.....Turner, Hawes, Young, Allen were not going to improve....you were getting them at their ceiling....so Hinkie got what he could for them before they walked....again no free agents were coming to this team in the offseason unless they were looking to prove themselves on a one year deal....even Danny Granger didnt want to play here and he made that well known....

2014 - I'm hoping this is the last year of starting D league players....I want to see improvement in '15-16 when they have MCW, Noel, Embiid, McDaniels, and their 2015 draft pick...All the young players will have experience and have played together for at least a year....The Sixers should have 4/5 of their core (until Saric comes over) and hopefully that'll be enough to push them to the playoffs and make them more competitive for the Championship...

2015...Hinkie has had 2 seasons to bring in depth for this roster outside it's high draft picks....it's time for Brett Brown to show he can be the coach of this team and it's young roster..

mRc08
11-03-2014, 08:57 PM
i think what they are doing sucks. Still I kind of feel like some of the blame needs to go to the NBA. There are plenty of teams out there who would benefit from "Tanking", the sixers are just the one team to actually do it. The way the lottery is set up promotes that teams will benefit from doing bad.

Further along those lines, when superstars are ultimately determining their own teams i the modern NBA, teams like the sixers, atlanta, orlando, and others don't really have a chance at landing any marquee free agents. When all the franchise players are leaving their small market teams (love, lebron, melo, dwill, dwight, garnett, the list goes on), how can you really blame a team for tanking? Its pretty much what the cubs have been doing for the past 4 years.

I'm not saying that the NBA should step in and limit where players can choose to go, or even that they should change the lottery system. But if an NBA owner is willing to take the financial hit of tanking consecutive years, i feel that its perfectly in their right. I would even go as far as to say more teams should do this. Imagine if the sixers are able to land the number 1 pick and get someone like anthony davis. It would completely turn their franchise around. The level of competition may be a disgrace to the game, but what other options do these teams really have?

SeoulBeatz
11-03-2014, 09:10 PM
i think what they are doing sucks. Still I kind of feel like some of the blame needs to go to the NBA. There are plenty of teams out there who would benefit from "Tanking", the sixers are just the one team to actually do it. The way the lottery is set up promotes that teams will benefit from doing bad.

Further along those lines, when superstars are ultimately determining their own teams i the modern NBA, teams like the sixers, atlanta, orlando, and others don't really have a chance at landing any marquee free agents. When all the franchise players are leaving their small market teams (love, lebron, melo, dwill, dwight, garnett, the list goes on), how can you really blame a team for tanking? Its pretty much what the cubs have been doing for the past 4 years.

I'm not saying that the NBA should step in and limit where players can choose to go, or even that they should change the lottery system. But if an NBA owner is willing to take the financial hit of tanking consecutive years, i feel that its perfectly in their right. I would even go as far as to say more teams should do this. Imagine if the sixers are able to land the number 1 pick and get someone like anthony davis. It would completely turn their franchise around. The level of competition may be a disgrace to the game, but what other options do these teams really have?

Nailed it.

2-ONE-5
11-03-2014, 11:07 PM
well Sixers are a major market and with a competitive team and with the way things are shaping up it wont be hard to land a big FA. Winning and money is what ultimately lures players and we are positioned to offer both both in 2-3 years. Love doesnt go to Cleveland without James, Howard probably doesnt go to Houston without Harden there, etc

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-04-2014, 08:59 AM
When Embiid gets healthy. That front line of Embiid/Noel will win some games. Also MCW showed he could win some games all by himself last season before injury.

SeoulBeatz
11-04-2014, 09:17 AM
When Embiid gets healthy. That front line of Embiid/Noel will win some games. Also MCW showed he could win some games all by himself last season before injury.

Yeah, even with how bad we were overall last season, we went 1-15 without MCW in the lineup. He makes this team better, especially considering the PG's we have on the roster (Wroten and Shved) are so turnover prone.

Tony_Starks
11-05-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm glad Larry Brown finally said what most of us have been saying. It's a flat out disgrace to the game what Philly is doing. Intentionally putting a inferior team out there to tank and stockpile draft picks.

The worst part is they don't even try to disguise it. It's basically yeah we're going to be terrible for like 5 years, then we'll be able to compete!

SportsFanatic10
11-05-2014, 06:41 PM
can't hate a team for planning ahead. it's just the way the system is set up so they are taking advantage of it. don't hate the player hate the game. at least they're thinking big even if it is ugly now. it's no fun always being stuck in the middle outside the lottery with no chance to improve and take the next step, and overpaying to keep your mediocre team together. it's on the nba to come up with a better system.

SeoulBeatz
11-05-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm glad Larry Brown finally said what most of us have been saying. It's a flat out disgrace to the game what Philly is doing. Intentionally putting a inferior team out there to tank and stockpile draft picks.

The worst part is they don't even try to disguise it. It's basically yeah we're going to be terrible for like 5 years, then we'll be able to compete!

Lol, what good does disguising it do?

Fans are smarter than that. Sure we could've signed Boozer and Ben Gordon to provide "veteran leadership" (we have J Rich for that) but they would've added 2-4 wins max.

There's no need to add vets when they have just as little future on this team as the d-leaguers that are currently making up half of our roster. There is no point. It's the smarter thing to do.

This way we can give Tony Wroten a shitload of minutes so he can develop into the solid backup PG we hope he can be, instead of Ben Gordon hogging those minutes and just letting him go in free agency when our pieces finally develop.

5ass
11-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Lol, what good does disguising it do?

Fans are smarter than that. Sure we could've signed Boozer and Ben Gordon to provide "veteran leadership" (we have J Rich for that) but they would've added 2-4 wins max.

There's no need to add vets when they have just as little future on this team as the d-leaguers that are currently making up half of our roster. There is no point. It's the smarter thing to do.

This way we can give Tony Wroten a shitload of minutes so he can develop into the solid backup PG we hope he can be, instead of Ben Gordon hogging those minutes and just letting him go in free agency when our pieces finally develop.

Is j rich even getting any minutes? There's value in having someone like Gordon on the court really communicating with the young guys. The little things like keeping them from getting frustrated, talking to them after commiting a foul or during any deadball situation. Even Frye has really helped the young guys move on the perimeter.

SeoulBeatz
11-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Is j rich even getting any minutes? There's value in having someone like Gordon on the court really communicating with the young guys. The little things like keeping them from getting frustrated, talking to them after commiting a foul or during any deadball situation. Even Frye has really helped the young guys move on the perimeter.

No, he's out for the season but he sits at the end of the bench and gives pep talks to the players. Don't know what he's saying, I assume it helps though lol. But we don't need a player coach when we have a Head Coach and staff who makes the players work harder than any vet could.

More-Than-Most
11-05-2014, 08:30 PM
well Sixers are a major market and with a competitive team and with the way things are shaping up it wont be hard to land a big FA. Winning and money is what ultimately lures players and we are positioned to offer both both in 2-3 years. Love doesnt go to Cleveland without James, Howard probably doesnt go to Houston without Harden there, etc

. Now the way the NBA is superstar want to play with other big time superstars. This is why Tanking is a need to get out of purgatory hell

JNA17
11-05-2014, 10:24 PM
I hope their plan fails.

Oh their plan will fail big time. Just look at the Kings. They have been a lottery team for how long now? 8 or 9 years? And they are STILL a lottery team for years to come. Especially if Cousins leaves in a few years.

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-06-2014, 01:49 AM
Even Theo Epstein couldn't save this franchise. It is just way too difficult to come out of mediocrity in the NBA. In MLB you have a farm system where you can stash and develop loads of talent like the Cubs have the last 4 years. If you're an NBA team stuck in hell, the only way you're getting out is if a superstar falls in your lap in the draft. And that is the only way since superstar free agents will either stay with their team because they're contenders or bolt to another contender.